CAP 4 CAP 4 - Art Submission Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally like the imp the best. While many of these designs are great, I think that giving them the moves Tailwind, Gravity, Trick Room, Rapid Spin, Wish and Encore (from OP) would be slightly impractical. However, the imp allows us to create a flexible movepool, which is extremely important given that this is supposed to be a utility pokemon.

I agree that the imp could look a bit more ground-y, but I don't think it's a major issue, as most pokemon with a secondary ground type don't look very ground-y at all.

And, it's cute =D

Heh, I love Lorak's. It doesn't look 100% Pokemon-ish to me but the idea is perfect for a ground/poison. It looks more offensive than anything, though.

So while I go crash for the night, it's be great if you guys listed a few color schemes for my armadillo (near bottom of page 10). It'd be interesting to see if anything works well other than purple and brown/tan.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Heh, I love Lorak's. It doesn't look 100% Pokemon-ish to me but the idea is perfect for a ground/poison. It looks more offensive than anything, though.
Which one? xD There are just so many... Cannon, Burger, or Trap?

Which one? xD There are just so many... Cannon, Burger, or Trap?
Trap (I'd actually only read the last page or so). I like having something completely different and unique-looking much better than just creating a Poisonous variant of what would normally be considered a Ground Pokemon, which is what a lot of the submissions have been so far (not to bash those, several were done quite well like Cyzir's spider). The design for the Trap works very well, but the unique factor is what pushes it over the top for me.

Again, thanks to CyzirVisheen and UberMunch to picking up the concept. I really like both of the designs. UberMunch's design has something cute about it, haha. Probably those eyes. I also love the cracking earth effect.

CyzirVisheen's design is also exceptional in that the spinning, detached armor segments give it a way to both spread its spikes and Rapid Spin them off. I have considered suggesting a velvet worm's stubby feet ending with hook-claws, but the crystals are way too good to pass, and it wouldn't fit in the armor concept. For coloring, my advice would be mainly red with an avoidance of yellow - the worm's native name literally means "blood filled intestine worm" for its bright red color, and it is fascinated by the color yellow.

I return with a submission, although it seems I've taken my sweet time. Honestly didn't expect the art submission to have gotten here so early, though, but nonetheless here I am.

I wanted to make him large, with a sort of elegance to him. As it is he could be interpreted as a sort of reverse-Suicune, considering that's where I got the idea for his mane from.

Comments and suggestions are, as always, welcome.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I don't really see where to GROUND typing comes into it though, perhaps making the smoke a tad more brown, like it's kicking up dust etc?
I'm quite sure you're looking at an earlier version of that picture, as I've seen one with rocks around the ground and such. Try to find a more recent post by Absolution.

Nice work Elagune, I really like it. It fits the Ground/Poison theme well, it looks like a legendary pokemon tbh.

As for the Smog Imp I think it's a really nice concept, although not for this type though though, despite the Rocks that were added to the smog behind it it just doesn't look like a Ground or Poison type in anyway. It looks like the next Celebi or Jirachi with 100 stats across the board as a Dark Type. The colour scheme is just so representative of the Dark type it's overwhelming.

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm really impressed with this design. It seems to fit the theme really well, and I could see it being either offensive or defensive - perhaps even a bit of both. The attention to detail with the inclusion of gems is impressive; here's me thinking you wouldn't be able to measure up to your dragon design. Way to prove me wrong!

I seriously love Maniac's Gila monster design too. I suck with art but does anyone think incorporating a Dimetrodon's (prehistoric amphibian ancestor) sail into that design (whilst keeping the rest of the design/colour scheme the same) could help 'explain' why it gets some of the utility moves? The spines at the top for toxic spikes for example?

http://www.vfxtalk.com/newsimages/fcfc_dimetrodon.jpg

Wow. There are a ton of great submissions here. It'll make it really hard to vote for the art this time around.

Great coloring salamence!

Nice re-coloring Maniac!

Absolution, I like the added fang touch there. I think it makes it look cute and mean at the same time.

And from nowhere Elagune shows up with an awesome naga. Fantastic work!

I return with a submission, although it seems I've taken my sweet time. Honestly didn't expect the art submission to have gotten here so early, though, but nonetheless here I am.
I wanted to make him large, with a sort of elegance to him. As it is he could be interpreted as a sort of reverse-Suicune, considering that's where I got the idea for his mane from.

