Gen 6 XY Ubers team archive by Hack

XY Ubers team archive by Hack
and 1k post

Introduction
Hello everyone, I'm Hack and I will shamelessly steal Donkey's format for doing an archive of my better teams. With ORAS around the corner, the tier is going to be thrown around a lot and I doubt any of these builds will actually hold up without major revamps.

I feel that these teams had a big impact on many players around the ubers community. Just for reference ubers players that these teams have influenced (either by using them directly or just exchanged ideas with me) include Kebabe, Zolar, Steeljackal, Orch, Steve Angello, Malefic, Arsenal, Pistolero, Fireburn, Tomahawk to name a few. Handing them all out to should be helpful for everyone to get a fair view on how some XY Ubers teams looked like. I'm also going to briefly commentate my thoughts on the three main playstyles: offense, balance and stall to give further insight into the tier.

All teams are made after SPL5 and during 2014. Month of making are included in the individual description of each team below.

Offense
As many Ubers and even non-Ubers players alike obviously have figured out by now, offense was given many tools when the generation started. At the final phase of the meta, many of the more intuitive threats such as Xerneas, Ho-oh, Yveltal, Ekiller and Mewtwo are still going strong while offensive archetypes like Deoxys-S offense and sticky web are in my opinion very situational and has dropped in viability. An explanation for this is the resurgence of Giratina-O which is absolutely phenomenal vs suicide leads and the seemingly mindless spam offense that was fairly popular before and during SPL5.

Nowadays I tend to see and use much more bulkier styles of offense, often using mons like specs Kyogre, Kanga and the ever so amazing support Dialga.

The origin of this team predates back to right after SPL5 ended. I was definitely interested in the uprise of trap-turn (Gengar+Yveltal) teams so I decided to build my own. Ekiller+Xerneas+Mega Gengar forms a formidable and cheap offensive core that can possibly win any game while still checking a lot of stuff courtesy of Ekiller's priority, Gengar's speed and Xerneas bulk. Yveltal is the designated ground-check for the team, which is something that I personally find very important. It is the "turn" in the trap-turn core with Gengar and also pressures Klefki for a possible Xerneas sweep. Extra priority is a god-send for any offense. Zekrom is the scarfer of choice, it checks Kyogre and breaks down teams on the physical side together with Ekiller. Since most teams carry an immunity to electric that had to be removed, Zekrom showed its true colors late game where it could clean amazingly well with Bolt Strike. In fact, as far as I remember, Zekrom was often the last mon to step in and clean up which is a little bit strange considering I pack Xern/Ekiller.

Finally, my SR is put on a dedicated Deo-A lead that anti-leads Deo-S and generally packs a good punch should you opt to attack with it.

In the importable I have included the variant of the team that was used the most but changing sets to preference is encouraged depending on the setting.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-106536433 - Orch vs Dragonuser for a subforum tournament
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-135897657 - Kebabe vs Korby for Haruno's Uber tournament

Comments on the replays:
Orch was one of the more avid users of this team, or at least I could dig up replays of him using it. The first game shows how easy it is to put a balanced team busy by pressuring with multiple set-up sweepers. Xerneas, which had HP Fire would obviously have 6-0ed at turn 5 or so if it wasn't for a max roll crit. The Kebabe replay is pretty straightforward.

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psycho Boost
- Knock Off
- ExtremeSpeed

Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Outrage
- Sleep Talk
- Volt Switch

Arceus @ Life Orb
Ability: Multitype
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- ExtremeSpeed

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 104 HP / 28 Def / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Destiny Bond

Yveltal @ Black Glasses
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 72 Atk / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Mild Nature
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch

As many other players before me, I always liked spikes leads coming from lower tiers. Whether it'd be BW Cloyster, Froslass or custap Forretress there was always something very appealing about anti-leading and getting up many hazards instantly. Due to defog, XY hasn't been kind to spikes stack in general and the playstyle often takes a more bulky approach to wear down defog users gradually. But not this one. Greninja's fast taunt and access to toxic spikes provides just the momentum I need early game. Deoxys-S is a troublesome match up and forces me to use magic coat Giratina-O, which has worked out great so far. Support Dialga completes the more conservative part of the team by giving me another phazer, a SR user and a semi check to many important threats. The offensive trio of specs Kyogre+GeoXern+Ekiller operates as a collective unit to punish defogs. Kyogre should enter the field as often as possible to force switches- that way toxic spikes will be permanent and thus not as important to prevent from getting defoged. After securing the hazard game, it's all about getting the essential damage on checks for my sweepers. Nothing special really, just standard offensive plays. You will have to make a couple of solid plays sometimes to execute this, but it's overall pretty autopilot and combines offensive prowess with defensive safety due to the combination of Giratina-O and Dialga.

