Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

The one thing I'm worried about, is that if we should keep his skin that purple hue. The box art and official art work seem to make it a purple like it is now. Pokemon Channel/Dream World/Center art have it as a dark almost navy blue. In game Primal Kyogre is a metallic more shiny color of its normal coloring.

Mega Ray is metallic too, not sure if that will change anything. I know nothing about P Groudon, Sapphire Fan for life B) I'll look at the models more when I play again.
Having played Omega Ruby, I can confirm Primal Groudon's skin to have a similar metallic shine to it as Primal Kyogre and Mega Rayquaza's bodies. I personally think the colors on the Primal Groudon sprite are really off; way too pale and dark. The red is much brighter on Primal than regular Groudon and more of a magenta-red than red-red, to put it very basically.
Additionally, the tail retains its overall thickness instead of becoming thinner nearing the tip, is much longer on Primal and the black spikes turn longer the more they progress to the back.

Last edited:

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Having played Omega Ruby, I can confirm Primal Groudon's skin to have a similar metallic shine to it as Primal Kyogre and Mega Rayquaza's bodies. I personally think the colors on the Primal Groudon sprite are really off; way too pale and dark. The red is much brighter on Primal than regular Groudon and more of a magenta-red than red-red, to put it very basically.
Additionally, the tail retains its overall thickness instead of becoming thinner nearing the tip, is much longer on Primal and the black spikes turn longer the more they progress to the back.
Tail wasn't thickened, I think I tried making the spikes longer before but I have no idea what happened to it.

I swear if we try to make it look metallic it will mess with the colors.

It's been about a month since I last posted any sort of sprite. Class would be responsible for that, and incidentally, I should be studying for another exam I have tomorrow afternoon. But instead, I'm procrastinating like an awful person.

binky-timeline.png

Anyhow, here's something to commemorate the fact that I got my ladybug one year and a day ago. The timeline spans from November 2013 to July 2014. I constantly sought the answer as to why the sprite seemed off and realized that the white fluff had to be much closer to the eyes and the ears were the wrong shape. Also note the slight adjustments in colour.

For further comparison, feel free to check out my old Flabébé from October 2013 and the new ones I made in September (11 months' difference, ughh)

Tail wasn't thickened, I think I tried making the spikes longer before but I have no idea what happened to it.

I swear if we try to make it look metallic it will mess with the colors.
Groudon's tail becomes slimmer as it advances to the tip, while Primal Groudon's retains the same width throughout and is much longer. Guess it's just a matter of phrasing things more clearly, but a Dex view should make things completely clear. I may provide screenshots at a later point.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Groudon's tail becomes slimmer as it advances to the tip, while Primal Groudon's retains the same width throughout and is much longer. Guess it's just a matter of phrasing things more clearly, but a Dex view should make things completely clear. I may provide screenshots at a later point.
it's how it's angled, I see what you mean though I'll see if I can fix it, right now, it's not my concern, color on groudon and kyogre is what's bothering me. PLaning on fixing that damn sableye backsprite too. Kyogre first... kyogre first

Holy shit I never got this much alerts in one day from this thread

Edit: I'll just put this here for now
upload_2014-12-4_21-47-56.png
too lazy to finish now

Last edited:
I've been messing with some Kalos 'mons for quite a long while now. First semester is over and break started for me like 2 weeks ago and it'll end on January 5. As you can see, I have all the time in the world to be more active again and sprite like mad. Well, here's what I've done so far.

Slurpuff

(NEW)
(OLD)

(NEW)
(OLD)

Decreased the size as suggested on the to-do list and made adjustments to the face accordingly.

Swirlix

(NEW)
(OLD)

(NEW)
(OLD)

Well, pom asked me to do Swirlix as well so...ta-daaa. Sprite was reworked to be consistent with Slurpuff's new styling.

