Your favorite video games

Venousbog

In my dreams I'm dying all the time
is a Battle Simulator Moderator
Guess I'll post in here because I like talking about myself.

I'm not normally one for singleplayer games, I'm much more of a multiplayer guy, playing COD and Battlefield for most of my teen years, but I was suggested by a friend to pick up Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice about a year ago, played a little bit of it, got stuck on the first Chained Ogre boss you encounter and didn't pick it back up for almost a year.

Once I did, I realised it is one of the most rewarding gameplay experiences I've ever had, so much so that I decided to try to 100% the game, a goal I accomplished after about a month and a half of playing regularly.

It is not a difficult game once you sink your teeth into it, it's very rhythmic, yet the gameplay cycle never gets old despite this.

Pretty new to using Smogon and dont know how to do spoilers or anything like that so that is all I will say. Check out the game, it really got me hooked, I've beaten all 4 endings :)

Mario60866iPod13

Banned deucer.
Pokemon is my favorite game as I have posted all over the place, but I like some other games too, such as:
Super Mario
Minecraft
Pitfall
Pac-Man
Mr. Do's castle and random other MAME arcade games
Rock Band

Unlike most people I have no interest in M rated games.

Of the latest games for mobile phones, I got high from Dislyte. In games like this, if you're not passionate about the gameplay, you're unlikely to stay. I would say the gameplay here isn't too unique, and the combat is pretty similar to AFK Arena, but it's still fun and suggests you use more strategy than you might first expect. Taking advantage of the elemental benefits and various abilities available to each esper https://metatierlist.com/dislyte-tier-list/ encourages you to choose your team composition carefully and think carefully about what to do each turn.

Last edited:

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Let's see if I can make a good first impression and go over this without being too cringy, shall we? So, uh, where to begin... I started playing Pokémon in 2010, I'm the kind of gamer who wants to feel like they have their own little place to go back to, I like to tell myself I was un-intentionally raised on sequels, and I like the stuff I grew up with on systems along the lines of the DS and the Wii... between these hints and the alarming red flag that is my Smogon Forums profile picture, it shouldn't be too difficult to piece together what my favorite video game of all time is. It might not look like it, but I'm a huge, huge fan of the Pokémon Ranger trilogy, specifically Guardian Signs. Very few words can even attempt to explain how personal this game was for me. It's so special to me that it's actually kind of scary to think about at times. Like, we're talking "The freaking protagonist is basically just me" levels of personal, and the best part? I can actually prove it, and already have done so in the past.

I'll leave you guys on that cliff hanger though and go over my other favorite video games. In no particular order, my top five favorite game series and/or individual games are Pokémon, Mario, Smash Bros., Minecraft, and especially Mario Kart. Realistically, I am going to be extremely biased towards my childhood games, which included a surprising amount of racing titles. I bet I can think of at least a dozen off the top of my head, with Mario Kart in particular being the perfect storm of everything I love in a video game. My unofficial motto is as follows: I like to practice games I found myself with any sort of natural talent in... which is why I don't play barely anything."

Granted most racing games aren't exactly designed to be difficult, I find the genre to be a pretty massive exception to that statement. I think it has something to do with childhood experience combined in my growing interest in the various settings and locales of said games, as well as accompanying factors like soundtrack for instance. I'm actually searching for recommendations while I wait for Mario Kart's big 30th anniversary next year. I would love ideas if anyone has any. If it helps, I have access to the following systems: GBA, DS, Wii, Xbox 360, 3DS, Wii U, Switch, PS4. Recent recommendations include "Team Sonic Racing", "Need for Speed", and "Diddy Kong Racing" (most likely for the DS).

Error Correction: The fact that I forgot listing my brother's old PS2 that still works is genuinely surprising given how over half of my childhood list was from that very console. I don't expect this to impact recommendations too much since 6th Gen games are notoriously expensive for me. I speak as someone who's been DYING to play Double Dash and the GameCube Pokémon games... ;-;

Last edited:

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Play it on n64. DS version has bad gameplay changes like gimmick boosting, a slower slogged story mode, and the music is dreadful. Also, I'd definitely give Crash Team Racing (nitro fueled on ps4 in your case) a chance as well as Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing (for 360 and Wii but can also do transformed if you wanna try that).
Conveniently, I actually have access to both versions. I'd just have to buy one (or both) to actually play the dang thing, of course. I'd expect to see this game joining N64 Switch Online at some point in the future, but even then, both versions of the game are on the Wii U Virtual Console. This is actually how I first played Mario Kart 64 as well, come to think of it, as well as MK Super Circuit so I didn't have to forage for a GBA cartridge.

In any case, I greatly appreciate the advice :D

EDIT: I completely forgot to bring up Crash Team Racing. I swear on my life I was this close to already buying it over summer break this year, but stopped myself last-minute because I couldn't decide if I'd prefer it more on PS4 or Switch. This post actually makes that decision, so thank you there too! That just leaves the Sonic racers, which maybe I'll ask for for Christmas or something. :)

Starting with mons:

FireRed, Crystal (basically emulated), Emerald
Pokemon is the place where numbers and joy and frustration, and way too much time indoors clash together.
Also Pokemon Showdown support is any electronic device's killer app, in my opinion.

Now for the rest, in the order that I remembered them when writing this post...

Beautiful as fuck game: Zelda Ocarina of Time (N64)

One that I keep coming back to at any moment: Mario Kart 64 (N64)

Let's throw an overlookd N64 game in: Pokemon Stadium 2 (N64)

Boy was I bad at this game but enjoyed every moment: Age of Empires: Rise of Rome (PC)

Watched this game orders of magnitude more than played: Starcraft Brood War (PC)

Game most influential to a concrete set of life choices I've ever played: Captain Tsubasa II (NES)

First foray into competitive gaming: Super Street Fighter II Turbo (online emulated/arcade)

Flash game sunk most time on: Stick Sports (football, tennis, cricket)

Retro beauty: King's Quest VI (PC)

My favorite children's game not named pokemon: Backyard Baseball (PC)

Racing game with amazing scenery / feel / aesthetic: Project Gotham Racing 2 (Xbox)

Best Halo game : Halo CE (Xbox)

Most immersive RPGs that I would lose myself in instead of losing my soul to numbness: Elder Scrolls Skyrim, Fallout 3 (Xbox 360)

I'll come back to this if I miss some aspect of my gaming existence that seems important, but I think I hit the big ones.

Edit: Oh, I've also played some more adult oriented games, because I guess it's okay to talk about that kind of thing these days. I won't name any titles, as I don't know this forum's rules on this kind of thing, but basically depth of gameplay, storyline, immersion are key to a memorable game here as in any other other genre.
Missed Dark Souls (the first one, didn't care for the sequels) out of this list. Beating it was rather an experience, although I'm a bit old to want to replay it.
Can't believe I forgot the one that started it all for me, when it came to console gaming: Deion Sanders Prime Time NFL Football (Sega Genesis) . There have been multiple games on here with sports game-play / simulation aspects (Fifa 12 would be another one I'd have to include). Especially with regards to the simulation, I think that tends to fit right in with my fascination with mons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)