Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

the hype is real
Mega Gallade

Yeah so have a backsprite +shinies, which Kyuzeth helped me with over on DA. I have no idea why the head fin was made to be black on the shiny, but w/e.

Anyways, the backsprite was designed using the frontsprite as a base. The legs and front arm were moved to better fit the new pose, while the capes were generally enlarged due to foreshortening. Face was influenced by the existing Gallade sprites, similar to how I made the front's.

Mega Gallade should be just about wrapped up by this point, so now I just need to decide what to work on next. I have a few ideas to work with, so it should be interesting to say the least. (and it won't be ORAS-based I swear PoM)

Sláinte!

(and it won't be ORAS-based I swear PoM)
YESSS

The official ORAS site talks about the "iridescent sheen" on Mega Altaria, so the pinkness is canonical. It might be better to limit it as an accent around the bottom edges, though. Kyuzeth Avoid getting too caught up with details on Salamence. Feel free to start the back sprite, and we can always return to the front sprite later.

PSA: Let it be known that for my upcoming birthday this week, Layell gave me two dozen roses and fine chocolates and took me to see an official screening of Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction (event details here). ♥

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
The official ORAS site talks about the "iridescent sheen" on Mega Altaria, so the pinkness is canonical. It might be better to limit it as an accent around the bottom edges, though.
Gonna have to agree with it being an accent. As shown in its artwork it goes from white to grayish-blue as normal shading then pink as a high light.
the hype is real
Mega Gallade

Yeah so have a backsprite +shinies, which Kyuzeth helped me with over on DA. I have no idea why the head fin was made to be black on the shiny, but w/e.

Anyways, the backsprite was designed using the frontsprite as a base. The legs and front arm were moved to better fit the new pose, while the capes were generally enlarged due to foreshortening. Face was influenced by the existing Gallade sprites, similar to how I made the front's.

Mega Gallade should be just about wrapped up by this point, so now I just need to decide what to work on next. I have a few ideas to work with, so it should be interesting to say the least. (and it won't be ORAS-based I swear PoM)

Sláinte!
This looks fantastic man! Although you said the gray on shiny was made to be black, however I think it should be a lighter shade of gray. I could be wrong but it looks odd from my view. I think more shading could be done too, other than that I don't think there is anything that needs to be adressed.

BTW: Happy B-Day PoM have a nice week :)

For first. I want thank you for your project. I am Ksiazek Bartlomiej from Pokemon Community. And I want ask you for able to use your project into my project of remade them to 64x64. And as something from me to this project. I present Beta Version of Mega Metagross backsprite.

I take colours from existing here sprite of Mega Metagross. I know that it needs more improvement. But now it looks nice. I hope that you like it.

Also I want thank you for all your works. I use your Mega Pokemon Sprites into my project called Pokemon Ruby Renev where I add Megas. Even some of ORAS one. Now I adding to them cries. All graphics was made great. Featured upper backsprite is on my project. If you want it. I can share Beta 4,5 of them here.
(I give credits to Smoogon University and creators of Sprites.)

Last edited:

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Okay, since this thread has been dead for about 6 except for those two posts. I'm going to say my next few mini projects.
  • Add shading on Cloud Bird to make it more like it's artwork.
  • Resize Pikachu Belle.
  • Fix parts on Primal Kyorge and make him Shiny.
  • Mega Loppuny Backsprite and possible rare animation sprite.
  • Make the others shiny if mostly done (Pidegot, mostly everyone seems done or not finished).

I think what's left after those is Mega Ray and Mega Sableye. I assume once those are done we can carry on to the shinies

4 more days till ORAS, again expect me to be gone during that time.
Also note that I am having a hard time in school, so if I am gone longer than a week expect me to be working on school projects.
Edit: crossed off first item on list. Cause of this
upload_2014-11-17_17-41-49.png
I honestly tried a more accurate transition from the gray to pink. But what was done makes it look more like how it was supposed to be. Still having trouble with some fixes but no worries, I'll fix some of those shadings on my own time.

