Your Favourite Place (Route, City, etc.) in Pokemon

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
My favorite location would be Unova Route 10 due to the awesome music that really fits in the mood (you are on your way towards the League, the theme reminds you of your whole adventure. Unlike triumphing towards victory with confidence, however, you have to face the globally-threatening Team Plasma which possesses a giant behemoth while you cannot get yours to wake up). Also the last encounter with the rivals before the climax is also pretty lit.

I just had to do a double take because I don't think anyone mentioned any of the routes or cities in the north of Johto except for Ecruteak City (including the route with the Moomoo Farm, Lake of Rage, etc). For now, I'll discuss one because I think it's a doozy:
650px-Pokemon_GSC_map_Route_44.png

Johto Route 44 is a really neat little route you access after thwarting Team Rocket's plans in Goldenrod City. It rests between the quiet and mysterious Mahogany Town and the desolate, foreboding Ice Path. This route, however, is quite the sanctuary (the calm before the storm, if you will). You have a beautiful pond in the center of the valley, surrounded by lush forest trees, a small grassy island in between the bodies of water, and a small plateau to the west; in Heartgold and Soulsilver there is even a bridge to the south to cross the pond. As you progress to the east you have to climb a steep trail to reach the maw of the Ice Path. Despite the quaint scenery, this route is populated with many powerful trainers and offers a nice juxtaposition to the peace. One of the trainers to the north of the pond, Fisherman Wilton, will call you when he encounters a swarm of Remoraid. This leads me up to my last point: the Pokemon found here are awesome. The aformentioned Remoraid is a rare find that evolves into the fascinating Octillery. The center grass patch is home to Lickitung and Tangela as well, two encounters who are quite rare as well. Lastly, you can utilize Headbutt to encounter Heracross here. All in all, this route is quite a gem that fades into the background next to some of the other locations in this part of the region; I just wanted to take a moment to appreciate it.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I've always loved Nimbasa City when I first came across it in Pokémon Black 2. The music is what caught my attention immediately, and I remember as a kid just leaving my trainer in the city and turning my 3DS volume all the way up and just listening to it as I do other things because it was so catchy and upbeat. Overtime I found myself drawn to the general atmosphere of the city, such as the bustling vibe and the theme parks / entertainment feel. Not to mention it's also the home of my favorite gym leader of Unova, Elesa! Elesa was one of the most difficult gym leaders for me to defeat in all of Pokémon for me for some reason, it took multiple tries but I remember feeling so satisfied with myself once I had finally beaten her.

Three words: Volt Switch spam.

There are so many beautiful places in all games... Right now I was playing a bit of Pokémon X and arrived at Snowbelle. The route before it has some gorgeous views, but Snowbelle totally lives up to its name! The falling snow, the Abomasnow in town, the higher levels and the bridges, even the music... Overall, it is a pretty captivating atmosphere.

I saw a lot of people mention Route 119 in Hoenn, I've loved this route as well! Along the way, you climb higher and higher to reach a serene place like Fortree. It has an extra dimension when you navigate it with the acro bike, and some parts are only accessible by surfing and waterfalls. Also, the place is quite special for having different kinds of weather (rain, thunderstorms and clear skies). And since Wingull is one of my favourite Pokémon, I often saved my game in the house with 7 Wingulls! ^^

The Ranger series had some nice environments as well, but it has been a long time since I last played those...

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
Hey guys, I'm back and ready to bring back this discussion lol

Believe it or not, in the few months that I haven't posted on this thread, I've been able to come up with even more areas in Pokémon games that suit my fancy, all for their own reasons. Says a lot about Pokémon when I can't count the number of favorite areas of mine on two hands, doesn't it?

Route 6 (Unova): This entry is a bit more interesting because I only just started to appreciate everything the route has to offer. First off, it's huge and fun to explore like all the other routes in the region. It also has a pretty chill and catchy theme, too. My favorite part of this route, and another reason why I like Route 10 by similarity, is because of the Foongus you can find here. I'm actually Shiny Hunting one on White right now with no luck...uh, what else is there? It borders two cave areas, your first encounter with Cobalion is here in the sequels...yeah, just a pretty cool route, really.

