Resource SM ZU Viability Rankings (VR Changes #375)

Mintly

formerly Spook
is an Artist
Two Nominations oh Boy!:

Oricorio-Pa'u
Unranked → C+ / C / C-

With Fighting types getting better during this shift, Higher demand for resists arose. With it's nice speed stat and amazing coverage of just 1 type resisting Psychic and Flying, Oricorio-P should be among its other styles. while not getting as many resistances as Oricorio-Baile and getting more weaknesses than Oricorio-Pom-Pom, Oricorio-Pa'u cant hit steels for neutral coverage. but what it is good at is being a solid wall to Fighting types. bringing Oricorio-P in against Fighting types (Or Choice Locked Fighting moves) allows Oricorio-Pa'u to get at least 1 Substitute in and be able to set up Calm Mind from there, making it a fast special sweeper.

Porygon
C- → Higher (I mean at least C+)

Others see Eviolite stall. i see it getting neutral BoltBeam coverage and a nice ability in Download to make the other team hurt.
Porygon @ Normalium Z
Ability: Download
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Conversion
- Ice Beam
- Tri Attack

Eviolite gives a 1.5 boost to defense and special defense of NFE and LC pokemon, but Z-Conversion provides just that, plus a 1.5 boost in Attack, Special Attack, and Speed, at the cost of being only once compared to Eviolite. being able to have multiple resistances is great for Porygon, and allows it to dominate unprepared teams. With the removal of Lycanroc who can tank it with Drill Run, and Poliwrath who slaps it with Vacuum Wave before it even has a chance to move, Porygon benefits from the shifts. Oh, and it also doesnt deserve to be the same rank as freaking Weepinbell.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-775013613 (Outdated with new shifts, but is still powerful nonetheless.)

Oh and
Weepinbell
C- → Unranked

Not used at all from what ive seen, and sure Weather Ball + Chlorophyll is good but this thing isnt going to live for very long. its pathetic.

kecleon.png

Kecleon: Unranked ---> A+

A really great mon which is pure annoyance to face againt, great movepool and decent bulk which when played right can make a hole in your team very easly. The best set is probably its AV set which lets you pivot into any special attack and being able to recover with drain punch. The other good set is Life orb for the juicy damage. The reason why I wouldnt put it in S is because its normal typing doesnt help its team defensevely at all, it sometimes has a hard time switching in, the special attackers hes supposed to counter mostly have volt/turn (chatot, rotom, zebra, sillvaly) and being any kind of statused is basically a death sentence.

abomasnow.jpg

Abamasnow: Unranked ---> A-

I was so hyped to see one of my favorite pokemons to drop to ZU and expected a lot from him but sadly... he didn't deliver as I expected. The Ex president still has good wallbreaking potential with stab blizzards, a tap of recovery with giga drain, focus blast and priority in ice shard. Your opponent might have a hard time switching in on abomasnow but so do you with bringing him safely in. Hazards are just a pain to deal with since the tiers hazard removers are pretty mediocre at doing so and his typing being poorly defensevly. The good thing abama brings is the insta hail which makes hail teams being a force to be reckoned with. I have yet to try the phisical SD set but it doesnt look that great in my eyes either.
rock.jpg

Golem: A ---> A+

This is a no brainer for me. Golem deserves to be a proud member of the A+ category. While the sp. defensive set is the most popular set atm, the offensive sets are the one pushing it over the top. There is almost nothing that wants to take the edge/quake combo in the tier (we dont talk about tangela). Golem can run a lot of different sets and be good in all of them like lead golem with weakness policy, sweeping set with rock polish and rockium Z and sp.def with leftovers and still having a lot move variations with sucker punch, toxic and explosion. My favorite set atm:

Golem @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock

Btw stone edge into rockium Z kills tangela on the switch with rocks up :')
silvally.png

Silvally Water: A+ ---> A / A-

I really don't have much to say about silvally besides being the best defoger in the tier doesnt make him a good mon overal because of him doing his job mediocerly. Good defensive typing, good coverage but he doesn't do his job as pivot and defoger as good as he used to. My main problem is his lack of recovery. Not being able to have leftovers sucks really hard for someone that has to keep being able to defog consistently. Now comes the question in mind if he's really that much better than lumineon who has leftovers and scald :thonk:

zebstrika.jpg

Zebstrika: B+ ---> A- / A

Just a fast, electric type thats not weak to rocks with 2 great abilities that took the spotlight after manectric left. I liked zebra before the drops and I like him even more now. I started using specs instead of Life Orb and its suprisingly good since it doesnt get chiped away fast. Im unsure if he deserves A but I can see him being there with the other A mons

Last edited:

Ampha

"They don’t call me Greed for nothing!"
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Some noms I'd like to support/make:
Golem A(aka Wario): C- -> C/C+
With Mario(Probopass) leaving the tier Golem Alola's niche as a trapper got a bit better,since It lost it's main rival in that niche,C+ for the time is fine as Golem lacks 2 of Probopass advantages: Pain split and Steel typing
Supporting both Kecleon and Abomasnow noms, Abomasnow is a decent pokémon but it's low speed tier holds It back,while both protean and color change Kek are incredible picks,having a lot of coverage moves to abuse both as well
Supporting Ice vally's nom as well, it's a cool niche pick to use,i've been pairing It with a trapper for grumpig (and using Thunder fang for Mareanie) or some check to mareanie and it's doing pretty well

Shed + Ditto: Higher
While both Shedinja and Ditto were niche stall picks on Pyukumuku's meta(Ditto is seen in some offensive ones too),with Pyukumuku leaving they have both more niche on stall builds,and while stall isn't really in it's best moment,both should move up
Zeb moving up is another one I support,Manectric leaving the tier Just made Zeb to take it's place
Well that's It for the time

Interesting changes. I'd say they're all accurate. I do believe Kecleon should be S personally but can see how he is where he is.

This is gonna be a bit long. Have some music:
First of all I would like to say that I really appreciate all the hard work Froasty did to make this VR update possible. Now onto the nom itself:

Silvally-Ice: Usually Useless -> C-/C/C+
I get it. This thing just rose. But it needs to rise again. To start, let's look at look at the rest of Usually Useless. Now I get that Silvally-Ice isn't Frostom good. But you cannot tell me that Icevally is no better than Weepinbell, Prinplup, Eevee, Furfrou, or Poiple. Also, are you trying to tell me that Politoed is better than Icevally? Yeeeah, I don't think so. Now let's get to the actual mon itself. Let's start with the set. The original set was by iFeedback, and then tweaked by me based on feedback. The set you see here is Icevally's sample set, which is the same thing but with Crunch as an option.
Silvally-Ice @ Ice Memory
Ability: RKS System
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Swords Dance
- Fire Fang/Crunch
- Zen Headbutt
As I said in my previous nomination (on Page 11), this a physical lead set. With Swords Dance, this set has 578 attack. In addition, it has 317 speed, so it outspeeds Icium and Rain Dance Frostoms. It also has 226 defense and 227 special defense, so it can take hits fairly well too. Now let's look at each move one by one. Swords Dance doubles Icevally's attack stat, which is always nice. Multi-Attack gives it a decently strong physical Ice-type move. Fire Fang has some alright strength, as well as a small chance to burn or flinch. Flame Charge is slightly weaker and can't burn or flinch, but it does increase Icevally's speed every time it uses it. With just one use of Flame Charge, Icevally can out speed Scarf Frostoms, which it can't do on its own. Thunder Fang is basically the same as Thunder Fang except for typing and has a chance of paralysis instead of burn. Zen Headbutt can help Icevally break through Mareanie and hit Monferno and Combusken for huge damage. Crunch can lower the defense of opponents, and is super effective against Psychic-type threats like Grumpig, Beeheeyem, and Metang. It's especially nice against Grumpig and Metang, because they're Ice Checks according to the compendium. Also, because it's a lead set, it will almost never have to worry about hazards, which mitigates its weakness to Stealth Rock. Now let's take a quick peek at the compendium. 17 mons are labeled as "Ice Checks" on the role compedium. 5 of them are weak to Fire: Bronzor, Alolan Duggy, Klang, Metang, and Regice. So yeah, there's that. Bronzor and Metang are also weak to Dark, as is Grumpig.
The damage is pretty sweet, as shown from these calcs (I added a few since last time).
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Fire Fang vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Frost: 216-256 (89.6 - 106.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Fire Fang vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Pinsir: 228-270 (84.1 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Fire Fang vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dugtrio-Alola: 346-408 (163.9 - 193.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Multi-Attack vs. 252 HP / 80+ Def Silvally-Grass: 414-488 (105 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Multi-Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Silvally-Dragon: 494-584 (149.2 - 176.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Multi-Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Leafeon: 378-446 (139.4 - 164.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Multi-Attack vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 206-246 (61.6 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Multi-Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Chatot: 882-1038 (301 - 354.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Crunch vs. 252 HP / 80 Def Grumpig: 356-420 (97.8 - 115.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Crunch vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Eviolite Misdreavus: 280-330 (86.6 - 102.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Crunch vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Beheeyem: 356-420 (103.4 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Crunch vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Eviolite Metang: 186-220 (57.5 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Crunch vs. 252 HP / 80 Def Grumpig: 356-420 (97.8 - 115.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Crunch vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Eviolite Misdreavus: 280-330 (86.6 - 102.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Crunch vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Beheeyem: 356-420 (103.4 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Multi-Attack vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 334-394 (104 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Silvally-Ice Crunch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rapidash: 94-111 (34.6 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Multi-Attack vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Vigoroth: 190-225 (52.1 - 61.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 178-210 (62 - 73.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Mareanie: 200-236 (66 - 77.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Multi-Attack vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Large: 296-350 (83.6 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 144 Def Eviolite Monferno: 252-298 (75.9 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
It's defense isn't too shabby either, and it can withstand attacks from several threats.
252 SpA Rotom-Frost Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Silvally-Ice: 132-156 (39.8 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Chatot Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Silvally-Ice: 187-222 (56.4 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Dugtrio-Alola Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Silvally-Ice: 228-270 (68.8 - 81.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Abomasnow Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Silvally-Ice: 102-120 (30.8 - 36.2%) -- 51.2% chance to 3HKO
0 Atk Vigoroth Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Silvally-Ice: 96-114 (29 - 34.4%) -- 3.6% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Mr. Mime Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Silvally-Ice: 114-135 (34.4 - 40.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Kadabra Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Silvally-Ice: 187-222 (56.4 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Also, unlike Beartic, Icevally isn't walled by Mareanie, thanks to Zen Headbutt, like mentioned before. But according to the OU VR, I can't just state stats and movepool. I must say what has changed in the meta to make it better. Let's start with tier shifts. Out of the 11 tier shifts, Icevally loves 7 of them, is indifferent to 2, and doesn't like the other 2. The 7 that it loves are Abomasnow dropping (because of Fire Fang/Flame Charge) and Lycanroc, Poliwrath, Probopass, Pyukumuku, Manectric, and Granbull leaving. It's indifferent to Liepard leaving (I think) and Keckleon dropping (Keck usually runs Drain Punch from my experience, but otherwise Icevally can one-shot it). The 2 it doesn't like are Torterra and Sandslash leaving, because Icevally could ouspeed and one-shot both of them. Anyway, let's move on to the VR update (again, thanks Froasty!). Aboma was added to A. Chatot, Bronzor, Durgonvally, Gourgeist-Large, Pawniard, Gabite, Beartic, Groundvally, Gothitelle, Honedge, Bugvally, Flyingvally and Zweilous rose. Watervally, Licki, Golduck, Chinchou, Prinplup, Corsola and Lumineon fell. These changes in Viability really help Icevally function better. Possible checks to Icevally include Golem, Alolem, and Rapidash. For Golem, Icevally outspeeds it, so at +2 (and at +1, 62.5% of the time), a Multi-Attack will bring Golem down to one health, so after that, if Icevally dies, you can bring out Monferno and finish Golem with Mach Punch. The same can be said for Alolem. If your opponent has Rapidash, predict the switch and give it a Crunch. There are more checks to Icevally, but I'll leave it at that for now.
Let's wrap this thing up with some replays. The one on the bottom is the worst, but it still shows off Icevally fairly well; the one on the top is the best, etc.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-780751347
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-772729258
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-780918812
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-780148129
And that does it for this nomination. Again, I get that Icevally just rose, but I still think Usually Useless is too low for it. I really hope that you take this one into consideration.

