Project ZU Player of the Week: Week 1 - Ho3nConfirm3d

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus

Ho3nConfirm3d
Favorite Pokemon: Swanna
Most used Pokemon: Mareanie
Most known for: ZU Room Voice, teambuilding innovator

Oathkeepre: Hi Ho3nConfirm3d, how are you doing today?
Ho3nConfirm3d: Hey Oath, been doing well. Happy Friday :)
Oathkeepre: Thanks! Same to you!

Oathkeepre: Can you tell us a little about yourself?
Ho3nConfirm3d: Sure. I've been on Showdown for about 10 years now, but only started seriously interacting with the community for the past year. I used to be an OU main, but I picked up ZU as I always enjoyed dipping my feet in the lower tiers. I really started maining ZU after topping the ladder multiple times, with my highest peak being a 1690 elo. It also was a surprise to me that ZU had its own room and ladder. I never saw the announcement that it was no longer an OMotM, as that was really only when I had played it since then. Since then I just started getting a lot more active in the community and stopped my petty behaviors (for the most part lol) that probably made me a controversial character at the beginning. I was happy to be a voice and to give back to ZU! Okay that should suffice for background about myself / role in ZU.

Oathkeepre: Where did your username come from?
Ho3nConfirm3d: For those who are new, the phrase "hoenn confirmed!" was a very old meme back when I created my showdown account. People were speculating if the gen 3 remakes would come out in gen5, following the trend of FRLG and HGSS. The memes basically were just dumb speculation and fun that tried to hype up the remakes before they were announced. So while the meme died, my username stayed. Oh, and the username "hoennconfirmed" was already taken so I made the e's 3s. Which in of itself is a meme, as 3s were to represent the third generation lol.

Oathkeepre: How did you get into competitive Pokemon in general?
Ho3nConfirm3d: I started in BW as a way to keep Pokemon interesting to me. The main games were getting a little too easy and boring for me, and I wanted something more out of a franchise that I always enjoyed as a kid. I first used Showdown as a way to test my in game teams for the online there, but overall found that I enjoyed playing on Showdown a whole lot more. I was awful starting out, it just didn't click with me, but I did improve over time. The first tier I ever mained was gen5NU, and I still get recognized from some of the old players. Overall, no other competitive game comes close to the metagames found here in showdown, and I'm a huge fan. That, and it being free is always a plus lol.

Oathkeepre: How did it feel to get Room Voice recently?
Ho3nConfirm3d: It was pretty unexpected. It was around the time Rav3ndan and z3ll1 (ShwiftyShiftry) also got their promotions, so I wasn't expecting it thats for sure. DurzaOffTopic tricked me into thinking that I was caught cheating the room tours somehow, so I went back online only to find out I was being promoted to voice. That was really funny, more so that it was Durza that promoted me because I thought that guy hated my guts over old beef and arguing. And for those wondering, yes I won my promotion tour. Wouldn't live with myself if I hadn't.

Oathkeepre:
ZUPL is going on now. What are your thoughts on it? (players, managers, etc)
Ho3nConfirm3d: ZUPL was hyped a lot, and it has been worth the hype for sure so far. It's been going great and has made ZU really lively. That's something I appreciate because there's a lot of unsung talent in the community coming out with these tour games. I'm a ZU everyday kind of guy, while a lot of great players save their ZU games just for tours mostly. So to me as a usual, it's been really cool. Also, I've been making posts / videos that have been going more in depth for ZUPL games and the trends I'm seeing or predicting. I plan on doing this more often, as my bias is strongest as a ZU player rather than a PL player. That's why I wouldn't have the best opinion to give on players or managers. I'd rather stick to analyzing the mons and games.

Oathkeepre: ZUBL is a big family. If you can bring one back down to ZU, what would it be and why?
Ho3nConfirm3d: Before Egg was announced that it was going to be suspect tested, many of those not in the know were speculating Throh. At the time, the only fully-evolved Fighting type in the entire tier was Silvally-Fighting, and Shiftry was just as threatening and centralizing. From what I'm aware, the Throh ban was made when the community was much smaller and the meta significantly different to what it is today. Now we have a lot more offensive and viable Fairy/Psychic/Flying types, as well as general checks that would make the usual Throh sets (in my opinion) much more manageable.