Humilau City (Unova): Hey, remember when I said I'm an absolute sucker for resort style areas? Enter Humilau City from Black and White 2. Just...wow. Everything about this seaside city just makes my heart melt. Water is one of my favorite types by a long shot, but aside from having an underrated Water Gym Leader, there's also upbeat music, the photo face board thingy, connections to many areas including the underrated Marine Tube, and my personal favorite, the resort style houses where you can literally see through the floor towards the ocean. Can I live there, please?

Underwater (Hoenn): Here we have the relic of an HM that's been in only two regions, one of which only uses it for the Abyssal Ruins. Something about traveling underwater in the Hoenn games has always sat well with me. Yes, the movement speed can be slow, but it's worth it for the wild Pokémon, the new areas, that music, and just to relax a bit. Ive always wanted them to bring back Dive but make it an open-world style thing where you could maybe encounter rare Pokémon the deeper you go. Oh, and uh...YOU CAN RIDE A KYOGRE IN THE REMAKES. HECK YEAH.

PWT (Unova): Hey look, another Unova location. Maybe that's a sign...oh, who am I kidding, the PWT was the collect thing ever back in Black and White 2. You're able to fight all of the Gym Leaders AND Champions in a competitive style here, and you can get really cool prizes here too. Heck, at one point they even had DLC tournaments you could get! Everyone talks about the Battle Frontier, but honestly, I'd be even more hyped to see a remastered PWT come back in newer Pokémon games, complete with even more features and Trainers.

Victory Road (Sinnoh): This place is on here only because of an embarrassing childhood memory of mine that I love to laugh at myself for. Back when I first played my first Pokémon game, being Pearl before I was even a Pokémon fan (not sure of years), I had practically dominated all of the main areas of Sinnoh and was well on my way to beating the Pokémon League with my dream team of Infernape, Staraptor, and Palkia. That is, until somehow, I actually managed to accidentally get myself stuck in the waterfall room here. To this day, I'm still not sure how or when that happened, but no matter how many people don't believe me that it's possible to basically soft-lock there (or maybe I just got lost), that room with the waterfalls has always stuck with me. That room...it kinda scares me. Rather the thought of thinking about the fact that I could have beat the game and had the infamous Sinnoh league nostalgia with Cynthia...but I couldn't because I was and still am a stupid human being.

Last edited:
Lavender Town, hands down (only gen 1 tho)
wow, to think a town from a gen 1 pokemon game made when colors were just invented could be described as 'atmospheric' .
It's already a pretty dreadful place considering the town is home to a lovely tower that houses the spirits of dead pokemon, but the music is what really sells me. It's eerie and disturbing, and reminds me of the feeling that someone is stalking me (hell, even 5 years older since i originally heard the track it still creeps me out enough for me to look behind me to make sure i dont have any guests watching me).

not to mention the tons of creepy stories and theories, like Blue's dead raticate, "Lavender Town Syndrome" (just writing it sends shivers down my spine) and if you put the Lavender Town song through a certain software, the words "LEAVE NOW" spelt using Unown appears near the end of the song. Unown are gen 2 pokemon. holy shiz

I'm 100% sure that was just a practical joke. (Besides, any message would have been in Japanese.)
okay i looked it up again and it's not true. idk why i believed that little rumor even as a small, stupid child to begin with and didnt question it went writing that lol

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm 100% sure that was just a practical joke. (Besides, any message would have been in Japanese.)
Actually when it comes to spelling words out with the Unown it's a toss up if they use English words or transliteration of Japanese words. Think it depends on what's shorter to spell out. But, yeah, as you said, that example is a fanmade joke. :P

But back on topic, hmm, to see if we can start a conversation, I ask this: What is your favorite world in Ultra Space?

There's Megalopolis, Deep Sea, Jungle, Desert, Plant, Forest, Crater, and Ruins. There's also the four Wilds (Cliff, Water, Rocky, Cave) but they're rather bland compared to the one the native species are from.

