Let's Play! Wuzzy Journeys Through Sacred Gold... the Nuzlocke kind of Journey (Update #21)

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist

Contrary to what the above picture says, this is actually a run of Pokemon Sacred Gold (not to be confused with Heart Gold), which was a hack created by Drayano60 back in the day. In a nutshell, this game is essentially a much more difficult version of Pokemon Heart Gold (with a level curve that makes sense, and actual areas to grind so it is easier in that sense) with a bunch of new changes to keep the game fresh. So I've Nuzlocke-d this game before, and since I haven't touched this game fully in a while, I decided to relive my fantasy again and Nuzlocke it again.

Also I'm Wuzzy/HotFuzzBall, I'm actually not dead (I've been active on Discord and I post occasionally on other people's walls)

Notable Changes Sacred Gold (and it's partner Storm Silver) include...
  • All 493 Pokemon (Kanto-Sinnoh) are available
  • Changes to certain (majority of the national Pokedex) Pokemon including type changes, stat buffs, movepool changes, ability changes/additions, and more
  • Harder overworld and boss trainers (as well as additional overworld and boss trainers)
  • New events exclusive to the game (to prevent spoilers, I won't delve into them now)
  • Easier evolutionary methods (mainly trade evolutions, level evolutions remain unchanged)
  • Item and TM/HM relocations
  • and more! (that I probably don't remember of the top of my head)
Anyways let's break down the rules, I'm sure everyone knows the gist of a Nuzlocke but I'll put em here just so it's there (I've added some modifications and a few extra rules).
  1. Any Pokemon that faints must be boxed immediately and may not be used for the remainder of the game
  2. The 1st encounter in each new route/area is the only Pokemon you are allowed to catch in the area, and nothing else
  3. Species Clause - I may not catch the same Pokemon twice (even if they have more than 1 evolutionary path), if my 1st encounter happens to be a Pokemon I already have, I must capture the next unique encounter
  4. Shiny Clause - All Shiny Pokemon can be captured and used, even if they are encountered after the 1st encounter in a new route/area
  5. All Legendary/Mythical Pokemon are banned
  6. Gift and Interactable Pokemon do not count as route/new area encounters
  7. I must nickname every single Pokemon I catch
  8. Black out = Game Over (even if I have Pokemon in my reserve box)
  9. (Exclusive to SG/SS) I may be able to catch certain Pokemon to trade or to get certain items (will get into both later), that I may not be able to obtain otherwise. I'm not allowed to use these Pokemon after I have obtained said items and they must be boxed immediately

With that said and done... time to dive right in! Also I'll try to explain more specific changes (Pokemon changes, etc.) as I progress through the game, once again there are a ton of changes so you'll probably have to read up (or play the game) the documentation if you are curious about all the changes made.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Alright time to start!

Told you so... it is Sacred Gold (and Storm Silver I guess). Anyways, because Professor Elm couldn't be bothered to greet us, we get Professor Oak instead to tell all about the wonders of the Johto region.

After just a bunch of A button mashing, we get to everyone's favorite question... Are you a boy or girl? Apparently we aren't important enough to be remembered. I chose Ethan (or the male character) and named him Wuzzy (after my Discord name).

We end up in this cute lil' room after being zapped in here by Professor Oak. I wished I had a room that looked like this.

We get greeted by mom and this is an added feature in Sacred Gold (and Storm Silver obviously but, I'll just be mentioning SG from now on). We get the bicycle, GB sounds, and running shoes from the get go. I probably will never use the bike since I love the Pokemon follow feature sooooo... I'll only use it when necessary.

Side note - I haven't played vanilla HGSS in a looong while, so I'm not sure if you get the running shoes at this point in the actual game, so don't quote me on the above statement.

After receiving all of our stuff, it's time to visit the lab! Probably to get our starter, whooooo knows? I also changed my border to be more fitting of the game, it's now gold :D

Then we got this creepy guy who shoves me out of the way when I interacted with him, if only you could have the option to shove him back. But... I guess they don't want to teach kids it's ok to be violent (or something like that idk)

Yeah yeah yeah, after a long introduction we finaaaally get to pick our starter, the most important step in any game really (even if the Johto starters aren't exactly my favorite trio)

In the spirit of the Nuzlocke, one of the optional rules is that you pick your starter based on your trainer ID. If your ID ends in 1-3 means you pick Grass, 4-6 means you pick Fire, and 7-9 means you pick Water. Well... since I my ID ends in 0, it means I get to choose whichever starter I want (lucky! honestly did not want to get stuck with Chikorita, sorry not sorry)

So I chose Cyndaquil for this run! I've used Totodile for too much whenever I replay SG/SS so I wanted to try something new. Ain't Cyndaquil's over-world sprite the cutest <3

YES! THIS IS THE BEST FEATURE IN POKEMON EVER! I'm sad they removed it in future games (I don't count the overworld pokemon in USUM).

Follow up task, we have to go run an errand for this guy. First he doesn't even greet us and all of a sudden we have to go help him out >.> Lame if you ask me... But, time to pay a visit to Mr. Pokemon

Also here is Cyndaquil! Gentle nature is not bad (+SpD -Def) and I could've gotten something way worse. I'm not mad at it. The nickname theme I've chosen for this run (and a lot of my personal runs of mons) is Fire Emblem characters! WOOOOOO! So Arvis is some "evil" fire mage from FE4, that's about it really, thought it was fitting

Not too many big changes to Cyndaquil. It can get Flash Fire in this game and it will learn Earth Power (63) as a Typhlosion if it reaches that far, oh and Thunder Punch at Level 36 too.

We meet Lyra again, who just starts to boss us around. She literally ignored us in the beginning of the game sooooo, that's fun I guess

Paid our 2nd (or first depending on how you see it) visit to our mom and receive the Pokegear! Honestly, the phone call system is probably the most obnoxious thing ever when you hear that triggering ringing sound. But, I'll probably still end up accepting numbers from overworld trainers because I just have to.

Speaking of phone calls, we get Elm's number as we set out to Cherrygrove City.

Look at me and cute lil' Arvis <3 This is us setting out on our wonderful journey errand

As mentioned in the OP, all 493 Pokemon (Kanto-Sinnoh Dex) are available in this game. The majority of them (if not all) are available for capture in the Johto region (or through evolution). Obviously, this Bidoof doesn't count as my first mon route encounter since I don't have any Pokeballs on me yet.

AN AMBUSH! We get lured around by this old man, at night mind you, like it's no big deal. Thanks for telling me information I ALREADY KNOW (he just pointed out the PC, Mart, the ocean, and where his house his in case you were wondering).

Though we get the Old Rod very early in the game (in the vanilla game you get this in Route 32, aka the route to Union Cave, after you beat Falkner obviously). So this means we can snag 2 additional encounters in Cherrygrove City and New Bark Town.

This old man sure looooves to ambush me, well at least he gives us something useful being access to the world map (not that I'd need it since I don't plan on capturing Raikou or Entei and I generally know where everything is... oops spoilers but I'm sure y'all already know).

Now ONWARD Arvis!

Well I know the first time I played this game, I was excited because I thought this was Mr. Pokemon's house... but it isn't. This guy must get his feelings hurt a lot :c

RIP the text got cut off but, I got the Apricorn Box from him. Not too useful for me honestly since I don't plan on making smoothies or Apricorn balls sooo... thanks? I mean at least I have the option to if I want.

and witness me taking an Apricorn, this will probably be the first and last time I'll be seeing this animation. Side note, I like the sound the Apricorns make when they pop out of the tree

Then there's this brat/troll in the way, WHAT BIG BATTLE? Well going through him would've been a detour so I guess it worked out in the end.

After a butt ton of random encounters (even when I'm just walking and not running/biking through the grass), I FINALLY reach Mr. Pokemon's house. Oh and Cynthia is here too I guess (this is obviously an added feature into the game).

Well she essentially reminisces and compares us to Lucas/Dawn from the DPP series which is cool, but the only thing I really want from this conversation is the free and early Eevee!

aaaaaaaaand she left... cool

This is Xane, contrary to his appearance, he is actually male. Xane is a shapeshifter/chameleon in FE 1,3,11,12 who can mimic your allies, so the nickname obviously fits a mon with many different evolutionary paths. Not too thrilled about having a Jolly natured Eevee since it limits my options to 3 (Flareon, Leafeon, and Umbreon). The choice I'm gonna make is obvious but... I'll keep everything in suspense for now.

The Eeveelution line received a quite a few changes, the biggest one being TM compatibility with Grass Knot and new movepool overhauls. I won't go into detail on them until I evolve Eevee (in the next update for sure) and will only talk about the Eeveelution I obtain. Eevee is also really easy to train in this game since it comes with Adaptability (I have never seen it with Run Away before), so combined with the STAB bonus + Tackle, it can deal some pretty good damage early on.

We enter in the house and have a quick conversation with Mr. Pokemon (who doesn't even introduce himself btw, how rude) and he hands this egg with a MYSTERY Pokemon. I wonder what could it be??? /s

Apparently Elm's study focuses on Pokemon evolution, which makes sense since Gen 2 did give us quite a few baby Pokemon as well as new evolutions.

Once again, we meet Professor Oak who seems to not remember on us from the title screen, again how rude of you...

Flattery gets you everywhere in Pokemon apparently, but we don't have much of a choice so obviously we have to say yes (well the game forces you to say yes anyways).

And just like that we get sucked into child labor and we now start collecting data for him! YAY! Also a side note this Pokedex is actually the National Pokedex, after all, all 493 Pokemon are available so we'd need a larger Pokedex to record all the data.

Also we get Oak's number too, I bet if this was the anime you could make a fortune giving out Oak's number for a price. I'm sure there are a ton of kids and fans that would love his number. So I should consider myself lucky.

Apparently security in the Pokemon Lab sucks ass because we get this urgent phone call from Elm telling us to get back ASAP. He must have high hopes for some 10 (maybe 12) year old solving crime for some old guy.

Even though you have red hair, you aren't the OG Red...

Well then... we know who karma is hunting next...

Yes Totodile is good, but it'd be funnier if you stole Chikorita instead. All that work into stealing and you somehow leave the Cyndaquil for the Chikorita... feelsbad (this is irrelevant)

So we fight this dude who's not important enough to be named. Side note, I saw Passerby as Peasant for whatever reason when I was playing through this run.

Surprise, surprise he "counters" us with his Totodile. Don't really need to explain movesets since you can probably guess the 2 moves it has

Luckily I got a crit with Tackle so, the battle ended fairly quickly (ez game ez life)

Well you should've started by winning this battle then you brat, but good luck with that.

Also rookie mistake, NEVER drop your trainer card. So already this guy is obviously starting out on the right foot

aaaaand we're back, home sweet home

What a warm welcome after having to lug myself to run errands, I'm the one getting accused of stealing

Because Elm doesn't care apparently, Lyra stepped in to defend me, what a great friend ;w;

I like how Lyra just decided to withhold that information rather than telling Elm, the police, or just someone in New Bark Town that hey, there's someone suspicious peering into the lab window.

Regardless, I didn't want to get too crazy with names so I opted with Silver. Though in my very first playthrough of HGSS I named him Jerk followed with the angry emoticon provided in game.

Once again, Elm just didn't really care about us :c So we just hand him the egg and leave

Oh and Elm encourages to take on the Gym challenge soooo I guess that's what we are doing now? Time to visit the fam

Unfortunately, I was kind of forced but, it seems like it'll be fun to explore the Johto region :D

Haha, no. I honestly anticipate that I will need a ton of money in this game just for TMs (you'll see in a future update) alone... soo yeah I don't want to have to go back and forth to withdraw money from my mom (also 1 less person to annoy me with phone calls)

We meet up with Lyra as we head out to the open-ish world, and this starts the glorious capture tutorial we all needed (somehow)

Sooo helpful, you just see Marill jumping in a patch of grass.

This is another fun new addition to this game specifically, Dray removed the capture tutorial to save us all the burden of button mashing. Also instead of the traditional 5 Pokeballs we get 15 (which is veery handy in a Nuzlocke in this game due to how many early encounters you can get).

Alright, time to go on a bit of a catching spree, starting with my Route 29 encounter...

Being Hoothoot! Also I forgot to heal after the fight with Silver but, it didn't really matter. Nicknamed Laslow a womanizing retainer from FE13 (and/or FE12 if you count it). Lonely nature isn't the worst thing in the world but, I'd would've preferred something better obviously.

So Hoothoot probably won't be on the team for now since, it is still kind of a mediocre Pokemon. However, it did get a handful of buffs. First of all, they replaced Keen Eye with Tinted Lens (which is great), and luckily enough I managed to snag one with Tinted Lens. Hoothoot gets Peck as a Lvl 1 move so you won't be stuck with Tackle, and Air Cutter at Lvl 9. Noctowl got a buff to SpA (76 -> 86) and can learn Heat Wave (via Heart Scale) and Nasty Plot (Lvl 62).

Though I might end up putting it on my team depending on the circumstances, I'll decide once I have a larger reserve of Pokemon.

Remember how I got the Old Rod from the old guy in Cherrygrove? Well it's time to go fishing!

Luckily I got a non-Magikarp encounter (a 5% chance encounter at that) being Chinchou! Who I named Ilyana after a gluttonous thunder mage from FE9/10. Sassy nature isn't the worst thing in the world even if it is a -Spe nature but, since Lanturn is still naturally pretty slow it won't matter too much.

Not too many big changes, just a few stat increases for Lanturn in SpA (76 -> 86) and SpD (76 -> 86). Both Chinchou and Lanturn also have Water Absorb as their 2nd possible ability (replacing Illuminate) as well.

Chinchou is a mon that I plan on using but not anytime soon. It's early level up movepool isn't that great so I want to wait a bit longer before I start using it.

Took a slight detour to snag my Route 46 encounter while I'm here (I always forget this place exists honestly)

Yay! I was excited to see Shinx but my excitement was short-lived when I saw that Modest nature (still using it though). I nicknamed him Seth after one of the best units in FE8, doesn't have too much of a personality besides being loyal honestly.

Shinx did get some pretty drastic changes, the biggest one being that Luxio and Luxray are Electric/Dark in this game (which honestly should've been the case in the regular games). They now have Guts added into their possible abilities pool (replacing Rivalry) and, Luxio and Luxray now learn Night Slash (Lvl 18) and Volt Tackle (Lvl 63). In addition, Luxray received a Spe buff as well (70 -> 82). Shinx also comes with Bite as a Lvl 1 move so, you have a stronger attack than Tackle to start with.

Shinx is going to be apart of my team but, I kind of regretted it considering I did not know Shinx learns actual stab (Spark) at Lvl 18 (as a Luxio). Since I hate overleveling for boss fights, looks like I'm gonna have to suck it up.

