The Everything NHL Thread

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I don't think anyone was suggesting that the NHL is rigging this games. If they did, they should obviously be more worried about the private citizens. My point is saying "the NHL would never rig its own games" completely ignores the idea that they could be rigged anyway. The NBA didn't rig its own games, but Mr. Donaghy sure found a way to get it done.

Also even though I am still :mad: my Caps Capsed another Game 7 I'm pretty happy with the 8 teams left... if the Leafs and Caps were still alive it'd be pretty much perfect but pretty content with any of the four Western teams, Ottawa, or the Rangers making a deep run, and Pittsburgh making the finals would be fine as long as they play Chicago because that would be an amazing series. It's weird because the lockout usually makes a lot of weird shit happen but the teams left (other than my home team, thanks inexplicable Ducks 2 seed) are all really amazing and are all either teams that have been great for a while or will be great for a while. Kind of a fun year with a couple of the old guard (San Jose, Detroit) mixed in with teams you'd expect will be contending for a long while.

Wish we'd get over the refs though -- pretty over it even as a Caps fan. There's breaks I think we should have gotten in that series but in the end didn't get it done and the officiating is never going to improve. Plus, it's hard for me to be too whiny about the 0 penalties thing when my favorite team was on the bad side of it but my home team was on the good side of it in the other conference... both of which were mistakes like the Tampa/Boston thing.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I don't think anyone was suggesting that the NHL is rigging this games.
I don't know what goes on behind the scenes but I know that both the league and the Refs benefit financially when series go seven games. What business on the planet do companies just let free money disappear in interest of fairness? Why is it so radical to think that officials favor home teams to artificially stretch a series and ensure more work for them? Why is it so radical to believe that the NHL would want a team from the country's biggest media market to advance over the tenth or so media market?
You don't think anyone did but it sounded like it to me and was the one thing I was replying to.

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For fucks sake the reffing in the forst two periods of the bruins rangers game has been bullshit.... Marchand is in around the defense when girardi sticks out a skate theough marchands ankle and its not called but chara is called for hooking for putting his tick next to nash and getting it grabbed? Im starting to see what ovechkin was complaining about ._.

The game as a whole has been pretty bad, one of the worst games the bruins have played all year, thankfully the rangers and lundqvist have been playing down to their level...

I'm definitely a fan of this suspension. Torres needs to take some hitting lessons or something.

The major issue here is the lack of consistency from Shanahan. ALL hits to the head should be suspendable on a tiered level. It's the best way to remove those types of hits from the game completely. First offense: 1 game. Second offense: 3 games. Third offense: 7 games. Eventually people will stop making stupid hits. Just because you aren't explicitly targeting the head doesn't mean it's a safe or respectable hit. Players need to make more responsible hits in general. They shouldn't go for a big hit unless they know for certain that it will be a clean body check.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The only bad thing about playoff hockey is that it's only on NBC after the first round. How many times can that idiot announcer mispronounce "Marchand" and "Seguin" in a different way each time before someone fucking corrects him? This coverage completely sucks. Give me Jack Edwards and NESN back for the love of god

They shouldn't go for a big hit unless they know for certain that it will be a clean body check.
That's pretty easy to say when you don't have millions of dollars and your job depending on stopping the best players in the world from scoring! Also I'm curious about what happens in your system when players who skate with their head down cause a clean hit to become life-threatening.

I remember the only time I had ever seen a complete game with no penalty minutes for either team. Game 7, conference finals between the Bruins and Lightning. Everybody knew the Bruins were better at 5v5 while TB thrived on the PP. Bruins won and ended up winning the Cup. Yeah, it was fishy. I hadnt seen it happen before and I haven't since.edit : Apparently, jrrrrr just mentionned that game as well and calls it one of the best officiated game ever.
It wasn't fishy at all. Just a rare happening, and an incredible game. Nobody came out after the game saying that there were any missed penalties or anything like that either

For fucks sake the reffing in the forst two periods of the bruins rangers game has been bullshit.... Marchand is in around the defense when girardi sticks out a skate theough marchands ankle and its not called but chara is called for hooking for putting his tick next to nash and getting it grabbed? Im starting to see what ovechkin was complaining about ._.
No Bruins fan is allowed to complain about the refs. We would have been shorthanded the whole game if the refs called that game by the books. Marchand alone sacktapped the Rangers captain and punched del Zotto (IIRC) right in the face crossing the blue line, among other things I probably missed from him that didn't get called. There will be plenty of "missed penalties" for both of these physical teams in this series, I guarantee that. So get your phones ready to call the waaambulance

The game as a whole has been pretty bad, one of the worst games the bruins have played all year, thankfully the rangers and lundqvist have been playing down to their level...
Agreed. Lundqvist played like trash the whole game and somehow came out with 45 saves. The Bruins legitimately beat him a dozen times in that game, scoring 3 goals with at least 6 post hits. I don't think he was expecting to see that many shots, he looked more tired than the skaters TBH.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Don't like the Bruins? Give me an avid Rangers fan then. Anyone with emotion ffs. There has to be SOMEONE at NBC who knows how to pronounce "Marchand", someone get him a suit and mic RIGHT NOW

read the jack edwards thing and assumed it was a troll post so i stopped reading
Even when you don't read my posts, they still impact your life enough to make a reply. I didn't realize I still had that kind of sway here. Thank you for brightening my day :)

Also I'm curious about what happens in your system when players who skate with their head down cause a clean hit to become life-threatening.
It's easy to not hit a guy in the head when their head is down. A guy skating with his head down still has a good 5-6' of hitting space that isn't his head. It isn't like skaters are bending down sucking their own dicks.

