XY OU XY OU Team Singles, no Legendaries.

okay, the legendary argument is kinda dumb but thats neither here nor there so with what you have to work with...

1. dont use brick break. hjk instead.
2. you can either use sub sitrus hawlucha or power herb sky attack. im personally a fan of the latter but w/e.
3. get rid of specs ninja, use life orb, swap grass knot with hp fire to screw ferrothorn, scald is weak as hell, use hydro pump, dark pulse literally hits nothing except latis which ice beam hits anyways, use extrasensory so keldeo doesnt murder your ass
4. okay gliscor isnt going to kill any faries before they kill it so just use gliscor as a pure physically defensive or sp def variant or as the guy from before posted, use ferrothorn, which is even more annoying
5. sylveon is fine, maybe ev tuning a bit, w/e
6. never ever ever ever use dark moves and ghost moves on the same mon ever ever ever, give it trick and energy ball
7. if you're REALLY set on using mega blastoise, fine w/e, but that thing is really lacking any offensive presence whatsoever since you only have 2 attacking moves

now that i look at it, you really should have some different method of phazing, maybe replace gliscor with skarmory and give it whirlwind and give blastoise another attack

I agree with most of what you said, but I do have to point out that you're underestimating hawlucha. Sure, other pokemon are easier to set up, but hawl is terrifying once it's at +2 atk and +2 speed after a SD and unburden boost. Sure, it's not always easy to get hawl to that point, but once you do, there is very little that can stop it at this point except birdspam. But as for mega venusaur that you mentioned, hawlucha steamrolls it easily at +2 after a swords dance, and barring sleep powder, there's nothing venusaur can do to stop it's inevitable death. Then, after venusaur is gone, you'd have to deal with that +2 atk +2 speed hawl i mentioned, which is crazy hard to stop. Hawlucha is a pokemon that many people underestimate, and I've personally made them pay the price for it on many occasions, (just watch the videos i included in my first post in this thread) so you could even say that some of it's strength lies in surprising people who underestimate it. IMO, the only thing that's holding hawlucha back from being OU is talonflame/mega pinsir. Without priority birdspam to worry about, hawlucha threatens an enormous part of the metagame, easily mowing through many rock, steel, dark, grass, bug, and fighting pokemon with it's amazing STAB combo.

With all that said, though, the set that KidRodent originally posted definitely isn't the best set for hawl, as I also pointed out in my first post.

EDIT: This match I just had is another really good example of how crazy dangerous hawlucha is: by utilizing a volt-turn strategy at the start of the match, then bringing in hawl to clean, hawl is able to roll through a clefable, a thundurus, and a keldeo without even needing a swords dance; and hawl could have potentially beaten the rest of my opponent's team if they hadn't forfeited at that point. At the very least, though, hawl easily sealed that game, acting as a remarkably effective win condition.

Check it out:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-155998555

EDIT (Again lol): Here's yet another hawl victory, where my opponent even admits he lost by underestimating hawl, just had to share it:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-156015270
Maybe I did underestimate hawlucha. If running hawlucha though, I would switch blastoise for rotom-w and use another spinner/defogger, because you need something to check birdspam if your'e using hawlucha in ou and rotom does a great job at that with good typing and will-o-wisp.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Swords Dance
- Leech Seed
I recommend replacing Gliscor with Ferrothorn. It fulfills the role of a wall with no weakness to ice and a handful amount of resistances. It 2HKOs many fairies (see calc below) even before a Sword Dance. And it walls electric types with it's Grass typing. Gyro Ball and Power Whip are your main attack, Swords Dance is to boost your attack, and Leech Seed is to recover back HP.

Greninja @ Choice Specs Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Dark Pulse Extrasensory
- Scald Hydro Pump
First off, I recommend using Extrasensory instead of Dark Pulse because Dark Pulse doesn't provide as much coverage as Extrasensory, Dark Pulse can hit Gengar and that's it. Extrasensory on the other hand is to heavily damage Venusaur-Mega and Keldeo. I recommend Hydro Pump instead of Scald, although Scald has that nice burn chance and has 100% accuracy, Hydro Pump hits stronger and harder. Finally Life Orb instead of Choice Specs because Greninja already has enough power to OHKO many things with Life Orb.

Hawlucha @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 104 Hp / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brick Break High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- U-Turn Substitute
For Hawlucha, I suggest replacing Brick Break with High Jump Kick. Sure HJK has a 10% chance to miss and recoil, but it has 55 more base power which Hawlucha definitely needs because it's mediocre 92 base attack stat. Also why are you running U-turn, your Hawlucha will lose it's Unburden boost when it switches out. For that, I suggest replacing it with Substitute for setting up Swords Dances more reliably.

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire/Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Dark Pulse Energy Ball
- Psychic HP Ground/Trick
There's really no point on running Dark Pulse on Chandelure as it provides the same coverage as Shadow Ball, which is why I suggest replacing it with Energy Ball, it allows you to hit bulky Water types on switch ins. Also Psychic is not really a viable moves unless you really want to destroy Venusaur-Mega, I recommend HP Ground for hitting Heatran, however you can also use Trick to cripple walls.
First thing I'd like to say is don't use swords dance ferrothorn.. your ferrothorn set should look like this

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Impish / Relaxed Nature
-Power Whip
-Stealth Rock / Spikes
-Protect / Thunder Wave / Gyro Ball / Knock Off
-Leech Seed

it's the standard set but it's by far the most effective of the sets Ferro can attempt to run.

Second thing is that I recommend replacing u-turn with hidden power [fire] on greninja. Greninja misses the extra coverage and ability to beat ferro/magnezone too much to not run it.

Hawlucha set looks questionable-- personally, I'd like to see you run a Power Herb + Sky Attack set:

Hawlucha @ Power Herb
Ability: Unburden
8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Sky Attack
-Acrobatics
-Swords Dance
-High Jump Kick

This set has insane power--Sky Attack hits like a truck (especially at +2) and enables you to sweep after your power herb activates, at which point acrobatics hits like a.. more consistent truck. unfortunately, this set doesnt allow hawlucha to run coverage moves, but neither does the one you're currently using, so I'd recommend removing zapdos etc from the game before attempting to sweep.

Good luck with the team and welcome to smogon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)