Your favourite albums?

banks

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I made a post here a while ago.

M.I.A. - Arular

Anything she's put out, with the exception of AIM, is great. KALA has some higher highs, like the first three songs and Paper Planes, and MAYA was notably prescient, initially panned by critics for its disorganised abrasiveness, but that sound (along with the album below, which were released on the same label) became reference points for trends currently popular in both indie and mainstream, e.g. PC music. Regardless, Arular edges them out ever so slightly with its cohesiveness, original delivery and unforgettable hooks. She really is just effortlessly cool, which is something very few people in the rap and electropop scene possess nowadays.

Sleigh Bells - Treats

Very overlooked in the contemporary canon of music. I don't think any album from the early 00s paved the way as much as this one did. Much like some of M.I.A.'s work, the fusion of power electronics with pop didn't fare well anywhere except in a few underground circles: too loud and bold for mainstream yet too 'shallow' and unmethodical for high-nosed critics. The track run from the start to Rill Rill is honestly faultless; the songs thereafter are still very good, I just don't care much for the closer. It loses steam toward the end, which seems almost inevitable given just how high energy it is. I recommend this album to anyone, no matter what their tastes levels are.

Cibo Matto - Viva! La Woman & Hotel Valentine
1624916250054.jpeg

I was surprised to see I didn't include a Cibo Matto album in my last post. They only have three albums out, but they're genuinely all good and my plays of them equal about the same. Their first album, and their most famous one, Viva La Woman is one of the best artpop/trip-hop albums I've heard: very fun, very sweet, experimental where it needs to be. The album centres itself around food, which each track having some sort of relevance to it, but it's by no means gimmicky. I think this is a wonderful album. As for Hotel Valentine, I genuinely don't know why it's dismissed, considering it was Cibo Matto's comeback in 2010 after 11 years since their last album. This album is short, so if you need some good and FUN music, just listen to this. Their middle album is also good.

Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes

It seems I say this about all artists, but: her first four are all very good. Part of me actually admires and likes her other three after this one better, Under the Pink, Boys for Pele, and From the Choirgirl Hotel. I think they all aim for something much more artistically admirable and have more interesting soundscapes, lyrics, and themes. Yet oxymoronically, I think part of me enjoys Little Earthquakes the most. It's not without critique, as I think it meanders a bit with lengthy tracks, and for better or worse, there is an entirely acapella song about saving one's self from sexual assault. As an outsider to Tori at first, I'm now very confused why she was described to me as some moderately successful, inoffensive singer-songwriter. She is very intelligent and good at what she does: some people dog on her lyricism for being 'too out there', but I think she's not pandering to anyone, and for those who do resonate with her music, the payoff is great. As for this album, it's not as daring or uncomfortable as the others, but still equally, if not more, brilliant. Silent All These Years is a perfect piano song, and the closer, Little Earthquakes, features one of my favourite vocal crescendo ever.

Puce Mary - The Drought

Admittedly, my favourite Puce Mary song is not on this album. That would be The Spiral, which I think will become understandable after hearing the first couple notes. Taking the theme of malnourishment, and the rage and violence that accompany this starvation and stripping of liberties is already intriguing, but she broadens her horizons, creating a calming yet noisily apocalyptic album about power, and where power comes from. Puce Mary doesn't speak much, but when she does, you really feel it -- piercingly. She's like a sorcerer who knows which subtle sounds will convey meaning to your brain.

Joanna Newsom - Ys
1624918134600.jpeg

If you've heard this album, then you know what's up. If you don't know what's up, then listen to this album, then, invariably, you will know what is up.

Róisín Murphy - Róisín Machine

This album makes you dance, but in a very visceral way. I could write a thesis on the understated impact Murphy has had on pop culture, but I shan't, for now. But seriously I think this was my favourite album of 2020.

iamamiwhoami - Kin

For some reason, I feel very silly trying to write anything meaningful about this album. Not because it's a silly album, but because it's beyond my analysis. One of the best albums of the 2000s, the first track really shuts you up and puts you in a trance, and you're sort of sustained in that until it ends.

