Your first Pokemon game

What was your first Pokemon game?

• Total voters

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
A) What your first Pokemon game was?

Pokemon Red
B) Is your first game also your favourite game (if not, which one is?)

As much as I love Gen I, I would have to say Pokemon Emerald is my favorite.

C) Anything funny you did when you first got the game cause you were new to the series?

I have a few. Since I was only five at the time, I didn't know how to save the game. Finally figured it out when my sister looked over one day and said "Why are you still at Viridian Forest!?"

I only trained my starter (Blastiose) during my first playthrough up to victory road. While this might not be a new practice, what makes it funny is the fact that I traded my Blastoise to a friend for a underleveled Magmar and ended up not finishing the game because I didn't want to level grind. lol

I started with both Pokémon Yellow and Pokémon Stadium as gifts. It's hard for me to reminisce one without the other one relating to it, especially when it came to using Stadium's Dodrio GB Tower (or just "plain" GB Tower when I first played).

They'd both easily be in my Top 5 favorite Pokémon games because they're the games I can replay or restart without worrying much about losing event Pokes or personal achievements. Overall, though, it's hard to pick a true favorite, due to having sentimental experience with each generation (except Gen. 5, but that's also the era when I took notice of competitive battling).

The one thing I remember clearly doing in my little-kid Yellow days was doing this with my Pikachu: Thundershock -> Quick Attack -> Double Team. I thought that the "Evade rose" effect of Double Team was something powerful, at first, until I realized that I had no way of dealing damage anymore...the enemies weren't doing damage back, either, so I got kinda stuck at that point of the game until I (thankfully) restarted my save file.

Sapphire

Emerald

C) Anything funny you did when you first got the game cause you were new to the series?
I didn't know how to switch bag categories (Item to poke ball to tm etc.) so I ended up having a level 100 Sceptile by the time I reached E4.

After I beat the champion, I was finally told how to switch... Major facepalm moment.

Pokemon Yellow was my very first pokemon game. My aunt worked at a group home center and she found a copy in the lost and found and brought it home to me since no one had claimed it. (she is the person who also got me into anime). I eventually did buy a copy just so i could have the original case n such as when like games i like having the boxes they come with.

I think yellow is my favorite. I really liked how the pikachu followed me everywhere xD

Well, I dunno if others would see it as funny or not but , so I ended up having to restart my yellow like one time because i thought hey if i evolve the pikachu maybe it will still follow me as a raichu. I was so upset when it didnt and then was whiny about having to restart. However even when i restart i just kinda jumped back in like nothing ever happened.

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti

A Pokemon Crystal my tight 5th grade friend let me borrow for basically forever :3 I think I maxed out the clock! Sadly I lost it in the last year, I always wanted to give it back even if its eons late.

Probably! But I also think Pokemon XY are VERY close. The thing I like the most about Crystal was being able to catch both birds and the fact there are 2 regions and a grand total of 16 gyms! The Kanto region isnt even as fun as Johto but it's still such a nice thing to have!!

I don't remember anything particularly embarrassing, but I did love my Scizor with Swords Dance and Quick Attack, I thought it was the shit :pimp:

First pokemon game I played was Platinum, It really was a good game But I'd say my favorite game so far is X/Y Because of the big change in graphics, which was amazing. I found a Shiny Bidoof on route 3. lol

I dabbled in Stadium back when I had a few buddies that had it, but I never owned any Nintendo systems until only a few years ago. Earlier this year I downloaded a GBA emulator on my phone to play Mother 3, and realizing I could actually play Pokemon I asked my circle of friends what single Pokemon game they would suggest someone to play to get them into the series. Some of them told me Diamond and Pearl or Black and White, and even X and Y, but when I said that I could only play the GBA games they all jumped on Emerald. So that's what I played, and I love it to death.

Emerald is still my favorite to this day. I've played it several times, and it and X and Y are the only main Pokemon games I've played through completely. I tried Platinum, but really disliked it and stopped around the 4th Gym I want to say. I'm still playing through White, but despite the fact that it's objectively better than Emerald by miles I don't enjoy it as much.

Typings took me until well into XY to fully grasp. I take it for granted now but when the typings are new to you and you don't remember what's super effective on what all of the time you make some pretty silly guesses. There was a moment where I was surprised Flying didn't hit Ground for super effective damage, thinking "oh, resists/is immune to that then it should be super effective against that." My brain wanted to run on that logic for quite some time.

But by far the dumbest thing I remember doing was slapping Overheat on Solrock. I think those last words speak for themselves.

