The MMA/Boxing/Fighting Sports Thread

FEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOR EMELIANEEEEEEEEEEEENKOOOOOOO

Werdum looks like a retard whenever he tries to strike with people lol.

Shields wasn't that great, Mayhem did an excellent job on the ground and fucking had the match won........talk about saved by the bell

Way to dry hump your way to a win Jake. jk it was actually my 2nd fav fight because of the grappling

But daaaam man Rogers had me worried for a bit there, he was landing those GnP shots and I was like the doctor better not stop this shit!!!(reffering to Fedor's nose)

Makes you think though, if Rogers can land some clean shots like that while on top of Fedor, how would Lesnar fare? The man's waaaay better at top-control. Just a thought/

Makes you think though, if Rogers can land some clean shots like that while on top of Fedor, how would Lesnar fare? The man's waaaay better at top-control. Just a thought/

Why do you think Lesnar has better top control, exactly?

His top control on Couture was pathetic -- Barnett pounded Couture into a bloody mess in about 1 minute on top of him, Lesnar couldn't do shit to Randy on the ground til he donkey kong punched him on the feet (and even then I'd say that wasn't really top control so much as many hammerfists and Couture failing to try and get up).

Mir has terrible ground control; he has great explosive submissions but I've never seen a Mir fight where he has controlled someone on the ground or for that matter got off his back when put there (and this is what to me puts him behind Nog, Werdum, Gonzaga etc).

From the fight we can deduce the following:

1. Brett Rogers has quite a good ground game, I believe his training with Barnett may well have paid off.

2. It was a very good fight, one of the best Heavyweight matchups I've seen in some time -- the last HW bout that I got excited about was Barnett vs Big Nog.

3. Brett Rogers didn't just "get lucky" against Arlovski, he's got some legit skills (oh, and by the way, that one Jab did more damage than all of Arlovski's shit put together).

I'm not saying Lesnar's top-control is better than Barnett's because Barnett's a VERY experienced fighter and easily top 5 if not 3. This is assuming you're not taking into account his legal issues...

I do believe it is better than Rogers' though due to Lesnar's success in NCAA wrestling and his power. You do have a good point in Couture though. An old Randy was able to get Brock to the ground and even scramble to his feet after being taken down. However this also makes me think that Lesnar could get back to his feet very easily if Fedor even managed to get Lesnar on his back which I think would be extremely difficult.

I thought Rogers would have ZERO ground game but not getting armbarred and GETTING BACK TO HIS FEET FROM THE BOTTOM really impressed me. He looked hella nervous on his feet but he made Fedor work his ass off for that win. His post-fight interview was retarded but wat you gonna do/ It's still very inspiring to see a man who's not even 6 feet tall, baby faced, chubby, soft-spoken, never runs around flexing his muscles, undersized, etc.etc. go out there and win against significantly larger men who look like actual fighters.

Anyhow I think Lesnar's wrestling and power make him a dangerous fight for Fedor just because Fedor hasn't faced anyone with the wrestling ability and size of Lesnar in the same package.

I think the first round would probably start off with Fedor teeing off on Lesnar and Lesnar turtling up and taking him down at will. The deciding factor imo would be whether Fedor can survive the initial GnP because I believe the longer the fight lasts the more Lesnar would have to consider striking with Fedor.(BIG NO NO) If Lesnar can't finish in the first 2 rounds he'd end up getting TKO'd/subbed I think because the man's going to start gassing eventually...he's fucking huge.

What still makes me lean towards Fedor though is that I question Lesnar's mentallity. Sure the man's a fucking badass, he gets in there and puts his life on the line, but I honestly doubt he's willing to go through as much pain or has the heart as many other men who've been through the wars.

I'm not saying Lesnar's top-control is better than Barnett's because Barnett's a VERY experienced fighter and easily top 5 if not 3. This is assuming you're not taking into account his legal issues...
I wasn't comparing to Barnett (except on the Couture comparison), I was simply saying that, especially given his size and background, that Lesnar is really damn unimpressive in terms of top control and I'm yet to be given a reason to believe his top control is any different to that of Brett Rogers.

Lesnar could definitely get back to his feet but I don't see him achieving much from there.

Vera by TKO round 2.
A bold prediction.

Personally I think Vera's best chance is a quick KO or a leg kick induced decision.

Oh, and Dan Hardy will KO Swick -- it's just a hunch, but I see it happening.

Incidentally, Sengoku 11 got lost in the shuffle but it had some cool fights, basic recap:

Mamed Khalidov knocked out Jorge Santiago with hammerfists and punches FROM HIS BACK, holy shit that is ridiculous power.

Jim York for some reason decided to give up top position for an ankle lock on Dave Herman and got his face rearranged by axe kicks on the ground.

Marlon Sandro reminded everyone of why he should have won the Sengoku FW GP if he didn't suffer a highway robbery decision.

Good fights all round.

Bleh so much for Vera 2nd round TKO.

Not a very exciting fight lol it went the way I expected it to but I thought Vera would catch Randy in the 2nd. Oh well. Vera has SOO much potential but he just can't seem to be able to string wins together. Expect Randy to get 1 more opponent and then a title shot or just get a title shot right away. When he's that marketable it's no wonder why the man gets to fight for the title so often.

I was impressed with Hardy, he's a much better striker than I thought of him as.

I thought Bisping was better than Kang, but I don't mind admitting that I was pulling for a Kang KO. Good job Bisping.

Ross Pearson is going to be a dangerous fight for anybody at 155 it seems. He's technical and packs some power too.

Grats to Matt Brown too, he's gonna be around for a while.

