X&Y LITTLE CUP VICTIM OF THE WEEK (Week 5, SD Gligar) (SEE POST 207)

Magby @ Berry Juice
Ability: Vital Spirit
Level: 5
EVs: 236 HP / 116 SpA / 156 SpD / 36 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Psychic
- Hidden Power Grass/Fighting
- Will-O-Wisp/Toxic
I really like this set. In my humble opnion, Insomnia is a much better answer to Sleep Powder than a lot of these Rest Talk sets because you aren't leaving your success up to chance. My only issue with it is that Magby is usually OHKO'd by Ancient Power after rocks.

200+ SpA Life Orb Tangela AncientPower vs. 236 HP / 156 SpD (custom): 16-21 (66.66 - 87.5%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

If rocks are up, Magby can come in safely on HP Fire and Solar Beam. Those attacks will put Magby at 50% or lower, so it can heal back to full with Berry Juice, survive Ancient Power the next turn, and KO Tangela with Flamethrower. It can't come it on Ancient Power, and if it comes in on Sleep Powder, it'll (usually) be KO'd by Ancient Power the next turn.

If there are no rocks, it can come in safely on anything except HP Fire for the reasons you stated. For the most part, this set works pretty well against Tangela, nice job!

Turn 1
X Pokemon Switches out
Torchic switches in!
Torchic gets slapped by Tangela's attack!
Torchic's speed is raised by 1!
Wait a tic! This may be a dumb question and is probably based on my own ignorance, but does speed boost activate on the switch this gen? (gotta start using yanma more...) I seem to recall it didnt last generation but I may be 100% wrong and even if I'm right it may very well have changed this generation.

Oh god, you're right. It doesn't, it needs a full turn.

Battle between phodrag and Sergetank started!
phodrag sent out Darkrai!
Go! Torterra!
Turn 1
Torterra, come back!
Go! Blaziken!
The opposing Darkrai used Trick!
But it failed!
Turn 2
Sergetank: oh
Sergetank: well shit

There goes The Red Baron. I could try and say, if you come in on Sleep Powder it's done, or if you double protect, but then it's not so much a check as a really risky gamble.

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
This is hard. I tried taking away the weather, special sponges, dragons, and nada. Here's a list of pokemon that I tried to slam against this grass knot and none of them could kill it without dying.
Porygon w/ Trace
Spoink / Thick Fat
Lickitung w/ Cloud Nine
Hoppip w/ Chlorophyll
Bronzor w/ Heatproof

When I got to Bronzor, I had the same problem as Briyella had; Sleep powder shut it down. And as I reread the thread, Corkscrew's Vullaby reminded me, isn't there an item that blocks powder moves? And there is. Safety Goggles.

No pokemon's gonna wall Tangela, it's coverage is unresisted until we get a fighting/dragon in LC. And no pokemon is going to outspeed-

Speed.
Speed. Boost.

And then I had my answer. It flies in the face of reason, risky as hell, but it's doable. Meet. . .

The Red Baron

Torchic
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 236 HP / 196 SpDef / 76 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Overheat / Flamethrower
- Substitute / Will-O-Wisp
- Baton Pass

Oh man, mono-fire Torchic. Well, here's my reasoning. With Safety Goggles, Torchic can come in on literally any attack. Sleep Powder fails instantly, that's the second biggest problem gone. But I did calculations, listed just below this.

200+ SpA Life Orb Tangela Solar Beam vs. 236 HP / 196 SpD Torchic: 12-14 (50 - 58.3%)
200+ SpA Life Orb Tangela Hidden Power Fire vs. 236 HP / 196 SpD Torchic in Sun: 6-8 (25 - 33.3%)
200+ SpA Life Orb Tangela Ancient Power vs. 236 HP / 196 SpD Torchic: 16-21 (66.6 - 87.5%)

It survives all of it's attacks at least once. So, Torchic can switch in, even on Ancient power ( unless it crits on the switch then bye bye birdy ). This is where the madness pays off. Since it switches in, it'll get +1 to it's speed. Hopefully your Tangela player is greedy and stays in, because with Ancient Power ( especially if it hit it with Ancient Power on the switch ), they have a chance of smashing this chick. It might look like to them, the odds are in their favour.