Vivillon

(NEW)
(OLD)

The original body size of the sprite gave little room for the features to be clearly defined; overall, it looked "crammed" and unrefined, save for the wings which were good. And so, an increase in size was a simple enough of a solution to maximize Vivillon's features. Now the face and the body looks more cleaner and readable. Wings were enlarged to go with the resize.

- - -

Updates on my last ones~

These are just color edits and shiny additions. On a related note, thanks to Layell for teaching me his ways of exterminating strays. (rhyme not intended)

Mega Alakazam

Mega Gengar

As always, comments and suggestions are welcomed!

Last edited:
I'm no artist but Vivillon seems fucking massive
Let's take a look at Vivillon compared to Butterfree for a moment:

Butterfree is 3'07'', whereas Vivillon is 3'11'', which is the same size that Fearow is. Wobble's Vivillon is slightly shorter than Fearow is, meaning that Vivillon's size is appropriate (at least in my opinion). Additionally, since Vivillon's main gimmick is to flaunt its wings, its sprite should naturally display a large wingspan to reflect the beauty of its pattern(s). I'd say Vivillon's size is justified.

Ok, (Is this post long overdue?) Lot of things getting in my schedule, like projects, Destiny, Thanksgiving, and me being unable to post on my schools CPU, but I have done some edits to M-Steelix front almost finished the back, started the shiny, and started on shiny mega rayquaza

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
upload_2014-12-5_19-0-10.png
merry Christmas, this is finally done.. I really have nothing to say other than it was a simple recolor and paint job. lines on the back was base from the original but it was heavily modified. based off the original and used several of the same parts, however everything was from scratch on a recolored kyogre sprite.

Hiya! I've been doing some changes to Pikachu Ph.D, just some minor changes etc.

CHANGES
• Changed the shirt color from a darker forest green to a lighter yellow-greenish color.
• Shortened the bridge of the glasses and made the left lens from 2x2 to 3x3 tiles (looks good? or was the last version better?)
• Added the best spiral pattern I could make up on the lens (any suggestions?)
• Made collar a lot more visible and less chaotic
• Made the top left line of the tail fully gray because the stray yellow line annoyed me (anyone else?)
• Changed up the hat on top
• Minor changes to the hair

CONSIDERATIONS
I'm considering adding a little bit of Ph.D's braids on the front sprite (not too much, I'm afraid it'll look too odd), any thoughts or advice on applying it?

TO DO
• Possibly add braid to the front sprite
• Make backsprite match the frontsprites new features
• Make mouth look more like this.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Last edited:

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Hiya! I've been doing some changes to Pikachu Ph.D, just some minor changes etc.

CHANGES
• Changed the shirt color from a darker forest green to a lighter yellow-greenish color.
• Shortened the bridge of the glasses and made the left lens from 2x2 to 3x3 tiles (looks good? or was the last version better?)
• Added the best spiral pattern I could make up on the lens (any suggestions?)
• Made collar a lot more visible and less chaotic
• Made the top left line of the tail fully gray because the stray yellow line annoyed me (anyone else?)
• Changed up the hat on top
• Minor changes to the hair

CONSIDERATIONS
I'm considering adding a little bit of Ph.D's braids on the front sprite (not too much, I'm afraid it'll look too odd), any thoughts or advice on applying it?

TO DO
• Possibly add braid to the front sprite
• Make backsprite match the frontsprites new features
• Make mouth look more like this.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

edit: Went ahead and did Mega Sharpedo's and Mega Slowbro's shiny formes. (not sure if we have those yet)
:(

(front sprite passes 15 colour limit, not sure what to do, i feel like i would shit up the shiny if i tried to conserve colors)
Pikachu looks nice, we already have Sharpedo and Slowbro

I return from my stint in the land of All Work and No ORAS!

