SS OU Ya Like Jazz?: Sticky Web Hyper Offense

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Ya Like Jazz?
:ss/ribombee::ss/bisharp::ss/gengar::ss/excadrill::ss/dracovish::ss/conkeldurr:

Hello and welcome to my first SS OU RMT and second RMT on Smogon. I'm a big fan of Sticky Web this generation and have been playing around with it a lot. I've been trying to build the best Sticky Web team I can come up with and after a lot of tinkering (and removing Darmanitan) here's is the result.
:ss/ribombee:

Barry B. Benson (Ribombee) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sticky Web
- Moonblast
- Stun Spore
- Skill Swap

This is the standard Ribombee set. I think Ribombee was the best Sticky Web setter last generation and I believe this still holds true this generation. It has the highest Speed stat of all setters, which combined with the fact that it has access to Skill Swap to circumvent Magic Bounce (shoutouts GMars for notifying me of this) means that the only reliable way of preventing Sticky Web from going up is Taunt from Prankster Grimmsnarl which is dented by Moonblast. Not only that, it's not useless outside of Sticky Web as it has access to Stun Spore to cripple the majority of OU Pokemon (including all the hazard removers) as well as a decent Special Attack stat paired with reliable STAB in Moonblast. The second best option is probably Araquanid which lacks most of the qualities I've mentioned.

:ss/bisharp:
Checkmate (Bisharp) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Throat Chop
- Sucker Punch

I'm a firm believer that any serious Sticky Web team needs a Bisharp for a couple of reasons. First of all, it dissuades people from using Defog, and if they do +2 Bisharp can take on most Corviknight and Mandibuzz pretty easily as it cleanly 2HKOs both and resists both STABs of both Pokemon (however it does have to look out for Body Press from Corviknight and Foul Play from Mandibuzz which does 60.8 - 71.5%). Secondly, it takes advantage of Sticky Web which allows it to outspeed threats like Kommo-o and Obstagoon and hit them with Iron Head. I prefer Black Glasses because Life Orb's recoil can be quite detrimental when trying to take down Roost and/or Substitute users.

:ss/gengar:

Pennywise (Gengar) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot

Gengar has a dual role as a spinblocker and setup sweeper. Its Fighting immunity also helps Bisharp and Excadrill who are weak to it. Air Balloon is perfect for Gengar since it has to come in on Excadrill to block Rapid Spin but it doesn't want to take an Earthquake. Iron Head does 77.3 - 91.1% so you can actually set up on Excadrill if you want to. Air Balloon also allows Gengar to wall and set up on Conkeldurr lacking Thunder Punch. +2 Gengar is incredibly hard to stop under webs since it has strong unresisted coverage between Shadow Ball, Sludge Wave and Focus Blast. Knock Off from Mandibuzz does 85 - 101.1% and Foul Play does less so if you Nasty Plot on the switch and haven't taken any chip prior Gengar generally beats it. It has a Timid nature to outspeed Hydreigon which isn't affected by Sticky Web.

:ss/excadrill:
Santoryu (Excadrill) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Excadrill is another staple on Sticky Web teams since Rapid Spin is the only method of hazard removal that does not involve clearing your own. It doubles as the team's Stealth Rock setter as on this type of team you take all the role compression you can get. Excadrill is also the Electric immunity of the team, being able to come in on stuff like Volt Switch, Overdrive and Bolt Beak which no other teammate even resists.

:ss/dracovish:

Jaws (Dracovish) @ Choice Band
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Psychic Fangs
- Crunch
- Outrage

Dracovish is probably the most threatening abuser of Sticky Web since lowering foes' Speed stat is exactly what Dracovish needs to shred through teams with Fishious Rend, which it does especially well with a Choice Band allowing it to 2HKO Ferrothorn and Toxapex. The other moves are of course safer to use when the opponent has a Water Absorb user like Seismitoad. This is also the team's Fire and Water resist, which it is otherwise quite weak to.

