Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If a pokemon is holding an Air Balloon while Gravity is active, will it take damage from Ground-type moves?
Gravity overrides all other effects. You could have Rotom-S holding an Air Balloon under the effect of Magnet Rise, and it would still take damage from Ground attacks in Gravity.

xenu

Banned deucer.
Gravity overrides all other effects. You could have Rotom-S holding an Air Balloon under the effect of Magnet Rise, and it would still take damage from Ground attacks in Gravity.
wait, is this still the case if magnet rise is used after gravity?

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does Haxorus prefer Superpower to Brick Break on its Choice Band set in BW2, or does it not need the extra power?

http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/haxorus
It's not really a power issue, but more of the 'being locked into a stat decreasing move' issue. Superpower is not the best move to be locked into because it gets weaker and weaker and also decreases your defense afterwards. Brick Break is a much safer option, however it is weaker initially. Some threats require Superpower to be taken down; others can be done by Brick Break. It really depends on what you are trying to hit. If you're targeting major walls and acting as a wall breaker, I'd suggest Superpower. If you're just looking for coverage, Brick Break should be better.

Does Haxorus prefer Superpower to Brick Break on its Choice Band set in BW2, or does it not need the extra power?

http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/haxorus
Actually, I disagree with Electrolyte. First of all, two Superpowers are stronger than two Brick Breaks (Superpower: 120 + 120*(2/3) = 200 BP, Brick Break: 75 + 75 = 150 BP). Also, the Choice Band negates the attack drop from Superpower, and a neutral Haxorus still hits hard. Being a Choiced Pokemon, it will have a hit-and-run playstyle, so Haxorus will switch out often, getting rid of any stat drops, and you'll want to hit as hard as you can before you switch out, similarly to Specs Latios.

So, TL;DR, Superpower over Brick Break on a Choice Band Haxorus.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Don't forget that Haxorus also gets Low Kick, which is both stronger than Brick Break against most of the things you'd want to hit with it and more sweep-friendly than Superpower. IMO it's the best option unless you need Superpower for a specific threat.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Actually, I disagree with Electrolyte. First of all, two Superpowers are stronger than two Brick Breaks (Superpower: 120 + 120*(2/3) = 200 BP, Brick Break: 75 + 75 = 150 BP). Also, the Choice Band negates the attack drop from Superpower, and a neutral Haxorus still hits hard. Being a Choiced Pokemon, it will have a hit-and-run playstyle, so Haxorus will switch out often, getting rid of any stat drops, and you'll want to hit as hard as you can before you switch out, similarly to Specs Latios.

So, TL;DR, Superpower over Brick Break on a Choice Band Haxorus.
Oops lol, calculation error. My justification was that Superpower turned Skarmory's Brave Bird into a 2HKO- but Superpower is still better in that regard becuase it can OHKO Skarm after SR. In fact lol Outrage does more than Brick Break against Skarmory and Bronzong, because 120 x 1.5 / 2 = 90, while Break Break sits at a lowly 75.

Voodoo Pimp is correct, however- Low Kick surpasses Brick Break by around 3% damage on average to Skarmory. Low Kick even just barely OHKOs Ferrothorn all of the time.

Temp V1

Movin' at the speed of life and I can't slow down
Oops lol, calculation error. My justification was that Superpower turned Skarmory's Brave Bird into a 2HKO- but Superpower is still better in that regard becuase it can OHKO Skarm after SR. In fact lol Outrage does more than Brick Break against Skarmory and Bronzong, because 140 x 1.5 / 2 = 105, while Break Break sits at a lowly 75.

Voodoo Pimp is correct, however- Low Kick surpasses Brick Break by around 3% damage on average to Skarmory. Low Kick even just barely OHKOs Ferrothorn all of the time.
Your calcs are a little off again :p Outrage is 120 base, not 140. So its actually 120 x 1.5 / 2 = 90. So end result is the same, although its slightly weaker than you had first expected.

I also quite like Voodoo Pimp's Low Kick suggestion, I think thats what I'd generally run just because of what you'd tend to use the Fighting move on. Although if you wanted to deal with more general threats, Superpower would be the way to go for the ability to deal with Skarmory as Electrolyte said.

Is it wise to use Giga Drain instead of Tbolt on Genesect? Even with Tbolt, SpD Heatran counters Gene and I cant think of any Pokemon Tbolt handles that GD doesnt (OK, Gyara).

