Other XY OU Viability Ranking Thread (V2) (Last update on post #5189)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, this may sound crazy, but I'm nominating
Scizor (Mega) for S-Rank.

This post is somewhat lengthy, look to the bottom for the tl;dr~!
Let's look at the S-classification:
S Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame with little support, and Pokemon who can support other Pokemon with very little opportunity cost ("free turns"). Also the home of Pokemon who can easily perform multiple roles effectively, increasing their versatility and unpredictability. If the Pokemon in this rank have any flaws, those flaws are thoroughly mitigated by their substantial strengths.

Mega Scizor fits these roles perfectly. With a simple set of Swords Dance / Roost / Bullet Punch / Knock Off, not a lot cares to wall it. Let's just see how it fares in S-tier:

Scizor survives a Life Orb Shadow Ball very comfortably, while Knock Off does a huge chunk without a boost and can easily kill it comfortably after a boost. Plus, Scizor can hit it with Knock Off on the switch, if they're expecting a Bullet Punch or U-turn. Scizor also does not care about any of Aegislash's moves and can set up Swords Dance when it uses King's Shield. This is a very good matchup and Scizor almost always will win this battle one on one unless Scizor has been significantly weakened.

Well, Fire Blast instantly kills, however, Charizard cannot switch into Scizor, as Knock Off + Bullet Punch will kill it after a Swords Dance. Bullet Punch also OHKOes by itself after Stealth Rock, but yeah, Mega Scizor should get the hell out of here.

Again, Knock Off + Bullet Punch will kill it after Stealth Rock, but Scizor cannot withstand a Flare Blitz or even a Fire Punch for that matter. However, Mega Scizor can switch in on an Outrage and proceed to revenge kill Charizard, but be wary of this, as Outrage has a high chance to 2HKO after Rocks.

+2 Quick Attack fails to 2HKO, will Bullet Punch will always severely dent it and 2HKO it. +2 Return is a death, however, but +0 Return will only 2HKO. Mega Pinsir doesn't do very well against Scizor, but it can be tough.

Thundurus is always OHKOed by +2 Knock Off, and is 2HKOed by Bullet Punch, while Bullet Punch + Knock Off kills it after rocks without any boosts. Thunderbolt is a clean 2HKO after Rocks, however, so Scizor cannot directly switch in, but it has a good chance of killing Thundurus.

Now onto Mega Scizor itself. Let's just look at Mega Scizor's stats:
70 HP / 150 Atk / 140 Def / 65 SpA / 100 SpD / 75 Spe
Mega Scizor has more bulk than Skarmory, the same Attack stat as Aegislash-Blade, with the Speed faster than Bisharp and the Special Defense of a Celebi, all blended together into one Pokemon. It has the raw bulk to set up on a multitude of things and has just enough Speed to be afford just running few Speed EVs to outspeed Heatran. Speaking of Heatran, Knock Off can cripple Heatran and can OHKO with prior damage, and Scizor shouldn't be staying on Heatran, but if Heatran user predicts this and tries to set up Stealth Rock, you can just nail it with Knock Off and kill it the next turn, getting rid of a huge counter. Mega Scizor has the bulk to reliably Roost and keep itself healthy very often and after a Swords Dance has sky high power. It has priority in Bullet Punch, momentum in U-Turn, and support in Roost and Defog. And Mega Scizor has more than one set, it has many sets, including:

• Physically Defensive
  • Offensive Swords Dance
  • Bulky Swords Dance (my favorite)
  • Defog
  • Offensive Defog
  • Hell, even Baton Pass
And the thing about Mega Scizor is that Scizor is perfectly viable as well, so your opponent is left with a guessing game. Mega Scizor is super bulky, unpredictable, and very powerful. It can sweep or wall, depending on the set, large portions of the metagame. It can perform a multitude of roles, making it very versatile and unpredictable. Mega Scizor only has one sole weakness as well, adding to the greatness, as Fire-types can be handled with teammates, but you don't specifically need one. Scizor doesn't need the most support at all, as it has access to everything a Pokemon needs:
  • Recovery
  • Bulk
  • Power
Not to mention, priority Bullet Punch is still very good in itself. And a lack of weakness to Stealth Rock is very nice, lessening the need of hazard removal (which it can provide itself!) I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that Mega Scizor deserves to be S-Rank.
tl;dr:
  • Bulk
  • Power
  • Variety
  • Recovery
  • Priority
  • Not much team support
  • It supports its team

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Scizor survives a Life Orb Shadow Ball very comfortably, while Knock Off does a huge chunk without a boost and can easily kill it comfortably after a boost. Plus, Scizor can hit it with Knock Off on the switch, if they're expecting a Bullet Punch or U-turn. Scizor also does not care about any of Aegislash's moves and can set up Swords Dance when it uses King's Shield. This is a very good matchup and Scizor almost always will win this battle one on one unless Scizor has been significantly weakened.
That's hardly a good match-up. It's a 50/50 coin flip that depends on whether Aegislash will use KS or outright attack it with Shadow Ball.

Well, Fire Blast instantly kills, however, Charizard cannot switch into Scizor, as Knock Off + Bullet Punch will kill it after a Swords Dance. Bullet Punch also OHKOes by itself after Stealth Rock, but yeah, Mega Scizor should get the hell out of here.
You're contradicting yourself. If Charizard can't switch in because Knock Off and Bullet Punch kill it after an SD.. then it CAN switch in on SD. Charizard just cock-blocks Scizor, and it can Roost up Knock Off's damage easily, force Scizor out, and deal huge chunks to anything that switches in and is not the pink blobs.

Again, Knock Off + Bullet Punch will kill it after Stealth Rock, but Scizor cannot withstand a Flare Blitz or even a Fire Punch for that matter. However, Mega Scizor can switch in on an Outrage and proceed to revenge kill Charizard, but be wary of this, as Outrage has a high chance to 2HKO after Rocks.
Same as CharY, except ZardX cockblocks Scizor even more as it can be the bulky set and burn Scizor (assuming he lacks a fire move).

