Alolan Form
here's what I have so far on my Mega Salamence
upload_2014-10-3_10-0-29.png
feedback is appreciated
Please note that this is just a rought draft

Last edited:

Ridaz

Don't @ me
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus
here's what I have so far on my Mega Salamence View attachment 27463 feedback is appreciated
The wings are not pointy and long enough. It actually reaches its head. It's also showing too much of the tail.
The neck is also too long and thick
Why is it flying downwards and not facing the foe?

Here's a reference:

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
The wings are not pointy and long enough. It actually reaches its head. It's also showing too much of the tail.
The neck is also too long and thick
Why is it flying downwards and not facing the foe?

Here's a reference:
Thanks for that small info. I'll add the shortened tail and longer wings later. It doesn't need to face the for as long as the sprite looks good. Take a look at meloetta some keldeo, mandibuzz and mawile. Similar ones we have that are like this are My Mega Sceptile, the Mega Mawile and PoM's Pikachu Belle.
Edit: I honestly think that unless we make this pokemon fill up the entire canvas or use a bigger canvas making it more dynamic, there is no way to make this guy fit.

Last edited:

Ridaz

Don't @ me
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus

But they are facing the foe. If you mean this,
only it's head is not facing the foe but the rest of the body is.

Mandibuzz's eyes are staring at the foe. The body's just sideway

Same with Mawile. In fact, it's back is facing the foe, so it can also count. Mawile attacks using it's jaw. So it makes sense. Mega Spectile does the same, since it uses it's Tail cannon / thing to attack. On your sprite, nothing on the body is facing the foe.

Now, look at Salamence. Its entire body is facing the foe. Is a dramatic angle change really necessary due to its wings?

But that's my opinion

Last edited:
here's what I have so far on my Mega Salamence View attachment 27463 feedback is appreciated
It's a decent sprite; here's my feedback.

I think that instead of the body in the diving position shown, you could have it in an ascending position, so the front sprite shows the body rising up.
The angle shouldn't be too large however, or else there are some size constraints. However, I think it would be a cool idea. Also, if you're worried about the head, just have the neck at more of a downward angle. (I guess?)

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TSplash I think you are spreading your focus too thin.

You have wanted to do multiple sprites, but in the end most I am either redoing or heavily going to QC. You have a lack of finishing backs as well, which is really going to bite me in the butt later. Sala is also going to be one of our toughest right now and it's something I'd prefer done with utmost care. If it comes to the end of the month and I don't see anything near what I'd like I'll be handling it myself.

I get the angle issues, but there are ways of making it all work.

ALSO might as well post this

Mine are on the left, we can have new shiny colours if we want I just picked out the old ones. Reasons for my changes will be apparent if you make axl's version shiny.

Last edited:

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
TSplash I think you are spreading your focus too thin.

You have wanted to do multiple sprites, but in the end most I am either redoing or heavily going to QC. You have a lack of finishing backs as well, which is really going to bite me in the butt later. Sala is also going to be one of our toughest right now and it's something I'd prefer done with utmost care. If it comes to the end of the month and I don't see anything near what I'd like I'll be handling it myself.

I get the angle issues, but there are ways of making it all work.

ALSO might as well post this

Mine are on the left, we can have new shiny colours if we want I just picked out the old ones. Reasons for my changes will be apparent if you make axl's version shiny.
Yeah I kinda love to do work on art but end up not doing it, I more or less set them as goals. It helps me focused on what needs to get done. And yes I do lack making back sprites I find them harder to do and I try to hold off on them until the games are out which is why my updates on megapedo is slow ( I have stored on my computer if you want to see those jut message me). As said before Greninja and Pikachu Popstar are for later edits if I have time. My main objective is salamence and sharpedo. If you need to take matters into your own hands please do so, it's best to make edits good as possible compared to I unfinished ones. But I don't you to work on too many sprites (that's what this project is for right? Get multiple people to help?) I think what we should do is probably finish the last of the ORAS sprites and then start going back to the older ones (which we are doing currently). It seems as though Game Freak is really pushing out these designs as they could before in BW, like how SEGA made Chaos for Sonic Adventure, which is obviously causing us trouble with guys like Mega Ray.

Update

I've resized the wingless body to a width of 74 pixels and cleaned it a bit, while adding some other proportional fixes. I've tried giving it spread wings and even when scaled correctly, they're about 190 pixels wide. That'll obviously be for use in the animated version, of course. Definitely gonna sprite the wing in a flapped position, since there's absolutely no way it's gonna fit in a 96x96 canvas without the wing flapped. I can't say this enough, but fuck the 96x96 canvas; 111x111 gives a lot more space to sprite and immensely helps with Pokémon such as Mega Salamence. In fact, I'm probably gonna try to go for a 96x96 and a 111x111 version.

EDIT:

Yes, the winged version is massive. I've warned you.

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As it stands right now I am also not going to accept any current Mega Salamence being created. There are a number of tough reasons this one is going to be hard, to begin we know the wingspan is a pain. But 96 x 96 is a technical requirement we have, not an artistic. Needs to be that way for teambuilder, not sure about in battle but I'm really not willing to change on this regardless. Anyone who makes a head for Mega Salamence that is noticeably different in size compared to the regular Salamence, will probably also not get it either. This is what makes this giant wingspan different than Talonflame or Noivern, it's a mega.