Is it wise to use Giga Drain instead of Tbolt on Genesect? Even with Tbolt, SpD Heatran counters Gene and I cant think of any Pokemon Tbolt handles that GD doesnt (OK, Gyara).
I think I gave myself an aneurysm trying to figure out a mon that it would be worth having T-bolt on instead of Giga Drain. Pelipper X]

OK, seriously. Giga Drain hits annoying pokes like Swampert, Gastrodon, and Rotom-W for SE damage. Flamethrower and Ice Beam cover whatever else might be missing. The only difference it would make is if Giga Drain misses out on KO's or 2HKO's that Thunderbolt is barely able to get.

I think I gave myself an aneurysm trying to figure out a mon that it would be worth having T-bolt on instead of Giga Drain. Pelipper X]

OK, seriously. Giga Drain hits annoying pokes like Swampert, Gastrodon, and Rotom-W for SE damage. Flamethrower and Ice Beam cover whatever else might be missing. The only difference it would make is if Giga Drain misses out on KO's or 2HKO's that Thunderbolt is barely able to get.
Thunderbolt also lets you get a better neutral hit on most things, such as Heatran imo. +1 T-bolt deals over 30% to Heatran, who otherwise either is immune (flamethrower) or quad resists (uturn, bug buzz, ice beam, giga drain) your moves.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
Thunderbolt also lets you get a better neutral hit on most things, such as Heatran imo. +1 T-bolt deals over 30% to Heatran, who otherwise either is immune (flamethrower) or quad resists (uturn, bug buzz, ice beam, giga drain) your moves.
You're right, but Tbolt still does close to nothing anyway, so the difference there isn't large. I think it's jut the fact that Tbolt hits a bit harder to pokemon like Politoed or Vaporeon.

For example:
252 SpA Thunderbolt vs 252/252+ Politoed- 56-66%
252 SpA Giga Drain vs 252/252+ Politoed- 44-52%

252 SpA Thunderbolt vs 248/252+ Vaporeon- 48-56%
252 SpA Giga Drain vs 248/252+ Vaporeon- 36-44%

Thunderbolt barely manages to 2HKO SpDef variants of both, while Giga Drain can not. Why they are sending in water types against Genesect, I have no idea.

You're right, but Tbolt still does close to nothing anyway, so the difference there isn't large. I think it's jut the fact that Tbolt hits a bit harder to pokemon like Politoed or Vaporeon.
That's not exactly true. While Thunderbolt obviously doesn't do enough for Genesect to even consider staying in on a high health Tran, if you happen to be running Spike stacking offense, the results are much more impressive.

+1 252 SpA Hardy Genesect Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Calm Leftovers Heatran : 102-120 (26.49 - 31.16%)

Even with that low damage, Heatran can't actually afford to switch into Genesect - or anything else- more than once if you have SR and two layers of Spikes, since that's already about 60% it's taken. So yeah, Thunderbolt is infinitely superior to Giga Drain.

Onto my question - how do Psyshock and Secret Sword interact with Counter / Mirror Coat? Which one activates against them?

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
On Expert Belt Genesect, Giga Drain is definitely debatable over Thunderbolt. However I believe on a Scarf set it's hard to argue Giga Drain's usefullness. It offers poor coverage, it's relatively weak, and the extra recovery will not help you much. Thunderbolt is much stronger and offers great coverage with Ice Beam. Not only that, but I'd much rather have a landorus come in on my Genesect than a Dragon set up on me while locked into Giga Drain.

Giga Drain is useful on Ebelt Genesect because you can take a hit from Scarf Politoed , take out politoed, and heal a lot of your health back. Thunderbolt may be able to take out Politoed, but the recovery may be necessary in the later portions of the match.

Onto my question - how do Psyshock and Secret Sword interact with Counter / Mirror Coat? Which one activates against them?
At least according to the research thread from the beginning of BW, "Psyshock deals physical damage but substitutes the user's Special Attack in the damage formula instead of their Attack. Is reflected by Mirror Coat and has it's damage halved by Light Screen."

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
That's not exactly true. While Thunderbolt obviously doesn't do enough for Genesect to even consider staying in on a high health Tran, if you happen to be running Spike stacking offense, the results are much more impressive.

+1 252 SpA Hardy Genesect Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Calm Leftovers Heatran : 102-120 (26.49 - 31.16%)

Even with that low damage, Heatran can't actually afford to switch into Genesect - or anything else- more than once if you have SR and two layers of Spikes, since that's already about 60% it's taken. So yeah, Thunderbolt is infinitely superior to Giga Drain.

That's true, but really situational. In general, the ability to hit Heatran is not a reason to run Tbolt over Giga Drain. Also, if you're running spike stacking offense, you should be spamming U-Turn instead, allowing your hazards to pick off threats instead of being locked into a move that's pretty easily punished.

In fact, based on your calcs, it doesn't even seem as if Genesect can 2HKO even after three layers of spikes and SR. The absolute max it does with two Tbolts is 62%, and three layers+SR does 37%. Heatran will live with at least 1%, and then KO you with a fire type attack. Or it can scout you with Protect and regain lefties HP.

