Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Hello,
I've been looking at the various posts on this thread and have noticed some things on the animation, and that is that is the rare animation. (Ex. Arceus standing on its hind legs for a second)

For most of the animations that have been made, I don't really notice one of those types of rare animations. Some of these Pokemon are:
Mega-Absol, Aegislash-Blade, Mega-Garchomp, Honedge, Mega-Lucario, Malamar, Spritzee, and Trevenant.

I might have not been able to see them if you actually put them in, and ofc they're not necessary, or maybe you're already planning on doing this, but if any animator wants to go the extra mile and do so, I think it would make the sprites look even more awesome (sorry if that's bad grammar).

Also, the rare animations don't really have to be obvious. You can make it as obvious as Vanilluxe (With the ice spray thing) or Kyurem-W (With the fire energy going through those tubes), or you can make it as Subtle as Lucario.
(Look closely at his chest area... It moves forward slightly every once in a while.)

Just my 2 cents.

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Rare animations are a low priority because they take a lot of extra effort for minimal gain. It's on the "eventually" list. I was actually planning on doing Mega Lucario's rare animation a while back, but decided animating Malamar would be a far better use of my time.

Anyways, I may do a couple more fixes on Aegislash, for example the eye is a lot better but still not quite perfect. Also, I love the added detail on the shield, it looks awesome.

Anyways, I may do a couple more fixes on Aegislash, for example the eye is a lot better but still not quite perfect. Also, I love the added detail on the shield, it looks awesome.
According to the Ken Sugimori art for aegislash, the arm is much shorter. But in our current sprite, the arm is longer than the blade, which is odd. That needs to be fixed too.

Legitimate Username

is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Should the arm be shorter on the sprite? I dunno. I don't feel strongly either way.

EDIT: Layell, with the current arm's position, the gap is kind of necessary to properly show the shape of the arm. But I agree that it's annoying, so I'll probably change the entire arm's position so it isn't touching the shield from above. I think that would look best.

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I like arm length,

also was that few pixel gap in shield hand between shield and arm always there in the front holy crap why is it bothering me now???

Also I just saw some of LU's mega animations finally on the server and they look crazy beyond belief. We are the best project.

Also I call upon the power of Legender to pull off animated normal/shiny Arceus-Fairy

What is the program you use to recolour animations? I don't plan on taking your niche here, but I'd love to know what it is.

Last edited:
Something seemed rather off about the Klefki sprite on the google document (namely the fact that the 'mouth' merged into the bottom of the body), so I gave it a quick update by adding an extra pixel of height (and a few other updates). Hope you don't mind, Quanyails?
Klefki.png

(By the way, hi. :U)

Last edited:
hmm I didnt notice anything when I went back and looked but then again I'm not exactly sure what Im looking for. But I'll upload it again if it helps.

View attachment 2816
Alright, this is bugging me so much so Im going to say it:

Can you move your "upper jaw"? No, you can't - and this dinosaur shouldn't be able to either. It looks extremely weird. It's okay if it can move it up a little bit, but the animation where it moves it's upper mouth downwards just looks really awful...

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
he isnt moving his upper jaw. hes really moving his whole head forward and down in a way that makes it seem like it does. Cant make his whole head move as much as the jaw or it would look even weirder. But does everyone feel the same way cuz I guess I can make his top jaw move down less when I get the chance.

he isnt moving his upper jaw. hes really moving his whole head forward and down in a way that makes it seem like it does. Cant make his whole head move as much as the jaw or it would look even weirder. But does everyone feel the same way cuz I guess I can make his top jaw move down less when I get the chance.
I think it looks fine, man.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
hmmm.... I dont know how I feel about that pose you made. I mean the sprite itself is great even though the face looks slightly squished but the pose reminds me of a slinky haha.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
K so,

