Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form

An update and a first draft back

Back scar could use some serious work, may need more refs really. The back is a tilted then heavily modified regular back. I might not have time for spriting outside of this for these days off so here we go.

In terms of greninja we are not longer really considering a change, but I cannot stop anyone from trying, doesn't mean I am obligated to accept.

@anirudhbala98 hate to say this but I'm going with whatever WPS does, copy pasting exact parts and flipping isn't exactly the skill level we are working at here.
I'm liking what is being done here, better than what I could do. "Butt fin" could use more editing, but I'm not worried about it as what you could do along with the smaller one next to it needs to be added. Can't give a full critique cause it's not done yet. But yeah I like it.

As for Greninja I was thinking we could use Smash Brothers as an idea to expect from him as we see it in actions for rare animations idle animations and such.

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, it's about time that I provided an update on this.

Only one of the back arms should really be visible anyway. If you look closely, though, you can see a little bit of two others.

I've made some fair progress on the backsprite too (all of the 4 small arms are completely done and the general placement of the big arms is set), but reference images are hard to find and I don't really feel like it would be a good idea to finish it just yet. I've also been a lot more busy with schoolwork than I thought I would be, which is definitely another reason why my contributions have slowed down. I'll try and pick it up more when I get the chance, or when Mega Milotic gets revealed because that would be like the most awesome thing ever. Happy 500 posts, me.

Last edited:
OK, busy weekend over.
==>

Here is the front completed for now, though if anyone else wishes to take a stab at it's stupid shaped fins I'd appreciate it. I can't get them to look right. I'm also uncertain if I should use my last shade for a more fitting orange for the trails (like I am now), or a second shade of grey for the segments.

I've also included a finished backsprite possible pose for it's back. Ray is long enough that the perspective changes quite a bit from behind, so it might not be optimal to have it in the same pose front and back; Just look at old ray:

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Alright, it's about time that I provided an update on this.

Only one of the back arms should really be visible anyway. If you look closely, though, you can see a little bit of two others.

I've made some fair progress on the backsprite too (all of the 4 small arms are completely done and the general placement of the big arms is set), but reference images are hard to find and I don't really feel like it would be a good idea to finish it just yet. I've also been a lot more busy with schoolwork than I thought I would be, which is definitely another reason why my contributions have slowed down. I'll try and pick it up more when I get the chance, or when Mega Milotic gets revealed because that would be like the most awesome thing ever. Happy 500 posts, me.
Nice work, however I think the lower right in the back should be sticking out further or be bigger.
OK, busy weekend over.
==>

Here is the front completed for now, though if anyone else wishes to take a stab at it's stupid shaped fins I'd appreciate it. I can't get them to look right. I'm also uncertain if I should use my last shade for a more fitting orange for the trails (like I am now), or a second shade of grey for the segments.

I've also included a finished backsprite possible pose for it's back. Ray is long enough that the perspective changes quite a bit from behind, so it might not be optimal to have it in the same pose front and back; Just look at old ray:
I'll probably edit the fins once I have time, too lazy and gotta finish Pika Pop Star. I don't like using the red for the trails, should be another shade of orange like in the first picture.

Edit: found the problem, on the fins you are making the inside more roundish at the corner, when it should be straight like a polygon or a spike. Spiking it up instead of a gradual change would most likely fix it. I'll still fix that later.

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I might argue another black shade is necessary for ray, although I have no idea what that shiny will be (and it will murder us do not doubt it)

Took about an hour to off this, at this point it's just another hour or so of style checking and making the shading right, which atm I do not want to do.

(for those of you who aren't spriters an hour is actually really really fast for me, these things take time appreciate them)

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you happened to see a credit page with us let me know RedAgent, thanks for the offer

Here is some Hawlucha updating to make the shiny work nicely

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
hello, i was looking around and saw this site thats using two of your sprites (vivillon and fennekin). its all in german so i dont know if they are giving credit to you but i thought it better to be safe than sorry.
http://www.ginomegelati.de/index.php?page=adoption&sprache=2&name=&bbhp=bb&seite=2
I love that this german site has a small banner that links to this but still show no credit to us (as far as I see atm)

top lol

until then wall of shame for these hypocrites.

BTW anyone speak German here and can get in touch???

Last edited:

Ridaz

Don't @ me
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus
As it stands right now I am also not going to accept any current Mega Salamence being created. There are a number of tough reasons this one is going to be hard, to begin we know the wingspan is a pain. But 96 x 96 is a technical requirement we have, not an artistic. Needs to be that way for teambuilder, not sure about in battle but I'm really not willing to change on this regardless. Anyone who makes a head for Mega Salamence that is noticeably different in size compared to the regular Salamence, will probably also not get it either. This is what makes this giant wingspan different than Talonflame or Noivern, it's a mega.

