Project ZU Player of the Week: Week 6 - a fruitshop owner

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus

a fruitshop owner
Favorite ZU Pokemon: Kadabra
Most used: Mareanie
Most known for: Driver, moonlighting as blalib as well

Oathkeepre: Hey a fruitshop owner, how are you doing these days?
a fruitshop owner: Been having a great time in my second month of college so I'm really starting to get used to the change.

Oathkeepre: Could you tell us about yourself?
a fruitshop owner: I think i can, I grew up in New England and have played Pokemon since FireRed. I got into Pokemon Showdown from playing with friends and ghosting each other on ladder. Going to school for mechanical engineering now in Ohio. Enjoy movies, hiking, and photography.

Oathkeepre: Do you actually own a fruitshop?
a fruitshop owner: I would like my phone call.

Oathkeepre: Could you tell us the origin of your name then?
a fruitshop owner: I was playing tf2 and playing sniper and he has a saying like "you bloody fruitshop owners" I thought it was funny so I picked the name.

Oathkeepre: What are your thoughts on the first ever ZUPL going on right now and who do you think will win it all?
a fruitshop owner:
I am glad we were able to make ZUPL a thing. ZU has gained so much popularity since the beginning when this would never have been possible. Even with the small screw ups here and there about old gens I love the job DurzaOffTopic and the old gens councils have done to allow it to be playable. There were a lot of people playing with a lot of talent so obviously there are great games across the board. I would like to shout out Ho3nConfirm3d for the work he has done with analysis of replays it is awesome to see that level of interest across the board. I can speak for my team which has been having a blast this year and it seems like others are too. As far as a winner, there are several good teams remaining in the field it is going to be close. I think the team that takes each week seriously will have the best shot at winning. Its been a crazy year especially with the 3 way tie.

Oathkeepre: The end of the meta is about a week and a half away. What are your expectations as far as retests or drops or rises?
a fruitshop owner: There has been a lot of recent talk about suspect testing Shiftry. If we vote to test it I think it will be a narrow stay. It has been in our meta for awhile and poses at threat with little to no switch ins depending on the set (np, lo, fly-z). In ZUPL, it hasn't been used the most any of the weeks so people are finding a way to deal with it and preventing others from bringing it. For pokemon I wish we could bring back, I miss the days of Oricorio-Pom-Pom cool mon that I think could fit back into the current meta without breaking it. And I want vigo (Vigoroth) gone.

Oathkeepre: What is the best lead to use for pencils and why is it 0.7mm?
a fruitshop owner: I actually hate mechanical pencils, but 0.7 is the best because it is the closest number to 0.69

Oathkeepre: What are you going to school for?
a fruitshop owner: I'm going to school to study mechanical engineering. Mechanical engineering "applies engineering, physics, engineering mathematics, and materials science principles to design, analyze, manufacture, and maintain mechanical systems". I hope to get a job after I graduate as a mechanical engineer. I like math and science they told be to be a engineer they make money for doing math and science.

Oathkeepre: What are your top 5 favorite restaurants?
a fruitshop owner: Hmm I'll do chain restaurants first: 1. chick fil-a 2. chipotle 3. five guys 4. wendys 5. panera. Ffor local places there a lot of solid seafood places where I live anything with good clam cakes and chowder is on my list :)

Oathkeepre: You said you're from New England. Are you a fan of any of the teams there? (Patriots, Celtics, Bruins, Red Sox, etc)
a fruitshop owner: Yes I support all these teams. Yes we are spoiled. Love the Red Sox the most those always been a big baseball fan, its a long season and can be a drag but playoff baseball is really exciting last year when we won several fun nights watching and rooting for them, but ye they're all cool and fun to watch.

Oathkeepre: Who are some up and coming players you've noticed or are keeping an eye on?
a fruitshop owner:
I would like to first shout out teammate neomon who has been on fire playing DPP. A lot of these old gens tiers are open for people to really take control of and I think neo owns DPP with an amazing record in ZUPL. I would also like to shoutout Calucha who has been on fire this ZUPL. We have a seasonal coming up it will be very competitive and I hope to go up against some new people!

Oathkeepre: Could I ask you to share a meaningful team and explain what it does?
a fruitshop owner:

Silvally-Fighting @ Fighting Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 HP / 188 SpA / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- U-turn

Kadabra @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Counter
- Encore
- Dazzling Gleam

Kecleon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Fake Out
- Knock Off

Golem @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 240 HP / 32 Atk / 224 Def / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect
- Earthquake

Shiinotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Strength Sap
- Leech Seed
- Moonblast

Swanna @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mirror Move
- Brave Bird
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet

Classic fruits team where we ignore speed control. Few of my favorite pokemon are on the team. Kecleon double priority always comes in clutch and solid knock off threats Bronzor. Golem Shiinotic are a fun core that can wall several of the top threats in the tier like Shiftry, Evire. Kadabra with sash prevents dumb sweeps from Crustle and can encore set up like Muk or Vigoroth. Silv-Fighting with surf is a bad set but I use it just to annoy people running Crustle and Golem. Lastly, Swanna with z-move is a super solid reliable win con that can set up or deal massive damage to something. I have used this team for several month since building it, its comfortable to use and I win enough to justify it.

Oathkeepre: Well fruits, I do appreciate your time and answers. I'm glad you were able to fit it into your schedule and I hope you have a great day!
a fruitshop owner: Thank you for having me. Great seeing you do this keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Hey fruits!
Is there any pokemon you are really enjoying lately?
Most underrated and overrated pokemon?
What is your fav fruit?
Lately I have enjoyed using Mawile, solid shiftry counter intim and rocks are always a plus. Toxic protect is also annoying xD
most underrated pokemon, I really like crustle, the threat of shell smash is huge in this tier if you are able to remove priority. Overrated mon I think is rotom fan I have always had mediocore success with it.
Favorite fruit is mangoes :D
Can you please change your name back to blalib? :psynervous: I like blalib a lot more.
noted
- How does this make you feel?

- Is speed control evil?
- Do you enjoy any tiers other than ZU?
- Your top 5 movies / TV shows?
- Favourite Psych character?
vigo >:(
Im too good for speed control, I havent been burnt by it so until it happens its whynot
tv shows #1 seinfeld --> psych, black mirror, the office, frasier
movies #1 escape from alcatraz --> silence of the lambs, rear window, no country for old men, back to the future
gotta go with shawn
Do you plan to sign up for omwc? and if so, what om do you plan to play in?
ZU is def my best tier but I have a decent number of AAA games but no enough to be super competitive, we shall see how busy I am when sign ups come along

I never knew you as blalib, so....
- Where/when/how/why were you known as blalib? I have always been curious
- What is your favorite part of college so far? Least favorite?
- How do you feel about turtles (ninja or otherwise)?
- Favorite non-mons hobby?
-

I never knew you as blalib, so....
- Where/when/how/why were you known as blalib? I have always been curious
- What is your favorite part of college so far? Least favorite?
- How do you feel about turtles (ninja or otherwise)?
- Favorite non-mons hobby?
-
nickname from friends just kinda stuck

favorite part of college has been meeting new people and trying new things and just not having plans seeing where the day takes you. least favorite is getting up for morning classes and always feeling tired

turtles are dope snapping turtles are my favorite, when I went camping there was a family in the pond by where we slept, fed them bread

long walks on the beach. I dunno I like listening to comedy, watching movies, basketball, frisbee, hiking, chess, other video games (rocket league, counter strike, rust)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)