Last edited:

Hippopotas: Usually Useless -> Unranked
What is the reason of use this baby hippo now? Pratically all sand abusers are gone, Lycanroc-Day,Stoutland,Sandslash... Its only niche was Sand and what that Sand can do? Support Sand Force A-Dugtrio or Specially Defensive Cradily/Probopass? Its very outclassed by Golem and others Bulky Stealth Rock users in every single way. (And Golem even has Roar to setup sweepers like Hippopotas with Whirlwind...)

This is gonna be a bit long. Have some music:
First of all I would like to say that I really appreciate all the hard work Froasty did to make this VR update possible. Now onto the nom itself:

Silvally-Ice: Usually Useless -> C-/C/C+/B-
I get it. This thing just rose. But it needs to rise again. To start, let's look at look at the rest of Usually Useless. Now I get that Silvally-Ice isn't Frostom good. But you cannot tell me that Icevally is no better than Weepinbell, Prinplup, Eevee, or Furfrou. Also, are you trying to tell me that Politoed is better than Icevally? Yeeeah, I don't think so. Now let's get to the actual mon itself. Let's start with the set:
Silvally-Ice @ Ice Memory
Ability: RKS System
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Swords Dance
- Fire Fang/Flame Charge
- Crunch
As I said in my previous nomination (on Page 11), this a physical lead set. With Swords Dance, this set has 578 attack. In addition, it has 317 speed, so it outspeeds Icium and Rain Dance Frostoms. It also has 226 defense and 227 special defense, so it can take hits fairly well too. Now let's look at each move one by one. Swords Dance doubles Icevally's attack stat, which is always nice. Multi-Attack gives it a decently strong physical Ice-type move. Crunch can lower the defense of opponents, and is super effective against Psychic-type threats like Grumpig, Beeheeyem, and Metang. It's especially nice against Grumpig and Metang, because they're Ice Checks according to the compendium. The third move has two options. Fire Fang has some alright strength, as well as a small chance to burn or flinch. Flame Charge is slightly weaker and can't burn or flinch, but it does increase Icevally's speed everytime it uses it. With just one use of Flame Charge, Icevally can out speed Scarf Frostoms, which it can't do on its own. Also, because it's a lead set, it will almost never have to worry about hazards, which mitigates its weakness to Stealth Rock. Also, out of the 17 mons labeled as "Ice Checks" on the role compedium, 5 of them are weak to Fire: Bronzor, Alolan Duggy, Klang, Metang, and Regice. So yeah, there's that. Bronzor and Metang are also weak to Crunch.
The damage is pretty sweet, as shown from these calcs (I added a few since last time).
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Fire Fang vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Frost: 216-256 (89.6 - 106.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Fire Fang vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Pinsir: 228-270 (84.1 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Fire Fang vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dugtrio-Alola: 346-408 (163.9 - 193.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Multi-Attack vs. 252 HP / 80+ Def Silvally-Grass: 414-488 (105 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Multi-Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Silvally-Dragon: 494-584 (149.2 - 176.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Multi-Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Leafeon: 378-446 (139.4 - 164.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Multi-Attack vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 206-246 (61.6 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Multi-Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Chatot: 882-1038 (301 - 354.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Crunch vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Eviolite Metang: 186-220 (57.5 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Multi-Attack vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 334-394 (104 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Silvally-Ice Crunch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rapidash: 94-111 (34.6 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Multi-Attack vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Vigoroth: 190-225 (52.1 - 61.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 178-210 (62 - 73.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
It's defense isn't too shabby either, and it can withstand attacks from several threats.
252 SpA Rotom-Frost Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Silvally-Ice: 132-156 (39.8 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Chatot Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Silvally-Ice: 187-222 (56.4 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Dugtrio-Alola Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Silvally-Ice: 228-270 (68.8 - 81.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Abomasnow Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Silvally-Ice: 102-120 (30.8 - 36.2%) -- 51.2% chance to 3HKO
0 Atk Vigoroth Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Silvally-Ice: 96-114 (29 - 34.4%) -- 3.6% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Mr. Mime Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Silvally-Ice: 114-135 (34.4 - 40.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Kadabra Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Silvally-Ice: 187-222 (56.4 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
But according to the OU VR, I can't just state stats and movepool. I must say what has changed in the meta to make it better. Let's start with tier shifts. Out of the 11 tier shifts, Icevally loves 7 of them, is indifferent to 2, and doesn't like the other 2. The 7 that it loves are Abomasnow dropping (because of Fire Fang/Flame Charge) and Lycanroc, Poliwrath, Probopass, Pyukumuku, Manectric, and Granbull leaving. It's indifferent to Liepard leaving (I think) and Keckleon dropping (Keck usually runs Drain Punch from my experience, but otherwise Icevally can one-shot it). The 2 it doesn't like are Torterra and Sandslash leaving, because Icevally could ouspeed and one-shot both of them. Anyway, let's move on to the VR update (again, thanks Froasty!). Aboma was added to A. Chatot, Bronzor, Durgonvally, Gourgeist-Large, Pawniard, Gabite, Beartic, Groundvally, Gothitelle, Honedge, Bugvally, Flyingvally and Zweilous rose. Watervally, Licki, Golduck, Chinchou, Prinplup, Corsola and Lumineon fell. These changes in Viability really help Icevally function better. Possible checks to Icevally include Golem, Alolem, and Rapidash. For Golem, Icevally outspeeds it, so at +2 (and at +1, 62.5% of the time), a Multi-Attack will bring Golem down to one health, so after that, if Icevally dies, you can bring out Monferno and finish Golem with Mach Punch. The same can be said for Alolem. If your opponent has Rapidash, predict the switch and give it a Crunch. There are more checks to Icevally, but I'll leave it at that for now.
Let's wrap this thing up with some replays. The one on the bottom is the worst, but it still shows off Icevally fairly well; the one on the top is the best, etc.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-780751347
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-772729258
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-780918812
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-780148129
And that does it for this nomination. Again, I get that Icevally just rose, but I still think Usually Usless is too low for it. I really hope that you take this one into consideration.
Pushing anywhere past usually useless seems like too much for silv ice. While ice is a decent type offensiely I feel like this mon is still outclassed by both Abomasnow and Beartic due to either raw power, priority, or better coverage/abilities. While I believe your set could work decently on ladder, there was no proof of Silvally Ice’s potential vs a well built team, not even in replays. Secondly this mon is an SR weak setup sweeper that struggles to sweep without being hit for major damage by naturally faster threats, scarfers, defensive checks, and status users, so it rarely gets to go for a raw SD and Flame Charge even with proper support. This is one of Silv-Ice’s major flaws because in comparison to Silvallys with decent defensive typing and Aboma/Beartic (Ice Types woth auto speed boost and/or priority) Silv Ice is just a relatively weak mon with bad defensive typing and weak coverage to boot. Lastly this mon gets bopped by this mons premier walls, Mareanie, which colpletely laughs at anything Silv Ice can do. Variants with Thunder Fang can’t even break past the urchin without hax.

PS. if you run silv Ice you also cant run another silv as defog support which RLY hurts. Especially because Silv Dark + Aboma is a rly solid core rn

Last edited:
Lastly this mon gets bopped by this mons premier walls, Mareanie, which colpletely laughs at anything Silv Ice can do. Variants with Thunder Fang can’t even break past the urchin without hax.
Not really. If Icevally is at +2, Mareanie will almost always use Haze to get rid of it. This allows Icevally to use another Thunder Fang and finish the thing off. Furthermore, Icevally outspeeds Mareanie, and there's a small chance that Mareanie will flinch from the first Thunder Fang, preventing it from removing the +2, and preventing Mareanie from doing anything. I did the calc to make sure.
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Thunder Fang vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Mareanie: 162-192 (67.2 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Silvally-Ice Thunder Fang vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Mareanie: 82-98 (34 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Also, Mareanie is rarely used as a lead from my experience, giving you a free turn for Swords Dance. Also if your opponent switches to Mareanie while you're using Thunder Fang, then congratulations, Mareanie's out. Sure, this requires prediction, but if you get it right, you just eliminated Mareanie. I get that B- is probably stretching it a little, but I don't think C- (or even C) is anywhere near out of the question.

