Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Well, I know I have Mega Medicham in the reserves, but Mega Gyarados needs a sprite more

Not convinced Mega Medicham needs an updated sprite - the current one on the list looks pretty good.

Love the Mega Gyarados sprite - as Galifia said, the blue needs to be darker, but it looks great :)

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
That looks great! amazing. But, I think the blue needs to be darker, as seen in the official artwork and model. It doesn't have the same colour as normal gyarados.
If you look at Gyarados's model, the blue on the Mega is pretty much the same as the blue from a normal Gyarados.

Sprites general use a brighter palette, so that's why I chose a similar blue

I made it before I saw the official artwork, but it doesn't look like the scan has good color quality

If you look at Gyarados's model, the blue on the Mega is pretty much the same as the blue from a normal Gyarados.

Sprites general use a brighter palette, so that's why I chose a similar blue

I made it before I saw the official artwork, but it doesn't look like the scan has good color quality
Hmmm, hadn't really noticed how similar they were in terms of colour (and it sounds daft, but part of me had forgotten what the original Gyarados used to look like, what with the Mega being everywhere xD). That looks good to me then :)

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Okay, here's my first draft of the Mega Mewtwo X animation without a rare animation.
Any thoughts about the toe shift/lift on the highest frame? I'm not sure if I like it or if it just looks weird.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gyarados-Mega is one of those sprites where I just have to send in the update for it immediately woah.

I've been touching up Aboma

made him the same colour as the normal version, did involve some slight change in highlights.

Been working on the back, right now I only have the lineart because these tufts are really annoying.

If anyone has some suggestions this is still very early work here, but I don't think I'll be able to pull this one off alone.

also

We do need some back QC on this guy, maybe we can see if legs are visible from back (I am 100% fine with hidden from front)

Last edited:
Gyarados-Mega is one of those sprites where I just have to send in the update for it immediately woah.

I've been touching up Aboma

made him the same colour as the normal version, did involve some slight change in highlights.

Been working on the back, right now I only have the lineart because these tufts are really annoying.

If anyone has some suggestions this is still very early work here, but I don't think I'll be able to pull this one off alone.
I recommend mega-evolving one in-game and posing it in the Pokedex in the position you want. Then just snap a pic and you have a great personalized photo reference that suits your purpose perfectly. It'd help with getting all of the ruffles/tufts to look right.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
GF should have just left the legs out if they are going to look that tiny haha. Anyway, that mega gyrados looks awesome.

Finished up making goomy's tail a bit longer for the front sprite. Decided using the long tail over the short tail because of his ingame sprite. Its back sprite has a long tail so the back sprite would look weird with such a short tail on the back.

goomy-final-draft.gif
goomy-back.gif

put both so you can compare the tails to see if they match better now.

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Ugh, I had a very unproductive day. I was meaning to post this alongside some Mega Aerodactyl changes, but I haven't even managed to get those done yet. So here's Mega Lucario with a better frame rate, since the old one was way too slow.

Last edited:
So, do you guys think we can re-add the wood detail on to trevenant now that we have official art containing prominent grain. Official artwork is the most reliable representation of a pokemons design and the grain in its artwork is anything but subtle. I really don't care about edits or re-sprites of course for obvious reasons, but pls muh grain ;_;. if someone can at least re-do it. muh gain muh grain.

oh and p.s I love your smoother animation, but dare I say it... muh grain

LU, I don't mean to offend you oranything, but why do the hands of the mega lucario seem to beat like hearts? Its like, just growing for a sec, then shrinking like a heart. Very minute though.

I hope this doesn't seem rude and I apologize if the change seems unnecessary or steps on any toes, but can I offer an alternate (quality check I suppose?) to the current Tyrantrum sprite? It's not a poorly done sprite by any means, but some things about it just... don't quite look like Tyrantrum to me? So here's my own version. I'm happy to take critique and the like, and if nobody likes it, I don't mind. I figured I'd post it regardless, if that's all right...

It should hopefully be scaled correctly, as I made sure to compare it to Scolipede's sprite, which shares its height. Otherwise in general it just seemed like it needed a bit more bulk. I also enjoy the closed mouth on the 3d model, so that's present as well.

Could you make a backsprite of your Tyrantrum? I'm pretty interested with the design...