And onto Cherrygrove for my next encounter!

Now this was also a lucky find (since it is a non-Magikarp encounter!). I named her Echidna after an axe-wielding resistance leader from FE6.

Side note, this Krabby literally was scary to catch since it had Shed Skin, so it kept shedding off Thunder Waves like no big deal. In addition to almost 1-shotting my entire team with Vicegrip alone. Took 4 tries but I got it with no casualties!

So Krabby did receive quite the buff in this game, being that it learns Crabhammer reaaaally early (at Lvl 15, as opposed to Lvl 56 as a Kingler). In addition, Kingler learns the following moves: Superpower (via Heart Scale), Hammer Arm (Lvl 28, when Krabby evolves), Crush Claw (Lvl 56), and Cross Chop (Lvl 69). They also receive TM/HM compatibility with Bulk Up (Kingler only), Shadow Claw, and Waterfall (weird how it doesn't get it in regular games). Also Shell Armor has been replaced with Shed Skin in this game. I guess it's also important to note that Krabby comes with Bubblebeam (Lvl 1 move) now so it has STAB from the get go.

Time to move on, to Route 30 we go Xane!

Wee woo Species Clause alert! I actually had to go through about 3 encounters with Hoothoot before I got the next unique encounter.

aaaand all of my patience led up to this thing. Nicknamed Lara after a dancer/thief from FE5. Not much to say other than that.

Kricketot is actually easier to train in this game since it has Bug Bite as a Lvl 1 move, in addition to Run Away within its ability pool to escape really bad wild Pokemon fights. Kricketune has the possibility of getting Technician (in addition Swarm), in addition to buffs to Att (85 -> 96), Spe (65 -> 74), and bulk (but that doesn't really matter to me since Kricketune isn't exactly known for its bulk).

Not really a mon that I plan on using, like ever unless I'm down to the wire and just ran out of mons from my reserve. Soooo Kricketot will probably stay as a box warmer for quite a while.

aaaaand I take a short break to grind everyone (except Krabby since it's already overleveled) to Lvl 7; The overworld trainers that are coming up have mons around the Lvl 6-7 range.

MOVE OUT!

Another fun new addition to the game is that there are a few more overworld trainers in certain areas (not in every route) sprinkled in. As you can see, this idol and aroma lady were not in the original game but, they are trainers in this game. The lass is there to trick you.

For whatever reason, glitches like these tend to happen for me (I'm not sure if it's just me, the emulator acting up, or if it happens to everyone). If this happens to you, just immediately save and reset or else your screen goes black.

Moving on to Route 31, time for a new friend to join us!

Ehhhhh... Just kidding, Butterfree got some mad buffs in this game so I was kind of excited to get Metapod. Though Quiet nature stinks considering it is a -Spe nature (even though it is +SpA). Named Elise after the youngest Nohr royal in FE14.

Similarly to Kingler, Butterfree's movepool and stats have been buffed quite a bit. Butterfree now has Gust (Lvl 10), Air Cutter (Lvl 16), Giga Drain (Lvl 20), Air Slash (Lvl 26), Baton Pass (Lvl 32), and Psychic (Lvl 38) added to its movepool. In addition to same pretty large buffs to its stats, being SpA (80 -> 100), SpD (80 -> 100), and Spe (70 -> 80). Butterfree now has Tinted Lens added into its ability pool (alongside Compoundeyes) making it quite a good mon early on. It's really just missing Quiver Dance (but that's a gen 5 move unfortunately).

I could use Butterfree but, it won't be useful against Falkner and I can't be bothered switch training Metapod until it evolves. So for now, it will be boxed and maybe used in a the near future.

Detour #2, into the Dark Cave for some spooky encounters!

Not exactly spooky but, I got myself a Sandshrew! Calm nature sucks (-Atk +SpD) for Sandshrew overall. Also nicknamed Soleil after Laslow's womanizing child from FE14.

Sandshrew didn't get any big changes, as a Sandslash it now gets Super Fang (Lvl 57) and Earthquake (Lvl 65) so you can save that valuable TM for someone else.

Don't plan on using Sandshrew just because of that detrimental nature, there are also better Ground-types so, looks like she'll be a long-term box warmer with Kricketot.

actual spookiest thing in the Dark Cave, luckily it doesn't have Counter or Mirror Coat (Wyanut line received no changes fyi)

Man we just keep bumping into Lyra like all the time >.>

All is well, she gives us the Vs. Recorder which I probably will never use.

And viola! We have made it to Violet City after a lengthy-ish journey. Next update I'll be covering Sprout Tower, more encounters, and the maybe the gym battle against Falkner!

Arvis ♂ (Cyndaquil)
Level 9
Ability: Blaze
Gentle Nature
- Ember
- Tackle
- Smokescreen
- Leer

Xane ♂ (Eevee)
Level 8
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Tackle
- Bite
- Tail Whip
- Sand-Attack

Seth ♂ (Shinx)
Level 9
Ability: Guts
Modest Nature
- Bite
- Tackle
- Leer
- Charge

Echidna ♀ (Krabby)
Level 10
Ability: Shed Skin
Adamant Nature
- Vicegrip
- Bubblebeam
- Leer
- Mud Sport

Last edited:
While HGSS might be my favorite overall games in the franchise and the hacks I've played from Drayano are high quality (his hacks are a source of inspiration for my own), I've yet to play to play SS/SG. I was in the process of hacking the hack (as I usually do) to address some problems I heard this hack had and make some things to my liking, but for some reason, I fizzled out. Hopefully some year I'll get to these.

Anyways, I wish you luck in this run and I hope to see how you do. :)

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
@ King Feraligatr - Thank you! Yeah Dray hacks have been one of my faves besides the Kaizo series (which or either loved or hated it seems due to how hard they are), I find Dray hacks to be challenging but doable without tearing out your hair. Good luck with hacking UM though (don't overbuff Feraligatr though :P)! Dray hacks seems to be pretty nice if you need some inspiration.

@ CPU - There are actually a ton more changes (item relocation, evolutionary changes, legendary Pokemon placements, etc.) that are also present. But, I can't link the Dray's site without linking roms as well (well technically they are patches but, I'm not sure if it counts).

@ Cherub Agent - Feraligatr does have access to Dragon Dance and Ice Punch, in addition to having Intimidate in its ability pool. Krabby/Kingler just start off really strong compared to Totodile due to that valuable early Crabhammer. I love this rom too :3 I think this is like my 4th time playing it (I have only really finished it once, the other 2 are incomplete runs that I don't feel like finishing).

Aaaand welcome back to Update #2! In this update we'll be covering Sprout Tower and a few more encounters we can obtain (as mentioned in the previous update, there are a ton of encounters from New Bark Town to Violet City)

Already we can get our 1st encounter of the update (that was fast), not going to spoil what it is for now but, we just have to take a 4 question quiz

These are the 4 questions the harlequin asks in case you were curious. The answers are yes, yes, no, and no. I'm surprised I knew the answers to them (no I did not cheat and use Google, and I don't remember the answers despite playing the game before), so that was nice.

And we get a pretty amazing prize for completing the quiz, we get to choose 1 of the Kanto starters! I chose Squirtle just because I picked Charmander during my last run, so yeah...

This is Dart, he is a pirate from FE7. The nature is pretty decent (+Spe -Def) so I'm happy with that. For now, I'm going to box Squirtle until I pick up the other easy encounters I can get, so I can put together a team with what I have.

Squirtle did get some decent buffs (though buffs along the lines of Gyarados getting Hurricane in Gen 7 for example) in this game. First of all, Rain Dish got added into its ability pool, unfortunately this Squirtle has Rain Dish which is kind of useless in this game (I would've preferred Torrent). As for moves (going in evolutionary order), it learns Aqua Jet (upon evolving into Wartortle, at Lvl 16), Zen Headbutt / Zap Cannon (upon evolving into Blastoise, at Lvl 36), and Water Spout (67).

Also I organized my box system into 3 categories, YES, MAYBE, and NO. The meanings are pretty self-explanatory but, just because a mon is in a certain box, doesn't mean it's guaranteed going to be used/not used.

Time to snag some more Pokemon, with Arvis of course <3!

First Pokemon we can get is through fishing in Violet City and I hope that it isn't going to be Magikarp (I'm praying to the species clause gods, since we are guaranteed a Gyarados after all)

Success! I got myself a Poliwag! I named him Virion after a refined, yet cowardly archer (that just so happened to be a noble) from FE13. Rash nature (+SpA -SpD) pretty much pre-determines what evolutionary path I'll take with Poliwag, so it should be obvious at this point.

Poliwag didn't receive too many changes. It just gets Mud Shot at Lvl 13 (which it already has). Poliwhirl receives TM compatibility with Drain Punch in addition to Metronome at Lvl 25. Not going to delve into the changes of Politoed or Poliwrath until I evolve Poliwag since who knows, maybe I'll change my mind in the future :3

Took a slight detour (not really since we have to go here anyways) to Route 32 to get another encounter. I wished I played at night since I prefer the encounters you get at night than in the day but, it'll be ok.

Bellsprout is honestly not bad in this game with the buffs it received (more on that below). I named her Nino after an upbeat, and cheerful orphaned mage (with a pretty tragic past) from FE7.

Now Bellsprout received Razor Leaf (Lvl 9, moved from lvl 39) so this one already has access to it. Weepinbell has access to Power Whip at Lvl 39 (replacing Razor Leaf obviously), while Victreebel has access to Weather Ball (via Heart Scale) and Crunch at Lvl 33 (though I guess I might have to Heart Scale that since it seems dumb to pass up Power Whip). The Bellsprout line also has Gluttony added as a possible ability as well.

Not sure if I'm going to use Bellsprout (not anytime soon at least), but I'll consider it some time down the road.

I shall explore the Ruins of Alph next! Spooky spooky

Then apparently we crushed this guy's hopes and dreams, because our hopes and dreams isn't to become an archaeologist. Well that's unfortunate, moving on I guess.

Entered one of those weird rooms towards the northeast side of the ruins.

By we, she means I (speaking of that, I'll probably jump back and forth between using we and I in my commentary, even if I'm the only one playing the game)

ooooo mysterious, I'll come back to this later

The lady clearly couldn't be bothered saving us (#NotMyJob), considering she just looks away from the hole I fell through. Also the stone tablet puzzles are pretty fun, can't believe they couldn't tell that it is a Kabuto.

It wasn't that hard, but ok... some archaeologists you guys are >.> sheesh

Pokemon protagonists seems to become glorified errand boys/girls. Now I get sucked into catching them all (all the Unowns) which I probably will not do (even though you do get a fairly important reward, but it won't be important in this run... let's just say it has to do with a mythical Pokemon)

aaaand all the Unowns are triggered and want to attack me. Now my goal is to walk out of here (literally, I did not press B) just because I don't want my Ruins of Alph 1st encounter to be Unown, luckily I exit the ruins without any unnecessary encounters.

I plan on saving my Ruins of Alph encounter on that 1 grass patch towards the west of the ruins, which requires access to Surf (through the Union Cave). So I'll be back for it a few updates down the road.

The north exit brings us here to Route 36, where I start harassing some people for free stuff.

Yay free stuff! Got HM 06 from this nice guy, Rock Smash will be handy since it is a nice upgrade for some of my mons (like Krabby). Also got the Hard Stone which won't be necessary for now, though tracking down all the "day" siblings will be quite the task.

Progress has been halted, time to go back. (I like how everyone just refuses to go around and are just waiting for someone to solve their problems for them smh)

Back to Violet City I go!

Well Falkner is "difficult" because he hacked in his Pidgeotto (I mean he has a Lvl 13 Pidgeotto, when Pidgey evolves at Lvl 18... What gives??). Anyways, the gym guide tells us to hone our skills at Sprout Tower before we are "ready" to challenge Falkner.

Sooo here we are... at Sprout Tower (where I can get my final encounter from this long chain of encounters)

Well, Zigzagoon isn't the worst thing ever but, I would've much rather have something else. I named it Amelia after a kindhearted soldier (I use that term loosely) who has a desire to protect her country from FE8.

Zigzagoon received no changes but, Linoone did get some nice buffs. Linoone receives Extremespeed at Lvl 23, while also getting an increase in Atk (70 -> 90) and Spe (100 -> 105).

Not sure if I will use Zigzagoon, I deposited it in the "Maybe" box just because I'm not sure if I'll ever use it but, it seems decent enough that I'm interested. Hasty nature (+Spe -Def) is a pretty solid nature, so that's also another plus in its favor.

Now that I've caught every encounter that I was able to (excluding the Ruins of Alph), I decide to sit down and try to put together a team that I will use for the next few updates (granted they all survive).

In the end, I decided to just add Hoothoot to the team (since it'll be decent against Falkner and Bugsy). I took some time to train it to Lvl 10 so it matches the rest of my team as well.

Resuming my climb to the top of Sprout Tower!

Didn't show this during the last update but, overworld trainers are "harder" since they typically have more mons on their teams, along with their updated changes. So these sages have access to more than just Bellsprout and Hoothoot.

Also this is Krabby's first battle (despite being on the team for quite a while now)!

Also forgot to teach Rock Smash to Krabby before I climbed, luckily I caught myself after defeating the 2nd sage within the tower. So this should give Krabby a stronger move than Vicegrip.

This guy is such a liar lol... Clearly there's no bias for a sage in a temple called "Sprout Tower" to say they express gratitude to ALL Pokemon. Nice try but, you ain't fooling me.

I actually had to run all the way back down to heal up since my team was on it's last legs (for the most part), but I made it to the top of the tower, only 3 sages stand in my way.

Maybe this wasn't such a good idea, considering I knew Krabby had terrible SpD. Sage Neal just made my hit list. Unfortunately Krabby fainted due to an Air Cutter crit soooo, we got my first Out of Commission mon (I'm not gonna say death). I don't really feel attached since I literally used it for like 2 battles prior to this one.

Also nice free exp

Oh how fun, a familiar face (or back in this case)

Don't bother elder, he's just a stubborn prick. Also you don't need an elemental stone because Cynthia didn't believe in you enough to give you an Eevee (whereas Cynthia believed in my skills and gave me an Eevee c:)

Well someone is acting like a brat, I wonder how the gym guide handled him since he probably forced Silver to traverse Sprout Tower. Also it was kinda rude that he didn't acknowledge me as his rival before leaving >.>

Since the PokeMarts don't carry Escape Ropes yet, I'll be saving this for the ruins to get more free loot.

Well we were kinda forced to make our way here (or else that annoying gym guide won't move). So we begin the battle against Elder Li!

