Project ZU Player of the Week - czim

Jett

gn gobodachis
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
ZU_Player_Of_The_Week.png

Approved by 5gen & S1nn0hC0nfirm3d | Amazing Art by Albatr0ss
(Interview Date: 1st of July 2021)

hattrem.png

Hey frens and welcome back to another ZU Player of the Week. This is the project where we learn about some of ZU's finest community members in the form of interviews. I am grateful that I will have the chance to interview so many amazing ZU players and I hope that you enjoy these as much as I do. This time around, we're rounding off the moderator trio with the emperor himself...

farfetch'd.gif
articuno.gif
scyther gif.gif

cubone.gif
heracross.gif

(RIP Porygon2 which has not appeared in an episode of the anime yet)
czim!!
czim's top 6: :farfetchd: :articuno: :scyther: :cubone: :heracross: :porygon2:
(ZU Moderator, ZU Council Member, Old Gen of the Week Host, Emperor Palpitoad, Pancham Enthusiast)
ditto.png

Ditto used Transform!
Ditto transformed into Palpitoad!

palpitoad.png

*rrrrrrrrrrrr*

hattrem.png

Hello czim, how are you doing on this fine day?

palpitoad.png

I am with a bit of a headache today but overall im fine, its been a very cold week here! And you?

hattrem.png

I'm doing well myself, thanks for asking, British weather is actually not terrible for once. I hope you feel better soon though.
As per usual, can you tell us a bit about yourself outside of Smogon?

palpitoad.png

I am an old man from and currently living on São Paulo, Brazil. I graduated on chemical engineering on college but I switched areas and I am currently working on a health company in the processes area. Other than that there isnt really much to tell, I like travelling a lot but the pandemic (especially here) has been terrible for it. I also like cooking, watching movies and playing videogames.

hattrem.png

Thanks, a very cool introduction, and yes hopefully the pandemic ends soon so that we can all go travelling again
Where was your favourite place you've travelled to?

palpitoad.png

I havent been around to a lot of places abroad. I've been to Argentina twice and the US a couple times in Florida and New York and even lived in Florida for a couple months in 2014 when i worked for Disneyworld. It was a blast so that'd be probably my favorite place. For domestic stuff I love a little city in the mountains called Monte Verde which is great in the winter with excellent food. Its a 3h drive from here and i used to go there at least once a couple years with the gf before covid

hattrem.png

Wow that sounds amazing, I've never been to South America myself, but would certainly love to visit parts of it one day, especially since you said one of the places has amazing food.

palpitoad.png

They all have amazing food lol
No joke, brazils food is easily the best in the world and our neighbors arent too far behind
Argentina knows how to cook meat, thats all i have to say

hattrem.png

ooo sounds tasty

palpitoad.png

I am a bit of a food buff so i love trying new stuff and the food here is unmatched
US food is shit tho
I do like some of their stuff like cheesecakes and those chicken wings that slowly kill you
Each bite is 1h less of life

hattrem.png

haha, rip americans
What are some of your favourite foods then? and since you mentioned you enjoy cooking do you have some favourite meals that you are willing to share?

palpitoad.png

Thats a hard question tbh, I dont rly have a favorite food. I think food is good for the climate, so when its hot i love japanese food and fruit salad, when its cold a good fondue or a nice brazilian rice and beans.
I do like to make drinks the most, especially caipirinha versions with different fruits than limes. For meals i dont really have a favorite as well, though ive been loving a tomato soup recipe in this cold weather

hattrem.png

ah fair enough, all of these sound great tho :)

palpitoad.png

Picking foods is hard :(

hattrem.png

very understandable, food in general is just very tasty loool
let's shift our attention to mons for now, how did you first get into PS/Smogon?

palpitoad.png

Honestly its so long ago i dont even remember how i found ps. I remember joining in late BW and mostly memeing on random/OU until I met some side server goons that invited me to join a league on the infamous frost side server. I thought it was pretty fun and became a monotype main for years, even becoming a mono mod, before i finally took my first break. Then i came back and joined LC and finally ZU and started getting a lot more active on smogon around 2017/2018 iirc

hattrem.png

Wow that is a long time ago.