I bring with me the sum total of all the spriting I have had time to do this past month and a half when not spending time on worksheets, projects or internship applications. all of it was done this afternoon

Old:

New:

Changes:
Adjusted the back fins now I have an in-game model to reference.
Added extra aerofoils. I still hate them.
Changed half the pose to something more dynamic and space-saving, based on the sugimori art which came out since I last worked on it.
Altered the colours and shading in order to make the green look more glossy, like it does in-game. Not entirely sure some of the shading changes work though...
Added yellow highlight to gems, to try and match sugimori art.
Made some minor palette sacrifices in order to cope with the shiny.
Added shiny palette.
Redid rough sketch for the back to match pose changes and in-game reference.

I don't suppose I could have a sample of all the backgrounds these sprites have to work with? The shading on the rune-tassle things works on some backgrounds and not others, so I might have to re-evaluate them.

-

Glad to see Shiny Camerupt requires no changes to work. Shiny Rockstar Pikachu might be an issue, but then we don't even know if it exists. It's almost certainly not obtainable.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ok WPS is amazing and his new sprite fixed my biggest issue of the tail fin thingies being right at the border of the sprite

I got off my lazy ass and am throwing in an update, if you don't see WPS' new ray it hasn't gone through, if it has and something else has not than maybe I missed it, maybe I'm not adding it for reasons. You may want to message me about that. I am tired right now, and haven't sprited in too long but I am thinking Mega Beedrill back might be a thing I will sprite, since I am the only one crazy enough to do it in the regular Beedrill style.

Just paused to look at those Mega Rayquaza sprites...damn those are good. One small thing I'm uncertain about though is their colour schemes - at least for the normal sprite. Seems to be a bit brighter than usual - not sure if the palette on M-Rayquaza is actually different but I've had a go at reworking it to be more in line with the normal palette:

Mega Rayquaza alterations.png

(and the two as separate sprites for update purposes if required)

384.png
384 (1).png

WPS your Mega Rayquaza sprites are so extremely glorious
Just
Seeing my all-time favorite with a sprite that great just makes me happy.

Regarding the colors: I feel like the original palettes chosen by WPS suit the sprite much better, as the reds on viper's sprite look a bit dull and don't quite stand out as much. I also like the gleamy, metallic feel of WPS's palettes more, since Mega Rayquaza has a gleaming hide like the Primals. Speaking of which, I may do a color update on Primal Groudon shortly.

I was gonna do groudon color swap >_< along with those tail and spike edits.
Oh, didn't know you were intending to do that. Go right ahead! I'll do any further updates if I see anything that needs to be altered when you're done, then.

Last edited:

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
I was gonna do groudon color swap >_< along with those tail and spike edits.Never, Kyzueth you can take the groudon, I edited some and have more plans later. but heres the real update.
Mega Lopunny
Old------Recolored----Finished
upload_2014-12-11_19-38-37.png

You guys, this obviously wasn't finished, how can you not notice it.
The recolored one was just as it applies, it was a colored version with mroe colores added to it, meaning more shades and changed eye color. the finished one was a legit edit, face makeover fully redone texture added to feet.

Edit: since kyzueth is handing groudon over to me I'll do those tonight I guess c:

Last edited:
Well, this college semester is officially over for me. Meaning more time for sprites!...Unless I act lazy over the entirety of winter break. But I at least have one thing to show for extra time:

It's not too much right now, really just bringing the back sprite back into the picture. The most major changes would be slight size adjustments, the addition of Altaria's new tail, and the pink highlights to the clouds. I'm not 100% satisfied with the back sprite, though that may be due to Mega Altaria just looking like a giant fluff of cotton candy with wings and a tail. Additional comments or QC would be welcomed.