+2 Quick Attack fails to 2HKO, will Bullet Punch will always severely dent it and 2HKO it. +2 Return is a death, however, but +0 Return will only 2HKO. Mega Pinsir doesn't do very well against Scizor, but it can be tough.
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Scizor: 370-436 (107.5 - 126.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Why would you even Quick Attack instead of using Return? Even if it's 252/252+ Scizor, +2 Return + Quick Attack will always kill it.

Thundurus is always OHKOed by +2 Knock Off, and is 2HKOed by Bullet Punch, while Bullet Punch + Knock Off kills it after rocks without any boosts. Thunderbolt is a clean 2HKO after Rocks, however, so Scizor cannot directly switch in, but it has a good chance of killing Thundurus.
Both can't switch in into each other, so this is irrelevant.

Ok, this may sound crazy, but I'm nominating
Scizor (Mega) for S-Rank.

This post is somewhat lengthy, look to the bottom for the tl;dr~!
Let's look at the S-classification:
S Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame with little support, and Pokemon who can support other Pokemon with very little opportunity cost ("free turns"). Also the home of Pokemon who can easily perform multiple roles effectively, increasing their versatility and unpredictability. If the Pokemon in this rank have any flaws, those flaws are thoroughly mitigated by their substantial strengths.

Mega Scizor can't wall or sweep significant portions of the metagame, it can't even break through common walls like Skarmory, Mandibuzz and Hippowdon while they either pHaze it away, set-up on it, or in Mandibuzz's case, seriously damage it with Foul Play. The SD set is, however, a pretty solid late-game sweeper/cleaner, but that's not enough reason to put it in the S tier.

Now onto Mega Scizor itself. Let's just look at Mega Scizor's stats:
70 HP / 150 Atk / 140 Def / 65 SpA / 100 SpD / 75 Spe
Mega Scizor has more bulk than Skarmory, the same Attack stat as Aegislash-Blade, with the Speed faster than Bisharp and the Special Defense of a Celebi, all blended together into one Pokemon. It has the raw bulk to set up on a multitude of things and has just enough Speed to be afford just running few Speed EVs to outspeed Heatran. Speaking of Heatran, Knock Off can cripple Heatran and can OHKO with prior damage, and Scizor shouldn't be staying on Heatran, but if Heatran user predicts this and tries to set up Stealth Rock, you can just nail it with Knock Off and kill it the next turn, getting rid of a huge counter. Mega Scizor has the bulk to reliably Roost and keep itself healthy very often and after a Swords Dance has sky high power. It has priority in Bullet Punch, momentum in U-Turn, and support in Roost and Defog. And Mega Scizor has more than one set, it has many sets, including:
  • Physically Defensive
  • Offensive Swords Dance
  • Bulky Swords Dance (my favorite)
  • Defog
  • Offensive Defog
  • Hell, even Baton Pass
And the thing about Mega Scizor is that Scizor is perfectly viable as well, so your opponent is left with a guessing game. Mega Scizor is super bulky, unpredictable, and very powerful. It can sweep or wall, depending on the set, large portions of the metagame. It can perform a multitude of roles, making it very versatile and unpredictable. Mega Scizor only has one sole weakness as well, adding to the greatness, as Fire-types can be handled with teammates, but you don't specifically need one. Scizor doesn't need the most support at all, as it has access to everything a Pokemon needs:
  • Recovery
  • Bulk
  • Power
Mega Venusaur has the Special Defense and Defense of Giratina, more HP than Skarmory, excellent defensive typing, neutrality to Ice and Fire attacks thanks to its ability, reliable recovery in Synthesis, Knock Off, Sludge Bomb to counter fairies and Giga Drain to use it as a grass STAB, all in one Pokemon.

Mega Pinsir has more base attack than Aegislash, has a ridiculous ability that turns normal-type moves to Flying, gives them STAB and 1.3 boost, Swords Dance, excellent coverage in Earthquake and Close Combat, Quick Attack, good defensive typing that allows it to check Fighting-types, and incredible Speed.

Mega Tyranitar has a BST of 700, more attack than Slaking, better defensive stats than Skarmory, INCREDIBLE special defense in sandstorm, very good dual STABs, excellent coverage, and access to Dragon Dance.

etc. See where I'm going? Just putting things like that doesn't justify a Pokemon being good or not; you're just overselling Scizor. It still has glaring flaws in 1. all of its sets are countered by the exact same Pokemon 2. incredibly susceptible to burn 3. lacks any real power before a Swords Dance and 4. quad weakness to what you can consider a pretty common attacking type.

I like you and all man but truth is truth, you're overselling Scizor and it's not S-worthy. It's unpredictable, has recovery, strong with SD, can gain momentum, has Knock Off, good stats all-around but it's still got the flaws I mentioned, and that's why it's currently in A an not anywhere below. I could agree with it moving up to A+ but not S.

4x weakness has never been that much of a problem for Scizor outside of random HP Fires. You don't keep scizor in on Charizard, and you don't keep Tyrantiar in on fighting types.

I don't agree with Mega Scizor in S-Rank though, but not because of Charizard.

Easily S-Rank. I disagree with Rotosect even though his posts have like 10 likes lol.

1. I'ma stress this bullet point he most because this is the argument people are mainly focused on. Mega Pinsir has literally no opportunity cost. There is no better option to Mega Pinsir as a sweeper, due to its ridiculously powerful Flying-STAB. You thought +2 Talonflame Brave Bird was hard to handle? Return has 199 BP versus Talonflame's 180P and has 155 Base Atk. That's ridiculous. Its power is so powerful that even common switch-ins like Rotom-W will be ridiculously worn down by a Return.It's ridiculously powerful.

The following calcs use Adamant Nature due to both natures getting pretty much equal usage. There is a 6% marginal differnce between Jolly and Adamant, so keep in mind.