Tuthur

Haha CEO
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Not really. If Icevally is at +2, Mareanie will almost always use Haze to get rid of it. This allows Icevally to use another Thunder Fang and finish the thing off. Furthermore, Icevally outspeeds Mareanie, and there's a small chance that Mareanie will flinch from the first Thunder Fang, preventing it from removing the +2, and preventing Mareanie from doing anything. I did the calc to make sure.
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Thunder Fang vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Mareanie: 162-192 (67.2 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Silvally-Ice Thunder Fang vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Mareanie: 82-98 (34 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Also, Mareanie is rarely used as a lead from my experience, giving you a free turn for Swords Dance. Also if your opponent switches to Mareanie while you're using Thunder Fang, then congratulations, Mareanie's out. Sure, this requires prediction, but if you get it right, you just eliminated Mareanie. I get that B- is probably stretching it a little, but I don't think C- (or even C) is anywhere near out of the question.
+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Thunder Fang vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Mareanie: 146-174 (48.1 - 57.4%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Silvally-Ice Thunder Fang vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Mareanie: 74-88 (24.4 - 29%) -- 99.1% chance to 4HKO
Next time take the time to check your calc.

+2 252 Atk Silvally-Ice Thunder Fang vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Mareanie: 146-174 (48.1 - 57.4%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Silvally-Ice Thunder Fang vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Mareanie: 74-88 (24.4 - 29%) -- 99.1% chance to 4HKO
Next time take the time to check your calc.
There's more to it than raw power. There's a chance of both paralysis and flinching. Also those damages aren't half bad. Still, thanks for the correction. I never use Mareanie so I don't know its EVs well.

Last edited:

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
There's more to it than raw power. There's a chance of both paralysis and flinching. Also those damages aren't half bad. Still, thanks for the correction. I never use Mareanie so I don't know its EVs well.
I wouldn’t call a 10% chance of those effects to be enough to be considered consistent. Also, the barnacle can always switch after to Haze for Regenerator recovery and pivot into another check

Silvally being B- sounds strange to me, what its have that makes it at least usable? A physical deffoger only weak to fighting? (I'm just asking, I never seen a Silvally in a team)

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Silvally being B- sounds strange to me, what its have that makes it at least usable? A physical deffoger only weak to fighting? (I'm just asking, I never seen a Silvally in a team)
Silvally(-Normal)'s best set is actually a Swords Dance set. It has the single most power Explosion in the game thanks to access to a boosting move and its capable of making good use of it for its ability to hold a Z-Crystal. If you try it out, I recommend Normalium Z with Swords Dance/Explosion/Crunch/Return or Double-Edge. Nuke something with +2 Z-Explosion and then another thing with +2 Explosion when you want to go down.

Last edited:
Just a few noms.

Grumpig - A+ -> A/A- (sorry bacon)
Yea, i love Grumpig, but there're just some metagame trends that are really hurting the pig's effectiveness.
First of all, it despises Kecleon's popularity and it really cant do much to it other than clicking Focus Blast on the switch in, which is barely a 3hko, being threatened by Sneak/Knock Off to eternity.
Second, the rise of the Mareanie + Bronzor core is a big problem to it. Toxic Spikes being everywhere really cripples the Recycle set and Bronzor pretty much just sits in front of Grumpig only fearing some Shadow Ball drops (which normally isnt even run) or Taunt.
Third, the rise of Silvally-Dark as as common Pursuit trapper makes it harder for Grumpig to deal with trappers, considering it cant be OHKOed by Focus Blast like Liepard was.
Sure, Grumpig has a decent movepool and can adapt to deal with some of the mentioned threats like running calm mind + taunt to beat Bronzor, but as doing so it gives up on longevity and misses on being able to check to several key mons in the tier like Rotom-Frost and Monferno.

Shiftry - B+ -> A-
*slaps roof of shiftry* This bad boy can break so many Mareanies and Bronzors.
Being able to deal with the deadly LC duo is no joke, and by doing so Shiftry is much better than it was before the tier shift, especially with all the new switch in opportunities to set up a Swords Dance. Sure, this still struggles vs Silvally-Fighting, Silvally-Dark or pretty much any Silvally with U-turn, but if you time it right, Shiftry is a deadly sweeper.
What makes it better than Leafeon and therefore worthy of a higher rank? Sucker Punch, being able to deal with common revenge killers like Chatot, Rotom-Frost and even Monferno after minor chip is pretty good, setting it above the eeveelution.
Some calcs to support this.
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Shiftry Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Monferno: 207-244 (76.9 - 90.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Shiftry Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Mareanie: 220-261 (72.6 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Shiftry Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Frost: 234-277 (97 - 114.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Shiftry Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Silvally-Dragon: 259-305 (78.2 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (kills it after minor chip)

1533680653026.jpeg

Ninjask C+ -> B/B+
Ninjask is in a great position right now, being able to run 2 very potent sets in Choice Band or Z-Dig, and this is mainly due to Lycanroc's departure (praise lord jesus).
The Z-Dig set gets very hard to stop after a Swords dance, being able to take out defensive mons like Mareanie, Muk and Golem (after sturdy is broken) that dont care much about Ninjask other moves.
Overall, the ninja bug also benefits from hazard pressure bc it can sometimes get a free switch in when the opposing silvally goes for the defog, especially for the recently in-fashion dark and fighting silvally forms, getting a free Swords dance.

EDIT: I realised i was a bit vague with priority users in the tier, what i meant was that Ninjask doesnt really struggle with priority like it used to and now can shine, but every mon has its weaknesses and Ninjask's is that its a very frail mon, so just play around mons with strong priority like Abomasnow, Pawniard and Shiftry.

1533681394456.jpeg

Lumineon - Unranked -> C-/Usually Useless
This change made no sense to me, just bring the fish back.
Sure, Lumineon has seen better days and is mostly outclassed by Silvally-(insert type) in the metagame as a defogger, but in the few cases you want to run a offensive Silvally form (which are great too) Lumineon is one of the best defoggers in the tier, especially in a fast and offensive meta like this one, with access to a nice water immunity and the ability to pivot with U-turn.

Also Baltoy -> S rank

Last edited:
Pushing anywhere past usually useless seems like too much for silv ice. While ice is a decent type offensiely I feel like this mon is still outclassed by both Abomasnow and Beartic due to either raw power, priority, or better coverage/abilities. While I believe your set could work decently on ladder, there was no proof of Silvally Ice’s potential vs a well built team, not even in replays. Secondly this mon is an SR weak setup sweeper that struggles to sweep without being hit for major damage by naturally faster threats, scarfers, defensive checks, and status users, so it rarely gets to go for a raw SD and Flame Charge even with proper support. This is one of Silv-Ice’s major flaws because in comparison to Silvallys with decent defensive typing and Aboma/Beartic (Ice Types woth auto speed boost and/or priority) Silv Ice is just a relatively weak mon with bad defensive typing and weak coverage to boot. Lastly this mon gets bopped by this mons premier walls, Mareanie, which colpletely laughs at anything Silv Ice can do. Variants with Thunder Fang can’t even break past the urchin without hax.

PS. if you run silv Ice you also cant run another silv as defog support which RLY hurts. Especially because Silv Dark + Aboma is a rly solid core rn
By the way, I replaced Thunder Fang with Zen Headbutt, which hits Mareanie even harder than Thunder Fang, and also decimates Monferno and Combusken.

Last edited:

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I am here to nominate Oranguru to C- Rank For an Assult Vest set I feel is actually pretty solid. (s/o to yogi, he didn't make this set but used something similar before I did in PU, which made me think of this.)

Oranguru @ Assault Vest
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off
- Shadow Ball

Inner Focus is the only singles ability it has access to, Modest + 252 Special attack lets it hit as hard as Possible, the speed lets it outpace adamant max speed Golem and OHKO with Focus Blast, if sturdy is broken. Psychic + Focus Blast gives it almost perfect neutral coverage. Knock Off + Shadow Ball actually makes this set beat common Bronzor + Mareanie cores.

So I think the biggest argument against this would be the existence of AV Bouffalant, but honestly comparing the two of them Oranguru might actually be a better fit on a good amount of teams running Bouffalant. Oranguru checks a good portion of Pokemon better than Bouffalant can such as Nasty Plot Mr. Mime, SubWow Rotom-Frost, Golem, Combusken, Abomasnow, Misdreavus and Nasty Plot Raichu. The big contributors to this are its Psychic Normal typing letting it take neutral damage from Fighting-type coverage and similar bulk even when heavily invested in speed.

On top of that Oranguru can threaten common cores Boffalant struggles with like Mareanie + Bronzor as it OHKO's Mareanie and can treatenBronzor with Knock + Shadow Ball. All said and done I think having the better defensive typing, higher special bulk allowing it to invest in it's already higher speed tier and the ability to not be completely walled by Pokemon Bouffalant normally is gives it a valid reason to see use. The only real big drawback that I can see is that it can be Pursuit trapped so :blobsad:.

Defensive Calcs

+2 252 SpA Mr. Mime All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Oranguru: 212-250 (60.3 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (Raichu has a lower damage output here)

252+ SpA Combusken All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Oranguru: 157-186 (44.7 - 52.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Abomasnow Focus Blast vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Oranguru: 83-99 (23.6 - 28.2%) -- 79% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and hail damage

252 SpA Chatot Boomburst vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Oranguru: 111-132 (31.6 - 37.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Rotom-Frost Subzero Slammer (185 BP) vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Oranguru: 160-190 (45.5 - 54.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Silvally-Dragon Draco Meteor vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Oranguru: 117-138 (33.3 - 39.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

+6 252+ SpA Misdreavus Hidden Power Fighting vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Oranguru: 132-156 (37.6 - 44.4%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Offensive Calcs

252+ SpA Oranguru Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mr. Mime: 128-152 (57.9 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (you need a bit of chip as AoP + Gleam KO's)

252+ SpA Oranguru Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Raichu: 151-178 (57.8 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Oranguru Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Abomasnow: 256-302 (79.7 - 94%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Oranguru Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Abomasnow: 144-171 (44.8 - 53.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Oranguru Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Golem: 316-374 (104.9 - 124.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Oranguru Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-Frost: 210-248 (87.1 - 102.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Oranguru Psychic vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Misdreavus: 96-114 (29.7 - 35.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-789680932 Against JdRDMS It would have taken out both Mr. Mime and Rotom-F if the last Blizzard didn't crit :blobtriumph:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-789679323 Against BloodAce0107 Destroys Bronzor, bop.

I am here to nominate Oranguru to C- Rank For an Assult Vest set I feel is actually pretty solid. (s/o to yogi, he didn't make this set but used something similar before I did in PU, which made me think of this.)

Oranguru @ Assault Vest
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off
- Shadow Ball

Inner Focus is the only singles ability it has access to, Modest + 252 Special attack lets it hit as hard as Possible, the speed lets it outpace adamant max speed Golem and OHKO with Focus Blast, if sturdy is broken. Psychic + Focus Blast gives it almost perfect neutral coverage. Knock Off + Shadow Ball actually makes this set beat common Bronzor + Mareanie cores.

