Media Your favourite albums?

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've not looked at my old 5x5 grid itt in any kind of detail to see if it's actually accurate or not but I wouldn't be surprised if I were to look at it and call it something along the lines of "demonstrably wrong," so I've decided to do something a bit different. Instead of one big grid I've done a few 3x3 grids for different "categories" of music bc I find it kinda unfair to directly compare certain types of things for one reason or another and because it makes it easier to streamline my thoughts.

I've included honourable mentions under any where there was an entry that was either in contention or was otherwise just short of what's needed for grid placement, and the albums on each grid aren't in any particular order. Also there are a handful number of individual songs that aren't on the listed albums which I wanna bring up too but they don't really fit onto any kind of grid just due to how the software works so I've just mentioned them.

Honourable mentions:
  • Jamiroquai - Return of the Space Cowboy
  • Benny Goodman - The Essential Benny Goodman
  • Scatman John - Scatman's World
  • Pierce the Veil - Collide With the Sky
  • Björk - Homogenic
  • Deep Purple - Machine Head
  • Madness - One Step Beyond
  • Nathan Carter - Wagon Wheel
  • AC/DC - Highway to Hell
  • The Beach Boys - All Summer Long
    • I wanna listen to more Beach Boys but I just haven't gotten around to more than this album.
  • Vetusta Morla - Un Día en el Mundo
Notable songs:
  • [Basically anyone] - Fly Me to the Moon
  • [Basically anyone] - Scarborough Fair/Scarborough Faire
  • Ian Dury and the Blockheads - Reasons to be Cheerful Part 3
  • Clannad - Siúil a Rún
  • Shakira - Hips Don't Lie
  • Ricky Martin - Livin' La Vida Loca
  • Bonnie Tyler - Holding Out for a Hero
  • Jamiroquai - [Basically every song he's ever produced]
  • Toploader - Dancin' in the Moonlight
  • The Seekers - Georgie Girl
  • Simon and Garfunkel - The Boxer
  • Simon and Garfunkel - Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M.
  • Stevie Wonder - Superstition
  • Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke
  • Earth, Wind & Fire - September
  • Jeff Buckley - Grace

Honourable mentions:
  • Kikuo - Kikuo Miku 3
  • a picture of her - C
  • Reol - No Title
  • Reol - Sigma
  • 385 - Ningen
  • KikuoHana - Second Act
  • Meme - Chi To Te To Chi
  • Ryuchi Sakamoto - 1996
  • Swinging Popsicle - Swinging Popsicle
Notable songs:
  • Swinging Popsicle - Perfect Loop
  • Hachi - Donut Hole
  • Hachi - Matryoshka
  • Sayuri - Hikari to Yami
  • Whiteflame - Senbonzakura
  • Yoshiko Sai - Taiji no Yume
  • Etsuko Yakushimaru - Kamisama no Iutoori
  • Masumi Ito - [Basically every song she's ever produced/co-produced]
  • Kuwagata-P - Kimi no Taion
  • T-Pocket - 1925
  • OSTER Project - Piano*Girl
  • Wagakki Band - Spinal Fluid Explosion Girl

Not gonna do honourable mentions etc. for OSTs because fUck that
Listed by franchise rather than by specific disc

I'd do movie/movie franchise OSTs too but I honestly don't remember enough movie OSTs well enough to reasonably make a full 3x3, in part because film/TV OSTs isn't really something I've started picking up on/listening to independently until around maybe 2 years ago(?) and, evidently, I've watched a lot more anime over the past two years than I have watched movies; off of the top of my head I can only think of Harry Potter, Star Wars, Shrek 2, The Blues Brothers and maybe one or two others for OSTs that really stuck out to me, granted that may be because it's 5:25 A.M. but WHATEVER. I might do that at some point but for now I'm just gonna leave it there.

Last edited:

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Idr the last one I did it or where the result is, but things changed somewhat since then.

I guess everyone here can guess my favorite genre: TRAP (jk I hate this shit and Hip Hop/Rap in general). I'm an Acid / Symphonic / Psychedelic / Prog Rock / Baroque pop guy. On order except for the top 2, which I gave a slight edge to 666 over Days of Future Passed only for alphabetical reasons. I know that there is less Pink Floyd here than there was in my previous one, and blame my break-up for that (it was my ex's favorite band, and when she abandoned me I couldn't listen to it for a long while which forced me to seek alternatives. Moody Blues and Aphrodite's Child offered me that refugee, and by that those are my favorite and 2nd favorite bands. Pink Floyd still remains my 3rd favorite, and I've come to appreciate the horribly underrated "Meddle" much more than my previous favorite "Relics" (although I still love it and "Arnold Layne" is still on my top 3 Pink Floyd songs). Makin this list I was surprised of how much Camel and how little Disco there was here. If anyone cares, I can make the rest 8 for a top 50. I'm still messing around with bands like Kayak, Kingdom Come, Magma and Amon Düül II (Krautrock in general), so this will likely change in the future.

