Monotype "You're Bugging Me": A Balance Bug Team

Hey, Tyke here :D

This is my first RMT, as you can tell by the terrible name. While this isn't that impressive of a team or that impressive of a ladder peak, I figured since there aren't that many Monotype RMTs out there right now why not share a team that I had a good bit of success with? The team in question is my Balance Bug Monotype, with which I peaked 1619 on the Monotype Ladder (Top 5 at the time).

My idea here isn't to present an amazing flawless, perfect team: i know this team is none of those things. But rather to share the archetype for defensive Bug that worked for me so that others can build upon it. I spent a lot of time Tinkering around with sets on this team, so I'll list some of the other options I considered or tested.

The following is the team, as it was, when I peaked.

When I set about trying defensive / balance bug, I knew where to start. Mega-Scizor's excellent bulk and defensive typing made it a perfect cornerstone to build my defensive core around.

Now Mega-Scizor has always been a powerful defensive tool for Bug, but what's limited it in the past is the lack of a good fire sponge. Enter Araquanid, who with Water Bubble offers a legitimate fire and water resist and even a Burn Immunity.

From there I knew I had to cover up the Electric Weakness, and a secondary Fire sponge and special wall never hurts. Volcarona was the obvious choice.

Now I needed a Spinner: my options are Forretress and Armaldo. While Armaldo did better against Flying, Forretress's Toxic Spikes and Sturdy-Card was just too reliable a blanket check to give up.

From there I added a special and a physical attacker, Galvantula and Buzzwole. These two allowed me to offensively check threats and Dismantle defensive cores.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 172 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn / Toxic

Mega-Scizor is an amazing defensive pokemon, with excellent typing and unholy bulk it can switch in and wall a large portion of the Meta-Game. I felt extremely safe with Mega-Scizor on my team. It's also a secondary hazard remover,

Options: Only Defog and Roost are mandatory. Toxic, B-Punch, Knock Off, and U-turn are all excellent choices for the remaining two moveslots. Full Defensive EVs will improve your ability to take Stone Edges, at the cost of being dented more by the likes of Mixed Koko.

Araquanid @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Scald
- Leech Life
- Mirror Coat

None of this would be possible without Araquanid, who offers a water and fire resist and special defensive bulk to cover volcarona and Scizor's main weaknesses while pestering with scald / liquidation. Mirror Coat is an option to keep offensive Celesteelas in line, along with other threats.

Options: I opted for AV over the Rest-Talk set to make the most use of the immediate Bulk without sacrificing my offensive presence, but the aforementioned Lefties set is totally fine too. You could run full physical EVs to cement 2HKOs on stuff like Mega-Sableye as well.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 208 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Roost
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz / Giga Drain

I don't think it's possible to make a Bug team without Volcarona. This set is bulkier on the Special Side to better take on the likes of Zapdos and other Special Attackers that threaten Araquanid. The easiest set to use is Quiver Dance, Roost, Fiery Dance, and your choice of coverage.

Options: Volcarona of course has quite a lot of flexibility in how it's run. While any set will want to make use of Roost, your choice of coverage can vary. HP ground will hit Heatran and Fire types, Giga Drain helps with water and ground, and Buzz is reliable STAB.

Forretress @ Red Card
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch / Toxic

Forretress is sorta self-explanatory as far as Pokemon Go. Spins Hazards, sets hazards, phazes set up, and occasionally volt switch for momentum.

Options: Armaldo fits this team slot too. I had a hard time settling on a spinner, because while Forretress was plenty reliable, wasn't weak to water and could set T-spikes, it had little to no offensive Presence and crumpled at the sight of Fire Coverage. Armaldo is thus also a good option, although I find I can never get him to do everything I need him to do due to the severity of the role compression.

Buzzwole @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge / Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Focus Punch

Now Buzzwole was a Pokemon I wasn't entirely sure how I'd use. I knew I wanted it for the meaty physical bulk to act as an offensive check for threats like Band-Excadrill. I settled on Sub-Punch, a set I quite enjoyed. This set is able to gain momentum and steamroll teams, especially with webs Support.

Options: Fightinium Z is something I've only just begun playing with, but it helps a lot to give Buzzwole more immediate offensive presence to address threats like Skarmory or Mandibuzz. Ice punch may be worth running over SE to hit Gliscor and Lando. Leech Life is an option for more passive recovery and better reliable STAB than Focus Punch / Hammer Arm, although you have to sacrifice some form of coverage to run it.

Galvantula @ Life Orb / Choice Specs
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sticky Web

Finally Galvantula, a fast strong Pivot with good coverage to offensively check threats like Garchomp, Landorus, Skarmory, etc. Sticky Webs helps Buzzwole clean up late-game. Not much to say.

Options: Specs minimizes the amount of wear Galv suffers while letting it break down Water's defensive core with ease (Lanturn isn't 2HKOd otherwise), but Life Orb lets you moveswitch; both are fine.

- Electric Teams: These will make you suffer hard. You lose Araquanid's ability to sponge hits, putting far more pressure on Volcarona and Scizor to play well.

- Set Up: Boosting pokemon can quickly become threats, especially Charizard-X and Slowbro. Using Red Card to phase them or playing aggressively with your checks is necessary.

- Fire Teams: Araquanid is good, but it's not a miracle-worker. It cannot handle an entire Fire Monotype.

- Celesteela: Offensive Variants are the most dangerous, but all Celesteela sets are a pain in the but to deal with.

- Random Fire Coverage: Always be wary of stray fire blasts or HP Fire Latioses and the like. Mega-Scizor is integral to the defensive core if you lose him you basically lose the match.

So this is the Balance Bug Team I used to reach Top 5 of the Monotype Ladder! Clearly there's room for improvement and a fair amount of wiggle room with the different sets to best maximize the defensive synergy. But as far as making defensive Bug work, I had a blast making and laddering with this team.

Hope you all like the team and give Balanced / Defensive Bug a try this gen, it's a lot of fun!

---

---

---

---
Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 172 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Defog
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

Araquanid @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Scald
- Leech Life
- Mirror Coat

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 208 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Roost
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz

Forretress @ Red Card
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch

Buzzwole @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Focus Punch

Galvantula @ Choice Specs
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sticky Web

--- http://imgur.com/bHT2JMY ---

Got to 1619 but don't have a screenshot of that :c

The Whole mono room deserves a shoutout :D

But thanks to Jo'zzzz, Eien, iExca, Sirskit and illama in particular for helping me test the team and just generally being cool people. I know I'm a noob.

Last edited:
I would suggest removing some slashes on your moves, because it's hard to rate a team when every mon has 8 moves as possible options
Done :x

Baked most of the Movepool options into the "Options" part of their descriptions.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)