So I think the biggest argument against this would be the existence of AV Bouffalant, but honestly comparing the two of them Oranguru might actually be a better fit on a good amount of teams running Bouffalant. Oranguru checks a good portion of Pokemon better than Bouffalant can such as Nasty Plot Mr. Mime, SubWow Rotom-Frost, Golem, Combusken, Abomasnow, Misdreavus and Nasty Plot Raichu. The big contributors to this are its Psychic Normal typing letting it take neutral damage from Fighting-type coverage and similar bulk even when heavily invested in speed.

On top of that Oranguru can threaten common cores Boffalant struggles with like Mareanie + Bronzor as it OHKO's Mareanie and can treatenBronzor with Knock + Shadow Ball. All said and done I think having the better defensive typing, higher special bulk allowing it to invest in it's already higher speed tier and the ability to not be completely walled by Pokemon Bouffalant normally is gives it a valid reason to see use. The only real big drawback that I can see is that it can be Pursuit trapped so :blobsad:.

Defensive Calcs

+2 252 SpA Mr. Mime All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Oranguru: 212-250 (60.3 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (Raichu has a lower damage output here)

252+ SpA Combusken All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Oranguru: 157-186 (44.7 - 52.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Abomasnow Focus Blast vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Oranguru: 83-99 (23.6 - 28.2%) -- 79% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and hail damage

252 SpA Chatot Boomburst vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Oranguru: 111-132 (31.6 - 37.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Rotom-Frost Subzero Slammer (185 BP) vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Oranguru: 160-190 (45.5 - 54.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Silvally-Dragon Draco Meteor vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Oranguru: 117-138 (33.3 - 39.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

+6 252+ SpA Misdreavus Hidden Power Fighting vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Oranguru: 132-156 (37.6 - 44.4%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Offensive Calcs

252+ SpA Oranguru Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mr. Mime: 128-152 (57.9 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (you need a bit of chip as AoP + Gleam KO's)

252+ SpA Oranguru Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Raichu: 151-178 (57.8 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Oranguru Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Abomasnow: 256-302 (79.7 - 94%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Oranguru Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Abomasnow: 144-171 (44.8 - 53.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Oranguru Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Golem: 316-374 (104.9 - 124.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Oranguru Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-Frost: 210-248 (87.1 - 102.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Oranguru Psychic vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Misdreavus: 96-114 (29.7 - 35.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-789680932 Against JdRDMS It would have taken out both Mr. Mime and Rotom-F if the last Blizzard didn't crit :blobtriumph:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-789679323 Against BloodAce0107 Destroys Bronzor, bop.
OK, so this is very good, and I can see this potentially moving up to C-. But um, I'd just like to state something. So, uh, my teams got wiped for some reason, so I remade my 2 most recent teams (which are basically identical except for one mon lol). And well, I forgot to put EVs on Icevally lol. I doubt it would have changed much in the long run, but still. Otherwise, this is really good, and I think I can see it moving to C-.

Is Lampent Worth Using?

Lampent @ Eviolite
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower
- Haze/Hex/Night Shade
- Pain Split

At first sight, you might think this mon is overshadowed by Mareanie as an answer to Monferno/Vigoroth/Muk, but It might have some niches and quirks which can warrant usage and set it apart from its contemporary.

First of all, this mon is actually quite a good counter to Chatot, it is immune to its Boomburst and resists Heat Wave, and this is significant because Chatot is a premier threat in the tier right now. If you switch into a scarfed Boomburst with this thing, you can get a free turn which could allow you to Will o Wisp, recover with Pain Split, or double out and gain momentum. In general, Lampent is an answer to Monferno/Vigoroth/Muk that deals with most special attacking threats in the tier, such as Kadabra, Mr. Mime, Ninetales, and even Rotom if it isn't scarfed.

Unfortunately in most cases, Mareanie is the better option. This is for more than one reason. For one, having regenerator and not being weak to rocks makes switching with Mareanie much more free. Not just this, but Mareanie has very reliable recovery with Recover and regenerator. Finally, Mareanie can provide more utility than Lampent due to it having Toxic Spikes, which it gets many opportunities to use.

So ultimately, is this mon worth using? Most of the time, Mareanie is the better choice, but that's not to say it's completely useless. For example, if you need a Monferno answer but you're also really weak to Chatot, although in that situation it can be argued that Mareanie should be used and a different mon from the team should be replaced. For this reason, I believe that it deserves the C rating it has on the VR, it is only usable in rare circumstances.

Last edited:

Apagogie

Zee you later
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Nominations of others :

Hippopotas Usually Useless -> Unranked Agree
Well I dont think we have to let rank mons who are just bad and without any niches. Sand isn't viable anymore, we lose all our abusers bar Duggy-A, Abomasnow scarf stops it totally and even hippopotas is in itself a bad sand setter which struggles between eviolite and tiny sandsandstrom or smooth rock and die very quickly. A sand team is bad in itself and Duggy-A prefer getting good partners to shot down what stops it than a boost in power than it doesn't really need. Add hippopotas in a team makes only the teambuild weaker than it's without. Lets don't be too conservative about ranking bad mon and lets unrank hippo.

Silvally-Ice Usually Useless -> Somewhere in C Meh
Well, I dont like too much the Usually Useless rank so I could maybe be agree with that but lol Silvally-Ice is really really bad. The main issue about Vally-Ice is there are lot of mons which does exactly the same job than it but just in better. If you decide to playing your Vally-Ice , you lose your vally slot to defog and than hurts already a bit. So the vally has to be very good to have a reason to play it. There are plenty mons in ZU which are set up sweepers such as Leafeon, other Vallys, Monferno, Ninjask, even Beartic in ice type, etc. Why play Silvally-Ice instead of them ? It's not only just handicapping for your team, it's also far harder to set up due to its bad defensive typing and it is as well far more easy to RK (hey rapidash). Run Ninjask, Vally-Fighting SD or Leafeon and you will have the same results but just better and without weaken too much your teambuild. I dont really mind if Vally-Ice is finally ranked in C rank but i dont see either the reason why.

Grumpig A+ -> A Agree
Yeah, that's something i think for ages and i'm agree grumpig isn't on the A+ level anymore. On the recent meta trends, czim did a good list how what is problematic for the pig, toxic spikes are everywhere and weaken it very a lot, it cannot really pass bronzor without specific sets, kecleon is almost a free switch, dark moves are everywhere (and grumpig cannot handle the colbur), i add too that almost everyvally runs u-turn nowadays. Grumpig is a mon which hates switching and be chipped and we are in a meta where we like switching a lot. Its staying power is pretty low actually and it helps mons what grumpig normally checks. Monferno SD Jolly at +2 can one shot Grumpig after SR with its Z-Move, same for Rapidash which can deal a grumpig chipped, Rotom-Frost also weaken easily with a Thunderbolt doing +/- 35% without leftovers recovery. Recyle Mago Berry isn't the same thing than a Recovery, that costs you the item and sub to be easily on the range. Of course, these things aren't new but it's far more annoying for grumpig than in the past due to how easily it's weaken. It doesnt accomplish as well its role to check a big part of the meta as it should do. You will enjoy better to have a Kecleon Recover to have the SR or an AV one to dont be as passive as grumpig is sometimes. I feel when i'm battling a grumpig than 50% of the time it does recycle, 45% substitute, a grumpig in the opposite team is sometimes just free switch land, i'm happy to see one when i play lurantis. It suffers too for a big 4mss in wanting Psychic/Psyshock/FB/CM/Recyle/Sub/Taunt/Heal Bell/Shadow Ball in a single set, an item syndrom in wanting mago berry, leftovers and colbur, even sometimes a spread syndrom to increase its staying power or its offensive presence... And ofc if you could get glutonny and thick fat on a single set it would be cool too. Grumpig stays a good mon overall but it's simply not anymore on the same level than the other A+ mons.

Shiftry B+ -> A- Agree
Well, the drop wasn't justified for me either. If I recognised the new popular Vally forms are quite annoying, dont forget how stab Koff is threaten nowadays. It gets rid easily of the common Mareanie + Bronzor core and Silvally doesn't have recovery (and has to come very often on the board to defog). It's personnally one of the most threaten mon I dont like to face at the teampreview and i know i have to play very carefully to dont lose my balanced core. It's also a mon which is very strong against all playstyles, it's quite uncommon to be noted. I tested recently the specs version of Shiftry and the pressure it exerces on the opponent's team is just insane. Bulky Vallys are proprely 2HKO, Mareanie OHKO, offensive checks are just shot down with SR damages. You can even run Defog in last fourth slot to compress the roles. I dont think Shiftry is less viable than before, I dont feel it's less good or less threaten. A- is still justified.

Ninjask C+ -> B+ Eww not that high but agree for a rise. B-/B
C+ is underanked. Czim once again presented some points to explain why (notably the lycanroc departure, etc), I will just add on this subject how much it lackes of real common counter actually. Even stuff like Mareanie is theorically one shot by Z-Dig after SD and other crucial counters can also be beaten after some chips. It's also a mon which doesn't need to set up to be useful and that's why I feel it's more easy to incorporate in a team (due to its speed notably) than stuff such as Swoobat which is also a threaten set up Sweeper but which exists only to boost its stats. It means even if it requires support, it's one of the set up sweepers the most splashable. Its cb set is useful when you just need speedcontrol. B+ is a bit too high but i'm strongly agree for a rise in B- or even in B.

Lumineon Unranked -> Usually Useless/C- Disagree
No, Lumineon isn't one of the best defogger in the tier. There is absolutely no reason to use it over Silvally-Water and even in the situations where you want to use an offensive vally, Lumineon is one of the worst choice. In ZU, we have Frosttom, Togetic, Combusken, Rotom-Fan, Shiftry, Vullaby, Prinpulp, Vibrava, Lurantis, Volbeat, Murkrow, even Chatot/Oricorio on a locked set to remove stealth rocks. Its water immunity is almost useless in a tier where the water spam exists only in rain (which have a lot of answers against lumineon anyway, even golduck) and became less good than it was before, it's not the only one to get a pivot move either (hey vullaby, frosttom, rotom-fan, volbeat, vibrava, etc). Its only way to have recovery is leftovers and koff is everywhere, its bulk is very bad (69/76/86). No reason to play this mon. Keep it Unranked.

