SM OU Zardy/CM Lele Bulky Offense

Hello people, this is my first RMT. So I have built several teams for SM OU, and most of them were pretty mediocre or turned outdated within a span of a couple weeks. However, I feel that this team I made is actually pretty good. Still, I struggle to get above middle ladder with this team, so now I want to see if it is the team that is the problem or if I'm just a bad player. So, here's the crew:

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast

Alright, I'll take these two on together. Mega Charizard Y and Tapu Lele are two of my favorite wallbreakers in the SM OU metagame. One day, I noticed that the two of them could take out each others' checks, with Lele being able to break through Toxapex and Chansey while Zardy can deal with annoying steels such as Jirachi. So, the first concept of the team was to pair these two wallbreakers up to create a combination that could bust through any bulky team. The pair of these two is also amazing against stall, as if Lele can get Chansey chipped below 60%, then it can no longer switch into Zardy's Fire Blast. The sets here are pretty standard, with Fire Blast being chosen over Flamethrower to guarantee the 1HKO on things like defensive Landorus-Therian and opposing Tapu Lele, while widening the range in which it is guaranteed to 2HKO Chansey from 46% to 56%. I sometimes alternate between which Z-crystal I use on Tapu Lele - Psychium Z has pretty insane power in general, but Fightinium Z allows me to give no quarter to things like Heatran and Tyranitar.

This is a good core and all, but I need something to handle faster threats...

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

And that is where Scarf Greninja comes in. Greninja is, in my opinion, the best scarfer in the metagame in terms of checking faster threats. Gunk Shot disposes of Tapu Koko and Scarf Lele, and is its most powerful move in general. It also allows me to anti-lead Veil teams. Ice beam answers Garchomp, Kartana, and DD Zygarde, as well as a couple more niche threats like Salamence and Dragonite. Rock Slide not only gives me a Volcarona check (which could otherwise overwhelm my team) but is also good against ZardX, Victini, and Blacephalon. U-turn allows it to check both forms of Greninja, and prevents me from losing too much momentum. Greninja can also work as a low-risk lead in certain situations, though there are definitely times when I might not want to reveal it's Protean right off the bat. Overall, an invaluable member to this team, since it can deal with so many fast mons.

So I'm going to need a rocker. Since Defog support is going to be essential, the Stealth Rock setter will need to be able to set rocks multiple times if needed. Plus, I want more insurance against things like Heatran and Zygarde...

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Ah, Landorus-T, who was for a long time considered the best mon in OU, and still is considered to be top three at least. Anyway, there are a few reasons why I chose this mon as my rocker. First off, it provides good role compression. It is good at checking physical attackers, so it's nice to have some extra counterplay to potentially dangerous threats like ZardX and Zygarde. U-turn is also really nice on this team, since it can help me get Zardy and Lele in safely. Third, it gives me a Heatran check that doesn't rely on Focus Blast hitting. Finally, it is pretty sturdy, so if I need to use Defog there's a good chance it can set rocks again. This is why I chose the defensive set, as it needs to have saying power. Anyway, not much else to say about this mon - it's Lando-T, you should probably know what it does already.

So, I'm going to need Defog support. Additionally, I'm going to need a way to prevent Hawlucha from just running over my team.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

One flaw that was consistent in all of my earlier teams is that they were all run over by Hawlucha. This team was made during the height of the Hawlucha craze, so I knew I couldn't ignore this threat any longer. This is the main reason why I chose Zapdos as my defogger over something like Tornadus-T. And so far, I have a love-hate relationship with it. I do really like how it is one of the few checks to things like Kartana and the aforementioned Hawlucha that can fit on these teams, and it also can check other miscellaneous things such as Gyarados. On the other hand, there are quite a few problems that come when using this mon. The first is that it's strapped for movesets. Discharge, Defog, and Roost are all essential, so you have to choose between Heat Wave and HP Ice, each with their benefits and disadvantages. I was considering losing Heat Wave for HP Ice since Zardy canusually switch into thing like Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor, and it would stop me from giving free turns to Zygarde. However, then you lose the ability to check Kartana, and no matter what you pick, you're still kind of screwed against Heatran and Tyranitar. I also feel like it can be a bit passive at times, and can be setup bait for things like Volcarona and ZardX. Still, it is reliable at removing rocks, and that is an essential role for the team, even if it can lose you momentum when you have to Roost off rocks damage. I've tried other options in this slot, but if I don't have Zapdos then I lose to any team with a Hawlucha, which is not an acceptable outcome in this day and age.

Finally, it would be nice to have a good water and electric check, especially one that can provide good utility besides...

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Spikes
- Protect

So we have our final member of the team, Ferrothorn, which is something I just slap on a lot of teams nowadays. The obvious benefits to using this mon are clear: it gives you an Ash-ninja check, helps in the matchup against rain, can set hazards easily, can support the team with Leech Seed, and just in general does a lot. The only problem is that it can potentially give dangerous sweepers free setup, but my team has a back-up plan against most of them (Zapdos for Hawlucha, Gren for Volcarona, Lando for ZardX, etc.). Power whip is the chosen attacking move for a few reasons: it does the most damage to Ash-Gren, can break most Zygarde subs, helps check Mega Swampert, and in general can deal at least some damage against most things. Some people disagree with me on this, but I think Protect is a mandatory moveslot on Ferrothorn - it improves its survivability a lot, helps you scout movesets, and allows you to sometimes surprise High Jump Kick users if you wait to reveal the move. I tried running Ferro once without Protect, and it couldn't check half as much as it could with Protect. Overall, it provides a lot of utility and is a nice finishing touch to the team.

