Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if I change my Croagunk's ability from Poison Touch to Dry Skin, will I be able to switch back to Poison Touch if I so wish to? And makes sense about the 'not being able to change non-HA to HA' thing, the ability to do that would be a bit cheap.
Actually, I was wrong. I just tried this out ingame, you cannot change a mon's Ability with the Capsule if it is an HA. (tried it on my Magic Bounce Espeon)

Also, how can you be certain as to what form of Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist you have?
You... really have to just guesstimate it. Catch a couple of Pumpkaboos, and check the Dex. They will record each size if you have them, and then you can check the mons. Each size also has a different cry. And Super size is pretty obvious, if you're going for that.

At 200 BP, the ability to do that would be extremely, extremely expensive.
Honestly, without the ability to unlock Hidden Abilities, the Capsule is a massive waste. It's easier and faster to breed for a new ability than to pick up a Capsule.

Also, I heard that you cannot change a Hidden Ability with an Ability Capsule at all, that you can't change out of it, either. I'd love some confirmation that you can.
Actually, the Capsule is easier to get than you think. I currently have gotten 5 myself due to playing the BM. And, the Capsule is not a complete waste. For example, what if you were breeding for Huge Power Marill, and get one with perfect IVs but has Thick Fat? Ability Capsule to the rescue. Also, point on the last part, I just tested that out and it's true.

Can someone please explain to me what the chances of a Critical Hit are?

This is what I know (info taken from the Kingdra thread):
Stage | chance

1| 6.25%
2| 12.5%
3| 50%
4| 100%

Scope Lens adds +1
Focus adds +2

According to this, my Drapion that's holding a Scope Lens and using a "High Crit" move should be at level 3, which is 50% chance of a crit.
I've been using it for a lot of battles and I can tell ya it's NOT 50% :(
(Or I've been, EXTREMELY unlucky)

Can someone please explain to me what the chances of a Critical Hit are?
This is what I know (info taken from the Kingdra thread):
Stage | chance
1| 6.25%
2| 12.5%
3| 50%
4| 100%
Scope Lens adds +1
Focus adds +2
According to this, my Drapion that's holding a Scope Lens and using a "High Crit" move should be at level 3, which is 50% chance of a crit.
I've been using it for a lot of battles and I can tell ya it's NOT 50% :(
(Or I've been, EXTREMELY unlucky)
My understanding is that those numbers are our best estimates of the actual odds going on. So far as I'm aware, the dataminers haven't cracked the actual values and those are our best guesses.

You're probably just encountering a bit of... is it confirmation bias? I'm sleepy today and can't words so good. Humans are really, really bad at applying statistics to experiences, though.

I mean, we call the attack "Focus Miss" despite a 70% accuracy rating, mostly because we don't remember the times we win when it hits but remember real well the times we lose when it misses.

Hi, i hope this is the right place:

Is there any 6gen Damage Calculator ?
I can't find it anywhere on google and Honkalculator is not updated yet

Is Explosion capable of knocking out Pokemon that don't have high (and I mean HIGH) defense?
Explosion is rarely worth it. Pre-Gen V, it actually counted only half of the defender's defense, and so was occasionally a useful move because it was significantly stronger than its listed BP; however, it lost this property in Gen V and hasn't been worth using since.

There is almost no Pokemon in the game that can carry Explosion, can spare a moveslot for it, and would have a use for it under normal gameplay. Many users just don't have the attack to make it worthwhile, or suffer from 4MSS to begin with; things like Metagross that have the power to make an Explosion hurt are also better off throwing out hits from their STAB attacks or carrying a coverage move instead.

A big part of the problem is just that Normal is a bit of a cruddy attacking type to begin with, and quite a few of the game's physical walls also resist it to some extent. Most things that carry a Normal type attack do so for a little neutral coverage or for STAB.

Hello everyone Im new in the smogon forums
So Does anyone has a ditto friend safari that would like to share?
I have a normal type safari with teddyursa, kecleon & Smeargle.
Well im doing this because i would like to enter in the competitive scene
FC: 5026-5110-3874
Thanks =)

Does it not OHKO special-oriented pokes?
You'd have to run some damage calcs, but from what I remember it doesn't do it any better than SE coverage or STABs.

Metagross and Gigalith (lulz) are the two highest-ATK users. The Gen V writeups actually have movesets for Gigalith that use it, but at the same time, Gigalith was NU and faced less powerful physical threats, and had a crappy movepool.

For Metagross... what does it give up to run it? Coverage or a boosting/support move, all of which are better than Explosion in the long run. Not many special attackers can take more than one or two Meteor Mashes to the face to begin with.