As it stands now my most likely option will be to draw my own pose and then sprite it myself, if not I'll take whatever Kyuzeth makes and resprite it entirely. First however I'm making a Sharpedo back likely this Monday.

Last edited:
As it stands right now I am also not going to accept any current Mega Salamence being created. There are a number of tough reasons this one is going to be hard, to begin we know the wingspan is a pain. But 96 x 96 is a technical requirement we have, not an artistic. Needs to be that way for teambuilder, not sure about in battle but I'm really not willing to change on this regardless. Anyone who makes a head for Mega Salamence that is noticeably different in size compared to the regular Salamence, will probably also not get it either. This is what makes this giant wingspan different than Talonflame or Noivern, it's a mega.

As it stands now my most likely option will be to draw my own pose and then sprite it myself, if not I'll take whatever Kyuzeth makes and resprite it entirely. First however I'm making a Sharpedo back likely this Monday.
I can still post what I have of the winged Mega Salamence. It's enormous in wingspan, but I can post it just to give you an image. Anyway, I'm perfectly fine with your decision.

i was able to make a mega rayquaza sprite using the existing rayquaza sprite
384-mega.png

i haven't got the antenas right, but otherwise it seems like I've done a good job

i'm sorry but i cant make a back sprite

Just an opinion, I think in the Delphox sprite, it should be holding its stick/wand thing.

i was able to make a mega rayquaza sprite using the existing rayquaza sprite
View attachment 27595
i haven't got the antenas right, but otherwise it seems like I've done a good job

i'm sorry but i cant make a back sprite
That actually looks really good! The fin spike things could use a little work though.

im not that good at spriting
it took me almost 3 days just to make one sprite
thats why im going to have to ask some one else to make the back sprite for this

Perhaps there's a more realistic solution to solving Mega Salamence's width issues:

If we make Mega Salamence's base idle animation one that's on the ground, his wingspan does not have to be out completely, nor does it have to bend unnaturally. Instead, for a rare animation, Mega Salamence's wingspan can expand as he tucks away his front two feet. A rare animation does not have to fit the 96x96 canvas, so there's no real drawback to doing it this way. We could also keep Mega Salamence's base idle animation shorter than usual, as a way to make sure his rare animation and base idle animation are nearly equal in length.

Last edited:

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
ooooh boy, playing too much smash brothers havn't stayed up to date since friday.

UPDATE just changed the yellow orbs on Mega Rayquaza into red
View attachment 27601
Although good, it doesn't look very detailed at all compared to what it is. As for now I assume we are going with WPS' sprite although a rough draft it has the things we need in order for it to used, I can't really explain it. Yours honestly looks like a painted over the original rayquaza, which is sometimes good to do for megas, however Mega Ray as so much more detail than the original that we should really try to make a new sprite.

Perhaps there's a more realistic solution to solving Mega Salamence's width issues:

If we make Mega Salamence's base idle animation one that's on the ground, his wingspan does not have to be out completely, nor does it have to bend unnaturally. Instead, for a rare animation, Mega Salamence's wingspan can expand as he tucks away his front two feet. A rare animation does not have to fit the 96x96 canvas, so there's no real drawback to doing it this way. We could also keep Mega Salamence's base idle animation shorter than usual, as a way to make sure his rare animation and base idle animation are nearly equal in length.
This idea is really nice, I think it could work well. but the wing spand on the final is way too big IMO. we should shrink it down just a little bit.

Here's an update to my previously mentioned idea:

Since there's no real feasible way to sprite Mega Salamence in a 96x96 canvas without being disproportionate or unfitting with the other Pokemon sprites, there's no reason to try and scale his body down. I've taken Kyuzeth's original Mega Salamence sprite and incorporated the wing fittingly. The base idle still fits the 96x96 canvas, but Salamence himself is more appropriately bulky. That foot increase in height had to go somewhere, after all.

Apart from just using Kyuzeth's original sprite, Salamence's feet are custom sprited, and not just edited from the regular Salamence sprite.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Here's an update to my previously mentioned idea:

Since there's no real feasible way to sprite Mega Salamence in a 96x96 canvas without being disproportionate or unfitting with the other Pokemon sprites, there's no reason to try and scale his body down. I've taken Kyuzeth's original Mega Salamence sprite and incorporated the wing fittingly. The base idle still fits the 96x96 canvas, but Salamence himself is more appropriately bulky. That foot increase in height had to go somewhere, after all.

Apart from just using Kyuzeth's original sprite, Salamence's feet are custom sprited, and not just edited from the regular Salamence sprite.
Yeah this could work if we try.

As for other projects, since Layell is pretty much taking the sprites I wanted to do mostly sharpedo and I think he said he was making a Greninja, I will try to update Pikachu pop star over the week which I keep pulling off. It's about time I need to get started on it. My next updates after that will mostly revolve around groudon I guess, the backsprite needs to be updated no matter how long we need wait for the game to come out.

I think we really need to start updating Mega Sceptile too, I'll start with him around the the time of groudon.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!

An update and a first draft back

Back scar could use some serious work, may need more refs really. The back is a tilted then heavily modified regular back. I might not have time for spriting outside of this for these days off so here we go.

In terms of greninja we are not longer really considering a change, but I cannot stop anyone from trying, doesn't mean I am obligated to accept.

@anirudhbala98 hate to say this but I'm going with whatever WPS does, copy pasting exact parts and flipping isn't exactly the skill level we are working at here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)