Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

The first leak of Noibat looked nothing like how he actually looked. So i had to pretty much start from scratch.
...I liked him better the way I thought he looked. Feedback (Or take him and re haul) appreciated. So NOW I'm going to start on the back for real.

Last edited:

I couldn't help but edit LU and Noscium's Goodra sprites since they're both very good. I didn't make it to replace LU's since his is a WIP. Either way I know there aren't any references for either Sliggoo or Goodra, but the designs seem simple enough that I can try it using the front pictures for reference. It seems easy to start back sprites by horizontally flipping the front sprite and adjusting the proportions before filling in the line-art. This implies making sure that the "closer" bodyparts like the feet are farther away, while making the tail appear to extend towards the screen. The existing Noivern back sprites have a problem with the farther wing being larger than the closer wing.

Last edited:
Well, I did a do-over of my Pumpkaboo sprite and here's what it looks like now.

(Made modifications in positioning, size, and colors)

Also, I noticed the Phantump sprite I made is in the spreadsheet so might as well post it here too. Coming with it is also its backsprite.

Making back sprites is not my forte so it might look wonky, wrongly positioned, etc. So, yeah...please help me here if you can. As for Pumpkaboo, I think I'll wait for more references and pictures of it to get a better look of its back side.

As always, insights and criticisms are welcomed.

Last edited:

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
If it isnt taken, i want to give mega obamasnow a try. been a while since i sprited so this would be a good warm up :)

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It seems easy to start back sprites by horizontally flipping the front sprite and adjusting the proportions before filling in the line-art. This implies making sure that the "closer" bodyparts like the feet are farther away, while making the tail appear to extend towards the screen.
Yep, that's exactly how I did Mega Mawile's backsprite, though there's no doubt this would be easier. Anyways I'm completely fine with yours replacing mine. For one, you changed the palette to match Sliggoo, so that's kind of a mandatory consitency. Secondly, it just looks overall smoother and nicer. I won't mind if you go ahead with the backsprite (you'd probably do a much better job anyways), although I must admit I would like to do the animation when I get the chance. Since it looks like XY is only going to have ~70 new Pokémon excluding megas, that may be a lot sooner than I've been thinking.

Also, one minor thing, but I'd highly recommend replacing the white #FFFFFF with #F8F8F8. It's precedented on almost all Pokémon that have a lot of white on them.

Last edited:
I understand what you're saying about the white colors, but on this site it seems that all of the sprites have just plain white. Even pokemon like Abomasnow and Thundurus who have a lot of white on them. I'm trying to find an almost-white color from BW sprites so that I can use the eye-dropper tool in paint to get exactly F8F8F8 lol

EDIT: I trust The Spriters Resource's rips more. I've spent a good amount of time there in the past lol

Last edited:

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well that's a little weird actually. I get palettes from The Spriter's Resource, and almost all of the whites are F8 (Electrode, Xatu, Absol, Abomasnow, and Swanna as random examples), but on the site with the animated ones you linked to, they've all mysteriously changed to FF. Oh well, if that's the case, then I guess it doesn't matter much.

EDIT: I did some research on the matter, and found evidence that TSR does replace the whites with really light grays. It should be #FFFFFF, like how it is on Bulbapedia and the site with all the animated ones.

Last edited:

Jaiho

bandy legged troll
I kinda sorta reserve Mega Gengar, as in I want to do it, but anyone else who wants to do it is welcome to :)

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
noticed that sprite too. Was actually using it to help me make my own but if he lets you use that sprite i dont mind switching to another poke or at least make a back sprite

Made a few changes to Goomy, and I worked on the back sprite.

There are no (or at least I don't think there isn't) images that show the back of Goomy, so this is how it looks for now.

Hi, I'm new to this site, and I won't be able to help out with spriting, but have you seen N-Kin on DA? Though he hasn't done any X/Y sprites lately, he has some amazing sprites including a fully animated pancham and fennekin. He has already given permission for some fan games and ROM-hacks, so it might be worth asking him.

Alright! After some quick practice sketches, I'd be more than happy to provide reference images to sprite over. Just ask me and I'll provide an image. C:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lots of things, will try to touch on all of them:

Woah people are making cool backsprites, that is always great! RedRooster that rocky guy is amazing and you're clearly very good at what you do, can't wait to see the backs as well!

Seiku yeaaa you're here that is really cool, I've been stalking your DA page all the time to see what you've been up to! Also what would you think about a back for Braixen?

As long as it's white it should be fine. I think some rippers change the white maybe? I'm never 100%.

I've been following about every pokemon spriter on DA. The big thing being I won't always bother people. With N-kin I just haven't seen anything new from the guy we don't have. As for Noscium he's been very kind to allow free use with credit but the guy makes HUGE sprites with tons of colours, sometimes they aren't all suitable, plus I have two people interested in spriting that mega.

I like Wobblebuns Mega-Gard best because it's not really huge and looks similar enough to normal one.

Ambipom Wizard I suppose these are some we might need: Avalugg, Mega Gyarados, Florges, or Dragalge might need them. We barely have many photos of these but we know they are confirmed! A front and back image goes a long way. Also anything RedRooster made, he is waiting for some back images.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)