SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

SnoopingGil

professional lurker
Perhaps the father is constantly busy working. After all, someone in the family has to make money; as unrealistic as Pokemon is, keeping a household together without any source of income is really stretching it.

Speaking of missing family members, do any of the player characters have canon siblings? I can't think of a single one. (In fact, why has Game Freak never thought of making the opposite-gender protagonist the player's sibling? It ties up potential alternate universes very nicely.)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hmm, I never really thought about it, or if I did I shrugged it off. Hmm, I can't come up with an answer. as Hulavuta said it doesn't really help you anymore to insert yourself into your character whether you had a father or not. Infact, in recent games they even began giving your mother a backstory and sometimes a name. In DPP your mother is named Johanna who was a Pokemon Contest star (and friends with Fantina), in BW your mother said she was a trainer (and on her journey is when she encountered your father, another trainer at that time), in BW2 your mother was a Pokemon Center receptionist and been all around Unova, and in XY your mother is named Grace who's a famous Rhyhorn Racer (and its her being a Rhyhorn Racer that convinced Sycamore to give you the Pokedex to get you away so he can bang your mom). So if the intention was to provide a blankest slate as possible they sort of failed being two of your moms are famous.

So why only a mother yet not a father? Well it is sort of implied that being a trainer is sort of a job so your father could be on his own journey. The Pokemon World seems to be some kind of utopia society where it's not really a questionable thing for a parent to be away from his family for a long period of time on a journey battling with magical monsters. Norman's Gym isn't in Littleroot but rather two cities away in Petalburg, Palmer is off on a secluded island being the Tower Tycoon and probably hasn't come home in years judging by the way Barry and him act upon seeing each other (and if I remember correctly Palmer and your father were friends and your friendship with Barry is compared to their friendship), Janine is left to run the Fuschia Gym while her father Koga is off being a member of the Elite Four (and not to mention all the other kid Gym Leaders). It seems like your father just so happens to be a trainer who's off on a journey and your rival's father either retired or never got into being a trainer. Heck, what parent would let their child run around an entire country and or explore the world on their own and wielding magical monsters that have the capability of causing mass destruction?

But why is the mother there? Well between the two parents a child would have a "stronger" connection with their mother being they're the ones who gave birth to them. Now I know for some people that's not true, family situations are complicated, but in the Pokemon world, at least for the character you're playing, they have mother at home who had taken care of them. The mother is there for pretty much moral support and say it's okay for you to go out and explore the world. It's nice to see them being given more backstory, but for the most part they're just there to give you permission to go on a journey so that you in real life aren't thinking "shouldn't I have some kind of parental guide with me?". Why, no, because your mother said it was okay to go on your own!

Also of your XY rivals we only don't know anything about Tierno. Your opposite gender rival lives in Vaniville Town (has father & mother), Trevor is from Lumiose City (father, mother, older sister), and Shauna's father can be found in Snowbelle City (or at least is implied to be her father, no mother though).

Speaking of missing family members, do any of the player characters have canon siblings? I can't think of a single one. (In fact, why has Game Freak never thought of making the opposite-gender protagonist the player's sibling? It ties up potential alternate universes very nicely.)
Nope, can't think of a single one. Them being your sibling is one way to use them in the game (would they be your twin though?), though I'd always saw them being used as your cousin if they were to be made related to you (since your both suppose to be the same age).

Nope, can't think of a single one. Them being your sibling is one way to use them in the game (would they be your twin though?), though I'd always saw them being used as your cousin if they were to be made related to you (since your both suppose to be the same age).
There isn't one in the main series but Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness has Jovi, your sister (in addition to your mom).

Come to think of it, that game also doesn't have a missing dad, since he is stated to be deceased (and you got your Eevee from him).

Well, we know that Red has a dad that he personally knows as he mentions that his dad would like something in Celadon Department Store (I think it was a video game, but I can't remember). There are a few possibilities for why we don't see him:
1) He is separated from Red's mom, which includes divorce. (One possibility is that he lives in one of those buildings we can't access in Saffron City.)
2) He just always happens to be at work when you visit home (there isn't a day/night cycle in the Kanto games, plus you rarely see Norman home in the Hoenn games so who knows). As far as we know, he could be on a business trip during the events of the games we can visit Pallet Town in.
3) He is currently on his own Pokémon journey.

(My money is on the first two)

What about the other unknown fathers? Well, the above theories make sense in those cases as well, but since we don't get any real references to them, this adds a fourth possibility:
4) He is dead. (Ain't I a beacon of happiness?)

Arceus can't breed
Correction: Arceus can't breed with Pokémon. Think about it.

It is known that Michael, the protagonist of XD: Gale of Darkness, had his Eevee given to him and that other NPCs mention his father, at least in the HQ. They also heavily imply that he is dead, so there is another father that we know about in whatever that game counts as.

