Ladder Monotype [Read post #393 for Tiering Updates]

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL at those Ground usage stats, I can't say I'm surprised though, outside out those top 7, you really don't have much scope to change. I found the Water stats to be very interesting as it really reflects the options you have to work with, and in fairness, while Flying was easy to see as most used, Water is generally where you see the greater variety in builds, as exemplified by the greater spread of higher percentages rather than having higher defined staples. If i
Yah, there is always just small adjustments one can really make for Ground (Nido or Lando, Garchomp (scarf or mega), Hippo and Mamo are usually always mandatory with water ground of choice (Gastro or Yeah!!! (Quagsire) and whatever else you feel like (Exca, Torterra, then i guess Krook but scraping there)). Like some other types (Electric) we truly did not gain much in the meta shift that truly helps revolutionize our playstyle or enhance it like other types (water and rain with Swamp, Psychic with amazing physical attacker options and great walls, you can get the idea).

I keep getting a link saying i need to update my browser when i click it. Doing something wrong or just being stupid i am?

It's quite interesting to see usage stats. Mostly because I get to see what random crap people use.

For example...

Abomasnow is kinda popular on Grass despite its main gimmick, Snow Warning, being unusable due to hail damage and Soundproof for being incredibly situational. It's currently 20th in usage surpassing Leavanny(the only Sticky Web-setter-upper on Grass) and Gourgeist.

People have tried using a Sand Bug team? I mean, I know Bug has a lot of Rock and Steel types to play around with, but why...? Also people use Wormadam-Sandy? That's strange...

I'm kind of surprised that Aegislash is 4th. I mean I know Gengar, Sableye, and Chandelure are awesome, but I at least expected it to be higher than Chandelure. On a side note, what's the point of using Mega Banette if Mega Sableye is a better Mega Evolution in general? Before Mega Sableye gets banned, of course.

I'm not sure what the point of a Gravity Rock team is... Maybe for Skarmory...?

I know Pika-clone teams are fun, but I'm surprised Pachirisu hasn't been shown more love, especially after that one VGC Finals match...

People still use Kyurem Black on Ice teams even though Kyurem White outclasses it?

And finally, the greatest sin of them all...Luvdisc is used more than our beloved Monotyke. Just...why? Luvdisc is absolutely useless.Even with Rain, it can't do much. As for Mantyke, it can be a nice Special wall.

As a disclaimer, most of these facts are very obscure, only noticed by those like me who like looking at the bottom of lists just to see what crazy stuff people run. I'm also guilty of running very weird things, such as Whirlwind Volcarona and non-Sticky Web Leavanny, but when you use something like a Gravity Rock team, that's crossing the line.

Last edited:

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, I'm late to the show with giving my own perspective on the stats, but I've been unexpectedly slammed at school these past couple days.

First, thank you Antar! These stats are something I've been really excited to see for some time. I'm also stoked about the opportunity to expand upon them in the future.

That said, I have all the code updated to generate these stats from my computer without trouble. So, if you guys have other things you want, just let me know. In addition, I'll be uploading all these stats, along with a brand new Staff Interview, to the Monotype Room website sometime tomorrow.
edit: I should make sure to point out I just made a couple edits to Antar's code... I'm not trying to take credit for something I didn't write.

Now on to the stats!

First, all these numbers come from the first 10 days after the server crash (11/20-11/30). The metagame had very little time to develop, so I expect we will see some changes when the December stats come out.

Much of what caught my eye has already been brought up:
  • Ground has almost no options (I literally laughed out loud when I saw that)
  • Greninja is REALLY popular (>90% of dark teams and >75% of water)
  • Mamoswine > Kyu-W is....surprising. Especially with these being 1630 stats.
  • Less m-Venu on grass than I expected (makes me happy though!)
  • Ditto's usage really proves Acast's point about how viable it has become
  • Fire seems to prefer a HO build with Infernape over balance with Torkoal...interesting
  • Generic Flying is generic...can't argue with those numbers
  • Ghost has become "generic" with 4 Pokemon above 80% weighted usage
  • The "double-monotype" teams are probably the result of someone trying to be cute, or a new user being just a bit confused.

Some other things that caught my eye:
  • Audino is not seeing much use (~10%), especially when compared to Lopunny (~50%). There was quite a bit of hype for Normal teams running full on stall with that. Just shows how Monotype is inherently an offensive metagame...
  • Victini is most popular on Psychic teams (and its heavily biased toward the high ladder). I really expected Mew or Slowbro to be #1.
  • Swampert>Keldeo is a trend I expect to go away. As is Swampert>>Lanturn, 58% for Swampy vs 25% for Lanturn is surprising. I think this is a case of everyone having a shiny new toy to play with.
  • When browsing the Water stats for lower ladder levels (I'll post them on the website tomorrow), I noticed Politoed is much more common on lower ladder teams. I'm curious if this trend continues, or if SS teams make a return to the upper ladder as the metagame evolves. For instance, is this a result of m-Bro's presence? If it gets banned, will people switch back to m-Gyara or opt for SS with Swampy?

Last edited:
There's a number of people that use Mono teams that have TWO Monotypes together. For example, a Mono Rock/Steel consisting of only the Aron line and the Shieldon line. Here are a bunch that are used on ladder...

Hm...a Mono Poison/Bug team sounds interesting. That'd be Spinarak, Skorupi, Venipede, Venonat, Weedle, Ariados, Dustox, Beedrill, Kakuna, Whirlipede, Scolipede, and Venomoth. You have a choice of two Baton Passers, Scolipede or Venomoth. It's probably best to use Scolipede for the Baton Passing because you can use Mega Beedrill. Ariados can lay Sticky Web, and Whirlipede can lay Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Venomoth can be a non-Baton Passing set-up Pokemon, and the last one is filler. Dustox, maybe?

Apparently, people have tried a Mono Dark/Water. That would consist of Greninja, Crawdaunt, Carvanha, and Sharpedo. A four-man army that's hyper-offensive. It won't get you anywhere. Mono Ground/Water is also a thing... Ground/Water types include Barboach, Wooper, Whiscash, Gastrodon, Quagsire, Marshtomp, Palpitoad, Seismitoad, and Swampert. This has quite a few good legit Pokemon in it, so it shouldn't be too hard making a team. It will turn out to be very stally though.