Vs. Elder Li

Since he's not important, he doesn't get a cool cut scene

Bellsprout - Lvl 12 - Flash | Cut | Razor Leaf | Growth
Chingling - Lvl 12 - Confusion | Astonish | Flash | Uproar
Cherubi - Lvl 12 - Morning Sun | Magical Leaf | Flash | Leech Seed
Hoothoot - Lvl 14 - Agility | Aerial Ace | Confusion | Hypnosis

His team is actually pretty difficult if you didn't grind (which I didn't), so I did have a bit of trouble against him. Also, his team is very annoying due to Flash, and also other status ailment-inducing moves such as Leech Seed, Astonish, and Hypnosis.

Like most of the sages within the tower, Li leads with his own Bellsprout against my Hoothoot.

2 Air Cutters take out Bellsprout, as it tries to use Cut to weaken Hoothoot. In this game, Cut has been changed to a Grass-type move from a Normal-type move, so that's why it did next-to-no damage to Hoothoot.

Next Li sends in his own Hoothoot, while I switch out to Eevee. Hoothoot is arguably Li's most annoying and strong Pokemon in his team. Since I did not grind, his Hoothoot outspeeds my entire team and can freely dish out Hypnosis' like no big deal (unless they miss)

Unfortunately, Eevee was unable to do much in this fight. Besides 1 Tackle, it got put to sleep and got chunked hard by a Confusion and Aerial Ace crit (I'm honestly not even sure how Eevee managed to survive, but it barely did).

So Shinx gets thrown in since it can tank an Aerial Ace. Though it sucks that it doesn't have access to Spark yet.

Basically, Shinx tanks 2 Aerial Ace hits (with one of them being a crit) while dodging a Hypnosis. 2 Bites (one of them also being a critical hit), takes down Hoothoot. That's 1 threat down!

Next Li sends in his Chingling, and I switch out to Hoothoot since Shinx was on its last legs. Chingling is also a very threatening Pokemon if you do not grind since Uproar can hit pretty hard, while it has Flash to annoy you.

The Flash spam begins! This causes Hoothoot to miss a few Air Cutters sadly

Even with the help of a few Potions (I believed I used 2), Hoothoot could not withstand the onslaught of Uproar and Confusion, coupled with the Air Cutters missing (even then Air Cutter didn't really do much to Chingling).

So Cyndaquil comes in and tries to finish off Chingling!

Luckily, Cyndaquil gets a lucky burn with Ember making this a lot more easier. Also I found it surprising that Cyndaquil managed to tank the Confusion and Uproar onslaught better than Hoothoot. 1 last Ember takes down Chingling and we now we can breeze through the rest of the battle.

Li's last mon unfortunately (for him) is a Cherubi. Obviously Cyndaquil should be able to take it on no problem!

Cyndaquil tanks a Magical Leaf very well, and 2 Embers finish off Cherubi!

aaaand that's that, we won!

Also Cyndaquil evolves into a Quilava! (which I probably should've done before the fight against Li)

Yes, yes, I would've been able to defeat Falkner with or without the Sprout Tower challenge, but thanks

I know I mentioned it in the previous update but, in this game we are able to evolve Eevee (all 6 forms) early on, and this is what I meant. All Eeveelution paths require an evolutionary stone that is obtained by defeating Li. As you can guess, the Woodland Ore is used to evolve Eevee into a Leafeon (surpiiiisee!). FYI - Aubade Ore = Espeon, Serenade Ore = Umbreon, Chilled Ore = Glaceon.

We also get TM 70 Flash from Li as well, which will allow us to explore Dark Cave if we choose to do so (maybe I will on my free time), and he sends us off to face Falkner (I think).

This is the aftermath of the fight against Li, as you can see everyone is pretty much close to fainting but, we all got through (except Krabby I guess, whoops)

Also if you're curious, the Woodland Ore is just a recolored version of the Never-Melt Ice (the other 3 Eeveelution ores are also recolored versions of the same item)

Now we have a Leafeon on our team (which can either be a good or a bad thing honestly)!

As for the changes made to Leafeon... It's main level up movepool got changed quite a bit but, I'll only cover the important moves. Leafeon learns Synthesis (Lvl 9, requiring the Heart Scale at this point), Razor Leaf (Lvl 13, originally at Lvl 15), Psycho Cut (Lvl 38), Leaf Blade (Lvl 58, originally at Lvl 71), and Wood Hammer (lvl 68). Those are really the most important changes, there are also some pretty irrelevant changes as well (such as Leafeon learning Giga Drain earlier) so you'll have to go through the document to know all the changes regarding the Eevee line. Also, Leafeon now has access to Natural Cure as a possible ability!

aaaaand we end the update here, I thought I was gonna face Falkner in this update but, I didn't feel like grinding yesterday when I played soooo that'll be in the next update. Also, I wasn't sure how long I want updates to be, so far my updates are around the 100-125 screenshot range so I think I'll keep it around there.

Arvis ♂ (Quilava)
Level 14
Gentle Nature
- Ember
- Tackle
- Smokescreen
- Leer

Xane ♂ (Leafeon)
Level 11
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Tackle
- Bite
- Tail Whip
- Sand-Attack

Seth ♂ (Shinx)
Level 12
Modest Nature
- Bite
- Tackle
- Leer
- Charge

Laslow ♂ (Hoothoot)
Level 12
Ability: Tinted Lens
Lonely Nature
- Air Cutter
- Tackle
- Hypnosis
- Growl

Last edited:
Man I need to play this hack, I've seen it around a lot but never bothered. I really like hgss but hate the level curve/difficulty so playing an improved version would be fun

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
@ Altissimo - Yes! You should play it if you have free time :D Yeah the one thing that I appreciate the most is that it fixed the messed up difficulty curve and also gave areas for you to grind (especially in Kanto, late Johto) which is extreeeemely nice. So yeah, I'd recommend it 100% :3. There's also a vanilla version (same game but without Pokemon Changes) as well if you aren't into crazy changes.

Welcome back to Update #3! In this update I will finally be facing off against Falkner, wasn't really sure if I'll get to anything else besides that at the time. Though I do pick up a few more encounters on my way! Keep in mind that I did this update across 2 days, so you'll see some lighting changes sooooo yeah.

Also over the break, I did some off-screen grinding and Shinx evolved into Luxio during the training session! Also the documentation didn't record this but, Shinx actually learns Spark at Lvl 13, so based on the changes, I'm assuming Luxio will learn Night Slash at Lvl 18 (replacing Spark). So this would've been nice to know during the fight against Li .-. (would've made Hoothoot for easier to handle)

Fun fact - Luxio/Luxray are actually Electric/Dark-types in this game! (I know I mentioned this in Update #1 but, I thought it was worth rementioning)

Side Note - If you are playing this game, don't level Eevee past Lvl 12 (if you plan on evolving it). All Eeveelutions learn their respective STAB moves (Water Gun, Ember, Razor Leaf, etc.) at Lvl 13. So if you don't want to be stuck with Tackle/Bite until you get access to the Move Reminder (or the next STAB move)... DON'T level Eevee past Lvl 12.

Also here is the fully-grinded team. I chose Lvl 14 as my cut-off point since that was a good medium between Falkner's regular mons and ace. Luxio is Lvl 15 because Shinx evolves at Lvl 15, so I decided to just give it the extra level since there really isn't any harm in doing so.

Now with all of that house keeping out of the way... Let's face off against Falkner! Also 10/10 advice! (He basically just tells you what type disvantages Flying-types have)

Didn't mention this but, I also cleared out the gym during my training session (as you can see, Shinx is still a Shinx and not a Luxio), and just left after doing so to grind in Route 32.

Alright and time to face off against Falkner, finally!

Cool intro I guess? Though I've always been curious whether the sky in the background changes depending on the time of day. I really should go check to make sure but, I'm too lazy to :c

Vs. Falkner

Doduo - Lvl 12 - Aerial Ace | Quick Attack | Roost | Growl
Chatot - Lvl 12 - Uproar | Agility | Chatter | Roost
Farfetch'd - Lvl 12 - Aerial Ace | Fury Attack | Roost | Poison Jab
Murkrow - Lvl 14 - Haze | Roost | Aerial Ace | Faint Attack
Swablu @ Power Herb - Lvl 14 - Roost | Aerial Ace | Mirror Move | Solarbeam
Pidgeotto @ Oran Berry - Lvl 15 - Roost | Tackle | Aerial Ace | Mud Slap

So we shall begin! Also I found these trainer cards I made for my previous recorded SG/SS run back in the day, so I'm reusing them. I found that I made one for each Gym Leader and E4 so, expect them to return in future battles!

Falkner doesn't really have much of a strategy honestly, though keep in mind he does not have any healing items due to all of his Pokemon learning Roost. I guess he'll just keep hitting you with strong Aerial Aces (it is a pretty potent move this early), and other strong moves like Solarbeam and Chatter so, watch out for those.

Falkner leads with his Doduo, while I choose to lead with Quilava

During the 1st turn, Quilava does quite a lot with Ember and manages to get a burn onto Doduo to weaken any potential physical move it has. Though didn't really matter since it just used Growl, a 2nd Ember easily takes down Doduo.

Next Falkner sends in his hacked ace Pidgeotto, while I switch out Quilava for Luxio. Also cool how gym leaders in this game use seals (sticker capsules from DPP) on their ace Pokemon (that's why Pidgeotto is a bit discolored since I took the screenshot when the seal animation was about to end).

Tackle deals a sizable chunk to Luxio but luckily, Luxio manages to get a critical hit with Spark which takes down Pidgeotto in 1 hit! Though it was unfortunate that Luxio was outsped (looking at Luxio's stats, it was quite slow with 21 total Speed iirc).

Next up is Chatot, I quickly swapped out Luxio for Quilava since Quilava is surprisingly bulky on the special side (while Luxio is not specially bulky, and if Luxio didn't outspeed Pidgeotto, I doubt it'd outspeed Chatot). Note that Chatot is probably 10x more threatening than Pidgeotto just because it has extremely hard-hitting moves in conjunction with Roost + Agility. So it can sweep an unprepared team easily.

Quite a scary first turn. Ember does a pretty decent amount (Quilava somehow managed to outspeed which I found weird) but, it doesn't matter anymore since Chatot boosts its Speed with Agility.

Uproar hits extremely hard as you can see, doing close to half to Quilava. Also Chatot now outspeeding my entire team reaaally sucks but, the gods answered my prayers and I got a lucky burn with Ember.

So I just swapped out to Leafeon to tank the Uproar (since Chatot got locked into it, it would've been a disaster if it calmed down at that point) and the burn damage takes out Chatot.

Falkner sends in his Farfetch'd and I quickly swapped to Hoothoot.

In this game, Farfetch'd has been reworked drastically and is now a Flying/Fighting-type with a huge boost in its stats (mainly in Attack and Speed), along with a movepool overhaul. Though I won't get into that until I actually catch a Farfetch'd myself :3

Hoothoot barely tanks 2 Aerial Aces, surviving with only 4 HP left, and 2 Air Cutters take down Farfetch'd (since it is super-effective after all).

2 more to go! Murkrow is next and I swap out to Luxio since it resists Murkrow's dual-STAB.

Side note, Murkrow is also pretty threatening during my previous runs of HG/SS for whatever reason. I guess it's because there aren't too many Dark and Flying resists in this point in the game? (Magnemite is the only other Pokemon I can think of atm).

Luxio easily shrugs off the Aerial Ace from Murkrow, while OHKO-ing it with Spark.

Falkner's last mon is this cute lil' Swablu :3 Though it'll probably be fainting soon, I stay in with Luxio just because...

Riiiiiiiiight, if you say so :eyes: Not sure what a single Swablu can do...

I'm assuming this is what Falkner meant by "The wind is finally with us!"... So yeah Swablu is Falkner's lure to Rock-types (Rock-types tend to have low Special Defense, especially those available early on), so it can nab a KO on unsuspecting players.

Also I healed up Luxio just in case of any shenanigans Falkner might pull (or if any random critical hits happen), which explains the random jump in Luxio's HP from 24 to 44.

Well nice try, that Solarbeam didn't matter at all considering it did a whole 12 damage. A single Spark takes down Swablu in the end. (That was very anti-climatic)

Aaaaand we defeated Falkner! Our first gym battle :D

It's FLYING Pokemon, not bird... >.> But hey, at least he's a good sport compared to some people I know Silver

Very important loot we get from Falkner, being the Zephyr Badge (for overworld Rock Smash usages) and TM 51 Roost!

Falkner also recommends us to visit Azalea Town for our next gym battle as well! Not like we can go anywhere else anyways even if I wanted to.

Aftermath of the gym battle. Obviously, Luxio was the MVP of this fight just because of the type-advantage but, Quilava put in a lot of work against the most threatening mon in Falkner's team.

OMG LIKE WHAT???

That is not a discovery in any way shape or form... It's literally an errand...

How long have you been waiting? Literally came in and out of here so many times and never saw you ever... Well I guess I could take that egg off your hands since I do have room in my party after all.

Unfortunately, I have no mons with Flame Body/Magma Armor atm so this egg is gonna take quite a while to hatch (though I might just run around at some place until it hatches during my next update)

Ok this kimono girl is setting up an ambush on our egg! What's with this game and people ambushing us D:

That is really none of your business lady but, it is also reaaally weird how she just knows everything about our journey. I'm pretty sure she must've been hiding within the trees this whole time, watching our every move.

Then she "mysteriously" wanders away... -insert ghost noises-

What a surprise, another visitor! Falkner nevertheless

That's good! I enjoyed it too :D (Just because I suffered 0 casualties from it)

You couldn't have just like, given it to us when you gave us the badge and TM? Also this is another feature in SG/SS, its that gym leaders will now give you their phone numbers after you defeat them. In the original games, you'd have to do this big ol' scavenger hunt and find their meeting times and call them at the right time for a rematch, it was just a big hassle overall.

I desperately needed to buy some items since I had like 3 Potions left, and barely any Pokeballs as well.

Off we go to Azalea Town!

Just kidding :P I made a quick pit-stop to the Ruins of Alph since I forgot to actually do the Escape Rope thing to open the door in the last update, so I'm doing it now

Not really worth the effort of saving the Escape Rope and backtracking honestly. All I got were some non-traditional healing items (berries and herbal medicines) and nothing else.

And we resume our journey, until this man decides to stop us and congratulate our victory against Falkner.

Nice! This will go nicely with Leafeon :D

Nooooow we resume our journey towards Azalea Town

Also this nice guy gives us TM 05 Roar, not useful at all. Don't think I plan on ever using it (maybe I'll sell it?) since it won't be useful anyways.

Here are some new faces to the route (among a few others iirc). Though you won't get those double battles like in Emerald.

Like in every Pokemon game, there's always that 1 fisherman who loooves Magikarp, and this guy is it. Important to note that Magikarp have other moves besides Splash, Tackle, and Flail.

