SM OU Z-Giga Impact Greninja? (ELO 2000+, Top 10)

I've decided to share this team because I've been playing too much mons lately, and giving it away will make me less tempted to keep playing. First off, proof:
This account was initially a test account that I use to try new teams, so the GXE would be much higher if I used a fresh account. I built this team when i was sitting on around 1800 and I surprisingly made it to 2000 only losing 1 game, so I thought I'd share the team. My main thing when building teams is maximising how fun the team is to use. This team plays very quickly, and I have put a few different spins on popular mons that some of you will hopefully find as enjoyable as I have.

Team Preview

The lead (most of the time)

Greninja (M) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Giga Impact
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Low Kick

To be perfectly honest, this set started out as a complete meme, but I've really grown to like it. I run Sash Protean Gren on a number of other teams, using the same set except Spikes over Giga, and what I've come to learn is players will get very confident once they figure out you aren't running a water move. As such, they will bring in the likes Zard X/Y and Gyarados looking to take advantage. Essentially, Z Giga is here so that DD and other set up mons like Zard X and Gyara can only ever set up +1 speed, allowing me to outspeed with ScarfSerp. It does 81-95% on Zard X and 64-76% to Gyara

Z-Giga also does significant damage to mons that can check Volc. Gunk + Z-Giga does 90% minimum to fully defensive Rotom-W for example. Z-Giga also OHKOs Zard Y and any does huge damage to pretty much any neutral mon. The other moves are pretty self-explanatory. Gunk for Fini, Clef, Bulu, Fairies in general. Ice Beam for Lando-T. Low Kick for Tran, Ferro, Ttar, Mag.

Leading with Gren: The only times I won't lead Gren are if I think the opponent will lead Koko or Scarf Lando-T (in which case I lead Serp) or if I see Lopunny (in which case I lead Lele). Pretty much, I won't lead it if I think the opponent will lead something that outspeeds.

Lead Gren putting in work (to be fair, I shouldnt have sacced it cos it pretty much 6-0d him, but I wanted to see the damage on latios): https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-723600921
Different alt, but here is Z-Giga breaking Gastrodon's neck and opening the game up for Volc: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-725399248

The Support

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Defog
- Healing Wish
- Ice Beam/Psychic

Mega-Latias is the glue holding this team together, providing much needed Defog support for Volc as well as carrying Healing Wish, which lets me heal up my main sweepers. It's a great check to Scarf Kartana, Bulu, Zapdos, Defensive Exca, Lando-T, Banded Zygarde, Zard Y. It's just a great all-round pivot, and I'll commonly switch this in on the likes of Ferro and Celesteela to sponge leech seed/defog before going into Volc.

I bounced around between Ice Beam and Psychic, and honestly, both are really good, so pick what you prefer. Psychic is great under terrain from Lele and can take on Pex, hits Tran harder. Ice Beam is what I usually used. It hits everything and helps against Zygarde. Really up to you.

P.S. It's been pointed out to me that Lati doesn't get a terrain boost cos it's levitating. Just a reminder for anyone who forgot like me!

This replay shows just how effectively Latias can support a Volc sweep. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-724495564

Tapu Lele @ Metronome
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt

My favourite breaker in the meta. Metronome is such a fun item, letting you stack on damage against mons like Chansey and Unaware Clef. In a lot of games vs Offense or Hyper-Offense, you will find that Lele doesn't really do much, but up against bulky teams consisting of mons like Toxapex and Chansey, it puts more than earns its spot on the team. Psychic terrain is great because it prevents Gren and Pinsir from revenging Volc with priority. A lot of people will also assume you are Scarfed and therefore choice-locked. Use this to your advantage.

Moonblast is good for Sableye, Ttar, Lando-T etc, and HP Fire is for Scizor and Ferro. I have thought about running Tbolt over HP Fire for Celesteela, but Volc sets up so easily vs Celesteela there's pretty much no point. Taunt for stall and prevents rocks vs Chansey, Skarm etc.

GOAT (Serperior) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Defog
- Glare
- Hidden Power [Fire]

My favourite pokemon, and a staple on a lot of my favourite teams. ScarfSerp will get scoffed at, but I have had 3 OU different teams in the Top 10 that have relied heavily on this mon's ability to provide speed control. As mentioned in the Greninja explanation, most setup mons only ever get +1 speed against my team, meaning Serp can easily come in and Glare to completely nullify any speed gains or revenge with Leaf Storm. Serp is also a great switch in to Ash-Gren (both before and after it transforms). You can switch in on Dark Pulse, opponents will think they outspeed and 2HKO you, and then you can KO with Leaf Storm. It's also great vs Rain because you can switch in on any of Swampert's moves, outspeed and OHKO.