So the order of events looks like so at this time;

Turn 1
X Pokemon Switches out
Torchic switches in!
Torchic gets slapped by Tangela's attack!

Turn 2
This is where we are.

Okay so, Tangela doesn't switch out. Or if it does then standard baton pass shit goes down cool let's move on. This turn is easy: use protect. Everyone knows what protect does, Torchic comes out of turn 2 with another speed boost and Tangela can lose a PP. It's great.

Turn 2
Torchic used Protect!
Tangela's nasty bitch weave misses!

Turn 3
This is where we are now.

So turn three. Depending on heat rock or not, this would be turn 4 of sun, and sun might be over soon. It's grand. But it's still up! Now, with +2 speed, Torchic outspeeds Tangela now. Tangela's speed without investment is 12; with Chlorophyll and Sun it's 24 ( is that how that works it seems like it would be ). But! Torchic with a speed nature and one point in speed hits 13; after two speed boosts it's at 26. At this point, since you are faster than the bush, light that shit. Here are some calculations:

0 SpA Torchic Overheat vs. 0 HP / 200 SpD Tangela in Sun: 44-54 (191.3 - 234.7%)
0 SpA Torchic Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 200 SpD Tangela in Sun: 32-38 (139.1 - 165.2%)

It's gone, amigos. Without sun, more calcs incoming.

0 SpA Torchic Overheat vs. 0 HP / 200 SpD Tangela: 30-36 (130.4 - 156.5%)
0 SpA Torchic Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 200 SpD Tangela: 20-26 (86.9 - 113%)

Tangela's dead. It has two shots at killing you, and that's by critical hitting Ancient Power on the switch, and if you miss overheat. Typical Power over Accuracy debate here. I did have Heat Wave on earlier, but Heat Wave does the same damage as Flamethrower without the sun, so it's useless.

If Tangela hits you with Sleep Powder, HP Fire, or Solar Beam, you can come out of this with around 40-50% hp or even full health, enough to survive some priority attacks ( except Choice Band Huge Power Adamant Max Attack Bunnelby's Quick Attack, and any aqua jets, and Fletchling's Acrobatics ). If you have enough HP, could put up a substitute and baton pass away. If not, just baton pass. If you use overheat, probably want to bpass to something that doesn't care about a -2 to special attack. I originally considered HP Ground to make it not useless against fire types but, then Torchic ain't surviving Ancient Power on the switch. HP Water and Grass ( for Chinchou mostly ) could both be used, since they dont reduce HP or SpDef, but they do reduce SpAtk, which is already shaky being so low and uninvested. Probably only want to use those to kill -really- weak things that don't have priority. So Mono-Fire isnt the worst thing, and in LC Fire goes a long way. Will-O-Wisp is nice to fuck over some Sucker Punch user, or a physical attacker before it smashes Torchic, but BPassing Subs is always amazing.

Also I only started seriously working on this because imagine a torchic wearing goggles and dive bombing some shit, it's adorable.
Speed Boost doesn't activate on the turn you switch in.

Oh god, you're right. It doesn't, it needs a full turn.

Battle between phodrag and Sergetank started!
phodrag sent out Darkrai!
Go! Torterra!
Turn 1
Torterra, come back!
Go! Blaziken!
The opposing Darkrai used Trick!
But it failed!
Turn 2
Sergetank: oh
Sergetank: well shit

There goes The Red Baron.
Man that sucks... that set actually looked really cool.

Well, you already put in the work of making it, so I'd personally leave it up. Is it possible to manipulate the EV's so it's fast enough to outspeed Tanglea after one boost? (and would that sacrifice too much bulk?)