252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 96-114 (31.6 - 37.6%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 156-183 (40.7 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 156-184 (46.7 - 55%) -- 14.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 4 HP / 0+ Def Thundurus: 165-195 (55 - 65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Rotom-W is running a physically defensive Bold spread and it has to some in each time and take a powerful Return. After two of these accounting Leftovers recovery, Mega Pinsir will Swords Dance as it switches and KO it with Return. Zapdos will obviously Thunderbolt on Mega Pinsir,s o Roost is a rather redundant issue. The only true counter to Mega Pinsir is Skarmory (and air balloon aegi) because it can tank even a +2 Return with ease and OHKO back with Brave Bird (iirc). Also, Thundurs-I cannot switch-in sadly.

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 283-333 (73.6 - 86.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 192-226 (63.3 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Zapdos is an absolute BS counter to Mega Pinsir. Once I have done calcs, if it is Specially Defensive (which is like used 80% of the time), I won't hesitate to use Return on it with Stealth Rock damage. Assuming Adamant Nature, Rotom-W is destroyed considering it switches into Stealth Rock and Return on the first use of luring it in. In fact, base form Pinsir can lure Rotom-W and Earthquake it with Mold Breaker, then Mega Evolve and KO it with Return Turn 2 :D

2. Mega Pinsir also needs something to be sacked, to get in a check like Talonflame in safely. That is ridiculous. I can kill something then switch out while my opponent loses a 'mon for free. This is amazing and you are basically combining Manaphy's fundamentals with the immediate power of Mega Pinsir.

3. Also, Mega Pinsir has great typing allowing it to come in on Fighting-type moves with ease from the likes of Keldeo. It has an immunity to ground-type moves meaning it has easy access to Swords Dance's use with these moves commonly choice locked moves. Doe sit have good bulk? I don't know what ya'll are talking about, but 65 / 120 / 90 Defenses are nice letting it easily switch-into things like Bisharp.

4. Mega Pinsir also has a great 105 Base Speed meaning it outpaces and revenge kills key threats like Garchomp and Landorus. It fits and makes powerful cores. It's really good.

5. Mega Pinsir perfectly fits the definition of S-Rank.

Does it sweep the majority of the metagame? Yes. Even its counters are worn down quickly.
Does it have literally zero opportunity cost? Yes, it does.
Does it need little to no support? Yes. Stealth Rock is only hal a problem. Mega Charizard Y is S Rank and is 4x weak to it. At least standard Pinsir is 2x weak to it.

Mega Pinsir easily one of the most powerful 'mons in the OU metagame and there is no reason at all for it to be dropped. It is probably the true definition of a physical sweeper. Keep it in S Rank

I think I'll propose something rather radical. Shoot me down if you want, but I firmly believe this change could happen.

Bisharp for S-Rank.
Warriors do not belong in the medieval upper-class.
Let's face it; Bisharp is one of the most threatening Pokemon in this generation, and its mere presence on a team puts immense pressure on the opponent before the battle even starts. It's great against pretty much every team style; offensive teams can't switch in on Bisharp's extremely powerful Knock Offs, and must be wary of Defogging hazards away (which should always be used with Bisharp) because of Defiant.
To start this off, you said that offensive teams cannot switch in into Bisharps's powerful Knock Offs. To be honestit's actually the opposite. Bisharp can only switch into two common 'mons on HO teams, Latios and Aegislash. Bisharp can only come on in on each of them once.. Bisharp is taking around 69% (lol) from Draco Meteor and Aegislash's Shadow Ball does more than half. There are a ridiculous amount of pokemon that can switch into Bisharp's Knock Off: Keldeo, Hippowdon (this is being used a lot on HO), Mega Scizor, Conkeldurr, Azumarill, Mega Mawile, etc. For stall teams, Ferrothorn makes you lose a lot of damage once Iron Barbs + Leech Seed stacks up.
Sucker Punch also obliterates pretty much everything that might be able to outspeed and KO it, bar Fighting-types who resist it
Please elaborate on "obliterate". Garchomp, Greninja, Heatran, Mega Pinsir, the Zards, etc. can all easily live an LO Sucker Punch. Also, Sucker Punch is really unreliable. Seriously. Advancing to a future quote, but lots of defensive teams use Mega Charizard X which can Will-O-Wisp it and Bisharp is completely useless showing its unreliability. Offensive Heatran with Will-O-Wisp is pretty common too (1/9 of all Heatran have it), so don't say "oh one 'mon big deal lol". Or "two'mons lol big deal" because there is another common stall PKMN called Mandibuzz. Mega Venusaur can tank a +2 Knock Off (seriously it has 97.5 BP with STAB on mega 'mons = con). It can then Sleep Powder it and switch to an appropriate check or just nuke it with EQ.
Defensive teams are in the same boat, constantly worn down by hazards and discouraged from Defogging as there isn't much a defensive team can do once Bisharp obtains +2
This is off-topic, but Thundurus-I is probably your go-to Defiant user with this advancing metagame because it lures in and pretty much sends out ridiculosuly powerful moves like Bisharp except it has Wild Charge (much better typing as an offensive move), lure Power Herb Fly, also has a ridiculously powerful Knock Off, has U-turn which makes it a team player, and it actually can come in and check more useful things. Most defensive teams use Mandibuzz for Defog actually and even at +2, Madibuzz is so bulky it can tank a +2 Iron Head and phaze it out then Roost off any damage. Watch your Deoxys-D becaome a waste of a team slot. Thundurus-I can actually beat Mandibuzz while also wrecking Lati@s too.
Bisharp also completely fucks the most common defoggers. Latias and Latios are helpless against Pursuit
True, but Lati@s will use Draco Meteor and then something like Talonflame can KO it turn 2.
, and the bulkiest Defoggers, namely Mandibuzz and Skarmory, are completely crippled when they take a boosted hit from Bisharp and they can't do anything back to it.
  • +2 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 253-298 (59.6 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recover
It can Whirlwind after and there goes away all your Deoxys-D work. Oh, of course.
  • +2 4 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 165-195 (59.1 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Stall teams are completely obliterated? Switch into SR + 1 layer of Spikes twice (very common scenario; I've used stall and I see this happen a lot) and this is is a 60% chance to OHKO. Or I could weaken Bisharp and kill it later.