Sorry I need to save up my money, also why do you even have a Slowpoke Tail you weirdo?

Also this nice fisherman gives us TM 03 Water Pulse which I actually will use (not right now since I don't have a Water-type on my team as of now but, that will change in the future since I love Water-types!)

Never really understood the point of this lil' area. I checked to make sure there aren't any hidden items (which there aren't). I guess it's just for an event or maybe for a special headbutt Pokemon? Not entirely sure

Did some backtracking since I came down the route through the bridge area with all the fisherman, went back up the grassy route to snag TM 09 Bullet Seed and battle the trainers I missed.

Hoothoot was almost a casualty against this ace trainer guarding the path to Union Cave (this ace trainer is a exclusive to SS/SG). Basically, Nidorino outsped Hoothoot and used Double Kick which dealt 18 damage in total, and my dumbass locked myself into Uproar so I wasn't able to heal up Hoothoot. Luckily I got this critical hit with the 2nd Uproar and all the tension in my body just left me.

Anyways, we finally make it to the Union Cave!

The upper and lower floors actually have pretty different encounters, since I prefer the lower floor encounters I take the stairs (why are there stairs within this cave?) to the floor below.

Manage to snag this beauty as well!

Oh yeah and this thing is my 1st encounter of the Union Cave... Though Bronzor is a pretty decent Pokemon (also nice that I got a solid nature) but, it just evolves late-ish and is a pain to train. Nicknamed Horace after a general with complicated allegiances from FE11/12.

Bronzor didn't get too many changes. Bronzor actually has an increased Attack stat (24 -> 34 ... yay?), and learns Night Shade (Lvl 16), Rollout (Lvl 21), and Curse (Lvl 24). Bronzong also has HM compatibility with Fly too (that's a sight to behold).

Bronzor seems ok, don't feel like training it since, as mentioned earlier, it's a pain to train all the way to Lvl 33 when it evolves. So it'll be in the MAYBE box since it does have a good nature and a solid typing (idr if it has Levitate or Heat Proof)

Tried to ninja-d through every trainer until I get a new member onto my squad (didn't want to overlevel my team). Luckily I was successful and managed to evade every single trainer, I will come back to it once I see what my new encounters are.

Aaahh it's raining! Though new route also means new Pokemon :D

Not a bad encounter honestly, while Ekans is known for its shitty movepool, it did get some help in this game which is nice. I named him Volke after an assassin disguised as a thief (if that's any difference) who loooves getting paid for duties and is a half-a-word kinda guy from FE 9/10.

The really nice change is that Ekans gets actual usable STAB in the form of Poison Tail at Lvl 23 (Ekans evolves at Lvl 22 fyi, or else Arbok learns it at Lvl 25), so you might as well keep it as an Ekans for an extra level until evolution. Arbok also got some minor increases in its Attack (85 -> 91) and Speed (80 -> 86) as well.

Ekans seems like a pretty nice choice considering this one has Intimidate along with Glare, which I forsee can be useful in some upcoming boss battles. For now it'll be in the YES box since it is a mon I'm interested in but, I want to evaluate all of my options before I make a decision!

After that long-ish journey, we made it to Azalea Town!

Oh looks like no one got the memo that Team Rocket is back in business.

Noooooothing suspicious going on around here, obviously this guy must be a good Samaritan right? We wouldn't anyone to injure themselves by falling into the well.

Coincidentally, all the Slowpoke around Azalea Town have magically disappeared (weird how the town mascot is a Slowpoke tbh, considering Bugsy specializes in Bug-types). Also interesting how the Johto/Kanto region have areas dedicated to specific mons (Diglett's Cave, Sprout Tower, Slowpoke Well, etc.)

Also I'm not sure why the "M" in "somewhere" is capitalized. Maybe it's because it says Mew?

Man I feel bad for these Slowpokes without tails :c Though if that random guy can exceed the money cap for just 1 tail, they must be making quite the sum.

Reoccurring theme in Pokemon Centers where we get free TMs. We get TM 34 Shock Wave from this guy (I believe Kanto gym leaders give out different TMs iirc). Make sure to talk to everyone inside any Pokemon Center!

As you can see, we meet another harlequin which means... another quiz! (and I guess another mon to add)

The order of the answers are yes, no, no, and yes. I did get the 2nd and 3rd question wrong since I legitimately had no idea what the answers were.

As you might have already guessed, we can snag ourselves 1 of the Hoenn starters by acing the quiz! (You get unlimited tries fyi)

While Blaziken is one of my top 3 all time favorite mons, I opted for Treecko instead since I already have a Fire-type starter already. I named him Lewyn after a flirtatious prince who left his country to travel the world.

Not too many changes but, they are some pretty big changes. The best thing is that the Treecko line have access to Unburden as a possible ability (unfortunately this Treecko has Overgrow). As for move additions, Sceptile is the only one that got them, the moves being Thunder Punch and Low Kick (both via Heart Scale), and Dragon Breath (at Lvl 36, when Grovyle evolves).

Treecko is a mon that I do plan to use, despite its ability, just because Sceptile is a pretty solid mon. Though for now, it will go into the YES box since I already have a Grass-type on my team.

Since I'm here, I chose to peek inside Ilex Forest to find my next encounter. Also I prefer the Day encounters in Ilex Forest (Day and Morning have slightly different encounters) but, I'm fine with some of the Night encounters.

Fun fact, originally my 1st encounter was a Pikachu but, my laptop decided to update itself and I lost the save data and got sent back to after I got Treecko (not too much of a big deal). So my new "1st" encounter became this Pineco... I named him Arden after a castle guard/knight which just so happened to be the worst unit in the game, from FE4.

Pineco and Forretress only received 1 change, which is that they both learn Counter (at different levels). Pineco learns it at Lvl 48, while Forretress learns it at Lvl 73.

Don't really need to think twice about it but, Pineco is going straight to the NO box. That nature also doesn't do it any justice as well.

With that said and done, I'm going to end the update right here. I will probably do some off-screen stuff (like hatching the egg) and, I won't be adding anyone onto the team until I get the next encounter (the one from Slowpoke Well). Though I know I will want another member or 2 before Bugsy.

Arvis ♂ (Quilava)
Level 17
Gentle Nature
- Ember
- Quick Attack
- Smokescreen
- Leer

Xane ♂ (Leafeon) @ Miracle Seed
Level 17
Jolly Nature
- Razor Leaf
- Bite
- Rock Smash
- Sand-Attack

Seth ♂ (Luxio)
Level 17
Modest Nature
- Spark
- Bite
- Leer
- Charge

Laslow ♂ (Hoothoot)
Level 17
Lonely Nature
- Air Cutter
- Uproar
- Hypnosis
- Reflect

Last edited:
WRT that wee area that you didn't know the purpose of, one of the weekly siblings is located there and gives you a type-boosting item, not sure which one though

Why are you typing a lets play instead of recording it
Presumably because recording and editing a series of videos would be way more labour-intensive?
Typed LPs are more common, because not everyone has the audio equipment to make it sound good, or the editing experience to make a polished video, or the confidence to record their own voice, or, most importantly, the inclination. What a weird question to ask.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
@ Cherub Agent - Oh that's good to know! I don't think I've ever felt the need to backtrack to Route 32 ever, so I never noticed that it was for the weekly siblings (also never really bothered seeking them out, even in the vanilla games)

@ Lixx - I'm not recording it because I don't want to????

@ Cobalt Empoleon / Altissimo - Yeah typed LPs are fine honestly, both forms (typed and video) have their own appeal and merit but, I just prefer typed LPs since I feel like I have a bit more freedom. Also, not really a fan of making videos myself.

Hey again! Welcome to Update #4 :D Not too much to cover in this update, other than a few important battles and some new encounters, that's about it really.

Anyways, we visit Kurt's house because apparently he makes really cool Pokeballs, and I'm hoping to snag a freebie for the road.

Wow what's so important that you'll turn away some (maybe) paying customer?

Everyone seems to be talking about Team Rocket, yet some people actually don't even know who they are. But, imagine cutting off a bunch of tails from a bunch of innocent Pokemon. This must be stopped!

Also, I feel like Kurt is reaaally the only person who noticed the Slowpokes slowly going missing AND actually wanting to do something about. Not that I need Kurt's services or anything but, we go after him to see what's up.

D: You poor thing ;w; Though he is on an important mission to save the town if that's any consolation!

This thief chilling behind Kurt's how gives us well, TM 46 Thief. Though anyone could have seen him from a mile away, probably.

Time to save the Slowpokes! (I'm not actually for now). I wonder where that one "good samaritan" of a guard went?

In we go! Also it's interesting that there's this entire cave system housing a bunch of Slowpokes beneath a well. I guess the well is just a misnomer as just a convenient way to hide a ladder that goes into the cave?

Geez, what a helpful guy... Though I guess we only could've made it down here since Kurt managed to scare off the Team Rocket guard. Once again, errand boy is on the job. I'm putting my quest for gym badges on hold for you Slowpokes!

Speaking of which, our first encounter here is well... A Slowpoke. I named it Setsuna after an absent-minded archer, who is also a retainer of one of the Hoshido royals, from FE14.

Since Slowpoke and Slowbro did not get any changes, I'll make an exception and cover the changes for the evolutionary paths this time (there's literally 2 changes for Slowking, one of which is the evolutionary method, more on that below). Slowking just learns Aura Sphere at Lvl 63, that's all.

Slowpoke is a pretty solid mon overall, though since I've used Slowking quite often in SG/SS (you'll see why in a bit), I decided to opt for Slowbro instead during this run. For now, it'll go into the YES box since it is a pretty good mon that I plan on using at some point when I'm close to around the Lvl 40 range.

Also surprise, surprise, Togepi hatches from the egg! This Togepi is exactly the same as the one in HG/SS (it has Extrasensory still) in case you were wondering!

I named it Lucius after a monk who looks awfully feminine for a male from FE7.

Togepi and Togetic did get quite a few changes, and some pretty important ones that make using it a bit more manageable than in the vanilla version. The Togepi line now has access to Super Luck as a potential ability (alongside Serene Grace). As for moves, both Togepi and Togetic learn: Metronome (Lvl 1), Softboiled (Lvl 6), Yawn (Lvl 14), Encore (Lvl 18), and Tri-Attack (Lvl 21). Togekiss just learns Heat Wave via Heart Scale or Move Reminder.

Togepi(tic) is a bit easier to train in this game just because you get an actual STAB move (Tri-Attack) so you aren't relying on TMs, Metronome, or Extrasensory in HG/SS for damage. Though, the Shiny Stone is available around the mid-game portion, while I will need at least 3 Heart Scales for Togekiss in order for it to be useful. So for now, Togepi will go in the MAYBE box since it's pretty good, it just needs quite a lot of investment in both resources and time.

Um no... You can wait until I'm done .-. Though I will need to backtrack to both Azalea and New Bark Town around the Goldenrod mark so, I'll just swing by the lab to show it to him later on.

Remember in the previous update where I mentioned that I will be adding 1 (or 2) new team members after I caught all possible encounters? Well, I added Squirtle to the team!

Also I taught both Squirtle and Leafeon the TMs Water Pulse and Bullet Seed respectively, quite a big investment early on since TMs are only 1-time use (we've been spoiled from Gen 5+).

Also since I left a bunch of trainers unbattled in the Union Cave, I take this opportunity to grind Squirtle over there. Squirtle also evolves into a Wartortle during the process!

With all the done, back to Slowpoke Well to help Kurt rescue the Slowpokes!

Enemy Spotted! The first of the Rocket Grunts are coming to view.

And we found out what happened to the guard up top, I guess he was so afraid of some old guy yelling at him that he just fell down the well? Sounds like a personal problem honestly.

As mentioned a few screenshots back, this is why we can evolve Slowpoke into a Slowking early on (and I guess Poliwhirl but, Poliwag evolves at Lvl 25), which lets Slowpoke spike incredibly early. In the OP, I mentioned "easier evolutionary methods" and this is why. Rather than trading, you simply use any traded evolutionary item (Dragon Scale, Upgrade, etc.) like a normal evolutionary stone. Anyways, I'll be saving this King's Rock for future use!

Found all (just 2?) of the missing Slowpokes! Also that guy looks like the head honcho of this bunch. Also, had to go heal up just because like half of my party was poisoned (due to unlucky RNG from Poison Sting from that sucker below Luxio).

Wow he doesn't even introduce himself properly. He doesn't even look the scary or cruel (though if he feels no remorse selling Slowpoke Tails for money, then I guess he is kinda cruel). Regardless we probably have to battle him to get him to scram.

Vs. Proton

Voltorb - Lvl 17 - Spark | Selfdestruct | Screech | Toxic
Zubat - Lvl 17 - Wing Attack | Supersonic | Giga Drain | Toxic
Cacnea - Lvl 17 - Needle Arm | Leer | Sucker Punch | Toxic
Koffing - Lvl 18 - Sludge Bomb | Flamethrower | Selfdestruct | Toxic

Proton can either be the easiest or the hardest battle so far. Just looking at his movesets, it's every Nuzlockers nightmare since you got Selfdestruct, and also Toxic (for overworld poison shenanigans). Proton also likes to lower your defense, and then follow up with a hard-hitting move so, be careful with that.

To begin, we lead with Luxio while Proton leads with his Voltorb.

Since Voltorb is a naturally fast mon, it outspeeds and barely does any damage with Spark. A critical hit from Night Slash takes out Voltorb but, Luxio is affected by the Aftermath and takes a bit more damage.

Next up is Proton's ace, Koffing. I send in Hoothoot to deal with it since Hoothoot has Hypnosis and I could prevent a random Selfdestruct.

Luckily, Koffing stays asleep for 3 turns while 3 Air Cutters take out Koffing.

Proton then sends in his Cacnea, and the obvious choice was to swap to Quilava.

First turn, Ember deals around half and Cacnea uses Leer to lower Quilava's Defense. At first I thought this battle between Quilava and Cacnea would be easy until...

Yeah I did not know Cacnea had Sucker Punch at the time, and due to the Defense drop it deals a ton. I was extremely lucky that it wasn't a critical hit since Quilava would've definitely fainted. Speaking of fainting, Cacnea drops to a 2nd Ember.

As a last ditch effort, Proton sends in his Zubat and I switch out to Luxio to finish the mission. Also, Proton is basically talking about how not everyone will agree with what Team Rocket is doing in his lil' in-battle quote.

Uneventful ending, 1 Spark takes down Zubat with ease.

With that, we have beaten Proton! Also the words got cut off but, it ends with "I didn't see this coming". Team Rocket is reliving their Kanto trauma slowly but surely.

So in actuality, all Red did was piss a bunch of people off when he destroyed Team Rocket back in the day, since now Team Rocket is back to cause all the trouble in the world (without Giovanni apparently).