To be perfectly honest, I could run 2 moves on this mon, as I only really ever click Leaf Storm + Glare, but Defog is there if I am desperate. HP Fire is really a filler move, mostly for revenging scarf Kartana. If you are going to predict a Ferro or Scizor to switch in, you may as well just double to Volc.

As an example of how good this mon is, check out the following replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-723922690
The above isn't an isolated incident, many teams just get destroyed by Serp. Here is another example with a different team (peep the fire metronome mamo play :p) https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-720656980
These are opponents relatively high up on the ladder that are just losing to me clicking Leaf Storm 6 times in a row. This mon is good, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

This is another game that shows just how good Serp can be: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-723601875

The Sweepers

Tapu Koko @ Leftovers
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The first of the teams sweepers, and a mon that has great synergy with Volcarona. I initially played around with a Gigavolt Havoc set, but lefties + roost is just too nice. You can easily Roost because Koko scares a lot of mons out, and the longevity it provides helps to check Pinsir and Hawlucha. You easily set up on Toxapex, Mag, Celesteela, Rotom-W, Fini, and Zapdos. +1 HP Ice always OHKOs Defensive Lando-T, and +1 tbolt in terrain is incredibly strong. This set usually does a lot of damage in the mid-game, and weakens a lot of mons like Heatran for Volc to sweeps through later.

Scarf Lando-T can be annoying for this team because it can revenge Koko and +1 Volc, so if I suspect a Scarf Lando-T (and they are usually pretty easy to pick from team preview), i'll usually just lead Glare it with Serp.
Here is Koko setting up a Serp sweep: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-724503306
Different alt. Koko sweeping late game vs rain: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-725532829

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Hidden Power [Ground]

This is the undisputed star of the team, and IMO, is the best sweeper in the meta atm. Bold and 148 EVs lets it tank a lot of physical hits. For example, Defensive Lando-T's Earthquake is never a 2HKO. 112 Speed lets you outrun Koko at +1. Roost for recovery and longevity. For a lot of people, their strategy with Volc is just to run it down gradually and try to KO with priority - Roost prevents this strategy. Fiery dance for the +1 boosts, and HP Ground for Heatran. +1 HP ground should KO most Heatrans after a little bit of prior damage, just watch out for Toxic.

Volc wins me the majority of my games, and with Healing Wish from Latias, you can afford to play it a little more aggressively in the mid-game. It just sets up on so much of the meta. Any version of Magearna gets destroyed by this, Ferro, Celesteela, most Kartanas are all set up fodder, Kyurem even. Once you get a few Quiver Dances, pretty much any special attacker will be set up fodder.

The only real advice I can give is to know remember this thing runs no Special Attack EVs and it's strongest move is 80BP. This means to net a bunch of OHKOs, you might need to get up to +3 or +4. Thankfully, that shouldn't be too difficult given the bulkiness of the set + roost.
Volc doing what it does late game: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-724497961
Volc 1v1ing a Mag with ease: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-724504563
Threats

Tyranitar - Ttar checks and KOs both Volc and Koko, the 2 main sweepers on this team, so you have to play very carefully around it. If I see a Ttar on the other team, I know that I have to play both Gren and Serp carefully. Gren OHKOs with Low Kick, and Serp gets a big chunk off with Leaf Storm. Lele can also dent TTar with Moonblast, but you are probably going to get Pursuit trapped or Stone Edged.

Sand Rush Exca - I am a firm believer that you cannot prepare for literally every threat in the meta and that you will always come across match-ups that are pretty much autolosses. Seeing as I believe this, I am also of the mindset that if I'm going to have autoloss matchups, they may as well be against outdated or seldom used play styles. Thankfully, with the continued dominance of Lando-T and the introduction of Celesteela, Exca is a rare sight these days.

All that said, a well played Sand Rush Exca (especially Steelium Z versions) is almost a guaranteed win against this team. The only real ways of beating it are setting up with Volc to outspeed it (very difficult because Exca is usually paired with Ttar), Glare/Leaf Storming with Serp because it can live an Iron Head (not at +2 though), or to take out the mon putting up Sand.