Edit 2:
upload_2014-11-19_17-36-59.png
I had to change colors everal times, but other than having to do that, I think it should be alright. PM me quote if you find any problems.

Attachments

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yo aXl

finally adding your gallade (hi crash) that white highlight on horns is weird I'm killing it, maybe a shade brighter on green cape parts for back??? Also back and shiny are not the same slight changes at cape.

TrainerSplash UPDATES ARE GOOD FOR THE SOUL
MALAMAR
(New on top.)

This guy was actually surprisingly fun to work on. Maybe its because I sympathize with his FABULOUS hair tentacles. Or maybe its Maybelline.

Anyway, onto the changes.
+New tentacle hair based more off of Malamar's ingame model rather than the Sugimori art that looked like an uprooted tree.
+Body now properly slimmed and not fat just like a squid should be
+EVERYONE GETS A COLOR EDIT
+Dark purple on chest now better transitions into the tentacles.
+Face looks less strained because Malamar is one chill dude
+Lines separating blue and teal on the tentacles has been erased in all cases, because damn, the head's already confusing enough without more outlines
-Played with the light dots a bit, might play with them more on the front later
+General proportion and outline tinkering

Feel free to post comments about how it's hair looked better before and other such viable criticisms, but trust me, new hair is fab and fab hair beats bad-hair-day hair in my book.
Layell I'll fix it tomorrow/next Tuesday when I go to work in the printlab, no biggie.

Off to eat and work on final project, will come back to talk when I inevitably get bored of working on final project. In the mean time, sláinte! +)

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Since Layell likes to make me work Kyogre is over the limit I'm gonna redo him some more.
On stream of course :3 With ORAS music cause it needs it.
Also thanks for those models justinjiaxinghu,those will help.
BTW aXl shown me Malamar before any of you >:D SplashIsSpecial.exe

BTW aXl shown me Malamar before any of you >:D SplashIsSpecial.exe
Unless aXl showed you the front before 2:19 am on November 19th, then no, you're not special.

Malamar looks great; despite what I said over Skype, I probably don't care enough to ask for any more major changes. If you're curious to see how this guy originally looked, feel free to check page two of this thread. I'll make a few minor adjustments eventually, but alas I have finance homework, then this weekend is Alpha Sapphire weekend >_>

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
MALAMAR
(New on top.)

This guy was actually surprisingly fun to work on. Maybe its because I sympathize with his FABULOUS hair tentacles. Or maybe its Maybelline.

+New tentacle hair based more off of Malamar's ingame model rather than the Sugimori art that looked like an uprooted tree.
+Lines separating blue and teal on the tentacles has been erased in all cases, because damn, the head's already confusing enough without more outlines

Feel free to post comments about how it's hair looked better before and other such viable criticisms, but trust me, new hair is fab and fab hair beats bad-hair-day hair in my book.
Layell I'll fix it tomorrow/next Tuesday when I go to work in the printlab, no biggie.

Off to eat and work on final project, will come back to talk when I inevitably get bored of working on final project. In the mean time, sláinte! +)
TIME FOR MY LEGIT FEEDBACK BEFORE I GIVE A FULL UPDATE ON KYOGRE

Although you did say they should still be edited more, they should by themselves on the back, having that light purple around it makes it look odd an ungly at least from my point of view. outline looks odd on the chest too looks too bright on my view. I really like that new hairstyle.

Unless aXl showed you the front before 2:19 am on November 19th, then no, you're not special.

Malamar looks great; despite what I said over Skype, I probably don't care enough to ask for any more major changes. If you're curious to see how this guy originally looked, feel free to check page two of this thread. I'll make a few minor adjustments eventually, but alas I have finance homework, then this weekend is Alpha Sapphire weekend >_>
Well, there goes my specialness >:U do I have the right to cry now?
Edit: realized it was before 2:19 (hooray I officially suck at reading) I'm special again.