Well, I will be causing a ton of trouble for you guys as well, so no, I will not be afraid >:D

I can see that very clearly Kurt... At least you didn't say "We did it!" or "We drove Team Rocket away" because you barely did anything smh.

Now I'm officially the savior of Azalea Town, and it's Slowpokes! Though Team Rocket obviously has way more plans and this Slowpoke Tail farming is clearly just the tip of the iceberg.

And our rewards are... 1 Fast Ball and Kurt's phone number, not the best trade in the world, since I drove off Team Rocket and got this in return but, Kurt did offer his Pokeball making services to us. Though, as mentioned in Update #1, I don't plan on farming Apricorns soooo... these services won't be helpful during this run.

Look at all the Slowpokes (there's a few not in the screenshot) roaming around!

Since that random Rocket grunt blocking the gym (I like how nobody told him to GTFO) is gone, we can finally challenge the Azalea gym :D However, for now I'll just be beating all the gym trainers and see where I'm at in terms of the need to grind.

Also the Twins Amy&Mimi have Volbeat and Illumise, who are actually Bug/Electric in this game (since they are fireflies so it does make sense). These 2 kids are actually one of the hardest overworld trainers in the game at this point, so just be careful with them (well at least I struggled with them whenever I play SG/SS).

Also Hoothoot evolves during our gym clearing session!

Now that the gym is all cleared out, it's time to.... grind? (I always forget that Silver will challenge you at this point once you beat Proton, not once you beat Bugsy).

Well, where were you when this happened? That's right you were probably slow as hell trailing behind me (though I'm pretty sure he just defeated Bugsy before I did).

Apparently we need to prove it to him smh... JUST LET ME GRIND IN PEACE!

Vs. Silver

Murkrow - Lvl 19 - Astonish | Haze | Pursuit | Wing Attack
Gastly - Lvl 18 - Curse | Spite | Mean Look | Ominous Wind
Kadabra - Lvl 19 - Teleport | Kinesis | Confusion | Disable
Croconaw - Lvl 21 - Rage | Bite | Scary Face | Ice Fang

Silver is honestly a pushover in this battle just because all of his mons don't have fancy sets, like the other boss trainers do; he just uses the standard level-up movesets. Not much else to say other than, let's begin!

So Silver leads with his Murkrow, while I lead with Luxio (feels like I've led with Luxio a lot so far).

Murkrow attacks with Wing Attack and barely does anything, a single Spark from Luxio takes out Murkrow.

Then Silver sends in his ace, Croconaw. I decide to stay in with Leafeon, even if Croconaw does have Ice Fang (though I don't anticipate it OHKOing Leafeon, even with a critical hit). Also, this is actually Leafeon's first important battle, where it contributed something other than tanking a hit and switching out right after.

Bullet Seed from Leafeon hits 3 times, with the 2nd hit being a critical hit. With that, Croconaw gets taken down.

Next up is Gastly, and I stay in with Leafeon because, why not?

Leafeon outspeeds Gastly and takes it out with Bite, ezpz.

Silver's final mon is Kadabra, then he also tells us how much nerve we have coming here (I mean the Gym Challenge isn't just for you ya'know?), I also keep Leafeon in to give it some EXP.

Smart move by Silver, Kadabra outsped Leafeon and used Disable, which prevents it from using Bite (which could've potentially been a 1-hko).

Doesn't really matter honestly, Kadabra uses Kinesis (which lowers accuracy) but, Leafeon still lands Bullet Seed (not sure how many hits, but I'm assuming it's either 2 or 3).

That's a lot of big talk for someone who's about to lose .-. Anyways, 1 final Quick Attack takes down Kadabra.

Welp, that was actually an incredibly easy battle, and yes your Pokemon were kinda weak lol (considering most got taken down in 1 turn).

Well you must hate yourself, since you just lost to someone "weak"... twice.

There is some truth to the statement, Team Rocket does act high and mighty with their ragtag army of Rattatas and Zubats.

Alright then, off you go to Goldenrod City (I assume), now leave me alone you sore loser heehee.

Needed to do a bit of grinding (only needed to grind Leafeon and Wartortle), so it took maybe like 10-15 minutes. The level cap I chose is 20 since it's a happy medium between Bugsy's ace and regular mons (this will be a reoccurring theme in this run so, I won't mention it anymore past this).

Off we go to face Bugsy! Also, Bugsy's gym is an incredible pain to leave and enter just because of how slow the Spinarak platforms move.

Now we are literally facing Bugsy, probably breathing right in front of his face. Anyways, I shall end this update here. Next update, it should be fairly obvious what I'm gonna do. I'll most likely be facing Bugsy, and then explore Goldenrod for more encounters to snag!

Arvis ♂ (Quilava)
Level 20
Gentle Nature
- Ember
- Flame Wheel
- Quick Attack
- Smokescreen

Level 20
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Quick Attack
- Bite
- Rock Smash

Seth ♂ (Luxio)
Level 20
Modest Nature
- Spark
- Night Slash
- Leer
- Charge

Laslow ♂ (Noctowl)
Level 20
Lonely Nature
- Air Cutter
- Uproar
- Hypnosis
- Reflect

Dart ♂ (Wartortle)
Level 20
Ability: Rain Dish
Hasty Nature
- Water Pulse
- Aqua Jet
- Bite
- Withdraw

Last edited:

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
@ Lixx -

I'm back for Update #5! This update is pretty lengthy, despite me not covering as much content (most of the screenshots are dialogue). Anyways, we face off with Bugsy, then made my way to Goldenrod City, and also did some exploring of the city as well.

As you can tell from the name, Bugsy looooooves Bug-type Pokemon. Without further ado, we face off against Bugsy for the Hive Badge! Side note, Bugsy looks like your stereotypical anime "trap" archetype person (I mean in the manga, Gold did accidentally try to hit on Bugsy :eyes:)

Vs. Bugsy

Butterfree @ Damp Rock - Lvl 18 - U-Turn | Confusion | Rain Dance | Air Cutter
Yanma - Lvl 18 - U-Turn | Air Cutter | Detect | Ancient Power
Beedrill - Lvl 18 - U-Turn | Sludge Bomb | Twineedle | Cut
Heracross @ Damp Rock - Lvl 19 - Aerial Ace | Bug Bite | Counter | Rain Dance
Pinsir - Lvl 19 - Vital Throw | Knock Off | Fury Cutter | Bind
Scyther @ Sitrus Berry - Lvl 21 - U-Turn | Wing Attack | Quick Attack | Swords Dance

Alright so in my opinion, Bugsy is probably the hardest Johto Gym Leader in the game (in my order it goes Bugsy > Whitney > Clair, for top 3 hardest Gym Leaders in SG/SS). Contrary to how easy he is (sorta) in the HG/SS, he did shock me since his team definitely has a clear powerspike from the previous battles.

Bugsy's main strategy is to spam U-Turn (though he never used U-Turn during this battle oddly enough), and he tends to "pair up" his Pokemon (Yanma will U-Turn to Beedrill, vice versa; Butterfree will U-Turn to either Scyther or Heracross usually), so it is sort of easy to predict who he is sending in most of the time. Bugsy also does have 2 Pokemon (Butterfree and Heracross) with Damp Rock + Rain Dance to weaken Fire-types moves. Lastly, Bugsy's Scyther is probably the most threatening mon you will face so far just because of how easily it can dismantle teams, so be prepared for that.

Anyways to start off the battle, Bugsy leads with his Butterfree while I lead with Luxio. Keep in mind that due to Luxio's secondary Dark-typing, it will take super-effective damage from Bug-type moves (I always forget that Electric is neutral to Bug).

Immediately, Butterfree sets up Rain Dance (this will last 8 turns due to Damp Rock) but because of that, Spark is able to pick up the KO onto Butterfree since it is now boosted by the rain (I lied s/o Cobalt Empoleon).

Following Butterfree, Bugsy sends in his Pinsir while I swap out to Wartortle.

Wartortle manages to pick up the confusion with Water Pulse, but Pinsir manages to break through and retaliate with Vital Throw. The 2nd turn also yields the same results, Wartortle using Water Pulse while Pinsir uses Vital Throw.

Also this is the 1 battle where Rain Dish was incredibly helpful, since Bugsy loves to set up the rain.

On the 3rd turn, Bugsy decides to switch it up and use Fury Cutter but, a final Water Pulse takes out Pinsir. Though, Wartortle and Pinsir must've speed tied since Wartortle outsped the first 2 turns, while Pinsir outsped it during the last turn.(I lied the sequel s/o Cobalt Empoleon)

Next up, Bugsy sends in his Beedrill while I send in Noctowl.

Beedrill outspeeds and attacks with Cut (now a Grass-type move), which barely does damage, while Air Cutter takes Beedrill down to around 25% health.

Beedrill then uses Twineedle, which did a sizable chunk surprisingly, though a 2nd Air Cutter takes down Beedrill.

Bugsy then sends in his Yanma, while I switch back to Luxio.

Like most Pokemon with some sort of protection move, Yanma leads with Detect, allowing it to avoid Luxio's Spark.

Yanma's Ancient Power doesn't do much (luckily Yanma did not receive the boost), and Luxio's Spark manages to snag the KO onto Yanma. I believe the rain ended around this point (I don't remember exactly).

Heracross is up next, while I switch back out to Noctowl (for a very specific reason).

Heracross sets up the rain again with Rain Dance but, Noctowl misses his Air Cutter on it (which is good because I misclicked, I did not want Heracross to faint this turn).

On the next turn, Heracross attacks with Aerial Ace which does a decent chunk but, Noctowl manages to put Heracross to sleep with Hypnosis.

While Heracross was sleeping, I take this opportunity to heal up Noctowl just for extra security.

Heracross stays asleep on the following turn, allowing Noctowl to set up a Reflect in peace. Though on the last turn, Noctowl manages to outspeed Heracross and take it out with 1 Air Cutter.

Lastly, Bugsy sends in his ace, Scyther, while I stay in with Noctowl.

Now, as you can see Scyther's moveset, it is an extremely threatening Pokemon. Since Scyther has Technician, it already does a ton of damage with Wing Attack and Quick Attack. Combine this with its access to Swords Dance and healing through the Sitrus Berry (and Moomoo Milks if Bugsy has them), it will dish out a ton of damage while being pretty difficult to take down. This is why I wanted to set up the Reflect when Heracross was still on the field.

Scyther boosts its Attack with Swords Dance, while Noctowl attacks with Air Cutter doing more than half of Scyther's health. Though due to the Sitrus Berry, Scyther does recover off some of the damage (which now turns Air Cutter into a 3hko, unfortunately).

On the next turn, Scyther attacks with Wing Attack (which dealt quite a bit of damage, also keep in mind Reflect was still up), while Noctowl puts Scyther to sleep with Hypnosis (if Hypnosis missed, I would've been so sad).

Scyther stays asleep (good thing it didn't get the 2nd turn awakening) and with the grace of the gods above, Noctowl manages to snag a critical hit with Air Cutter, taking down Scyther.

With that, we have defeated Bugsy! Surprisingly, with no casualties (I usually lose 1-2 mons alone with that Scyther in previous runs).

Yes I am, I managed to survive through the grace of the hax gods. But, I'll accept the compliment nevertheless since the game doesn't know.

Following the battle, we receive the Hive Badge (allowing us to use Cut out in the wild), TM 89 U-Turn, and Bugsy's phone number in case we ever want to rematch him in the future (which I won't because rematching Gym Leaders is a pain in this game as well).

This is the aftermath of the battle. Honestly, I'm surprised that I managed to win with just 3 Pokemon since Bugsy tends to force me to use a full party of 6. The MVP of the battle is obviously Noctowl since it managed to snag 3 KOs and it landed all of its Hypnosis' (Hypnosises?). Luxio was also pretty good since it also picked up 2 KOs as well, though Noctowl critting that Scyther made it the winner for me.

With that, we can move out from Azalea Town!

Back into Ilex Forest we go! Since we defeated Silver in the previous update, we won't get jumped by him again.

On our way, we found this damsel in distress since he just dropped kick his responsibilities into the forest (not really, he just didn't pay attention to the Farfetch'd he was looking after). Obviously, as the glorious errand boy of the game, we take up his job offer to find and bring them back.

If you know so much about how to catch the Farfetch'ds... why didn't you just fix the problem yourself? ._.

1 down, 1 more to go. This one was very easy to catch.

Idk why he forced me to bring him the first Farfetch'd, just let me catch them both and bring them back at the same time omg..

Cursed item that will never be used ever! Selling Revives and Max Revives does net you quite a decent sum of cash, so that'll be really useful since I do anticipate needing a lot of money in this run (as mentioned in Update #1).

I remember the first time I played HG/SS, I struggled with getting this Farfetch'd for whatever reason. It took about 15 Repels and a video tutorial for me to capture it. Though, I managed to snag it fairly easily this time around.

Well that explains a lot, all I can say is GOML.

Those are actually, the most terrible nicknames I've ever seen in my life. I feel bad for these 2 Farfetch'd. Also, I could use some Charcoal right now... hint hint hint

The woodcutter also is gracious enough to give us HM 01 Cut for saving his Farfetch'd! I taught it to Quilava just because it was the only mon that could learn Cut in my party (I'm surprised Leafeon or Noctowl couldn't learn it).

How mysterious, this will be important later on (like waaaaaaaaaaaay later on).

On our way out of Ilex Forest, we encounter Gardenia doing whatever that she's doing with her Ivysaur.

To shut us up, Gardenia gives us her signature TM, Grass Knot! Yay!

Took a small detour to meet with this guy, literally ramming himself onto the trees to find Pokemon. Though, Headbutt is useful coverage this early on so I ended up teaching it to Luxio.

Through the wood, we also meet up with a lost Kimono Girl. I mean, we got every trainer looking the same (all Youngsters look the same for example), so obviously that mistake would be fairly easy to make >.>

Damn, this girl is sassy for someone who needs our help.

Somehow, Leafeon magically knows the way out of the forest and leads the Kimono Girl out to the gate that leads to the next route.

Also this nice lady gives us TM12 Taunt, which probably won't be used in this run, since most in-game trainers (and boss trainers) usually have only attacking moves on their Pokemon sets. Also Cynthia is just up there waiting for us.

That's the million dollar question girl, what are you doing here...

Though she does gives the Odd Keystone, which gives us access to Spiritomb (which I will have to backtrack for)!

We make it out of Ilex Forest and end up in Route 34. Also, those 2 trainers are new to the route.

New route means new Pokemon! Our first encounter will be Drowzee, which I nicknamed Saias after a high-ranking Bishop and tactician from FE5.

