Your first Pokemon game

What was your first Pokemon game?

• Total voters

Lass Rosie

Banned deucer.
1) My first ever Pokemon game was Emerald. I chose Torchic because it was cute.
2) I actually can't choose between Emerald and White. Emerald had amazing music and storyline, but White had philosophy and Stunfisk. And N <3.
3) I thought you literally had to catch them ALL, and spent all my money on Poke Balls. I didn't buy a single healing item, which made the E4 and Champion very hard, and filled nearly all the boxes.

My first game was Fire Red. I got it from my cousin. He couldn't beat the Elite Four w/a Lv 100 Charizard.
I chose bulbasaur, and named it Bulbums.
I must have got a glitchy copy of FR, because first encounter was a Lv. 50 Articuno on Route 1.
No Joke.
Now I knew absolutely NOTHING about Pokemon, so I tried to flee (I didn't have Pokeballs anyway).
I actually got away XD.
My little brother wanted to beat Erika's Gym, so I let him.
Turns out he did not, he only beat the trainers NEXT to Erika and thought he beat Erika.
So I reset the game after I couldn't get past Route 23 because I didn't have the RainbowBadge.

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My first Pokemon game was Sapphire! I got it with my first ever Gameboy Advance SP <3 I picked a Treecko and I named it SCEPY, which now doesn't really make any sense because how did I know that Treecko evolved into Sceptile? Maybe through the anime, as I'm not sure how much I had seen at that point. I really love Sapphire but Emerald and ORAS are probably my favorites, but they're basically the same so let's say yes. When I first started the game I thought my level had to be REALLY high so I'm pretty sure I had evolved my starter before or after the first Gym because I battled so many wild Pokemon.

A) First game was HeartGold, got it shortly after it's release because I heard from some friends it was cool. It ended up being more awesome than I could ever imagine.

B) Of course it's my favorite game! Only bad thing is that growing up with that as my first game, I have very high expectations for games in terms of postgame, because two regions n_n

C) I thought the pokeball symbol that means that you have caught the pokemon, meant that it was catchable :P Could not figure out how you get the fishing rod, as I did not have a pokemon with Surf. When I found the fisherman with the Good Rod in Olivine I was so happy that I could carry on through the game. Also I was overall just a total noob, struggling with almost every gym leader, with a very unbalanced team.

A) My first game was Pearl for $5 at a garage sale. I was looking around on this table and I saw it, and I gasped. Sure, it had a save already... and I didn't know how to delete it so I kept losing my Piplup, but once that was fixed I was all ready with my new Turtwig. I guess offically though, my VERY first game was playing Pokemon Stadium with my cousins.

B) Actually, Pearl is not my favorite. I never finished it (CURSE YOU FANTINA AND YOUR STUPID LEVITATE POKEMON!) but my favorite starter is in it. Gotta love Turtwig. My favorite is Alpha Sapphire, as I love the story and the amazing Delta Episode in the end.

C) I kept trying to play again... and again... and again, and the save wouldn't work because someone had left the save on there before selling it. That intro when you get your starter got so boring to me before I finally restarted the game properly. I also thought Pachirishu was an Ice type.

I'm curious to know:

A) What your first Pokemon game was?

B) Is your first game also your favourite game (if not, which one is?)

C) Anything funny you did when you first got the game cause you were new to the series?