As it stands now my most likely option will be to draw my own pose and then sprite it myself, if not I'll take whatever Kyuzeth makes and resprite it entirely. First however I'm making a Sharpedo back likely this Monday.
Regarding this, it looks like, in the anime, it shows that Mega Salamence's wings can bend, like in the picture bellow
This may solve the wing problem. For those tackling the sprite, i hope it helps

Hello,

So I wanted to get into spriting and help out with this project, but have no idea what software you guys use to create/edit Sprites.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Responding to Ridaz I think the only reason why GF had salamence's wings straight was for elegibilty for those f***ing sky battles. Mega Zard X is in the same boat.

So I wanted to get into spriting and help out with this project, but have no idea what software you guys use to create/edit Sprites.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Suggestions are available in the OP, and this question has been posed many times before (we should have an official FAQ), but here you go:
  • MS Paint - the old-fashioned option (princessofmusic and Quanyails)
  • Photoshop - who can afford this anyway (PoM sometimes)
  • Paint.net - Photoshop for the poor (Layell 'cause he's a noob)
  • GraphicsGale - does animation as well, and the free version is as good as paid (Wyverii)
  • Aseprite - another obscure one that allows easy palette swaps
  • GIMP - also Photoshop for the poor
  • other
  • The short answer is that any image editing software should be able to do the job, even something as crude as MS Paint. However, better programs such as Photoshop can offer features that make life easier, which might include layers, animation, and transparency support.

Although I've been spriting evenly, I haven't shared any updates on account of not sleeping nearly enough lately because of my workload, hence laziness and lack of motivation. Thankfully, I have this upcoming week off, so I might just reveal something then.

Mega Salamence

Currently, I prefer Ridaz's pose the most. It's the most similar to BW Salamence and allows us to draw its body at the right size without making the wings look really weird. Prior to this, I would've suggested a "diagonal" pose with the head closer to the top-left corner and the tail in the opposite direction. Kyuzeth, I know that you're dedicated to making this guy look like a champion, but I'm not fond of what you have going so far. It's really dissonant stylistically versus the BW sprites, and the wing shape is too indiscriminate (like a sausage). I personally feel that a flying pose that captures the crescent shape would be best.

Mega Rayquaza

That looks good so far, WPS. The back fins on the front sprite seem like they're positioned oddly, as in off to one side rather than parallel to the spine. It probably is the shape messing with the perspective.

Cosplay Pikachu

I'd say that frenzyplant's collection from page 111 is rather well done. I didn't realize how much taller Belle was compared to the official sprite; that was unintended lol. Anyone is free to redraw the Belle costume over vanilla Pikachu like the other forms if they please. Rock Star looks the best so far imo. PhD could use more shading if possible, as it looks flat. As mentioned, the Pop Star skirt should spring higher up, almost perpendicular to the waist like a classical ballet tutu. Libre should be redrawn using the official Pikachu.

Mega Camerupt

This guy looks pretty solid. WPS, I think that the toothy grin looks really silly for a 2D sprite, and while it's in the Sugimori art, it isn't in the in-game model. It would be worth trying a version with a closed mouth.

Mega Slowbro

who cares

Mega Altaria

I remember telling Cynical that the necks he drew stretched out too far and that the tail curves aren't smooth. You should fix those, if you get a chance. I think that Altaria should have a flying sprite.

I haven't seen a definitive version of Lopunny that I really like (same with Sableye, although the gem should be opaque, and its whole face should show), and while it would be nice if the Primals could be made larger than normal, I don't want to worry about that right now. That should be about it since I last commented on things, ten p/ages ago.

It's been so long but if you'd like to have a chuckle or an interesting read, check this out: http://pastebin.com/4zRGCmDz (maybe PG-13)

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
But... Libre chu was originally a vanilla Pikachu sprite... As was all the other Pikachu I made... ALL MY WORK HAS GONE TO WASTE. I'm gonna cry now, thanks a lot.

Whatever I bet I can construct a better Libre and Pop over the weekend perhaps belle too.

Also for sableye I have been trying to make it opaque but I think constructing it this way was easier and get back to it later.

Edit: oh god my live stream. We seriously need to have a stream that random like that again.
It was fun.

Edit2: I call dibs on both Mega Pidgeot and Mega Beedrill

Last edited:
I'm gonna work on a new Mega Salamence sprite based off of the image posted by Ridaz, just making note on that. When I have a draft, I'll update this post and then keep on updating it.