Oathkeepre:
Who do you think will win the ZU Seasonal Playoffs?
Ho3nConfirm3d: I was rooting for uhuhuhu7, and I was in earnest expecting either him or Rav3 to win. Past that, I'm thinking Akashi. Guy has just been playing really well, and we've seen a lot of upsets from non-ZU mains lately. Past that superstition it's still anyone's tournament, nothing will be too unexpected at that point.

Oathkeepre: There are some up and coming players, who do you have your eyes on?
Ho3nConfirm3d: Wow I actually love this question, and I would have had better answers if this was a week ago before ZUPL. This tour invited a lot of new players for tryouts the weeks preceding the draft, but they all went a little silent since then. That and I ought to have a better memory. Regardless, 275p has been an active member in the community and plays well, I believe Tuthur1 created his best team yet and has been playing better than ever, and you yourself Oathkeepre I've seen have made a lot of improvements and potential. And lets not forget ladder champ Misty Dynamax and his affinity for screens + UR mons. He's actually beat a lot of my test teams and my serious ones at that, the guy can play but limits himself to oddball mons. Beacs 2.0 anyone? (also SO to asamiii(⌒_⌒) and Goods Team Rocket!!)

Oathkeepre: What advice do you have for people looking to get into ZU?
Ho3nConfirm3d: The best advice I can give is follow the recourses available like the VR rankings and sample teams. Newbies see ZU and believe the worst of the worst might of a shot and being successful, when that couldn't be further from the truth. ZU is pretty centralized in some ways and before you can start building teams around C rank support mons, you have to learn how to play the top tiers. So don't fall into the trap of thinking you make Aridos or Bastiodon work, as even here many mons are still outclassed.

Oathkeepre: Do you have any favorite people within the community?
Ho3nConfirm3d: I'm a big fan of everyone who is active and likes to play the meta. Our ladder and room tours are often dead, so big shout out to everyone who participates in those regularly. As far as notable figures go, all the auth here are great and help make the community awesome. Guess I don't have anyone in particular as a favorite is all.

Oathkeepre: Do you have a favorite TV Show/Movie? Elaborate!
Ho3nConfirm3d: I was a big fan of "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" with its older seasons and the newer seasons of "Curve Your Enthusiasm." The humor in those shows were always great, kind of shaped my humor for sure. Not the biggest TV or movie fan though, as I find most filmed works to be too formulaic and derivative of the genre as a whole. More of a fan of subversive works if anything.

Oathkeepre: Could I ask you to share a meaningful team to you and explain what it is and what it does?
Ho3nConfirm3d:

Electivire @ Expert Belt
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Ice Punch
- Cross Chop
- Earthquake

Mareanie @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Head Charge

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm

Swanna @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Big Pecks
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet
- Mirror Move

Golem @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Explosion

Here's my R1 team from ZUPL, free of charge! Well, almost my R1 team, as I made one item change that I believe is crucial to this team and its continued success past its debut. What I'm referencing is Expert Belt on Electravire, which previously was Choice Scarf. Now scarf Vire still looks like it would be a safe bet for this team, as it lacks another scarfer for that traditional speed control. But instead, this team relies on both the bulk of a Mare/Bouf defensive core and the support of three offensive sweepers to break down teams. Faster mons like most of ZU's scarves and set up sweepers have hard time either breaking the team, or are significantly punished. The opponent's scarf Vire for example has a hard time choosing a move to be locked into most of the time, as my own Vire is a Electric immunity, and its coverage moves could give Swanna a free Z move and +2. There's also Bouf which has great 95/95/95 bulk and an outstanding 144 stab attack after the Reckless buff that gets 1hko's on a ton of offensive mons even before the SD. It's also a phenomenal wallbreaker/stallbreaker with support from Mare. Mare provides a Fighting resistance for it and a t-spikes absorber defensively, while has Knock Off support to help agianst stall to invalidate Eviolite or Leftovers recovery. Past that, Golem is a standard SR lead that builds momentum for the team early on, and Shiftry complements the rest of the offensive pressure as well as adds a much needed priority as a blanket check for most faster sweepers. Faster mons that Shift can't deal with like Combusk or Silvally-Fighting are usually dealt with by Mare or Swanna as is. So, overall its an offensive team that lacks the traditional utility of a scarf mon to double down on the raw power and coverage of some of ZU's most threatening mons.