palpitoad.png

I told you im an old man

hattrem.png

Even for ZU standards you've been around for a while; what's one thing that you're nostalgic about when looking back at when you were first getting started in the ZU community?

palpitoad.png

I kinda miss those early stages of ZU with a lot of development going on and more people around. I know thats not really a ZU only thing but with gen8 a lot of people went off ps. Also I absolutely loved how bad our mons were back then, no joke, Grumpig was like A rank
Gen8 did cut a lot of my favorite shitmons

hattrem.png

mhm, it is a shame that gen8 did these things, hopefully the remakes are compatible with sword and shield so that you can use your favourite shitmons again

palpitoad.png

At least they left baltoy and pancham
The 2 sm czim trademarks

hattrem.png

ah yes i found that baltoy post of yours from many years ago when doing some research

palpitoad.png

"Research"

hattrem.png

yes :D
anyways it very much makes sense why you have an attachment to so many "unviable" Pokemon :P

palpitoad.png

Ye i always liked metagames where i could use those
Thats the similarity between mono/lc/zu that i think at least
And nfe obviously
Bc im a nfe legend

hattrem.png

yup would have to agree that you are the undisputed nfe legend still after several years
I honestly don't remember how that even started any more

palpitoad.png

Pretty sure i won a game once
And never stopped winning after that
Except when i lost

hattrem.png

that makes sense to me :D
As someone who plays a lot of zu old gens, which is your favourite of the bunch and why?

palpitoad.png

Thats like asking me to choose between my kids
I dont have kids but still

hattrem.png

every parent secretly has a favourite

palpitoad.png

It has to be SM, its the one where most zuers started on and when the tier started being taken seriously. I think its the most fun metagame on smogon history tbh, with great variation and just the right amount of shitmons
ADV and GSC also get an honorable mention here but I'm not gonna go super deep on those two

hattrem.png

ah wonderful, quite a few ZU players also regard SM to be one of the metagames ever

palpitoad.png

U can literally use furfrou with top hat
Should be everyones favorite metagame

hattrem.png

lmao
what would you say to those who are potentially looking to get into some ZU old gens, especially with this year's ZUPL likely happening in the next month or so?

palpitoad.png

Well, please do because our player pool sucks
Jokes aside though, theres not really much to say outside of "give it a try". I think our old gens are wildly different metagames ranging from GSC and ORAS being super fat to DPP and BW being a sack fest. There's truly a zu old gen for everyone

hattrem.png

wonderful, that's very good to hear that they are all diverse

palpitoad.png

Did u ever think youd use smoochum competitively?

hattrem.png

no...
unless you're playing some old gen lc

palpitoad.png

See, zu old gens are special
That 85 spa tho

hattrem.png

that's actually not bad

palpitoad.png

Paired with 15 def

hattrem.png

interesting stat spread huh
current gen ZU saw some big shifts today, which of the Pokemon are you most upset about losing and which of the two new ZU mons are you most looking forward to using?

palpitoad.png

Garbodor leaving is huge but im kinda looking forward to how the meta will shape without it. The one im most upset about is Silvally Ghost, i loved using it as a sneaky wincon that preyed on fat normals. Considering Arctovish is likely not staying long I'm looking forward to using it and see how it goes

hattrem.png

ye that's fair assessment of the shifts
What Pokemon do you expect to be the winners with these shifts

palpitoad.png

Monke seems like a big winner here, Garbodor was the most splashable answer to it. Other physical breakers like Sawk and Centiskorch also seem to love this shift, especially with the 2 new ice types to prey on

hattrem.png

Ye that's pretty interesting given the fact that you and the other council members are currently voting on Grassy Seed
Centiskorch has also been talked about a lot, as a Pokemon which can never quite justify itself as something which deserves testing although these shifts may change things, we'll have to see

palpitoad.png

I think we might have to ban a couple things without garbodor around
Another mon that i wanna see more of is Roselia, with Garbodor leaving , the role of "Spiker that annoys Tangela" is vacant so it might be viable

hattrem.png

Ah yes ZU becomes NFE wars
jokes aside that could definitely be a very interesting mon that rises up

palpitoad.png

Hattrem might be better too
In case more passive hazard setters become common

hattrem.png

I would love Hattrem to be better hehe
And how do you think the shifts affect Palpitoad?

