Yugioh! TCG Thread

Since there is MTG thread there might as well be a YGO one too.

talk about anything YGO TCG related in here. Talk about what strats and decks you use (or use to play). Talk about if you attend locals, regs, or SJCS and if youre planning on attending any in the near future.

I try to join locals, regs and SJCs when I can although admittingly Im subpar at best at the game. Right now Im working on holoing out a Zombie deck since I just got my hand on an Il Blud, even though Macro decks are running rampart Im taking it to my local tomorrow to see if my side deck can prevail.

I plan on attending a regional here in Las Vegas March 1st but were getting a new ban list so I dunno what to run yet, plus the new boosters coming out might intrige me enough to build something diffrent.

Its possible I may be attending SJC in Orange County (Southern Cali) in March as well and it lands the week after my regional in LV. Yay.

I played it back when it was popular 2002-2004. Skip three to four years and I've just started collecting them again.

I rarely go to competitions (Plus, I live in Australia so I doubt if I could find any), but if I did I wouldn't last long.

I used to play, and I probably still would if any of my friends were into it. The show used to be good but I dont like it after reading some of the original manga (which doesn't only focus on card games), and after getting older.

I went to one tourney, and did pretty well.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I used to be awesome in the LOB - ban list days, but the ban list ruined the game, I refused to play it cause if the idiocy of konami and quit. I still have my awesome Inaba-Golem deck! This was so much fun when i was younger =D

I would play, but I live in Central Nowhere USA so nobody plays besides me. My deck is an awesome Light-themed deck with Elemental Mistress Doriado and Fuh-Rin-Ka-Zan.

Btw, I have Elemental Hero Wildedge =P

there was a fun time last year when me and some of my friends decided to get different new decks for each other (since the last time we all played, 2 years ago, everyone had very similar decks and we didn't even know of "bans" or "restrictions"). I got the dragon one but was disappointed since my friend who got the zombie theme deck kept destroying us :(

I also came up with new strategies but my favorite by far are the direct damage decks. You can destroy your opponent in a few turns and they can do nothing about it. Use traps to ward off any attacks and protect your monsters, stall with defensive monsters, and effects.. and then deplete their life points with magic cards...

OR

Use a monster that can attack LP directly, protect it from magic and trap cards with counter magic and trap cards... Increase their attack with magic cards, and then attack your opponent directly with your monster for tons of damage.

My favorite combo was using a weak monster that can attack LP directly, and then play "United We Stand" (UWS, is a magic equip card that raises your monsters attack 800 points for every monster on your side of the field... 800 x 5 = 4000 extra attack points which means an automatic 2 turn win)

My favorite combo was using a weak monster that can attack LP directly, and then play "United We Stand" (UWS, is a magic equip card that raises your monsters attack 800 points for every monster on your side of the field... 800 x 5 = 4000 extra attack points which means an automatic 2 turn win)
Granted, a lot of other cards can abuse United we Stand (on account of it being one of the strongest equip spell cards in the game), so don't you need to restrict yourself to that. This includes but is not limited to:

Hayabusa Knight
Gladiator Beast Dimicari with effect activated
Strong, beatdown monsters
Jinzo (But he's everywhere)

Wow. I was just talking about this game with someone before I saw this thread, and was considering getting back into the game.

I've pretty much only really played on YVD. The actual cards got to be too expensive fast, and dueling online is free. I used to play quite often, and had several decks I used. Let's see... there was that magical explosion deck I ran for a while, a gadget deck, a cyber dragon deck, and I was working on a fairy deck around the time I quit. Meh. None of them were that great, and I was hardly a good player.

Anyway, anyone interested getting back into the game but doesn't want to spend the money for the cards should d/l Yugioh Virtual Desktop (or YVD for short). http://www.xerocreative.com/index.php?goto=yvd&sub=downloads

Maybe we could set up something here on smogon for it if enough people are interested.

I used to be awesome in the LOB - ban list days, but the ban list ruined the game, I refused to play it cause if the idiocy of konami and quit.
My exact thoughts. I spent 2 years collecting the cards I needed for my ultimate Warrior Deck (mind you I was in 7th grade at this time, and getting cards was hard, especially since my parents thought it was a waste of money). Right when I finished, ~1/5 of the cards in my deck were banned. I never really went to any tournaments (only one, which I had to pay to get into), but it was still sad to see my deck wasn't up to the standards. Although, it was a good thing Yata-Garasu was banned.

I really did enjoy the game, it was fun while it lasted.

