Most Overused, Abused, and Broken Leads

In your opinion, what are the most common leads you see in battles today? Not just the pokemon itself, but what type it is (ie: Specsmence, DDmence).

I would have to say probably Scarfgar. They are so annoying (at least for my lead, which I won't give away..) and hard to outspeed unless you do stuff like Scarf Azelf or Scarf Weavile. Bronzongs, while annoying, don't give me quite as much trouble, but get a lot accomplished and overall are a sturdy lead.

I see a whole heckuva a lot of Gyarados leads, which always puzzles me.

BulkyDox isn't that fast without a Dance in. He can still get taunted or Hypnotized by a faster lead, and if they have HP Electric or Thunderbolt you're forced to flee or die.

I'd have thought that the best plan would be to hold back BulkyDos to counter Garchomp or set up a sweep on his own.

Your title is really bad as it implies that we are supposed to list the most common/broken lead. However those two things are really far off.

Statistically, Gyarados is the most common lead IIRC, although he is far from being broken.

I don't really think any lead is particularly broken. I do find Sleep leads, and the occasional Wobbuffet to be very annoying though.

Gengar / Wobby / Azelf

All very annoying and can piss you off easily. Gengar can run so many sets as well

I find Gengar is usually a lead, which kind of sucks, because you never know what set it is. Scarfgar is actually the easiest kind for me to beat, because I send in Hariyama first if I predict sleep, but if it shadow balls or something I send in Jirachi and get up some rocks.

Gyarados gets owned by my Specstar lead.

BTW, speaking about Wobby, will he ever get banned again, he's far too cheap. Same with Garchomp, we never did reach a verdict on those guys.

Shoddy let him in. It's really gay, I hate it so much... it's so broken, and people think it's very cool of them to encore toxic or stone edge and get in SDluke... ha ha, very funny... thankfully Weezing beats lucario all the time :D

The first 7 from http://shoddybattle.com/stats are definitely the most accurate:

Gengar - It's difficult to narrow the most common gengar lead down. Most people tend to run different versions anyhow, which is what makes it so dangerous.

Bronzong
- Standard, some running HP electric and going special to hit Taunt Gyara with a strong hit.

Gyarados
- Usually Bulky, Taunt/DD and 2 attacks. Occasional hard hitter or scarfer for surprise factor, but prediction is fairly standard either way. I see people bashing it as a lead, but what's to hate about Intimidating every Physical lead, Taunting all the most common Stealth Rock leads (or Taunting their switch in, which makes prediction tons easier), and just having counters for the leads that send you running?

Tyranitar
- Usually CB. Whereas you can counter other leads if you start out behind, TTar leads are common enough to where leading with something that can't OHKO and dies to pursuit (and doesn't have baton pass) is suicide. At least if you see it leading, you can make some pretty good guesses toward the rest of the opponent's team.

Salamence
- Most of these tend to be Life Orbers right now. Specs are still somewhat popular and need to be accounted for, however. Always dangerous, but still seems to underperform considering.

Yanmega - This is -the- lead. Protect/Hypnosis with 2 attacks and focus sash beats just about every lead out there. Hypnosis and 3 attacks screws you when you expect to be able to wall it with something other than Blissey. Definitely a huge problem unless your team has this thing heavily covered.

Hippowdon
- Mainly for Sandstorm purposes, of course. The real threat this thing poses is that you're going to have to deal with a heavy stall team behind it half the time.

Gengar in and of itself is annoying,
but yanmega can be pretty damn annoying specially the 4 attack variants, which do pop up from time to time.

and bronzong... :(

lol, the only lead i really hate besides wobba(that, deoxys-e, and chomp should be uber) is scarfgar. but even then, you can just outpredict and take it out. having a sleeptalker is essential against these.

Actually I think I should throw in that we all probably hate seeing Tar or Hippo Leads because a Yache/BP Garchomp is 95% sure to show up with him.

I use taunt/hypnosis/u-turn crobat as my anti lead. Sleeps something dangerous (Gyara, Gengar), taunts something that may try to set up (Ninjask, Yanmega, Bronzong, Breloom, Smeargle), and u turn because I have wobb on my team. Also carries Lum berry just in case.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Gengar seems to be the most common lead in DP. Anyone who has played a handful of matches could tell you that, but there's also the statistics and RMT data to back it up. To say he's abused or broken is a little harsh though...he's pretty easy to metagame against; just slap a Lum Berry on a reasonably sturdy Poke like Metagross (or even better, a Poke not vulnerable to CounterSash).

I basically get GGed whenever Wobbuffet is a lead. It's terrible. magic coat Porygon2 is a fun solution though. Bounces back encore, then it's locked into Encore. Then I Ice Beam him. (no immunes, no e-vires, etc)

I'm upset that Colin never asked us smogon people before unbanning wobbuffet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)