There's also Mono Dragon/Flying. It consists of Noibat, Dragonite, Altaria, Noivern, and Salamence(non-mega, of course). Not exactly a full team, and still hyper-offensive, but it might be able to work somewhat well.

Mono Flying/Normal seems to be great for troll teams. There's also a great variety of Pokemon to choose from as well. You've got Doduo, Fletchling, Hoothoot, Pidgey, Pidove, Rufflet, Spearow, Starly, Swablu, Taillow, Braviary, Pidgeot, Swellow, Chatot, Dodrio, Farfetch'd, Fearow, Noctowl, Unfezant, Staraptor, Pidgeotto, Tranquill, and Staravia. You could go with the classic starter birds of each Gen, or you could try something different like a Tailwind Unfezant with Staraptor or something.

Mono Psychic can also apparently have Fairy, Water, and Flying as a secondary Monotype. I'm kind of interested in Mono Psychic/Flying though. All you have is Sigilyph, Natu, Xatu, Woobat, and Swoobat(Sigilyph kind of sounds like he odd one out because it doesn't have an evolution that rhymes). They're really gimmicky Pokemon too. Sigilyph for its Cosmic Power set, the Natu line for Magic Bounce, and the Woobat line for Simple. Mono Psychic/Water is even worse as it only has the Slowpoke line and Starmie. I guess you can go hyper defensive?

Mono Rock can be paired up with Bug and Water. Mono Rock/Bug only has the Anorith line and the Dwebble line. Not too effective if you ask me. But it's Mono Rock/Water that's interesting. It gets the Binacle line, the Kabuto line, the Omanyte line, the Tirtouga line, Corsola, and Relicanth. What's interesting is that all those Pokemon(excluding Corsola and Relicanth) can learn Shell Smash. This means you will have Shell Smash sweeping for days. Relicanth is there for Rock Head Head Smash, and Corsola is there for its sheer adorableness. However, there's a huge Grass weakness that a Pokemon like Breloom can take advantage of. No Sturdy or Focus Sash can save you from dying of Bullet Seed. So...you'd have a tough time with dealing with that. You RELI CANTH do much.

Back to Bugs, we have Mono Steel/Bug. This would consist of Scizor, Durant, Escavalier, Wormadam-Trash, Forretress, and Genesect. First off, I'm not sure how Genesect would work. It's a Bug team, but it's also a Steel team. Would it be allowed? Probably. Anyways, this team could actually work quite well. With Forretress for hazard control, Scizor, Durant, Escavalier, and Genesect being offense, and Wormadam-Trash being well...trash, it could be a legitimately scary team to face. Of course this is just hoping you don't run across some Fire and have your Bugs shrivel and melt.

These teams are mainly jokes used on ladder for fun. If you're going to be serious about using any of these dual Monotype teams, please reconsider your choices. They're almost never used(evidence from the stats about the different playstyles) and it should be expected that you lose often. However, if you just want some fun or you want a challenge, try one out. I'm sure you'll have a blast. Happy laddering!

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
So this has been a little bit quiet, so I thought I'd try and wake it up again by talking about what I consider to be the currently most broken thing in Monotype: Mega Mawile. I was a massive anti-unban supporter of this thing, it's ridiculous how it just tears through almost any kind of team(only Fire and to an extent Steel teams can cope with it) after it gets a Swords Dance. It finds a ridiculous amount of setup opportunities thanks to it's great typing and decent bulk, particularly on the Physical side which is further augmented by Intimidate. It ruins offensive pokemon with it's Sucker Punch which hits harder than a standard E-killers ExtremeSpeed and any defensive Pokemon is utterly destroyed by it's insane power after a Swords Dance. It has 1356 Attack after a Swords Dance. That's just ridiculous. I really don't see any argument for keeping this in Monotype, it was deemed unhealthy for OU, and with teams having even less option to be able to deal with it here, I don't see the justification for it. The only reasonable argument I've heard is that Fairy needs a physical attacker, but that's not an argument, if something is broken, it's broken, period.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-193794948

This is a replay of it in action. it manages to set up on a Zapdos Heat Wave, and then just goes ham on my team, utterly decimating everything, even my weakened Skarmory.

Personally I think mega mawile's results in monotype are skewed because the types with awful options are forced to run random wisp and suprise sub+setup pokemon as generic checks to offensive pokemon (which mawile's flawed priority and awful speed make it)

I don't want to sheep OU reasons, but mawile is so easy to access throughout most games that it becomes a major hassle and quite abusive even if you have built something into your team against it and moreso if it's supported by something you will also need your likely check to it for, like trick jirachi or togekiss.

How would fairy fare without it? Still crawling in a niche against teams without defog, (vis a vis bug) and the ever growing dark menace, as well as stallbreaker teams trying too hard to counter slowbro/sableye. It would be more interesting to face than it is now, not only with it's oras changes, but also things like sylveon and gardevoir mega that dissapeared due to lesser synergy with mawile and klefki compared to other mons.

Mawile can let steel team's go to town in neutral match ups (spike+wall support is just as deadly as screens +setup) although overall I don't think it affects it's high profile bad match ups as well as mega metagross or scizor.

Croven

certified genius
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
How would fairy fare without it? Still crawling in a niche against teams without defog, (vis a vis bug) and the ever growing dark menace, as well as stallbreaker teams trying too hard to counter slowbro/sableye. It would be more interesting to face than it is now, not only with it's oras changes, but also things like sylveon and gardevoir mega that dissapeared due to lesser synergy with mawile and klefki compared to other mons.
Could you explain this a beat clearer? I'm having trouble understanding what you're trying to say, it'd be nice to have this explained a bit clearer.
Mawile can let steel team's go to town in neutral match ups (spike+wall support is just as deadly as screens +setup) although overall I don't think it affects it's high profile bad match ups as well as mega metagross or scizor.
While Metagross and Scizor really do take a dump on Ice and Rock, Mawile does almost, if not equally, as much, since nothing is taking Play Roughs or Sucker Punches well, and some Mawile's even run Iron Head, completely devastating any chance Ice had (I think Sub Kyu-W is your best shot at winning v Steel).

Overall, I agree with DM, in that Mawile is just utterly broken and did not deserve to be unbanned in the first place. So even though this question has been asked numerous times, it has not been answered properly even once. If M-Mawile was broken in OU, why is it not broken in Monotype?

