Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

To me, it's not the tail that bugs me, it's more the position of the head.
If you look at the front sprite, He stares at you.
But the problem is, this is also in the backsprite, which is kinda weird IMO

Gold you've reserved a lot and have very little to show for it, so it is only understandable my confidence is diminishing. I have no problem with pixel over official artwork but I haven't seen you with anything else so I'm not even sure you are able to finish a mon at this point. There are a select few others who also fall into this, now I don't mind making backsprites sometimes but doing it for every mon will burn me out very quickly, especially when I work against the original spriters style to get it to work.[/quote]
I have three reservations.

I am nearly done with them.

I have been busy irl.

I'm still going to finish my sprite anyway, would be a shame to just give up mid way through.

And and by the way, Layell, I can do stuff other then trace sugimori art, in fact you propelle dme into a half lazy rage to scratch sprite a tyrunt.

Ignore the size issues and that the arm is fucked up.

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Mostly relating to the back sprite - I looooove that front sprite though.
A few suggestions:
- Try tilting the head downward a bit. Right now that Tyrantrum seems like a tube more than a dinosaur...
- Add the ridges to its entire back - it doesn't just have an awkward flat spot behind its collar!
- Lower the collar a bit. In your back sprite it appears to be curving forward, but in this screenshot from the official site it clearly tilts back:

Still an awesome sprite though, good job :D

EDIT: I AM DOING MEWTWO X

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Quany made some good sprites, I made some slight edits than made a back. The amount of fine tuning on this almost makes me want to not use Pyroar.

Hello again.
I'm sorry if i skip a step in not see if somebody else was already working in tyrantrum, but i encourage anyone who was working in keep doing it, this is one of my first spriting attempt so i'm confident you can do a better job. And to be honest, Tyrantrum and Aurorus are the only 2 i really want to sprite, so...
Anyway, thanks for everithyng and i did some edits about the recomendation you gave me in the back sprite, i hope is better.

Hello again.
I'm sorry if i skip a step in not see if somebody else was already working in tyrantrum, but i encourage anyone who was working in keep doing it, this is one of my first spriting attempt so i'm confident you can do a better job. And to be honest, Tyrantrum and Aurorus are the only 2 i really want to sprite, so...
Anyway, thanks for everithyng and i did some edits about the recomendation you gave me in the back sprite, i hope is better.
Welp, I will still work on Tyrantrum, as I assume you wetre talking about me, and I'm also mostly done with tyrunt.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In other news I got some formal permission to use another DA artist I had my eye on, Seiku has a nice Gogoat and Helioptile, the latter is always one that I've seen be really weird as a sprite and I think he has an ideal version

He has some other nice sprites of course but I really like these so I'm adding his name to the project as well!

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
Good stuff Reptile I'm making some slight edits and I think I have the solution for your colour problem (it's actually simpler than you might think!). Right now the front at least has more than 15 colours and I'm working on clearing up some of them to make it 15. I'll post an update in a day or two.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Thanks Layell; the 15 color limit always gets me lol.

Also, something I did really quick since I think everything else is reserved. Shiny Gogoat! (original is there for comparison)

Cheated a bit to get 15 colors, but I think it came nicely.

Shiny based off this

I edited Mega Charizard a little, hope no one minds.

Most notably is the head. I also made the spikes on it's tail bigger, changed the flame on it's tail and changed the mono-looking claws on it's hands into more.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
Wyv and I felt the claws were fine, and thanks for noticing the bigger flame! I've made a composite edit out of all of that

I also made my back have a bigger spike in return and bigger flame, I also added something really important to the back I forgot about last time.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
yeah cause I used the back sprite as a base to save on animation later, lazy/practical

In other news behold the versatility of black

Just about a complete recolour, only yellow and absolute black has remained. Figuring out the last colour to cut out was tough but I took out the darkest purple and replaced the purple outline with black as done in some sprites with many colours (Hydreigon being one with the mouths). I may do some touch up with the wing spikes later.

Well, Worked on my Tyrunt sprite a bit, bear in mind I'm still working on making it less blurry, but I would love to get some constructive criticism on it so far:

Yes I know I still need the other leg, I'm putting it off cause I'm lazy.

I edited Mega Charizard a little, hope no one minds.

Most notably is the head. I also made the spikes on it's tail bigger, changed the flame on it's tail and changed the mono-looking claws on it's hands into more.

I totally approve of these changes! As for the back sprite, it should (eventually) be in the same pose as the front sprite. The back sprite Layell made is good, but it doesn't capture a bunch of the anatomical differences between charizard and mega.

Mmm...
I kinda like it, kinda don't. I like the leaves, although their detail is a bit too furry, like with Gogoat. Also I'm not happy with the big flower on it's head. and the 'vines'. And the blank spot behind the head bugs me.
Despite all the critique I give on myself I can't seem to fix it (yay foor noobskills), so if anybody wants to improve it, go ahead.
Oh and S0L1D, It's been one week since you reserved Venusaur IIRC.

Edit: Oh I forgot the spots on the head.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have finally, after many attempts, gotten a Meowstic (Female) sprite that, while not as good as I'd like it to be, doesn't look like the hell spawn created by an octopus and an umbrella, so that's a plus. I am putting the finishing touches on it, so I will edit it in later, but I thought I'd give a progress report, as currently I have done nothing in this thread but reserve stuff.