If toxic spikes aren't up there is a good chance sub GeoXern will be able to sweep this. Keeping Dialga healthy and playing carefully is the best bet in this match up. Darkrai is another mon that is hard to face. Lum Dialga or sleep talk on Kyogre can help but I usually focus on winning match ups against everything else instead. Big credits my buddy Damon who told me about the Greninja set first.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ubers-23779 - Hack vs Sprial Core in POCL
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-169370416 - Kebabe vs Malefic in Ubers Open

Comments on replays: Outplay in replay one. Do note that I have ditched sub Giratina-O (but it was hilariously fun I gotta admit). Kebabes game vs Malefic is trickier and I'm not quite sure how he won that but do watch it as I remember it to be quite the fight.

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt
- Shadow Sneak

Dialga @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Roar

Kyogre @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
EVs: 220 Atk / 248 Def / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Force
- Dragon Tail
- Magic Coat

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 104 HP / 28 Def / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Geomancy
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Arceus @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- ExtremeSpeed
- Shadow Claw

Big credit to Kebabe for hyping hypnosis Gengar as far back as pre-spl times. The big draw to the set isn't anything about synergizing with sweepers such as a icy wind Gengar would open up for a Zekrom clean. Instead, Gengar can become a win condition in almost any match ups should it get lucky enough. The strategy isn't as risky as it seems as Gengar can play normally most of the times. TTar+Exca+CB Ho-oh is one of my favorite combinations in the tier, here Ho-oh has a custom made physically defensive bias spread to give a little extra security vs Ekiller and Kanga while still retaining the ability to hit hard and absorb sleep. Whimscott makes up for the lack of fast taunt on Gengar, it often also gives my bigger threats chances to get in for free or it just annoys stuff by subseeding. A big mon vs offense and stall alike. Lastly, calm Waterceus is the least redundant Kyogre answer that could be used on this build since I wanted reliable defog as well.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ubers-27115 - Zolar vs Calloflochie in Ubers Open

Comments on replay:
All it looked like was an Exca sweep after Giratina-O was weakened.

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 192 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Roar

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 184 HP / 140 Atk / 160 Def / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Taunt
- Encore

Gengar @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Hypnosis
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Recover

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

As you may have noticed, I am not afraid of using Ho-oh, but I feel like Groudon is a mon that lacks on so many planes in the current meta. Maybe it's just me being permanently damaged from Blaziken rapes, but I do honestly not see the big draws to the Ho-oh+Groudon archetype. So here is another offensive Ho-oh build that just happens to not have Groudon support. Originally supposed to be my POCL finals team, the game was used in two variations in Ubers Open instead. Both revolve around many choice items, which is a little bit ironic since my last BW2 RMT had a similar theme. Specs Kyogre+CB Ho-oh breaks while scarf Xerneas cleans. Dialga is back again to just be the best support mon as always. Poisonceus is designated to remove hazards and check Xerneas while Sableye makes another appearance for its ability to make room for the wallbreakers and check certain offensive threats. On Zolar's variant, the underused thunder Gengar helps by bringing stallbreaking power in a different way, although it makes the team weaker to grounds. The team can have a tough match up against Kyogre so I'm always using timid nature on my own (on the Sableye variant I even use jolly cb Ho-oh to limit its impact).

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ubers-28130 - Zolar vs Steeljackal in Ubers Open
replay missing: Kebabe vs Steeljackal in Ubers Open

Comments on replays:
The speed creep on Ho-oh was wrong and that Kyogre should have been dead. Zolar eventually gets back in the game and manages to win. The other game was basically a match up win, where jolly Ho-oh ravaged a Gliscor early and opened up holes for Sableye to be king.

Dialga @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Draco Meteor
- Toxic
- Rest

Sableye @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Foul Play

Arceus-Poison @ Toxic Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Def / 24 SpD / 96 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

Kyogre @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 76 Atk / 248 SpA / 184 Spe
Mild Nature
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Megahorn
- Rock Slide
Dialga @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Roar

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Thunder
- Sludge Wave

Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
EVs: 184 HP / 140 Atk / 160 Def / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

Kyogre @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 72 Def / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Grass Knot
- Rock Slide
- Aromatherapy

Stall
Defog buffed stall by a fair bit. The obvious disadvantage of using Ubers stall in the past was the lack of reliable means to pressure hazard users and remove hazards. Walling stuff is almost impossible to do with hazard pressure, which lead to teams not actually needing significant wallbreaking power in the past. Of course Defog Arceus changed all this so much that techs were invented specifically to break these. Gothitelle, being the most notorious of these techs, is of course the bane of most stall teams. Other than that XY Ubers stall has many favorable match ups and players should not underestimate the power of defog Arceus+cleric.

