Most Underrated Pokémon of Generation 5

Cryogonal serves as a special wall, a Rapid Spinner and a user of Sheer Cold all rolled in one (Sheer Cold is not banned on the Pokémon Online server, so that move is definitely usable there, however according to the usage statistics, Cryogonal is only ranked #232 in usage, being used in only 0.29% of all teams, and this makes me conclude that under the rules of the Pokémon Online server at the very least, it is underrated, as I had great success using it in one of my teams).http://91.121.73.228/Dream World/index.html

Definitely Kyurem. It's so underrated to the point it's placed in the wrong tier.
Nothing (except Jirachi, maybe) safely switches into it and evry few things are capable of OHKOing it.
It's pretty much like Metagross and Giratina-O: it can't sweep on its own easily but it can and will open massive holes in the opponent's team.
Kyurem isn't really underrated. I agree that it deserves to be used a bit more, but I've seen it pretty often

This may sound odd, but I'll be the devil's advocate that nominate Axe Face.

He was the definition of hype early on this generation with that absurd 147 Attack, but now it's hardly ever seen - especially higher in the tier. Yes, other dragons can do some jobs better than he can (Dragon Dance and Swords Dance with Mence/Nite and Chomp), but he can indeed be devastating if used in a way the only it can really do. I've used Choice Band for a while, and that Outrage is just grossly powerful, ripping your opponent's team in half. Yes, Haxorus can be slightly noobish to use, but underestimate at your own peril.

elDino

Deal With It.
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm gonna suggest this set that I use on one of my teams. Specially defensive Dragonite. It's an amazing partner to Skarmory and they can wall a lot of stuff between themselves.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Inner Focus
Careful Nature
252 HP / 216 SpD / 44 Spe
~ Heal Bell
~ Roost
~ Dragon Tail
~ Toxic / Thunder Wave

Basically you switch in on a special attacker without an Ice move. Use heal bell or your status move, and then just phaze away. The only problem is that you can't use Multi Scale cause it's illegal with one of the moves. But apart from that, it's an amazing special wall that counters stuff like Virizion without HP Ice, it can phaze away and do heavy damage to Reuniclus with Dragon Tail and finally, it does great against stall as it can get rid of status and then phaze everything around whilst doing good damage with Toxic. Just try it out guys!

All three muskeeter is only underatted on PO server. In smogon server terrakion, and Virizion is everyhwere in the corner

Throh (or as I call him Chawk) is a very underrated Bulky Fighter with some things that set him apart from other ones like Machamp, Hariyama, Conkeldurr ect.

-Has higher HP and Special Defense than Conkeldurr

-He is the only Pokemon in the game to get "Mountain Storm", a move that always critical hits, making it a ideal Bulk-Up Scrafty counter.

-He is the only Fighting Pokemon (outside of Poliwrath and Lucario) to get Overhead Throw, a great Phazing move.

-He is the only Fighting type, other than Sawk, to get Mold Breaker. Throh can now hit Gengar, Bronzong, Rotom-A, and other Mon with Levitate using Earthquake.

-He's a Viable Guts user; No Guard & Thick are much better abilities for Machamp & Hariyama, and once Conkeldurr gets Iron Fist it will definetly be used over Guts on several sets due to it's power boost to Hammer Arm, Mach Punch, Drain Punch, and Focus Punch.

Meanwhile, Guts is probably Throh's most reliable ability; Mold Breaker is only viable on sets with Earthquake, while Inner Focus will probably only be used on an anti-lead set.

Of course I'm not saying Machamp, Hariyama, and Conkeldurr aren't great Bulky Fighters; they have niches over Throh, but Throh has niches over them too.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Throh's main issue is how he's getting past the same crap that walls other bulky Fighters with only 100 base Att...

