XYUU Research Week #12 - Deadline Sunday

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Kitten Note: Mazz has retired until further notice, and he's given me control over the Research Week series until further notice. I'm happy to offer this to you guys in UU, and I can't wait to see what you guys will come up with! Most of the same rules will apply as did when Mazz had control of this series, but I may be adding some more tweaks in the future. For now though, good luck with Research Week everyone =)

Welcome, UUers and all those looking for an excellent comp. 'mons experience! A fresh tier means a fresh installment of Research Group!

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Group:
  • Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats, movepool, and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon I choose and / or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.
  • While there are rewards and this is a competition, please keep in mind that this is called research week. This doesn't mean you need to use ridiculous, unviable sets, but try and contribute to the discussion rather than just ladder.
A few things to clarify:
  • Early period means the first three days of the research week, so let's keep the theorymoning to a minimum after. The late period refers to the last four days of the research week, where raw evidence and discussion should become the basis of the thread.
  • Sign-ups can be as late as you want.
  • The prizes for Research Week have been decided; winning a research week will grant you half-ops on our IRC channel, #xyuu. Win five, and you get a nomination for a Community Contributor badge.
  • Do not post a ladder ranking. (read more about new scoring system below)

This Week's Research Pokemon:

Gothitelle / Tentacruel / Druddigon / Shuckle / Meloetta

How useful are these Pokemon in XYUU? What sets can they run effectively? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! It doesn't matter if you've used them or have just faced them in battle, anything is fine (but please, do try them). Just be sure to back up your posts with good competitive reasoning. Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #xyuu as well!

The Research Group Challenge:

In order to participate you must do the following:
  • Post here with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us!
The first stage of the challenge will be very relaxed so theorymon will be allowed as long as its backed up by good reasoning. During the later stage, discussion will be expected to be backed up by hard evidence, such as teams, actual sets, and logs. The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder on the alt they registered at the time the challenge ends. Prizes are currently being discussed with higher powers, so hang tight while I find something worth your guys' attention. Winners will also receive a permanent spot in the XYUU Hub Hall of Fame (once it exists).

To close, I'm going to address some of the minor changes to this thread that will occur as a result of me leading the thread instead of Mazz. Primarily, I'm going to make an effort (as requested by Meru and some others) to make sure that the pokes included in every installment of Research Week cover a wide variety of playstyles.

I'm also going to set in stone the end times for sign-up and clarify the way this is scored. Sign-ups are allowed at any point throughout the week. The end time for the "week" will be announced in the thread. I will personally look at the ladder and judge who has reached highest. Who wins will no longer be based on peaks or screenshots, but rather on the actual ladder at the time of the cut-off. This should dissuade laddercreeping and clogging up the thread with posts about getting 5 points higher than the other person (i totally did this like two weeks ago lol).

Moreover, I'm implementing a mandatory discussion in order to be considered as a winner of Research Week. If you do not post one somewhat-coherent post that describes the pokemon that you're using, their roles, and their niche in the metagame, you will be disqualified from winning this week. Please post about your experiences no matter if you think you've got a chance to win or not.

Finally, I'd like to implore you to all please remember to post and save your replays. Often, these replays are the most informative sources of information about RW pokemon - you can write a full two paragraphs about the role of a pokemon, but often that can all be summed up with a video and an explanation of it. Remember that discussion can occur throughout the week.

KM

slayification
A couple small things have changed since the last week.

1. I'll be announcing the end of the "week" in this thread (NOT IN THE OP) - at this time and date, I will be looking directly at the ladder to see who has gotten the highest.
2. Sign-ups may occur whenever. It doesn't really make sense to have a mid-week deadline on them if it's just based on me looking at the ladder. If you want to bang it out in the last two hours, go for it.

As always, remember that a discussion post with replays is mandatory in order to win Research Week, even if you are the highest score.

Good luck ;)

(p.s sorry about the wonky drudd gif i couldn't not use it)

Who the fuck is gonna use Goth lmao. Even Milotic is a better Defog blocker and Milotic a shit kek. That said,

Alt: Goth untagged
Pokemon: Gothitelle

edit: goth a shit. don't use goth

Last edited:

KM

slayification
signing up for my own challenge like a noob:

ALT: Wesearch Reek

Pokemon: Meloetta

AV Meloetta is boss.

I'd like to join in on this

Alt: Toucanasian sam
Pokemon: Tentacruel

I haven't gotten to play Tentacruel yet. It kinda shares a niche with Forretress in Rapid Spin+Toxic Spikes, with Forry possessing superior bulk+pivot abilities in Volt Switch, but Tentacruel has a fine typing in its own right so I'll probably work from there.
Considered Gothitelle as a partner to Defog-block, but I can't really think of a solid set to do that with since it's just painfully slow and doesn't have the best type-synergy with Tentacruel.