And you can pick multiple. Since there's 8 (notable) worlds, if you want a limit I say three per post. I'll start:

Jungle: THE TREES ARE FLEXING! Do I need to say more? Well, I guess I could also mention the music is pretty funky and I love how Buzzhole makes its entrance by jumping out of a volcano.

Megalopolis: UGH, I'm so upset we didn't get to explore this world fully! A human inhabited world raised in darkness that once knew light, how would that affect their culture? Their structures have a unique appearance, shiny black and angular (obviously themed after Necrozma). And though we only meet four people from this world, the Ultra Recon Squad, you can already tell they're appearance have adapted to the light-less environment with pale skin and more pastel colored hair. This world is simply on my list from aesthetic alone.

Desert: It's a very pretty world and one of the most interesting to traverse as you need to use Poke Rides (notably Machamp to shove a GIGANTIC platform). I like the turquoise crystals, the sand that flows like water is neat, and it also seems to imply that the Pheromosa species build palace-like structures to live in which is neat.

Those are my picks though all the Ultra Space worlds has their notable features. Agree with my picks and reasons? Agree but have different reasons? Have other Ultra Space worlds you like better? Well I pass the thread to you.

Route 216 in Sinnoh is probably my all time favorite. First time I saw snow in a Pokémon game, great music, and where I'm about to finally evolve Eevee into one of my favorite Pokémon. By that point in the game, Eevee is normally the last Pokémon to evolve on my team so it also felt like everyone was fully grown up by then.

Route 225 in the Battle Zone is also amazing. I love the aesthetic of the Battle Zone being tropical compared to most of Sinnoh which is cold and mountainous. Being on that route for the first time with that music felt like a whole new adventure within the game. Which is pretty much what it was.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just had to do a double take because I don't think anyone mentioned any of the routes or cities in the north of Johto except for Ecruteak City (including the route with the Moomoo Farm, Lake of Rage, etc). For now, I'll discuss one because I think it's a doozy:
View attachment 157905
Johto Route 44 is a really neat little route you access after thwarting Team Rocket's plans in Goldenrod City. It rests between the quiet and mysterious Mahogany Town and the desolate, foreboding Ice Path. This route, however, is quite the sanctuary (the calm before the storm, if you will). You have a beautiful pond in the center of the valley, surrounded by lush forest trees, a small grassy island in between the bodies of water, and a small plateau to the west; in Heartgold and Soulsilver there is even a bridge to the south to cross the pond. As you progress to the east you have to climb a steep trail to reach the maw of the Ice Path. Despite the quaint scenery, this route is populated with many powerful trainers and offers a nice juxtaposition to the peace. One of the trainers to the north of the pond, Fisherman Wilton, will call you when he encounters a swarm of Remoraid. This leads me up to my last point: the Pokemon found here are awesome. The aformentioned Remoraid is a rare find that evolves into the fascinating Octillery. The center grass patch is home to Lickitung and Tangela as well, two encounters who are quite rare as well. Lastly, you can utilize Headbutt to encounter Heracross here. All in all, this route is quite a gem that fades into the background next to some of the other locations in this part of the region; I just wanted to take a moment to appreciate it.
I also loved this place because back in Gen 2 I always seemed to catch the roamers here, or below Ecruteak.

Chargestone Cave
Normally, this would make my highlights for being out there compared to other caves in the series. But it's actually here for the pokemon it contains. The Klink, Joltik, Drilbur, and Ferroseed lines are some of my favourite mons in general, while I still find Gigalith and the Tynamo lines near the top of my gen 5 preferences. I don't quite just find my ideal team for Unova in this one area, but it's surprisingly close.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
This is the most normie pick imaginable but here we go
1626833001772.png

This titanic spire is easily a top 5, no, a top 3 location for the main series and probably the closest it has ever come to full-on Metroidvania design. The funny thing is that when you actually look at it on a site like Bulbapedia, it’s way less rooms than you remember or expect, but when you’re playing the game yourself you’ll never realize that because for the DS Game Freak did an outstanding job making it feel massive and sprawling, with the player guaranteed to voyage through its chambers all throughout their quest at different points and with a treasure trove of secret areas and items to find if they are so inclined to keep their eyes peeled and return later with the right HMs. It is the glue that holds Sinnoh together as well as its single greatest encapsulation, having all of size, scope and an unbreakable connection to the Legendaries via Spear Pillar resting at its summit. And of course we can't forget its brilliant role in the climax with the aforementioned temple to Sinnoh's gods and the climactic, intense summit theme.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well, my last post was two years ago (and was the last post here before being revived, glad to see the discussion I tried to start up took off... oh well, I like this thread so I'm okay with it coming back) and since than Sword & Shield came out so...