Even though Drowzee didn't get many crazy buffs, the only one it got is that both Drowzee and Hypno learn Dream Eater at Lvl 12. I guess it's still kind of ok, especially since we get a TM that will make it quite potent. However, that Impish nature makes it all the more hard to utilize, so it will go into the MAYBE box (but it's like a maybe, leaning closer to a no).

Once again, we find Lyra out in the wild, and she introduces us to the Day Care man aka her grandfather.

Then Lyra unwilling drags us into the Day Care to introduce her to the Day Care lady, aka her grandmother.

Well let's not get too crazy alright, we are confirmed just friends. Though Lyra does seem flustered, maybe there's a hidden crush in the midst?

Well, I don't forsee myself using the day-care center anytime soon (though I will have to use it waaaaaay down the road, for reasons I will not disclose for now). Though of all the times we encountered Lyra, she finally remembers to give us her number.

Oh and just and FYI grandma.

Also we receive the Day Care couple's numbers so we can check the status of our Pokemon and also whether any eggs have turned up in the process.

After a hop, skip, and jump, we finally made it to Goldenrod City! I feel like I should stop this update right now but, I'm just going to keep going because I want to explore the city before I end.

This was the TM (Calm Mind) that would make Drowzee/Hypno quite potent, as mentioned before. Anyways, we receive TM 08 Bulk Up and TM 04 Calm MInd from the brawn & brains duo.

Like the other 2 towns/cities we visited, there is another juggler that will quiz us on random Pokemon trivia. I'm pretty sure this is the last juggler (since there aren't anymore starter trios) but, I'll fill y'all in if there is more in other cities.

Answers to the quiz are no, no, no, and yes in that order. Took a few tries to get it right since I didn't feel like googling the answers (and I just don't remember them from previous runs).

With that, we get to pick another prize Pokemon, this time being the Sinnoh starters! I know last time I said I wouldn't pick Torchic/Charmander because I started with Cyndaquil but, I couldn't pass up on Chimchar (and also I picked Piplup and Turtwig already).

This is Chimchar, who is already ready to evolve like the boss that it is (though unfortunate that it will need a Heart Scale to relearn Mach Punch as a Monferno/Infernape). Since Chimchar did turn out to be female, I named it Rinkah after a fighter born from the Fire Tribe who helps out the Hoshidan royal family from FE14.

As for changes, the Chimchar line does have access to Iron Fist as a potential ability, though this Chimchar has Blaze (which isn't too bad honestly). Infernape is also able to learn Fire Punch and Thunder Punch through the Move Reminder as well.

Chimchar is great, so it definitely will be in the YES box (since I do have Quilava on the team as of now). Not sure whether I want to halt Chimchar's evolution since it does learn Nasty Plot at Lvl 22 so, we'll see in the future (I most likely will).

Next up, I visit the Game Corner which did get an overhaul to look like Spinda's Cafe from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky.

Also, Mr. Game willingly gives us a Coin Case and in return, we must play Voltorb Flip with him (which I will not do because I actually hate playing Voltorb Flip).

As mentioned before, I said that I'll need a lot of money this run and this is exhibit A of why. In SG/SS, you are able to purchase coins, as opposed to having to farm them through playing Voltorb Flip, which is a very nice change.

These are also the prizes that are available. The most important ones are the elemental beams, Swords Dance, Silk Scarf, and Porygon (which I don't technically need but, I will definitely need it in the future). Smeargle and Tangela aren't too terribly hard to get, and neither are outstanding either (in the case of Smeargle, it's terrible). Porygon will be a nice addition but, I'll wait and see if I have enough money to purchase it.

Also, I do have a rule for Game Corners in Nuzlockes that I can only buy 1 Pokemon from them, so in this run, I can only buy 1 Pokemon from the Game Corner total (including the one in Celadon) to use in-game.

For the next errand, I actually need a cleared-out party since I will be getting quite a few mons.

As you can tell by the sign description, you can expect what kinds of mons I will be filling up my party with.

Lol rip the old bike shop owner lol, so I guess this was why Cynthia was lurking at the gate to Route 34.

So our generous gift is actually pretty generous, he gives us 1 of each fossil available (except the Old Amber which I have to find regularly through smashing rocks). The fossils being Dome, Helix, Root, Claw, Armor, and Skull if you didn't know already.

Clearly no one here has any chill for the bike shop owner lol, well anyways, we have to talk to the guy to revive all of our fossils. Side note, I will only be using 3 of the 6 fossil Pokemon and depositing the rest into a different box. I will be using 1 fossil mon from each generation in this run, since I feel like using all 6 is kinda cheating? (Even though it's fair game).

After a bunch of spam clicking A, and exiting and reentering the shop... The fossil Pokemon I chose were Omanyte, Anorinth, and Craindos. I will be going through their changes 1-by-1 down below.

So we have Omanyte to start off, which I named Darros after a pirate with a good heart from FE1, 11, and 12. I don't plan on using Omanyte because that nature is terrible, and I also have a ton of other Water-types to choose from (on a side note, Kabuto has a Timid nature so, that doesn't help it out either). Therefore, Omanyte will be going into the NO box.

Omanyte and Omastar only for 1 change, being that Omanyte will learn Earth Power at Lvl 58 while Omaster will learn Earth Power at Lvl 75.

Next is Anorith, which I nicknamed Rutger after a very stern, and arrogant sword fighter (or myrmidon in FE terms) with a sworn vengeance against Bern from FE6. Anorith is pretty decent overall, the only problem really is its late evolution. Since I don't have many usable Rock-types, it will go into the MAYBE box for now.

Anorith did receive a handful of changes, the first being that the Anorith line has access to Swift Swim as a potential nature. Armaldo also has 2 additional level up moves, being Aqua Tail (Lvl 40) and Superpower (Lvl 79).

To conclude, we have Cranidos, who I named Kieran after a hotblooded and loud cavalier who holds a 1-sided rivalry with another cavalier from FE9 and 10. As you can tell by the nature, Cranidos is going into the NO box since the whole reason to use Cranidos is because of its sky-high Attack.

As for changes, the Cranidos line has access to Reckless as a possible ability. In addition, Cranidos will learn Crunch (Lvl 47) and Hammer Arm (Lvl 53), while Rampardos will learn the same moves but, at Lvl 61 and Lvl 70 respectively.

Also I just have a box titled RANDOM for just random Pokemon that I don't want to release but, don't necessarily need at this moment.

Next stop is the Goldenrod Department Store! Which did receive a few changes, in regards to what you are able to buy early on in this game.

Also, I honestly wish you could haggle prices in Pokemon games. It's unfortunate that we have to buy things at full price for the amount of errands we accomplish as the protagonist of the game.

On the 2nd Floor, you are now able to purchase the 4 basic evolutionary stones, which is a very nice change considering the amount of stone evolutions from Kanto Pokemon alone.

Also exhibit B on why I need a ton of money in this game, to buy all these TMs. There are a few new TMs that were not in HG/SS, like TM28 Dig, TM51 Roost, and TM86 Grass Knot for example.

Lol, because the basement is not available to customers, I'm still gonna bring you there anyways (flawless logic). Not much important loot that we can get in here (there is an item tucked away but, it's locked behind a door). Though we will have to return back here for something quite important later on (not the Goldenrod invasion fyi).

This is tooootally foreshadowing into something important later on. Also, I like how no one questions the random Rocket Grunt standing out in the open (where is security when you need them?).

I feel like this update has dragged on forever but, this is the final stop of our Goldenrod City tour.

Yeah, I heard that they were giving out free radio cards as well. Though the quiz shouldn't be too difficult considering all I've done so far in towns are quizzes (the quiz didn't change from HG/SS, so it's still really easy). Not sure how Whitney isn't able to figure it out .-.

Manged to answer all 5 questions with ease, and we get the radio card which will let us listen to the radio anywhere! (Which won't be useful until we get access to swarms).

Alright then (though first time I did get this question wrong since I read it as apricorns not apricots).

More foreshadowing!!!! YAY!

Remember when I said Radio Tower was our last stop? I lied and didn't feel like changing the commentary I did back then. So once again, everyone just talks about this dancing tree and NO ONE does anything about it...

Idk why you brought up the watering can solution then? Also I highly doubt it'd be dangerous at all >.> So we are stuck until we defeat Whitney.

Errand boy to the rescue! I promise that this is our last pit stop of the day.

Again with the dumb tree... Though I guess this guy has a valid excuse since he can't leave the gate to solve the problem. Since I'm a perfectionist and hate things out of line, I will not be using this Spearow since Dux/Kenya isn't a name for any FE character. Therefore, I will be delivering this Spearow to the sleepy man in Route 31.

Alright and with that, I shall conclude this update. In this next update, I will be doing some backtracking (probably up to Azalea Town) and also exploring the surrounding routes to the north of Goldenrod City for more encounters! Byeeee :D

Arvis ♂ (Quilava)
Level 20
Gentle Nature
- Ember
- Flame Wheel
- Quick Attack
- Cut

Level 20
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Quick Attack
- Bite
- Rock Smash

Seth ♂ (Luxio)
Level 21
Modest Nature
- Spark
- Night Slash
- Headbutt
- Leer

Laslow ♂ (Noctowl)
Level 21
Lonely Nature
- Air Cutter
- Uproar
- Hypnosis
- Reflect

Dart ♂ (Wartortle)
Level 21
Hasty Nature
- Water Pulse
- Aqua Jet
- Bite
- Withdraw

Last edited:
Nice update! Couple of things:
Did SG/SS add some kind of boost to Electric moves in rain? You said that with respect to the Luxio v Butterfree matchup, but that’s not true in the main games.
Bugsy’s Pinsir was likely faster than your Wartortle, it’s just that Vital Throw has negative priority in exchange for its perfect accuracy.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Nice update! Couple of things:
Did SG/SS add some kind of boost to Electric moves in rain? You said that with respect to the Luxio v Butterfree matchup, but that’s not true in the main games.
Bugsy’s Pinsir was likely faster than your Wartortle, it’s just that Vital Throw has negative priority in exchange for its perfect accuracy.
Oh I see gotcha, yeah I guess I have been thinking that rain boosts the power of Electric and Water moves, when it really only boosts the power of Electric moves. Didn't know that about Vital Throw, don't think I've used it ever so I didn't know that it caused the user to move last for a 100% accurate move. Learn something new everyday :D

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist

Ayo! Back with Update #6. In this update, I'll be doing quite a bit of backtracking (unfortunately, this won't be the end of the backtracking on foot adventures), as well as catching 1st encounters in the routes/areas north of Goldenrod.

The backtracking on-foot adventures start and we make our way all the way through Ilex Forest to reach Azalea Town, again.

Anyways, we arrived. There are 2 things I need to pick up here, 1 item (that I missed), and 1 interactable mon (that you probably know by now) that we can capture to utilize!

First errand is picking up the Charcoal, I could've gotten it if I just left Ilex Forest and went to the woodcutter's house, instead of just going all the way to Goldenrod City but... I didn't think about it at the time. Well the Charcoal will be on Quilava as of now.

The final errand in Azalea Town means taking a visit to Slowpoke Well (I'll probably have to revisit it again once I get the Surf and Strength HMs).

So yeah, the Odd Keystone we got from Cynthia on the gate connecting Route 34 and Ilex Forest is used over here at Slowpoke Well (not sure how it works). Spiritomb's cry also sounds weird apparently?? Yulaaaah!

Not too difficult to catch, and it's availability is pretty fantastic in this game. Nicknamed Tharja after a dark mage who is obsessed with hexes and curses, while also having an unhealthy obsession with the protagonist of the game.

Spiritomb really only received 1 buff (even though it listed 2 on the documentation). The only true buff it got was learning Pain Split at Lvl 61, the other "buff" is learning Shadow Sneak at Lvl 55. Problem is that, Spiritomb learns Shadow Sneak as a Lvl 1 move, so this Spiritomb already has Shadow Sneak available. Not really sure where Dray was going with this (or maybe he meant Shadow Ball?).

Anyways, at this point in the game, Spiritomb is a pretty fantastic mon. The biggest thing about this Spiritomb specifically is that it is female, meaning that it will put in a lot of work against Whitney since it won't be affect by Attract. For now, it'll go in the YES box until I catch the other encounters to see all my available options.

Even more backtracking! Well there is one thing I needed to pickup (that I could've picked up the first time I made it to Violet City during Update #1 or 2. So I'm picking this important item up now.

Yep, this is not the item to miss in a Nuzlocke. I receive the Exp. Share like 4 updates down the road of when I should've gotten it :eyes:

Since the gatekeeper's friend is at Route 31, time to go search him out.

That's a really interesting to randomly say...? The game reaaaally makes it easy for you to find where certain NPCs are.

And with that, we return Dux/Kenya (I forgot what the name was, I'm pretty sure it was Dux) with the mail and we get TM44 Rest in return! Which is honestly not a really good train since that Spearow is a pretty solid mon, only problem is that it does not have an FE name.

Even more flippin' backtracking. Also I withdrew Togepi from the PC at Cherrygrove since we needed to show it to Elm for the final errand of this update.

Home sweet home! I'm back back back, back again.

Well Togepi is a native Pokemon to Johto so, I'm surprised this was your first time seeing it >.> Also I like how Elm thought the legendary Pokemon could've been Togepi (now I wish that was the case). Though, I guess it could be one of the pseudo, pseudo legendary Pokemon like Zoroark, Lucario, and Arcanine.

For all of our on-foot traveling, we get an Everstone! Which is definitely not worth the time and effort. Unfortunately, I will have to come back to New Bark Town later on (most likely after we get rid of the odd tree blocking the way).

After some painstaking backtracking, I made it back to Goldenrod City! I made it back the next day, so the lighting is different.

Now I shall begin the exploration of the northern routes to catch more Pokemon. Also, I tried my best to dodge every trainer in the way so I have some victims to grind up my potential 6th party member.

This is my Route 35 encounter! Nicknamed Mathilda after a knight (cavalier/paladin in this case) of the Deliverance, who has a relationship with the previous leader of the Deliverance from FE2/15.

Nidoran didn't get many buffs. The main one both Nidoran and Nidorina received is that they both learn Super Fang at Lvl 47 and Lvl 65 respectively. Nidoqueen received a buff to its HP (90 -> 100), to make it stand out more in-comparison to Nidoking I assume.

Nidoran is overall an alright mon in my opinion. It's pretty TM reliant so I'll have to wait to use it until I have enough money to spend on TMs. It will go into the MAYBE box since it's ok, I most likely won't use it anytime soon in this run. Also, Gen 4 not having Sheer Force kinda sucks since it decreases Nidoqueen (and Nidoking's) power quite a bit.

Also this construction worker is blocking our way to National Park since there's going to be a big surprise there.

Information on the Big-Catching Contest, I will need to participate in one to reach the true, true ending of this game (more than just beating Red fyi).