Threatlist:
Heatran - Although half of my team has a way around this, Heatran can be annoying if you give it one free turn. I also have no solid switchin for this, Zardy is the closest but if Heatran sets Stealth Rocks... Anyway, I think that every team to some extent has a weakness to this (it's not S for nothing) and I have ways to revenge kill it, so it's not too bad.
Certain Zygarde sets - Special Defensive Substitute sets in particular are very annoying. Like with Heatran, I think that every team has a weakness to at least one of its sets. Still, I feel like I could be doing more here.
Victini (especially Z-Celebrate) - This can just wreak havoc on my team. My main counterplay is hoping it gets chipped into Rock Slide range.
Mega Gallade - Flat out 6-0s my team if given a free setup. Mega Medicham is slightly less annoying since it has a lower speed tier and doesn't have Knock Off (so Lele can 1v1 it if it's fully healthy) but can still be dangerous.

Alright, so that's the team. I hope to get some good feedback!

Last edited:

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
Hey Sultan of Skook!

You've got an interesting team here. I really like Zard-Y because of its sheer power, and Zard-Y+Lele core which is featured in your team is amazing. Your team is able to answer many of prominent threats, but some matchups can be a bit troublesome. For example, your team dislikes facing SubCoil+Glare Zygarde. While Lando can check it, it is relatively easy to wear down, and your offensive Zygarde checks - Greninja and Lele - hate being Glared. Also your team's hazard controlling capabilities can be slightly poor in matchups like M-Tyranitar or Z-Heatran, and it means that Zard-Y can be heavily pressured because of its SR weakness. I'll explain it later.

Offensive part of your team looks fine for me, my suggestions will mostly change your team's defensive backbone. Let's go into the suggestions!

Major Changes
>
:
the first my suggestion will be replacing Zapdos with Gliscor. Honestly, Zapdos doesn't synergize well with Zard-Y because they share their vulnerability to M-Tyranitar. Heatran can also be annoying. Yeah, Zard-Y and Lele have Focus Blast, but it's unreliable. Also the fact that Heatran and M-Tyranitar are some of the best rockers in the tier doesn't help Zapdos. Gliscor has a better matchup vs both these threats so it can Defog their SR for Zard-Y more consistently. Gliscor's Taunt is also helpful in matchups like Reuni.

>
:
I removed your main Hawlucha answer, and Zygarde matchup is still not really good. In my opinion, fat Lando is somewhat inconsistent as a defensive mon, rocker, and check to physical attackers because it lacks of reliable recovery. Slowbro is waay more consistent physical wall that improves team's matchup vs Hawlucha, M-Medicham, and Zygarde, acts as an additional Heatran check and cripples Tyranitar with a potential Scald burn. Thunder Wave also helps patch up your main offensive core's relatively low Speed and somewhat compensates the loss of Zapdos's Static+Discharge. Slowbro's EV spread was taken from its OU analysis.

Minor Changes
:
since I removed your rocker, the team need another rocker. And I decided to give Ferrothorn Stealth Rock > Spikes. Ferrothorn is fairly good rocker thanks to its great defensive capabilities.

: while I agree that Fire Blast from Zard-Y hits like a truck, this move is inconsistent because of its low PP and accuracy. That's why my next suggestion is Flamethrower > Fire Blast. Flamethrower from Zard-Y is still really difficult to switch into, but unlike Fire Blast, Flamethrower is a very consistent move thanks to the combination of power, PP, and accuracy.

: the couple of last suggestions will regard your Greninja. I suggest to change EV spread to 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe so Greninja will OHKO Kartana with Ice Beam, and I guess Low Kick > Gunk Shot will be more helpful for your team because it gives an another way to deal with annoying Tyranitar and Heatran, and your team isn't really weak to Tapus.

I really enjoyed rating your team! Now I want to point out some of this variant of team's weaknesses. The main weakness is a consequence of removing Zapdos, and it's Kartana. The main your weapon vs this thing is a Greninja, but also remember that Slowbro almost always survives unboosted Leaf Blade after rocks and is able to cripple Kartana with Thunder Wave. Another trouble can be fast offensive teams. You'll heavily rely on Greninja to outpace mons, and considering that Greninja is very frail, it can be difficult to keep it alive throughout the game. Also you'll heavily rely on your defensive backbone, and Slowbro's Thunder Wave is very helpful in this matchup. Lastly, Gliscor is the only Defogger in the team, so it'll be immensely pressured by hazard-stacking teams. Losing your Gliscor means that Zard-Y will have hard time coming on the field because of SR. Preserve your Gliscor as long as possible and keep it healthy with Roost.

Hope you like this version of the team. Good luck with it, and have a nice day! (:
Importable

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)