Kyogre will be posted in the next few weeks, this is what I have so far and yes this a fully new sprite and I am making close the original primal as possible. just thought it would be easier if I did it from scratch.
upload_2014-11-20_21-25-25.png

I swear to god if I made this over the limit again I'm gonna injure myself ;-;

MALAMAR
(New on top.)

aXL, I love what you did with Malamar here, but there was always one little nitpick that always threw me off in both the first sprite and yours, and that is the shape of the "feet". In-game, Malamar descends from -literally- closing its "feet" together to resemble a combined fin, much like that of Inkay's, so I'd have expected the bottoms of the "feet" to be much more linear than how they are. It's just a thought from me; overall, the sprite looks excellent. It'll probably be a pain in the ass to animate, but we won't know 'til we get there, now won't we? *sarcastic laugh*

Anyway, no MegaTar update from me YET. Big guy's getting reconstructed bit by bit; it won't look as great as the almighty aXL's, so I'mma leave it at that. I'm a rookie, and the college crap ain't really giving me much wiggle room to -do what I like-, but I'm alright as long as I'm making progress. The first draft won't be the pint-sized Mega Pinsir I posted in my earlier posts... Don't worry! It won't! I will, however, give you the schematics of my future mega godzilla:

[*] Recreate the pose as the current BW Base Tyranitar with a less crooked head, despite it being a direct reference to the GS Sugimori art. (considered, but thought of as lazy work; wanted to be more creative since I practically love the damn thing)

[*] Give it a pose similar to that of its early DP recreation: standing to the side with its head cocked toward the opponent, mouth closed during the idle and open during the rare animation (possibly). (this pose was something I've visualized for a while now, but never so much as considered... considering--so to speak--that the DP poses were more dynamic in comparison)

[*] Take a tip from aXL in terms of Mega Aggron and attempt to recreate its pose from XY's 3D model at a relative angle. (I saw that the Mega Aggron sprite was rather successful, so I may give it a try if it doesn't make it stand out as much.

As you can -clearly- see, I've been brainstorming. I will admit that my creativity's been dulled over the past few weeks... haven't been practicing as much as I've wanted to; so if I'm not bombarded with the family crap over this Thanksgiving break, I'll hopefully have a -decent- rough draft done and ready to submit.

Until then, toodle-oo! Splash, you're a puppet if you need someone else's permission to do something you can do on your own. Just sayin'; PoM, you can hate me for it. This project ain't been turned to ashes yet, and with enough commitment, we can finish this project while at the same time balance this with our key priorities and loves in life. Though I may sound like a hypocrite because of the lack of work I put into this, I make this statement knowing this is a volunteer project, and people are going to hit and run most of the time, as has been the case in the early stages of this project in general. Don't expect anything great from me, either; I've said it numerous times and will say again: I'm a rookie.

Again I say, toodle-oo!... this time...

EDIT: I hope y'all got that point I made there about working on MegaTar instead of spending countless hours on Omega Ruby; and if you think contributing to a volunteer project over that is a stupid idea, then you need to get your head out of your ass and realize that this project ain't gon' last forever and that this takes a lot more commitment than sitting on your ass pushing the same buttons to progress through a game. If you ain't one of those people, disregard this message; otherwise, I strongly encourage you to get your life back on track. Real shit.

Last edited:
Man, haven't you seen The Dark Knight Rises...?
Welcome to the boring life of Tyrell Duain Samuel-Barnes. No--TV's never been my thing, I rarely attend to a movie theater, and my free time is spent on jogging around town, coding, talking about logical crap, dreaming, wondering why my life is so boring, and drawing.

EDIT: Anyway, last message of the day, so I'mma hop my ass in the bed and get ready for another hell-filled day in college tomorrow, so toodle-oo, y'all!