Next up, is National Park. Also, the cutscene artwork for National Park at night is amazing!

And this is our first encounter over here, this Kakuna. Nicknamed Dew after a thief who rescues a priestess from prison in FE4.

The Weedle line did receive a lot of buffs, similarly to the Caterpie line. Like all the 1st stage Bug-types in the game, Weedle learns Bug Bite at Lvl 1. As for Beedrill, it now learns Twineedle (Lvl 10), Aerial Ace (Lvl 16), Cross Poison (Lvl 16), Night Slash (Lvl 22), X-Scissor (Lvl 31), Drill Peck (Lvl 37), and Megahorn (Lvl 43). Beedrill also received buffs to its stats, being Attack (80 -> 100), Special Defense (80 -> 90), and Speed (75 -> 95).

Despite all these pretty significant buffs to Beedrill, Kakuna will still be going into the NO box. The Modest nature is pretty harsh and since Kakuna is a high level, Beedrill won't be learning its important STAB moves until I get access to Heart Scales (it'll be stuck with Harden).

Also this TM was hidden in the corner of National Park, pretty solid buff to any Ground-type at this point in the game.

Looks like there was a bit of an oversight, said Bike Shop apparently still exists and they somehow have our number and knew we were using their Bicycle. I guess the old Bike Shop hasn't been fully converted into the brand new Archaeology Shop.

Route 36 is the last stop on our "catching 1st encounters" journey.

We get a Vulpix as the first encounter! I named it Calill after a narcissistic and over-confident fire mage from FE9/10.

The Vulpix line did receive a handful of buffs in this game. As for movepools, Vulpix learns Hypnosis at Lvl 14, while Ninetales learns Morning Sun at Lvl 1. Vulpix also receives Forewarn, while Ninetales receives Drought as possible secondary abilities in addition to Flash Fire. Lastly, both mons received TM compatibility with Energy Ball.

Vulpix would've been better if it didn't have a -Spe nature. Since I have a soft spot for Vulpix, it will go into the MAYBE box (but it most likely will be a maybe leaning closer to no). Though, who knows, Chimchar has a -Spe nature and I still put it in the YES box so, Vulpix could potentially be picked up in the future.

Soooo... You aren't going to do anything about despite knowing a solution to solve this problem? Idk I guess this odd tree is just causing everyone so many problems. Besides, shouldn't you have a watering can with you to douse this tree with?

Anyways, the 6th party member should be a fairly easy pick, it's Spiritomb! It will definitely be a great addition against the next few Gym Battles (hopefully).

Also, I did not forget about the Goldenrod Underground. There's actually a new event that occurs in here that I wanted to save for later, once I pick up my 6th party member.

Oh look! We meet up with Lyra once again. Normally she'd give you the Fashion Case and be on her way but...

In SG/SS she challenges you to a friendly (and she means friendly) battle instead.

Vs. Lyra

Nidorina - Lvl 21 - Double Kick | Aerial Ace | Thunder | Blizzard
Marill - Lvl 21 - BubbleBeam | Blizzard | Double Team | Focus Punch
Roselia - Lvl 21 - Magical Leaf | Grass Knot | Stun Spore | Leech Seed
Ninetales @ Sitrus Berry - Lvl 23 - Flamethrower | Confuse Ray | Safeguard | Ominous Wind

Lyra has an extremely annoying team to face, just because of how many status inducing moves (or moves with status inducing secondary effects) on every single Pokemon she has. So, the strategy is just hope luck stays on my side and we don't get overwhelmed by all those status effects she has at hand. Also, Marill has a Double Team + Focus Punch strategy so, watch out for that.

Side note - Ethan does have a completely different team but, the strategy is similar since his team also has a ton of status inducing moves as well. Though of the 2, I'd say Ethan is definitely harder.

Alright, and to start the battle off we have Lyra leading with Nidorina while I lead with Spiritomb.

Nidorina somehow manages to land a Thunder (Lyra must be rich to afford such expensive TMs early on), while Spiritomb lands a lucky Hypnosis onto Nidorina.

While Nidorina is asleep, Spiritomb deals quite a bit of damage with Dream Eater.

On the next turn, Lyra heals up Nidorina with a Lemonade while Spiritomb attacks it with another Dream Eater. On the following turn, Nidorina stays asleep while a 3rd Dream Eater knocks it out.

Next up is Lyra's signature Pokemon, Marill. I switch out Spiritomb for Leafeon due to the type-matchup.

Leafeon's Bullet Seed hits 2 times, nearly knocking out Marill, while Marill boosts its evasion with Double Team.

Unfortunately, Bullet Seed misses due to the evasion boosts while Marill deals a sizable chunk with Blizzard (I was surprised it did that much considering Marill's Special Attack is quite low, while Leafeon is quite bulky as well).

This was a very big risk (considering a 2nd attack from Marill could knock Leafeon out) but, Leafeon takes down Marill with a Quick Attack.

Lyra then sends in her "ace" (her ace at the time), Ninetales while I opt for Noctowl due to its Special Defense stat.

Unfortunately, Noctowl isn't able to do much since it hit itself twice due to confusion. Ninetales is also able to chunk Noctowl with Flamethrower as well.

I ended up switching out Noctowl for Wartortle, and on the same turn Ninetales goes for Safeguard.

Ninetales then tries to confuse Wartortle but, it manages to break free and attacked with Water Pulse.

Anticipating a water move, Lyra switches out Ninetales for Roselia, which causes Water Pulse to barely damage Roselia.

I switched out to Quilava and luckily, Roselia misses its Stun Spore.

Quilava's Ember deals more than half to Roselia but, Roselia manages to paralyze Quilava with Stun Spore. Not mentioned but, Safeguard also wears off during this time.

Quilava tanks 2 Magical Leafs (Quilava got fully paralyzed during the turn before), and takes down Roselia with a Flame Wheel.

Lyra then sends in her Ninetales again, and I switch out to Wartortle.

Ninetales attacks with Flamethrower, dealing a decent amount to Wartortle, and Water Pulse brings Ninetales down to below half, activating its Sitrus Berry in the process.

During the next turn, Ninetales sets up Safeguard and once again, Wartortle fires off another Water Pulse.

On the earlier turn, Ninetales confuses Wartortle, causing it to hurt itself. On the final turn, Ninetales fires off a Flamethrower but, Wartortle snaps out of confusion and takes out Ninetales with 1 final Water Pulse.

Lyra really meant that this was a friendly battle since we get no money from her (she doesn't have a defeat quote either FYI). Anyways, we defeated Lyra!

Cool, I've always liked the dress-up portion of Sinnoh's Pokemon Contests honestly (though grinding for accessories was such a pain in the ass), Lyra also gives us a Fashion Case to use.

Alright, time to explore the Goldenrod Underground and hopefully grind up Spiritomb a bit.

Also Kabuto magically floats in Pokemon... spooky

And then this happened. You might be wondering what the actual heck happened here, and I can explain. So originally, I had Spiritomb battling this Bronzor but, Spiritomb got haxed out since it kept hitting itself due to Confuse Ray. So I switch out to Quilava while Bronzor uses Night Shade which dealt 20 damage (obviously). The next turn, Quilava deals more than half with Ember while Bronzor uses Confuse Ray. The turn after, Quilava hits itself and an Extrasensory crit takes down Quilava.

So that's the story, this is Super Nerd Eric's Bronzor in case you were wondering. Man, I don't think I've had a starter last past the 3rd gym in any Nuzlocke run I've done.

The replacement for Quilava should be obvious, I chose the Chimchar we got last update. Still wanted to use it despite the -Spe nature, and it's unfortunate it won't be learning Mach Punch until I get access to the move reminder :c

Also more foreshadowing, Goldenrod City has a ton of foreshadowing on what's to come later on.

Anyways, I actually take this opportunity to revisit the routes where I dodged trainers and to actually battle the ones I missed for more EXP, mainly to get Chimchar to evolve.

I actually delayed Chimchar's evolution since Chimchar learns Nasty Plot at Lvl 23 (which wasn't a big deal to grind it 3 extra levels). Honestly not even sure if I'm going to keep Nasty Plot but, it's an option I have at least.

While revisiting Route 35, I got TM66 Payback off the ground.

With all the trainers beaten in the surrounding routes, it's time to challenge the Gym trainers inside Whitney's gym!

Actually managed to get everyone at the level I wanted them to be at just by battling trainers, which is nice since I'm not a fan of grinding overall. Level 24 is a pretty fair level since that's the level of Whitney's ace (spoilers).

So with all of that out of the way, the path to Whitney is clear! Update #6 is officially over, in the next update I'll be challenging Whitney, exploring the Ecruteak City, and probably end it off there (maybe, who knows?).

\o

Rinkah ♀ (Monferno) @ Charcoal
Level 24
Relaxed Nature
- Flame Wheel
- Ember
- Rock Smash
- Nasty Plot

Level 24
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Quick Attack
- Bite
- Rock Smash

Seth ♂ (Luxio)
Level 24
Modest Nature
- Spark
- Night Slash
- Headbutt
- Leer

Laslow ♂ (Noctowl)
Level 24
Lonely Nature
- Air Cutter
- Uproar
- Hypnosis
- Reflect

Dart ♂ (Wartortle)
Level 24
Hasty Nature
- Water Pulse
- Aqua Jet
- Bite
- Protect

Tharja ♀ (Spiritomb)
Level 24
Ability: Pressure
Serious Nature
- Faint Attack
- Shadow Sneak
- Hypnosis
- Dream Eater

Currently doing a (normal. I don't do Nuzlockes. I'm not that masochistic.) run of another one of Dray's hacks. FireRed Omega, his first one, to be exact. Did some hacking of the hack (I get the irony here!) to fix some things up and also bring some things to my standards (like I usually do). Currently at the E4 and I'll need to probably grind to stand a chance. However, the speed up button and a Lucky Egg will ease that......

Good luck in your run as I try in mine.

I don't usually comment in these kinds of threads, but the hax gods saw that they were being too nice to you so they took your starter. That is simply the sadism that they bring with them.

honestly all of my hgss nuzlocke attempts ended the moment I lost a starter because I got sad over starter :(
well good luck with your replacement chimchar lol

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
@ King Feraligatr - Good luck! I actually never really finished Fire Red Omega because my save data got lost somewhere and I don't really have the motivation to continue lol. Though, I gotta say I'm not a fan of the Elekid/Magby/Smoochum starters, I guess I'm way too traditional of a Pokemon player to see non-traditional starters.

@ BackAtYouBro - The hax gods did indeed look down on me in the previous update, though I did hax both Falkner and Bugsy so, I guess they wanted to balance out my good and bad luck?

@ Altissimo - Yeah Chimchar should be a great replacement, though it kinda sucks since I don't think I've been able to keep a starter till it reaches its stage 3 evolution XD. Though yeah, it sucks when you lose a mon that you get attached to :c

Heyo! Welcome back to a new update :D In this update, I won't be covering as much but, it is still a pretty lengthy update.

And we start off with the Gym Battle against Whitney, obviously since we are here, we might as well right? Also, we cannot progress until we get that Plain Badge since all the other overworld NPCs are lowkey useless.

With that, we commence our battle for the Plain Badge, let's go!

Vs. Whitney

Lickitung - Lvl 21 - Power Whip | Body Slam | Disable | Attract
Wigglytuff - Lvl 22 - Attract | Wish | Ice Beam | Psychic
Lopunny - Lvl 21 - Attract | Agility | Jump Kick | Dizzy Punch
Stantler - Lvl 21 - Hypnosis | Zen Headbutt | Attract | Stomp
Clefable @ Sitrus Berry - Lvl 22 - Water Pulse | Reflect | Attract | Charge Beam
Miltank @ Lum Berry - Lvl 24 - Milk Drink | Body Slam | Attract | Rollout

First of all, I'm mad at myself for not putting the Pokemon sets in order of level but, I'm too lazy to change it. Anyways, Whitney is pretty tough (though there are many ways to cheese her) just because of how bulky her Pokemon are, and how you probably don't have access to many high BP moves yet (unless you plan on breaking your wallet). Just having either Spiritomb or utilizing either Bulk Up or Calm Mind (some good ones that come to mind are Espeon and Breloom) will make this battle a lot more manageable.

Her strategy is to basically lure in traditional Normal-checks and take them out with her assortment of coverage moves her Pokemon own. For example, Lickitung's Power Whip lures in Rock-types, Wigglytuff's Psychic and Stantler's Zen Headbutt lure in Fighting-types, Lopunny's Jump Kick lures in Steel-types, and more. So just be mindful of the seemingly random coverage moves her team has. Also there's that raid boss of a Miltank that she has that will just never faint.

Without further ado, let's get right to the battle! Whitney leads of the battle with Lickitung while I lead with Monferno.

Not that it really matters but, Monferno attacks with Rock Smash and gets the very useful Defense drop onto Lickitung. Unfortunately, Lickitung gets a lucky paralysis effect onto Monferno with Body Slam.

And Lickitung is smart and uses Disable onto Monferno now that it is faster than Monferno, so Rock Smash obviously doesn't connect.

So I switch out to Noctowl (this was a misclick, I meant Spiritomb), who tanks the next Body Slam. Though for some reason Noctowl gets paralyzed from the attack as well.

Lickitung then attacks with yet another Body Slam, I thought I'd be able to KO Lickitung with an Uproar (though now that I'm typing this update out, I doubt it'd KO at this range), but Noctowl gets fully paralyzed.

At this point, I was like "fk it" and just send in Spiritomb which isn't affected by Body Slam. On the next turn, Spiritomb outspeeds and knocks out Lickitung with Faint Attack.

Next up is Whitney's Wigglytuff, and I switch out Spiritomb for Luxio thinking it'd put in work.

Though it doesn't really work out, I thought Night Slash would do more but it just tickled Wigglytuff. Also Wigglytuff uses Whitney's signature move, Attract, onto it (unfortunately my team is like 2/3's male).

I switch out Luxio for Spiritomb to tank the next Ice Beam.

Alright so this is why Whitney is annoying, her Pokemon tend to have self-healing moves (in addition to Whitney's potions). So Wigglytuff uses Wish but, Spiritomb lands a Hypnosis to put it to sleep.

Over the next 2 turns, I cure Monferno's paralysis while Wigglytuff's Wish comes through to heal it back to full. Spiritomb also deals quite a chunk to Wigglytuff with Faint Attack on the next turn.

Lord help me, Wigglytuff uses yet another flippin' Wish while Spiritomb attacks with Faint Attack. This Gym battle goes on for quite a while as you guys might have guessed, I wished I just cheesed Whitney.

(!#&)*^&$@(*(*$_($*( Not going to commentate this turn, you guys know how frustrated I am at this point. Also Hypnosis was the move that missed.