Yes, Skarmory can only phaze it, but your haards go to waste again and Bisharp cannot accumalate a +2 again, then stall sets up its own hazards later in the match.

The aformentioned Pursuit is also useful against Aegislash, and because Defiant effectively nullifies King's Shield's drop, it can spam Knock Off/Pursuit against Aegislash without worry. Because of that, Bisharp is the only Pokemon capable of trapping Aegislash.
Pursuit has a ridiculous amount of use on the higher edge of the ladder. Aegislash can scout with King's Shield. If it uses Knock Off, then switch. If Pursuit, then you can live it and OHKO with Sacred Sword. An experienced player using all-out Aegislash will use Aegislash as double switch bait for Bisharp.
Bisharp's presence on a team puts immediate pressure on the opponent, regardless of the team you have. Bisharp is one of those Pokemon that you absolutely need an answer to, and if you don't you'll get completely destroyed.
To be honest, if you have trouble with Bisharp then that's a personal issue. Mega Pinsir, Aegislash, and Mega Charizard Y checks / counters are the same for Bisharp.
- Mega Charizard Y: Choice Scarf Tyranitar , Specially Defensive Hippowdon, Conkeldurr, & Azumarill all counter Zard Y and Bisharp simultaneously
- Mega Pinsir: Thundurus-I, Zapdos, & BU Talonflame
- Aegislash: Mega Venusaur, Bisharp, yea, I think you get the point
Bisharp is checked / countered by some of the moost common Pokemon in OU. There's no reason for it to rise
It's mere presence completely discourages the use of Defog, as most Defoggers have no way to beat Bisharp without sacrificing general utility.
Latios - It can't switch in safely because Draco Meteor does a truck load if it predicts wrong,a nd its commonly paired with Keldeo, so even if it does Defog, it won't completely destroy you. It is a good switch-in if you are lucky not to eat a Draco Meteor, however.
Latias - See above though Draco Meteor does less. However, Bisharp is easy bait for Healing Wish on something weakened that can check / counter Bisharp
Mandibuzz - I've already proved my point here. Even +2 LO Iron Head doesn't even OHKO after Stealth Rock.
Skarmory - Pretty good switch-in actually.
Zapdos - Heat Wave with only 64 SpA (this EV spread is spreading atm) OHKOes after Stealth Rock.
Togekiss - It's a safe switch-in though paralysis sucks and Dazzling Gleam will do a lot.

Bisharp's frailty is one of the common problems of it use too.

rest of the post is all restatement not going to quote

______

Bisharp's power and use of faring well and checking the majority of the metagame are amazing key advantages, but the reasons I provided are not going to make it raise to S Rank.

Bisharp should stay in A+

epikkyogre78

Banned deucer.
Okay, so this is just my personal look... Not based on usage or anything, but Porygon2 in C goes completely against what I've found in my own stall studies. While known for his setting of gravity, trick room and the lot, Pory2 has some unbelievable viability in this meta. Bolt beam coverage is as good as ever, and toxic stall still works satisfactory. Using Trace, Porygon2 gains even more ability in this meta. But let me show you what I've found with a physically defensive Pory2 running Discharge/Ice Beam/Toxic/Recover @Eviolite and trace.

Greninja: Pory2 steals protean... GG enemy team facing BoltBeam stab.
4 SpA Protean Porygon2 Discharge vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Greninja: 240-284 (83.9 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 140-165 (37.4 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Garchomp-mega: Stealing sand force isn't useful. Getting Sand veil from Chomp might work, and rough skin turns this into an essential ohko.
4 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Garchomp: 284-336 (79.3 - 93.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2 in Sand: 135-159 (36 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage
And in a completely impossible situation with the first but showing off anyways:
252+ SpA Mega Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 153-181 (40.9 - 48.3%) -- 9% chance to 2HKO after sandstorm damage
Gyarados-mega: Mold Breaker isn't useful vs Gyara but is nice to have on offhand situations later.
4 SpA Porygon2 Discharge vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 98-116 (29.5 - 34.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 84-100 (22.4 - 26.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after sandstorm damage

Mamoswine: Tracing thick fat is nice, but it should be spamming EQ at you. If anything, it makes a switch a tad easier. Mamos mostly don't run super power this generation, so this is an acceptable risk, and I could probably survive one. Pory2 uses toxic stall. Recover and Toxic go, no set up to fear. If anything, be cheeky and dodge some EQs by knowing it can't go to ice attacks or hit thick fat P2 who completely takes nothing from that.

252+ Atk Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 93-111 (24.8 - 29.6%)

Thundrus-i: Prankster recover/toxic. Nothing more to say.
4 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 164-194 (54.6 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Thundurus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 178-210 (47.5 - 56.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Remember, P2 has prankster to outspeed the second focus blast.

Landorus-t: Intimidate lowers Lando's attacks, Ice beam destroys.
-1 252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 67-79 (17.9 - 21.1%) damage
4 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 324-384 (84.8 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Rotom-w: Levitate is all around goodness, but not good vs rotom-w. This is something P2 simply walls and spams toxic at.
4 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 87-103 (23.2 - 27.5%)
4 SpA Porygon2 Discharge vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-W: 42-50 (13.8 - 16.4%)

Dragonite: Multiscale P2 is kind of impossible to take from full health. Good luck expecting Dnite to do anything with a 4x ice weakness.
4 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 136-162 (41.9 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
4 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 272-324 (83.9 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Dragonite Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 76-91 (20.3 - 24.3%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO after sandstorm damage

Think P2 can't deal with Breloom? Let something else take sleep clause:

4 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Breloom: 204-242 (77.8 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 133-159 (35.5 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage

Have issues with toxic stall Gliscor? Steal poison heal, fear nothing from EQ and Ice beam back while keeping in perfect health.
4 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 344-408 (97.1 - 115.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 54-64 (14.4 - 17.1%)