(And please don't give me some answer like "team support", Mawile is incredibly self sufficient and needs little to no support from its team. Against some types, you could probably lead with it and 6-0, or at least take out 4-5 mons of the other team.)

Yeah M-Mawile is pretty goddamn broken. I have not had a heap of trouble with it but that's due to the mono I main. The sheer power that Mawile possesses isn't even the main reason. But types that it is avaliable on can support it ridiculously well.

On Steel Heatran and Skarmory are both immune to what it is weak too and on Fairy support from mons such as Klefki (Screen setup and Twave support) and Florges (For Wish passing) can keep it sustained for long periods of time. It also doesn't care too much about hazards (except for Spikes) and is immune to Toxic and can bypass Twave and WoW through the use of a Sub.

All of these factors added together can make it unstoppable and even without all of this support M-Mawile can still run through teams like they are nothing...

SamuelTheBest

Banned deucer.
Overall, I agree with DM, in that Mawile is just utterly broken and did not deserve to be unbanned in the first place. So even though this question has been asked numerous times, it has not been answered properly even once. If M-Mawile was broken in OU, why is it not broken in Monotype?
I agree,MMawile is such broken in mono
MMawile increase fairy spam a lot with his power
I think he don't was need to be unbanned
also another thing who made he broken is..the typing
the mono steel is alredy OP without MMawile,with him steel is really hard to fight

DoW

formally Death on Wings
I certainly think that MMaw is broken in Monotype and should therefore be banned at the soonest opportunity. However, I do think that there are a few arguments against a ban being neglected, so in the interest of fairness I'll put them here.

One of the reasons MMaw was different in OU to how it is in Mono is that a number of its checks and counters were simply unviable in OU, yet are perfectly viable in monotype. For example, when Arcanine was brought up in the OU ban discussion thread, it was laughed at due to being entirely uncompetitive in the OU environment despite it being a counter to both common MMaw sets. Similarly, Weezing could counter MMaw, yet was entirely unusable in OU and thus not considered worthwhile discussing in terms of whether it should be banned. This, obviously, isn't the case in Monotype. Both Arcanine and Weezing are very common in the tier, and thus MMaw is arguably more counterable for a fire or poison team than it was for an OU team.

Moreover, MMaw does a good job of stopping other teams from becoming more overpowered than they could be. Psychic and Fighting teams veritably detest it, while neither Flying nor Water teams have a particularly good time facing it and subpunch or fire fang can leave dents in steel teams, not to mention its effect on dragon teams. Therefore it's arguable that it helps lesser-used monos such as poison and fire rise compared to the overused teams.

That said, the ban requirements in Monotype are also vastly different than in OU, and not in MMaw's favour this time. It merely needs to annihilate a number of teams, which it does with complete ease as has been mentioned before, not to mention other teams destroyed by it such as rock and to some extent fairy. I don't feel I particularly need to go into details in this matter, as it seems rather obvious to me that the pokemon is broken beyond doubt. I just felt that these arguments needed to be raised in order that both sides of the discussion were understood before it was banned.

If M-Mawile was broken in OU, why is it not broken in Monotype?
Because the "you have less options" argument goes both ways: you have less options to deal with M-Mawile, but your opponent also has less options to support it. There is no such thing as a "self-sufficient" pokemon, no matter how you stretch it.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
I'm not entirely certain on the Mega Mawile issue, but right now, I don't think it should be banned. I main Bug (weak to Fire Fang), Psychic (weak to Sucker Punch), Flying, and Water (both teams Articuno I said struggle with it) and I personally have never struggled to KO Mega Mawile. If I lose to a fairy team, Mega Mawile is not the problem--and I never actively created a Pokemon solely for dealing with it. Also, I believe it has many counters on most types that are brought along anyway, and still have the added bonus of countering M-Mawile.

Flying: Skarmory can take a +2 Play Rough and Whirlwind it away, or you could rack up residual damage by roost-stalling with Rocky Helmet. You just have to watch out for Fire Fang (+2 Fire Fang is guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock). Both Landos have a chance to KO with EQ/Earth Power respectively. Mega Char X/Y can also beat Mega Mawile with strong Fire STABs. Mega Gyarados has EQ. Thundy-I has Prankster T-Wave.

+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 157-186 (47 - 55.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery so you can continue Roost stalling or just get rid of it for later, allowing you to bring in your own set up sweeper (Mega Gyarados/Char X) and then scare Mawile later on.

Water: a little more tricky, but you have Azumarill Aqua Jet and Greninja Shadow Sneak/HP Fire. Also:
176 Atk Swampert Earthquake vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 228-270 (83.2 - 98.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Play Rough OHKOs back, though, but this lets you get in the range for a priority move from one of the two previously mentioned Pokemon, if it doesn't OHKO. 176 attack is my personal creation, it nabs the possible OHKO here and on a couple other Pokemon. (Guaranteed OHKO if the Mega Mawile decides to invest in speed/SpD rather than HP/Def.)

Psychic: WoW Gardevoir kills. Also, Mega Metagross EQ does damage (and is resistant to Play Rough/Iron Head, but Sukcer Punch hurts). If it is burned, paralyzed, or just doesn't Sucker Punch, Victini. Nuff said. (But fine, I will say it, V-Create OP.) I also use screens Espeon, so I can set up Reflect then use Psyshock until Espeon dies, bring in Mega Metagross and bye bye M-Mawile.

Bug: Volcarona. M-Mawile hates Volcarona, especially as by attacking, it can be burned. Other than that, Mega Pinsir's Quick Attack outspeeds Sucker Punch, so you can usually get two hits in before they realize they have to use Fire Fang/Play Rough/Iron Head. Also, Band Scizor Bullet Punch hits neutrally, but does some damage with Technician. (Does about 1/3.) Sash Galvantula is another thing I use (usually for Sticky Web, but if I see something dangerous in the opposing line up, I'll switch it out for later), allowing you to hit hard with Thunder (but needs spin support from Forretress/Armaldo which is easy to give). Thunder+Band Bullet Punch combo allows you to possibly KO Mega Mawile, even if it is already at +2.

