CAP 8 CAP 8 - Part 4 - Style Bias Poll 1

What should our Style Bias be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Pokemon so far:
Elevator Music said:
Name: Neglected Ability

Description: This pokemon will have an ability [or two] that is currently undervalued (but possibly very helpful) in the metagame but isn't used because the other pokemon with this ability don't have the stats or movepool to make it work.
Type: Electric / Dragon

This is where we determine the general style of the pokemon, from an offensive and defensive standpoint. We also will set limits on the stat spreads that support that style. It should be noted that the Style Bias is not just for limiting stats, but also helps shape the general "feel" of the pokemon. The Style may influence other parts of the pokemon -- such as art, movepool, ability, etc. However, the stat spread is the only part of the project that will be specifically constrained by the voted Style Bias.

Offensive/Defensive Balance is part of the Stats Rating Formula developed by X-Act for numerically measuring a pokemon's base stats.

Information about the formula is located here.A utility for calculating the ODB is located here.

Style Bias should consist of a single poll with four options:

Offensive/Defensive Balance

Offensive: 20 to 40+
Mixed, possibly Offensive: 0 to 20
Mixed, possibly Defensive: -20 to 0
Defensive: -40 to -20

The voted ODB range must be followed by stat spread creators when submitting final stat spreads for the Stat Spread Poll later. The Style Bias that is chosen will have an effect on the Abilities that we can choose from for our Neglected Ability. The list can be found here.

I'd like to see a defensive CAP. It would be pretty awesome having one, and there's a great selection of abilities that come with it.

Somewhat offensive. Many of the best of the approved abilities would go well with somewhat offensive or offensive. This is good offensive typing, not very good defensive typing.

I vote for highly defensive. The rest of the CAP sweep teams, even Fidgit has sweeping potential. Something that has trouble going for kills would be nice for a change.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'd like to see a more balanced CAP with this typing, since the typing goes with both offense and defense. I went with Slightly Defensive however, to emphasize the resistances of the typing more.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The comprehensive case for Defensive/Somewhat Defensive:

We have a chance to give our CAP some truly amazing abilities that have seen little use. I ask you, of what use is immunity to various additional effects if you are still 2HKO'd by any attack?

And what of power concerns. Some have bemoaned that Electric/Dragon is too mighty an offensive combo. Trending defensive allows us to curb super offensive spreads without sacrificing movepool options.

My fellow citizens of CAP, our calling is clear. Electric has proven its resists supremely useful through Rotom-A already, Magnezone also completely walls the vast majority of attacks that cannot strike it for SE damage. We should plumb the depths of what a Defensive Dragon can bring rather than bringing on yet another fast, powerful Dragon sweeper. We already have Salamence, Flygon, and Latias, let us explore the other side of Dragons.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I went for Somewhat defensive, I don't think we need an offenisve CaP and I don't want it to be something like blissey, in terms of attacking power.

I voted somewhat defensive, I want something along the lines of a bulky attacker.
(SpecsTank ftw!)

I feel that Dragon/Electric gets a great amount of resistances, therefore it should be a supporting Pokemon. Because of this, Somewhat Defensive is my vote.

Somewhat Defensive is taking it. I thought that it would be the right way to go. We don't need another fast powerful Dragon sweeper, but it would also be nice not to leave that wonderful offensive attacking combination to waste.

Somewhat Defensive.

Most of my reasoning is actually already summarized in the previous few posts in this thread.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Defensive for a few biased reasons, but the biggest one was that since most, if not all, Dragon-types are offensive (barring Latias in Ubers) I would like to see a extremely defensive one. =] Plus is comes with great resistances.

I went with somewhat defensive. Defensive pokes tend to make more use of their ability and since we are basing this around underused abilities, it seemed to fit. Also, as previously mentioned there are too many offensive dragon types already, what good will another be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)