In my experience building, watching and playing, staples on stall builds are Blissey, Tyranitar, Arceus-Grass, Ho-oh, Lando-T and Kyogre just to name a few.

This is one of my more famous teams I guess. Tyranitar stall was something I had already experimented a lot with during SPL, but I never felt it had what I was looking for. This team operates on a three man core with Ho-oh+Blissey+Arceus-Grass supported by a pursuiting TTar to remove Gengar at all costs. Exca goes with TTar sand as a win condition that also happens to check Xerneas. The true star of this team and metagame, Stalltwo, finishes off the build by giving it speed and stallbreaking power. It also checks some fundamental offensive threats like Ekiller and MMX which is needed for the core.

If you can justify specs Kyogre+Goth in a build then you know what to use to break this team.

There have been some adaptations to this team and the original one was build together with user Steve Angello, so big credits to him.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ubers-12720 - Hack vs HSA in POWC finals
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ubers-25267 - Hack vs Calloflochie in Ubers Open

Comments on replays:
zzz burn stall.

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Payback

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 52 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic

Mewtwo @ Leftovers
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psystrike
- Recover
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Arceus-Grass @ Meadow Plate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpD / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Defog
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Substitute
- Rock Slide

Sadly, this team never really got to play many important games. Aside my POCL win vs El Poeta (replay below), I never felt too confident playing around its inherent weakness to stall, which the primitive version of the team definitely had. These days I am using a more refined version that has Lugia instead of Ho-oh and croXern over scarfXern. Lugia gives me a lesser Kyogre weakness and a more reliable Ekiller check at the cost of being more weak to stalltwo. Below are importables for both versions.

Both teams play similarly, spread as much scald burns (or sacred fire with the Ho-oh variant) on toxic immunes and try to get up one or two layer toxic spikes with Tenta to wear the opposition down for a Eleceus/Xern sweep. It is often beneficial to let Eleceus take a burn against teams that lack ways to check it outside toxic spam, but it's always a matter of circumstance. Try keep Tenta burn free at all cost so it can maximize longevity. HO is the most problematic match up for the croXern+Lugia variant- playing Tenta and Lugia together in a correct manner will often win games against those teams.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ubers-20686 - Hack vs El Poeta in POCL

Comments on replay:
Unfortunately the only replay I got on this team in tour action. While this is the more primitive Ho-oh variant, you can clearly see how strong Tenta is vs spikes stack and Mega Gengar.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Def / 76 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Roost
- Knock Off

Lugia @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Aeroblast
- Toxic
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 236 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Protect

Kyogre @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar
- Scald

Arceus-Electric @ Zap Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Xerneas @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

Balance
The line between balance and bulky offense has always been hard to define- especially in ubers play where walls can pack a big punch and pure support mons still find ways onto offensive teams. Right now I would define balance as a team that doesn't necessarily need priority (as this is absolutely mandatory on offense) but still has enough offense presence to pose a threat of its own. Semantics aside, balance is very viable but has to be executed both correctly at the building table and when played to be good. Being status resilient is important, as well as having countermeasures to entry hazards. Hyper offense can often be a troublesome match up for balance, so a good revenge killer is often something I opt to use.

Some staples on my balanced builds are Ferrothorn, Kyogre, Kanga, Dialga, Arceus-Poison, Gliscor and of course Giratina-O.

During POWC, I got an idea for a balance core that was compressed to the max. It didn't work out but along the way I found out the absurd effectivity of SR+Roost Gliscor. Its status immunity and reliable recovery made it an almost full stop to the Groudon+Ho-oh+defog Arceus archetype. This team has a nice touch of what I like to use- scarf Xerneas is my favorite set in the meta etc. An underrated mon that rightfully earns a place on this team is Sableye. No mon can compress the utility I needed in this slot. Fast Taunt, anti lead, E-killer check are the obvious draws and burn spreading is so strong in general. It also counters stalltwo variants which is huge.

Sdef Palkia fills the role of a pure special tank which is the drawback of using two specially frail mons in Sab and Gliscor. To an extent Palkia can work as a CM Arceus check, which is something I like. Defog Poisonceus is excellent and provides a Xerneas check. Its weaknesses are covered neatly by Gliscor and Sableye. Kyogre provides me with a strong wallbreaker since a fast Taunt user and some status resilient walls isn't exactly a given win vs well built stall teams.