Last edited:
hey are you guys still in need of any oras stuff? I'd say I'm a pretty good spriter I have a reference of a mega altaria I did a few months ago if it gives you an idea of what I can do

it's resized for my tumblr

my art tag is here if want more reference I mainly do pixel art but I'm still pretty good at spriting

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
I plan to make a Hoopa form in the future, I asked Layell awhile ago if we need one and it seems that we are in no rush for him.

As if aXl never gave sneak peeks to Kyuzeth or myself in the past over Skype/deviantART or anything :p
well... well... I have no reply to say anything back to this. You win this war >:(

Splash, you're a puppet if you need someone else's permission to do something you can do on your own.
I have no clue what you are talking about, if this is what I said about the "do I have the right to cry now?" it was a joke and I'm pretty sure Princess knew it was a joke too. If that was confusing I apologize (I'm not even sure if you were serious with this either >_<).

Hey look, I'm back from the dead! Kinda. My semester is almost over, which may mean some more time for sprite work. Anyways, something I really wanted to take a stab at was Mega Beedrill:

I took the current Mega Beedrill and tried to really define its body more, especially its abdomen. Currently, the sprite is much more bulky than Beedrill is normally, but considering Mega Beedrill is 4'07'' and to put that into perspective, that's the size of Pokemon like Nidoking and Probopass. I'm going to try and size down this Mega Beedrill a tad bit more, but I feel that it is currently within an acceptable range. M. Beedrill's stingers need a bit of a tune up as well.

Additionally, I really like Stalagmite's Mega Altaria's tail, so I wanted to see how it might look on the current Mega Altaria we have.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
that new Altraria it's looking so lovely ~

I honestly don't like how our Beedrill in general looks, idk it's just me Antennas and eyes could be skinnier, maybe bigger hand needles. Other than that it looks nice. As I said before the Beedrill doesn't look nice to me, then again I don't think Mega Beedrill's design in game was very nice to begin with.

Delay on kyogre expect a stream for it tomorrow.
Edit:
upload_2014-12-1_19-28-9.png
Front is almost done to the point where I can make the shiny. Backsprite still being done. I plan to finish up these after backsprite is done.

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

yeah cannot say I am happy with pink fingers here but what do I know about design I only took university courses in it.

I will return to this regarding some other matters like the regulars blue shading and such but for now pink fingers have them.

TrainerSplash just a little nitpick, but the positioning of P-Kyogre seems to shift between the front and the back sprites. On the front it looks like it's diving but on the back it looks like it's coming up for air.

Or something.

TrainerSplash just a little nitpick, but the positioning of P-Kyogre seems to shift between the front and the back sprites. On the front it looks like it's diving but on the back it looks like it's coming up for air.

Or something.
Stuff like that happens on occasion.

It's basically because if they didn't edit the pose, it'd look like the Pokemon is just straight-up getting a face-full of concrete instead of facing down its opponent during wifi. Its also beneficial because some Pokemon are designed with their ventral side in mind, and these pose shifts ensure that the ventral side is what is prominently on display from both angles, such as Avalugg, a Pokemon I consciously chose to sprite in such a way awhile ago, simply because its flat-top is a key feature in its design.

So it really isn't much to worry about for all intents and purposes. Thanks for the critique for sure, and I hope this clears things up. +)

EDIT princessofmusic

believe me, I know

Last edited:

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
First of all aXl nailed it down, that's just how some work. Also the new primal Kyogre backsprite hasn't even started being made yet, (I'm lazy okay D:) so don't even worry about it. I'll get to work on sometime this week, or when Layell fixes the colors.

The one thing I'm worried about, is that if we should keep his skin that purple hue. The box art and official art work seem to make it a purple like it is now. Pokemon Channel/Dream World/Center art have it as a dark almost navy blue. In game Primal Kyogre is a metallic more shiny color of its normal coloring.

Mega Ray is metallic too, not sure if that will change anything. I know nothing about P Groudon, Sapphire Fan for life B) I'll look at the models more when I play again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)