It might be suggested that I replace Mega Latias with Defog Lando-T, and that might actually make this team better, but I just love Mega Lati and getting off Healing Wishes too much.

Rain - Rain can be an issue, but if you can take Swampert out with Serp, you are usually left with a Choice-locked Kingdra abusing rain, and that can be played around.

Stall - Stall can be a problem depending on the exact core used (if you're opponent is using Quagsire + Shedinja or something like that you're probably screwed), but most of the time if you can break through Chansey with Lele + Z-Giga, you should be set to break through the rest of the team with a combo of Serp + Volc + Koko.
You just have to play very aggressively so as to keep your opponent on the back foot. For example, getting a Psyshock off on Chansey can usually put it in Z-Giga range, and a lot of the times your opponent will look to heal up Chansey on Greninja.

Here is Koko doing work after I got rid of Chansey: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-724496968 (P.S. there;s nothing worse than getting annoyed at hax when you use T-wave Chansey)

Misc

The lack of Stealth Rocks. I love Rocks (my previous RMT which features 2 Stealth Rockers is proof of this), but I really don't see the benefit of it on this team.
The reason for this is that whenever an opponent sees Volc on your team, they will want to get rocks up ASAP, and will likely be willing to trade rocks if you'll allow it. I see no reason to run rocks of my own if I'm just going to have to Defog them away later. There are also no significant KOs that Rocks gets me that I wouldn't otherwise get, and also, none of the mons on this team learn Rocks anyway.

Hope you all enjoy playing with the team. I made it mostly to showcase this bulky Volc set + CM Koko which I think are so good right now, but also to show the continued dominance of the greatest mon ever made: ScarfSerp

Importable!

Greninja (M) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Giga Impact
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Low Kick

GOAT (Serperior) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Defog
- Glare
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Healing Wish
- Ice Beam

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Tapu Koko @ Leftovers
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tapu Lele @ Metronome
Ability: Psychic Surge
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt

Last edited:
This team gets 6-0ed by Volcarona if your Serp doesn't Glare it before +2, or if Serp is down.
Luckily for this team, there is pretty much 0 chance opposing Volc can get +2 on me. The only mons that Volc can switch in and set up on are Mega Latias and Serp locked into Leaf Storm. I switch straight into Greninja as they +1 up. They either KO me or die to Z-Giga, then I go Serp and glare. After a glare, it's no longer a threat. Lele can also come in as they QD up and OHKOs if there's any prior damage (eg Leaf Storm)

You just gotta play smart when you see an opposing Volc (eg double out with Lati or Glare predicting the Volc switch in). tbh it's never been a problem for this team.

To add to this, pretty much 99% of teams not carrying chansey are 6-0d by Volc at +2.

Last edited:
This team looks really cool, but since you have no electric immunity, how do you deal with specs koko simply spamming volt switch? Heatran also seems like it would be annoying to face.

This team looks really cool, but since you have no electric immunity, how do you deal with specs koko simply spamming volt switch? Heatran also seems like it would be annoying to face.
My primary strategy when playing volt-turn spamming teams is to prevent getting caught in the cycle in the first place. If I see a Koko on the opponent's team and I think they will lead it, I can lead Serp and get off 66-78% just like that. There isn't a single mon on my team that let's Koko get a free switch-in, so it's capacity to volt around is very limited. The weakest attack is Ice Beam from Lati and that still does 40-45%.

Volc after 1 QD 1v1s Specs Koko, as does my own Koko at +1. In a pinch, Lele can change the terrain and live any hit. Lati tanks any electric move easily, and if Koko goes for Dazzling Gleam it's a free QD for my Volc.

To play this team well you need to play pretty aggressively. Every time an opponent clicks a move, it has to cost them something in return. Yeah, sure, Koko can volt switch on my Volc, but does my opponent have something in the back that's taking on a Volc at +1? Yeah, sure, Koko can volt on my Lele, but does my opponent have anything in the back that can tank a Terrain boosted Psyshock or Moonblast? Sure, you can volt on my Serp if you want, but are you willing to trade 66-78% of your Koko's health? This thinking means that sometimes I think it's better to let one of my mons get KO'd rather than giving the opponent momentum. This team plays in such a way that Koko never has the momentum to freely Volt around.

Here's an example of me leading Serp vs Specs Koko and Leaf Storming turn 1, completely nullifying it's ability to switch into any moves: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-725570855

Also, I don't believe Specs Koko is a viable mon in this meta, with Zygarde and Lando-T on every 2nd team, you simply can't afford to be locked into an electric move.