This team has very well rounded match-ups. The rise of Psyshock Xerneas is unfortunate but Xerneas is still manageable inspite of this. Vs HO the key is playing Xerneas, Sableye and Arceus-Poison correctly so that hazards are prevented and Xerneas gets as many free kills as possible (HO generally has few ways to handle scarf Xerneas). Gliscor and Kyogre truly shines against balance and the stall match up is all about using Kyogre, Sableye and Gliscor correctly and occasionally support important status ridden mons with Aromatherapy from Xerneas.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ubers-15139
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ubers-10033

Comments on replays:
I do acknowledge the misplays I made in the very close game against my friend Arsenal. Sableye+Palkia+Gliscor was practically a free win but I managed to to throw Sableye in a pointless attempt to prevent a Defog. The match comes down to a low damage roll which costs me the win (the Xerneas was Naive at the time so it had about a 70 % chance to KO his Mewtwo). However, I do think it's a nice example on how Gliscor can pressure any defog Arceus+Ho-oh core given Palkia's support.

Game 2 is the premiere game of the team, a POWC game against Spain. Gliscor shows what Lando-T can't do.

Sableye @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Recover

Kyogre @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Palkia @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Surf
- Rest
- Toxic
- Sleep Talk

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Toxic

Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Recover

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 76 Atk / 248 SpA / 184 Spe
Mild Nature
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Rock Slide
- Megahorn

Mostly famous for popularizing Heal Block Klefki, this is my Klefki team. It was built with big help from user Problems who came up with ideas such as LO lure Dialga to punish fairys MMX couldn't break. Big credits to this man. The team originally used the support Dialga+Klefki+Giratina-O core invented by Blimlax. It is one of the strongest standard cores out there, I just wanted to mention that. However, as I said, Dialga is LO here which mandated a stronger Kyogre check and I was building with Problems so Palkia it was. Electric Arceus helps me check birds and pose a threat offensively with Calm Mind.

I feel like Ferrothorn+Kyogre balance is by far the most threatening match up to this team, as shown in Kebabe's semi final loss in Ubers open.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ubers-20230 - Hack vs Elodin for POCL
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ubers-21383 - Hack vs Pidge for Ubers Open

Comments on replays:
The first replay is definitely the most interesting as it turned what was looking like a trapped Klefki into a murder machine. Heal Block Klefki definitely had some impact on the meta. Otherwise it's a very straightforward game where my opponent's strategy totally backfired and lead to an easy win. In a way I feel this game goes to show why Gothitelle teams aren't always as reliable as some people make them out to be. The other game is pretty straightforward as well and shows off MMX as a great late and mid game threat that forces reactive plays.

Dialga @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon

Klefki (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough
- Spikes
- Heal Block

EVs: 16 HP / 220 Atk / 252 Def / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Force
- Shadow Sneak

Mewtwo @ Mewtwonite X
EVs: 64 Atk / 192 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Taunt
- Ice Beam
- Psystrike
- Low Kick

Arceus-Electric @ Zap Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Calm Mind

Palkia @ Leftovers
EVs: 52 HP / 204 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave
- Spacial Rend
- Hydro Pump

What would my collection of my teams be without a collaboration between myself and my dearest friend Kebabe? This build is weird because I don't quite understand how it won so many games, but it did. SD Scizor was always interesting to me and I had seen many interesting attempts on a synergetic builds, especially from Edgar, who used popularized the set. Heatran+Scizor is amazing for covering the burn weakness Scizor has in a proactive way. Heatran is an interesting and underrated mon in the meta. While it doesn't check many offensive threats aside Rayquaza, it cockblocks stalltwo and support arceus which is just amazing. The core also makes me feel really safe going up against Xerneas… The most important holes to cover for these two mons together are Kyogre and Blaziken, which mandated Palkia and Lando-T on the build as those are the best checks to the aforementioned threats. Defog is obviously needed on a balanced team so Ghostceus finds its way onto this team by helping with that and also checking Ekiller. Scarf Xern is the last member and aside from revenge killing and checking Yveltal, it has some utility with aromatherapy.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ubers-21678
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-169357740

Comments on replays:
SD Scizor sweeps balance by weakening checks in the first replay. The second one is close and just overall shows how hard it is to beat the build (which could have happened shouldn't malefic have choked in the end).

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Protect
- Taunt

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Palkia @ Leftovers
EVs: 52 HP / 204 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spacial Rend
- Hydro Pump
- Rest
- Toxic

Arceus-Ghost @ Spooky Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Recover

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 76 HP / 248 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Toxic
- Focus Blast

If I would give myself a pat on the back and be like "hey this is my most solid effort" then this would be it. The team is a well rounded balance that uses the Ferro+sdef Kyogre pairing with a Giratina-O to check a multitude of big threats like Ekiller, CM Arceus, Xerneas and Mewtwo. Later comes my offensive core, which I'm quite fond of as I don't generally use GeoXern on balance. Here, I use the slightly unconventional aromatherapy to ensure that even in match ups against Aegislash, Xerneas will never be dead weight. Of course without means to hit Ho-oh and a Ferrothorn of my own, one would be surprised if the Arceus was anything but Rock. CM Arceus Rock is superb against sun teams and with the occasional cleric support Xerneas can give, I can often get multiple chances to pressure stall. In the last slot, Stalltwo-Y gives me a pseudo revenge killer, a true stallbreaker and a semi check to some threats that would pressure the core (think lustKia, Dialga).