Some other types that I don't use often also have counters to Mega Mawile (and could potentially struggle with it):

Ghost/Ice: Destiny Bond Froslass. RIP
Dark: WoW Sableye
Opposing Fairy teams: Azumarill/M-Mawile
Rock/Fighting: Band Terrakion EQ
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Earthquake vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 270-318 (98.5 - 116%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 179-211 (55.4 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Grass: Non-Fire Fang is walled by stally Ferrothorn. Also: Mega Venusaur.

Also, it obviously can't go straight to +2, meaning it needs a turn to set up (and you can hit it hard or phaze it out then). There are many other set up Pokemon that can sweep weakened teams after a boost or 2 as well (
Mega Sableye/Mega Char X/Mega Gyarados/SD Bisharp, etc.).

TL; DR: I main Bug/Psychic/Flying/Water and have never really struggled with Mega Mawile, there are many counters to it that are on just about every team anyway. It needs a turn to set up a Swords Dance so you can hit it then, and it is not the only deadly late game set up Pokemon. I'm not totally convinced either way though, just thought I'd throw this out there for the sake of both sides having something, and show how I deal with it on types that could potentially struggle to handle Mega Mawile.

Freeroamer

Because the "you have less options" argument goes both ways: you have less options to deal with M-Mawile, but your opponent also has less options to support it. There is no such thing as a "self-sufficient" pokemon, no matter how you stretch it.
I don't agree with this at all. Largely the reasons for Mawile's success is the support it can get from either of the teams that it's found on. Consider for Steel you have Klefki that can set up screens and then Skarmory and Heatran to switch into either of it's weaknesses. You can repeat this for Fairy with Togekiss and Azumarill respectively. Even looking past team support, I'd argue that Mega Mawile is easily one of the most self sufficient pokemon in the metagame right now, needing little invitation to threaten either offensive or defensive pokemon. I'm just going to introduce quite an amazing calc here:

252 Atk Life Orb Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 212-251 (33 - 39%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 218-257 (33.9 - 40%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Mega Maw's Sucker Punch hits harder than the standard Arceus Extreme Killer set. This means offensive checks need to be able to swallow a really strong Sucker Punch, and Dark coverage is really really good this gen. Defensive Pokemon are set up on and are then annihlated by the appropriate move, Venu gets crushed by +2 Iron Heads, Skarm gets bopped by Fire Fang, honestly outside of Physically Defensive Arcanine it's almost impossible to have a guaranteed safe switch in to this thing. The capability to be able to threaten both offense and bulky archetypes is really what makes Mawile so special, as it literally needs very little support provided you use it correctly thanks to it's great typing, decent bulk augmented by Intimidate and almost a fear factor I guess. Someone once said to me you just don't switch on a Mega Mawile and it struck me how true this is, you literally don't dare to switch for the fear it sets up a Swords Dance and goes to sweep your team.

I'm not entirely certain on the Mega Mawile issue, but right now, I don't think it should be banned. I main Bug (weak to Fire Fang), Psychic (weak to Sucker Punch), Flying, and Water (both teams Articuno I said struggle with it) and I personally have never struggled to KO Mega Mawile. If I lose to a fairy team, Mega Mawile is not the problem--and I never actively created a Pokemon solely for dealing with it. Also, I believe it has many counters on most types that are brought along anyway, and still have the added bonus of countering M-Mawile.

Flying: Skarmory can take a +2 Play Rough and Whirlwind it away, or you could rack up residual damage by roost-stalling with Rocky Helmet. You just have to watch out for Fire Fang (+2 Fire Fang is guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock). Both Landos have a chance to KO with EQ/Earth Power respectively. Mega Char X/Y can also beat Mega Mawile with strong Fire STABs. Mega Gyarados has EQ. Thundy-I has Prankster T-Wave.

+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 157-186 (47 - 55.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery so you can continue Roost stalling or just get rid of it for later, allowing you to bring in your own set up sweeper (Mega Gyarados/Char X) and then scare Mawile later on.

Water: a little more tricky, but you have Azumarill Aqua Jet and Greninja Shadow Sneak/HP Fire. Also:
176 Atk Swampert Earthquake vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 228-270 (83.2 - 98.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Play Rough OHKOs back, though, but this lets you get in the range for a priority move from one of the two previously mentioned Pokemon, if it doesn't OHKO. 176 attack is my personal creation, it nabs the possible OHKO here and on a couple other Pokemon. (Guaranteed OHKO if the Mega Mawile decides to invest in speed/SpD rather than HP/Def.)

Psychic: WoW Gardevoir kills. Also, Mega Metagross EQ does damage (and is resistant to Play Rough/Iron Head, but Sukcer Punch hurts). If it is burned, paralyzed, or just doesn't Sucker Punch, Victini. Nuff said. (But fine, I will say it, V-Create OP.) I also use screens Espeon, so I can set up Reflect then use Psyshock until Espeon dies, bring in Mega Metagross and bye bye M-Mawile.

Bug: Volcarona. M-Mawile hates Volcarona, especially as by attacking, it can be burned. Other than that, Mega Pinsir's Quick Attack outspeeds Sucker Punch, so you can usually get two hits in before they realize they have to use Fire Fang/Play Rough/Iron Head. Also, Band Scizor Bullet Punch hits neutrally, but does some damage with Technician. (Does about 1/3.) Sash Galvantula is another thing I use (usually for Sticky Web, but if I see something dangerous in the opposing line up, I'll switch it out for later), allowing you to hit hard with Thunder (but needs spin support from Forretress/Armaldo which is easy to give). Thunder+Band Bullet Punch combo allows you to possibly KO Mega Mawile, even if it is already at +2.

Some other types that I don't use often also have counters to Mega Mawile (and could potentially struggle with it):

Ghost/Ice: Destiny Bond Froslass. RIP
Dark: WoW Sableye
Opposing Fairy teams: Azumarill/M-Mawile
Rock/Fighting: Band Terrakion EQ
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Earthquake vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 270-318 (98.5 - 116%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 179-211 (55.4 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Grass: Non-Fire Fang is walled by stally Ferrothorn. Also: Mega Venusaur.

Also, it obviously can't go straight to +2, meaning it needs a turn to set up (and you can hit it hard or phaze it out then). There are many other set up Pokemon that can sweep weakened teams after a boost or 2 as well (
Mega Sableye/Mega Char X/Mega Gyarados/SD Bisharp, etc.).

