Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My team is Greninja, Salamence, Aegilsash, Zapdos, Blaziken, Liepard. It does pretty nicely, considering Zapdos is a god against bird spam and Greninja sweeps very well late game. Liepard is just there to prevent opponents from bringing stall pokemon.

But honestly, after watching a lot of high ladder battles on niconico, a lot of people don't really have the most common pokemon in their teams. For example, みょん, one of the highest ranking players in every season, ONLY uses gen 1 pokemon (the strongest genwunner of all time lol). Another person who reached the #1 spot in XY singles was using a Glalie (it was a stall variant for moody boosts, but still... it's a Glalie). There was also an Eeveelution team that made it pretty far, but I don't remember how far exactly. I think it's best to go with pokemon you used a lot in your double battles since there will be a lot of experience behind the decisions you'll be making, which is the most important key to winning imo. A lot of doubles pokemon are also viable in singles, so just make sure you have a team that covers each others' weaknesses and you should be fine.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm interested in doing ORAS 3v3 singles, can anyone recommend what Pokemon I should use to try and climb the ladder? I know its considered lazy but theres no real updated literature for people trying to get into it.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm interested in doing ORAS 3v3 singles, can anyone recommend what Pokemon I should use to try and climb the ladder? I know its considered lazy but theres no real updated literature for people trying to get into it.
As a basic starting point, you can't go far wrong with OU viable pokes from the start of ORAS. Everything from Ttar to Mmence would be good. There's a few threads here that detail it but it's not including ORAS.

Check out this site: http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/oras/
It has usage stats for the Battle Spot. Generally speaking, pokemon with higher usage are better, so using a few of the top 12 with some other pokemon which go well with them is a good strategy for winning.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This question gets asked so often, if you go through a couple of the most recent pages in this thread you will see a couple of good responses. Like a0161613 said, most OU viable 'mons translate their viability well into Battle Spot, this is obvious when checking out the PGL usage statistics (the link coolking49 posted). At the moment the top 12 is (in the ORAS league) Garchomp, Aegislash, Talonflame, Rotom, Salamence, Gengar, Porygon2, Blaziken, Kangaskhan, Cresselia, Azumarill and Greninja. That isn't to say you should just slap together a team consisting of 6 of those, you're highly encouraged to use things that you like, especially since surprise / good gimmick sets are quite powerful in the fast-paced 3v3 environment. The idea is to start with something you want to build your team around and go from there (it's hard to give you advice without this information). For some inspiraton you can check out the Sample Teams thread to see what other people are running, there's also the RMT / Teambuilding discussion thread which you can check out once you're in the process of building your team.

I'd say welcome to Smogon but it appears you've been a member for 4 years! Way to wait for your first post, lol

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Hey guys, I've been out for a while, and I'll still be sparse at least for a week, but I wanted to let everyone know I'm not dead yet. ^_^

Okay, question relevant to this section...what's mega evolution do you run into most often on ORAS battle spot?

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader
Hey guys, I've been out for a while, and I'll still be sparse at least for a week, but I wanted to let everyone know I'm not dead yet. ^_^

Okay, question relevant to this section...what's mega evolution do you run into most often on ORAS battle spot?
Mega Sableye, I found a way to stop megamence and still troll sweep other mons

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Actually, still Mega Kangaskhan which is really depressing :[ You don't see as much of Mega Salamence as you'd expect (still a good amount, obviously) and a couple of the other OR/AS megas even though the new toy syndrome is starting to fade, but yeah. It's still definitely Kang's meta.

Hi guys, I have for a long time relied on smogon's write-ups of pokemon and strategies. However, now I play mostly battle spot and I only use showdown for challenge cup. So I find it frustrating that smogon's pokemon analysis always assume you are playing the smogon metagame, where anything terribly inconvenient is banished to 'ubers' or whatever you call it now. Anyway dont want to start a rant about that. Just wondering where to find write-ups, guides, strategies, and analysis for NON-smogon metagames...as in, where anything goes. If someone could direct me to a specific thread about this or another site, that would be awesome, thanks. Trying to gather information from threads is difficult because they tend to meander off-topic or focus too much on doubles/triples. I just want pokemon strategy analysis for ORAS battle spot singles, basically, which don't assume certain pokemon won't be present.

Hi guys, I have for a long time relied on smogon's write-ups of pokemon and strategies. However, now I play mostly battle spot and I only use showdown for challenge cup. So I find it frustrating that smogon's pokemon analysis always assume you are playing the smogon metagame, where anything terribly inconvenient is banished to 'ubers' or whatever you call it now. Anyway dont want to start a rant about that. Just wondering where to find write-ups, guides, strategies, and analysis for NON-smogon metagames...as in, where anything goes. If someone could direct me to a specific thread about this or another site, that would be awesome, thanks. Trying to gather information from threads is difficult because they tend to meander off-topic or focus too much on doubles/triples. I just want pokemon strategy analysis for ORAS battle spot singles, basically, which don't assume certain pokemon won't be present.
I hate to be bad news bear here but, when your on smogon people expect you to be playing smogon metagames, thats kind of why your on smogon. Overall there isn't really a community that specializes in battle spot (as far as i know). ummm..... the best its gonna get is this forum, and thats not a bad thing. There are a lot of people that can help you here and have battle spot smarts.