:ss/conkeldurr:
Penetraturr (Conkeldurr) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Earthquake
- Facade

For the final member of the team, I realized I needed a Bisharp check of my own since opposing Bisharp's Defiant is activated by Sticky Web. I could also make use of some more speed control. Conkeldurr is the perfect Bisharp check thanks to Mach Punch and also functions as a fierce wallbreaker. Guts allows it to be a status absorber for the team as well as break through Unaware walls like Pyukumuku. It has enough Speed investment to outspeed 252 Spe neutral Clefable and Aegislash under webs, which it threatens with Facade and Earthquake respectively, while still underspeeding Corviknight to hit it super-effectively with Drain Punch when it uses Roost.

Overall, I think the team members synergize well both with Sticky Web and with each other and I've had some pretty decent success with it.
I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Moonblast
- Stun Spore
- Skill Swap

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Throat Chop
- Sucker Punch

Gengar @ Air Balloon
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Dracovish @ Choice Band
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Psychic Fangs
- Crunch
- Outrage

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Earthquake
- Facade

Last edited:
Why do people say sticky web is unviable this tier? Honestly. I think it is viable.
......I don’t think I can rate this team. It’s too good for me to even rate it
I like jazz btw

Last edited:
I would probably replace Lefties on Excadrill for a Focus Sash, in case of Heavy Duty Boots Cinderace, so that Excadrill can at least survive a hit from Pyro Ball and return some damage. Otherwise, nice team!

I would probably replace Lefties on Excadrill for a Focus Sash, in case of Heavy Duty Boots Cinderace, so that Excadrill can at least survive a hit from Pyro Ball and return some damage. Otherwise, nice team!
I usually switch into dracovish when the cinderace uses pyro ball so that dracovish can pressure cinderace (252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend (85 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cinderace: 674-794 (223.1 - 262.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO).
Even if it switches out, dracovish will either 1HKO or 2HKO the switched in pokemon.
BTW, I laddered up to the 1500s using my friends acc.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Tried this team out for a couple matches. Had some fun. Digging the Skill Swap tech as well as the Air Balloon on Gengar.
In my experience the stand-out star of this team, though, is Conkeldurr. Dracovish is always a lot of fun, but even with Webs it struggles to break passed every typical Dracovish counter that is being is run nowadays- Seismitoad, Vaporeon, Milotic, etc, and giving those Pokemon free turns is not ideal for this team since it means a loss of momentum that is sometimes hard to sneak back on such an HO oriented team.

One big threat I noticed is Gyarados, since its not super threatened by any of the Pokemon on your team and avoids the Sticky Web. You have to keep Bisharp healthy so it can 2KO Gyarados since Sucker Punch only does 53% - 63%. Dracovish can also take any hit from +1 Gyarados from full but fails to OHKO with Outrage without prior damage. I wouldn't recommend changing the team around at all though, since it can definitely be played around.

I also had some trouble dealing with Lead Excadrill, too, since they win the 1v1 vs Ribombee and even with Air Balloon, Gengar is also inconsistant spinblocker. Thats why I back The_nub_dragonite's suggestion to go Focus Sash over leftovers. I can't say Leftovers helped me in any capacity in the matches I played with the team, whereas I can think of many situations where a Sash would have secured me a W. It also would help you earn some mindgames vs. other lead Excadrills and Cinderace. Having a Sticky Web on both sides of the field does benefit Bisharp, sure, but in many cases it also just feels like playing a non-Sticky Web team, since the playing field is effectively neutral.

Regardless, its a very fun team and put in quite a bit of work!

I have a very similar team I am using, I love sticky trap!

Why with Gengar, Air Balloon instead of Focus Sash? With Focus Sash you can revenge kill a Dragapult. And why Focus Blast instead of Thunderbolt?

Also the skill swap on Ribombee is genius!

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Why with Gengar, Air Balloon instead of Focus Sash? With Focus Sash you can revenge kill a Dragapult. And why Focus Blast instead of Thunderbolt?
I really like Gengar being able to come in on Earthquake (from Excadrill, Conkeldurr, Seismitoad, etc.) for free. Air Balloon provides the sole Ground immunity of the team after all so without it I am quite vulnerable to it. Bisharp can revenge kill Dragapult quite well, most of the team actually threatens Dragapult if it's slowed down by webs.
Focus Blast hits the likes of Tyranitar and Ferrothorn hard which can otherwise tank hits. I think Gengar's STAB combo fares adequately in terms of hitting Thunderbolt's targets, but I like the suggestion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)