A) Pokemon Red -I got it and the purple game boy colour for Christmas the year it was released and I loved the game. It brings back a lot of good memories for me.
B) Pokemon emerald cos it has the best region and storyline in the series, not to mention cool pokemon designs, new gameplay elements and the introduction of pokemon contests and secret bases!
C) Not really

My first game was LeafGreen on VisualBoyAdvance. When I first started I thought Electric was weak to Grass because Mega Man Battle Network. I got up to Victory Road until my save got deleted and I had to start over :(

Rip Marowak

[quote="FireRed is actually not my favorite game though, SoulSilver wins that one. By some miracle I almost have more nostalgia for a game I played in 2012 than the one I played in 2004. I've mentioned this in a ton of my posts before but playing SoulSilver made me a Pokemon lover again and got me into Smogon and competitive battling. Yeah, I don't want to just repeat myself so here's an old post with everything I want to say in it.quote]
1)my first game was diamond and thank god my older brother had a pokemon walktrough book.:toast:
2)no, diamond wasn't my favorite after I got soulsilver which was awesome:v4:sorry, i like emotes:mad:

3)my messed up thing i did on diamond is in the tread(edit tHread) _the most facepalm worthy thing in pokemon(something like that)

Last edited:
My first game was Pokemon Diamond, as a lot of my other friends were playing Pokemon at the time. Pokemon White (or black? I forget which one I have, lol) 2 is my favorite.

Hmmm, stupid things I've done.
I didn't know that the Masterball had a 100% catch rate at the time, so when I got to Dialga I accidentally killed it many times before I tried the Masterball.

A) My first was pearl, which I bought at the same time as my original DS, the first games console I owned. I was 12.
B) I'm pretty sure it's all down to nostalgia but I adore Platinum. Team Galactic are still my favourite team, the Creation trio (and Darkrai) are my favourite legendaries (that's probably because of PMD2, which is also one of my favourites) and the dimension world was badass. Also, Gallade, Empoleon and Roserade are some of my favourite pokemon. BW (not BW2, I thought the storyline wasn't as good) and XY are definitely up there though!
Reading through all of these, I really wish I hadn't given my copy of soul silver to my sister!
C) Someone told me that if you released one of your pokemon you could find them later in the wild and they would have leveled up and stuff. Thankfully, I didn't know how to release pokemon, so I was fine!!

Pokemon Red back in December of 98. Got it for Christmas

No, it's Emerald, then it's Crystal.

killed one of the legendary birds and saved after
taught Snorlax Surf thinking it was cool

Teaching Snorlax Surf is cool.
you know, i totally forgot that, back then, Amnesia increased both Special Attack and Special Defense

so in a way, it might have been a smart idea

But i didn't know that since I was 7 years old and Internet was more scarce lol

A) My first Pokemon game was Blue, I got it for christmas the year it came out, and I immediately fell in love with the Pokemon games.

B)
My favorite game though is Platinum. I dumped over 300 hours into it trying to build the best team I could. Its my favorite because of several things. The first reason is because of all of the things you can do, especially after you bet the elite four. Another reason is the music, which is awesome, especially the battles with Cynthia and Team Galactic.

C) At the time I got the game I was 7, so I was largely new to videogames period, let alone RPG's. So for the first playthrough my starter was the only Pokemon I ever used. So when I went up against the elite four I had a level 70 something Bastoise, the Lapras that the dude in Saffron gave you, which I never used before the elite four, and a couple of random really low level Polemic, including a level 2 or 3 Rattata that I caught at the beginning of the game. Don't ask me how, but I managed to beat the elite four and Lance with a team like that.

C) At the time I got the game I was 7, so I was largely new to videogames period, let alone RPG's. So for the first playthrough my starter was the only Pokemon I ever used. So when I went up against the elite four I had a level 70 something Bastoise, the Lapras that the dude in Saffron gave you, which I never used before the elite four, and a couple of random really low level Polemic, including a level 2 or 3 Rattata that I caught at the beginning of the game. Don't ask me how, but I managed to beat the elite four and Lance with a team like that.
Soloing has always been the most efficient way to beat a Pokemon game - that's how speedrunners do it, for example. However, IMO it is not the most fun way to beat a Pokemon game because much of the enjoyment comes in building a team, different to every other RPG where you get given a bunch of predetermined characters and (if you're lucky) they have tech trees etc that allow you to customise their growth.

Thinking about it, that's probably why the EXP share change its mechanics in Gen VI; to discourage soloing games. In most RPGs every character gains experience from battles, whether they participate or not.