Massive Attack - Mezzaine

Unsure why I didn't include this album in my previous post, as I have been a fan of this album for a few years now. I always thought it was a tad overrated, but whatever, it deserves it: heavy with mood yet simultaneously fluid too. Elizabeth Fraser also really makes this album, the vocalist of Cocteau Twins. It's such a cliche thing to say but she really is a human personification of a siren.

Anna Von Hausswolff - Dead Magic

Chills every time I listen to The Truth, The Glow, The Fall. Listen to that song, and if it's not for you, then that's your loss. Sorry.

Sheena Ringo - Shōso Strip

Sheena Ringo was very young when she made this album, and although I think this album is pretty masterful at achieving what it sets out to do, it is very unhinged, tactfully, of course. One of the busiest albums I've heard arrangement wise, with the loud guitars, unrelenting percussion and other offbeat instruments. I think her delivery is great, even if not for everyone.

Julia Holter - Loud City Song
1624919453176.jpeg

More subdued than Have You In My Wilderness's expansive palette and mood variations, as well as Aviary, which is definitely one of the most insurmountable albums I've heard. Yet Loud City Song is just so impressive with its immersion and ability to be very emphatic without being too loud (unlike the title suggesting so). It also explores themes that I've never heard before in albums.

Some other albums I've been enjoying lately but can't be bothered writing about:
Tirzah - Devotion
Ramona Lisa - Arcadia
Akira Yamaoka - Silent Hill 2 OST
Janet Jackson - The Velvet Rope
Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine
Burial - Tunes 2011-2019
Arca - &&&&&
Kilo Kish - Reflections in Real Time
Goldie Boutilier - Very Best
Kelly Lee Owens - Inner Song

Anyway I could go on forever. If anyone actually listens to one of these that they've never heard before and likes it, do message me! I'd be glad to chat

Estronic

literally me in real life
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
GP Co-Leader
Been a hot minute, so I decided to update this again.
topsters2 (3).png

The top row is what I would say are the best albums of all time ordered (from all of the albums I've listened to so far, at least). Yes, I do think Atrocity Exhibition is better than MBDTF. No, it's not only because of Jay-Z's verse on Monster.

I tried to order the rest of the albums based which ones I liked the most, but I gave up after I couldn't decide how to order Kids See Ghosts, Rodeo, and Run The Jewels 2. The fact that this list has genres all over the place doesn't help either. There's a lot of other albums I considered adding to this list (Kendrick Lamar's good kid, m.A.A.d city, Young Thug's JEFFERY, Sky Ferreira's Night Time, My Time, and Kanye West's first three albums to name a few), but I'd need to listen to them a couple more times to reach a verdict.

Unfortunately, though, this still reinforces why I don't have a girlfriend yet.

download (1).jpeg
Since I'm logged in, I'll post my Obligatory. Produced by Necro Mighty Mi + I thiiiink RJD2 (if not sorry). Dude got shot by Em+Dre like Big L

The Serbian dude who replaced Fat Cage ended up rapping with Aesop Rock and El-P

The style is: this dude is blatantly rapping about soup (or something) I am eating and he even name dropped Paul who served it but pre-horrorcore. Every time.

Has shaped my life since
---
Also Rodan u band deucer your Ukranian neighborhood middle school: Prince of Wales, staged a Halloween choke out for me in sleep and pounded my uvula in. Crikes had me coughing out blood chunks for a week cos my roomate was 6'4" (got salty over some Mox/Ambrose shit I did to him or something). Since our police force here in Ontario is Russian and he thought he was trolling cops with 5000 in game consoles of mine held ransom, the force ended the douche for me. Low time Lsd dealers pullin in 50s lol

I decided to write a little of some albums that are either some of my favs or just I have been listening to them alot lately, all from spanish speaking artists just to change things up here a little.

1628651835771.png

Rauw Alejandro - Vice Versa

Rauw Alejandro is an urban singer from Puerto Rico mostly known by regaeton. This is his second album and boy I love it. Many regaeton albums just end up being a compilation of songs but this one does feel different, its all reggeaton but all the songs feel fresh and fun. I love it.