TL; DR: I main Bug/Psychic/Flying/Water and have never really struggled with Mega Mawile, there are many counters to it that are on just about every team anyway. It needs a turn to set up a Swords Dance so you can hit it then, and it is not the only deadly late game set up Pokemon. I'm not totally convinced either way though, just thought I'd throw this out there for the sake of both sides having something, and show how I deal with it on types that could potentially struggle to handle Mega Mawile.
Skarm loses to very common Fire Fang variants, and needs Rocky Helmet to even threaten it. Whirlwinding is fine and all, but that's not really dealing with the problem is it? Lando-I gets destroyed by a +2 Sucker Punch, Lando-T has to be the defensive set to take on Mawile throughout the game, and anyway, both are at best offensive checks, neither would dare to switch in on a Mawile for fear of getting obliterated by a STAB move. Zard Y can't stand Sucker and really struggles to switch in after rocks which are fairly easy to get up on a Steel team. Zard X is a nice check, but can't switch in and is still taking >50% from Sucker if the offensive DD set.

Azumarill Aqua Jet and Greninja Shadow Sneak barely scratches Mawile, especially if it comes in on them and gets it's Intimidate off on them.

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 99-117 (32.5 - 38.4%) -- 97.8% chance to 3HKO

0 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 44-55 (14.4 - 18%) -- possible 6HKO

Yeah that Swampert is ok for getting the KO off in certain situations, but taking that much out of it's bulk detracts from it's fundamental role of checking Electric attackers and a dedicated rocks setter. It's presence is literally causing you to run a sub-optimal set. Wisp Garde does get a burn off but then just dies to Iron Head and again, it's not even a check. If if Swords Dances you lose a poke right there. You would literally never switch it in. Mega Metagross is a nice check and a better switchin but you even concede it takes a ton from Sucker. Victini vs Mawile is always a situation where the Mawile user will Sucker Punch, obviously this can be worked around but Victini isn't even a check unless running Wisp which is rare, but in that case it becomes a good check. Paralysis doesn't help Tini at all here as Sucker is always it's best option. Having to use a screen user+a specific poke is overcentralising, and even then any smart Mawile user will realise what you're doing when they see Espeon and just proceed to set up to negate the effect of your screens.

Volcarona is a very good check, but again it struggles with Rocks but is one of the better one's you've brought up. 1v1 Mega Mawile vs Pinsir is one where the Mega Mawile should pretty much always Play Rough first turn, as even EQ doesn't KO, the Pinsir user is then forced into a corner if it used QA the first turn as it pretty much has to use an attack other than QA or switch out as its on the flipside of the mindgames. Even if it EQ'd first turn, it's still on the negative end of the mindgames, as it needs more predictions to go it's way. Scizor is a good check to non Fire Fang variants, but is set up fodder for one's that do carry it. Sashvantula is extremely dependant on rocks not being up, and is not a reliable check.

Froslass: I'm sorry no, when you're having to rely on D bonders to keep mons in check, you're actually arguing for a ban.
Sableye: Yeah will usually scare it out, but if a Mawile user really wants to, they'll just SD on the predicted Wisp and then you're no better off.
Azumarill: 1v1 Mawile wins every time. Play Rough+Sucker is a 2HKO on every viable set while Azu can only 2HKO with Banded Waterfall, meaning Mawile wins as it can Sucker safely on the second hit.
M-Mawile: yeah using the argument a mon can check itself really isn't an argument not to ban it. If anything that shows the overcentralisation it causes.
Terrakion: Yeah banded sets are a good check, but I haven't seen a Banded Terrakion used by a good ladderer in forever. Scarf is pretty much the way to go, and that set loses 1v1 against Mawile.
Ferrothorn: good answer to non-Fire Fang variants, however it can get worn down easily and isn't really doing that much back. Decent check though.
Mega Venusaur: loses to Iron Head variants unless it's running Sleep Powder or Hidden Power Fire, both of which are rare nowadays. Decent check though again.

The difference between the pokemon you listed compared to Mawile is that they can generally only threaten one playstyle, have common checks or struggle to set up. Mawile has none of these flaws as it can threaten bulky or offensive teams, any check has to be able to swallow a ridiculously strong Sucker Punch that has great neutral coverage and KOes p. much every offensive mon at +2, and last but not least has one of the single best typings in the game alongside decent bulk, particularly on the physical side.

I think for your arguments in future, you'd be wise to use these definitions of Counter, Check and Revenge Killer. They're by no means set in stone, but they give a general idea.

Counter: Can switch in under any likely conditions(Rocks being up, pokemon specific situations eg. Sun being up if you're talking about countering Zard Y) into any likely move and either KO the opposing Pokemon or force it out. It can do this time and time again throughout the game, thanks to either great bulk or reliable recovery.

Check: May not be able to directly switch in due to field conditions or coverage, but can switch into certain moves that the pokemon could use and then proceed to KO it or force it out. May also be a counter that just gets worn down too quickly to actually be called a counter, because it can't do it later on in the game.

Revenge Killer: Generally a pokemon that can't come in at all, but given a free switch can force the pokemon out or KO it.

These definitions aren't concrete and overlap in areas, but provide a rough framework with which to define your answers to a certain pokemon. If we use these definitions for Mawile, then the only things that can be listed under counter are generally Physically Bulky Fire types that aren't weak to Sucker Punch. Not only are these rare in themselves, they're generally quite limited in terms of what mono you can use them on.

Overall, I don't really see any concrete no ban arguments, this thing is ridiculous in the metagame and it's time has come.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
I don't agree with this at all. Largely the reasons for Mawile's success is the support it can get from either of the teams that it's found on. Consider for Steel you have Klefki that can set up screens and then Skarmory and Heatran to switch into either of it's weaknesses. You can repeat this for Fairy with Togekiss and Azumarill respectively. Even looking past team support, I'd argue that Mega Mawile is easily one of the most self sufficient pokemon in the metagame right now, needing little invitation to threaten either offensive or defensive pokemon. I'm just going to introduce quite an amazing calc here:

252 Atk Life Orb Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 212-251 (33 - 39%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 218-257 (33.9 - 40%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Mega Maw's Sucker Punch hits harder than the standard Arceus Extreme Killer set. This means offensive checks need to be able to swallow a really strong Sucker Punch, and Dark coverage is really really good this gen. Defensive Pokemon are set up on and are then annihlated by the appropriate move, Venu gets crushed by +2 Iron Heads, Skarm gets bopped by Fire Fang, honestly outside of Physically Defensive Arcanine it's almost impossible to have a guaranteed safe switch in to this thing. The capability to be able to threaten both offense and bulky archetypes is really what makes Mawile so special, as it literally needs very little support provided you use it correctly thanks to it's great typing, decent bulk augmented by Intimidate and almost a fear factor I guess. Someone once said to me you just don't switch on a Mega Mawile and it struck me how true this is, you literally don't dare to switch for the fear it sets up a Swords Dance and goes to sweep your team.