• Motostoke: Can't argue with a steampunk city aesthetic, love the gear elevator in the center of the city. Only complaint is we don't get to fully explore the entire city, just the "front" of it (a problem most of Galar big cities have). Still, style points can get you far.

• Galar Mine (the first one): It just gets point alone for the surprise Carkol, lol. Though aside from that the gems on the wall looks pretty.

• Stow-on-Side: I like the vertical exploration with how many of the buildings have ladders leading up to connected rooftops & additional ladders leading higher or lower to unreachable hidden spots.

• Glimwood Tangle & Ballonlea: Both share the "magical mushroom forest" aesthetic, Ballonlea going full fey city while Glimwood Tangle was more like your typical twisty forest... thought it had sauntering Impidimp and that makes all the difference. Then again, we were forced to watch a "livestream" of it for 24 hours with barely anything happening until finally showing us Galarian Ponyta (one which was rendered without its tail which you'd think they would have caught being it's supposed to be the payoff scene...). Ballonlea is also the location of one of the interesting side quests in the game and can't say the Gym's gimmick isn't funny when it continues into the Gym match with totally bias questions. Eh, let's just say it's a draw between the two/they're one in the same.

• Route 8: Our first interesting route, can't go wrong exploring through some ruins and has a few fun uses with overworld Pokemon (notably the Falinks either talking fast or slow through the small tunnels & the Crustle at the end pretending to be a wall blocking off a side path).

• Circhester: Oh my Arceus, is this a sizable city that we can fully explore?! The two hotels were a fun idea and had pretty fancy hot springs.

• Route 9: Had we ever had a route where we swam between ice sheets? I don't think so which makes this pretty unique. Not really much else to say though, I guess the route trainers are fun odd bunch (like the sun bathing Swimmers, the male famously using the small Wailord (must have shrunk in the cold...)). Guess there was also the murderous Grappoloct who came at you like a horror movie slasher if it so much got a glimpse of you.

• Wyndon: Wyndon BARELY makes it on here because it is fun seeing the real world London landmarks Poke-ified, though it does get heavy point deductions for only letting use explore 4 compact locations (at the very least let us ride the ferris wheel!). If you're wondering, this is why Spikemuth isn't here as it's a neat looking place... but just a long hallway when you get down to it.

• Isle of Armor & Crown Tundra: And of course gotta give a shoutout to the DLC areas which saved the Wild Area concept. Now I'm excited to see what they could do with future Wild Areas now that GF knows what to do with it (and hopefully puts the effort into making it fun to explore... it's totally being removed after Gen VIII, isn't it?). Funny thing, while Crown Tundra was said to be the area based on exploration, I had more fun exploring the Isle of Armor because it had a bunch of different biomes (does it make sense they're so close to one another? No, but this is Pokemon so we can BS that the native Pokemon adjusted the environment to fit their preference). But both had its plethora of secrets, wounding paths, "where am I going, eh I'll just keep going until I hit something" moments, and plenty of sights to behold.

Daylight

angels roll their eyes
is an Artistis a Contributor to Smogon
Maybe it’s just because it’s fresh in my mind,(I’ve recently been playing through white 2) but the first thing that comes to mind is that my favorite Gym in the series is *easily* Elesa’s b2w2 runway show.

84C129D4-2124-4C65-86EE-857E3371E048.jpeg

The crowd, the lights, the dialogue, the music, the gym-trainers-as-runway-models all make it feel so fun & immersive. I also just love how after defeating Elesa she has you walk down the runway with her & Clyde says “why you’re a… a supermodel!” when you talk to him before leaving.