Examples of how to hit a player with their head down:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlSbP-59j60
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aV7HzSYacw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8M2SNe6siA

Example of how not to hit a player with their head down:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnYIVJUbrgA

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
It's easy to not hit a guy in the head when their head is down. A guy skating with his head down still has a good 5-6' of hitting space that isn't his head. It isn't like skaters are bending down sucking their own dicks.

Examples of how to hit a player with their head down:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlSbP-59j60
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8M2SNe6siA
I was thinking more like the Lindros hit by Stevens, where nobody in the world could have avoided nailing his head without giving up a breakaway chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVeqzYgTELk

The first video is a nice example, although Giroux came from behind Crosby and hit him as he turned perfectly. It was easy for him to plant the hit on the shoulder. The second clip was a goalie taking out someone's legs with a full-body dive...and Hasek was rightfully called for a penalty on that hit. I don't see how that is relevant here.

Uhh...the Stevens hit is about as dirty as they get. How can you have respect for the game when you take a good 10-15 full speed strides and hit somebody up high? The purpose of a hit is to separate a skater from the puck. All you have to do is stick out your arms and push the guy... Even if Lindros had his head as high as possible, it still would've been a ridiculously dirty hit. I'm pretty sure sticking your elbow out as far as possible has nothing to do with the other skater putting themselves in a vulnerable position.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
If Lindros had his head up that would have been a hard shove to the chest instead of an elbow to the head. Lindros was waking up sore the next morning no matter what he did there, but Stevens was no Cooke.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Good playing by Detroit this second period, I managed to find a bit of time to watch the game.

Something I think is interesting in reference to Detroit:

32-34-26
33-29-34
23-24-27
29-24-29

32-29
27-24
30-26

Age of the Red Wings players organized by line/position. Still not a young team by any stretch, but would wager some of those numbers are lower than many people expect.
Italicized numbers have a positive +/-, bold numbers have 4 or more points.

The second line has been pretty underwhelming (Franzen-Flippula-Cleary). Even though they all got the bold there, they average only 5 points over 9 games per player and average a little worse than a -2, which isn't exactly a cup-contending performance for a scoring line. I would expect that line will change quickly in the next year or two with the latter two contracts both ending this year. Cleary has had a pretty strong playoffs (6 points and -1), but I wouldn't be surprised if Detroit lets Fill walk given that he's been poised to breakout for about 10 years now and Cleary probably needs a reduction in his role given his usual irrelevance. Franzen is what's going to hold Detroit back some in the current top 6 -- 4m a year is a joke cap hit, but given that he's already not being super productive it's pretty scary to see him signed until he's 40.

Still, Detroit has to feel good about most of the younger guys here. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Kronwall aging will hurt sooner rather than later, but the rookie line (line 3, which still has an average age of almost 25...) has been pretty productive. While 3 in 9 isn't anything to be writing home about, Smith, Ericsson, and Kindl on D and Nyquist and Andersson up front are all scoring at that pace, so the younger guys are contributing pretty well in spite of limited ice time and a lack of playoff experience. Smith os kind of the question mark here since Detroit probably can't be good in the next few years unless he is, but he's at least having enough good moments to even out the awful ones right now. It's worth noting Detroit's 2nd best defenseman is probably Danny DeKeyser, who hasn't really played at all in the playoffs because of injury (and is 23 hismelf).

Given that Detroit's AHL team is a game away from the AHL conference finals and has some scoring types on it like Tatar(who I expected to see this year) and Jurco, this might actually kinda work out, especially since Detroit probably needs to replace Cleary and Fill on the second line between those two and the current third line. Detroit could definitely have a team next year that doesn't have anyone older than 30 but the three players wearing letters outside of the bottom line/pairing... and Franzens 8000 year contract.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
If Lindros had his head up that would have been a hard shove to the chest instead of an elbow to the head. Lindros was waking up sore the next morning no matter what he did there, but Stevens was no Cooke.
So we can just throw out the window all the careers Stevens ruined/ended, simply because the hits weren't illegal at the time? I disagree. Stevens was a headhunter, and there was a reason nobody else was known for those hits: nobody else had such a lack of respect for opposing players that they'd hit them that way.

This is my favorite hit of all time, and today this would probably earn a suspension (sadly, I can't see putting this on the hitter):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMDKXzfbrYE

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Damn them red wings...

How funny is it to see Toews losing his shit btw...I mean I respect him as a captain but 3 straight penalties...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)