Check Landorus-i from full HP: If Focus Blast misses, you're left with a 100% Sheer Force Bolt beam attacker.
4 SpA Sheer Force Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 424-500 (132.5 - 156.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 283-335 (75.6 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Destroy Talonflame.
4 SpA Porygon2 Discharge vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 164-194 (55 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 109-130 (29.1 - 34.7%)

Survive/Revenge +2 Mega Pinsir: I know that people like tri-attack to OHKO here, but really, after rocks, Pinsir-mega dies to P2 on a check.
4 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 148-176 (54.4 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 255-301 (68.1 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Latios tries to break you... Enjoy Levitate.
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 192-227 (51.3 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
4 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 124-148 (41 - 49%) -- 15.2% chance to 2HKO after sandstorm damage

Togekiss? Enjoy Serene Grace Ice Beam and Discharge.... Should toxic stall. Gave Toge Aura sphere just to show off.
4 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Togekiss: 90-106 (24 - 28.3%)
4 SpA Togekiss Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 94-112 (25.1 - 29.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Keldeo has an SE fight attack, right? This is more a pinch check, but Discharge getting a para makes this for sure win.
4 SpA Porygon2 Discharge vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 132-156 (40.8 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 144-170 (38.5 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Heatran may not be able to be killed, but it isn't doing anything to you.
4 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 57-68 (15.2 - 18.1%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after sandstorm damage

Oh btw, tracing unaware from Quagsire is nice, and this also counters unaware CM Clefable.

After seeing that, realize these are ALL OU. So please, can we at least get B-? This is a hilarious failure by OU pokemon to deal with a single P2 set.
Ajwf's logic is sound, move Porygon2 to at least B-, possibly B.

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
I'd like to nominate Mienshao for B rank. I believe it is a threatening offensive pivot in the current meta, with access to moves like Fake Out and U-turn, and having an outstanding ability in Regenerator. It also has excellent stats (as fast as Mega Pinsir and as strong as Bisharp) with the useful Fighting offensive typing. It also has the Fighting/Dark coverage (HJK or Drain Punch + Knock Off) that caused Conkeldurr to become so popular. Finally, Mienshao is an S rank UU mon (and probably a future ban from kokoloko), and should probably be at least looked at for that.

I'd like to nominate Mienshao for B rank. I believe it is a threatening offensive pivot in the current meta, with access to moves like Fake Out and U-turn, and having an outstanding ability in Regenerator. It also has excellent stats (as fast as Mega Pinsir and as strong as Bisharp) with the useful Fighting offensive typing. It also has the Fighting/Dark coverage (HJK or Drain Punch + Knock Off) that caused Conkeldurr to become so popular. Finally, Mienshao is an S rank UU mon (and probably a future ban from kokoloko), and should probably be at least looked at for that.
Mienshao is one of those pokemon that seems decent on paper, but in reality I've found that it is underwhelming. It is easy to say that mienshao can cover many of its threats, but this just doesn't work out. Flying-type priority is very common, Aegislash prevents HJK spam, and Fairies, especially Azumarill, are pretty much a complete stop. Stall or defensively inclined teams will never be broken by Mienshao thanks to common constituents such as Mega Venusaur and Clefable, and offensive teams will prey on Mineshao's frailty and inability to switch in. Granted, Mienshao can do some damage once it gets in, but the negative side of HJK means that it must predict perfectly or it goes down. The important question is, why should Mienshao be used over other Fighting-types such as Conkeldurr, Terrakion, and even Keldeo? The answer in my opinion is Regenerator, which, while it is a great ability, is not nearly enough for B rank. If it must be ranked, I'd say somewhere in C is the highest it belongs.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
I think people who are opposed to moving Mega Pinsir down are those who have yet to adapt to it.
Remember when I said "Guys, M-Venusaur is good and all but it's really no S-rank material?". People thought it could wall everything, it didn't care about status, it didn't care abut hazards, it could cripple the entire metagame and it pretty much was the ultimate wall in OU. Over time more and more ways to keep it in check gained popularity (such as Kyurem-B and Psychic Manaphy) until Mega Venusaur was no longer deemed S-rank. Those very same arguments were used to move Mega Venusaur down, even though they were dismissed at first!
Mega Pinsir is undergoing the same treatment. There are those who have adapted to it and no longer consider it a S-rank threat, but I guess not everyone has reached that point yet judging from these comments. It really isn't that hard to keep in check, and I'm not talking about using specific pokemon that otherwise have no niche in OU.
Anyway I'm not going to start a crusade against Mega Pinsir's placement now, but when the time comes I'll just say "I told you".

Last edited:
I think people who are opposed to moving Mega Pinsir down are those who have yet to adapt to it.
Remember when I said "Guys, M-Venusaur is good and all but it's really no S-rank material?". People thought it could wall everything, it didn't care about status, it didn't care abut hazards, it could cripple the entire metagame and it pretty much was the ultimate wall in OU. Over time more and more ways to keep it in check gained popularity (such as Kyurem-B and Psychic Manaphy) until it Mega Venusaur was no longer deemed S-rank. Those very same arguments were used to move Mega Venusaur down, even though they were dismissed at first!
Mega Pinsir is undergoing the same treatment. There are those who have adapted to it and no longer consider it a S-rank threat, but I guess not everyone has reached that point yet judging from these comments. It really isn't that hard to keep in check, and I'm not talking about using specific pokemon that otherwise have no niche in OU.
Anyway I'm not going to start a crusade against Mega Pinsir's placement now, but when the time comes I'll just say "I told you".
I completly agree with you. I've accually seen a patern, a kind of cycle with the competitive community. For example, picture gen 5, Preety rainy place, with rampant washing machines running around. This pokemon, (Rotom-W if you haven't got it yet) attracted its counters to move up in tiers. One prime example is gastrodon, a pokemon never fit for the OU metagame, deemed worthy becuase of another pokemon. As you said, Cube was brought up in ranking becuase of venasaur, another example. However, now that Venasuars usage has gone down, It's counters also go down in usage. This is not a bad thing, as It allows certain pokemon to shine, and allows more versatility with teams. The community cannot stop this from happening, as it is a normal thing. But what we can do is not deem a pokemon unviable becuase of its counters and checks being used more often, because of that pokemons use entirely.