I played this when it was a long way back -- like when it was first released up for about another 2-3 good years.. stopped when they started making 50-card booster packs. Those were retarded.

Banning a bunch of expensive cards (it was hard for me to get them as well.. my parents also thought it was a waste of money) was really dumb as well.

I ran a Legendary Ocean / Water deck. Totally flooded and killed my area mostly. Stopped playing when I lost interest (no one could beat me and I was losing faith in Konami), still have my cards though. :)

How can people NOT like that ced/bls/raigeki/harpies feather duster/yata etc are banned honestly...It's like banning Ubers from OU.

I used to play when this was the latest fad, but the game's getting way to expensive, but I play (very) occasionally.

also to above guy, pre 50-card boosters were made of 2 japanese sets, that's why those were large(r).

I was just about to make this thread!

I play yugioh at a competitive level. I run Il Blud zombie swarm, as well as shrink-decree control. I am just about to make my Baboon burn deck, and hopefully move onto a zombie-beast deck.

Granted, a lot of other cards can abuse United we Stand (on account of it being one of the strongest equip spell cards in the game), so don't you need to restrict yourself to that. This includes but is not limited to:

Hayabusa Knight
Gladiator Beast Dimicari with effect activated
Strong, beatdown monsters
Jinzo (But he's everywhere)

Yes, those are all fine choices, but you are missing the point of a direct damage deck. There are very few monsters who attack LP directly, and they are all pretty weak. Plus, with an attack of over 4000, it is a 2 hit win... that is enough imo.

Man this game was good back in 6th grade, There was a table of about 20 or so kids and we would pretty much do a small tourney every day. Kids got bitchy, cards got stolen, and the game came to be banned, I kept playing up until 8th grade then quit at the end of 8th, I played a total of 4 tourneys and only came close once, third I think.

Now my deck was an absolute monster, It was an XYZ deck( no WV, I stopped playing well before that came out). this deck was so perfectly formed, it was mainly a xyz deck but had other machine cards, before restrictions I must say Limiter removal destruction ftw, clear out their field with XYZ dragon cannon's ability then use 1 or 2 limiter removal and that is game. Man this thread makes me want to get back into, but I doubt I will be rejoining the world of yugioh

Yes, those are all fine choices, but you are missing the point of a direct damage deck. There are very few monsters who attack LP directly, and they are all pretty weak. Plus, with an attack of over 4000, it is a 2 hit win... that is enough imo.
I realize that it is a deadly combonation, though I'm interested in how you plan to set it up, and how you work if you do not get the cards needed for your setup.

Well, I have a lot of trap cards and magic cards that stop my opponent from attacking, or just destroying them if needed (mirror force, negate attack, etc..)

I have normal monsters in my deck with high defense for further stalling. I have witch of the black forest, and other cards that allow me to get the monster I need.

I have quite a number of equip cards so I can max out my monsters attack...

It is hard to explain here but trust me, it works except when I get extremely unlucky (I mean, like drawing all equip cards on the first turn, etc..)

I went undefeated for most of the 5th,6th grade with the deck, and got far in the tournament I went to.

Btw, I am in 9th grade now.. I haven't played in ages so there are probably more cards to use that would even increase the power of the deck.

Well now if it isn't a yugioh thread. Don't mind if I do...

I played back when it first came out, stopped soon after. I started again when dark revelation 1 came out and haven't stopped since.

I don't go to tourneys, they piss me off. Due to that fact I keep my money out of the real cards and play the video games on the DS, PSP, and GBA. (WC2006 is the best one, seriously.)

My real life decks are all jokes in a tourney settings; a Reasoning, a F-H-D deck, and an Advance Ritual Art deck.
I keep up with the meta for a laugh or two when a nub comes around with his cookie cutter deck and expects to beat me.

Not a terrible game all in all, but there's one thing I hate about it: 60% of the cards aren't even usable in casual. I mean seriously... is anyone at the OCG R&D even playtesting these cards before they release these? It's been a problem since this game came out.

My ending statement: Raiza is a (BAN ME PLEASE). (most of you should know what I'm talking about)

Raiza is such a broken piece of shit, lol. I have heard rumors of the dark monarch, which removes one card on the field from play, and if dark they take 1000. That is broken as hell. Plus works with DDV.