Fav songs: "Todo de ti" and "2/Catorce" these are the hit songs in the album; "Cosa Guapa" and "Desenfocao" are amazing; " ¿Y eso?" and " ¿Cuando Fue?" are the most experimental and if I had to choose, my favorites.

1628651779450.png

Beny Jr. & El Guincho - Samurai

Both are artists from Spain, El Guincho already has another amazing album all by himself but he released a new album this year in which he decided to only produce for Beny Jr., a great young spanish artist, mostly drill and trap music. El Guincho is an amazing producer and Beny Jr.'s style just go together really nice.

Fav songs: The most notable and easily my favorites would be "Combo la L", "Maldito", "Kardash" and "Color Caramelo".

1628651711256.png

Carla Morrison - Dejenme Llorar

Carla Morrison is a mexican artist and she released this beauty in 2011. Its just a beautfil album, all of it are calm songs that sound great. I honestly dont know what more to say, I just love this one. Only issue is all songs kinda sound alike but oh well.

Fav songs: Pretty much all of it, if I had to choose some highlights it would be "Disfruto", "Dejenme Llorar", "Eres tu" and "Apague mi mente"; but all of it is great.

These are all for now, hope you all listen to them and enjoy.

Last edited:
topsters2 (5).png
I tried to limit myself to only 1 per artist, made for some really tough decisions. I've gotten a lot of great recommendations from this thread, I'm looking forward to finding even more great albums and expanding my taste. I love music! (this list is vaguely ordered)
:blobuwu:

Mr. Uncompetitive

I'm Deko (leader of The Nebulox)
is a Contributor Alumnus
Updated my topster a bit ago, didn't have much to change honestly

1631388477861.png

1631388334190.png

However, another reason I wanted to make this post...I know this is a bit different from the thread's topic, but question for y'all: what are your favorite opening tracks? I've usually found book-enders (both intros and endings) to be the most memorable of just about any piece of media, but I think I've noticed that for a lot of my favorites, my favorite parts tend to be spread out throughout the middle.

So, I decided to quickly tier list my favorite opening tracks and found that a lot of my favorite albums ranked pretty low (or I didn't rank at all) while a lot of albums I wouldn't call a favorite made it pretty high, i.e. Heaven to a Tortured Mind, Loveless, Be the Cowboy. In fact, a few of these albums I don't even think particularly highly of made it quite high too, namely WTT and DAYTONA. Maybe it's just because their openers just set me up for disappointment lol (cough Only Shallow cough cough)

Entries in each tier are (roughly) in order:

1631387785852.png

S+ Tier (basically, amongst my all-time favorite tracks. S and S- tier tracks aren't too far off either though!)
The Postal Service - The District Sleeps Alone Tonight
Yves Tumor - Gospel for a New Century
My Bloody Valentine - Only Shallow
Kendrick Lamar - Wesley's Theory
Hole - Violet

S Tier
Tyler, the Creator - IGOR'S THEME
Pusha T - If You Know You Know
Daft Punk - One More Time
Lorde - Green Light

S- Tier
Kanye West and Jay-Z - No Church in the Wild
Rina Sawayama - Dynasty
Kanye West - We Don't Care
Porter Robinson - Divinity
Kanye West - Good Morning
Ride - Leave Them All Behind
Mitski - Geyser
Kero Kero Bonito - Outside

A+ Tier
Carly Rae Jepsen - Runaway With Me
Denzel Curry - TABOO
HAIM - Want You Back
Cordae - Wintertime
Travis Scott - STARGAZING
Bruno Mars - 24K Magic

A Tier
Car Seat Headrest - Fill in the Blank
Asobi Seksu - I'm Happy But You Don't Like Me
Kanye West - Jail
Kanye West - Dark Fantasy
Harry Styles - Golden
Asobi Seksu - Strawberries
EDEN - sex
My Dead Girlfriend - kanojo ga tsumetaku warattara
David Bowie - Little Wonder

A- Tier
Alvvays - In Undertow
Pusha T - King Push
Kanye West - On Sight
Kanye West - Ultralight Beam
Daft Punk - Human After All
Machine Girl - Cyan Hardcore
Denzel Curry - ZUU
Vince Staples - Crabs in a Bucket
Amine - Burden

