Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
New Pancham, I made it pose differently now

Lemme know what you guys think

EDIT: Made a backsprite as well, but I think I need help with it...

Hey siilver you forgot to give pandcham his mini cape. Also think you should maybe make his right hand slightly visible on the back sprite since hes on an angle. Finally you shouls add some shading. Having no shading makes it look kind of weird. But these are fairly easy fixes. Other than that, nice!

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Random to be coming out of the blue like this, but is my Mega Manectric sprite worthy or not? It's been quite a while and I haven't gotten much feedback or thought about it. I tweaked and revised it a little, and the reason I've gone this long without doing a backsprite is mostly because I didn't really get much of a clear consensus on whether it was acceptable or not. That and I guess most of the fault lays with me for kind of just letting this whole thing fall by the wayside. Either way, HERE is my sprite, made some minor edits to it, which I'll contrast with the old one side-by-side. Can someone just tell me if it's "good enough" to start doing the back, or if I still need to wait? :\

Left: New
Right: Old

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

CoolStoryBrobat, it's definitely too big. Other than that, a job well done. You may also want to consider making the outlines a bit neater and less jagged, but with all of those angles it seems mostly unavoidable anyways.

CoolStoryBrobat

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

CoolStoryBrobat, it's definitely too big. Other than that, a job well done. You may also want to consider making the outlines a bit neater and less jagged, but with all of those angles it seems mostly unavoidable anyways.
I see...resizing is gonna be a pain, though I'm slightly inclined to want to look at exactly how big the sprites are in comparison ingame before I start reworking...and yeah, remember this was a trace-over of an actual ingame sprite--Jagged lines are gonna be hard to deal with mainly because the design itself is just a massive clusterbomb of angles

So I had a productive day today. Felt like redoing the Quilladen line primarily to complete the second-stage starer trio. Also I feel Treecko's color pallette is better than Chesnaught's atm in regards to the green, so I feel this is better. Just don't zoom in too closely on the eyes, those were a pain to make and look odd close up because of the method I had to use. Aside from that, I also made a quickie frontsprite for Scatterbug, which can be found below.

Backsprite coming shortly.

Comments and critiques are welcome as always.

Love the Scatterbug sprite, aXl. Think the right eye is slightly too close to the nose for Quilladin (made a small edit below), but a definite improvement.

Quilladin.png

Last edited:
Hawlucha's main colours are sea green and a weird red that's kind of pink. These colours are basically at opposite sides of the colour wheel; they're complementary colours! So it's relatively easy to get a palette that works~! Since neither colour is particularly common in the pokemon world, I think you can get away by using internet tools that give you mathematically-assisted colour scheme tools. This seems like a decent tool; just select the "complementary colours" icon and then select the sea green colour and it'll give you the red/orange, visa versa. imo the red is a bit more pink, and colour wheels vary (some give orange as the complement, some give a red/pink), but it'll give you a basic idea of colours that go together.

You might find using the "accented analogous" option and selecting his pink and sea green values to also be quite helpful... As there's also yellows and oranges in Hawlucha.

tl;dr: Possible base for a colour scheme - adjust as needed using the site's link

I took a shot at colouring Hawlucha.
View attachment 4417 View attachment 4416
Looks good to me but for all I know I'm colourblind.

Do note that I did mess with the iris some because I couldn't fill it in in a way that felt right with the original. I assume someone else can make it work, I just couldn't.
Not quite the right red colour, and both that and the sea green are a bit too dark of a shade, but it's getting closer than the super bright colours in the original sprite

Just thought I'd throw this out there, but I feel I may have found a pokémon with a color pallet close to what you all are looking for with Hawlucha and his seafoam green.

Legitimate Username

is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Since I've gotten this sprite all ready for animation, it's highly unlikely that I'll be making any more edits. So I might as well post the finalized versions here. I also figured out how to get the shiny sprite down to 15 colours without making the dress shadows look weird.

The animation is proving to be quite a challenge, but luckily I've got a weekend around the corner and the new Doctor Who special should only take a couple hours of my time.

There. I can't make his body move more fluidly, maybe you guys can change that. Here's the file with the individual sprites:

Since I've gotten this sprite all ready for animation, it's highly unlikely that I'll be making any more edits. So I might as well post the finalized versions here. I also figured out how to get the shiny sprite down to 15 colours without making the dress shadows look weird.

The animation is proving to be quite a challenge, but luckily I've got a weekend around the corner and the new Doctor Who special should only take a couple hours of my time.
Thank you for helping with the back sprite! ;-;

You did a wonderful job with the back sprite and with the shiny recoloring as well. However, I do have some nitpicks if you don't mind. I think a few had already pointed out; her head seems to be at a wrong angle. It also looks like it sticks out a bit too much to the left. As of now, it looks like she's just looking straight ahead, as opposed to the front sprite where her head is tilting slightly up. Apart from this, I don't see any glaring flaws about it. Overall, a great job in your part!

I just hope the sprites will be approved when Wyverii comes. Until then, I bid you an early good luck with animation. I'm looking forward to seeing it!

Legitimate Username

To be honest, I think that the problems that you brought up are kind of illusions, as the sprites have the exact same silhouette and they eyes are at the exact same height. But I'm not going to prevent you from editing it if you still feel it's necessary.

Anyways, I had to fix the speed of this animation. I've learned two things in the process: Pivot can be somewhat limited when choosing a frame rate, and that GIMP is pretty much the worst program ever when it comes to fixing this stuff.

CoolStoryBrobat

I hope it's ok CoolStoryBrobat but I edited mega Manectric hope you like
View attachment 4529
Not bad, it's a good start as far as getting the proportions accurate goes, seeing as:

Though there's still some retouching that needs to be done in regards to the lines. You don't mind if I work on that myself do you RedRooster ? An edit of an edit would be weird to think about, but I think we're pretty close to hitting the mark. Much appreciated for getting the size right, cause that was bugging me for a while.

CoolStoryBrobat I don't mind if you edit my edit I just want mega Manectric to look as nice as we can make it.
Any way I also did a new delphox sprite the current one looked weird to me hope you like.
delphox.png

old new
i'll do a back on for it soon, and please give feed back

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Not bad, it's a good start as far as getting the proportions accurate goes, seeing as:

Though there's still some retouching that needs to be done in regards to the lines. You don't mind if I work on that myself do you RedRooster ? An edit of an edit would be weird to think about, but I think we're pretty close to hitting the mark. Much appreciated for getting the size right, cause that was bugging me for a while.
only thing that we dont excatly know about their 1 ft size difference if its from the lightning bolt or from his head. Might want to compare the two closely first.

also, if boo boo keys get approved, I can work on him as well along with pangoro.

with that delphox, not 100% sold with that new version. The extra detail is great but dont know about the pose. (Not to mention fire is not the easiest thing to animate)

CoolStoryBrobat I don't mind if you edit my edit I just want mega Manectric to look as nice as we can make it.
Any way I also did a new delphox sprite the current one looked weird to me hope you like.
View attachment 4540
old new
i'll do a back on for it soon, and please give feed back
That looks really good, but there were some things bugging me, which I edited:

old:
new:

It was mostly the face which kinda looked like a mouse-face (the ears also were too round), but I did work on many parts of the sprite just a very little everywhere and fixed some things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)