palpitoad.png

It stays with the same viability that it had before
Thats all im gonna say

hattrem.png

loool

palpitoad.png

I mean, just get good and switch palp into fishious rend and then double on to something to eat the freeze dry
People shouldnt expect palp to do everything

hattrem.png

I think I'll stick to Jellicent :)

palpitoad.png

hattrem.png

This is a cursed emote

palpitoad.png

Lmao
Its a top tier emote

hattrem.png

is better

palpitoad.png

This interview is over

=====(Intermission)=====

hattrem.png

I meant to say
is better

palpitoad.png

Better

hattrem.png

You mentioned you also played other video games outside of Pokemon in your free time, which ones do you currently play and what are some of the games you've enjoyed the most?
Also, do you have a favourite Pokemon game (main series or spinoff) and why?

palpitoad.png

Im one of those patient gamers tbh, so i usually try to play the freebies i get on ps plus. Currently i played stuff like subnautica, hollow knight, enter the gungeon, ff7 remake, control and now im playing horizon zero dawn. I absolutely loved hollow knight and subnautica and those 2 are easily on my top 10 of all time alongside stuff like roller coaster tycoon 2 , kingdom hearts, god of war, red dead redemption and so on... Other than that there are 2 games i play frequently outside of Pokemon, Rocket League and Fall Guys, one very tryhard and the other one very chill lol
I love the adv era but i like anything from the first 4 gens. Other than that i really love emerald, i think its the best pokemon game ever. HGSS also was really fun

hattrem.png

emerald is an amazing game and so is hgss.
many of the other games you've mentioned there are also amazing
especially hollow knight
very much looking forward to the sequel

palpitoad.png

Yep its been a while

hattrem.png

What are some of your favourite movies of all the time?

palpitoad.png

Im a sucker for animation, scifi and horror. Some of my favorites include Wall-E, Bambi, Fight Club, V for Vendetta, City of God, Se7en, Arrival, les diaboliques, cabin in the woods, Klaus, Upgrade, Whiplash, nightmare before christmas and American Beauty
Ik its not cool to like kevin spacey anymore but hell, american beauty and se7en are excellent movies

hattrem.png

very nice, a lot of good stuff here
what are some of your favourite music genres / songs?

palpitoad.png

I like a bit of everything tbh, but i like a lot of pop rock/pop punk that i always come back to because it feels very nostalgic
Stuff like oasis, fall out boy, killers, paramore, new found glory, blink182, panic at the disco, my chemical romance.. will always be nice to listen to

hattrem.png

ah throwback stuff, very cool

palpitoad.png

I also like a lot of brazilian stuff like skank, novos baianos, chico science e nação zumbi, os mutantes, cpm22 and so on. I dont rly expect u to know anything here but still lol
Brazilian music is very rich

hattrem.png

lmao never heard any before but I'll be sure to listen to some post-interview

palpitoad.png

If you like ill give u some recs

hattrem.png

sure

palpitoad.png

Novos baianos - acabou chorare (the best album in br music ever, good place to start in)
Its rock, pop, mpb, bossa, samba
Everythings there

hattrem.png

sounds very fun
Onto my favourite question of the interview, you and the other zu staff members are in a food fight, you're allowed to have one ally, who would you choose to have a truce with? Additionally would there be anyone you would deliberately target?

palpitoad.png

Id have a truce with apa, so i could have an infinite supply of onions and cabbages

hattrem.png

onions aren't very effective vs ho3n though, be careful!!

palpitoad.png

No u stole my joke :(

hattrem.png

whoops mb

palpitoad.png

Nah im jk lol
Id target tuthur bc hes french and hed be throwing baguettes at everyone

hattrem.png

ah yes baguettes are deadly weapons

palpitoad.png

Better safe than sorry

hattrem.png

starting this wrap this interview up now, would you mind sharing your favourite team from any ZU generation?