Like I said. It comes down to power (250 BP is not really that great on a self-fainting move; STAB would be nice but only Lickilicky gets that), availability (most things that can use Explosion have mediocre Attack stats) and 4MSS (Metagross has better things to do with his time, like smashing things.)

Also important to note is that there aren't many special-oriented threats that are worth an explosion that won't also make it hard to use the Explosion in the first place. Take this matchup...

252+ Atk Metagross Explosion vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 335-395 (103 - 121.5%)
A clean 1HKO. But...

+1 252+ SpA Hydreigon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Metagross: 418-494 (114.8 - 135.7%)
Specs Hydreigon gets an even cleaner 1HKO and outspeeds.

I wouldn't blow an Explosion for anything short of a threat like that, and in this matchup the only way to pull it off is on the switch. You won't get a revenge kill; your target will just switch out into something tanky that probably still won't get a 1HKO, and that's if you're lucky. If you're not, he'll switch into something like Aegislash and you'll Explode something that will sit there and laugh in your face about it.

It's entirely possible I'm wrong (there may be a new 'mon that's a great user), but as it stands, if we're talking OU-level play, there's no pokemon with the unique combination of high Attack (to make it count), high Speed (so that they can use it as a finisher rather than simply playing as a suicide bomber), and the open moveslot for something so situational.

Well my plan was to use Shiftry and Mega Charizard Y.

The way I undestood it, once he evolved his power could activate Shiftry's power, which would double his speed. Explosion wouldn't be the auto move (especially since I'd want to withdraw Charizard into a Noivern first) but I'd want it as an option if it would take out the other two guys.

I was basically going to give the Shiftry Explosion, Bullet Seed, Foul Play, and Whirlwind. Just a thought.

I'm EV training my Squirtle and i'm not sure what EV's exactly go with Mega-Toise. I'm thinking something along the lines like Sp.Attk and Sp.Def but I also hear Sp.Attk and Speed work well..but speed on Mega-Toise doesn't sound quite right since you're not utilizing his great bulkiness. Could I get some help and suggestions on this? Oh, also can someone tell me the best nature for Mega-Toise as well? thanks in advanced :)

I'm EV training my Squirtle and i'm not sure what EV's exactly go with Mega-Toise. I'm thinking something along the lines like Sp.Attk and Sp.Def but I also hear Sp.Attk and Speed work well..but speed on Mega-Toise doesn't sound quite right since you're not utilizing his great bulkiness. Could I get some help and suggestions on this? Oh, also can someone tell me the best nature for Mega-Toise as well? thanks in advanced :)
You might want to look at the Blastoise thread. Search it in Uncharted Territory.

Otherwise, one set I see people running (me included) is Modest with 252HP/252SpA/4Def. Gives you power and a bit more survivability.

I'm running a team of
Lead Klefki
LO Greninja
Autotomize Aegislash
FG Talonflame
Mega Kangaskhan
but I need a Scarfer. I was considering Latios but I'm weary of him because of fairies. Is Genesect good?

I need a sixth. My team so far is:

Choice Spec Noivern Lead/Revenge Killer
Aroma Blissey Special wall
Mega Mawile Sweeper?
Vaporeon Bulky water Wish Passer
Galvantula Mid-game Webber/ Alternate Lead

What would serve my team best; a rapid spinner, a stealth rocker, or another sweeper?

It was mentioned in 'New Notable Egg Move Combos' thread that Illumise learns Growth + Encore + Baton Pass Combo. Now my question is - if you provide Illumisie Sun support, does Growth buff also passes double boost in Sun to Baton Pass receiver ? Maybe answer is really obvious (like yes, it does), but I'd rather ask someone to be sure. Thx for answer ;).

It was mentioned in 'New Notable Egg Move Combos' thread that Illumise learns Growth + Encore + Baton Pass Combo. Now my question is - if you provide Illumisie Sun support, does Growth buff also passes double boost in Sun to Baton Pass receiver ? Maybe answer is really obvious (like yes, it does), but I'd rather ask someone to be sure. Thx for answer ;).
Yes, the pokemon passed the buffs will have +2 in both attack and SpA

Looking for a Reckless Staravia/Staraptor with Double edge, Moxie Pinsir, and a female Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise.
Offering plenty of 4 IV spitbacks (also have 5 IV Zubat, Abra, Phanpy, Froakie and Skiddo). PM please.

I've been playing Pokebank OU for awhile and came across someone using a Genesect. Overall his team was garbage, but that one Pokemon destroyed me. Is there any chance at all Genesect is going to get banned again? Not to sound like a poor sport, but it's way too good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)