Oranguru Usually Useless -> C- Quite Agree
Well there is no much reason to use it over Kecleon/Bouffalant but i played it and i recognize it has a small niche in being a bulky AV able to weaken several mons than Bouffa or Kec cannot such as the cores Mareanie/Bronzor, Tangela/Muk, etc. However, it cannot stop things such as boomburst chatot (Bouffa can and it's nice) or doesnt have the speed control of Kec or the recovery to be enough effective. It's very easy to chip it and it hates switching a lot, its staying power is quite meh. It's not trash tier but it doesnt shine either. It has some problems but it's effective well played though. It brings a decent support to the team and hits hard enough to pressure the opposite squad ( its coverage is perfect btw) and destroys common cores. It's far more viable than several mons in C- (hey Lopunny and Wartotle) so i dont see any reasons to dont let be ranked somewhere there.

Replays about :
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-790001043
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-789993823
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-789996743
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-789999193

My noms (only for rise, I will do an other post for drop because well, it will be too much otherwise) :

Mareanie A -> A+
I think we can rank Mareanie at the place which deserved right now. It became the new signature of ZU. Have a balanced, a bulky stall, a semi-stall without Mareanie just looks weird and bad build, it's the meta antimeta toy which centralizes the meta in decentralizing it. It provides in any one slot a Ferno switch-in, a Combusken switch-in, a Rapidash switch in, can deal with lurantis physical no koff version, a way to deal with cursemuk, prevents subviggy to sweep, bring toxic spikes to weaken the opposite team and in the same time the poison typing to remove the opposite toxic spikes, a Kec soft switch in, the ability to switch on a big part of the more common mons (and Mareanie likes switching a lot), in threating an opposite switch with scald/koff. To be short, it deals with the middle of the meta and influences how the battle is going to happen, even if it's not on floor. Of course that's not that difficult to threaten or pressure it, its bulk is very good without being amazing (especially when it's koffed), but it doesnt remove anything about its qualities. We are at a moment where building a team without Mareanie has become an exercice. I think to rank Mareanie in A+ reflects fully the impact it has in the meta right now, far more than the rest of A mon.

Silvally Dragon & Fighting A- -> A
The facility you have in splashing them in whatever team in defogger deserved the A rank. Even with all the flaws they have, you rarely end a core without one of them. They are both bulky defogger offensive, bulky pivot offensive, they pressure the opponent team with a strong move or just in pivoting/toxic them. They are decent checks to send against a good amount of threats. Vally-Fighting is one of the rare mon to be able to deal with both vigo version. Of course, these things aren't new but it's really appreciable to have that in a single slot especially now, to send frail attackers, to pressure easily with DM, to weaken annoying stuff with toxic. These two forms are the best and the more used vally forms (bar water). The A rank reflects better their viability and their splashability at the moment.

Lurantis B+ -> A-
I wont be against an other Lurantis rise seeing how it's good right now. Except stuff like Muk, there is not really thing which come on it. It's our best grass types with tang at the moment and its ability to force switch is quite enjoyable at the moment. Every time I face it in a battle i pray to face the defog version because it's the more manageable of all but lol that stays really difficult to switch into. If it runs Leaf storm i basically lose a mon every time I face it, the resttalk version isn't bad either because if mareanie is koffed it gets rid of it without scaring burn or poison. It can win the dual against Kec with good mindgames, against vigo if enough superpower/leaf storm, and pressure 2/3 of mons in A- to S. A- is a fine place for it.

Mawile B+ -> A-
See my precedent posts on the topic. Nothing has changed. Mawile, with the departure of torterra and the arriving of Kecleon became an amazing rocker able to check a good amount of threats. If it cleary has a lot of flaws, it's still one of our best rocker in the tier and which helps the teambuilding in various ways in giving sr, checks to threaten mons such as shiftry, kecleon, physical sweepers and in supporting the team with koff/taunt/etc. It's slightly better than it was before the shifts and i add its sheer force set is annoying to face if it runs the good coverage moves.

Rampardos B- -> B
I nominate Rampardos not much for its TR set (even if it's really good) but overall for its SR and Scarf sets which are both ridiculous to face. If before mons such as Torterra did shadow to lots of rockers, now the space is a bit more free. Rampardos became a good alternative to Golem simply thanks to its ridiculous strength and its coverage which helps it also a bit. Rampardos doesn't have any real counter and now Torterra is gone, it doesnt have to run ice beam and can just have fun to catch bronzor and tangela with a strong fire blast. Every time you send in on the board, a mon in the opposite team dies. Rampardos is also a fanstatic lead anti-lead actually if you run the Mold Breaker Sash set because it one shot Shuckle and Crustle with Head Smash which prevents the Sticky web/Spikes to be setted. Surf meme can be added to one shot offensive golem. 58 speed is not a bad speed it actually because it allows to outspeed the whole slow range of ZU mons. Scarf Rock slide is scaring to face as well even if not as good as its SR set. Rampardos is a more threaten SR setter than Golem, prevents stuff like Tangela/Bronzor to be safe switch and in pressuring a lot the opposite team with just the small support of u-turn/volt switch. Rock Slide is generally spammable without doing prediction btw.

Raticate B- -> B
Eww I tested it recently and it's a monster. Raticate hits as hard as our dear Stoutland, forever in our hearts. The number of things which is able to switch in correctly on this face is reduced to Tangela. It's however better in paper than in practise because it suffers for a big 4mss and it's in glass but the power of Guts Facade dont have to be underestimate. Sucker Punch/U-turn provides too a big support of speed control/pivoting. Now the meta is slower, I feel it's the good moment to let it climb the VR. Raticate is a threaten mon, never underestimate it.

Electrode C+ -> B-
No Manectric doesn't only mean a happy Zebstrika but also a happy Electrode. If before the only viable set of Electrode was the taunt screen set (decent set btw), it enjoys now running pivot sets like its partner Zebstrika. The advantage it gets over Zeb is obviously Soundproof which helps against chatot, its speed (outspeed Ada Beartic under hail, ada crustle at +2 and Butterfree at +1) and it hits harder than Zeb thanks to the Modest nature. Timid is also an option if you want to outspeed huntail ada/crustle jolly at +2 and scarf ferno but it's not mandatory imo. To be short, Electrode is an alternative to Zebstrika very viable and it's far more useful and splashable than the whole C tier list.

Silvally-Poison C+ -> B
I know it's a pretty big jump but it's globally deserved. Silvally-Poison is one of the five best Vally just after Fighting/Dragon/Water and Dark. It wasn't really good before because it had some flaws which still exist now such as lose the dual against almost every rocker in ZU, lose against common threats (Lycanroc + Torterra SD when there were still in ZU), etc. However, there are two things which make Silvally-Poison better. The first one is it's probably the best Vally to counter Kecleon which is a big advantage in this meta, the second one is it removes toxic spikes & be not poisonned by them. It's really important to considere this when we know how often Mareanie is in the teams and how easily a Silvally Poisonned is weaken. Silvally-Poison is probably now the Vally which has the biggest staying power in ZU and that's something which shouldn't be forgotten when you will choose which vally you will incorporate in your team. It has some big flaws (be a free switch to golem really sucks) so it needs a bit more support than the other vallys (it needs bronzor for example) but it's still one of the best.

Arbok C -> C+/B-
Arbok is a bit underanked considering how threaten this mon is. Its best set is Coil/Gunk shot/Earthquake/Z-Sucker Punch which allows to get rid of Mareanie/Bronzor quite easily after setting up. Arbok is a set up Sweeper which is difficult to getting rid even offensively because Coil + Intimidate makes it very difficult to RK. If stuff like Poli/Lycan were annoying, they are gone now. Arbok has a je-ne-sais-quoi which makes it really different and never useless in a battle. Intimidate can work to decrease the Atk stat of the opponent, its poison typing to remove toxic spikes, sucker punch to speed control. It's always a mon which I fear to face because i know i can lose if i did the wrong prediction, whatever team i play (except gabite but heee). It's a mon quite difficult to play but very threaten to face.

Vibrava C -> B-
This mon is very decent atm. I was looking for a defoger with recovery which wasn't too weak to golem, I was a bit disappointing because i find nothing and then i realize vibrava exists. And lol, this mon is a gift of god. Recovery + Resists EdgeQuake + defog + resists all Rapidash moves + u-turn. Yeah it's koff weak and very frail without the eviolite but it's simply makes the teambuilding so easy when you play it. If for whatever reason you dont want to bring a vally, take this small beautiful bug which is a dragon and your life is going to be peaceful. Very splashable with a correct support.

Prinpulp Usually Useless -> C
Prinpulp finds its place in rare archetype of teams which needs a lot of mons to work such as Shedistall, compress SR and defog in a single set isn't bad in these situations to free slots. So, yeah, it suffers for a lot of things such as it's really really easily weaken, rely a lot on the eviolite to tank, dont like at all switching and if you lose prinpulp you lose at the same time your setter and your defoger. However, sometimes, that's something you need to end a build and in these situations Prinpulp fits. Before, Sandslash could do that but it's gone and Armaldo very sucks lol. Even if it's not an amazing mon, it has a small niche which allows to be played sometimes in several builds.

Last edited:

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
Nominations of others :

Well I dont think we have to let rank mons who are just bad and without any niches. Sand isn't viable anymore, we lose all our abusers bar Duggy-A, Abomasnow scarf stops it totally and even hippopotas is in itself a bad sand setter which struggles between eviolite and tiny sandsandstrom or smooth rock and die very quickly. A sand team is bad in itself and Duggy-A prefer getting good partners to shot down what stops it than a boost in power than it doesn't really need. Add hippopotas in a team makes only the teambuild weaker than it's without. Lets don't be too conservative about ranking bad mon and lets unrank hippo.

Well, I dont like too much the Usually Useless rank so I could maybe be agree with that but lol Silvally-Ice is really really bad. The main issue about Vally-Ice is there are lot of mons which does exactly the same job than it but just in better. If you decide to playing your Vally-Ice , you lose your vally slot to defog and than hurts already a bit. So the vally has to be very good to have a reason to play it. There are plenty mons in ZU which are set up sweepers such as Leafeon, other Vallys, Monferno, Ninjask, even Beartic in ice type, etc. Why play Silvally-Ice instead of them ? It's not only just handicapping for your team, it's also far harder to set up due to its bad defensive typing and it is as well far more easy to RK (hey rapidash). Run Ninjask, Vally-Fighting SD or Leafeon and you will have the same results but just better and without weaken too much your teambuild. I dont really mind if Vally-Ice is finally ranked in C rank but i dont see either the reason why.