Well, I know I have Mega Medicham in the reserves, but Mega Gyarados needs a sprite more

Alright since I already looked at M-Gyara closely and edited one already I thought of doing something like that here as well...
Here's what I came up with:
(Edit:
btw, I like these colors much more... but oh well...)
The head looks really different with the bright outline, and I think it should be done since it's so obvious on the real one. It makes a huge difference.
Then there's the mouth... I found it a little small and weird looking, so I lengthed it one pixel. His "nose"-part above his mouth also seemed a little too big to me.
Then there's the eye... it looks like he's squeezing it a little bit to look more evil, but the ingame one doesn't do this. It is a clear line - almost a right-angled triangle.

I've also fixed the outlines of its head since on the right side there wasn't a clear end, but it truly ends before hitting one of it's blue "fins". The top blue fins also get bigger the nearer to his head they are. And I tried lightening up some things that are like that for the ingame model, though I can see if you don't like them, since it is kinda shaded differently already...

Last edited:

Legitimate Username

is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Galifia, I promise I WILL get that fixed when I can, but I need a break from working on Trevenant since that animation wasn't easy. Since we have the official artwork out, I definitely agree that the grain should be re-added. It'll be a bit time-consuming considering almost all of the parts need to be redone, but it's still certainly doable. Sorry for taking so long to respond.

Siiilver, for the most part that's unavoidable, but you did bring my attention to an error with the backsprite's hands that I should probably get to fixing.

EDIT: Fixed it, it was partly due to the body moving down while the arms rotated up, making some weird vibration illusions.

Last edited:

Legitimate Username

Alright, a couple of minor fixes here. Now there's three spikes on the tail, and the spike on his back is a significantly longer now.

The spike closest to the tail's tip may seem a bit weird, but it should definitely look like that. The half that's pointing downwards is from the tail, while the half that's pointing upwards is visible from the wing behind it. On the eventual animation, those two spikes will look a lot more separate.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You know what's hilarious?

Posting edited sprites stolen from a DA spriter who I asked about contributing to this project. They know who they are, and for the sprite they just posted earlier today I'm really not interested in a new version anyways so I deleted the post and all related.

The original spriter even joined smogon just to keep posting some of their stuff that we needed.

When I said in the OP I'd know if you took without credit from DA I wasn't kidding, and others can also tell.

Last edited:
Galifia, I promise I WILL get that fixed when I can, but I need a break from working on Trevenant since that animation wasn't easy. Since we have the official artwork out, I definitely agree that the grain should be re-added. It'll be a bit time-consuming considering almost all of the parts need to be redone, but it's still certainly doable. Sorry for taking so long to respond.

Siiilver, for the most part that's unavoidable, but you did bring my attention to an error with the backsprite's hands that I should probably get to fixing.

EDIT: Fixed it, it was partly due to the body moving down while the arms rotated up, making some weird vibration illusions.
thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
VYT219 It looks like you have done the same technique for sprite animating with your Sugimori art gifs (they look great btw!). Cut the thing up into pieces and transform/stretch/rotate the pieces are needed for each frame. I'm sure you could do it with the same program you currently use. Just grab a static sprite, zoom in as much as is comfortable for you, and follow the same method you use now, but without tweening (blurring between key frames). Then do it again for the back sprite! If you look at real animated sprites, they are messy, but cleaning up the frames if a pixel or two goes out of whack isn't too hard even if you have no experience with spriting. Just make sure you're using a pixel brush in your editing program.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
hey Legitimate Username I got a suggestion for mega mawlie just to make its animation even better. Instead of making both ponytails bark at the same time, you should make them bark separately. Like right ponytail bark followed by left ponytail bark then back to normal animation. Since mawlie's regular animation already makes her hair bark, think it would make sense. But its up to you cuz its still fine the way it is.

Last edited:

Legitimate Username

Here's an adorable little puffball. Just some minor edits to Quanyails's version, with better positioning of the feet and tail.

Anyways, everything about animation that paintseagull said is completely correct, except it's not really necessary to clean up a stray pixels on frames. In-game animations are messy too, take just about any frame from just about any sprite, and you'll see all these highly unkempt outlines that nobody notices because it's all moving so fast.

Also, I highly doubt I'll be adding that to Mega Mawile's animation. I like it the way it is because symmetry is nice, the mouths move at the same time in-game, and changing it will take effort.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
fair enough. Anyway, I finished up fixing up tyrantrum's front and back sprites! (hopefully for the last time haha)

tyrantrum-full.gif
tyrantrum-back.gif

Both sprites' legs are fixed and fixed the back sprite's tail even more. Think everything for this guy is all set ad ready to go unless anyone notices something else thats wrong.

Since my plate is empty now, I can give some of your animations a rare animation and take the load off you Legitimate Username so you could focus more on getting more sprites ready for animation but if you're all set, I can give mewtwo Y a go instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)