Take the virizion fucking off. That guy is so common its so not underatted ever before shrang posted and popularized that CM set with taunt and sub set.
On drudiggon my fave set is :

252 Atk/252 HP/6 SpD
Life Orb
Sucker Punch
Fire Fang
Dragon Claw/Outrage
Earthquake/Superpower/Crunch/Toxic/Taunt

Attempting to use sucker punch to nulify its speed, crimgan is one of the best sucker punch user able to beat some threats in the metagame such as unsuspecting Latios with sucker punch which 2HKO and abling it to beat weakened latios. Dragon Claw and Outrage is the same power - change move argument and is mandatory for its STAB. Fire Fang is a must. it OHKO nattrei and maim things that dont resist it especialy backed with double LO boost and 120 base attack. The last move slot is very wide. Earthquake is to give perfect neutral coverage and more spammable. Superpower can replace Earthquake to OHKO some notable dark and rock Type. Crunch while seems stupid with sucker punch is your best bet for Rankurusu. Toxic is to beat bulky pokemon that shut down crimgan such as hippowdon. Finally Taunt can be used to prevent some move on slower(and sometime faster) pokemon.

OC :
Thunder Fang can be used to handle water type. Glare can be used for paralyze support. Pursuit can be used to trap pokemon that you predicted to switch out.

Calcs

Fire Fang to nattrei
85.3% - 100.9% x 130 %(always OHKO)

Gyro Ball from natts
27.6% - 32.5%

Crunch to ranky
49.4% - 58.1% x 130 % (2HKO)

Unboosted Psychic
39% - 46.3%
(OMG he actualy BEAT rankurusu !!!!)

Latios Get sucker punched
93.4% - 110.6% (OHKO with SR)

Virizion Ice HP LO + 1 ful SpA timid
77.3% - 91.4%

Fire Fang to full Hp full defense Bold
44% - 52.3% x 130 % (always 2HKO)
Uninvested full HP
64.8% - 76.7% x 30 % (nearly OHKO)
Sucker Punch
19.9% - 23.6% (small chance to survive thsi combo)

Tarakion Close Combat with LO
85% - 100.3%
Superpower from crim
120.2% - 141.5%
EQ
99.5% - 117.6%

how about this set ?

also that ice flakes suffer from fighting metagame more than bliss. Bliss can take multiple DM he cant. Thats a rather big factor why wont i use it

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mamoswine
252 HP/252 Atk/4Def
Leftovers
Ice Shard
Icicle Drop
Earthquake
Stone Edge

Great coverage with its moves, finally has a great Stab move to use in Icicle Drop (flinch is really nice). Instatnyl checks all dragons+Sand teams. If you were wondering unboosted Excadrill does between 30-40% (on average, in my experience) with EQ while mamo does ~65% with Icicle Drop, Koing with Ice Shard. Landorus/T-Tar is lol. On stall teams it can occasionally beat Nattorei+Skarmory if it gets lucky with flinching. Max HP means it has a fuckton of bulk alloing you to tank a hit, just survive and KO with the appropriate move.

SpecsDragonite
Inner Focus/Multiscale
Modest 252 SA/252 HP/4 Def
~Draco Meteor
~Hurricane
~Flamethrower
~Surf/Focus Blast

Draco Meteor is a lot weaker than specsLatios, but Gale gives a great secondary stab move and flamethrower means you don't have to run HP fire. Also a bit bulkier than latios, and usually assumed to be running Physical. Multiscale goes without saying, but Inner Focus could be used because Scarfrachi and fake out leads get a horrible suprise.

This has happened so many times: Infernape/Kojondo used fake out! Did nothing! Dragonite used gale! Infernape/Kojondo died horribly!

I gotta agree with the guy on the first page that Slowbro deserves MUCH more attentions than he's been getting (which is almost none). Regeneration makes an already pretty good pokemon into one of the game's best bulky waters, he does an excellent job at beating some of the games best physical sweepers easily. He can easily come in on the pokemon landlos and garchomp (they only 3hko with their Earthquake moves), blaziken and many others, ohko them all and then switch out, leaving him with 2/3s of his health when he switches without needing to waste a turn using slack off.
Another nice perk to using slowbro over other bulky waters it that he has flamethrower, which means nattorie is no problem for this water type :D. Also makes him a good choice for sun teams looking for a good physical wall. I wouldn't be suprised if he became one of the standard bulky waters of choice once people start to find out about him.

