Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Most likely because the frontsprite shows the topside of the right wing (which corresponds to the backsprites left) when it flaps down. It does look a little off on the backsprite but logically that's what it should look like based on how the frontsprite flaps its wings.

I'm going to go ahead and reserve the supposed Amaura evo, given that it's on the spreadsheet, and that I'm already working on Amaura.

Let's make two a pair. Reserving Tyrunt's evo.

And here's a first draft, I traced over sugimori art:

Last edited:

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
nah Cherub is right, it's flipped incorrectly, you can even see that it switches when you look at the other wing. When the wing is down you should see the orange/black, and when the wing is up you should see the white/orange spots (but because of angle the backsprite you won't see any white/red, just the thinness, like on the left frontsprite wing)

A traced sprite of the Sugimori art is good as a placeholder, but ideally we want something with an appropriate pose for battles. Sugimori art doesn't always show pokemon in appropriate in-battle fighting stances. Tyrantrum is an example of this, so while your sprite is looking decent so far, it may end up being replaced if someone else makes a sprite with a better pose.

Right now our goal is to get as many 6th gen pokemon sprited before Showdown adapts to the new metagame, so keep at what you're doing. Once that's done, we should focus on our next biggest concern - quality. And appropriate poses lol

A traced sprite of the Sugimori art is good as a placeholder, but ideally we want something with an appropriate pose for battles. Sugimori art doesn't always show pokemon in appropriate in-battle fighting stances. Tyrantrum is an example of this, so while your sprite is looking decent so far, it may end up being replaced if someone else makes a sprite with a better pose.

Right now our goal is to get as many 6th gen pokemon sprited before Showdown adapts to the new metagame, so keep at what you're doing. Once that's done, we should focus on our next biggest concern - quality. And appropriate poses lol
I will get the colors and proportions down in the sugimori art, and then redraw it in the battle pose. Will that be acceptable?

Oh but Tyrunt's sugimori art seems in an ok pose to me.

I don't mean to offend since I wouldn't be able to do anywhere near as good as this but this is A) Too big and B) doesn't fit the style of B2/W2 at all.
Well, I just said I'd repose it, so I don't think there is much of an issue there.

Plus, I wasn't offended, so no biggie.

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I actually rather like the pose, it doesn't seem at all like it isn't in battle. I personally don't see any need to change it. It's pretty similar to this.

It does still have a couple of issues though. First of all, the proportions seem to tall. Resizing it to be a little shorter to better match the Sugimori art. Also, a making it a little smaller overall may help. Few sprites use the entire 96x96 pixel box.

Secondly, there's still a lot of anti-aliasing making it all blurry, so it still looks more like a compressed image than a sprite. I doubt it's under the 15 colour limit. But this is only the case for some parts of it around the edges, so I assume you're working on that. Also, the outline should be black in some places.

Overall, I think that the sprite is pretty good so far, it just still looks like a work in progress since a few things need to be cleaned up.

I actually rather like the pose, it doesn't seem at all like it isn't in battle. I personally don't see any need to change it. It's pretty similar to this.

It does still have a couple of issues though. First of all, the proportions seem to tall. Resizing it to be a little shorter to better match the Sugimori art. Also, a making it a little smaller overall may help. Few sprites use the entire 96x96 pixel box.

Secondly, there's still a lot of anti-aliasing making it all blurry, so it still looks more like a compressed image than a sprite. I doubt it's under the 15 colour limit. But this is only the case for some parts of it around the edges, so I assume you're working on that. Also, the outline should be black in some places.

Overall, I think that the sprite is pretty good so far, it just still looks like a work in progress since a few things need to be cleaned up.
Well, thanks, man.

Yes, it is a WIP, I just like to give progress updates so I don't wind up wasting weeks on something and then have to re-do it.

There we are. This'll be my last one until a while after the game comes out - I'll try to come back and do a few more then if there are any left.

Cheers!

Hello, I present myself to this community to show my attempt to spriting Tyrantrum, in hope you like them, if don't then you can use them however you like.
Posibly i'll sprite aurorus in the future.
Tyrantrum

old sprite

Edit: Added better back sprite to Tyrantrum and sprites from Aurorus. In retrospective, i suck at making back sprites. Hope you like themAurorus

Last edited:
Hello, I present myself to this community to show my attempt to spriting Tyrantrum, in hope you like them, if don't then you can use them however you like.

Those are pretty good, but that and aurorus are both reserved.

Heck, I personally have reserved and are working on the Tyrunt line.

Those are pretty good, but that and aurorus are both reserved.

Heck, I personally have reserved and are working on the Tyrunt line.
I might try to do Nyaonikusu and/or Amarusu, if no one minds me reserving them.
Edit: Since no one else has offered, I'm going to reserve Nyaonikusu (both genders) and Amarusu, however, since my spriting skills are a little rusty, I also encourage anyone else who wants to to take a shot.
Speaking as the person who reserved Amoura / Arourus, If you can do job at spriting them, and I assume that you can given the quality of your Tyrantrum sprites, then by all means go ahead.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey that's some nice work and yeah I'm totally going to use it, but not without editing some of the line, and removing all that checkerboard. Even in gen 3 where it seemed to be everywhere it's moderation of checkerboard that works best

I might make some more edits later when it isn't 2 AM.

A side note on reservations: I don't really have a problem with taking sprites from people who didn't 'reserve' the mon, heck I just did it! If you want to make a mon nobody is stopping you. I use the reserve system because I just want to know what is being worked on. Gold you've reserved a lot and have very little to show for it, so it is only understandable my confidence is diminishing. I have no problem with pixel over official artwork but I haven't seen you with anything else so I'm not even sure you are able to finish a mon at this point. There are a select few others who also fall into this, now I don't mind making backsprites sometimes but doing it for every mon will burn me out very quickly, especially when I work against the original spriters style to get it to work.

That front sprite looks fantastic, albeit rather big for BW standards, don't you think? Maybe it's just a poor comparison, but perhaps a slight size reduction is in order? That said, it's a large Pokemon, so if the size is comparable to other big guys, like, say, Groudon, it should be alright.

As for the backsprite, it doesn't really match the front, yeah? Unless they're different animation frames, the tail of the backsprite is near the ground and curved slightly, as opposed to the front, where it is held aloft and straight. The backsprite's head is also looking up, whereas Tyrantrum's front looks straight ahead. Also, the little rock formation near the cheek probably shouldn't be entirely blocked by his collar, as it doesn't seem to bend backwards enough to call for that.

But yeah, that really does look super awesome; sweet sprite for a sweet 'mon, eh?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)