Edit: Yeah, so I finished the sprite I was working on. Not the best, but (probably) not the worst either. Keep in mind that I did scratch sprite this for the fun/challenge.

And back sprite.

To be honest, if there's an easier way than scratch spriting then I would appreciate someone telling me so I can make these with a bit more quality.

Edit 2: This isn't the final design, it's just a first draft. Criticize away.

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
This post is not meant to upstage anybody.

Having saw a certain screenshot of Noivern I realized that shit we made a huge mistake, that has been fixed.

so yeah I worked on that.

Another amazing DA artist is Noscium who has given free use of sprites, so I did the logical thing and made a back for his Mega Venusaur

This is actually a bit of reduced palette since Noscium enjoys going over the 15 colour limit, and a combination of his own colours as well as the normal Venusaur sprites.

I'm going to use his Blastoise Mega next to replace my bad one, along with a newly modified back.

Having saw a certain screenshot of Noivern I realized that shit we made a huge mistake, that has been fixed.

Another amazing DA artist is Noscium who has given free use of sprites, so I did the logical thing and made a back for his Mega Venusaur

This is actually a bit of reduced palette since Noscium enjoys going over the 15 colour limit, and a combination of his own colours as well as the normal Venusaur sprites.

I'm going to use his Blastoise Mega next to replace my bad one, along with a newly modified back.
Dat venusaur is amazing.
Better than mine anyways .-.

The front sprite of Noivern looks amazing, nice symmetry, good angle, great proportions, but the back sprite has a few problems.

Firstly, the two wings are both completely different sizes. Using the front sprite, official art and the trailers as a comparison, I think the left wing is the right size, but the black lines are too close together, make them just a bit further apart at the top, so it looks more like the right wing. But the right wing is too small. It needs to be taller and wider so it looks the same size as the left wing. The black lines need to be further to the right. Use the official art to determine where but I think it needs shifting a bit. Also at the moment they look a bit flat so work on fleshing them out so they kind of curve on the top a bit, not much though. Also I would raise the left wing up a bit so it doesn't look like it is leaning on the floor.

Next, the left leg is too far back and at a strange angle, the foot is up when in the front sprite it is down. I think the leg needs to be further forward so it is on the same level as the right leg and the foot should be on the ground.

Lastly, I think the head needs adjusting. Rather than the ears looking like two separate things, in the official art they are kind of like facing forward at the same angle. To adjust the ears, I think you should have them look like the front ears, without the green bits.

I hope this advice is useful to you, I am not criticising at all and think you are all amazing spriters - I could never do what you are doing so take my comments with a pinch of salt if you want, and keep up the good work!! I wish you the best in the future and I enjoy coming here everyday to look at these amazing sprites!

Hi guys,

I realise you already have a Spritzee (sorry, Quanyails!), but I thought I'd have a go anyway:

He is supposedly the same size as Natu, but hopefully Spritzee's 'stretching' stance and looking down on Natu cancels out somehow (also, only now do I realise that the Natu sprite isn't grounded...).

I've had a go at making a backsprite but it's pretty dire so far so that's not getting posted. I intend to finish it at some point, but I couldn't say when (or how salvagable it'll be), so I understand if you don't want to use this sprite/prefer the other.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
Sleet proves his shit yet again, perhaps after this project I can get back to Amethyst?

Speaking of Amethyst there was always a useful tool to count colours in a sprite, that is here: http://amethyst-sprites.heroku.com/palette and if somebody has another program to fulfill this let me know since I've never been able to find anything like it.

Which brings me to my next point

I can do stuff other then trace sugimori art, in fact you propelle dme into a half lazy rage to scratch sprite a tyrunt.
If you want to prove yourself like that go ahead, I love it when people learn to sprite but when you pass off making the artwork smaller and putting some pixels over it I will probably never accept it. The proper way is using something like photoshop or paint.net and create a layer over the reduced artwork so that no trace of the artwork can remain and the sprite can be removed from the blurry artwork later. Your Tyrunt has over 32 colorus from using that app, and no spriter I know would knowingly have the patience to add that many shades of red into a mouth, or brown anywhere. The fact is XY is going to release very soon, and if we finish as much as possible before then the better. So ignoring reservations that have been sitting there isn't going to happen much.

The QC we are about to do does not have time to deal with sprites that are blurry reduced artwork, sorry but it's true. This is why I am ignoring some sprites over others. I am trying to be objective which is why I've also been scrapping some of my own sprites when I know others have done better.

K, so I worked on my first ever sprite, but realised afterwards that's not how you color in a sprite. But anyways, here it is:

It also might look a bit too angry, please give me feedback. I'm not a professional spriter so don't go insult me or anything please ;_;

EDIT: I'd love it if someone made a good version of this.

EDIT 2: I looked at the link Layell posted, gonna try to recolor it later with the Ludicolo colors.

EDIT 3: I just realised it's faaaar too big, most likely. Please someone help me recolor and resize it :p

EDIT 4: It's done. Might be too small now >.<

EDIT 5: Re-shaded and improved feet & arms.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)