Project ZU Player of the Week - Corthius

Jett

gn gobodachis
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
ZU_Player_Of_The_Week.png

Approved by 5gen & S1nn0hC0nfirm3d | Amazing Art by Albatr0ss
(Interview Date: 7th of July 2021)
hattrem.png

Hey frens and welcome back to another ZU Player of the Week. This is the project where we learn about some of ZU's finest community members in the form of interviews. I am grateful that I will have the chance to interview so many amazing ZU players and I hope that you enjoy these as much as I do. For this week, our special guest is another player we nabbed from NU and is also our newest (I'm only like a week or so late) Driver...

guzzlord.gif

Corthius!!
Favourite Pokemon: :guzzlord: > :spiritomb:
(ZU Driver, NU moderator, Has nice badges)

ditto.png

Ditto used Transform!
Ditto transformed into Guzzlord!

guzzlord.png

*AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!* (Honestly just search up it's cry)

hattrem.png

oo first ultra beast
Hey there Corthius, how're you feeling today?

guzzlord.png

Hallo Jett, schön hier zu sein!
(Pleasure to be here)
My day was fine until I missed my tram.
Hbu?

hattrem.png

Ah I see rip. Mir geht es gut. I hope this is correct, I don't remember much of the german I learnt in school
(I am fine?)

guzzlord.png

Dw, it is right!

hattrem.png

How did you first discover PS/Smogon and how did you end up getting into the ZU community?

guzzlord.png

Mhm interesting question. I started getting interested in competitive pokemon around mid gen7 and I looked up movesets for certain pokemon and they used PS! to showcase them. Gen8 NU was the first metgame I saw every stage of, from alpha up to this day and because of that I see the similarity between ZU and early Gen8 NU so I thought I give it a try.
And I stayed because it is a fun tier with a great community!

hattrem.png

Excellent to hear
It's very interesting to see that we have several prominent NUers (DaniYSB, Kay, Ho3n etc.) also playing ZU nowadays. Was that partly a reason why you decided to join/stay?

guzzlord.png

Yes for sure. It is always easier to get into a tier if you already have friends who enjoy it and can help you.

hattrem.png

mhm, makes a lot of sense. Now focusing on the metagame itself, it's basically been a week with the July rises and drops now (time flies). Which Pokemon were you saddest to see go and now that you've probably had some time to test out a few things, what are your current thoughts on Arctovish and Sandslash Alola?

guzzlord.png

I will for sure miss Garbodor the most. I know that my main tier is responsible for this loss but it always was my go-to defensive Poison type.
As for the new mons, I only had the chance to use Sandslash-Alola but from what I have seen it will for sure find its place in the metagame. Hazard control is always appreciated and gaining a spiker while losing one at least somewhat balances things out. Im highly excited to try out Arctovish ASAP tho, it gives me mad early gen vibes.

hattrem.png

Good takes, aside from the direct changes to the metagame, there have also been a lot of discussions about certain Pokemon that should be suspect test or even quickbanned, namely Centiskorch and Silvally-Ground, with Alcremie also receiving a few mentions here and there. Do you have any opinions regarding these Pokemon?

guzzlord.png

I don't see Centiskorch as threatening to be honest. There are more than enough checks/counters that keep it at bay. Silvally-Ground on the other hand for sure deserves a suspect test in my opinion. I've used a wide variety of sets including lure sets for Tangela etc. I am not 100% sure if it will get banned but I would like to see the outcome.
I probably don't have a very objective opinion about Alcremie because my teams all seem to have the tendency to lose to it. So I wouldn't suspect testing it.

hattrem.png

Ah great, thanks for sharing. These Pokemon definitely do have the community split to some extent so it'll be interesting to see what actions the council intends to take in the near future.
Are there any sets that you've been enjoying lately?

guzzlord.png

Yes. I am a huge fan of the aforementioned mixed Silvally-Ground, but I also enjoy Choice Specs Thievul and mixed Shiftry at the moment.