The purpose of this is mostly for seeing how many players come from each generation, and if there's a certain generation that is especially active on Smogon. From what I can personally tell, most players are either 1st or 4th gens. Quite the gap, so I wanted to get some more accurate statistics. Plus hearing stories about your first game is exciting :D

My first game was Diamond when I was in elementary school, chose Piplup for starter, Empoleon and Sinnoh will always be my favourite starter/region. My favourite game would have to be Platinum though, cause for a directors cut thingy, they added A LOT, especially to the story and places you could go, which I loved. Plus that was the game I caught Darkrai and Shaman on for the first time by Action Replaying in the special events. Girantina Origin form and the Distortion World were also just so, so cool.
When I first started playing, I didn't understand that you only needed 1 of each Pokemon. But I had one hell of a Bidoof collection, so not a total loss... More or less...
My first game was Pearl. Although I was around in 3rd Gen, I wasn't really into Pokemon until an ex-friend of mine- who I will call Dragon Breath- introduced it to me. Dragon Breath already chose Diamond, so I got Pearl. Still, Pearl is awesome. I don't want to hear the "too slow" crap. I have no idea what you guys are talking about. You're always in a rush to spoil the surprises of the game instead of taking it at a nice pace. But whatever. My main team was my female Torterra, Leaflink (Leaf = Grass, Link = Green). Leaflink was an HM Slave by the time I made it to the E4. Because I was stupid. And my other member was Lamp the Palkia, who only had Dragon type moves. I had no idea how I beat Cynthia. I played this game forever. I was almost at 999:99. Through that time, Leaflink got an actually decent moveset- same with Lamp- as I grew to understand the game a bit more.

Pearl is not my favorite game. I've played it for so long that something new was so refreshing. Platinum is loads better than Pearl, and I heavily enjoyed it. My favorite game is either Heart Gold or White 2. Tough call. Heart Gold was a treasure, with the best graphics on the DS from a Pokemon game. It was a very artistic game and a very fun experience. All of it was pretty nice.

I can't say I did. Besides the fact that my starter was an HM Slave and my Palkia was mono-dragon attack Palkia beat the Elite Four.

Ace

ᴅ ᴇ ᴀ ᴅ
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A) what your first pokemon game was?
First my pokemon game(s) was Emerald and Leaf Green, I bought them together with my Gameboy SP.

B) is your first game also your favorite game?
Leaf Green was my favourite game since I recognized a lot of the characters from the anime but Emerald slowly got ahead of it. Soul Silver had the most hours played on it and I enjoyed XY and DPP as well so that's a tough question. I have phases. :p

C) anything funny you did when you first got the game cause you were new to the series?
Wasting my master ball, using rare candies on pokemon that were just a few XP from leveling up anyway, running away from a shiny Gastly...

My very first pokemon game was Leaf Green and I got it because I like the color green more on the cartridge. Plus FireRed is soo mainstream :P

Well I wouldn't say it's my favorite game, but it's definitely not unnoticed. It would probably be my 2nd favorite game next to White. It's a really fun game don't get me wrong, but I just have a bit more nostalgia with the Black and White series as a whole.

C) Anything funny you did when you first got the game cause you were new to the series?
I actually had a lot of fun link trading pokemon, but I was quite surprised when I found out you can trade pokemon from Sapphire and so I did with a friend, keep in mind I haven't played Sapphire/Ruby yet, and I had a chuckle looking at this fabulous beast

First Pokemon game I played was Pokemon Diamond when I was around 8 or 9 years old on an R4 card. At the time, I thought pokemon was stupid and didn't understand why it was so popular. However, when I invited my best friend at the time, I let him use my DS and he played Pokemon Platinum on the r4 card. He managed to convince me how fun the Pokemon games were, but didn't want me to play Platinum on the R4 card because he got quite far in the game. Luckily, I had Diamond on the same R4 card and he told me to play that, as fundamentally, Diamond and Platinum are the same games. After that day, I played Diamond for almost 8 hours straight daily because of how fun the game was at the time.
Nope. After playing Platinum (my friend let me continue his adventure since he couldn't come over to my house as frequently) I started to notice a huge amount of issues in Diamond, such as the ridiculously slow Surf speed, lack of Pokemon, etc. Platinum was a damn good game and fixed a lot of issues Diamond had, but still wasn't my favorite. I would say my favorite Pokemon games are either HGSS or Black 2 and White 2.
In battles, I only trained my starter. I didn't really care about the other Pokemon in my party as much and almost never used them. I was able to steamroll through most of the game this way, but the fights against team plasma admins, as well as certain gym leaders very hard. Because I was also playing this game on an R4 card, I hacked the game after I caught Dialga and leveled every Pokemon in my team to level 100. I was then able to steamroll through the elite four with no issues. I also was able to activate all the mystery gift event despite my DS not being connected to wifi at the time.