That was a great first interview Ho3n. You truly are one of the better ones and gave people a look into your backstory. Thanks so much for your time and have a great day! :blobthumbsup:

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Many people, including myself, know you as a bit of a ladder hero, as you are one of the few top level players that's still active on there. Why do you think it is that many joined enjoy actively playing the ladder, and why isn't that true for you?

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Many people, including myself, know you as a bit of a ladder hero, as you are one of the few top level players that's still active on there. Why do you think it is that many joined enjoy actively playing the ladder, and why isn't that true for you?
The ZU ladder absolutely has a huge disconnect between the VR and usage stats, and facing / losing to a team full of UR mons is aggravating to most people. Theres also usually a long wait when high ladder, which when theres a low chance already for a quality game it just does not make it worth it to most players worth their salt.
The ZU community to an extent is also to blame, as many high players already gave up with playing the ladder regularly. Shouts out to Funbot28 for being the only other ZU auth player that is commonly on the ladder to my knowledge.
Yet this hope that better players being more active could revive the ladder is likely not true, as both after and even during the ZULT there just wasn't that great of an improvement in quality from my perspective, and I played every week of it.

I personally just love playing mons. It doesn't matter if its low quality ladder matches or low player count room tours, I'm always up to play. Not everyone here is like that, but I sure am. In that light being able able to stomach the ladder is small price for my hunger of games lol.

Who is the cutest user who's active in ZU room and why?
not u

Any mons u think are unhealthy rn? Shiftry/Swan are usually the picks so if yes just say why

Any mons u think are underrated? c and below

Which old gen is your favorite? Any reason why?

What kind of music are you into? Recommend something if you want

How sad are you for being a delibird?

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
Favorite Music Artist/Song/Genre?
Do you prefer SM over Old Gens?
What is your take on all the SwSh things we've seen so far?
Have you ever had the intentions on trying to expand your horizons and shoot for bigger Smogon-related tours?
Have you ever interacted with Ktütverde? I feel like you guys would get along great.
When are you doing a YT collab with Funbot28?
Were you surprised that you were the most expensive ZUPL player drafted (regardless that it was me drafting you Blalib nommed you for 23 or 23.5)?
Favorite ZU meme? Also why is it Silvally-Rock is a cute mon?

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
What advice would you give people that are trying to top the ladder?
Topping the ladder comes down to persistence and having a lucky break. Of course its worth mentioning though that you have to have a good understanding of the current meta and a team that meshes well with it. Overall it's a lot of luck with a lot of good plays.

Any mons u think are unhealthy rn? Shiftry/Swan are usually the picks so if yes just say why

Any mons u think are underrated? c and below

Which old gen is your favorite? Any reason why?

What kind of music are you into? Recommend something if you want

How sad are you for being a delibird?
Unhealthy mons? Nah, if anything I think Egg invalidates a lot of bulkier teams from MU, but the meta is adapting and we have mons like Vullaby and Zwei being revived for the occasion
Underrated mons? Bib, Furf, Vibravia, Lapras, Glace, and Whirl all stand out to me for the teams I've faced that pull them off really well.
My favorite old gens ZU is probably ADV, just a fun and haxy meta that has been fun to see its development. But more accurately, I think BW has been the most fun to play. Its an offensive meta that compliments how I build usually.
I'm into all types of music but usually older or obscure rap is my go to. Also SO to Indonesian City Pop, great genre of music.
Being a Delibird is great :) I was not paid / forced to say this :)