1629671097379.jpeg

Maybe also because—again—it’s fresh in my mind, but the secret garden in Castelia City also feels like really special & magical location.

F3CB6651-A654-46AE-9571-4549E11C6A89.png

I find it hard to put my finger on exactly why, but I also find it hard not to love Undella Town. Maybe it’s the seasonal aspect of it or the really calming music or just because I love being by the water. Either way, for me, it’s a really memorable location.

1629671261451.jpeg

Speaking of coasts, I’ve also always really liked the Muraille Coast (Route 8) in Kalos. I love how you traverse it in two ways, up on the cliffs & down on the beach—and the music is fantastic. (I also loved how the routes in XY also had names in addition to numbers—can we go back to that?)

5CC067A9-2A5B-47BB-9831-D69EF167DF84.jpeg

I actually think Kalos actually has a lot of really beautiful & memorable locations. Highlights for me include Reflection Cave, Laverre City (love the witching hour clock), and the entirety of the Kalos Pokémon League but especially Diantha’s Radiant Chamber. In my opinion, I think it’s actually the most beautiful & memorable of all the various Champion chambers. I love the stained glass and the ethereal gossamer curtains and the light and the gothic-cathedral-inspired architecture.

B7E48313-5725-49AF-B5BE-954B4500D345.jpeg

Moving on to the side series, I am kind of shocked that not a single location in Orre has been mentioned yet (that I saw). It’s such a unique region with such a unique and special vibe. Pyrite Town is iconic. The Under is iconic. The stadiums are iconic. Even the Outskirt Stand is iconic. They did an incredible job of creating this atmosphere of a rough & lawless wasteland that’s somehow also incredibly charming.

1629672083295.png

1629672152338.jpeg

1629672346149.jpeg

1629672704019.png

1629672801168.png

That aside, while the Hidden Land and the Dark Future from PMD2 have been rightly mentioned, I’m also surprised nobody has mentioned Fogbound Lake yet. I always thought it was a particularly magical location and a very strong setting for the story moment that takes place there.

1629672956257.png

1629672992902.png

Last edited:
Per the first five regions, here are my favorite places.

Kanto: Seafoam Islands - Completely optional, encouraging exploration. Relatively complex puzzle combining Strength with the fast currents. Cool lore as the home of Articuno (pun intended).

Johto: Union Cave - Interesting dungeon encouraging backtracking at the midpoint of the game. Relatively challenging trainers if you choose to backtrack at the earliest possible point. Again cool lore as the home of Lapras (pun intended again), a very valuable Pokémon in the Johto games for what should be an obvious reason.

Hoenn: Route 119 - Fascinating route aesthetically. First time we ever saw rain in the overworld. Tall grass was also very exotic and new at the time. Did a good job of demarking the second half of the game after now having Surf to open up the east side of the map.

Sinnoh: Route 216 - Already mentioned in my first post.

Unova: Twist Mountain - Nice use of verticality in this location. Quite tough trainers too. Cool use of seasons, opening and closing certain areas.

I'll do my favourites for each region (except Kanto, Hoenn, and Alola, since I haven't played games set in those two regions before)

Johto: The town that has those sports-themed Pokemon tournaments. These were fun to compete it and something that I think should be bought back in later games.

Sinnoh: Hearthrome City. Lots of areas to explore here, with some good battles surrounding the city.

Unova: Nimbassa City. Lots of going on in this city centre. Plenty of places to visit.

Lumiose City: It's got a great soundtrack and huge city centre to explore. It can be fun to roller-skate around in the game. Didn't realise how well the soundtrack fitted this city until a second playthrough of the Kalos games.

Galar: Wyndom. It's a huge city to explore eith some great scenary and a very impressive finalee stadium for the champion battle to take place in.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
I'll do my favourites for each region (except Kanto, Hoenn, and Alola, since I haven't played games set in those two regions before)

Johto: The town that has those sports-themed Pokemon tournaments. These were fun to compete it and something that I think should be bought back in later games.