ALRIGHT! So Wigglytuff fires off an Ice Beam but, Spiritomb lands a Hypnosis onto it.

Even though this was a very big risk (since Wigglytuff does have Psychic and it'll probably KO Monferno at that range), I was probably too frustrated and just decided to risk it, so I hard switch in Monferno.

Finally, so Monferno attacks with Rock Smash and luckily, Wigglytuff stays asleep during this turn. The next Rock Smash then takes out Wigglytuff for good.

Next in line is Whitney's Lopunny, and I go back out to Spiritomb since it completely walls Lopunny.

I take this time to heal up Spiritomb but, since Whitney is smart she switches out her Lopunny for Clefable.

So I switch out to Leafeon as Clefable sets up the Reflect, which sucks for me.

This is a pretty reoccurring cycle in this match but, Leafeon will attack with Rock Smash while Clefable will use Water Pulse.

Rock Smash brings Clefable down past half (barely), which activates Clefable's Sitrus Berry. Then Clefable then uses Attract onto Leafeon which sucks.

Alright so this is actually going to be commentary for the next 4 turns. So both of our Pokemon will use the same moves, Rock Smash and Water Pulse respectively. Though by the grace of the gods above, Leafeon managed to break through 4 turns of infatuations which is pretty nice. Also, Reflect wore off during the 4th turn of this back and forth.

Anyways, the 4th Rock Smash actually takes down Clefable. That's 2 annoying Pokemon down, and 1 more to go.

Here comes everyone's Johto nightmare, Whitney's Miltank (which has the same moveset, just with Body Slam over Stomp for more annoyances). I switch out to Spiritomb, anticipating this will be an easy matchup.

Surprise! I completely forgot that Miltank had Scrappy as it's ability, so it explained why Body Slam landed (I was so confused at the time, until I remembered this crucial detail). Also Hypnosis missing made me cry a bit on the inside.

Buckle up y'all, this is gonna be a looooooooong battle with this Miltank. Expect a lot of screenshots of me struggling.

Another fantastic turn... for Whitney. Miltank uses Body Slam, as usual but, even though Spiritomb's Hypnosis lands, it gets cured immediately by Miltank's Lum Berry.

I'm forced to heal Spiritomb at this point, and Miltank attacks with another Body Slam (good thing Spiritomb has Pressure).

Alright, so Spiritomb is able to tank a Body Slam and fire off another Hypnosis to put Miltank to sleep.

I take this opportunity to switch out into Leafeon.

So Miltank manages to stay asleep for the next 3 turns, while Leafeon attacks with Rock Smash all 3 of those turns. Unfortunately, this is the one time I desperately wanted a Defense drop but, I didn't get one.

Thinking back, I honestly should've used Bullet Seed all 3 turns (though that was a bit riskier imo).

Knowing Rock Smash wouldn't knock out Miltank at that range, I decided to use Bullet Seed and pray I get 4 hits.

Lol nope ;w;w;w;w;w;w; Bullet Seed only hits 3 times, leaving Miltank with just a sliver of HP left. Then it started to recover back up with Milk Drink.

Next 3 turns just constituted Leafeon attacking with Rock Smash, while Miltank tries to heal back to full with Milk Drink.

This battle is so fun! Leafeon attacks with Rock Smash but, gets attracted by Miltank unfortunately.

And the Rock Smash -> Milk Drink back and forth resumes (just for 1 turn though).

Very fun turn for me, good thing Leafeon is physically bulky. So basically, Leafeon just can't move and Miltank just repeatedly attacks with Body Slam. Also the next few turns was literally me crying myself to sleep since Leafeon literally could not move due to paralysis + infatuation. I also healed up Leafeon randomly during those turns (which I really didn't need to honestly) but, it consumed some of Miltank's Body Slam PP so it worked out in the end.

After all of that riffraff with Leafeon, I switch back to Spiritomb. Also during Leafeon's riffraff, I healed up Spiritomb at some point.

Not the greatest start honestly, Miltank gets a critical hit and paralysis with Body Slam (so now I'm kinda like done with this battle).

So I heal up Spiritomb (I've used 4 potions, and 1 status-curing item thus far), and since Miltank ran out of Body Slams, it starts to attack with Rollout.

Luckily, Miltank missed the next boosted Rollout but, Spiritomb gets paralyzed and can't use Hypnosis this turn.

Next turn however, Miltank does land a Rollout which did no damage and, Spiritomb lands another Hypnosis.

Alright now with no more worries of a Body Slam (or Attract), I can safely switch to Monferno and hope it takes out this raid boss off a Pokemon.

And it does! Miltank actually stayed asleep for 3 turns, and Monferno managed to take it down with 3 Rock Smashes (still no defense drop smh). I also have the screenshot to prove I took down this behemoth.

Also this is pretty much GG since Stantler and Lopunny don't have any moves that can touch Spiritomb.

Speaking of Lopunny, Whitney sends it in once again and I switch back out to Spiritomb.

I'm just going to give a rundown on what happens next to save y'alls eyes (and time). So I cured Spiritomb's paralysis during the first turn (I wished I didn't and I'll explain why). Since Lopunny can't do anything, it just spammed Agility and Return/Attract (which have no effect on Spiritomb), while I had Spiritomb spam Faint Attack. Also Whitney heals up Lopunny during that time so, that was a bit of an inconvenience.

Eventually, Lopunny does fall to who knows how many Faint Attacks (I think around 6-8?).

Alright, this is the home stretch. Whitney then sends in her last Pokemon, Stantler, while I stay in with Spiritomb.

RIP, the text got cut-off. I should've left Spiritomb paralyzed so Stantler wouldn't be able to get off a Hypnosis onto it. Luckily, Stantler misses its Hypnosis while Spiritomb lands its own.

Poor you indeed, but I don't feel bad after having to face your Wigglytuff/Clefable/Miltank. Anyways, Spiritomb attacks with Dream Eater while Stantler stays asleep.

I can finally breathe now, this battle has been going on far too long. One last Dream Eater does take down Stantler in the end.

Literally how I felt after the battle, and we have defeated Whitney! FINALLY! Time for our badge :D I didn't want to cheese Whitney tbh, but I wished I did.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. This game ain't for the weak.

Wow, what great sportsmanship by the person that represents the Goldenrod Gym.

Uhhh, yes I want the badge, or else I wouldn't have wanted to go through this whole ordeal in the first place >.> (or if the lady in the flower shop cooperated). In addition to the Plain Badge, we also get TM45 Attract (which I may or may not use)!

Haha, no. As much as I loved the Pokeathlon Dome (I really was at the dome a ton back when HG/SS first came out, I thought it was the greatest thing ever), I think I'll pass this time around.

On our way out, we also receive Whitney's phone number!

This is the aftermath of the battle. In total, I used 4 potions (3 Super, 1 Hyper) and 2 Paralyze Heals. MVP of the battle is easily Spiritomb since it cleaned up the matches against Lickitung, and helped with Wigglytuff and Miltank by putting them to sleep. Also Spiritomb made it so it was 6v4 since it completely bodied Lopunny and Stantler as well.

Leafeon follows up since it took down Clefable and did some nice PP stalling but, it didn't do as much as Spiritomb.

Finally, we receive the much needed SquirtBottle to continue our journey.

Time to leave Goldenrod City and move on to Ecruteak City! (I'd say for good but, we will definitely be returning very soon lol).

Now we can finally do something about this tree that has caused all the problems so far in this game.

Surprise, surprise the odd tree turned out to be Sudowoodo (who could've guessed). I named her Effie after an extremely loyal retainer, who has a huge appetite and has an obsession with working out, from FE14.

Sudowoodo mainly got some pretty nice stat buffs (Bonsly received no changes FYI). Sudowoodo's base HP (70 -> 75), Attack (100 -> 115), Defense (115 -> 130), and Special Defense (65 -> 80) have all been buffed pretty nicely, making it a pretty decent tank (though the Speed is still kind of an issue). Sudowoodo also learns Selfdestruct at Lvl 53 as well.

Overall, Sudowoodo is ok even with the stat buffs. I put it in the MAYBE box since I could possibly use it in the future, but for now, I probably will not be using it.

This lady is a snake, she probably has her own SquirtBottle that she refuses to use. Though we do get the Berry Pots from her since we entertained her well (probably won't be using it since I'm not interested in Berries in this run).

Anyways, before I make my way to Ecruteak City... I needed to take a pit stop in New Bark Town, specifically into my house.

Not to visit our mom but, to start hitting our TV. You might be familiar with this event from D/P/Pt but, we couldn't do this event during our first backtracking session since you need the Plain Badge to activate this event.

With that, we summoned a Rotom from our TV set, spooky. I nicknamed it Ewan after one of the three trainee units (the mage trainee unit to be exact) from FE8.

The main changes to Rotom is that now all the Rotom forms follow their Gen 5 typing (for example, Rotom-Wash isn't Electric/Ghost and is now Electric/Water). Both Rotom and Rotom-Fan also received changes (the other forms mentioned did not receive changes). Regular Rotom received buffs to its Special Attack (95 -> 105) and Speed (91 -> 101). Rotom-Fan did get reworked overall, it did receive nerfs to its Defense (107 -> 92) and Special Defense (107 -> 92) but, it got an increase in Speed (86 -> 116). Rotom-Fan also now has Motor Drive as its main ability, as opposed to the useless Levitate (in regards to its typing).

Rotom is a fantastic mon (we can actually change its form right now if I wanted to), so didn't really have to think twice about putting it into the YES box.

Wow we saved the day. Also that TV probably stays on the entire time, save electricity yo. Also, that Rotom made me go through almost all the Pokeballs I had on hand, so that was fun.

Not going to use Rotom for now but, I might as well show off where you can change its form. For that, I make my way to the basement of the Goldenrod Department store.

So in order to get to the specific room, we have to talk to this burglar hiding behind the crate.

There you have it! We have been teleported into Rotom's room within Saffron City (specifically the Sliph Co. building). Also to exit, you just have to interact with the guy's Claydol.

And you get teleported in front of the PC. Now with that all done, time to resume our journey.

Also received TM31 Brick Break from this random guy hitting trees, that's always nice.

New route means new Pokemon! The night encounters in this route are actually pretty solid for the most part.

Not a bad pick up overall. I nicknamed it Shanna after a pegasus knight (who happens to be a mercenary) in training from FE6.

The Pidgey line also received some pretty decent changes (mainly to their early game). Pidgey and Pidgeotto now learn Gust (Lvl 1), Pluck (Lvl 9), and Brave Bird (Lvl 53 and 62 respectively). As for Pidgeot, it received buffs to its HP (83 -> 103) and Attack (80 -> 91). In addition, Pidgeot also learns Razor Wind (Lvl 1, via Move Reminder), Close Combat (Lvl 36), and Brave Bird (Lvl 68).

Pidgeotto is an overall pretty solid Flying-type in this game, the buffs it received makes me decently bulky while also increasing its offensive capabilities. Adamant nature is also a very nice pickup as well. With these traits in mind, Pidgeotto will be going into the YES box for now, having extra Flying-types are nice to have around in a Nuzlocke.

After all of that, we arrived to Ecruteak City! (I really like the BGM of Ecruteak quite a bit).

Not sure if Bill is trying to brag or just being sassy in general but, I'll give him the benefit of a doubt. So anyways, I actually want to visit Bill since we get something decent-ish from him (it won't be another Eevee since we already got one from Cynthia).

Also, the gate to Mt. Mortar is now blocked! Since it wasn't blocked in HG/SS, you could technically visit Mahogany Town right when you beat Morty since all you needed is Surf to reach there.

The only Pokemon we can get right now through fishing is Magikarp, and since I don't want a Magikarp (just because we do get a Gyarados after all, oops spoilers). I can get like 3 (I think?) potential different encounters from headbutting trees.

After painstakingly headbutting trees for like 10 minutes, we get ourselves a unique encounter (I kept getting Hoothoot and Pineco, which we already have, bless species clause). Nicknamed Tine after an insecure thunder mage who had to witness the abuse of her mother as a child from FE4.

The changes Exeggcute and Exeggutor are mainly additions to their movepools. Exeggute now learns Mega Drain (Lvl 3), Confusion (Lvl 14, moved from Lvl 27), and Giga Drain (Lvl 27, replacing Confusion). As for Exeggutor, it now learns Nature Power at Lvl 57.

Exeggcute is pretty solid overall, just because it's decently bulky and has pretty decent matchups against some boss trainers. Not much to say other than that, though it's unfortunate Exeggcute/Exeggutor cannot learn Calm Mind. I wished I put it in the MAYBE box but, at the time I put it in the YES box and now I'm too lazy to change it.

Alright, backtracking 2.0, this time to meet up with Bill. Took me a while to find his house since I legitimately did not remember.

Surprise! Bill actually wants us to take care of the Castform he received from the Castform-trafficking Weather Institute in the Hoenn Region. Apparently he's so busy that he is unable to play with it (despite him just sitting at his mom's house, doing nothing).

I mean I don't see why not, might as well fill up my reserve with more Pokemon! Also the only reason I backtracked for this is so I can get the Mystic Water that Castform holds, and give it to Wartortle.

Alright, this is my Castform! I nicknamed it Mae after an enthusiastic mage who often bickers with her rival mage from FE2/15.

Contrary to what people might think of Castform, it's actually not too bad in this game overall. Castform still has its large movepool but, now it actually has the stats to back it up. These changes include buffs to Castform's Special Attack (70 -> 110), Special Defense (70 -> 80), and Speed (70 -> 80).

In a normal playthrough, Castform would almost always won't ever be used but, in this run it seems alright overall. It'll go into the MAYBE box and could possibly see use in the future. The nature is also not bad as well.

With all that out of the way, I make my way back to Ecruteak City. That will be all for this update, I was mentally drained after the battle with Whitney (and the update feels like it's going on for a while), so I won't be exploring the Burned Tower in this update. Not sure if I'll be able to squeeze in the Burned Tower and Morty in Update #8 but, we'll see.

Rinkah ♀ (Monferno) @ Charcoal
Level 25
Relaxed Nature
- Flame Wheel
- Ember
- Rock Smash
- Nasty Plot

Level 25
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Quick Attack
- Bite
- Rock Smash

Seth ♂ (Luxio)
Level 25
Modest Nature
- Spark
- Night Slash
- Headbutt
- Leer

Laslow ♂ (Noctowl)
Level 24
Lonely Nature
- Air Cutter
- Uproar
- Hypnosis
- Reflect

Dart ♂ (Wartortle) @ Mystic Water
Level 25
Hasty Nature
- Water Pulse
- Aqua Jet
- Bite
- Protect

Tharja ♀ (Spiritomb)
Level 26
Ability: Pressure
Serious Nature
- Faint Attack
- Ominous Wind
- Hypnosis
- Dream Eater

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)