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ubers-27114 - Zolar vs Calloflochie in Ubers Open
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ubers-28119 - Zolar vs Steelskitty in Ubers Open

Comments on replays:
5/9 chance to hit one out of two Shadow Forces vs Goth is fair enough in the first game while match up wins Zolar the first game of open finals.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar
- Scald

EVs: 220 Atk / 248 Def / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Force
- Dragon Tail
- Defog

Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Calm Mind

Mewtwo @ Mewtwonite Y
EVs: 248 HP / 80 SpD / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Psystrike
- Recover

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 176 HP / 28 Def / 252 SpA / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Aromatherapy
- Geomancy

Shoutouts
Kebabe
Zolar
Isa
Steelskitty
Edgar
Orch
Pistolero
Tomahawk
Blimlax
Steve Angello
Problems
Melee Mewtwo
Malefic
Arsenal
Fireburn
Blue Jay
Sweep
BKC
Dice
Donkey
#IDM
#scooters
#Arsenal Arcanines
and a lot of others I sadly missed...

Last edited:
the team i like the best is the dialga / kyogre / arceus-poison / xerneas / sableye / ho-oh team. it's built intelligently and it's nifty, although i really dislike having to use excessive 2 niche mons on one team typically, especially stall. that's mainly just a personal issue though and i still like the team. a lot of your teams have a nagging weakness to arceus-electric. summarily, the klefki, kyogre / gliscor / arceus-poison, and even heatran + sd sciz team could have problems with it. your lack of a true arc-ghost check on the heatran + sciz team irks me as well.

i used your sand team with gira-o > gengar when i first started playing ubers again around june and i disliked the redundancy between whimsicott's main niche of checking zekrom / xerneas with ho-oh and excadrill. it just felt very forced when i tried doing something similar.

ho-oh + blissey irritates me on your sand team since they both have the cm arc coverage and already having two xern "checks" with excadrill. i guess defensive ho-oh kinda lessens this, but the redundancy is still pretty prominent and makes me wonder if the build is effective as possible

your greninja team is built well but i do not agree on using spikes teams unless you use some ridiculously niche things.

similarly, i also always exclusively use arceus-rock and arceus-electric as yveltal checks themselves and as such do not pair them with fairy-types typically, so a similar contradistinction can be made.

overall i like some of your teams, but there are some others with some nagging weaks and some which i just don't agree with philosophy wise. thanks for sharing since this metagame was actually funner than expected and you were one of the few other people who had some good ideas as well.

Thanks for the feedback, most of this is definitely reasonable and you bring up different philosophic views. Teams 6, 7, 8 and 9 could be argued to have trouble with eleceus, but in reality only 6 and 8 are weak to it. the heatran team is filled with toxic spam and has stopped eleceus sweeps consistently many times mainly due to heatran itself. the poisonceus+gliscor+sableye team has sdef palkia which works as a deterrent. i have a replay of d4rr3n beating an arceus electric even when palkia was unable to toxic it: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-170406316. The reason for the weakness to eleceus in the other two builds is the fact that 8 was mainly there to show the team that populuraized heal block keys. I don't use the team often these days as it has a fair share of weaknesses. The Lugia stall is as I said, one of my borderline teams, and kinda got in here because I liked the concept more than the actual build. Both my eleceus weak teams are ironically my eleceus teams, which also means that I can at least force a CM war and a 50-50 chance to beat it which is honestly not that bad considering the circumstances.

Redundancy is key to stall and most of my balanced teams, this is a philosophic clash mainly but i feel like there is no problem having such things as blissey+ho-oh or arceus-rock+fairy as long as they have distinct individual niches. In the case of the cm rockceus+xern team, the pairing of those two mons has actually been the key to its success.

I feel Giratina-O on a sand offense was the main problem with your build. Not only did it become worn down by sand at times, but it gives your opponent more room with Xerneas which forces much more pressure onto your Ho-oh to switch into it. It also is toxic and burn prone, the former being a big problem for that build. You are right about the redunancy in defensive niches, but you are forgetting the offensive niche and synergy Whimsicott has with threats like CB Ho-oh, Gengar etc. That's a main draw of the team and although yours got a better Ekiller answer and a defoger that isn't a support Arceus.

Thanks for liking my ideas, and I fully agree with the last sentence.

Last edited:
Can't expect less from the best ubers trainer/teambuilder around, I myself learned a lot since I met you and there was absolutely no way I could have made it till here without you, the amount of work done by you is just amazing, as ORAS is on its way, hopefully, you'll do even better in it.