Alright, I only got in a few games tonight and none of them were particularly worth saving (the team I threw together needs quite a bit of tweaking), but I did notice some pretty neat things about Tentacruel right off the bat:
-that speed tier is awesome, shifting a few ev's from defense to speed to beat Adamant Honchkrow/Metagross has already been relevant
-it resists the dual stab combination of every single one of the premiere fighting-types in the tier (Infernape, Heracross, Lucario), making it an ideal partner for Blissey.
-Clear Body was surprisingly relevant, again thanks to its speed. Galvantula teams are all over the lower ladder and Tentacruel being able to maintain its speed to get in a last-ditch Rapid Spin so that a sweeper can come in without worrying about Sticky Web can be game-changing.

The team I ran tonight featured the Tentacruel+Blissey defensive core I mentioned with Sableye as a spinblocker, with SubSeed Shaymin to force switches once Toxic Spikes were set and Band Heracross+Mega Absol to get the major damage in, but the lack of flying resist meant that I relied on Sableye hitting with Will-o-Wisp to reliably beat a boosted Honchkrow so I'm going to try Sub Jirachi in place of Shaymin. Also may have to find a place to put a Scarf 'mon to revenge kill +1 Haxorus, Absol's Sucker Punch only does around 60% to it and that's also very exploitable.

KM

slayification
Great participation so far you guys, remember to keep posting! The deadline will be Sunday 3:00 P.M PST. (I think that's midnight GMT, but don't quote me on it).

Alt: Dr. Eaglehawk
Pokemon: Meloetta (I legit made this alt an hour ago from the time this was posted)

initial discussion: Meloetta has amazing special bulk that allows it to switch into most of the walls common in the UU metagame.

after some testing: omfg this bitch is amazing. There are just way too many set-up opportunities, especially on everyone's blissey.

Can I change my alt, I forgot the last ;8(

Fresh alt: Big wlack bang.

Hopfully the last time this happens.

KM

slayification
stef0w and canasian are the only people to have submitted a discussion post this week. don't forget

KM

slayification
So this week's research week is over, and the top score was 1196, with 10 games played. I appreciate all of your discussion, but I refuse to give out a Community Contributor point for a paragraph and 10 battles. This project will be on hiatus until I can figure out a way to make you guys actually care and try a bit harder.

I'm really sorry to those of you who participated in this week expecting to get a point, but I really can't justify giving one on such a low peak.

(P.S. I realize this is slightly hypocritical-sounding because I didn't write a discussion post, but I 1. wasn't really willing to make this challenge one where i set it up and i win it and 2. i felt like everything about av mel had already been said by stef0w, so I didn't really want to win my own challenge)

So this week's research week is over, and the top score was 1196, with 10 games played. I appreciate all of your discussion, but I refuse to give out a Community Contributor point for a paragraph and 10 battles. This project will be on hiatus until I can figure out a way to make you guys actually care and try a bit harder.

I'm really sorry to those of you who participated in this week expecting to get a point, but I really can't justify giving one on such a low peak.

(P.S. I realize this is slightly hypocritical-sounding because I didn't write a discussion post, but I 1. wasn't really willing to make this challenge one where i set it up and i win it and 2. i felt like everything about av mel had already been said by stef0w, so I didn't really want to win my own challenge)
tbh CM Melo's the way to go.

As for research week, I'm still laddering with it rn (lol) and I'm at 1237 rn. I think the big draw is that more auth-level people should hint at what direction should some of the other participants should take (since tbh it's literally just having some members not know wtf to do with the given pokemon)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-142240768
For the record here's at least one replay I got while playing (I planned to post this alongside a few more with some analysis but I never got back to Showdown). Obviously in a support role I wasn't going to get any matches showing it sweeping or anything but it performs all of its designated roles here admirably.

Gothitelle is actually ok-ish? I'm running Trick Room on it, and it has nice bulk with max hp allowing it to set it up in the face of most defoggers and make a decent dent in most teams with +2 modest life orb. The main thing stopping its sweep so far is sash on completely random things (and since defog has just happened there's no rocks to break it), but it's pretty decent. Whereas with something like Braviary or Tornadus you can bring out a scarf to revenge after the boost, you can't do the same with goth and have to rely on really slow mons or priority (being weak to sucker punch suuuckkks). Also STAB psyshock >>>>>>

However when the opponent doesn't defog you it's pretty much deadweight. Got to around 1300 and the team kind of fell apart at the higher ends because the team wasn't very well built lol, ill keep going for the sake of it to get a replay because I forgot to save any.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)