Sinnoh: Hearthrome City. Lots of areas to explore here, with some good battles surrounding the city.

Unova: Nimbassa City. Lots of going on in this city centre. Plenty of places to visit.

Lumiose City: It's got a great soundtrack and huge city centre to explore. It can be fun to roller-skate around in the game. Didn't realise how well the soundtrack fitted this city until a second playthrough of the Kalos games.

Galar: Wyndom. It's a huge city to explore eith some great scenary and a very impressive finalee stadium for the champion battle to take place in.
You guys wouldn't mind if I hop on the "favorite place in each region" bandwagon, would you? No? Excellent. In older posts I've touched on some of them already, but hopefully this will be more of a concrete list. I'm also going to be adding certain spin-off regions, so if anyone has any questions about those, feel free to send them my way. Okay, let's do this. This is going to be a really long one.

Kanto: I can't quite wrap my head around why, but there's something about Cerulean City that I find extremely nostalgic for some reason. I like how the local cave has different layouts in every game it's in, and this tends to be around the point of Kanto's early-game that I enjoyed the most. The Johto-based games add some extra story bits here and there, including the famous Rocket Grunt on the Nugget Bridge and that part where you interrupt Misty on a date. I like to tell myself that this ship with an unnamed NPC remains canon.

Johto: Picking a spot from my favorite main series region would be hard if Route 47 didn't exist in the remakes. Ecruteak/Cianwood City was already relaxing enough with that song, but for a route that exists solely to be a path to the new Safari Zone (and a place for the most inappropriate Double Battle joke in the series), the developers (pun intended) put their freaking hearts and souls into this route with my pick for the best route theme in Pokémon history and tons of cool little spots to explore amongst the cliff-based scenery.

Hoenn: This pick might actually come as a bit of a surprise to some of you, but I'm actually going to select the Sky area from ORAS for this one. It took me much longer to notice the connection than I'd like to admit, but at the end of the day, soaring with Lati Twins will likely be the closest any of the main series games gets to re-creating any part of the spin-off game I consider amongst my own. Quick honorable mention real quick to Hoenn's iteration of Victory Road, making this one of only two dual nominations in the entire list.

Orre (GameCube saga): Give me Phenac City, straight out of the Pokémon Colloseum opening sequence for one reason alone. You can get the Johto Eeveelutions and a Level 30 Shadow Johto starter straight out of the gate. With Espeon and Feraligatr both being among my top favorites in the series... how could I pass that up? Seriously, how?

The Sevii Islands: This is the first of four different sub-areas of a region that I'll be counting as its own location. None of the spots here are particularly stand-out favorites for me, but one spot in particular that I only just recently learned about makes me chuckle every time I think about it. There's a hidden tall grass area in Three Isle Port where the only wild Pokémon that can spawn there is Dunsparce. Even if you're in the majority that dislikes the little guy (I'm not), you've got to admit that an area having only it is pretty hilarious.

Fiore (Ranger): The Jungle Relic is a boss rush area done right, something we don't see too often in any Pokémon game. This volcanic area is where the game's difficulty really starts to spike upwards, while having very important story relevance unlike something such as an Elite Four run in main series games. The whole mission almost has this "Ocarina of Time" vibe to it. Unfortunately, this analogy won't make sense to you unless you've placed at least one of those two games. Or both.

Sinnoh: I'm just going to say it... Sinnoh's not one of my favorite regions in any particular aspect, from gameplay to characters and most things in between. I feel like I'd enjoy it more if Hoenn didn't do a lot of what Sinnoh did first. At least when Johto did this with Kanto it made sense because it was a sequel. With this logic, my favorite area in Sinnoh would likely be any of the more unique ones. I'm not counting the Underground as legal for this list, but either way, my selection here would go to Route 209 for that incredible song, rivaled only by Johto's Route 47 for me. The Smash Bros. Brawl remix is somehow even better, and I highly recommend it.

The Battle Zone: Located northeast of mainland Sinnoh, my favorite spot in this area would probably be the Resort Area. Choosing any of the routes there for that absolute vibe of a song is really tempting, but the famous Magikarp pond will never get old. That, and you can pretty much live in your own villa with NPCs visiting the player for a change. I wish people would want to socialize that much in real life.