Diamond :D Very underrated game IMO. Great introduction into the series for me.
No, my favorite game so far is Black/White. All of the gameplay changes that it had like reusable TMs, Triple Battles, shaking grass, and the new moves/abilities made Pokemon even more fun and it introduced more Pokemon than any generation, most of which were good IMO aside from Stunfisk and Garbodor. This generation gifted me with Serperior's line, Samurott, Bisharp, Hydreigon, Volcarona, Reshiram, Zekrom, Genesect, Cobalion, Virizion, Zoroark, Chandelure, Golurk and more that I love. It also had the best storyline in the series IMO and the music is just behind BW2 for being the best as well (bring back that low HP music!). The game as a whole was just so fresh.
I had trouble beating Roark when I had both a Psyduck and Piplup on my team, but I can't think of anything else I did that was stupid. I guess I was rather competent for someone who knew nothing about Pokemon.

My first game was Emerald, which imo stands as the best 3rd gen game (though Colleseum is also up there). And I don't say that for nostolgia's sake. I've gone back and played almost every single Pokemon game and Emerald still stands out as the best. When a game's main problem is its soundtrack, you know you're doing something right.

When I first played Emerald, I was 7, so I have tons of stupid stories.

When Prof. Birch first asks if you want to nickname Treeko, I accidentally clicked "Yes", but I didn't want to nickname it anything. So I nicknamed it TREEKO. This meant that when I was fighting the Elite 4, I only could use my lvl 90 Sceptile named TREEKO.

Plus, I only used Sceptile. To the point where very new TM and move tutor move was automatically taught to Sceptile (and then deleted next level when a new TM came along). So many rare move tutors wasted... So many priceless TMs wasted.

I also caught a Wingull named Peeko and taught it Areal Ace and Steel Wing. Then, while training it, I caught a Pellipper. So I promptly released Peeko (without removing the EXP share from Wingull).

My first Pokemon game was Pokemon Blue around 2004 (I had barely turned 5 about a month before.)

Not really, as much as I was interested in it and made me love Pokemon as much as I do know, I have to say my favorite game was Pokemon Diamond since it was the game that I could finally understand and play without any issues I had before. Along with the story and one of my favorite legends(Dialga) I only grew more love for the game as it was extremely fun to play over and over again.
Since up until then I had only played a power puff girls game where I constantly had to press new game because I kept dying, It took me about 3 times of pressing new game to actually play through the game. Also, I thought it was mandatory to get Squritle since it was a water type and the game was blue.

The first game I ever played was Ruby, but the first game I owned was Sapphire. I was a fan of pokemon before that, but I wasn't allowed to play video games.
Y'know, I must admit that the gen 3 games are my favorite :P
Something ridiculous I did when I first started pokemon.... I didn't know about the box system for a while. I thought 6 pokemon was the limit, and then when I deposited Swampert in the day care, I caught an Illumise. I was like "oh no, I have to get Swampert back because if I catch one more pokemon there won't be any space in my party or the day care and I won't be able to get Swampert back!!!" lmao. A short moment after in the day care, though, I looked at the PC and thought "what's that?" and then I figured it out. Also, I've wasted quite a few master balls not knowing better when I was younger.

My first game was Emerald, at least I think. I remember my dad coming home on my birthday with two Gameboys, and two copies of Emerald so that we could play together. One of the first things that happened in the game was that I caught a shiny Poochyena (Which actually happened again when I was playing through Alpha Sapphire. Close to the same location, actually.). Back then, I didn't really know what shinies were. I honestly just thought that the gold color pallet was just standard for Poochyena. Then my dad looked at my game and said 'Hey! Looks like you've got something special right there,' and that's when I noticed the little star. From that day forward, Mightyena has been one of my all time favorite Pokemon. I still have both of those shinies, and I cherish them.
Emerald has always been my favorite Pokemon game. That may be just for the fact that I had a bond with my dad back then that I really no longer have, but it does bring back really good memories every time I boot up that old Gameboy, that clunky piece of metal.

My first game was Emerald, at least I think. I remember my dad coming home on my birthday with two Gameboys, and two copies of Emerald so that we could play together. One of the first things that happened in the game was that I caught a shiny Poochyena (Which actually happened again when I was playing through Alpha Sapphire. Close to the same location, actually.). Back then, I didn't really know what shinies were. I honestly just thought that the gold color pallet was just standard for Poochyena. Then my dad looked at my game and said 'Hey! Looks like you've got something special right there,' and that's when I noticed the little star. From that day forward, Mightyena has been one of my all time favorite Pokemon. I still have both of those shinies, and I cherish them.
Emerald has always been my favorite Pokemon game. That may be just for the fact that I had a bond with my dad back then that I really no longer have, but it does bring back really good memories every time I boot up that old Gameboy, that clunky piece of metal.
Your Dad sounds cool as fuck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)