Finally got a sPoOkY mYsTeRy for Halloween.

Okay, most know about the spooky house on Route 14 of X/Y? In case you forgot, it's a house in the swamp where you and your friends go to hear an old man tell a SpOoKy TaLe about a HORDE OF FACELSS MEN! And then he demands a tip for it. In-game and out of game it's pretty lame.

But the horde of faceless men isn't just some random thing the guy got off a 5th grader's creepypasta post, it may be a reference to the Japanese yokai Noppera-bo. Noppera-bo is a faceless ghost that likes to impersonate people familiar to the victim, only with a blank slate where the face should be.

But that's it. Just a blank face to scare people. No soul-sucking, no curses, no-nothing. Just pulling a no-face for some cheap scares. Noppera-bo are harmless.

Maybe they made the story lame to coincide with a lame monster? Anyway, I hope I got all of Noppera-bo's details right as I'm not Japanese myself. Kind of an obscure reference they pulled here to be sure.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Finally got a sPoOkY mYsTeRy for Halloween.

Okay, most know about the spooky house on Route 14 of X/Y? In case you forgot, it's a house in the swamp where you and your friends go to hear an old man tell a SpOoKy TaLe about a HORDE OF FACELSS MEN! And then he demands a tip for it. In-game and out of game it's pretty lame.

But the horde of faceless men isn't just some random thing the guy got off a 5th grader's creepypasta post, it may be a reference to the Japanese yokai Noppera-bo. Noppera-bo is a faceless ghost that likes to impersonate people familiar to the victim, only with a blank slate where the face should be.

But that's it. Just a blank face to scare people. No soul-sucking, no curses, no-nothing. Just pulling a no-face for some cheap scares. Noppera-bo are harmless.

Maybe they made the story lame to coincide with a lame monster? Anyway, I hope I got all of Noppera-bo's details right as I'm not Japanese myself. Kind of an obscure reference they pulled here to be sure.
Pokemon putting in references to obscure Japanese mythology in their game?

That is odd for them to do. Also when I think of a faceless figure stalking you I think of this:

I've heard it's not so harmless...

Mod Edit: Nope nope nope nope nope

Last edited by a moderator:
That thing is not a HE. It is an IT, as the page reminds you, and in the Undiscovered Egg Group.

I personally am wondering what the heck is up with the Ghost Girl and how she is somehow associated with Rotom (I'm pretty sure she'll give you a Rare Candy if you bring her a Rotom on a Tuesday.)

That thing is not a HE. It is an IT, as the page reminds you, and in the Undiscovered Egg Group.

I personally am wondering what the heck is up with the Ghost Girl and how she is somehow associated with Rotom (I'm pretty sure she'll give you a Rare Candy if you bring her a Rotom on a Tuesday.)
It does nothing. She has no trigers attached to ger dialogue. Well according to some folks that said to have tampered with the games.

You mean the creepy 'ghost' in one of the Lumiose buildings that uses the Hex Maniac class model and says, "No... You're not the one..." and then vanishes? Pretty sure she never appears again after the first time, regardless if you're carrying a Rotom...

I heard on multiple forums that if on your FIRST encounter you do that, you get a candy. But I could easily be wrong.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
You mean the creepy 'ghost' in one of the Lumiose buildings that uses the Hex Maniac class model and says, "No... You're not the one..." and then vanishes? Pretty sure she never appears again after the first time, regardless if you're carrying a Rotom...
Well... in Hotel Richissime there is another Hex Maniac standing in one of the floors, intently listening for the elevator. When you approach her, she shushes you away saying she can't hear the elevator.

There also is a building in Lumiose City where you can take the elevator to the second and fourth floor, but not the third (if I recall correctly). My pet theory is that the ghost has some connection to elevators, possibly to the "missing" third floor in that building. It seems like she walks from building to building, trying to take the elevator to the third floor to find somebody.

I think it all has some connection to the "I'm going to go for help. Wait in the usual place." message from Lumiose Station. The missing third floor could be the "usual place", and the ghost could be the one going for help (maybe even having died in the process).

I mentioned this in the ORAS thread but it's worth a mention here too.

In the demo, when you get the nugget mission and access to Steven's house there's a little easter egg inside. If you check the east wall, each of the stones there is a unique element from the other regions (like Rock Tunnel - Kanto, Mt. Mortar - Johto, and Chargestone Cave - Unova). Kind of cool, since most pokemon games don't give little house details like that (everyone seems to have the same interior decorator).

or maybe it's a reference to Steven's double life as a crystal gem Why do you think he likes rocks so much?

With a new game out, it's high time to revive the Mysteries Thread - ORAS Edition.