Holy awesome Elagune! That's my favorite so far, followed by Sanglunaria's armadillo. That one looks the best, and I think that Sanglunaria's has a lot of movepool potential. Absolution's Smog Imp is cool, too, but I really don't think it fits the typing.What would be really awesome if there were something like Sanglunaria's armadillo, except, like, an evolution of it. Like, with a bell hanging from its neck, and a giant, Milotic-like tail, and giant poisonous spikes coming out of its back. And the jewels on its forehead / tail should be purple. I love the picture I'm seeing in my head of this.

Thanks for the lighter one Maniac. But I fell in love with the dark one overnight for some reason. I'm liking the gems on it, but I don't know why. I could see this guy getting a lot of the support moves (except Wish, I can't really see that one...)

Elagune, yours is great as well. It's a very cool design, and it's easily one of my favorites.

salamenceslasher, you have my vote. i would change the green to purple, though. actually, that version looks more like a shiney color 0-o.

Thanks BK

This is the lighter version of it that Elevator Music asked me to post.
Loving this one, Maniac (especially the gems). I think it fits the concept really well in all areas except for one. It looks a little bulky for the 100+ base speed we'll probably end up giving this thing. I can't see this thing outrun a garchomp with that ponch ;) Do you think it would look better with a sleeker body?

That... is very cool. Not many other submissions get both the typing or the stats that are being thrown around. This does. And it's mystical touch let's it fit in with many of the moves we're talking about. Awesome job!

As for the others, I really don't think Maniac's Gila design looks like it could have the move pool that we're looking at. That doesn't look like Wish, Tailwind, Encore, or Rapidspin are appropriate, which is the entire point.

Salamenceslasher's is closer. The move pool I think is more viable with it, but I don't think it looks like a Pokemon. It's too busy. Definitely a fun design, but I don't think it works.

As for the Smog Imp I think it's a really nice concept, although not for this type though though, despite the Rocks that were added to the smog behind it it just doesn't look like a Ground or Poison type in anyway. It looks like the next Celebi or Jirachi with 100 stats across the board as a Dark Type. The colour scheme is just so representative of the Dark type it's overwhelming.
As for your point that it looks like Jirachi or Celebi, I'm going to have to say that most Fairy egg group members look that way. Togetic, Pikachu, Clefairy, Azumarill, Castform, etc. If you look at them completely unbiased, and put them next to Celebi or Jirachi, just visually, they all look like they could have the same stats. We know in reality that they don't, and thus perceive them differently, but design-wise? They could be the same. This is out of that same line. The Fairy egg group is, as far as I'm concerned, necessary for this Pokemon because it's the one with all the moves we want him to have, and we can't honestly just stick them all in his level-up list. That would be rediculous. So some of them have to come in through breeding.

As for your color scheme complaint, I can't dissagree. I think the dark purple looks the best, but how about these?

This first one is the darker color scheme with the original smog that I had, before I even showed you guys. I changed the smog personally because I didn't want anyone to start associated him with Sandstream, but if his types aren't coming through enough, maybe this will help a bit.

Original Imp:

This next one is, hopefully, for those that see him as being a Dark type do to the dark purple. This color scheme was ripped straight from Arbok.

Stereotypically Poison Imp:

Finally this last one is going the opposite way. While Number 2 went Poison, this one goes Sand. I personally think he should look Poison dominant because it's the main type, but if you guys like this one best, I really don't mind. And if nothing else, it could be used as the Shiny form.

Steretypically Ground Imp:

I prefer the original imp with the brown in its cloud, because the imp's body color matches the main color of the smog cloud. The second imp's body color really stands out a little too much for me, though it looks quite a bit less like a dark-type. I do like the third color scheme a lot, though I agree that it would be best to make it more dominantly poison-typed. It would always be a possibility to add brown streaks to the original imp's body, though I question how well that would look.

Jesus...all the changes/suggestion towards the imp are slowly destroying him ;_;. Personally I thought it looked okay with just brown eyes. I do have to ask, if you removed it's imp tail and replaced it with just the smog it would work out. I don't truly know because I like it the way it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)