I've been handling an influx of requests for fan-games and the like to use our sprites. As I've said in the OP before I appreciate them asking me, but recently I updated with a clear goal for anyone who wants to use them, and that is a visible credits page that links back to this thread and thus the current chart of everyone who contributed. I've also added those folks to the first post, that should be helpful. If we find random projects using them, especially charging the monies then let me know.Also some thought has been put into what happens when we done and I vanish completely from online pokemon, perhaps by then someone else can manage the project or we chill on asking a smog rep directly. But I've been around this community for some time now so that won't happen for a while, we can cross that bridge when we get there. In handing all this admin stuff (from giving the updates to PS and setting up animations, facebook stuff now too) I've slowed down on the spriting stuff but rest assured I'm always trying to keep up with everything. If I do forget to update PS with a complete front/back QC or the like do feel free to nudge me with a VM or IRC.

Also paint.net is the best transparency program.

Legitimate Username

gifmagic.com can do animation recolours, I've used it when necessary. It's not exactly the fastest program for doing so, but it gets the job done.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
Today, my heart melted when I saw this:

So I made this:

you probably want to raise his head a bit because if you look at the picture again you notice that there should be some space between the ears and the body. The head you made is a bit too flat. Think thats literally the only thing thats wrong with the sprite so nice work!

It's neck moves one pixel up, but other than that nothing changes... while his upper mouth is being put really far downward. So no it doesn't look at all like he's moving his head downward. It'd need the "crown" / eyes etc all be in motion and be seen from a different angle for it to look like that.

Edit: Something like this:

Last edited:
Today, my heart melted when I saw this:

So I made this:

Love it. As per ito's comment, I've given it a bit of a lift (shame it's no longer 42x42 precisely D:)
carbink.png

Also, I don't know whether all the colours of the Flabébé line are going to be used or just a single variant, but I noted that Flabébé and Floette are currently red, whilst Florges is yellow. Therefore, here's a red Florges.
Florges.png

Little update to Klefki:
Klefki.png

Legitimate Username

Sorry Furai, I fixed it in an edit of one of my posts, so I should have made a new post or at least tagged you in the edit (I thought I did, must have forgotten).

Anyways, what I specifically fixed was an animation error where the neck would move outward at a weird angle, which is what I assumed you were referring to. Was that it, or was it something else that I missed that needs fixing? I'm not quite sure exactly what looked/looks awkward about it.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Legitimate Username

thanks for editting, sorry for not catching it :)

my main problem with the neck is that it's like oddly connected to the body. i think that the straight line in the pic i posted above is the thing that does it. i can't really explain it in words but if you look really closely in bw2 garchomp's and your mega garchomp's necks, you'll get what i'm saying:

that line is making the neck look really narrow and oddly shaped, imo

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
I can pull of an edit of individual frames, might be easiest, will need a pal to pull the chomp back into an animation (I swear I will eventually get good animation program).

Anyways as some might have noticed we now have spriters getting the art badge. The first three being Quanyails Legitimate Username and me Layell

This will be run mainly by myself and I'll be updating the first post with this but here is how I'll be passing this out, on a combination of:

-Spriters who can make good front and back sprites, their work being largely self-motivated and are capable of producing work that can be easily QC'd.
-Animators that will create regular and rare animations, who edit sprites to make them more suitable for animations, such as adding poses
-Quality Control Spriter: art can be up for interpretation but all sprite projects will be following a specific style. Spriters with a high degree of QC work have an eye for quality and are helpful to bring other spriters to a higher level of work. No one spriter is perfect and QC people should help in how they know best.

This will largely be handed out by myself in consultation with the artist badge leaders Birkal and Zracknel based on a large quantity of work.

Clearly of course at this level of progress we are based much more on QC and animations. I value QC very highly and those who do it and do it well will surely be those who get the badge in the future.

Legitimate Username

Furai, I believe the neck is better now. Took all of five minutes to fix, but I may have gotten a tad distracted with stuff like Trevenant's animation and homework before uploading it.

Anyways, I'm going to have Trevenant's animation done real soon, then I've got a few sprites I need to QC, one of them being Aegislash of course.

EDIT: Totally unrelated, but I'm throwing my support behind red Florges. Yellow is for chumps.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)