EDIT: Nevermind, Tangela with 200 EV's hits 30 speed with Chlorophyll, which Torchic can only speed tie with if it's positive natured and fully invested, AND at +2

Last edited:
With 236 Spe EVs, +1 Speed, and a Speed+ Nature Torchic hits... 22.5 speed after one boost. Which is either 23 or 22, which just barely misses Tangela's 24 with Chlorophyll. Eviolite makes it possible to take the same hits with 236 HP / 32 SpDef, but loses out on Sleep Powder Immunity. Damn it Tangela.

Edit : Wait if that's 200 SPeeD and not 200 SPecial Defense then this torchic ain't flying at all qq.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
just saying basically every number in pokemon rounds down for your guys' reference

Lickitung @ Eviolite
Trait: Cloud Nine
EVs: 196 Hp / 236 SDef / 76 SAtk
Sassy Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Ice beam Fire Blast
- Heal Bell

With Lickitung's ability, it blocks sun meaning solar beam has to charge. Lickitung can come into a sleep powder, have a 2/3 chance selecting a move other than rest. Heal bell wakes me up and Ice beam is a clean 2hko. Example. Turn 1 Tangela uses Sleep Powder as Licki switches in. To actually damage tangela /needs/ to use solar beam. It charges as i sleep talk and select a random move. I get hit by a solar beam and take up to 60%. I then heal up with rest, while he charges. Or hit him with Fire Blast of course, which would OHKO after a round of LO recoil or Rocks.

76 SpA Lickitung Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tangela: 18-22 (78.2 - 95.6%)
76 SpA Lickitung Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tangela: 22-26 (95.6 - 113%)

200+ SpA Life Orb Tangela Solar Beam vs. 196 HP / 236+ SpD Eviolite Lickitung: 13-17 (46.4 - 60.7%)
200+ SpA Life Orb Tangela Ancient Power vs. 196 HP / 236+ SpD Eviolite Lickitung: 5-6 (17.8 - 21.4%)

Also probably my favorite set was the Goomy one...

EDIT: Licki learns Fire Blast :O

Last edited:
Rookie mistake: in a counter that Pokemon / Victim of the week ALWAYS use +Speed. This one was too simple..sorry.

Tangela @ Occa Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 200 SAtk / 40 SpD / 200 Spd
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder (/Growth, w.e)
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ancient Power
- Solar Beam

Yea. Switch in on any attack outspeed and OHKO back along with the rest of the opponents team. You can Growth on opposing Tangela if he uses something shitty like Sleep Powder on the switch but it's generally not needed.

Last edited:
Cottonee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 Spd / 224 SAtk / 36 HP
Modest Nature
- Encore
- Stun Spore
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Solar Beam

This is assuming there are no hazards up. If Stealth Rock is up, Cottonne loses. But, if there are no hazards up, Cottonee can force a stalemate at the very worst, and actually wins the majority of the time! If you switch in on Sleep Powder, Encore it and go to town, you win without taking any damage. If you switch in on Solar Beam, HP Fire, or Ancient Power, Tangela will take 2 HP of LO recoil. Which leaves it with 21 HP. The average damage roll of cotonee in sun will finish it off at that point. The minimum amount you will do is 20 damage. So even if you do min damage, Tangela will take LO recoil to finish you off, and die in the process.

But seriously Vullaby and Goomy are way better, but this technically kills Tangela 100% of the time :)

What about a Drowzee?

Drowzee @ Eviolite
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 176 SAtk / 196 SDef / 136 Def (22/11/12/14/18/8)
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 2 Spd
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Trick Room

You can open up with Trick Room and on the next turn, one hit KO tangela after stealth rocks with HP Fire (22-26 damage). This could work on trick room teams and on the last turn of trick room, you can use thunder wave to cripple a poke and outspeed it after trick room wears off. Drowzee is pretty tanky on the special side so he can take a hit from tangela.

Solarbeam vs Drowzee = 11-13 damage
I'm pretty sure Drowzee can always kill tangela after stealth rocks by using Trick Room, and he has a high chance of killing it without stealth rocks too.