hattrem.png

Very nice, all very cool sets
Let's focus a bit more on you if you don't mind! Where does your nickname come from?

guzzlord.png

Oh that is a good question. I wanted a gamertag that is easy to remember (for potential streaming) and it HAD to start with C. So I went to some name generators and hit the 'create username' button a bunch of times and ended up combining two of them. Nothing really fancy tho.

hattrem.png

That's still pretty interesting
And could you tell us a little bit about yourself outside of mons?

guzzlord.png

No, everything is top secret! Just kidding, I am a 20 years old german boy who works as a chemical laboratory assistent. As you can guess I love science mostly organic chemistry. Outside of that im a huge metal head that plays a lot of video games.
Oh and I love Stephen King books

hattrem.png

Do you have any particular heavy metal bands/songs that you like a lot? Maybe recommend some of them to our viewers :D

guzzlord.png

Haha of course! I love giving and getting music advices (even outside of metal).
My recommendations would be Motionless in White, Alpha Wolf, [Amatory], Emmure & Eskimo Callboy

hattrem.png

Also, do feel free to also mention other music you enjoy then :>

guzzlord.png

Oh okay, I do like Dame (a German rapper), and classics like Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen & Die Ärzte
well the last one is more of a well known band in Germany :)

hattrem.png

thanks for sharing
You also mentioned that you enjoyed playing other video games, which ones?

guzzlord.png

I really enjoy tactical shooter like Rainbow 6 Siege and Valorant but I can also enjoy games like Sekiro: Shadows die twice and classics like Minecraft.

hattrem.png

Quite a lot of variety there, love tactical shooters myself which you could probably guess based off my name, though it's been a while since I've played one
Which characters do you main in R6 and Valorant?

guzzlord.png

I like boom so I main Thermite for attackers and Oryx for defenders in R6 and as you probably can guess I main Raze in Valorant.

hattrem.png

Ah that's pretty cool, although I'll forever despise playing against Raze when she was first released

guzzlord.png

Haha I can understand that!

hattrem.png

What's your favourite food and drink?
Maybe your least favourite as well

guzzlord.png

Oh that is a tough question and something I forgot to tell about me. I love food. It is easier to name what I don't like. The only thing I can't stand is Brussels sprouts.

hattrem.png

ah I see lmao, not a fan of them either
Do you also cook a lot then? If so is there anything interesting you can make?

guzzlord.png

Im a big fan of cooking but Im not really good at it. I am mostly the sidekick to my girl when we are making food. But there isn't anything I can make that is really special LOL.

hattrem.png

ah lmao no worries then, it's good you're having fun tho
Wackier question now, in an alternate timeline let's say you are secret agent, the ZU TLs are corrupt and need to be overthrown (they are not actually, this is a totally theoretical situation). You are allowed to take two other ZU members to help you on your mission, who do you choose and why?

guzzlord.png

I would def pick Toto for his luck so nothing would ever go in their way and dani because he would just simple be a brickwall like the stall he builds. The unbeatable trio.

hattrem.png

amazing answer
Coming towards the end of this interview now, could you perhaps share a ZU team that you are especially proud of?

guzzlord.png

:skuntank: :silvally-ground:(ground) :altaria: :ferroseed: :miltank: :rotom:
I made this when Tangela was on every team I faced and I liked the concept of Silvally-Ground luring Tangela with U-turn and getting in a breaker. In this case I used Skuntank because I faced a lot of stall on the ladder and I was tried of it. Nothing too special and my teams tend to lose to that one threat which is always Alcremie LOL.

hattrem.png

Very cool team! Would you like to shout out anyone or give some final remarks?

guzzlord.png

S/o goes out to kay, daniYSB & S1nn0hC0nfirm3d for being cool beans and s/o to Jett for making these interviews! Danke, dass ich hier sein durfte! (Thanks for having me!) And keep up the good work :)

hattrem.png

Thank you for taking some time to answer these questions and your kind remarks

Feel free to ask to Corthius any questions you want!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)