Grumpig A+ -> A Agree
Yeah, that's something i think for ages and i'm agree grumpig isn't on the A+ level anymore. On the recent meta trends, czim did a good list how what is problematic for the pig, toxic spikes are everywhere and weaken it very a lot, it cannot really pass bronzor without specific sets, kecleon is almost a free switch, dark moves are everywhere (and grumpig cannot handle the colbur), i add too that almost everyvally runs u-turn nowadays. Grumpig is a mon which hates switching and be chipped and we are in a meta where we like switching a lot. Its staying power is pretty low actually and it helps mons what grumpig normally checks. Monferno SD Jolly at +2 can one shot Grumpig after SR with its Z-Move, same for Rapidash which can deal a grumpig chipped, Rotom-Frost also weaken easily with a Thunderbolt doing +/- 35% without leftovers recovery. Recyle Mago Berry isn't the same thing than a Recovery, that costs you the item and sub to be easily on the range. Of course, these things aren't new but it's far more annoying for grumpig than in the past due to how easily it's weaken. It doesnt accomplish as well its role to check a big part of the meta as it should do. You will enjoy better to have a Kecleon Recover to have the SR or an AV one to dont be as passive as grumpig is sometimes. I feel when i'm battling a grumpig than 50% of the time it does recycle, 45% substitute, a grumpig in the opposite team is sometimes just free switch land, i'm happy to see one when i play lurantis. It suffers too for a big 4mss in wanting Psychic/Psyshock/FB/CM/Recyle/Sub/Taunt/Heal Bell/Shadow Ball in a single set, an item syndrom in wanting mago berry, leftovers and colbur, even sometimes a spread syndrom to increase its staying power or its offensive presence... And ofc if you could get glutonny and thick fat on a single set it would be cool too. Grumpig stays a good mon overall but it's simply not anymore on the same level than the other A+ mons.

Shiftry B+ -> A- Agree
Well, the drop wasn't justified for me either. If I recognised the new popular Vally forms are quite annoying, dont forget how stab Koff is threaten nowadays. It gets rid easily of the common Mareanie + Bronzor core and Silvally doesn't have recovery (and has to come very often on the board to defog). It's personnally one of the most threaten mon I dont like to face at the teampreview and i know i have to play very carefully to dont lose my balanced core. It's also a mon which is very strong against all playstyles, it's quite uncommon to be noted. I tested recently the specs version of Shiftry and the pressure it exerces on the opponent's team is just insane. Bulky Vallys are proprely 2HKO, Mareanie OHKO, offensive checks are just shot down with SR damages. You can even run Defog in last fourth slot to compress the roles. I dont think Shiftry is less viable than before, I dont feel it's less good or less threaten. A- is still justified.

Ninjask C+ -> B+ Eww not that high but agree for a rise. B-/B
C+ is underanked. Czim once again presented some points to explain why (notably the lycanroc departure, etc), I will just add on this subject how much it lackes of real common counter actually. Even stuff like Mareanie is theorically one shot by Z-Dig after SD and other crucial counters can also be beaten after some chips. It's also a mon which doesn't need to set up to be useful and that's why I feel it's more easy to incorporate in a team (due to its speed notably) than stuff such as Swoobat which is also a threaten set up Sweeper but which exists only to boost its stats. It means even if it requires support, it's one of the set up sweepers the most splashable. Its cb set is useful when you just need speedcontrol. B+ is a bit too high but i'm strongly agree for a rise in B- or even in B.

No, Lumineon isn't one of the best defogger in the tier. There is absolutely no reason to use it over Silvally-Water and even in the situations where you want to use an offensive vally, Lumineon is one of the worst choice. In ZU, we have Frosttom, Togetic, Combusken, Rotom-Fan, Shiftry, Vullaby, Prinpulp, Vibrava, Lurantis, Volbeat, Murkrow, even Chatot/Oricorio on a locked set to remove stealth rocks. Its water immunity is almost useless in a tier where the water spam exists only in rain (which have a lot of answers against lumineon anyway, even golduck) and became less good than it was before, it's not the only one to get a pivot move either (hey vullaby, frosttom, rotom-fan, volbeat, vibrava, etc). Its only way to have recovery is leftovers and koff is everywhere, its bulk is very bad (69/76/86). No reason to play this mon. Keep it Unranked.

Well there is no much reason to use it over Kecleon/Bouffalant but i played it and i recognize it has a small niche in being a bulky AV able to weaken several mons than Bouffa or Kec cannot such as the cores Mareanie/Bronzor, Tangela/Muk, etc. However, it cannot stop things such as boomburst chatot (Bouffa can and it's nice) or doesnt have the speed control of Kec or the recovery to be enough effective. It's very easy to chip it and it hates switching a lot, its staying power is quite meh. It's not trash tier but it doesnt shine either. It has some problems but it's effective well played though. It brings a decent support to the team and hits hard enough to pressure the opposite squad ( its coverage is perfect btw) and destroys common cores. It's far more viable than several mons in C- (hey Lopunny and Wartotle) so i dont see any reasons to dont let be ranked somewhere there.

Replays about :
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-790001043
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-789993823
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-789996743
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-789999193

My noms (only for rise, I will do an other post for drop because well, it will be too much otherwise) :

Mareanie A -> A+
I think we can rank Mareanie at the place which deserved right now. It became the new signature of ZU. Have a balanced, a bulky stall, a semi-stall without Mareanie just looks weird and bad build, it's the meta antimeta toy which centralizes the meta in decentralizing it. It provides in any one slot a Ferno switch-in, a Combusken switch-in, a Rapidash switch in, can deal with lurantis physical no koff version, a way to deal with cursemuk, prevents subviggy to sweep, bring toxic spikes to weaken the opposite team and in the same time the poison typing to remove the opposite toxic spikes, a Kec soft switch in, the ability to switch on a big part of the more common mons (and Mareanie likes switching a lot), in threating an opposite switch with scald/koff. To be short, it deals with the middle of the meta and influences how the battle is going to happen, even if it's not on floor. Of course that's not that difficult to threaten or pressure it, its bulk is very good without being amazing (especially when it's koffed), but it doesnt remove anything about its qualities. We are at a moment where building a team without Mareanie has become an exercice. I think to rank Mareanie in A+ reflects fully the impact it has in the meta right now, far more than the rest of A mon.

The facility you have in splashing them in whatever team in defogger deserved the A rank. Even with all the flaws they have, you rarely end a core without one of them. They are both bulky defogger offensive, bulky pivot offensive, they pressure the opponent team with a strong move or just in pivoting/toxic them. They are decent checks to send against a good amount of threats. Vally-Fighting is one of the rare mon to be able to deal with both vigo version. Of course, these things aren't new but it's really appreciable to have that in a single slot especially now, to send frail attackers, to pressure easily with DM, to weaken annoying stuff with toxic. These two forms are the best and the more used vally forms (bar water). The A rank reflects better their viability and their splashability at the moment.

Lurantis B+ -> A-
I wont be against an other Lurantis rise seeing how it's good right now. Except stuff like Muk, there is not really thing which come on it. It's our best grass types with tang at the moment and its ability to force switch is quite enjoyable at the moment. Every time I face it in a battle i pray to face the defog version because it's the more manageable of all but lol that stays really difficult to switch into. If it runs Leaf storm i basically lose a mon every time I face it, the resttalk version isn't bad either because if mareanie is koffed it gets rid of it without scaring burn or poison. It can win the dual against Kec with good mindgames, against vigo if enough superpower/leaf storm, and pressure 2/3 of mons in A- to S. A- is a fine place for it.

Mawile B+ -> A-
See my precedent posts on the topic. Nothing has changed. Mawile, with the departure of torterra and the arriving of Kecleon became an amazing rocker able to check a good amount of threats. If it cleary has a lot of flaws, it's still one of our best rocker in the tier and which helps the teambuilding in various ways in giving sr, checks to threaten mons such as shiftry, kecleon, physical sweepers and in supporting the team with koff/taunt/etc. It's slightly better than it was before the shifts and i add its sheer force set is annoying to face if it runs the good coverage moves.

Rampardos B- -> B
I nominate Rampardos not much for its TR set (even if it's really good) but overall for its SR and Scarf sets which are both ridiculous to face. If before mons such as Torterra did shadow to lots of rockers, now the space is a bit more free. Rampardos became a good alternative to Golem simply thanks to its ridiculous strength and its coverage which helps it also a bit. Rampardos doesn't have any real counter and now Torterra is gone, it doesnt have to run ice beam and can just have fun to catch bronzor and tangela with a strong fire blast. Every time you send in on the board, a mon in the opposite team dies. Rampardos is also a fanstatic lead anti-lead actually if you run the Mold Breaker Sash set because it one shot Shuckle and Crustle with Head Smash which prevents the Sticky web/Spikes to be setted. Surf meme can be added to one shot offensive golem. 58 speed is not a bad speed it actually because it allows to outspeed the whole slow range of ZU mons. Scarf Rock slide is scaring to face as well even if not as good as its SR set. Rampardos is a more threaten SR setter than Golem, prevents stuff like Tangela/Bronzor to be safe switch and in pressuring a lot the opposite team with just the small support of u-turn/volt switch. Rock Slide is generally spammable without doing prediction btw.

Raticate B- -> B
Eww I tested it recently and it's a monster. Raticate hits as hard as our dear Stoutland, forever in our hearts. The number of things which is able to switch in correctly on this face is reduced to Tangela. It's however better in paper than in practise because it suffers for a big 4mss and it's in glass but the power of Guts Facade dont have to be underestimate. Sucker Punch/U-turn provides too a big support of speed control/pivoting. Now the meta is slower, I feel it's the good moment to let it climb the VR. Raticate is a threaten mon, never underestimate it.

Electrode C+ -> B-
No Manectric doesn't only mean a happy Zebstrika but also a happy Electrode. If before the only viable set of Electrode was the taunt screen set (decent set btw), it enjoys now running pivot sets like its partner Zebstrika. The advantage it gets over Zeb is obviously Soundproof which helps against chatot, its speed (outspeed Ada Beartic under hail, ada crustle at +2 and Butterfree at +1) and it hits harder than Zeb thanks to the Modest nature. Timid is also an option if you want to outspeed huntail ada/crustle jolly at +2 and scarf ferno but it's not mandatory imo. To be short, Electrode is an alternative to Zebstrika very viable and it's far more useful and splashable than the whole C tier list.