Mega Lopunny
Old------Recolored----Finished
View attachment 31634
You guys, this obviously wasn't finished, how can you not notice it.
The recolored one was just as it applies, it was a colored version with mroe colores added to it, meaning more shades and changed eye color. the finished one was a legit edit, face makeover fully redone texture added to feet.
I'm liking the changes you've made with Mega Lopunny, though the eyes look a bit off to me. When zoomed in, they look fine, but it might be due to how dark they are in comparison to Lopunny's already dark brown fur; it sort of camouflages the eyes and makes them look like white specks. Apart from that, I like the shading you've added, in particular the darkening of the legs. If you plan on working on Lopunny further, I would suggest adding "Fluff" shading to Lopunny's tan bunches of fur. Not so much the arms, but the ear-pigtails and the feet.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Well, this college semester is officially over for me. Meaning more time for sprites!...Unless I act lazy over the entirety of winter break. But I at least have one thing to show for extra time:

It's not too much right now, really just bringing the back sprite back into the picture. The most major changes would be slight size adjustments, the addition of Altaria's new tail, and the pink highlights to the clouds. I'm not 100% satisfied with the back sprite, though that may be due to Mega Altaria just looking like a giant fluff of cotton candy with wings and a tail. Additional comments or QC would be welcomed.

I'm liking the changes you've made with Mega Lopunny, though the eyes look a bit off to me. When zoomed in, they look fine, but it might be due to how dark they are in comparison to Lopunny's already dark brown fur; it sort of camouflages the eyes and makes them look like white specks. Apart from that, I like the shading you've added, in particular the darkening of the legs. If you plan on working on Lopunny further, I would suggest adding "Fluff" shading to Lopunny's tan bunches of fur. Not so much the arms, but the ear-pigtails and the feet.
For altaria's back I sugest just adding a few outlines to make it look like its fluffy not some stale hard Cotten candy.

As for Loppuny (is it two ps or two ns? I keep forgetting) the eyes look like that, a weird dark triangle shape which is hard to do on a small area. Yeah cream colored shading could be added thanks for noticing that.

Groudon you are next i promise :<

Anyways small reminder I will not work sprites this week until after Friday due to mid term exams and things, after that I should be free until Christmas eve :)

I was waiting for someone to bump this to the next page.

---

Spriter Movie Night

When: Sunday, December 21st, 8:00 pm EST
Where: #xysprites on SynIRC
Movie: The Breakfast Club (1985)

The first spriter movie night was in August, celebrating the project's first anniversary. Shoutout to Layell, aXl, viperdk1, Legitimate Username, and Quanyails, who might remember the craziness that went on. Also invited were Branflakes325, Typhlito, Wobblebuns, and co-leader emeritus Wyverii, but they were no-shows. )': The film we screened was Les Misérables (2012).

A while ago, Typhlito asked me if Layell and I would put on a second movie night, open to the public this time. After much deliberation, the answer is yes! This event is open to everyone, whether or not you're a spriter or have contributed to the project. If you follow the project, we'd love to see you there. For those who haven't seen The Breakfast Club, it's a classic about getting over each other's differences to reach a common goal (aka the XY Sprite Project in a thematic nutshell). At worst, if no one else shows up, Layell and I get a free movie date at least, yay.

Rules:
  • Be on time. Arrive 5-10 minutes early if possible. Latecomers will simply get the short end of the stick, as the movie will have started without you.
  • Be respectful. Layell or I will kick and/or ban you if we feel that the channel would be better off without your presence. This means don't troll, flame, spam, etc.

That should be about it, and we're hoping for a considerable turnout. See you there! ♥

Layell, that link seriously helped tons with trying to get Mega Altaria's back sprite to look halfway decent:

I've re-positioned the angle Mega Altaria faces, emulating both how regular Altaria looks in B/W and how M. Altaria appears in the in-game model. I'm still not all that happy with the huge cloud on Altaria's back, though I've tried to make it appear more floofy. The tail here is simply a place holder until I work up the motivation to sprite a better looking tail for the back sprite. The same applies for the missing wing, although I know that'll be hell (I'm not all that good with curvy lines).

EDIT: Also, the movie night sounds fun! I'll try my best to make sure I don't forget.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)