Skarm loses to very common Fire Fang variants, and needs Rocky Helmet to even threaten it. Whirlwinding is fine and all, but that's not really dealing with the problem is it? Lando-I gets destroyed by a +2 Sucker Punch, Lando-T has to be the defensive set to take on Mawile throughout the game, and anyway, both are at best offensive checks, neither would dare to switch in on a Mawile for fear of getting obliterated by a STAB move. Zard Y can't stand Sucker and really struggles to switch in after rocks which are fairly easy to get up on a Steel team. Zard X is a nice check, but can't switch in and is still taking >50% from Sucker if the offensive DD set.

Azumarill Aqua Jet and Greninja Shadow Sneak barely scratches Mawile, especially if it comes in on them and gets it's Intimidate off on them.

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 99-117 (32.5 - 38.4%) -- 97.8% chance to 3HKO

0 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 44-55 (14.4 - 18%) -- possible 6HKO

Yeah that Swampert is ok for getting the KO off in certain situations, but taking that much out of it's bulk detracts from it's fundamental role of checking Electric attackers and a dedicated rocks setter. It's presence is literally causing you to run a sub-optimal set. Wisp Garde does get a burn off but then just dies to Iron Head and again, it's not even a check. If if Swords Dances you lose a poke right there. You would literally never switch it in. Mega Metagross is a nice check and a better switchin but you even concede it takes a ton from Sucker. Victini vs Mawile is always a situation where the Mawile user will Sucker Punch, obviously this can be worked around but Victini isn't even a check unless running Wisp which is rare, but in that case it becomes a good check. Paralysis doesn't help Tini at all here as Sucker is always it's best option. Having to use a screen user+a specific poke is overcentralising, and even then any smart Mawile user will realise what you're doing when they see Espeon and just proceed to set up to negate the effect of your screens.

Volcarona is a very good check, but again it struggles with Rocks but is one of the better one's you've brought up. 1v1 Mega Mawile vs Pinsir is one where the Mega Mawile should pretty much always Play Rough first turn, as even EQ doesn't KO, the Pinsir user is then forced into a corner if it used QA the first turn as it pretty much has to use an attack other than QA or switch out as its on the flipside of the mindgames. Even if it EQ'd first turn, it's still on the negative end of the mindgames, as it needs more predictions to go it's way. Scizor is a good check to non Fire Fang variants, but is set up fodder for one's that do carry it. Sashvantula is extremely dependant on rocks not being up, and is not a reliable check.

Froslass: I'm sorry no, when you're having to rely on D bonders to keep mons in check, you're actually arguing for a ban.
Sableye: Yeah will usually scare it out, but if a Mawile user really wants to, they'll just SD on the predicted Wisp and then you're no better off.
Azumarill: 1v1 Mawile wins every time. Play Rough+Sucker is a 2HKO on every viable set while Azu can only 2HKO with Banded Waterfall, meaning Mawile wins as it can Sucker safely on the second hit.
M-Mawile: yeah using the argument a mon can check itself really isn't an argument not to ban it. If anything that shows the overcentralisation it causes.
Terrakion: Yeah banded sets are a good check, but I haven't seen a Banded Terrakion used by a good ladderer in forever. Scarf is pretty much the way to go, and that set loses 1v1 against Mawile.
Ferrothorn: good answer to non-Fire Fang variants, however it can get worn down easily and isn't really doing that much back. Decent check though.
Mega Venusaur: loses to Iron Head variants unless it's running Sleep Powder or Hidden Power Fire, both of which are rare nowadays. Decent check though again.

The difference between the pokemon you listed compared to Mawile is that they can generally only threaten one playstyle, have common checks or struggle to set up. Mawile has none of these flaws as it can threaten bulky or offensive teams, any check has to be able to swallow a ridiculously strong Sucker Punch that has great neutral coverage and KOes p. much every offensive mon at +2, and last but not least has one of the single best typings in the game alongside decent bulk, particularly on the physical side.

I think for your arguments in future, you'd be wise to use these definitions of Counter, Check and Revenge Killer. They're by no means set in stone, but they give a general idea.

Counter: Can switch in under any likely conditions(Rocks being up, pokemon specific situations eg. Sun being up if you're talking about countering Zard Y) into any likely move and either KO the opposing Pokemon or force it out. It can do this time and time again throughout the game, thanks to either great bulk or reliable recovery.

Check: May not be able to directly switch in due to field conditions or coverage, but can switch into certain moves that the pokemon could use and then proceed to KO it or force it out. May also be a counter that just gets worn down too quickly to actually be called a counter, because it can't do it later on in the game.

Revenge Killer: Generally a pokemon that can't come in at all, but given a free switch can force the pokemon out or KO it.

These definitions aren't concrete and overlap in areas, but provide a rough framework with which to define your answers to a certain pokemon. If we use these definitions for Mawile, then the only things that can be listed under counter are generally Physically Bulky Fire types that aren't weak to Sucker Punch. Not only are these rare in themselves, they're generally quite limited in terms of what mono you can use them on.

Overall, I don't really see any concrete no ban arguments, this thing is ridiculous in the metagame and it's time has come.
First of all, I'm not saying it shouldn't be banned; my post was there to say how I counter it and it IS at least checkable or revenge killable. (Don't hate I like inventing words <.<)

Next I'll explain my points a little clearer (I was in a rush and I kinda said a lot of stuff, some of which isn't as good as other parts):

Flying: I know Whirlwinding doesn't kill, it just delays the "problem", but by the time it switches back in YOUR Mega could be at +2, and sweep THEIR team. I know most of the Pokemon I mentioned aren't counters, but they are checks in that usually they can live a hit and either dent or KO back. Admittedly, some of the Pokemon I mentioned can only counter a specific M-Mawile set (such as Skarm can't beat Fire Fang sets) but that's what teammates and scouting are for :P. Also, if you whirlwind out M-Mawile, other Pokemon can then live unboosted hits and KO (like Lando).