Openers I really like from albums I haven't listened to all the way
The Avalanches - Since I Left You
Frank Ocean - Thinkin About You
HAIM - Falling
Lianne La Havas - Bittersweet
Sweet Trip - Tiny Houses
For Tracy Hyde - 繋ぐ日の青 (Be My Blue)
Playboi Carti - Long Time

Last edited:

Tomahawk

waiting for the colour of spring
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
However, another reason I wanted to make this post...I know this is a bit different from the thread's topic, but question for y'all: what are your favorite opening tracks? I've usually found book-enders (both intros and endings) to be the most memorable of just about any piece of media, but I think I've noticed that for a lot of my favorites, my favorite parts tend to be spread out throughout the middle.
Sure, here are some nice opener tracks from scrolling through my library (definitely missed more than I actually noted here though):

Michael Kiwanuka - Cold Little Heart (from Love & Hate)
The Avalanches - Since I Left You (from Since I Left You)
Sufjan Stevens - Futile Devices (from The Age of Adz)
Angel Olsen - Lark (from All Mirrors)
Kanye West - Ultralight Beam (from The Life Of Pablo)
Playboy Carti - Long Time (from Die Lit)
LCD Soundsystem - oh baby (from American dream)
Janelle Monae - Dirty Computer (from Dirty Computer)
Elton John - Funeral For A Friend (from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road)
The Cure - Inbetween Days (from The Head On The Door)
Al Green - Let's Stay Together (from Let's Stay Together)
Death Grips - Get Got (from The Money Store)
New Order - Age of Consent (from Power Corruption and Lies)
David Bowie - Station to Station (from Station to Station
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On (from What's Going On)

Updated my topster a bit ago, didn't have much to change honestly

View attachment 371489

So, I decided to quickly tier list my favorite opening tracks and found that a lot of my favorite albums ranked pretty low (or I didn't rank at all) while a lot of albums I wouldn't call a favorite made it pretty high, i.e. Heaven to a Tortured Mind, Loveless, Be the Cowboy. In fact, a few of these albums I don't even think particularly highly of made it quite high too, namely WTT and DAYTONA. Maybe it's just because their openers just set me up for disappointment lol (cough Only Shallow cough cough)

Entries in each tier are (roughly) in order:

View attachment 371484

S+ Tier (basically, amongst my all-time favorite tracks. S and S- tier tracks aren't too far off either though!)
The Postal Service - The District Sleeps Alone Tonight
Yves Tumor - Gospel for a New Century
My Bloody Valentine - Only Shallow
Kendrick Lamar - Wesley's Theory
Hole - Violet

S Tier
Tyler, the Creator - IGOR'S THEME
Pusha T - If You Know You Know
Daft Punk - One More Time
Lorde - Green Light

S- Tier
Kanye West and Jay-Z - No Church in the Wild
Rina Sawayama - Dynasty
Kanye West - We Don't Care
Porter Robinson - Divinity
Kanye West - Good Morning
Ride - Leave Them All Behind
Mitski - Geyser
Kero Kero Bonito - Outside

A+ Tier
Carly Rae Jepsen - Runaway With Me
Denzel Curry - TABOO
HAIM - Want You Back
Cordae - Wintertime
Travis Scott - STARGAZING
Bruno Mars - 24K Magic

A Tier
Car Seat Headrest - Fill in the Blank
Asobi Seksu - I'm Happy But You Don't Like Me
Kanye West - Jail
Kanye West - Dark Fantasy
Harry Styles - Golden
Asobi Seksu - Strawberries
EDEN - sex
My Dead Girlfriend - kanojo ga tsumetaku warattara
David Bowie - Little Wonder

A- Tier
Alvvays - In Undertow
Pusha T - King Push
Kanye West - On Sight
Kanye West - Ultralight Beam
Daft Punk - Human After All
Machine Girl - Cyan Hardcore
Denzel Curry - ZUU
Vince Staples - Crabs in a Bucket
Amine - Burden