I think Mega Pinsir is as one-dimensional as you can get while still be S-ranked. It hits so damned hard and has STAB priority. It has exactly one viable set but that set can only be countered by a handful of specific pokemon, said Pokemon having to be at very high health to do so. Rotom-W (sort of), Skarmory, Zapdos, Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Aggron, Rhyperior, Hippowdon, Mandibuzz: these are the only things I'm aware of that can counter Pinsir somewhat reliably. Yeah you can check it with like Scarfchomp or Talonflame or whatever, but it's easy to check something.

Running Psychic on Manaphy, Extrasensory on Greninja, HP Flying on Keldeo; these are things people have done to adapt to Mega Venusaur. But there's nothing really you can do to "adapt" to Mega Pinsir except run a counter to it, and there's not a lot of options. It's one of the most reliable win conditions in the game.

Last edited:
I remember myself making a case for Salamence for B- rank in the previous thread because its DD set can KO any bulky ground with Dragon Claw followed by Hydro Pump without having to explicitly predict the switch to nail them, which is something that no other physical dragon sweeper is capable of doing, which makes it a good lure/partner for other physical sweepers. One of the more popular counter arguments that prevented it from moving up is that it is not worth running Hydro Pump over Fire Blast when Genesect is everywhere. With the current metagame shift, Genesect is obviously banned, Ferrothorn is less common, while bulky Grounds like Hippowdon are seeing more usage; Scizor beats it either way. This gives it more incentive to run Hydro Pump over Fire Blast, which gives it a niche over its competitors. However, after the metagame shift, it is finding itself much harder to get sweeps, which means its role has been mostly reduced to only a lure, and less of a sweeper. But being an effectively lure for relevant defensive threats, it should probably still be ranked, despite what some has mentioned in the previous page. Overall, C+ does seem like a suitable position for it now, in the current metagame.
I'm thinking Excadrill should drop half a rank to A-. Being the best spinner is cool, but it often finds itself having a lot of trouble to spin against almost everything from A to S rank.
Here's a list of match-up of Excadrill against top tier Pokemons:
S Rank:
Bold for can spin safely
Blue for can defeat
Italicised for may or may not be able to spin depending on variant

Aegislash - Variants with Sacred Sword always 2HKO with Sacred Sword + Shadow Sneak (even with 0 Atk EV, even Shadow Ball hits it hard; Excadrill struggles to OHKO with EQ, and cannot spin.
Charizard (Mega-Y) - Fire Blast
Charizard (Mega-X) - Flare Blitz
Pinsir (Mega) - Earthquake KO's unless Air Balloon Variants, which it still can 2HKO with Return
Thundurus-I - Focus Blast and Superpower

A Rank:

A+ Rank

Azumarill - CB Aqua Jet
Bisharp - Excadrill wins
Deoxys-D - Excadrill wins

Deoxys-S - Superpower
Garchomp / Garchomp (Mega) - Earthquake
Gyarados (Mega) - Waterfall
Heatran - Excadrill only defeats/spins against SDef ones
Keldeo - Both STAB
Kyurem-B - Earth Power 2HKOs, Iron Head does not OHKO
Landorus-I - Focus Blast for Air Balloon ones, Earth Power for grounded ones
Landorus-T - Earthquake for grounded ones, Knock Off deals more than 50% on Balloon ones

Manaphy - Surf
Mawile (Mega) - Sucker Punch has a good chance to KO slightly weakened ones, but otherwise Excadrill wins
Scizor (Mega) - Excadrill struggles to deal significant damage to Scizor, but can spin though
Talonflame - Flare Blitz
Tyranitar (Mega) - Earthquake
Venusaur (Mega) - Earthquake doesn't OHKO, so it can spin

A Rank

Clefable - Excadrill wins
Excadrill - Relies on speed tie to spin
Greninja - Hydro Pump
Hippowdon - Earthquake, and can always set up SR again after being spun
Latias - Excadrill can spin only if it lacks Surf
Latios - Excadrill can spin only if it lacks Surf

Mandibuzz - Can spin
Rotom-W - Not guaranteed spin depending on variant
Scizor - Superpower KOs
Tyranitar - Earthquake KOs

A- Rank

Chansey - Can spin
Conkeldurr - Mach Punch/Drain Punch
Dragonite - Earthquake
Gengar - Focus Blast
Gyarados - Waterfall
Mamoswine -Earthquake
Skarmory - Can spin, but it can set up again
Terrakion - Close Combat

At the end of the day, there are only 4 targets where it can defeat safely, 6 where it can afford to spin, and 7 where it have to rely on the set to spin safely. As an offensive hazard remover, it simply does not do it reliably to be useful, especially when hazard removal is absolutely necessary for the likes of Talonflame, Charizard etc. In addition, the usage of Excadrill makes at least 2 members of the team weak to EdgeQuake, which is not very nice to have. The scarf set is cool and all in that it beats more targets, and can spin against more targets, but none of its moves are particularly great to get lock into, and can easily be exploited when the set is revealed. On the whole, Excadrill does not do a very reliable job in removing hazards, especially when many top threats needs the hazard removal to be useful. Hence I think it should drop to A-.
Diggersby should move up half a rank to B+. It has great offensive STAB with high powered moves, and having damage output greater than MPinsir. The only reason why it is not A- is due to its middling speed and being prone to common priority moves.
Staraptor should at least move up to B+ as well, it's CB set is ridiculously hard to switch into and is a fantastic wallbreaker, hitting harder than and is just about as hard to switch into as Charizard-Y. Even resists like Tyranitar struggles to switch into Staraptor since Brave Bird is a 2HKO after SR.
It might be facing competition with Pinsir for Flying spam teams due to it being able to sweep more easily, but its raw wallbreaking power means B- is severely underrating its potential.
Finally I think Crawdaunt should be moved to B- or even B, again for its wallbreaking power. For CB Crawdaunt, as long as gets a switch in against something slower, it is almost guaranteed to completely fck up something with that absurdly powerful Knock Off, which is even capable of 2HKO-ing the likes of Skarmory. Crawdaunt is also one of the few physical attackers that completely doesn't give a shyt about King's Shield, for it can KO even at -2. It's Life Orb set is also ridiculously hard to switch into because Knock Off + Aqua Jet can 2HKO a lot of switch ins. If in the rain, it has a ridiculously powerful Crabhammer that is capable of even 2HKO-ing the likes of 252/252+ Ferrothorn, or it can go Swords Dance and clean up late game like BD Azumarill.