Bug: Sash Galvantula is a common lead for bug, and Spin support is easy to provide with Forretress/Armaldo. Then Banded Scizor Bullet Punch can KO, or put it in range for Mega-Pinsir to KO. Worst case scenario, you lose two Pokemon (which is a lot, I know, but it can check M-Mawile). Usually, you will lose Galvantula (it's a sacrifice lead anyway so no big deal) and Scizor can KO. OR: it switches out, losing the boosts and allowing Scizor to bash through other members of its fairy team with a SE STAB. Best case scenario you lose Galvantula (I'll repeat, not a big deal as it is usually your lead that sets webs then proceeds to attack until it dies) and Scizor can KO M-Mawile and kill/dent the rest of them pesky fairies. If all else fails (i.e. these Pokemon are all dead or something :s), then you still have Volcarona, whose combo of Fiery Dance SE STAB and Flame Body can kill Mega Mawile (especially bulky Roost versions).

Water: Like I said, Swampert has a chance to OHKO with EQ and those EVs. It's not living a Play Rough, fully invested into Defense or just 80 HP/252+ Def. It CAN still take a Sucker Punch thought (I'm pretty sure anyway, might have done the calc wrong) and then hit with EQ. If it doesn't KO, then it will either A: die to Play Rough or B: have Sucker Punch used against it the next turn, in which case you can Roar it out (as I don't believe it can take the EQ and two sets of SR damage). If it decides to C: use Play Rough on turn 2, and you EQ, you win. If you Roar while they Play Rough, you die, but Azumarill/Greninja can come in and finish off the M-Mawile. Worst case scenario, you lose Swamper. Best case scenario, you escape unscathed, with one dead threat and one living Swampert.

Psychic: Switch in, WoW with Garde. Then, you either switch out to Metagross (usually quite risky, as this allows it to SD or attack and thus hurt your Metagross) and EQ/Bullet Punch. I usually just sac Garde as it isn't my most important team member. Psychic is the team that I main that appears to struggle the most with M-Mawile on paper, but in practice, it has NEVER swept my team (I dunno why, maybe I have just played every single one of the unskilled M-Mawile users, but I've never lost because of a Mega Mawile). In fact, it usually fails to land more than one KO, if it even nabs one (of course, others have had different experiences and I respect that and understand it).

Mega Mawile is really good on paper, but in practice I have found it to be underwhelming. I have seen it used effectively (I was watching part of DM35s game in my other alt) but I have never failed to counter it. The turn it uses to SD is a safe switch in (technically, as you are hit hard the next turn) but you don't take damage other than hazards that turn, so you can bring in your check/counter. It occasionally takes 2 or even 3 Pokemon to deal with it, but other set up Pokemon can take this many Pokemon to deal with as well. In conclusion, Mega Mawile is a huge threat to some types, but can be dealt with effectively. There are many other deadly set up sweepers that can take just as many Pokemon to deal with (SD Bisharp can wreak havoc on some teams, Moxie Scarf Honchkrow/Krookodile/Heracross, D-Dance Dragonite/Mega Char X/Gyarados and its Mega, etc.). Personally, I have found Mega Sableye more difficult to deal with (although I do have a Gardevoir set I like that is effective at supporting the team AND beating Mega Sable) as it has swept my team a few times.

Now to address some of your points:

Most Froslass in my experience run D-Bond (I think the typical set is Spikes/Taunt/D-Bond/Filler [Ice Beam?]), but I don't use Ghost/Ice very much if at all so I'm not an expert.

Moving the 176 EVs from HP to Atk on Swampert has helped my team more than hindered it. After Rocks are up, the investment allows it to hit somewhat hard, rather than just tanking hits and spamming Roar, as it has no reliable recovery. Also good against teams like steel that resist Rocks, but that EQ hits for SE damage.

Sure, if it uses SD on a predicted WoW then you are in the same position, but it puts a timer on its life. Also, if you have a bulky Pokemon that can Protect stall, it dies faster.

I use Banded Terrakion O.O
I prefer Band for the extra power (I also use Specs>Scarf Keldeo. You could say that I am power hungry :P). Fighting has other Scarfers and these Pokemon are really fast already.

I know what a Check/Counter/Revenge Killer is, but I sometimes use them loosely and interchangeably if I am tired or in a rush. I can try to be more specific though if that helps.

Finally, I'm not trying to start an argument or be provocative or anything, just wanted to say my piece, and that as of right now, I am undecided, as I haven't seen it be much of a problem to me in one of my battles. Again, I realize others hate it with a passion and have had different experiences than I have, and I respect that.

Last edited:
But that's the thing. If every time you see a Mega Mawile and you have to sac 2 mons and maybe cripple another to be able to KO it then I think that's pretty overpowered. Like what if those are the only three Pokemon you have left?

Also you keep saying "If Mawile runs this move it can KO" is a testament to how strong its coverage is and how it has the ability to pretty much take out the entire Meta. If that's not a problem then I'm not really sure what is...

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Going to reply to this and DM's comment in one post. This is exactly the reason why some things can be broken in OU, but not Monotype. However, M-Mawile does not fit this reason. It has literally everything it needs to be successful in a single Pokemon that shares its typing: Klefki. It reliably sets spikes and screens while providing para support to aid Mawile's less than stellar speed. This is coupled with the excellent options both fairy and steel teams have outside Klefki.

For the reasons that both DM and DoW have brought up, I fully support a ban on M-Mawile for both Fairy and Steel types.

So I'm just gonna give out an opinion. Mega Mawile is quite broken indeed. Having to run unorthodox things, sack a Pokemon or two, along with having an amazing cast of Pokemon to support is a great reason. On Fairy, Mega Mawile has Togekiss and Klefki backing it up while on Steel, it has Heatran and Skarmory. It completely ruins several types such as Ice, Psychic, most of Bug, Dark, Dragon, Rock, and Fighting. It's crazy how much destruction it can cause.