Almia (Ranger 2): Boyleland gives me such hard New Super Mario Bros. DS vibes that I actually got its song and World 3's theme from that game mixed up for the longest time, despite this being the volcano-side town as opposed a beachy area. This town gets the jump over other places in Almia thanks to its replayability due to the player coming here twice, each time for a different mission. In the off chance your all-time favorite Pokémon in the series is Mime Jr., this is also where you get it as one of only four guaranteed Partner Pokémon options outside of side quests.

Oblivia (Ranger 3): Does nominating the entire region count as cheating? I feel like this is cheating. If I do have to go with just one area, I'd probably go with the Aqua Resort- a peaceful town with older people who are fun to talk to and just seems like the kind of place that was made for me to enjoy. The main way to get here in the game is by flying, too- shoutouts to ORAS's reference from the Hoenn nomination.

Unova (BW): From a gameplay perspective, there's unfortunately not too much reason to play the first games when the second games have all of the Pokémon and most of the returning content. Out of the areas exclusive to the originals, Route 10 and Victory Road were probably the ones I enjoy the most. The question is, do I pick Route 10 for the music or Victory Road for those really fun cliff slopes? I'll let you decide.

Unova (B2W2): Have you noticed a pattern with my previous nominations? For whatever reason, I'm obsessed with water-themed areas, and the Marine Tube is no different. It's the newest of Unova's five "bridge" locations, and thanks to the Abyssal Ruins's mechanics, was the first real dose of "unrestricted underwater exploration" I was able to enjoy prior to Hoenn's 3DS release.

Kalos: I really, really enjoyed the Frost Cavern in Kalos for one very simple reason. FINALLY, after all these years, we can slide diagonally on ice tiles. I still remember discovering the ability to do this by accident back in 2013, and I was just... completely shocked. Fun fact- This area was originally going to have a static encounter with a free Abomasnow, too. Unfortunately, this never made it into the final game and the one that lives in the cave just kind of... sits there for the rest of eternity.

Alola: Remember when I said ORAS would be the only main series game that reminded me of Guardian Signs? Yeah, well... I lied. Between the riding Pokémon aspect, the multiple islands format (Yes, I know Alola's based on Hawaii), and the fact that Iki Town is literally just Cocona Village 2.0... you will never be able to convince me that some of this was done on purpose.

Galar: I don't dislike Sword and Shield nearly as much as I used to, although it's still my least favorite area on this list overall. One place I have to respect, though, is the Glimwood Tangle. We all remember, the famous 24-hour livestream, but even outside of that, this feels like the one place in mainland Galar that wouldn't give my autistic OCD brain a sensory overload in real life, and that's pretty huge. Who needs loud cities and Pokémon Gyms with Dynamaxing when you can go to a relaxing, colorful ambient forest and just chill there instead?

The Isle of Armor: I can't say that I've ever fully invested myself in this area... or any places in Galar for that matter, but the Towers of Mastery seems like such a unique spin on the uninspired idea of a standard Battle Tower. What really sells this place as a favorite for me is the implementation of Urshifu, a Pokémon that I haven't used in-game (because that requires me to play Sword and Shield), but I would absolutely kill for to see in other games like Pokkén or Smash Bros.. If this were to ever happen, either of the towers or maybe the Dojo itself could all suffice as viable stage options.

The Crown Tundra: I don't think I've ever met anyone who doesn't at least partially enjoy the Dynamax raid dens. Given my tendency to not enjoy generational battle gimmicks, I was surprised that something as unique as the Shiny mechanics could change my opinions on the Max Lair so easily. If the Tundra's whole spiel is about collecting Legendary Pokémon, it can be nice to take a break from the main content of this half of the DLC while still having fun.