EDIT: woops then, ignore this set

Last edited:

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
What about a Drowzee?

Drowzee @ Eviolite
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 176 SAtk / 196 SDef / 136 Def (22/11/12/14/18/8)
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 2 Spd
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Trick Room

You can open up with Trick Room and on the next turn, one hit KO tangela after stealth rocks with HP Fire (22-26 damage). This could work on trick room teams and on the last turn of trick room, you can use thunder wave to cripple a poke and outspeed it after trick room wears off. Drowzee is pretty tanky on the special side so he can take a hit from tangela.

Solarbeam vs Drowzee = 11-13 damage
I'm pretty sure Drowzee can always kill tangela after stealth rocks by using Trick Room, and he has a high chance of killing it without stealth rocks too.

I tried this a few days ago and it didn't work. Also, Solarbeam is a 2HKO on Drowzee with your given spread, so it can't switch in.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
^ It can't switch in though: SolarBeam 2HKOs it even without rocks. Try Berry Juice, maybe?

(Briyella beat me to it e.e)

Got permission from Electrolyte to do this since Torchic failed at it's job so here goes gimmick counter round 2.

Nein Sonne

Psyduck @ Safety Goggles
Trait: Cloud Nine
EVs: 36 HP / 236 SpAtk / 236 Speed
Timid Nature ( +Speed, -Attack
- Surf / Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam / Blizzard
- Substitute / HP Fire/Grass/Electric
- Disable

Stats after EVs + Nature:
22 HP
9 Atk
11 Def
16 SpAtk
11 SpDef
16 Speed

With max EVs and a +Speed nature, Psyduck hits 16 Speed. Since it's ability takes away sunlight, our Tangela hits only 15 speed with a modest nature. Psyduck can switch into any move; Safety Goggles stops Sleep Powder / Spore, it's typing and removal of the sun makes HP Fire useless, removing the sun forces Solarbeam to charge and giving Psyduck a free switch in. Ancient Power can 2HKO it at best, 3HKO at worst.

Solarbeam will do 300% or more damage to Psyduck if it hits, that is the obvious problem here. If Ancient Power'd on the switch, Tangela can use it again to KO ( possibly ). Except Psyduck can hit it before it can react.

This is where Psyduck's speed and moveset come in. Since it's fast, whatever move that gets used previously can be disabled. Especially solarbeam.

Turn 2
Espurr, come back!
Go! Psyduck!
The effects of weather disappeared. (placeholder)
The opposing Tangela used SolarBeam!
The opposing Tangela absorbed light!
Turn 3
Psyduck used Disable!
The opposing Tangela's Solar Beam was disabled!
The opposing Tangela can't use SolarBeam!

Whatever move Tangela uses, upon switching in, you can disable it if needed. If AP, Tangela -must- use Solar Beam to inflict any kind of damage. Vice versa with using Solarbeam on the switch, HP Fire simply isn't an option at this point.

Now, Tangela has 23 Hit Points. With each attack, it will shave off 1-2 points of HP due to life orb. Psyduck's Ice Beam does, at minimum, 22 damage. And if it's not using HP Grass, it's damage is:

236 SpA Psyduck Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tangela: 22-28 (95.6 - 121.7%)
(22, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 28)

If you switch in on Sleep Powder / Solar Beam, Psyduck comes in freely, has a 15/16 chance to OHKO Tangela without taking any damage. HP Fire will leave it with more than 70% HP. Ancient Power has a 70% chance to 2HKO, but disable changes that, and leaves Tangela open for a OHKO from ice beam.

This is a worthy counter because:
It can switch in with hazards on the field
It can handle more than one pokemon ( other weather abusers in particular )
It's unique and has surprise factor while not being completely dead weight

The main thing is disable. Disable will rid the opponent of their strongest option usually, and force them to use a weaker one while you strike hard with whatever move you need.

