SM OU Z-fight Gengar

Hello ! Please find here my team based around Gengar. I often use it on the ladder, and it works pretty well, although it can be improved.

Gengar @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
=> I wanted to play Gengar, one of my favourites mons, but I’m not a huge fan of its Choice sets. So i opted for the z-fight. When I come to RK, I sub to see what the opponent will do. Then, I can either use my z-move or do some cheap damage and switch.
Here's some calcs :
252 SpA Gengar All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Ferrothorn: 274-324 (77.8 - 92%)
252 SpA Gengar All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 128+ SpD Heatran: 318-376 (82.3 - 97.4%)
252 SpA Gengar All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Skarmory: 274-323 (82.2 - 96.9%)
252 SpA Gengar All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Magearna: 183-216 (60.7 - 71.7%)
252 SpA Gengar All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Wash: 196-231 (64.4 - 75.9%)

Good amount of damage, and those mons can't take a shadow ball after that. Additionally, sludge way hits Clefable/Fini/Bulu/AV Tangrowth.
This set is a one-shot, but it does his job and can be very surprising since Gengar is not very played nowadays. When the Ferro or the Skarm is down, my Gliscor is more likely to sweep.
It’s walled by Chansey and Toxapex though, so this is why I play Medicham-Mega alongside Gengar.

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
=> Not to much to say here, this is a common wallbreaker who deals with Chansey, Toxapex and Celesteela. Bullet punch instead of ice punch to surprise Diancie-Mega (which, otherwise, can be a pain in the ***), and because a priority is always useful (alongside fake out). Yet I can't really do that much to Landorus-T, I have my Rotom for that.

Rotom-Wash @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 140 HP / 116 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave
=> Usually I use rotom as an anti-lead to deal with Landorus-T : it threatens with H-pump (which does decent damages to everything that doesn’t resist) or will-o-wisp. I can also anticipate and volt switch to keep momentum. T-wave is very useful against Lopunny-Mega and Serperior, two major threats, allowing Gengar to break them down.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 176 HP / 108 Def / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge/Facade
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
=> Gliscor, a mon I play a lot atm. Nice double typing for immunities, and Poison heal is his main advantage on Landorus-T. Thanks to his decent speed he can sweep late game after a swords dance (224 EV is enough to outspeed Landorus-T by one point). I still have a doubt on the second attack. Stone edge punishes Zapdos or Volcarona, but facade does more damage AND has a better accuracy.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Defog
=> Fini, another mon I often use to check Ash-Gren. It can come pretty easily (although H-pump hurts) and will force to the switch. There I can defog or double-switch in anticipation of a check. I considered Nature's madness instead of Moonblast to weaken stallers, but that makes me too weak to Ash-Gren. I prefer surf instead of scald for higher damages. Max speed to outspeed some threats (adamant Mimikyu, Gyarados, Excadrill…) and avoid them to set up with taunt.

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Smart Strike
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
=> I needed a scarf which can make a good amount of damage, so Kartana was a viable option. To be efficient it really needs that its counter (Skarm/Toxapex/Zapdos) are knocked down, otherwise it won't be very good (unless I do the right anticipation, I may loose momentum). But once they are out of the field, it's a fearsome cleaner. Good counter to Ferrothorn, which can't do really much against him. It also wins its duel with Ash-Gren IF there is no rain (if that's the case, water shuriken OHKO that poor Kartana).

That's all folks, thank you in advance for your feedback. I think I'm pretty weak to Lopunny-Mega and I miss a good ice move. So I was thinking about scarf Latios instead of Kartana, but that would make another Psychic type...

I'm a big fan of Fight-Z Gengar, but I tend to run Destiny Bond where you have Substitute. They're both pretty good for Sucker Punch outplays but its nice to be able to surprise nail a bulky mon as it finishes you off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)