A real boring main event.. Vera didn't impress me at all. I was really hoping he'd stick to the game plan and keep his distance in order to use his kicks more. I don't see Randy doing much in this division; I hope he puts the gloves up soon before it ends badly.

Hardy getting a title shot already is ridiculous. Oh well, he can't do shit to GSP. GSP will eat him alive.

Kang gassed so bad... Joe Rogan pissed me off too. "TREMENDOUS WIN FOR BISPING, HE'S BACK" Really Rogan? Really? He got destroyed in the first round and then was able to turn it around only because Kang gassed.

In the end, a terrible card and very dissapointing for me. I'm glad Pacquiao destroyed Cotto, though. That made the day better.

A real boring main event.. Vera didn't impress me at all. I was really hoping he'd stick to the game plan and keep his distance in order to use his kicks more. I don't see Randy doing much in this division; I hope he puts the gloves up soon before it ends badly.

Hardy getting a title shot already is ridiculous. Oh well, he can't do shit to GSP. GSP will eat him alive.

Vera didn't impress me at all, but man, Randy looked fucking awful, I don't know if it's the cut or what but he looked really bad.

Nobody can really do shit to GSP, there is one fighter in the entire division with more than a punchers chance (besides Rumble, who just has a bigger punchers chance due to having absurd power) and that is Fitch, who the UFC hates for some reason I can't really work out, maybe he doesn't appeal to any niche demographic or the standard "bud light drinking dickhead" demographic. That said, GSP can be beaten and he has a tendency towards standing in the earlier rounds.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You are being insanely unfair to Bisping, as are quite a huge portion of mma fans.

His pace ruined Kang: his repeated takedowns and unrelentless ground and pound. Kang didn't "gas" by himself, he couldn't keep up with Bisping, plain and simple.

It is a tremendous win, he is back. Really. Fucking really.

Bisping may never crack top 5 but then again, I don't see either why he couldn't.

I'm pretty sure Kang was the one applying the pressure in the first round and landing way more hits. Then in the second round he was gassed because he didn't finish the fight, which he was trying to do when he rocked Bisping. Bisping didn't do shit until the gassed Kang came out in round two. He isn't back. When Bisping can beat a fighter who isn't past his prime(Kang doesn't look like the way he did in Pride) then he can say he's back. Until then: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qggqSkDTlA8

This whole "old Bisping" is bullshit. He's the same shitty fighter that he has always been. And I still hate him/the judges for robbing Hamill in that fight, which Hamill clearly won.

I'm pretty sure Kang was the one applying the pressure in the first round and landing way more hits. Then in the second round he was gassed because he didn't finish the fight, which he was trying to do when he rocked Bisping. Bisping didn't do shit until the gassed Kang came out in round two. He isn't back. When Bisping can beat a fighter who isn't past his prime(Kang doesn't look like the way he did in Pride) then he can say he's back. Until then: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qggqSkDTlA8

This whole "old Bisping" is bullshit. He's the same shitty fighter that he has always been. And I still hate him/the judges for robbing Hamill in that fight, which Hamill clearly won.
That has to be the funniest video I've seen in a long long time...

Also agreeing the main event wasn't too exciting (but then again, I wasn't expecting too much anyways), and also agreeing that GSP will likely destroy Hardy, barring some surprise TKO like Matt Serra got away with.

So, Ortiz/Griffin next...go Forrest!

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
"I hate someone because THE JUDGES gave him a decision he shouldnt have be given."

ok.

Perhaps from there you should attempt to rationalize your bias.

"I hate someone because THE JUDGES gave him a decision he shouldnt have be given."

ok.

Perhaps from there you should attempt to rationalize your bias.
Actually, I hate him because the way he responded in a post-fight interview in that fight. And I hate the judges too.

I don't think a lot of people dislike Bisping because of the way he fights, because he's a pretty decent fighter, it's just his pre and post fight talking makes him look like a dick.

Randy didn't look bad imo. The man's 46 years old. Please don't buy into that "age doesn't matter" garbage. Besides, he did exactly what he needed to to earn the W. Timmey did the same thing to Vera and it worked so why change anything especially when you're the stronger wrestler.

oh yeh,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Tqv4TK7xk

Randy's weight workout for MMA conditioning. Believe it or not, this shit WILL make you gain muscle mass and push your endurance. Do exactly what the vid says and your first attempt at it is going to be HELL. In under 30 mins you're so fucking burned out. ;) If you ever feel okay after doing it, add some weight on your next run and the pain starts all over again.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
I don't think a lot of people dislike Bisping because of the way he fights, because he's a pretty decent fighter,
and I want people to give him exactly this much credit.

But it seems too much to ask for a lot of mma fans.

Damn... Aldo destroyed Brown. At first, I was nervous because Aldo wasn't displaying his usual speed and crazy combinations but then he started unloading and it was over.

I was really impressed and happy with Manny's performance tonight. After that injury during the fight in the TUF finale and losing his contract chance, I feel that this is a new road for him. Hopefully he continues to do well.

Also.. I don't see who will be beating Aldo.. They guy is too much. He made quick work of someone who beat the previous champ twice..

Also.. I don't see who will be beating Aldo.. They guy is too much. He made quick work of someone who beat the previous champ twice..
I suspect the WEC will need to look overseas for someone to handle Aldo, Marlon Sandro for instance would pose some interesting problems for him (though he might be too small, Sandro makes 139 pretty easy for Japanese FW). Not because he's a better fighter than anyone Aldo has fought, but because he's just a totally different animal to the American Boxer/Wrestler/Some Jits fighter.

Woot, George Sotiropoulos won.

Guess I wasn't the only one who didn't give a damn about that card, eh. :)

Least Lil Nog's here now, and he's here to stay kids.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)