Silvally-Poison C+ -> B
I know it's a pretty big jump but it's globally deserved. Silvally-Poison is one of the five best Vally just after Fighting/Dragon/Water and Dark. It wasn't really good before because it had some flaws which still exist now such as lose the dual against almost every rocker in ZU, lose against common threats (Lycanroc + Torterra SD when there were still in ZU), etc. However, there are two things which make Silvally-Poison better. The first one is it's probably the best Vally to counter Kecleon which is a big advantage in this meta, the second one is it removes toxic spikes & be not poisonned by them. It's really important to considere this when we know how often Mareanie is in the teams and how easily a Silvally Poisonned is weaken. Silvally-Poison is probably now the Vally which has the biggest staying power in ZU and that's something which shouldn't be forgotten when you will choose which vally you will incorporate in your team. It has some big flaws (be a free switch to golem really sucks) so it needs a bit more support than the other vallys (it needs bronzor for example) but it's still one of the best.

Arbok C -> C+/B-
Arbok is a bit underanked considering how threaten this mon is. Its best set is Coil/Gunk shot/Earthquake/Z-Sucker Punch which allows to get rid of Mareanie/Bronzor quite easily after setting up. Arbok is a set up Sweeper which is difficult to getting rid even offensively because Coil + Intimidate makes it very difficult to RK. If stuff like Poli/Lycan were annoying, they are gone now. Arbok has a je-ne-sais-quoi which makes it really different and never useless in a battle. Intimidate can work to decrease the Atk stat of the opponent, its poison typing to remove toxic spikes, sucker punch to speed control. It's always a mon which I fear to face because i know i can lose if i did the wrong prediction, whatever team i play (except gabite but heee). It's a mon quite difficult to play but very threaten to face.

Vibrava C -> B-
This mon is very decent atm. I was looking for a defoger with recovery which wasn't too weak to golem, I was a bit disappointing because i find nothing and then i realize vibrava exists. And lol, this mon is a gift of god. Recovery + Resists EdgeQuake + defog + resists all Rapidash moves + u-turn. Yeah it's koff weak and very frail without the eviolite but it's simply makes the teambuilding so easy when you play it. If for whatever reason you dont want to bring a vally, take this small beautiful bug which is a dragon and your life is going to be peaceful. Very splashable with a correct support.

Prinpulp finds its place in rare archetype of teams which needs a lot of mons to work such as Shedistall, compress SR and defog in a single set isn't bad in these situations to free slots. So, yeah, it suffers for a lot of things such as it's really really easily weaken, rely a lot on the eviolite to tank, dont like at all switching and if you lose prinpulp you lose at the same time your setter and your defoger. However, sometimes, that's something you need to end a build and in these situations Prinpulp fits. Before, Sandslash could do that but it's gone and Armaldo very sucks lol. Even if it's not an amazing mon, it has a small niche which allows to be played sometimes in several builds.
I agree with the majority of these nominations, but there were a few I disagreed on, and I wanted to bring up some counterpoints.
1534218583280.png
I think a rise from C to C+ is justifiable. With the resurgence of Golem's viability brings forth a need for Pokemon that can take on the dreaded EdgeQuake combo, which only a handful of Pokemon can do such as Bronzor and the Pokemon we are discussing, Vibrava. However, I find that B- really oversells Vibrava for how incredibly passive it is. While it can Defog hazards away and pivot with U-turn, so can just about any Silvally form that isn't weak to Stealth Rock, meaning you are really using Vibrava just for the EdgeQuake resistances. And yes, while Golem has become a key threat to prepare for, Vibrava has an incredibly hard matchup against Pokemon such as Rotom-Frost, Silvally-Dragon, Abomasnow, Lurantis, Leafeon, and Bronzor. Overall, the points made about how it gets access to reliable recovery for a Defogger and the fact that it resists EdgeQuake is enough in my eyes to see it rise, but its not the easiest thing in the world to use, especially with its reliance on Eviolite.

ZU doesn't have the greatest hazard control Pokemon, I get that, but there is no need to stoop down this low. Prinplup is an utterly atrocious Defogger who's only asset is that it can also set up Stealth Rock. You know, Stealth Rock, the hazard you will be removing with your own Defog two turns from now. It's overreliance on its Eviolite for bulk, being passive af, and lack of reliable recovery all make it make inferior to Silvally-Water or another Silvally type. (Silvally doesnt have access to reliable recovery either, but momentum with U-turn or Parting Shot makes up for that). I would much rather use Wartortle any day of the week over Prinplup as it at least doesn't remove the entry hazards you yourself set up. All of this summed up with the fact that Shedinja Stall is nearly an irrelevant playstyle points all signs towards leaving Prinplup unranked.

I'm not leaning one way or the other on this. Silvally-Ice is a definite hard no from me on moving up with major metagame shifts. From my experience, Silvally-Ice only really works on Ice Spam teams, and unless I really don't want to use Abomasnow, I usually am much better off with Beartic. While I recognize that you mentioned that Silvally-Ice gets access to some cool physical moves that allow it to take on Pokemon that would normally force out, one of the examples that JdMRDS mentioned was Combusken which actually still beats S-Ice as it uses Protect to obtain a Speed Boost and then revenge kill it. Overall my biggest complaint is that it's weak to Stealth Rocks, and when you choose to run S-Ice, you forfeit the ability to run any other of the vast array of assorted Defogging Silvallys, and until Sandslash returns, (and even if it does return) our Rapid Spinners just flat out suck. I think Silvally-Ice should only be ranked for its ability to overload the opponent with Ice Spam and break down the opposing Ice resists. I don't think Union Caboche was wrong necessarily on this mon, just that he was too lukewarm for a Silvally form that melts and evaporates fast in the current metagame.
(I'm not funny :blobsad:)

Personal Nomination:

Oricorio Pom-Pom from B- to B
Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Leftovers
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Taunt

Not only has Oricorio Pom-Pom been the ZU Summer Seasonal Mascot, but it has become one of the best Calm Mind users of the tier. While previously Oricorio Pom-Pom was just using an EV spread consisting of Max Special Attack and Max Speed, within the last several months the PU community discovered a bulkier spread for Oricorio-Sensu, and this set is greatly inspired by that. The new EV spread still allows Oricorio Pom-Pom to outspeed key threats such as Adamant Monferno and Timid Butterfree while maximizing its physical bulk as much as possible, surviving crazy things you wouldn't believe such as a +4 Sucker Punch from Pawniard or an Inferno Overdrive from Rapidash. This set also combines the stallbreaking prowess of Taunt with the setup sweeping potential of Calm Mind. Ultimately this third set in my mind pushes Oricorio Pom-Pom's unpredictability and viability over the edge of B-, undoubtedly standing firm as one of the strongest Pokemon in that rank bar Pokemon such as Raticate that are also be nommed to an above rank. So "bring it on: all or nothing."

BloodAce

Untier Connoisseur
is a Tiering Contributor

Monferno A+ -> A

This is defintely going to be a controversial nomination but one that I feel needs to be made. Mareanie has quickly become a defensive staple in the ZU Metagame, giving most teams an extremely reliable Monfermo check that can switch-in several times during a match thanks to Regenerator. Iron Fist boosted Mach Punch, while still good to pick-off threats like Chatot, is not quite as useful as it was in the previous meta, where it was important to revenge kill threats such as Lycanroc and Liepard (the two threats cited in Monferno's previous two rises from A- to A and from A to A+ respectively).

Edit: It has ways of getting around Mareanie but those require you to give up STAB options, priority, or pivoting, as well as Knock-Off suport.

Last edited:
Okay so I'm going to be responding to some of these, because I was told by room auth I should make my voice heard on noms/nom posts.

Nominations of others :
I understand the reasoning for Hippo dropping so far down this patch (no viable sand abusers besides Duggy-A), but Sandslash will likely be ZU again soon (with Gigalith having skyrocketed its NU usage before being banned), so I think it's ridiculous to unrank this 'mon entirely. I know it's not good to base viability rank off of future changes, but beyond that, we have Duggy-A.

Nominations of others :
I think this thing is comparable to Glaceon to be honest. I'd even argue it's better. Both are relatively bulky Ice-type sweepers who lack high damage moves and respectable coverage to sweep (though Silvally-Ice can tech its vast special movepool for would-be checks like Mareanie). I know many people don't think Silvally-Ice is a valid sweeper/Silvally form, but I think JdRDMS's posts are very enlightening (the replays especially). I totally stan a C (not - or +) Silvally-Ice.

Nominations of others :
Grumpig A+ -> A Agree
Agreed, though it should be noted that Silvally-Dark's (Silvally-Dark and Mareanie, anyone?) continued rise definitely has a (large) impact on Grumpig. In addition, Kecleon is everywhere. IMO, this thing could even drop to A-, but it should definitely stay in that area (as it's one of the best Rotom-Frost checks still).

Nominations of others :
Without giving my opinion on Lumineon, I just wanted to address this because of the amount of hyperbole in this section. Lumineon is not the best defogger. No one ever claimed it was even great. The highest people wanted it was Usually Useless. I think the cons you mentioned totally effect Lumineon, but you also neglect the pros of using Lumineon. With the Silvally slot on teams being used for offense more frequently (who heard of Silvally-Ice being used whenever Lycanroc was around?), Lumineon definitely has use. I feel as though Lumineon is in the same boat as Prinplup, though both coming up short when compared to WaterVally.
Some talking points I didn't elaborate on for the sake of being brief: whose ability is more useful, Prinplup's or Lumineon's? Who has better base stats when their item is actually knocked off?

Nominations of others :
Mareanie A -> A+
I don't think much needs to be said, I'm just glad people finally caught on. Remember, Mareanie was once C+.

Nominations of others :
Electrode C+ -> B-
Electrode is not as splashable as you claim, it is basically limited to offense, and the truth is it's a flop even on offense. Zebstrika outclasses it as a special attacker, and as a suicide screen lead, it doesn't even seem that great, because that's not an outstanding niche in the first place whenever Defog will come in and ruin your life. All in all, I think Electrode is being overhyped and it's honestly suited to its current rank.

Nominations of others :
Vibrava C -> B-
Okay, so I don't mind the logic behind this, but this is just ridiculous. This post neglects that some of the most popular 'mons, Rotom-Frost and Obamasnow, are Ice-types. It also neglects that many Silvallys take Ice Beam, further pressuring this 'mon. I can support/see this definitely going B-, but those things absolutely have to be noted. Vibrava is absolutely not #freewins, it is a Pokemon who happens to be reasonably well in this meta.

Nominations of others :
This thing is perfect where it is. Remember to answer my questions above regarding Lumineon^. (Also why would you run Prinplup over Mareanie on stall? Prinplup does not fit on stall at all.)