Hisui: Out of the five main zones seen in Legends: Arceus, the Cobalt Coastlands were predominantly my favorite by a wide margin. Legends came out at a weird time for me as both a Pokémon fan and a young adult, and one of the things that convinced me to even give the game a shot was that a good friend of mine said that the Coastlands (and parts of the Highlands) would likely be my favorite part of the story. Unsure of what they meant by this, I went in wondering what to expect, only to be met with not only the more tropical kind of climate I've grown to love, but an incredible flute performance from Irida followed by a deep dive into some of the characters of the Pearl Clan. Feel free to tease me about this, but those flute performances in tandem with Irida's general character development touched me so much that I was genuinely reminded of when we were all younger and would ship ourselves with fictional game characters. (Don't lie, you know you did it.) All that because of a trip to the beach. I guess my friend got the last laugh after all.

Eh, sure. Should probably skip battle facilities though, list would get a bit samey otherwise.

Kanto- Power Plant
It was a long time before I actually went to Kanto in one of the games. I started with MD Blue and Emerald and didn't look back, so it wasn't until HGSS that I saw the region "in person". But I had read scattered books, and so had at least a passing familiarity with where Kanto mons were found. And what were my favourite Kanto mons? My first Legendary and one of the first mons I interacted with of course. Which naturally were Zapdos and Magnemite respectively.

Johto- Route 47
The vertical cliffs stand out among the tile-based games as a whole. Nearly everywhere else at least has one tile width on a slope, while this doesn't.

Hoenn- Route 113
Another route with an exotic theme. Even if actually getting something out of it was tedious, being able to show a path being made through the ash is nice regardless. Also has great music and Skarmory.

Sinnoh- Central Underground
1659467441129.png

That part. The Underground as a whole was a lot of fun to explore, and I considered the smaller parts to have an air of exclusivity compared to the big section encompassing most of the region. The smallest and thus most exclusive part narrowly beats the part under the postgame Battle Zone

Unova- Chargestone Cave
See my previous post

Kalos- Anistar City
I consider it to have one of the better town themes in general, and its landmark looks a lot better than Prism Tower.

Alola?- Ultra Plant
Ah, Alola. A land where nature is forefront. Makes you just want to sit at the base of a tree with calming music and take it all in. Ultra Space is where I really felt like the scenery in a Pokemon game could actually be impressive in its own right, not just as a comparison. That I actually could have been excited for an exploration-based game like Legends if only they embraced the fantasy that was pushed to the side. Instead, we got boring, non-glowing, plant-based trees.

Galar- No Data
There's probably a joke here about Greenland.

My single favorite location in the Pokemon World is the Kalos Pokemon League.

The Pokemon League theme plays inside the Pokemon Center instead of the Pokemon Center theme, which is a nice touch and seems to give more gravity to the idea that you are preparing your team for battle against the five most skilled trainers in the region. The outside area is just about perfect, and if you stand at a certain location on the stairs, you can get a great view of the building. The building itself looks unnecessarily large, but it is very beautiful and imposing at the same time. There are two Veterans in the front room of the building to tell you exactly how the Pokemon League works, in case one hasn't figured out what's going on. Each of the Elite Four's battle chambers has its own name and environment, instead of there being a single generic chamber all four members use. The Elite Four battle theme is the single best music piece in the entire game, in my opinion. Both the Radiant Chamber and the Champion Diantha battle theme are well done. I have a few criticisms of the area that I will explain below.

The Elite Four and Champion do not upgrade their teams in subsequent matches. There are several ways this could have been done, such as giving the Elite Four five or six Pokemon each, giving each of them a Mega Evolution Pokemon, or just increasing the levels of their Pokemon by 10-15 levels each. Or, ideally, release Pokemon ZX / ZY all three. Instead... they appear at the Battle Chateau. The only problem with that is that their teams are significantly weaker at the Battle Chateau than at the Pokemon League! Each Elite Four member only carries 3 Pokemon, and their Pokemon are 8 levels lower than when you first battle them. For a concept that has become standard throughout the rest of the series, the lack of upgraded Pokemon League rematches left me severely disappointed. The display of the emblems of all 18 Pokemon types is nice and pretty and all, except the Champion has two duplicate Pokemon types on his / her team: Rock and Dragon, which still annoys me greatly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)