For those who don't remember or are new, this thread is for finding easter eggs, hidden secrets, or answering the unexplained aspects of pokemon with our own fan theories. While I would like to see some ORAS talk, this thread is for everything pokemon, including spin-off games, anime, real-life events, manga, etc.

As always try to keep it civil and remember when dealing with fiction all things are equally real (so critique a fan theory, but don't criticize unless it goes against direct game canon, like Pikachu being a dragon type for an outrageous example. Everyone can fill in the blanks however they want, even if it differs from your answers).

I want this thread to outlast myself, but here's some discussion points given by ORAS to get going:

1. Zinnia and Episode Delta raised a lot of new material regarding mega evolution and the existence of parallel worlds that had been alluded to before. How do you think this effects the game timeline?

2. Rumor has it that a ghost girl appears in a chair during Pheobe's intro speech before you fight her. Can anyone confirm this?

3. Why does Shalor Sable show up a game after the city it's from debuted?

4. There are a bunch of Frontier Brain cameo's despite no battle frontier. How many have you found?

5. The shiny Beldum gets a lot of cameo responses from certain people, including one linking to the pokemon anime. Have you found them?

Well, good luck cracking these mysteries, gumshoes!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
With a new game out, it's high time to revive the Mysteries Thread - ORAS Edition.

For those who don't remember or are new, this thread is for finding easter eggs, hidden secrets, or answering the unexplained aspects of pokemon with our own fan theories. While I would like to see some ORAS talk, this thread is for everything pokemon, including spin-off games, anime, real-life events, manga, etc.

As always try to keep it civil and remember when dealing with fiction all things are equally real (so critique a fan theory, but don't criticize unless it goes against direct game canon, like Pikachu being a dragon type for an outrageous example. Everyone can fill in the blanks however they want, even if it differs from your answers).

I want this thread to outlast myself, but here's some discussion points given by ORAS to get going:

1. Zinnia and Episode Delta raised a lot of new material regarding mega evolution and the existence of parallel worlds that had been alluded to before. How do you think this effects the game timeline?

2. Rumor has it that a ghost girl appears in a chair during Pheobe's intro speech before you fight her. Can anyone confirm this?

3. Why does Shalor Sable show up a game after the city it's from debuted?

4. There are a bunch of Frontier Brain cameo's despite no battle frontier. How many have you found?

5. The shiny Beldum gets a lot of cameo responses from certain people, including one linking to the pokemon anime. Have you found them?

Well, good luck cracking these mysteries, gumshoes!
1. To me it's sounding like they sort of want to make two separate universes: One where the Kalos Wars happened thus caused the existence of Mega Evolutions while another where the war didn't happen thus no Mega Evolutions. Personally I wish they didn't do that, I would have rather they retcon thing then jut shove it off to another universe. The reason I think this is because they're not going to go back to the non-Mega Evolution universe, so there's really no point in having it. Also this pretty much means any game before Gen VI can pretty much be considered out of canon for the most part. We can assume things happened similarly, but they not exactly since Mega Evolutions apparently changed everything.
But for how exactly it'll change the timeline, I'm going to say things happened as they should but differently. Though they changed some things, ORAS are still a remake of Ruby & Sapphire as to what happened: Team Aqua/Magma awoke their Legendary Pokemon, caused the weather to go nuts, and then a trainer stopped them. Sure the Delta Episode didn't happen but that's an additional event on top of what happened instead of changing the timeline completely. As for the existence of multiple universes, at most they'll only bring it up to explain why there are different versions of games.

2. Here's the reddit on it with some images. I plan on re-battling the Elite Four again so I'll keep my eye out for it.

3. I don't know, honestly if they were going to make a new food item it should be one based on Kanto as it doesn't had a food representative. I can only guess maybe since Shalour City is where the Tower of Mastery is they wanted to further the importance of Mega Evolutions?

4. Found Battle Tower replica, the guy who said he hired Lucy for Scott, found the Delinquent who possibly could be Lucy, and that's pretty much it. I heard there's a TV show that mentions Brandon as an explorer and I have this odd feeling that the guy who introduced you to the Battle Resort could have been Scott. But that's all I know about.

5. Serebii listed the changes here.

Now for some of my questions:

1. What is with some of the residence in Mauville Hills? Like the guy who watches the halls, the Composter, the Composer's fan, the vacant apartment, and the two offices?

2. Can we help Looker get his memory back?

3. Its revealed that Aster is actually a name of someone Zinnia knew who died. Who was Aster? Also why did Zinnia say she'll be joining her soon before summoning Rayquaza? Was Zinnia planning on dieing during the Delta Episode?