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon
I'm going to go ahead and give my opinions on the oh so many nominations that have been brought to ZU's attention.
First and Foremost I would like to formally agree with this nomination for a multitude of reasons. I've had first hand experience playing against this very niche Pokemon and I have to say the niche that it does fill it fills it great. Oranguru's fantastic typing means that its only 2 weaknesses are Bug and Dark-type. Furthermore Oranguru makes for a fantastic AV user with a very solid base Special Defense stat of 110 it is very hard to break this when forgoing the Specially Defensive route. Also being that Hail and Electric Spam is becoming quite popular right now in the meta, AV Oranguru may end up seeing even more usage.

I'm gonna go ahead and Argue that this mon should be ranked at C and not C-

Arbok C -> C+/B-
I'm going to go ahead and agree with this one as well but I'm leaning more towards C+ than B-. The reason for this like Caboche said "its never useless in a battle." Furthermore Arbok fills a niche where it is able to threaten top tier Pokemon such as the aforementioned legendary Bronzor Mareanie core which just happens to be one of the metas best cores currently. This is enough to justify the rise to C+ in my opinion.

One set I'd like to see experimented with is this Arbok set from DPP utilizing Glare and 3 attacks. I really want to try Arbok as a Support Pokemon rather then a set up one but thats just what I want to try lol
https://www.smogon.com/dex/dp/pokemon/arbok/

Shiftry B+ -> A- Agree
Shiftry was by far one of my favorite Pokemon to use in PU Beta and I have to say I've been using it recently and I've really begun to like it. It hits like a truck, It's typing is able to scare Top tier mons such as Bronzor, Mareanie, and Mr. Mime and last but not least its wall breaking capabilities combined with the number of possible sets it can run are simply great. Shiftry is one of those Pokemon this is slept on I feel and this needs to change because of how good it is at using its multitude of sets. Scary is a great word for Shiftry because if you are running balance which I know you are because everyone runs that now days you need to scout the set in order to go into the correct wall that corresponds with what Shiftry lacks. I agree with this nomination

Last edited:

Tuthur

Haha CEO
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm also going to give my opinion on the nominations.
UU -> UR Agree
Everything has already been stated in previous posts. There is no reason to use it, so no reason to keep it ranked.
A+ -> A/A- Agree
This Pokémon is in bad spot atm. A- is imo the most accurate rank atm since almost everything is against it (popularity of Silvally-Dark, Kecleon, Bronzor+Mareanie). But I also wanted to say that because of the raising of Bronzor and Probopass leaving the tier, Psychic-type have adapted to this and now run more offen coverage that touches Psychic-type like Grumpig such as Shadow Ball Mr Mime and Signal Beam Kadabra and Beheeyem.
B+ -> A-
Agree
A very anti-meta Pokémon. Knock Off is one of the hardest move to switch-into in the tier since most of our defensive Pokémon hates to lose their item and ZU doesn't have many Fighting/Dark/Fairy-type. There are also not a lot of Pokémon in the tier able to take a +2 Sucker Punch and most of them don't want to switch into an AoA carrying Hurricane.
4 SpA Life Orb Shiftry Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 255-302 (76.3 - 90.4%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
4 SpA Life Orb Shiftry Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Silvally-Fighting: 198-234 (59.8 - 70.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
4 SpA Life Orb Shiftry Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Silvally-Fighting: 195-231 (49.6 - 58.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
4 SpA Life Orb Shiftry Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Hakamo-o: 169-200 (67.3 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
4 SpA Life Orb Shiftry Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Shiinotic: 190-224 (58.6 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Life Orb Shiftry Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Machoke: 190-226 (52.3 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

C+ -> B/B+ Agree
I've been using this set for a while and it works very well. Aerial Ace can be run over Substitute to break easier through Fighting-type such as Sivally-Fighting and Combusken. Ninjask is one of the best cleaner in the tier thanks to Speed Boost and its excellent speed tier which allows it to outspeed every Scarfer up to Mr Mime and every Scarfer at +1. That's makes Ninjask only susceptible to strong priority however it can live every priority bar Abomasnow's Ice Shard and Shiftry's Sucker Punch. Substitute helps it in that way since it allows Ninjask to avoid play arround Sucker Punch.
(Ice) UU->C Disagree
It's very hard to justify to use it on your team. As an offensive Ice-type it is outclassed by Rotom-Frost, Regice, Beartic and Abomasnow. I understand that it has a niche over them but this doesn't make it warrant a higher rank.
UU->C Agree
This Pokémon is way better that what I thought, it can check most special attacker while also carrying Knock Off. It's hard to justify using it over Kecleon or Bouffalant but its typing make it better against some threats such as Mr Mime and WoW Pokémon.
A-> A+ Agree
It's the only good check to Fire-type in the tier which are otherwise really hard to check. Toxic Spikes are very good atm and it can stop a lot of threatening set-up sweeper such as Vigoroth, Simipour and Muk.
A+->A Disagree
Yeah it can't break through Mareanie but every team lacking Mareanie will struggle against this Pokémon. Imo this fact is a reasoning for Mareanie to rise not Monferno to drop.

Some nomination I agree with but won't comment:
Lurantis B+ -> A-
Rampardos B- -> B
Arbok C -> C+/B-
Vibrava C -> B-

Also I want to nominate a Pokémon I haven't seen a lot but which is pretty effective is the current meta:

From UR to C/C+
Shiinotic is the only Dark resists that doesn't mind lose its item (unlike Mawile, Togetic, Machoke, ...) and has a way of recovery (unlike Silvally-Fighting and Dark). It is also the best partner to complete the Bronzor/Mareanie core since it beats most Pokémon that usually beats the core such as SD Shiftry, SD Pinsir, Kecleon, Lurantis and Electivire. I don't believe it should raise higher because it struggles with a lot of other breakers that beats the core such as Rampardos and Arbok, while also being outclassed in a lot of team by Tangela and Gourgeist. Strenght Sap can also be played arround by switching into Pokémon with a low Atk such as Bronzor or Mr. Mime, Sap Sipper Bouffalant (though it's not as common as Soundproof) and Natu. It has also no way to touch poison-type such as Muk.
Some replaies showing how it performs with the Bronzor/Mareanie core:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-790135023
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-790171083
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-790508655
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-790508764

Last edited:

Oldamar999

Tien Time
I'm also going to give my opinion on the nominations.
UU -> UR Agree
Everything has already been stated in previous posts. There is no reason to use it, so no reason to keep it ranked.
A+ -> A/A- Agree
This Pokémon is in bad spot atm. A- is imo the most accurate rank atm since almost everything is against it (popularity of Silvally-Dark, Kecleon, Bronzor+Mareanie). But I also wanted to say that because of the raising of Bronzor and Probopass leaving the tier, Psychic-type have adapted to this and now run more offen coverage that touches Psychic-type like Grumpig such as Shadow Ball Mr Mime and Signal Beam Kadabra and Beheeyem.
B+ -> A-
Agree
A very anti-meta Pokémon. Knock Off is one of the hardest move to switch-into in the tier since most of our defensive Pokémon hates to lose their item and ZU doesn't have many Fighting/Dark/Fairy-type. There are also not a lot of Pokémon in the tier able to take a +2 Sucker Punch and most of them don't want to switch into an AoA carrying Hurricane.
4 SpA Life Orb Shiftry Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 255-302 (76.3 - 90.4%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
4 SpA Life Orb Shiftry Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Silvally-Fighting: 198-234 (59.8 - 70.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
4 SpA Life Orb Shiftry Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Silvally-Fighting: 195-231 (49.6 - 58.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
4 SpA Life Orb Shiftry Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Hakamo-o: 169-200 (67.3 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
4 SpA Life Orb Shiftry Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Shiinotic: 190-224 (58.6 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Life Orb Shiftry Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Machoke: 190-226 (52.3 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

C+ -> B/B+ Agree
I've been using this set for a while and it works very well. Aerial Ace can be run over Substitute to break easier through Fighting-type such as Sivally-Fighting and Combusken. Ninjask is one of the best cleaner in the tier thanks to Speed Boost and its excellent speed tier which allows it to outspeed every Scarfer up to Mr Mime and every Scarfer at +1. That's makes Ninjask only susceptible to strong priority however it can live every priority bar Abomasnow's Ice Shard and Shiftry's Sucker Punch. Substitute helps it in that way since it allows Ninjask to avoid play arround Sucker Punch.
(Ice) UU->C Disagree
It's very hard to justify to use it on your team. As an offensive Ice-type it is outclassed by Rotom-Frost, Regice, Beartic and Abomasnow. I understand that it has a niche over them but this doesn't make it warrant a higher rank.
UR->C Agree
This Pokémon is way better that what I thought, it can check most special attacker while also carrying Knock Off. It's hard to justify using it over Kecleon or Bouffalant but its typing make it better against some threats such as Mr Mime and WoW Pokémon.
A-> A+ Agree
It's the only good check to Fire-type in the tier which are otherwise really hard to check. Toxic Spikes are very good atm and it can stop a lot of threatening set-up sweeper such as Vigoroth, Simipour and Muk.
A+->A Disagree
Yeah it can't break through Mareanie but every team lacking Mareanie will struggle against this Pokémon. Imo this fact is a reasoning for Mareanie to rise not Monferno to drop.

Some nomination I agree with but won't comment:
Lurantis B+ -> A-
Rampardos B- -> B
Arbok C -> C+/B-
Vibrava C -> B-

Also I want to nominate a Pokémon I haven't seen a lot but which is pretty effective is the current meta:

From UR to C/C+
Shiinotic is the only Dark resists that doesn't mind lose its item (unlike Mawile, Togetic, Machoke, ...) and has a way of recovery (unlike Silvally-Fighting and Dark). It is also the best partner to complete the Bronzor/Mareanie core since it beats most Pokémon that usually beats the core such as SD Shiftry, SD Pinsir, Kecleon, Lurantis and Electivire. I don't believe it should raise higher because it struggles with a lot of other breakers that beats the core such as Rampardos and Arbok, while also being outclassed in a lot of team by Tangela and Gourgeist. Strenght Sap can also be played arround by switching into Pokémon with a low Atk such as Bronzor or Mr. Mime, Sap Sipper Bouffalant (though it's not as common as Soundproof) and Natu. It has also no way to touch poison-type such as Muk.
Some replaies showing how it performs with the Bronzor/Mareanie core:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-790135023
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-790171083
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-790508655
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7zu-790508764
just gonna be that person here, oranguru is Usually Useless, not UR. sorry

Edit: k, you fixed it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)