Calculations
Tangela
200+ SpA Life Orb Tangela Solar Beam vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Psyduck: 62-73 (281.8 - 331.8%)
(62, 62, 62, 62, 62, 65, 65, 65, 65, 65, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 73)

200+ SpA Life Orb Tangela Hidden Power Fire vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Psyduck: 5-6 (22.7 - 27.2%)
(5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 6)

200+ SpA Life Orb Tangela Ancient Power vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Psyduck: 10-13 (45.4 - 59%)
(10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 13)

Psyduck
236 SpA Psyduck Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tangela: 22-28 (95.6 - 121.7%)
(22, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 28)

Note: It's not a perfect counter; if Tangela is timid, they speed tie without weather, and has a 70% chance to KO Psyduck before it can react using Ancient Power, as well as the chance of speed tie winning Solarbeam and blasting our duck into oblivion. However, even timid Tangela simply cannot win if it uses HP Fire or Sleep Powder upon switch in, as our duck has enough power to kill it. Substitute can be used if it switches out, leaving Psyduck safely behind a sub. Calm Mind is there for no reason I made this fast. HP Grass is for water types if you try to stop Rain Teams as well. Loses to Abomasnow though, unless you carry HP Fire maybe.

Some calcs against some weather abusers
Weather abuser speed tiers and damage
Edit: It seems like if the weather abuser is using Eviolite, Psyduck can't OHKO many of the pokemon. Disabling their strongest move will ease with dispatching them. For Chlorophyll, Giga Drain will OHKO Psyduck so be wary of that as well.
Chlorophyll users
Bellsprout
Max Speed: 14
236 SpA Psyduck Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 36 SpD Bellsprout: 22-26 (104.7 - 123.8%)

Cherubi
236 SpA Psyduck Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cherubi: 20-24 (95.2 - 114.2%)

Deerling: (beats Psyduck, dont try to beat Deerling with Psyduck)
Max Speed: 18
236 SpA Psyduck Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Deerling: 20-24 (90.9 - 109%)
0 Atk Deerling Seed Bomb vs. 36 HP / 0 Def Psyduck: 18-24 (81.8 - 109%)

Exeggcute: (Psyduck loses to eviolite carrying, can beat other variants)
236 SpA Psyduck Ice Beam vs. 36 HP / 0 SpD Exeggcute: 20-24 (86.9 - 104.3%)

Hoppip:
Max Speed: 15
236 SpA Psyduck Ice Beam vs. 236 HP / 0 SpD Hoppip: 36-44 (156.5 - 191.3%)

Oddish: (Eviolite wins, non lose)
Max Speed: 13
236 SpA Psyduck Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Oddish: 16-20 (84.2 - 105.2%)

Petilil:
Max Speed: 13
236 SpA Psyduck Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 36 SpD Petilil: 18-22 (85.7 - 104.7%)

Sewaddle: (cannot OHKO, will be difficult to 2HKO after a Calm Mind but Sewaddle will win most likely)
236 SpA Psyduck Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 116 SpD Sewaddle: 16-20 (76.1 - 95.2%)

Was gonna do Swift Swim and Sand Rush but got tired / lazy / just want to battle so list done!

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Awesome, there were a lot of cool submissions this week! Let's get this vote rolling then! :)

Here are the submissions (link provided for each):

Corkscrew's Vullaby
Shouting's Koffing
Expulso's Magby
Sparktrain's BASED GOOMY
leingodf8's Ekans
kingmidas's Timburr
Ssin's Croagunk
BadPandaCham's Hippopotas
Unitard's Munchlax
Nozzle's Dratini
Prem's Yanma
Mylo Xyloto's Lickitung
Heysup's badass Tangela
Raseri's Cottonee
Sergetank's Psyduck

There were many, many clever submissions this week. Feel free to discuss which entries are your favorite for VIABLE and COMPETITIVE reasons. I will close the vote in a few days.

