Your everyday sand team (1900+ and rising)

Everyday Sand Team

Hey Everyone TeraVoltage Here with a team I'd like to share. I have taken a liking to sand recently, more specificly Hippowdon Balance-ish teams like the one I have here today. The team has a few pokemon that are a little off from what most people use. (One is gaining popularity fast) The team also utilizes Alakazam, a pokemon that i have not really used all too much tbh. Anyway Lets get started with the RMT!

Hippowdon was chosen over t-tar due to its insane bulk and reliable recovery. Really solid choice for a sand team imo and needs alot more useage.

Rotom-Wash wash chosen to be a rain check mainly. The sp.def set does a really good job at checking ground, and fire types such as Mamoswine and Heatran too. Also provides nice Volt switch momentum for the team.

Alakazam was added because it is a pretty good revenge killer, and works well on sand. Plus i wanted to try him out in battle as i didnt often.

Terrakion was added because i was needing a good physical attacker and wallbreaker as I was lacking both. Not to mention the boost from sand helps Terrakion preform.

The team at this point got destroyed by dragons, mostly dragons holding choice items or KYUREM-B. Rachi was a perfect fit to the team, the lure set works really well.

Latias is kinda needed on this team to help check rain and sun. Not much that needs to be said its a latias :]

Closer Look at the Team

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off

Hippowdon is really a cool pokemon, He does some work for the team too tanking physical hits with its massive bulk and reliable recovery. He does his job well for the team and is actually vital as he carries the all so important stealth rock which is arguably the best move in the game.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 232 SDef
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

The standard special wall for a sand team, it does its job extremely well and theres no games were its useless. Its job is to Help check rain, spread burns and most importantly Spam volt switch to get my sweepers in safely! Has pain split as a semi- reliable recovery along with leftovers.

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This guy is a pretty damn good revenge killer. While he may not be scarfed he does have a blistering 120 base speed that allows it to outpace pretty much anything without boosts or unscarfed. The set is simple and standard but effective. Signal beam is mainly used to hit celebi harder then shadow ball did and hp fire is for ferrothorn and friends.

Terrakion @ Salac Berry
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

This pokemon is a freaking monster, Jirachi lures in steels such as heatran and U-turn out to this beast for a free setup. Hes the only real physical attacker on the team and I made sure it was a fighting type to bust through walls such as Blissey and even Gliscor and Lando-t! The rock gem set is one amazing bluff that @ShootinStarmie told me about in his Bluffing post.

Jirachi @ Shuca Berry
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 48 HP / 252 SAtk / 208 Spd
Mild Nature
- Iron Head
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Fire Punch

Ah Shuca Berry Jirachi how i love this set. Can really help take the pressure off my team from things like Landorus-T, Mamoswine, Garchomp Ect. Thunderbolt also allows me to dent lead politoeds that will try to scald me or predict a switch letting me win the weather war more easily. Often times I lead with this pokemon because of how good it does against some of the most popular stealth rockers. U-turn on this set replaces were stealth rocks went, Allows me to get a free setup on Terrakion when I uturn on the predicted steel / Heatran switch.

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Reflect Type
- Roost

Latias is the glue that holds this team together tbh, without her i'd strugle against Rain more and she also is a check to sun and fighting moves. Reflect type is used because I wanted to try it out mainly, and alot of people dont expect it many times. Basicly lets me keep my latias on stuff like scizor and Tyranitar which is helpful. I do realize that i loose coverage when I use this move but the suprise factor on the ladder is so helpful for keeping her healthy. Anyway she is just the regular life orb tank with Dual stabs and roost.

Replays!
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent-48800448
I'll add more later on :]

Conclusion
Thanks Everyone for reading my RMT! This is one of the first really serious teams I've made and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have been! I'll leave the Importable version here for you guys to playtest it for yourselves and find any holes of better pokemon!
**Also idk whatsup with the first hide but it sorta messed up lol just ignore it and hit the bottom one!**

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 232 SDef
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Terrakion @ Salac Berry
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Jirachi @ Shuca Berry
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 48 HP / 252 SAtk / 208 Spd
Mild Nature
- Iron Head
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Fire Punch

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Reflect Type
- Roost

Last edited:
Hello TeraVoltage, first of all, I would like to say that I really like your team. However I think I can make some changes to help improve it. First off, your Jirachi set is pretty cool and unique, but I would recommend Iron Head over Flash Cannon, the flinch rate is really nice against stuff like Skarmory Leads, Blissey and especially Tyranitar. It also hits Terrakion in the sand a lot harder. Of course you should change the nature of Jirachi as well. Also consider Fire Punch over U-Turn to hit steels like Ferrothorn, Forretress and Scizor, because as far as U-Turns use, it would mainly be used for celebi, and... well other then that and gaining momentum (with a very weak move) that's all it's doing for you. Second of all, since you have a lure for Gliscors and Landorus-Ts in MixedRachi, I think it's safe to say that a Salac Berry Terrakion would be more beneficial, as Rock Gem is mainly used for Gliscors, and the boosting speed can help a lot against Lati@s. Your Latias spread is pretty weird, I'm definitely going to recommend max speed, to out speed Keldeo, Terrakion Latios with HP Fire and Gengar with HP Fire, while still speed tying with 110s. If you do want to run a bulky Latias spread, run 184 special attack and 72 HP, as speed is one of the reasons Latias is used so much. Also I feel like the only reason you have Reflect Type is for escaping Tyranitar, which I understand, but you could try out surf as it's useful for hitting stuff like Landorus-T and Tyranitar hard without the drops. Once again awesome team, I really like it, hope I helped!

Changes:
-Jirachi
Iron Head over Flash Cannon
Fire Punch over U-Turn
Nature change ofc

-Terrakion
Salac Berry over Rock Gem

-Latias
Change EV Spread to 252 Spd/184 Sp.Atk/72 HP
Optional but try surf over reflect type

Thanks @Trevorpoke42 for the rate! I'll definetly make the jirachi changes as i wasnt 100% on its set it was sorta experimental. As for terrakion how could i have forgotten about about salac berry?!? I'll definetly make the change.

*Edit- Should I put some attack investment in jirachi? Seems like it would be really weak but i'm no good when it comes to mixed spreads.

Last edited:
Hi TeraVoltage. Cool team you have there. I'm not going to recommend to many changes myself because it's your team and yeah. Anyways I see two weaknesses to your team. The first weakness is Calm Mind boosters, mainly fast ones like, Latias. As well as Jirachi, Celebi, and most importantly Keldeo. I also see a weakness to Tyranitar + Keldeo teams in General. Your only decent Keldeo check is Latias, which is killed by Tyranitar even with Reflect Type.

I would try out replacing a move on Jirachi for Body Slam to get paralysis on most of these pokemon most importantly Keldeo. Probably thunderbolt because you carry Rotom-W which has electric stab. Then I'd replace Hippowdon for a SpD Tyranitar.

I'd use this set.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers / Chople Berry
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Sassy Nature
- Crunch
- Fire Blast / Pursuit
- Superpower
- Stealth Rock

I know it looks really weird but I think it will help your team with a variety of things. It still sets up rocks and is a good sand setters. However, Tyranitar can threaten Latias and Celebi. Superpower can also kill other Tyranitars. Body Slam on Jirachi should handle Keldeo because Para + Close Combat from Terrakion should kill. Fire Blast is also on the set to catch Ferrothorn and Skarmory off guard, as your team is really hazard weak without any spinners. Pursuit is a mention too, but people just stay in a lot and attack Tyranitar making the move useless.

I hope I helped. If not sorry xD but if you don't like Tyranitar I definitely think Body Slam > Thunderbolt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)