My first Pokemon game was Diamond when I was about 8 or so. My dad had purchased me a Cyclo evolution card of some sort, basically a lower classed R4. At the time, I had no knowledge of how to play, and to add to that my game was in Spanish xD. However, I was able to get to Jubilife city before getting eternally lost not even knowing that I was supposed to talk to the clowns and answer those questions. Regardless of my frustration I enjoyed Pokemon Diamond, and still RNG Pokemon in it to this day.

Hmm, is it my favourite game? I'd have to say no. Due to the delay of damage and slow surfing mechanics it was not my favourite game, and although Platinum DID fix some of the issues, Soul Silver was definitely my favourite game. I can even remember battling Ash with my level 89 Typhlosion <3 memories.

As for anything funny i've done. Besides only leveling only my starter and only using attacking moves, probably getting stuck in Twinleaf town for 30 minutes was just plain stupid, I feel as though it really brought back an 8 year old's determination to strive and play the game I enjoy the most; Pokemon.

Yellow version, I played it on the very old Gameboy Color. These were times. :D I remember I played it almost every moment, everywhere. I still can't believe how much fun is hidden behind 8-bits. :)

Nope, my favourite is Pokemon Emerald. Why? Even myself exactly don't know why.

Yeah, I leveled my Pikachu up to level 80 on low-level Pokemons in meadows of Vermilion, since I couldn't find out how to further proceed in the game.

my first pokemon game was platinum.
i was eight at the time and me and my sister were sitting on my bed. (she was watching me play it)
it was all going well, i had chosen piplup and i was just walking around unintentionally grinding up piplup.
I went to the toilet and left my ds with my sister, saying she could do a few battles. after about a minute, i heard her screaming at me to come quickly. The screen was glowing blue and piplup was turning into this white silhouette. I panicked and got really really pissed at her, checked the game again and suddenly i had a prinplup. Then i remembered the manual had mentioned this thing called evolution.
And no, even though platinum is my second favourite, white tops it because it has the best story and cutscenes.

my first pokemon game was platinum.
i was eight at the time and me and my sister were sitting on my bed. (she was watching me play it)
it was all going well, i had chosen piplup and i was just walking around unintentionally grinding up piplup.
I went to the toilet and left my ds with my sister, saying she could do a few battles. after about a minute, i heard her screaming at me to come quickly. The screen was glowing blue and piplup was turning into this white silhouette. I panicked and got really really pissed at her, checked the game again and suddenly i had a prinplup. Then i remembered the manual had mentioned this thing called evolution.
And no, even though platinum is my second favourite, white tops it because it has the best story and cutscenes.
That reminds me of my Diamond once more, where I didn't know that Pokémon could evolve twice. I could not defeat Gardenia for some reason (I deleted Peck, and never tried to use any Pokémon other than Prinplup for some forgotten reason) and was just stuck in the route to the right of Eterna City, just grinding away until the stats were good enough to compensate for its Grass weakness. I spent a lot of time in that route, and was just fainting away Pokémon when suddenly, Prinplup began shining white. You have no idea how stunned I was when that happened.

Then I killed Gardenia. :]

That reminds me of my Diamond once more, where I didn't know that Pokémon could evolve twice. I could not defeat Gardenia for some reason (I deleted Peck, and never tried to use any Pokémon other than Prinplup for some forgotten reason) and was just stuck in the route to the right of Eterna City, just grinding away until the stats were good enough to compensate for its Grass weakness. I spent a lot of time in that route, and was just fainting away Pokémon when suddenly, Prinplup began shining white. You have no idea how stunned I was when that happened.