I haven't tried any of the above mentioned teams yet, though I do remember facing a few of them, the rock-Arceus+geoxern balance team probably is one of your solid teams ever as it holds a great record in tournaments, not much to say about the rest of the teams as everything seems solid.

I do have one last thing to say, I can't see goth in any of your teams, WTF...

PISTOLERO

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
It's really nice to see these teams in one place, like Astounded said getting to know you has been fantastic :). Thanks to you I have now fallen in love with Sand Drill, although I still prefer Choice Band Ho-Oh to Life Orb. I also remember more than one occasion of hearing things such as "CM Arceus-Rock is unviable" or "EQ-less Gliscor is stupid" which were clearly ploys to hide your intentions lmao.

I do have a couple of queries about EV spreads:

52 HP / 204 SpA / 252 Spe Timid Palkia
184 HP / 140 Atk / 160 Def / 24 Spe Adamant Ho-Oh
248 HP / 140 Def / 24 SpD / 96 Spe Jolly Arceus-Poison (I'm guessing to avoid a 2HKO from +2 Thunder after Stealth Rock damage?)
248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe Bold Lugia

On the team that runs Life Orb Stealth Rock Dialga, I recommend actually using Adamant Orb as the things you will be Fire Blasting get OHKOed even without the 30% Life Orb increase, and you do not lose 10% of your HP each turn. you can also bluff defensive sets if you're at full health. Running Timid on offensive Dialga works out quite nicely as you can set up Stealth Rock before Mild Yveltal Taunts you.

Dialga @ Adamant Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

Something else I tried on Life Orb lure Dialga was a moveset of Flash Cannon / Draco Meteor / Stone Edge / Fire Blast: 0- Atk Life Orb Dialga Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Ho-Oh: 432-510 (104 - 122.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO, which functions very nicely as a Ho-Oh lure if you need it. Of course this means forfeiting Stealth Rock, but it's still an interesting option in general :)

It was great fun suspect laddering with you and I look forward to many more arguments over the viability of Calm Mind Arceus-Poison, Quagsire and Amoongus in the future, as well as learning something new each time we talk! :)

Can't expect less from the best ubers trainer/teambuilder around, I myself learned a lot since I met you and there was absolutely no way I could have made it till here without you, the amount of work done by you is just amazing, as ORAS is on its way, hopefully, you'll do even better in it.

I haven't tried any of the above mentioned teams yet, though I do remember facing a few of them, the rock-Arceus+geoxern balance team probably is one of your solid teams ever as it holds a great record in tournaments, not much to say about the rest of the teams as everything seems solid.

I do have one last thing to say, I can't see goth in any of your teams, WTF...
I don't think I have explained my views on Goth that overly well to anyone actually... I do consider it a big threat in other match ups and dead weight in others. The user of the mon often takes a big gamble as Gothitelle is a slot that doesn't have any defensive synergy to speak of, overall resulting in a more strapped build. Personally I never use it because I feel I almost always need every slot for some defensive synergy, be it revenge killing, fast taunting, hazards or plain checking (I consider all those some form of defensive synergy that Gothitelle lacks). Thanks for the kind words yung lord.

ah i have got more teams to steal :].
Feel free to! Thank you

It's really nice to see these teams in one place, like Astounded said getting to know you has been fantastic :). Thanks to you I have now fallen in love with Sand Drill, although I still prefer Choice Band Ho-Oh to Life Orb. I also remember more than one occasion of hearing things such as "CM Arceus-Rock is unviable" or "EQ-less Gliscor is stupid" which were clearly ploys to hide your intentions lmao.

I do have a couple of queries about EV spreads:

52 HP / 204 SpA / 252 Spe Timid Palkia
184 HP / 140 Atk / 160 Def / 24 Spe Adamant Ho-Oh
248 HP / 140 Def / 24 SpD / 96 Spe Jolly Arceus-Poison (I'm guessing to avoid a 2HKO from +2 Thunder after Stealth Rock damage?)
248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe Bold Lugia

On the team that runs Life Orb Stealth Rock Dialga, I recommend actually using Adamant Orb as the things you will be Fire Blasting get OHKOed even without the 30% Life Orb increase, and you do not lose 10% of your HP each turn. you can also bluff defensive sets if you're at full health. Running Timid on offensive Dialga works out quite nicely as you can set up Stealth Rock before Mild Yveltal Taunts you.

Dialga @ Adamant Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

Something else I tried on Life Orb lure Dialga was a moveset of Flash Cannon / Draco Meteor / Stone Edge / Fire Blast: 0- Atk Life Orb Dialga Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Ho-Oh: 432-510 (104 - 122.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO, which functions very nicely as a Ho-Oh lure if you need it. Of course this means forfeiting Stealth Rock, but it's still an interesting option in general :)

It was great fun suspect laddering with you and I look forward to many more arguments over the viability of Calm Mind Arceus-Poison, Quagsire and Amoongus in the future, as well as learning something new each time we talk! :)
I don't think I ever thought CM Arceus-Rock was unviable, although the refresh variant is. EQ-less Gliscor is only stupid if you have mons that Blaziken can OHKO, which my team doesn't have. Actually I have warmed up to CB Ho-oh in this meta by now. It mainly is because it's bigger damage output that allows me to invest more in bulk while retaining firepower.