Huzzah.
Mega-Alakazam

New

Old

• Gave the face more definition (The current one's face looked dull to me)
  • Color likened to Gen V Alakazam's palette
  • Beard makeover!
  • Restructured the spoons and shaded it in a way that shows its concavity

Mega-Gengar
Front
Back

(The purple-pink gradient was darkened in the back so the transition from the shadow to the pink-purple gradient is smoother)
New

Old

• Back spike makeover! (Again, thanks for axl for providing the arrangement for the spike formation. I'm sure I got that one right this time...and it's loooooong overdue)
  • Miniscule edits on the spikes on the front sprite

Mega-Medicham

New

Old

• Additional shading to the floating bandages to give it more depth
  • Outline of the leg up (back) extend more to the left
...as suggested by Layell but I decided to forgo the proposed palette because the outcome of the shading looked too "harsh" for me. If still disapproved -well, the colors that is- I'm going to tinker around with reduced color palettes to use. Also, I'm sure that the palette is within the 15-color limit now. ;u;

As always, comments and suggestions are welcomed~

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
...as suggested by Layell but I decided to forgo the proposed palette because the outcome of the shading looked too "harsh" for me. If still disapproved -well, the colors that is- I'm going to tinker around with reduced color palettes to use. Also, I'm sure that the palette is within the 15-color limit now. ;u;
I did it for the shiny you silly boy.

Your gengar and ala both have stray pixels, I'll leave it up to you if you want to do their shiny checks as well. I'll certainly need one for Gengar later but it looks like it ought to be fine.

Regarding ala palette, normally I'd agree on the same, but the colour difference is rather huge:

>

I guess going mega isn't so saturating of a time??? I might insist on a softer one. Otherwise good stuff

Speaking of shiny fixing in general I did this last night before heading out:

Still kind of amazed this made it as a 15 colour sprite, although I still have a few edits to make on it in general.

EDIT: More of some megas, should probably get them all shiny anyways on PS since it's been about a year now lol

only small edits now, but seeing these as shiny will be leading to more edits when I have time.

Last edited:
I think we need to redo Vivillon. I know we've gotten far with it, but its sprite has been bothering me for some time now.

I put it in the style square or what I think was a gift from....someone who I don't remember, but it clearly has something that makes it different. One of them is style/shading. That needs some tidying up especially at the body, and the body also should just be redone. It's wings also should be a little bigger.

Also:

We should use the top left sprite for Gallade's Mega.

Hey,
So I know that Mega Salamence is beeing worked on already, but I saw Ridaz's image and decided to make some wings based off of that.
I just took the BW Salamence and changed the wings, so that's why you're seeing its body, because the mega evo between the two are mainly aesthetic imo.

Anyway here they are:

Front:

Back:

Please bear in mind that these were my first sprites. EVER. So it might be a little rough around the edges.
Also, I was wondering if anyone knew how to get rid of transparent background in MS paint. I have no idea and it's really annoying.

Any questions, comments, and/or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Also:

We should use the top left sprite for Gallade's Mega.
I do believe aXl is already going to work on Mega Gallade all by himself and he's been really intent on making it, so I'm certain he knows what to do with it. On another note, Mega Gallade has its left arm to the front, not the right arm.

Hey,
So I know that Mega Salamence is beeing worked on already, but I saw Ridaz's image and decided to make some wings based off of that.
I just took the BW Salamence and changed the wings, so that's why you're seeing its body, because the mega evo between the two are mainly aesthetic imo.

Anyway here they are:

Front:

Back:

Please bear in mind that these were my first sprites. EVER. So it might be a little rough around the edges.
Also, I was wondering if anyone knew how to get rid of transparent background in MS paint. I have no idea and it's really annoying.

Any questions, comments, and/or feedback would be greatly appreciated!
You've done a good job on the sprite, but I'm just gonna tell you right away I'm making the complete sprite from scratch all by myself. Still, pretty good job.

I do believe aXl is already going to work on Mega Gallade all by himself and he's been really intent on making it, so I'm certain he knows what to do with it. On another note, Mega Gallade has its left arm to the front, not the right arm.

You've done a good job on the sprite, but I'm just gonna tell you right away I'm making the complete sprite from scratch all by myself. Still, pretty good job.
Thanks!
If you want to use those wings feel free.

Snivy101, your suggestions are never particularly helpful. Instead of haranguing busy people, you could take a shot at your own quality control now and then. There are many others here who are willing to lend a hand, and while not everyone is at the same skill level, we appreciate the effort.

In February, Legitimate Username (rightfully) chewed you out for fussing about revising Garchomp and Lucario, which are of the lowest priority. This is one example of the kind of posts we don't appreciate, and you've made many of them.

Vivillon is on aXl's to-do list. Kyuzeth is right.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
First of all Stream time. making Mega Beedrill and Mega Piedgot fixing my pikachus. Feel free to come and give feedback.
Second of all I got a new deviant art and will start uploading some of the sprites there.

Edit: I hope you guys actually come a lot more for this one, as I'm gonna need help with this more customizable from scratch Pokemon.
upload_2014-10-11_20-10-40.png

Here's what I have so far, please note that this is just a draft, and I stopped cause I wanted to get working on more things. More updates either later tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)