Openers I really like from albums I haven't listened to all the way
The Avalanches - Since I Left You
Frank Ocean - Thinkin About You
HAIM - Falling
Lianne La Havas - Bittersweet
Sweet Trip - Tiny Houses
For Tracy Hyde - 繋ぐ日の青 (Be My Blue)
Playboi Carti - Long Time
Here are some of my favourite openers:
Comus - Diana (First Utterance)
Death Grips - Get Got (The Money Store)
David Bowie - Blackstar (Blackstar)
David Bowie - Five Years (Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars)
Fiona Apple - On The Bound (When The Pawn...)
FKA Twigs - Thousand Eyes (Magdalene)
John Cale - Child's Christmas in Wales (Paris 1919)
Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill (Hounds Of Love)
Kate Bush - Sat In Your Lap (The Dreaming)
Kendrick Lamar - Wesley's Theory (To Pimp A Butterfly)
King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man (In the Court of the Crimson King)
Little Simz - Introvert (Sometimes I Might Be Introvert)
Love - Alone Again Or (Forever Changes)
Nico - Janitor of Lunacy (Chelsea Girls)
Radiohead - 15 Step (In Rainbows)
Sonic Youth - Teenage Riot (Daydream Nation)
Spellling - Little Deer (The Turning Wheel)
The Doors - Break On Through (Self Titled)
The Kinks - David Watts (Something Else by the Kinks)
The Kinks - The Village Green Preservation Society (The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society)
The Kinks - Victoria (Arthur or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire)
The Pogues - The Sick Bed of Cúchulainn (Rum, Sodomy and the Lash)
The Velvet Underground - Candy Says (Self Titled)
The Velvet Underground - Sunday Morning (The Velvet Underground and Nico)
The Zombies - Care of Cell 44 (Odessey and Oracle)
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks (Astral Weeks)

All of the albums these tracks open are really fantastic as well IMO

In love with these 2021 UK Rap/Hip-hop albums.

Heard bits of Little Simz before and thought she was talented, but this album has blown me away completely. Everything just sounds so dreamy and her smooth voice just swims on some really well produced instrumentals ever so nonchalantly with a lot of interesting subject matter.

In contrast, Ghetts is someone whose music I've been big on since I was 11 years old. A lot of people (myself included) would consider Ghetts the UK GOAT as far as Grime goes, and watching him grow over the course of a career with consistently high levels of lyrical skill has been a treat. A lot of his older works focus a lot on lyrical ability, perhaps slightly too much, but this album shows that he's progressed as a musician to put out very well-rounded and high quality music.

Dave is so young but has been around the top of the UK Rap scene for a while now. Been very high on this guy since I was 18. In The Fire has a lot of features from top British rappers and will have you reloading the song every time someone's verse ends. A lot of social issue discussion for those interested in it.

My top favorite albums (in no particular order):

13 Deluxe Edition - Black Sabbath
Reaching Into Infinity - DragonForce
American V: A Hundred Highways - Johnny Cash
Superunknown - Soundgarden
Dirt - Alice in Chains
Back In Black - AC/DC
Reign in Blood - Slayer
Hamilton The Musical Soundtrack
Green Album - Weezer
Wildflowers and All The Rest - Tom Petty
Smoke + Mirrors Deluxe - Imagine Dragons
Rubber Soul - The Beatles
And All The People Said Amen - Matt Maher
Black Album - Metallica
The Years of Decay - Overkill
Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin
In God We Trust - Stryper

Last edited:

Tenshi

Absolute state of vibing
is a Live Chat Contributor
Spotify has just recently shown me this amazing Danish artist and I've been listening to Aventine almost nonstop for the past week. There's this lovely closeness to the instruments that makes it sound like you're in the room with the music, and the singing is haunting. If you like folk music with classical instrumentation I highly recommend giving her a shot.

earl

"TORTURED ACCOUNT"
is a Pre-Contributor
Sorted into 3 tiers, unordered within those tiers. Mostly confident on placements (still, stuff LDA/Floss/きくおミク6 could probably swap with stuff in the lower tier depending on my mood). Might try to come back around to this and get rid of duplicate artists. Finally feel like I've been listening to enough music to have a taste that I'm confident in, so check it out:
topsters2.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)