The EV spreads are as follows in your respective order:
1. No idea but I like extra HP to tank scarf Kyogre.
2. Very specialized. Caps off +2 Ekiller at 75 % max or something so I have a bit more health to spare. Rest goes into attack for power.
3. Speed for Palkia, sdef to avoid 2HKO from +2 Xern moonblast, allowing me to recover stall against some variants. Def is for psyshock, capping it at 75ish or something iirc.
4. Standard with speed creep.

I appreciate the input on Dialga, I might try it but I ultimately think the extra damage is worth the trade off. Fire Blasting switches becomes much stronger. With 2 Yveltal checks on the team I don't really think I wanna stay in vs it and eat Dark Pulse just to get SR up. No SR on the team is ofc not plausible either, the problem with offensive Dialga in general is its tendency to get stuck on support Arceus.

Thank you for the kind words!

Last edited:

PROBLEMS

AHEAD OF HIS TIME
First off, great teams Hack I personally really like your team building style and you've got a good grasp on how to build correctly and your knowledge of XY is obviously very high which shows within your team building especially in your balance teams I would say you're one of the top builders for balance. The team we made with Eleceus & Mew2 X is one of my favorites an just generally is a good example of a team which blossoms in the current metagame, you can also switch Gira-O for a defensive yveltal which I've found to be good in some cases but really its personal preference etc. Props to you for that greninja offensive/balance team I really like the idea behind it shame you've shared it as I'd like to have made some veriation on it but now XY is dying and ORAS is coming out we need to start building some clean Lord Squads, wish i had the dedication to do a thread like this but no for the foreseeable future haha.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
As far as the Palkia is concerned, might I recommend 60 HP > 52 HP? The extra HP is nice I agree, but I feel like if you are going to get as close to a Leftovers number as you are, why not go all the way to it?

Very fun and well built teams are here. I have been trying to use the fullest of the "make every moveslot and resistance contribute as much as possible" philosophy you express with all of these teams, although when fixing my older builds up in this way has proven very difficult. It definitely has helped them out though and I will continue to maintenance them like his until they have fulfilled that philosophy. Thanks for doing this, there are some pretty neat ideas that I haven't seen hardly at all and may rip for building some of my own teams in the future.

Also, I recall you experimenting with screens and offensive Groudon at one point, and I was wondering where that went?Did you feel like it wasn't good enough to post or did Blim blow it out of the water with his own screens HO team I have been seeing recently?

First off, great teams Hack I personally really like your team building style and you've got a good grasp on how to build correctly and your knowledge of XY is obviously very high which shows within your team building especially in your balance teams I would say you're one of the top builders for balance. The team we made with Eleceus & Mew2 X is one of my favorites an just generally is a good example of a team which blossoms in the current metagame, you can also switch Gira-O for a defensive yveltal which I've found to be good in some cases but really its personal preference etc. Props to you for that greninja offensive/balance team I really like the idea behind it shame you've shared it as I'd like to have made some veriation on it but now XY is dying and ORAS is coming out we need to start building some clean Lord Squads, wish i had the dedication to do a thread like this but no for the foreseeable future haha.
Thanks man, this means so much coming from you. There has been no player as influential to me as you when it comes to the mental part of the game, I wouldn't have been able to cope with pressure and stuff nearly as well as I can now. There isn't much other things to say than I agree with everything you said and that ORAS should be a nice fresh start where we can build some sick teams again mate.

As far as the Palkia is concerned, might I recommend 60 HP > 52 HP? The extra HP is nice I agree, but I feel like if you are going to get as close to a Leftovers number as you are, why not go all the way to it?

Very fun and well built teams are here. I have been trying to use the fullest of the "make every moveslot and resistance contribute as much as possible" philosophy you express with all of these teams, although when fixing my older builds up in this way has proven very difficult. It definitely has helped them out though and I will continue to maintenance them like his until they have fulfilled that philosophy. Thanks for doing this, there are some pretty neat ideas that I haven't seen hardly at all and may rip for building some of my own teams in the future.