Good luck, everybody! :)

Sparktrain's Goomy is, imo, really the only 100% counter to Tangela that performs other roles as well. I really like Sergetank's Psyduck, but the issue i have with it is that it can't switch in multiple times/when it's knocked off it gets totally wrecked by sleep powder

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Corkscrew's vullaby seems like the counter that is most useful outside of just tangela, while also pretty much always winning (rocks with ancient power hurts). Its good bulk, reliable recovery, and overall utility make it the best choice imo.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Corkscrew's Vullaby narrowly gets my vote. It can take on the myriad of fighting types in the meta, reliably defeat Tangela, and take nothing from hail or sand. The only problem with Tangela is if you switch into an AncientPower (unlikely, as they really like to SolarBeam) or fail to OHKO with Air Slash, you'll come out with about 10% health. If you switch into an attack but fail to OHKO, you'll have to spam Roost to get back near full health, which can let them switch. However, it is still fairly solid, and it HURTS the oh-so-common Fighting-types of the tier.

In my opinion, Goomy is an excellent specialized counter; however, with the rise of fairies, Goomy has less potential in the current metagame.

I also considered Mylo Xyloto's Lickitung and Sergetank's Psyduck. Lickitung has an unfortunate weakness to Fighting-type attacks, and I did not choose Psyduck for the reasons Chieliee said, as well as it being unable to use another item, like Eviolite or Berry Juice.

I really like Sergetank's Psyduck, but the issue i have with it is that it can't switch in multiple times/when it's knocked off it gets totally wrecked by sleep powder

Last edited:
Sparktrain's Goomy is probably the best Tangela counter, so voting for it. Corkscrew's Vullaby is probably the most viable though.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Corkscrew's vullaby gets my vote as the specially defensive spread in conjunction with overcoat means it is comfortable switching in and threatening tangela immediately. I will say I think goomy is also viable, but I feel like vullaby does a lot more in this meta than goomy, who really struggles against teams that lack tangelo and has little other usefulness outside of baiting fairies and using sludge bomb as they switch in.

"heysup's badass tangela" hehhehehehehe

I'm not currently sure where to put my vote atm. Goomy is really really underwhelming and outside of handling Tangela it's practically useless (and tbh it just walls it and doesn't threaten anything), but it is the best Tangela counter. Vullaby is a good Pokemon, but as far as I'm concerned it's a pretty unreliable counter since Ancient Power and Stealth Rock exist, and since the primary goal (but not the only one) should be to counter Tangela, I can't give it my vote either. I'll look at others soon.

Edit: Sergetank, Snow Warning is unreleased on Amaura as far as I know.

Last edited:
I kinda wish I could have seen what Prem meant by Amaura countering it, probably something to do with Snow Warning, seems like it could've been cool. It's kinda difficult but I like Corkscrew's Vullaby because it's ability lets it shrug off Sleep Powder ( which is the biggest thing for most counters ), resists it's strongest stab, and it can drop Tangela like a bad beat while still harassing the enemy team with knock off and supporting it's own with defog. Sparktrain's Goomy walls Tangela amazingly, but might have issues with other duties.

So there is my vote in bold ok cool.

I'm basing my vote on two criteria: how well the set counters the victim of the week, and how viable the set is in the metagame. I found this quote from the OP to be helpful:

"The difference between check and counter is that oftentimes, prediction is needed and checks are not 100% secure answers to the set in question but can still work most of the time."

By this definition, many entries are simply checks. For example, Corkscrew's Vullaby and Expulso's Magby work most of the time against the Victim of the Week, but struggle if hazards are up, if certain moves are used, etc. The entry that seemed to best fit the definition of a counter was Sergetank's Psyduck, since it can come in on any of the Victim's moves (even with hazards) and KO with Ice Beam (or disable first, if it's Solar Beam).

My decision was between Corkscrew's Vullaby and Sergetank's Psyduck, since I felt they fulfilled both of the two criteria I listed better than any other entries. I ultimately opted for Sergetank's Psyduck because it is a counter, rather than a strong check. Both are viable, since one is a reliable, bulky Defog/Knock Off user, and the other is a great answer to common weather abusers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)