Here's the set I've been using on one of my sun teams

Slowbro@leftovers
Bold
19 Speed IVs
252hp/224def/32spA
Psychic/Boiling water
Flamethrower
Ice beam/toxic/ thunderwave
Slack off

The spA Evs are for always OhKOing blaziken after stealth rock and the speed ivs are so that he never outspeeds roobosion,making payback go first, but lets slowbro always outspeed nattatorie. The first three moves are pretty easily interchangeable among each other, depending on your team needs.

Slowbro pairs pretty well with Amoongus too in terms of covering each other's weaknesses... I think I have a new defensive core. :P

I'm nominating Goruugu. Hes not bad. He has 3 useful Immunities giving him plenty of time to switch in and give the Opponent a big, No Guard, Dynamic Punch to the face. Or if he doesn't have that ability, he can still hit hard with Earthquake! He handles Blissey easily too. Big Attack stat and immune to Seismic Toss and Thunder Wave.

Slowbro@leftovers
Bold
19 Speed IVs
252hp/224def/32spA
Psychic/Boiling water
Flamethrower
Ice beam/toxic/ thunderwave
Slack off

The spA Evs are for always OhKOing blaziken after stealth rock and the speed ivs are so that roobosin never outspeeds, but lets slowbro always outspeed nattatorie. The first three moves are pretty easily interchangeable among each other, depending on your team needs.
Question: Why would you want to outspeed Conkledurr? Isn't its only move that hits you SE, Payback, do less damage if you go second?

If Slowbro is that good, then Slowking should be, too.
The lower defense is a pretty big deal, actually, considering that most fighting-types will have a ghost or dark move to back it up.

372 Atk +2 LO HJK vs. 252/252 Bold Slowbro: (48.98% - 57.87%)
372 Atk +2 LO HJK vs. 252/252 Bold Slowking: (60.15% - 71.07%)

As you can see, Slowbro definitely has the edge, and this is just a resisted move. Slowking isn't as great, IMO.

- Kyurem needs more love <3 Too bad it doesnt learn Ice Breath D:
- Escavalier, it's bulky and hits hard. But I hate Trick Room so yeah...

Are Slowbroking that underrated? I see bunch of them lately.

The lower defense is a pretty big deal, actually, considering that most fighting-types will have a ghost or dark move to back it up.

372 Atk +2 LO HJK vs. 252/252 Bold Slowbro: (48.98% - 57.87%)
372 Atk +2 LO HJK vs. 252/252 Bold Slowking: (60.15% - 71.07%)

As you can see, Slowbro definitely has the edge, and this is just a resisted move. Slowking isn't as great, IMO.
Well do a calc for Energy Ball or some kind of...special move perhaps? :) They are quite similar so I don't see why one makes the other TOTALLY inferior.

Well do a calc for Energy Ball or some kind of...special move perhaps? :) They are quite similar so I don't see why one makes the other TOTALLY inferior.
Because the things they will be walling most will be using physical attacks primarily, and their weaknesses tend to lie on the special side which hampers their effectiveness on that spectrum.

Slowking can take a stray energy ball or Fire Blast better than Slowbro, yes. But Slowbro deals just fine and takes the hits it needs to be taking better in general, so it is the better option.

Because the things they will be walling most will be using physical attacks primarily, and their weaknesses tend to lie on the special side which hampers their effectiveness on that spectrum.

Slowking can take a stray energy ball or Fire Blast better than Slowbro, yes. But Slowbro deals just fine and takes the hits it needs to be taking better in general, so it is the better option.
I dunno, Focus Blast is pretty popular. Plus lets check their resistances shall we?

Fighting P
Steel P
Fire S
Water S
Psychic S
Ice S

Seems to me like more of their resistances are types that are most commonly on special moves. Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Surf, Scald, Fire Blast, and etc are moves I see every game. I'd rather have my Ghosts absorb fighting moves or something.

Honestly though I think Bro/King's viability depends on your team and what it calls for. I couldn't think one is better than the other. THey just excel in different areas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)