On Steel it definitely deserves a ban. It's already got enough bulky attackers and a good alternate choice in Mega Scizor and Mega Metagross. Fairy is kinda iffy in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, Mega Mawile's still broken as hell, just...what can replace it? Fairy lacks a lot of viable physical attackers. Azumarill is one, the other would be what? Slurpuff? Granbull?

In conclusion, I'd say that a ban is in order, just we need to find another physical attacker for Fairy that's just as good to fill in for Mega Mawile.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
So I'm just gonna give out an opinion. Mega Mawile is quite broken indeed. Having to run unorthodox things, sack a Pokemon or two, along with having an amazing cast of Pokemon to support is a great reason. On Fairy, Mega Mawile has Togekiss and Klefki backing it up while on Steel, it has Heatran and Skarmory. It completely ruins several types such as Ice, Psychic, most of Bug, Dark, Dragon, Rock, and Fighting. It's crazy how much destruction it can cause.

On Steel it definitely deserves a ban. It's already got enough bulky attackers and a good alternate choice in Mega Scizor and Mega Metagross. Fairy is kinda iffy in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, Mega Mawile's still broken as hell, just...what can replace it? Fairy lacks a lot of viable physical attackers. Azumarill is one, the other would be what? Slurpuff? Granbull?

In conclusion, I'd say that a ban is in order, just we need to find another physical attacker for Fairy that's just as good to fill in for Mega Mawile.
I think what you said about a ban is reasonable. It WOULD negatively affect how fairy can function against Pokemon that are specially defensive, as Granbull sucks in whatever tier it is in right now, Azumarill only has base 50 attack, although Belly Drum obviously helps, although I do think that BD Slurpuff could see some effective (probably not common, but effective) usage now that it has some coverage/recovery with ORAS (Drain Punch). I do disagree with the necessity to run unorthodox sets to defeat it however. My whole previous 2 posts on this thread were about how I can beat it with common sets. The only weird thing I run is 176 Atk Swampert, which helps in other ways unrelated to Mega Mawile as well.

Also, didn't mention this earlier, but DM35, if you used Heat Wave over Roost, you would have killed the Mawile without losing a Pokemon.

I agree with what Gnief said to an extent... This subject kind of takes shape as a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of situation.

On one hand you could type ban it with Steel losing it and Fairy keeping it. But even then it will be one of the main reason's Fairy can be so dominant. On another hand you could ban it all together and then Steel will be able to function just as well but Fairy might begin to suffer due to the lack of a physically bulky and physically attacking mon. Then the final hand is keeping it on both teams and allowing it to run riot.

Right now I'm kind of in between a type ban and full ban but leaning more towards full ban due to the sheer power it has at it's disposal

Freeroamer

I think what you said about a ban is reasonable. It WOULD negatively affect how fairy can function against Pokemon that are specially defensive, as Granbull sucks in whatever tier it is in right now, Azumarill only has base 50 attack, although Belly Drum obviously helps, although I do think that BD Slurpuff could see some effective (probably not common, but effective) usage now that it has some coverage/recovery with ORAS (Drain Punch). I do disagree with the necessity to run unorthodox sets to defeat it however. My whole previous 2 posts on this thread were about how I can beat it with common sets. The only weird thing I run is 176 Atk Swampert, which helps in other ways unrelated to Mega Mawile as well.

Also, didn't mention this earlier, but DM35, if you used Heat Wave over Roost, you would have killed the Mawile without losing a Pokemon.
If a pokemon is broken, it's broken. It doesn't matter if the type is negatively affected by it, they just have to work around it. One solution could be running Mixed Diancie, who has 160 base Attack and a 100 BP STAB to abuse it with.

On the Zapdos vs Mawile situation, that was a complete 50-50, there was no best play in that situation. I roosted predicting the Sucker that would've KOed me but it went the other way. It's not as if I had any out there, so just saying if you Heat Waved you beat it is plain wrong cos it's just not that simple.

EDIT: Also the sets there are unorthodox or plain overpreparing for it. ie I shouldn't have to use a screens user+something else just to handle it, and even that that only works once. The fact remains that there are no reliable ways of handling it outside the Fire types I mentioned, or very specific other stuff like Weezing.

Last edited:
In all honesty, I believe that Pinsir-Mega is a broken Pokemon within the Monotype realm. Pinsir-Mega can set up Swords Dance on many things and most types don't have a Pokemon available that is well equipped to deal with it. Then it can proceed to sweep with it's choice of Return, Quick Attack, Earthquake, Stone Edge, and Close Combat. That's all I'll say for now because I want to hear all of your opinions on the matter. ^_^

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
If a pokemon is broken, it's broken. It doesn't matter if the type is negatively affected by it, they just have to work around it. One solution could be running Mixed Diancie, who has 160 base Attack and a 100 BP STAB to abuse it with.

On the Zapdos vs Mawile situation, that was a complete 50-50, there was no best play in that situation. I roosted predicting the Sucker that would've KOed me but it went the other way. It's not as if I had any out there, so just saying if you Heat Waved you beat it is plain wrong cos it's just not that simple.

EDIT: Also the sets there are unorthodox or plain overpreparing for it. ie I shouldn't have to use a screens user+something else just to handle it, and even that that only works once. The fact remains that there are no reliable ways of handling it outside the Fire types I mentioned, or very specific other stuff like Weezing.
I just wanted to point out that as soon as Mega Mawile got a Swords Dance up, that didn't instantly make the game unwinnable. +2 Sucker and Play Rough can both KO Zapdos from full health (not sure about Sucker though) so using Heat Wave and hoping that it was gonna use Play Rough (like it did) was your best option in that situation Imo. Or, if Zapdos did die, than you bring out Skarm to Whirlwind it away. Then bring out Lando to use Calm Mind and set up and sweep. I was just pointingout that you had options, and could have won that game.

Also,most of my sets are generic, and are useful against more than just M-Mawile. The few that aren't generic are ones that I have found more useful overall than the generic sets. I have never made a team around beating Mega Mawile, or even created one Pokemon centred around countering it. I can just adapt my playstyle to the situation, and beat the Mawile. Also, if you usescreens, Ithinkyou will find them useful against just about every match up, not just against Mega Mawile.

Also, Mummy Cofagriguscan help beat it by halving its attack by changing Huge Power to Mummy (just on Ghost though). Most ghost teams carry a user of WoW as well, so that's quartering its attack.

Sorry if this is unclear, wrote this on myglitchytablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)