Remember when I said "Guys, M-Venusaur is good and all but it's really no S-rank material?". People thought it could wall everything, it didn't care about status, it didn't care abut hazards, it could cripple the entire metagame and it pretty much was the ultimate wall in OU. Over time more and more ways to keep it in check gained popularity (such as Kyurem-B and Psychic Manaphy) until it Mega Venusaur was no longer deemed S-rank. Those very same arguments were used to move Mega Venusaur down, even though they were dismissed at first!
Is there a reason why this logic can't be applied to every single pokemon in the metagame?

Aegislash for rank A+, since it's only S because people haven't adapted to it yet. But they will. Some day.

Last edited:
One thing about Aegislash is how versatile it is. You can't really "adapt" to it, especially not when fucking TOXIC STALL SWARD is a thing, which lets it beat counters like Mandibuzz and Hippowdon.

Still, I think Mega Pinsir is S, just because of how hard its one single set is to handle.

Remember when I said "Guys, M-Venusaur is good and all but it's really no S-rank material?". People thought it could wall everything, it didn't care about status, it didn't care abut hazards, it could cripple the entire metagame and it pretty much was the ultimate wall in OU. Over time more and more ways to keep it in check gained popularity (such as Kyurem-B and Psychic Manaphy) until Mega Venusaur was no longer deemed S-rank. Those very same arguments were used to move Mega Venusaur down, even though they were dismissed at first!
Well, moving Mega Venu down was a TC decision, there were alot of people here who wanted it to stay, I was one of them and I still think it was wrong simply because the whole argument you are using here, for Pinsir and for Venu (and the argument TC used) is just plain wrong. Going by that logic there cant be any S Rank threat because any half decent team is prepared to take on everything in the S tier, its realy not that hard to make Aegisslash useless, the Charizards can easily be dealt with and why Thundurus is S rank... well i never understood that anyway.

From my understanding the tiers are supposed to show how good/viable a mon is, and for a sweeper to be viable he has to be dangerous, the more the better. And there is NO sweeper in the tier thats more dangerous than Pinsir. Yes it can be stopped, everything can, but as long as you dont slap a full def skarm on all your teams you will never be completely save from it. It puts so much pressure on the opponent because of that hilarious dmg potential it has combined with an amazing speed tier AND priority. The fact that it has just 1 save counter and that many teams have to rely on revengekilling most of the time proves that.

And even if I were to agree with the Venu argument, it cant be applied to Pinsir. Mega Venu is such a huge threat that teams started to use multiple psychic/flying attacks on pokemon that wouldnt even consider to use them if it wasnt for Venu. TC used that to demote Venu, for me its just proof of how incredibly good that thing is, especially because its still very dangerous despite all those psychic/flying moves running around.
However, from what I can see such a development is missing for Pinsir. Skarms usage didnt went through the roof and the pokemon that used to stop Pinsir 2 months ago are still doing it. Nothing changed in the meta that would make Pinsir less viable or lets say I dont see such changes, feel free to tell me what exactly changed in the meta that makes Pinsir less viable.

Last edited:
Bisharp (after a SD your Team is down, it can trap u with pursuit and has prio with sucker punch, you can't switch in good because of knock off) and Talonflame (prio brave bird can destroy teams, it can heal himself with prio roost and can boost with SD) for S. Furthermore the normal t-tar (can trap with pursuit, has an excellent coverage with stuff like ice beam, crunch, eq, earth power, thunderbolt, stone edge and flamethrower, it can destroy teams after 1-2 dds).

One thing about Aegislash is how versatile it is. You can't really "adapt" to it, especially not when fucking TOXIC STALL SWARD is a thing, which lets it beat counters like Mandibuzz and Hippowdon.

Still, I think Mega Pinsir is S, just because of how hard its one single set is to handle.
That was an ironic post, just saying.

Mega Venu is A+ because people underate stall mons. Simple as that. You need to be the god of the indestructible walls if you want to be ranked S as a wall. While for sweepers the bar is raised much lower. Look at Quagsire in the C-rank, and Chansey in the B-Rank for example, these pokemons are staples of the stall style, being able to outstall anything to death in a stall team, and they are in ranks labeled as "easy to prevent from doing their jobs".

Easy to prevent my ***, I just lost a 150 turn battle where a Quagsire and a Slowbro literally PP stalled me until the end. A have a lot more trouble dealing with those than with many of the A-rank mons.

The almighty Bisharp that people are asking to put in S can literally be killed by anything with a strong special attack and non-terrible bulk. There's no way in hell that thing is more dangerous than Mega Venusaur.

People need to stop acting like Offense is the default metagame while Stall is just a niche. Stall has made a comeback and is crushing balanced teams left and right.

Last edited:
Mega Venu is A+ because people underate stall mons. Simple as that. You need to be the god of the indestructible walls if you want to be ranked S as a wall. While for sweepers the bar is raised much lower. Look at Quagsire in the C-rank, and Chansey in the B-Rank for example, these pokemons are staples of the stall style, being able to outstall anything to death in a stall team, and they are in ranks labeled as "easy to prevent from doing their jobs".
No need to tell me that, i made a post in the old topic about that problem. But it wasnt the "official" reason for demoting venu.

No need to tell me that, i made a post in the old topic about that problem. But it wasnt the "official" reason for demoting venu.
The post wasn't exactly directed at anyone, anyway. I don't mind if Mega Venu stays A+, but I can easily see in it S, much more than Bisharp.