666 - All Seats Were Occupied / The Four Horsemen
Days of Future Passed - Tuesday Afternoon / Nights in White Satin
Meddle - Echoes / Pillow of Winds
The Doors - Light My Fire / Alabama Song
Mirage - Earthrise / Lady Fantasy
It's Five O'Clock - It's Five O'Clock / Annabella
In Search of the Lost Chord - Voices in the Sky / Om
Relics - Arnold Layne / See Emily Play
To Our Children's Children's Children - Floating / Candle of Life
Turn of the Cards - Mother Russia / Black Flame

A Kind of Magic - One Year of Love / Princes of the Universe
War of the Worlds - Forever Autumn / The Eve of the War
Rumours - Dreams / You Make Loving Fun
On the Threshold of a Dream - Dear Diary / Lazy Day
A Momentary Lapse of Reason - Learning to Fly / Terminal Frost
Surrealistic Pillow - Today / Lather
Scheherazade and Other Stories - Ocean Gypsy / Song of Scheherazade
L.A. Woman - L.A. Woman / Riders on the Storm
Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player - Have Mercy on the Criminal / Crocodile Rock
Nude - Lies / Docks
Breathe Awhile - Birth, Life and Death / Poor Lady
Queen II - The March of the Black Queen / Seven Seas of Rhye

The Dark Side of the Moon - Any Colour You Like / On The Run
End of the World - End of the World / Valley of Sadness
Moonmadness - Air Born / Song Within a Song
Camel - Slow Yourself Down / Arubaluba
The Pipes at the Gates of Dawn - Bike / The Gnome
Snow Goose - Rhayader / The Snow Goose
A Song for All Seasons - Northern Lights / Opening Out
Wish You Were Here - Wish You Were Here / Shine on You Crazy Diamond pt I
Eyewitness - Ruthless Queen / Starlight Dancer
Animals - Dogs / Pigs (Three Different Ones)
Wake Up... It's Tomorrow - Sit With the Guru / Curse of the Witches
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds / When I'm Sixty-Four
Red Octopus - Miracles / Tumblin'
Atom Heart Mother - Atom Heart Mother Suite / Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast
Incense and Peppermints - The World's on Fire / Incense and Peppermints
Caribou - Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me / Grimsby
Heavy - Unconscious Power / Iron Butterfly Theme
I Heard It Through the Grapevine - I Heard It Through the Grapevine / You
A Question of Balance - Melancholy Man / Question
The Crazy World of Arthur Brown - Fire / Nightmare

Maybe I'll do a game one someday...

Reactions: tcr

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
topsters2 (1).png

I went through and updated my list and tried to cut it down to only 1 album per artist. hermit and the recluse and clockwork indigo were two artists that I felt were different enough to be included despite having shared group members. naturally my music taste typically involves listening to a lot of the artist's material. very tough choices, only the top 10 is accurately reflected with in order my favorite albums. everything else is only slightly in order by tier with the bottom 20 not really having any specific order

Eisenherz

επέκεινα της ουσίας
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Looking at everybody else's top albums was super interesting, so I thought I might as well join in! I also limited myself to one album per artist (that was tough!).

topsters2.png

absdaddy

Banned deucer.
album - artist

Aurora Gory Alice - Letters to Cleo
Celebrity Skin - Hole
Welcome to Sky Valley - Kyuss
Version 2.0 - Garbage
Dirt - Alice in Chains
Significant Other - Limp Bizkit
Proud like a God - Guano Apes
Fantasies - Metric

There's so many more though it's really hard to compile a top list

Last edited:

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Just Hip Hop albums as that's the genre I mainly listen to. This was tough asf, don't focus on the order too much I love a majority of the albums just the same. (The site glitched at the end there idk why) A good portion of this is drill music, which isn't for everybody but I personally love it. Probably forgot some that I love, but again this was so tough I couldn't think of anymore

albums2.png

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
topsters2 (1).jpg

Decided to make another top 10 to track the different artists I get in to over the years. One thing I've noticed is that this year has been rife with me trying to find weirder and weirder sounds. Some of my favorite albums I've listened to this year were Deloused in the Comatorium, Blackjazz, Virtue. I love how people are finding more and more creative ways to express their sounds over the years. I also notice I have a love of keyboard, and specifically jazz keyboard. Herbie Hancock, Keith Emerson, Ryo Fukui, all caught my attention more intensely. It really motivates me to spend time learning jazz on guitar and keyboard. Some people who I discovered that I absolutely love are Amy Whinehouse, Knocked Loose, and Recluse Raccoon. I'm in love with the back to black album for reasons I can't really explain. The Knocked Loose album goes hard, seeing them live is no joke. They hit a medium spot that gets me absolutely hyped to listen, their drums are aggressive and guitar riffs are riveting. I think it's insane their song "Counting Worms" goes so hard for only having two lines. Recluse Raccoon are a Richmond band I heard about. I really enjoy their lofi garage rock type sound mixed with the jazz elements. It's really cool they live so close to me too. I definitely feel myself moving away from bluesy dad rock stuff and more into a comfortable mix of old classics and new. I feel that rap has really disappointed me lately. Chance fell off, Rocky fell off, the Kanye album was OK but wouldn't make a top 50 list or beat yeezus. Igor was ok but i spun it once and it never really hooked me. The only rappers I've liked recently are still forever Doom and Big L. I had hoped the Earthgang or JID albums would deliver but they werent anything to brag about imo. I wonder if the transition from rap will continue or if I'll find someone I like again.

Attachments

end 2019

1. the stooges - funhouse (garage rock)
2. swans - the seer (post-rock)
3. sacramentum - far away from the sun (black metal)
4. dead kennedys - fresh fruit for rotting vegetables (hardcore punk)
---
5. big L - lifestylez ov da poor & dangerous (hip hop)
6. dead can dance - within the realm of a dying sun (darkwave)
7. massacra - final holocaust (death metal)
8. boards of canada - geogaddi (ambient)
9. mercyful fate - melissa (heavy metal)
10. black flag - nervous breakdown (hardcore punk)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)