Jolly or Adamant Haxorus?

Firstly, if was wondering if Haxorus is still considered OU. Secondly, i am planning to add Haxorus to my team, however, i am not sure if a jolly or adamant choice scarf Haxorus would be better. What kind of Haxorus build( DD, CS, CB, SD) would a jolly nature suit most or is adamant the way to go for any build?

Thanks for your input!

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yes, Haxorus is still considered OU, although the recent release of Genesect has drastically hampered its OU performance. Scarf Haxorus is also overshadowed by Scarf Moxie Salamence, which can gain Atk boosts for every kill. The only set in which Haxorus is not outclassed is possibly its CB or SubSD set @ Life Orb. There's always a benefit in running Jolly to outrun some neutral base 100 Pokemon like Jirachi, Celebi, Ninetales, as well as Gliscor, Kyurem & Deoxys-D. However, if you don't care for Haxorus to beat these mons, then you can't go wrong with Adamant.

Because Haxorus has an odd speed stat (97) it outspeeds nothing important by running max speed so adamant is almost always the better choice. It also means you can take a few EVs out of speed and put them into hp for more bulk. The only exception may be a scarf set; you'd want the most speed possible just in case.

Hello everyone. I have a not so simple question. I didn't know where to post this so I PM'd a moderator and he linked me to this topic.

I posted this on GameFAQs with no real results. Hoping that the community here might prove more fruitful and helpful. :)
Here is what I asked for help there and now ask here:

I used to play these series, ever since it started. I was never into competitive gameplay, as I don't play with real people. That slightly changed with the advent of WiFi battling. While I tried to get into it, I found EV training and IV Breeding (and Legendary reseting and catching to try to get Decent IVs with the right nature) too much work for just getting the satisfaction of the few matches I used to play. I burned out and even though I picked up Platinum I never got to even finishing it.

Due to various factors (DS broke, series started to feel childish, etc.) I never got Black or White. I got a 3DS as a gift from my brother months ago, and as I'm an RPG nut, I recently searched for RPGs on the web. I learned this game was coming and despite the old childish feelings, nostalgia won me over. Preordered it through Amazon with the Guide (yes, I like guides, keep that discussion out of here). It ships on Wednesday and it should take a week to arrive at the earliest so I got time to finish my current game (Golden Sun: Dark Dawn) and start thinking about what to do in this game.

I thought of just playing through the story and just playing against daily NPCs. Afterall, I don't have opponents in real life (serious minded ones at least) and I'm not going to sny tournaments. But the competitive bug is slightly setting in just for enjoying battling in the online community.

I'm an adult in his late 20s. Free time is just an hour (2 if I'm lucky) daily on weekdays. Saturdays I tend to have the night free to myself (so 4-6 hours). Sundays I have more (usually 5-10 hours depending on what I need done).

For team building, I need to think on the following:
1. I need my team to be able to be built up as efficiently as possible and with limited resources (I don't have past games, limited time, etc.)
2. No Legendaries or Uniques: I don't want to reset a lot. With this, I think I'm out of playing what I recall was called the Über Tier (I am rusty). And that's fine by me. Overused or Lower seems better anyway.
3. Pokémon need to be available in Black 2 or White 2 (a local friend is getting White 2). As I have no past games anymore, I only have what I can capture. I would have little to "leverage" trade of rarer older Pokemon.
4. I like rarer strategies. If everyone is using it, it isn't my cup of tea.

With that in mind, what ideas and tips can you guys share? What team ideas?

BurningMan

fueled by beer
if you want to get into competetive pokemon it woukd be the easiest thing to start reading the articles on-site and maybe get a tutor at battle 101. Also since you seem to have little time for ev training/breeding you should try out pokemon showdown smogons official simulator, it allows you to play online against other players without the need to ev train or breed the pokemon you want.

if you want to get into competetive pokemon it woukd be the easiest thing to start reading the articles on-site and maybe get a tutor at battle 101. Also since you seem to have little time for ev training/breeding you should try out pokemon showdown smogons official simulator, it allows you to play online against other players without the need to ev train or breed the pokemon you want.
That last one isn't an option, for now. I don't own a PC and browse the web on mobile devices (3DS and iPhone) and tablets (iPad). I may get a laptop or PC soon due to work, but then again, I don't know if I want to use a work Computer to Game.

With the little free time I have (I'm actually at work at the moment, took a coffe break and checked the forums) I'm not sure I would take into tutoring. Sorry for being so negative, but maybe I don't have the time for this honestly. Maybe I'll just play the game for fun. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)