Also Quagsire needs to be B+ or B. Slowbro needs to be at least B+. Sylveon should be somewhere in the A ranks, either A or A-. Chansey is one of the best mixed walls in the game and should be A or A-. Umbreon needs to be ranked too, somewhere on C, it can wall a lot of things. And Deoxys-D needs to be promoted to S already (though that's more of an offensive mon, but the point still stands). These pokemon are as good on stall teams as most of the A-rank pokemon are on offensive teams.

It's time for people to start recognizing stall as the threat it is.

Last edited:
Can Wigglytuff be D rank or C- rank? It received the ability Competitive(special counterpart to Defiant), was given Normal-Fairy typing which makes it so he has no real counters, got 10 more to his Special Attack, and he has a gigantic movepool(being a normal type). The cons are he heavily relies on Competitive to even be a threat, he gets easily worn out when using Competitive, and he has mediocre stats. I have seen a few Wigglytuffs by the way and since I had the Sticky Web, and Mawile with Intimidate, and Mandibuzz with Defog, that stupid balloon wrecked my team!

So an extremely situational niche Pokemon trying to copy Bisharp.

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
I think I'll propose something rather radical. Shoot me down if you want, but I firmly believe this change could happen.

Bisharp for S-Rank.

Let's face it; Bisharp is one of the most threatening Pokemon in this generation, and its mere presence on a team puts immense pressure on the opponent before the battle even starts. It's great against pretty much every team style; offensive teams can't switch in on Bisharp's extremely powerful Knock Offs, and must be wary of Defogging hazards away (which should always be used with Bisharp) because of Defiant. Sucker Punch also obliterates pretty much everything that might be able to outspeed and KO it, bar Fighting-types who resist it.
Defensive teams are in the same boat, constantly worn down by hazards and discouraged from Defogging as there isn't much a defensive team can do once Bisharp obtains +2.
Bisharp also completely fucks the most common defoggers. Latias and Latios are helpless against Pursuit, and the bulkiest Defoggers, namely Mandibuzz and Skarmory, are completely crippled when they take a boosted hit from Bisharp and they can't do anything back to it. The aformentioned Pursuit is also useful against Aegislash, and because Defiant effectively nullifies King's Shield's drop, it can spam Knock Off/Pursuit against Aegislash without worry. Because of that, Bisharp is the only Pokemon capable of trapping Aegislash.
Bisharp's presence on a team puts immediate pressure on the opponent, regardless of the team you have. Bisharp is one of those Pokemon that you absolutely need an answer to, and if you don't you'll get completely destroyed. It's mere presence completely discourages the use of Defog, as most Defoggers have no way to beat Bisharp without sacrificing general utility. Bisharp is a crucial member of Deoxys offense teams, and the unique and powerful pressure it provides against the opponent along with being absurdly powerful and difficult to counter makes up for Bisharp's flaws, making it worthy of S-Rank in my eyes.

I'm not the most well versed in OU and I probably could have been more elaborate on some points as I'm not as experienced a battler as most others, though I have used Bisharp pretty extensively and have knowledge of its capabilities. If you want to dispute me, go ahead but I firmly believe that Bisharp is one of the most influential and threatening offensive Pokemon in the current metagame due to its unique capabilities, probably only second to Charizard in terms of the offensive pressure that it can exert on the enemy. It definitely deserves S-rank.
Agreeing with Arikado's points, and adding one more, in that the use of Sucker Punch can often lead to forced predictions-"Will that Kyurem-B substitute, or Earth Power?" "Hm, I wonder if that Rotom has speed creep..." "Talonflame? Oh joy."

Mienshao is one of those pokemon that seems decent on paper, but in reality I've found that it is underwhelming. It is easy to say that mienshao can cover many of its threats, but this just doesn't work out. Flying-type priority is very common, Aegislash prevents HJK spam, and Fairies, especially Azumarill, are pretty much a complete stop. Stall or defensively inclined teams will never be broken by Mienshao thanks to common constituents such as Mega Venusaur and Clefable, and offensive teams will prey on Mineshao's frailty and inability to switch in. Granted, Mienshao can do some damage once it gets in, but the negative side of HJK means that it must predict perfectly or it goes down. The important question is, why should Mienshao be used over other Fighting-types such as Conkeldurr, Terrakion, and even Keldeo? The answer in my opinion is Regenerator, which, while it is a great ability, is not nearly enough for B rank. If it must be ranked, I'd say somewhere in C is the highest it belongs.
Fair enough, although on the point of Flying-type priority, Mienshao makes an excellent lure, as it has access to Stone Edge (which can easily OHKO Talonflame, or even a non-Mega Pinsir). The same could be said for Clefable with Poison Jab, although it's admittedly rarely worth sacrificing the coverage or utility. And you're accurate in saying its edge over other Fighting-types is Regenerator, but it's also U-turn/Fake Out, making it and Infernape the only usable mons in the tier with access to it. I can see putting in B- or C+, but it's certainly more useful than, say, Mega Ampharos, Espeon, or Celebi (all C+ rank). So I amend my initial post to Mienshao for B- or C+ rank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is mienshao even getting an OU analysis? If not, then it shouldn't be ranked at all regardless if it is an S rank in UU. It's outclassed pretty much entirely by terrakion in OU so I fail to see how it is viable at all. Even Infernape is a better choice.

Is mienshao even getting an OU analysis? If not, then it shouldn't be ranked at all regardless if it is an S rank in UU. It's outclassed pretty much entirely by terrakion in OU so I fail to see how it is viable at all. Even Infernape is a better choice.
How is it outclassed by either of these two? None of these have Knock Off or Regenerator and Mienshao is a much better pivot than these two. Mienshao plays a completely different role from Terrakion and is stronger than Infernape and has an easier time switching out with U-turn because of Regenerator, a Stealth Rock resistance, and it doesn't carry a Focus Sash. Mienshao is also a better Choice Scarf user than the other two with Regenerator U-turn and spammable Knock Off. If it doesn't have an OU analysis yet, someone needs to get on that because it definitely needs to be ranked here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)