Then I killed Gardenia. :]
heh, nice

A: Technically, my first Pokemon game was Pokemon Emerald. However, I don't really count that, because I was 5 at the time and I only played it for 5 minutes before getting it taken back by the guy who had brought it. Really, the first Pokemon game of my own was, actually, Pokemon Red on an emulator. I was in 3rd grade at the time, and I was overwhelmingly into Pokemon. It was the thing in elementary school, so, even though I had no games of my own, my parents did have a computer, which I used to look up Pokemon every day after school. That's also how I discovered Let's Plays. Eventually I worked my way to an online site that allowed you to download old Pokemon Games... FOR FREE! This, of course, blew my mind at the time, so I downloaded VBA and a copy of Pokemon Red, and started to play. I never actually completed that game, but I still remember it to this day.

B: Nah. My favorite is probably ORAS, because it's the newest and has a huge amount of content. I'd have a living dex right now if I hadn't lost the cart. :pirate:

C: Being unable to get out the first door. Also, I think my first Red ROM was glitched, so I couldn't get the Parcel. That was fun.

I technically got pokemon emerald and pokemon diamond at the same time. However, I played pokemon diamond before I played pokemon emerald and honestly I can say pokemon Diamond was a great game. Emerald was also great. As I reflect upon that childhood I had I can honestly say that was the only good thing that happened to me in my last year in Elementary school (last year of elementary school was hell for me). Pokemon holds a small sentimental value to me which is why I play it still. Pokemon Emerald was also a great game and I ended up playing it more because my friend broke my ds lite so I was only able to play GBA games for a while. The cloning glitch in emerald blew my mind away:)
Sadly no pokemon diamond is not my favorite game. Generation 4 is my favorite generation though. It's hard to say though what is my favorite game. I like heartgold and soul silver a lot. However, Omega ruby and Alpha Sapphire are also good games.
In pokemon Diamond I used the masterball I got on a......Steelix:/

My first game was Pokemon Silver and the G/S/C games have to be my favorite games. I played Ruby some years later but it wasn't the same. The second gen games have always been special to me because of that.

I actually remember the first time I played the game, me being around a bunch of fellow ~10 year old friends and I was crazy because I didn't know how to get the Pokeballs. I remember it was already night time and it was in the town where I used to spend the holidays. I asked around and I remember one of them picked the gameboy and played through the oak and the rival event to get me to the point where I get the pokeballs. I'm not sure what was the first mon I caught but for some reason I believe it was a Sentret. I do somehow still sort of remember that feeling of catching the first Pokemon, like something really big had just started lol. And my long term memory is usually very bad, go figure. I guess the nostalgia is strong...

Pokemon FireRed. Squirtle was my starter which is why Blastoise is my favorite Pokemon until now. I made lots and lots of reruns that I memorized the Pokemon, Trainers, and the things they say.
I love this game so much that I am torn between choosing between this and Pokemon X. FireRed has a lot of nostalgia and the original 151 Pokemon are my favorites but Pokemon X is just so awesome because of the so many features such as Mega Evolution and character customization. It is also a lot easier to raise competitive Pokemon in Pokemon X due to super training and unlimited TMs. Plus Kalos is beautiful. :heart:
I used Old Rods a whole lot of times hoping to find other Pokemon other than Magikarp. Also, someone told me before that you could capture a Bulbasaur on Viridian Forest. I roamed in it for hours hoping for one but alas.

- Emerald (on an emulator)

- Nah, I like X and OmegaRuby.

- Stupidly not knowing about type matchups and trying to defeat Roxie with a Torchic and a Wurmple.

Pokemon Sapphire.

B) Is your first game also your favorite game (if not, which one is?)
Pokemon Emerald is my favorite, it just has everything Hoenn has, plus the Battle Frontier.

I did most of the funny stuff later, but not when I first got the series.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)