palpitoad.png

:pincurchin: :manectric: :lilligant: :crustle: :swoobat: :drifblim:
So this team is pretty much a collection of unviable mons that somewhat works
Tspikes+memento pinc is rly nice and helps the wincons setup and most notably helps drifblim stall normal types that it cant touch
Manectric is the rising voltage mon of choice
Lilligant provides the team with a much needed ground check and nature power tbolt is rly cool. Swoobat does swoobat things
Finally, crustle provides hazards and acts as the "dont lose to frosmoth" mon, thats why its boots sturdy
Otherwise the team gets mothed
Thats pretty much it

hattrem.png

this team looks really cool and unique
will be a blast to try out, thanks a lot

palpitoad.png

Ye its inconsistent but its elec terrain
Its just a shaky archetype but i hope it gets better now

hattrem.png

Definitely very underexplored
so I expect it to only get better
but I guess it also depends on the result of the Grassy Seed vote

palpitoad.png

Not as good as the palp team sadly
(Context: Palp team with Garb was sent at first)

hattrem.png

Unfortunate

palpitoad.png

Ye we might get to a point where thwackey becomes an anti terrain tech
If we ban seed
How the turntables

hattrem.png

That would honestly be pretty cool, similar to how Vanilluxe was a Rain answer

palpitoad.png

Mhm

hattrem.png

Lastly, is there anything else you'd like to say or any fellow palpitoad lovers (this part is not actually exclusive to them) you'd like to shout out?

palpitoad.png

I have too many fans to shout out any in particular, so ill just shout out the entire zu community that makes this tier what it is, the most fun place on smogon/ps. Also i wanna give Temporal Totodile a shoutout for the shortest ps break ever
Also ty for hosting this, was rly fun lol

hattrem.png

no problem, thank you for taking some time to partake in this interview

Feel free to ask to czim any questions you want!

1° You are a man of taste : Hollow Knight/Emerald is 2 of my favorite game.
2°Are you hype for Hollow Knight 2Silksong?
3°How many console do you have ? And what are they?
1) Yep, I am
2) i am looking forward to it, but i can wait until i can get it on a sale or something
3) Only a ps4 and an old pc these days, but i had ps3/ps2/n64 and the old game boys back then. Most of my gaming these days is ps4 though

1. Thoughts on Trick Room right now?
2. Why is Palpitoad your favorite Pokemon?
3. Any favorite sports?
1) Trick room has always been an off meta archetype and Arctovish seems fun for it. I dont see how it would push the archetype to the spotlight though
2) It isnt lol. The palpitoad joke started because i pushed for it to be ranked when it had some viability by checking all the broken threats like Omastar, Toxicroak, Turtonator, Magneton and so on.. The joke has gone too far and I am palpitoad now
3) Football all the way, as a brazilian it has to be lol. I also like swimming, poker (if you consider it a sport), volleyball and curling (loved watching this in the winter olympics)

Tuthur

Haha CEO
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
1 - If you could drop one mon from any higher tier to ZU, which would it be and why?
2 - If you could make come back a removed Pokemon to ZU, which would it be and why?
3 - If you could give an already ZU Pokémon any ability, which Pokemon and which ability would it be?
4 - Same question but for a move.

1 - If you could drop one mon from any higher tier to ZU, which would it be and why?
2 - If you could make come back a removed Pokemon to ZU, which would it be and why?
3 - If you could give an already ZU Pokémon any ability, which Pokemon and which ability would it be?
4 - Same question but for a move.
1) thats a pretty easy one, i think we lack versatile steels and proactive electric immunities in the tier, so togedemaru would make for a great addition, but i dont see it dropping anytime soon
2) i think everything we ended up banning was banned for a reason, but probably id bring haunter for a retest, itd be maybe broken. If you mean stuff that rose, then definitely garbodor, it was incredible for teambuilding
3) huge power palpitoad

Jk
Id probably give an electric immunity to something like stoutland or psychic surge to a psychic type like kadabra or meowstic to try and make the archetype happen, the spd rise from psy/misty seed seems way more balanced than the def rise from grassy/elec seed
4) volt switch stunfisk or seismic toss audino

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)