Also, I recall you experimenting with screens and offensive Groudon at one point, and I was wondering where that went?Did you feel like it wasn't good enough to post or did Blim blow it out of the water with his own screens HO team I have been seeing recently?
Honestly I haven't thought much about that EV spread, me and Dice happened to use 52 HP during spl and I haven't really bothered delving further into it... sets and evs are just fluff to me compared to the overall structure of the mons. When you got a structure that works out, the sets that are optimal usually just happen to be obvious. Just a note from me since you all are maybe wondering how I choose sets/evs, so the answer is I don't really. I choose a structure and the spreads/sets come secondary.

I did experiment with Lum DD Don a lot during this generation, it's not a set that suits my playstyle. I don't like hyper offense- as you see even my offensive teams have respectable bulky cores- there are just so many ways those teams can lose, whether it'd be hax, low damage rolls, one mispredict etc. Blim's screen offense is definitely a timeless example of how it should look and I honestly don't see a lot of other variations of screens that work as well. Thanks for the compliments and questions dude!

Last edited:
Hello user Hack, nice archive. I like some of these teams (some of them are just not my style so yeah lol). Well there's not much I can say that hasn't been said before. You're one of my best friends and one of the best Ubers players and a superb teambuilder as well. A lot of people should take notes from these teams when they try to build a team as they are an example of how good XY Ubers teams should look like. It was very enjoyable to read and hopefully we build a lot more in ORAS.

Anyways, I would follow you in posting all of my masterpieces but I realized I have too many teams that I like and I just don't feel like posting them all, nor I have the required time to do so haha.

Very nice job!

Hack do u plan on adding more teams here??.
I sadly don't. With no relevant tours left to bring out the edge in my building, I wouldn't count on any teams I'd post from now on to be that great. What makes me build well is a strict deadline, without one, it's just too easy to never really be thorough enough.

Hello user Hack, nice archive. I like some of these teams (some of them are just not my style so yeah lol). Well there's not much I can say that hasn't been said before. You're one of my best friends and one of the best Ubers players and a superb teambuilder as well. A lot of people should take notes from these teams when they try to build a team as they are an example of how good XY Ubers teams should look like. It was very enjoyable to read and hopefully we build a lot more in ORAS.

Anyways, I would follow you in posting all of my masterpieces but I realized I have too many teams that I like and I just don't feel like posting them all, nor I have the required time to do so haha.

Very nice job!
Thanks Edgar, obviously means a lot coming from one of my best friends around here. That you are one of the best players and builders around here is just a bonus (and I know styles can clash but it's nice that you like some of the teams). Glad that the read was cool too.

We'll definitely get to spend even more time discussing ideas and stuff in ORAS, which I am looking forward too. Thanks again!

Hey Hack , you don't really know me but you've helped me out on occasion in the ubers room and have let me use some of your teams. I am really grateful for your teams as I not only really enjoyed using them but also got to learn the tier at a much higher level because of your well thought out and well made teams. Your teams helped me a lot during Ubers Open and I would have probably made it further but got haxed out in r5. Out of all the ubers players I really enjoyed your builds and it even got me into teambuilding at one point. Was really fun watching you rip it up in POCL and I wish you good luck in other future Events. Once again i'm very grateful for everything you've done and your much appreciated advice.

P.S : Just a small qualm, I noticed most people don't put 0 atk iv's on their special attackers atleast in pastebins, do you change this when you battle or do you not bother.

(Sorry this is a bit late)

Last edited:
Hey Hack , you don't really know me but you've helped me out on occasion in the ubers room and have let me use some of your teams. I am really grateful for your teams as I not only really enjoyed using them but also got to learn the tier at a much higher level because of your well thought out and well made teams. Your teams helped me a lot during Ubers Open and I would have probably made it further but got haxed out in r5. Out of all the ubers players I really enjoyed your builds and it even got me into teambuilding at one point. Was really fun watching you rip it up in POCL and I wish you good luck in other future Events. Once again i'm very grateful for everything you've done and your much appreciated advice.

P.S : Just a small qualm, I noticed most people don't put 0 atk iv's on their special attackers atleast in pastebins, do you change this when you battle or do you not bother.

(Sorry this is a bit late)
Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad Uber Open went well for you, though too bad you got haxed.

Regarding your small qualm, here is my explaination: When I build my teams I'm not overly concerned with small details, HP numbers, speed creeping and even sets sometimes are just fluff that makes me unfocused on the real task of putting together a synergetic builds in both defensive and offensive directions. This means the importables I have put up here are kinda "raw" - there is a lot of tweaking possible. I do heavy preparation for my opponents (usually), however, and that's where I focus on details such as specifying move choices, speed numbers etc. I essentially take one of my teams from my folder and polish it up before battle with a designated opponent. After that battle, I usually delete the tweaked version. Don't get me wrong, all importables here are fairly solid to use but when I play tournaments I do spend a little more time scouting to make sure all my sets and evs are optimal for the situation. It should kinda explain why some of the HP numbers and IVs can be a little bit off (especially concerning the 31 atk on special attackers).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)