Favorite Music Artist/Song/Genre?
Do you prefer SM over Old Gens?
What is your take on all the SwSh things we've seen so far?
Have you ever had the intentions on trying to expand your horizons and shoot for bigger Smogon-related tours?
Have you ever interacted with Ktütverde? I feel like you guys would get along great.
When are you doing a YT collab with Funbot28?
Were you surprised that you were the most expensive ZUPL player drafted (regardless that it was me drafting you Blalib nommed you for 23 or 23.5)?
Favorite ZU meme? Also why is it Silvally-Rock is a cute mon?
I suck at picking favorites but how about Madlib as my favorite producer.
Yeah, SM is probably my favorite gen just because this is where I've come up as an actual player. I was subpar to say the least in ORAS and BW was for gimmicks. Even in retrospect I still find myself enjoying the mechanics here rather than any of the old gens.
I could try some more stuff with other tours, we'll see what happens. I play OMs well enough and I'm still more than passable as an OU player, so I may look in that direction.
Me and ktut played on the ladder a while but no I haven't interacted with him much past that. If he's ever more active again with ZU or in the ZU room maybe I'll ask what's up.
I'll do a YT vid with anyone anytime, and if Funbot hits me up I'll be down.
Again I'm a little new to PLs as a whole so the drafting experience was wild at first. Me personally as the most valued player was cool to see, but that was also in consideration that some other great players were already managers. It was awesome to see, happy to see it, and I just hope to play / support my team to be worth that value.
Favorite ZU meme is :electhinking:, but Ho3s Mad is pretty funny too. Rockvally is cute is a forced meme >:(

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
What is your inspiration for the cores you build around?
I build around whatever I believe may have an edge over the established meta, so more so looking for flaws in the assumptions given by general teambuilding strats. Past that, if anyone in the ZU chat has anything they're testing or suggesting, I tend to follow suit and build around support that would help the set / core.
This is largely because I give recommendations and input into a lot of sets and teams players come up with, and it only helps my Ethos to actually play and have replays that back my word up. Hypotheticals are fine and all, but ideas "in theory" are largely flawed to me so I'd rather have some experience before giving my input.

who is the cutest user ever to grace zu and why is it Quagg ?

what do you think about the zupl draft, a summary of your thoughts would be wonderful

what is the no.1 worst thing you've ever had the displeasure to face on ladder?
Again I'll have to preface any of my opinions on the PL structure as a whole as relatively unexperienced as a new player to Smogon PL tours as a whole. Having said that, I believe the draft still showed that it was anyone's tour to win. The hype around Durza's team likely will come into fruition as far as the playoffs go, but past that the teams looks balanced and have had / will have some fun match ups. I do wish that all of the managers would have played in the tour, as that would have solidified that like 99% of ZU's prime material was active in the league, but it's still okay. Lot of great talent came in as is.
As far as like a play-by-play goes for the draft, I think there were a ton of steals at criminally low prices. I thought that Pigeons, Love Chants, Ampha, and Miribro were some of the biggest steals at sub 5000 points. It was a fun event to witness that in the future I'd recommend anyone invested in a meta to witness. Besides what I thought were underrated picks, the draft as a whole is something I am too naive to have too good of an opinion on.

Aridos is the mon I see on the later all time, and with Misty Dynamax we even have seen it on the ladder with users past 1550 ELO. Time after time it has been disproven as a downgrade rather than a sidegrade for the available mons, but people still choose it. The min/max side of me is totally erked when I face it almost daily on the ladder if not weekly.

Cutest user? No comment : )

I'm late, but I absolutely must know:

What kind of car (if any) do you drive?

Do you cook much of your food? What's your favorite base ingredient?

Why does Swanna exist?

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
I'm late, but I absolutely must know:

What kind of car (if any) do you drive?

Do you cook much of your food? What's your favorite base ingredient?

Why does Swanna exist?
I drive my parent's old minivan I bought off them; just a 2012 Chrysler Town and Country. Gets the job done.

I cook all of my food! I rarely eat out and I have a lot of fun cooking multiple times a week. Favorite base ingredient in one light could be the egg, because theres just so much ways to incorporate an egg in cooking and baking. Plus cooking eggs as their own are great. But I guess a fun spice I incorporate in a lot of my meat dishes is Cayenne pepper :)

Swanna exists to make my builds with Shiftry a lot easier thats for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)