Re Heatran, Volc 1v1s tran pretty easily with HP ground. Max HP, max speed variants are OHKO'd 99% of the time by +1 HP Ground. Any variants running SpDef dont carry enough SpAtk to prevent Volc from Quiver Dancing up or the Speed to Taunt. If it Toxics me, I can always KO it (or close to) and then Healing Wish back into Volc later on.

Tran gets wittled very easily against this team because it switches in on Leaf Storms and Psyshocks. For example, 2 Psyshocks from Lele does 50% min. As soon as Tran dips below 50-60%, it's all over. Koko can 2HKO with Tbolt and Volc can KO with unboosted HP Ground.

Last edited:
Hi! This team seems really fun. I have a question how do you deal with special walls? I see your only physical threat is gren and maybe psyshock lele, do you find it enough?

Hi! This team seems really fun. I have a question how do you deal with special walls? I see your only physical threat is gren and maybe psyshock lele, do you find it enough?
Hey!

Yeah, I find the only special walls you'll really have trouble with are Ttar and Chansey, both of which I've outlined above.

Other common special walls:
Toxapex: Can be dealt with by Lele, Koko, and Serp
Mag: Any variant is 1v1'd by Volc. No recovery so the AV set is easily worn down
Fini: Koko, Serp, can also be set up fodder for Volc
Mega-Venu: 1v1'd by Volc, Lele, Gunk into Z-Giga does like 90% if it's SpDef
Ferro: Set-up fodder for Volc. Can be stalled out of Gyro's by Lati after which Koko 1v1s or Serp can boost up on it (not that I've ever needed to do this).
Celesteela: Koko and Volc eat this for breakfast
Rachi: Set-up fodder for Volc. If you don't want to risk T-wave, set-up fodder for Koko.
Heatran: Outlined above
Amoonguus: Volc fodder, Lele, Ice Beam/Gunk into G-Giga KO's, walled by Lati
Assault vest Bulu: Destroyed by Gunk, 1v1'd by Lati, 1v1'd by Volc if it's not carrying Stone Edge, overpowered by Serp if it switches in on Leaf Storm
Mantine: Serp, Lele, Koko
Sableye: Set up fodder for Volc, Koko, boosted on by serp, Lele

I find that most Special walls that don't get overpowered by Serp boosting up (Steels and Grasses) are set-up fodder for Volc or Koko. Outside of Tar and Chansey, you shouldn't have any problems with special walls, you just need to play aggressively, double a lot, take advantage of Lele and Healing Wish. Most of the above mons also don't don't have enough firepower to dent Latias, so you can always pivot into that and Ice Beam freeze if you are desperate :p

Hope you enjoy the team!

This is a very interesting team! I especially liked your reasoning for not running stealth rocks (perhaps the most broken move in all of pokemon) on your team. This goes to show that a lot of thought was put into it and everything is the way that it is for a reason

Great team. I have been experimenting to find good EVs for defensive volc (my favorite Volc even from XY) and I personally find it hard to exactly find one. Your EVs are very interesting, I usually like to run timid 184 spe to outspeed scarf Lando-T at +1, but going to an even more defensive side looks valuable. HP Ground as your coverage move is also quite interesting. I will definitely be trying your team on the ladder lol

Great team. I have been experimenting to find good EVs for defensive volc (my favorite Volc even from XY) and I personally find it hard to exactly find one. Your EVs are very interesting, I usually like to run timid 184 spe to outspeed scarf Lando-T at +1, but going to an even more defensive side looks valuable. HP Ground as your coverage move is also quite interesting. I will definitely be trying your team on the ladder lol
Yeah, imo the best sweepers this gen are bulky ones that can recover health and get more than +1 or mons that automatically get stat boosts like Contrary Serp and Soul Heart Magearna. The reason mons like Mence and Dragonite aren't common anymore is that getting +1 just isn't good enough anymore with so many bulky mons running around and speed abusers like Lucha and Swampert in rain.

Regular Volc just isn't bulky enough for me and is way too priority weak. 184 Timid at +1 still gets outrun by way too many scarfers and doesn't have the power to muscle through most teams for my liking. Running Roost is a waste because it hasn't got the bulk to abuse it, and running 3 attacks means you are too easily worn down and revenged.

With this Volc spread you can easily get to +3 or +4 and just run through a team.

Enjoy the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)