One of my friends on DeviantArt figured something out regarding Zinnia and Aster. They mentioned that Aster was the name of Zinnia's child who died shortly after birth, I believe. If you're wondering why Zinnia treats the Whismur in such a motherly way, it's because she has become delusional about her child's status of living, and Aster (the Whismur) is just going along with it, hence the lack of a Poké Ball for this traveling companion of hers.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
One of my friends on DeviantArt figured something out regarding Zinnia and Aster. They mentioned that Aster was the name of Zinnia's child who died shortly after birth, I believe. If you're wondering why Zinnia treats the Whismur in such a motherly way, it's because she has become delusional about her child's status of living, and Aster (the Whismur) is just going along with it, hence the lack of a Poké Ball for this traveling companion of hers.
You read that wrong, Zinnia says she's proud of Whismur like a mother would be to a daughter, never did Zinnia say she had a daughter. We only know that Aster the Whsimur was named after someone Zinnia knew, we don't know Zinnia's relation to this Aster.

Some things in the new games:
Check everything you can find in Sea Mauville! There are lots of interesting details, including letters from Professor Cozmo as a kid to his father (his father lost his job and got divorced from his mother. I teared up... I'm such a sap). Also, working conditions at Sea Mauville were comically terrible. And considering that Wattson organized the Mauville projects, it makes me think worse of him...
The white rock still has no purpose! I checked the script.
Looker has no further events or text after giving the Mega Stone. But ORAS are before even Platinum I believe, so he gets better. :)
And I believe the Aster that Zinnia's Whismur is named after is her mother. I can't remember the exact lines that led me to think this, but it was the conclusion I immediately came to. Also, her grandmother is alive, but there is no sign of her mother...

And more mythology stuff, all the things to do with Hoopa are very mysterious. The Legendaries you find when flying are battled via hoops identical to Hoopa's, and the text for the item to get "Hoopa Unbound" is very sinister.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It seems like an old pet theory of mine has been strengthened by ORAS: That training Pokémon is a lot harder to other trainers than it is to you. It's mentioned by May and the Aqua/Magma grunt you encounter in Petalburg Woods, as well as Maxie in OR.
The player character apparently has unusual talent with Pokémon, causing them to obey you without question, learning moves on the first attempt every time, and possibly even evolving at earlier levels than is the case for NPCs. Since we never see anybody else training Pokémon in the games, we have nothing to compare to. From the player's perspective, this rate of progress is just normal, Pokémon only disobey you when they're traded AND overlevelled, they always evolve at set levels, and reach maximum happiness after hours instead of years. For other trainers, progress is a lot slower, and Pokémon might not always evolve at those levels.
It would explain how you could beat Gyms - experienced trainers, mind you - with impunity mere days after you start your adventure. It explains why the evil team grunts charge at you with their crapmons - against most kids, those would be more than sufficient to give a solid whooping. It also explains why there seems to be so few travelling trainers - for most trainers, Pokémon training is such a tedious process that they mostly do it at a hobby basis. It even explains how Ash Ketchum appears to be such a terrible trainer, rarely if ever evolving his Pokémon. It's not that he's that bad, he might be just average, it's just that the games make Pokémon training appear a lot easier than it usually is. Your rival might also be the same kind of prodigy, able to catch up with your progress as you plow through the region.

Concerning Hoopa-unbound, there is another mystery. Look at its Pokémon-Amie screen, more specifically, the pants-tent between its legs dominating the lower screen where you're supposed to pet your companion: How the hell was that design greenlit?

Hoopa just joins the list of unfortunately phallic legendaries, with Palkia and Reshiram. But this is hardly the only thing Gamefreak has ever missed. Like how I can make the Dewford trendy phrase "Bright Powder Parties."

But on your main point, I feel similarly. I think your PC is really a pokemon prodigy, or at least displays a level of competence far exceeding his/her contemporaries. Hardly anyone uses a team of 6, and even less use type balancing. I wonder what the key link is, besides that you play this character. Pokedex holders seem to be better than average, maybe most NPC's are just uneducated? Like, without a pokedex the typical bird boy really doesn't know that there is more out there than his three pidgey's and one spearow? Or maybe he's just that dedicated to the craft.

I think Gym Leaders are the exception though. I feel they intentionally hold back just to test your skills. It's a gym after all, and meant to make you stronger rather than rip you apart.

In Origins, when Red battles Brock, Brock says gym leaders pick their team based on how many badges the challenger has.
I have always thought of this as the case. It is implied in the anime (particularly in DP, I believe), that there are more than 8 gyms in a region, and trainers can visit them in different orders. So to make this work, it makes sense for Gym Leaders to pick their team based on the number of badges the challenger has. It'll also explain the stronger teams we see in Gym Leader rematches, like those found in Platinum, HGSS, PWT and Battle Chateau.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)