Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

I'd like to contribute, but I haven't been in the loop and I don't know which have already been taken and which still need new sprites. So if someone has any ideas, throw 'em at me.

EDIT: Just re-read the OP. Oops. I'll go reserve a few. Malamar and Bunnelby look good.

EDIT2:

The two problems I feel with this one are that it's very close to the Sugimori artwork and it's rather large. If either of those are worthy of fixing, please let me know.

EDIT3:

yerp

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's a good sprite and by all means use the Sugi art as the base, but Malamar is 1.5m in height and while I don't tend to be this specific lets look at some other mons that are that height

Reducing it in size a bit may be the best for it.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The bunny looks great, with the smaller size I made a few choice line edits to assist with readability

it's not much but adds to some of the shape

EDIT: I've been working on
and for fun I made a video showing my work on it

so yeah that took an hour for me wow, I might tape a custom sprite but that would easily take 4 times as long.

Last edited:
Talonflame:

Edits:

Keep two things in mind. Colour count and readability! Make sure that things like eyes don't blend into the face. Watch out for broken lines too. Malamar was also fat so I trimmed him down some.

Branflake's stuff is spot on. I hope to see more from him.

Thanks, Wyverii. I'm going to try and take another crack at the new Malamar's face, though, because although the rest of the edit is great, something seems terribly off with its eyes and mouth. I'll edit this when it's done.

upload_2013-8-30_19-53-55.png
That should be the last one. I'm working on the backsprite, but there are less references so it's proving challenging. I will persevere!

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
May I reserve mega-blaziken? I may not be a noob at spriting but I'm not the best so I understand if you decline
from the chart ReddHawk34 has reserved it but I am not beyond having you make one since I haven't seen anything from him so far.

What Pokemon are NOT Taken? I would make one for Chespin if it would be used =) I am no good at back sprites though, so that is out of the question, sorry.

Loving the mega mawile! I want to know how to make such a fluid gen 5-style animation.

I'm gonna try my hand at mega charizard. I'm currently still working on Pangoro's animation and each frame is taking a really long time so I kinda need a break to work on something new. Also, I don't have any references for Ampharos's back sprite so I'm going to hold off on that until I find one.

EDIT: I'm not necessarily reserving charizard so anybody else can give it a go if they want.

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!

Hey look I made dreads that don't suck so much.

Also @Legitimate Username there are a few things with that static sprite that may need to be retouched such as the outline, using the same colours as the normal sprite, as well as things like the face that is just so thin. Take a look more at the standard one and see where you can use what is already available to you to make your version better. Take for example my newest version of this Lucario I took a good look at Gira-O and Tentacruel to help me shape those annoying dreads and I feel it's for the better.

@Bynine yeah I can see you might need some assistance and I might be able to help later but if you want to take another crack you really gotta look at a simple mon from both the front and back and see how the perspective changes.

For now I guess I'll try out Mega Blastoise

Last edited:

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Update progress, with a brand new colour pallete and some tweaks on the outline. At first I had used the palletes from Plusle/Minun for the tan and Gligar for the pink, but now it's all from the original Mawile sprite.

EDIT: Made some modifications to the head size as well. I hope it's looks better now.

Last edited:

Regime

the party is December 18th
is an Artist Alumnus

So after a while I decided that I cannot pose a sprite, so instead I looked at Quan's Gogoat and saw that he was missing the brown-red ish marks on his back, so I puzzled around a bit, managed to delete two colors while still looking good and I made the marks.
Sorry for using your sprite if I wasn't allowed, Quan.
I think it looks good, but its way too detailed. If ya look at other sprites, they don't have that amount of shading etc.

An update on my progress, I have hit a bump in the road as a technical "fuck-up" has removed my ability to scale the brushes. I will fix it later, as I have to go as of now.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
Ahoy so I have reached out to a deviantart user and will be using this Inkay he made

some of his stuff here: http://zermonious.deviantart.com/

He has done some other mons but I'm not going to use them as they are either ones we already have or don't fit some of the requirements for the project, plus I only want to use what I asked specifically for.

I also took Quany's cute baby Kanga and changed the colours around so it would 15 in total with Mamma Kangha

This will probably be very easy to animate!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)