I can see why some of you dont like the banlist especially if you were hard set to collect the cards but you have to realize that the game needed to be fixed. YGO is a truely unbalanced game and the crazy OTKs you can create with every card to your disposal would make the game almost unplayable.

oh and for those that dont know there is a Traditional Format, although there arent too many tournies for it but you can still play your favorite old cards here.

oh and Slice, nice to see there is someone else here that plays YGO at a competive level. Right now my meta is so random that I should still do good with Zombies as Ive been testing them and they are doing really well.. esp with the awesome Bazoo/Return side deck that helps counter what other people would play against you.

leafgreen: I would play YVD if I could ever get it to work. I swear Im not too smart when it comes to getting that damn thing to work. I might try Gameking though, which is a YGO simulator that you play in on a webpage. Havent tried it yet but it looks to be promising.

Kromlech: lol hell yeah. Whats funny is that he and other spinn cards are basicly forms of Time Seal in a way because you end up "skipping" your draw phase next turn because youre just drawing the same card. Pheonix Wing Wind Blast is a pain too esp in the Perfect Circle (Destiny Hero Monarch).

For those that want to get back into the game in May there is going to be a new Structure deck coming out that has all the released Monarchs + a brand new one. So if you ever want to just play casually and want competive cards this is the structure deck you want.

I have heard rumors of the dark monarch, which removes one card on the field from play, and if dark they take 1000. That is broken as hell. Plus works with DDV.
You mean this one?

Also, I would suggest looking around on the site if you haven't already.

EDIT: Oh, and Warthog, the sturcture deck comes out in April.

Wiki said:
April 2008
  • April 2: Structure Deck: The Dark Emperor is slated for release. Contents and name of the Structure Deck are subject to change, though new cards will remain in place.

I play the game at a competitive level.

Currently, my most successful deck is my DES Frog water deck, it sounds like it's very ineffective, but in actuality, it's very good. I played this one tournament with 3 matchups with perfect circle with LaDD, 1 chimaeratech OTK, 1 demise OTK, and 1 semi-traditional monarch deck (not traditional cardlist).

I lost one game, not MATCH, one GAME against the monarch deck, but won in the end. In the semi-finals, the Demise OTK took me down 2-1, and it was single-elimination in the semifinals, so I was done there.

I have ALL water monsters in my deck.
that includes
x2 mother grizzly, x2 crystal seer, x3 tadpoles, x3 des frog, x3 ocean's keeper, x2 cranium fish, x2 abyss soldier, x3 hydrogeddon, and a single treeborn frog

and I run several cards that let me discard/cycle back to my hand. I usually like to get 2 tadpoles to the hand then throw them into the grave through lightning vortex, phoenix wing wind blast, abyss soldier, and cranium fish, then summon all the frogs.

it's really fun to play, and other people have played it and loved the feel of it.

edit: also warthog, that deck hardly supplies that many "casual" cards, it actually focuses on alot more strategy, and really doesn't work as well with inexperienced players than previous structure decks. It focuses on the removed-from-play zone, and most younger players can't play those decks, and besides the monarchs and some staples, it really doesn't have that many "splice-into-any-deck casual" cards.

edit again: for news updates, check

http://manjyomethunder.twoday.net/

it has the latest OCG news, including new sets, cards, and games. Everything.

I'm planning to run this wierd ass deck I saw at locals. It is zombie-Beast themed, runs 2 foolishes, 1 baboon, 3 rats, 3 nimbles, generic zombies, and the wierdest thing of all: the infinite draw- 2 manticore card of safe return combo. The person who used it(who is also 51 in the state of California) showed how consistent and successful this deck is.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Heh, this takes me back. I remember becoming really into this in 6th grade, back when there was still the original sets out. (Legend of Blue Eyes, Metal Raiders, etc) I stopped playing with the physical cards at the set where the very first E-Heroes cards came out. (I forget its name, but it had like Avion and Burstinatrix.)

I also remember that getting a legit, original Metalraiders Mirror Force was like the Holy Grail. It was like getting Charizard in the pokemon cards, but even harder.

Which is why I shat myself when my sister returned from school one day with a huge box of cards she apparently stole, but I couldn't care less because Mirror Force was the first thing looking me in the eye.

Over time, the hobby got really expensive and I couldn't be bothered to keep up. I still have my old deck stashed away somewhere, but it collects dust and is currently 2,000 miles away. :/

This was the ultimate time-passer in mornings when I was waiting at my bus stop and such. I miss those days, such nostalgia.

i came third at canadian nats 2k6

and before you say anything, canadian nats is without question more difficult than american nats because due to how small it is the concentration of amazing players (the bellidos and the rest of superfriends as well as some others) is ridiculous

i dunno, the game kind of bores me now, im gonna go to nats this year but i dont really plan on playing much until then, or at least until the new ban list. raiza should not have been printed.

but holy shit there are a lot of noobs itt ?_?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)