I hate to be bad news bear here but, when your on smogon people expect you to be playing smogon metagames, thats kind of why your on smogon. Overall there isn't really a community that specializes in battle spot (as far as i know). ummm..... the best its gonna get is this forum, and thats not a bad thing. There are a lot of people that can help you here and have battle spot smarts.
Well, yes does seem to be the case now, but back in my day (old man rant), smogon wasn't quite so polarizing and the analysis were more general. It's especially annoying to read an analysis on normal pokemon that smogon has lumped with ubers, such as blaziken and salamence, when you just want to use them in battle spot rated, where they won't be facing any ubers. I'm really not trying to put-down the "smogon metagame" I simply don't play it anymore so my opinion doesn't matter. I'm just wondering if anyone can direct me to articles written in a similar style but that do not assume the smogon tiering system is in use.

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader
Well, yes does seem to be the case now, but back in my day (old man rant), smogon wasn't quite so polarizing and the analysis were more general. It's especially annoying to read an analysis on normal pokemon that smogon has lumped with ubers, such as blaziken and salamence, when you just want to use them in battle spot rated, where they won't be facing any ubers. I'm really not trying to put-down the "smogon metagame" I simply don't play it anymore so my opinion doesn't matter. I'm just wondering if anyone can direct me to articles written in a similar style but that do not assume the smogon tiering system is in use.
Well the viability rankings thread has some rough ideas of possible sets for Battle Spot, you could go there and start making your sets, sorry I can't help more

one thing is that most pokemon that have sets in OU and Ubers can transition into battle spot and be quite effective. You just need to know what threats you should be on the lookout for and change the set based on that.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I know exactly what you're asking for, but unfortunately it doesn't exist. I've been wanting to float the idea of adding 'Battle Spot' analyses in the C&C forum but there just isn't a need for them, and they would never be completed with the need for Smogon's tiers and VGC analyses being done at the same time. There also aren't enough players here to be able to share the workload of writing them all, and not enough people with great knowledge of the meta to be able to CC them. As far as movesets go, OU and Ubers analyses can pretty much be copy-pasted here, and EVs are basically the same, so I would honestly just use those as templates to work off when building Battle Spot teams. You can also use the PGL usage statistics to learn what's popular in the meta and how they're being used so you can account for them appropriately when teambuilding. We also have a Viability Ranking thread for XY singles, there isn't one yet for ORAS because the meta is still young so everyone is still playing around with the new megas and stuff. There's also the Teambuilding / RMT thread where you can post your team and ask for help

can anyone pm me and help me make a singles, double, and triples team?

this is what I'm running:

Mega Blaziken
Ability: Speed Boost
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 ATT/ 252 Speed/ 4 HP
IVs: Att/Def/SpDef/Def/Speed
-High Jump Kick
-Flare Blitz
-Protect
-Baton Pass

I usually start with Blaziken. Use protect to get my first speed boost. Then if I can fight i'll use my STAB flare blitz or high jump kick. If not I will baton pass out.

Gengar w/ Black Sludge (special offensive)
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Speed / 252 SpDef/ 4 HP
IVS: 6
-Hex
-Will O Wisp
-Taunt
-Substitute

Milotic and Gengar go nicely together. If the other Pokemon is poisoned I can just hex. If not, I can substitute and scout out what to do. Then I will follow with taunt if i think i will be hit with moves that cant kill me or i will use will o wisp and then hex.

Milotic @ Leftovers (physical defensive)
Ability: Marvel Scale
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4Spd
IVs: 5 (HP, Sp. Att, Sp. Def, Speed, sss)
-Toxic
-Recover
-Ice Beam
-Scald

STAB is scald. Ice beam to cover dragons and other threats. Toxic and recover to try and kill some pokemon off.

My weakest link seems to Blaziken every time. Maybe I should Mega Charizard Y Instead or a physical attacker? I just don't know....

Last edited:

Mega Blaziken
-High Jump Kick
-Flare Blitz
-Protect
-Baton Pass

I usually start with Blaziken. Use protect to get my first speed boost. Then if I can fight i'll use my STAB flare blitz or high jump kick. If not I will baton pass out.

-Hex
-Will O Wisp
-Taunt
-Substitute

Milotic and Gengar go nicely together. If the other Pokemon is poisoned I can just hex. If not, I can substitute and scout out what to do. Then I will follow with taunt if i think i will be hit with moves that cant kill me or i will use will o wisp and then hex.

-Toxic
-Recover
-Ice Beam
-Scald

STAB is scald. Ice beam to cover dragons and other threats. Toxic and recover to try and kill some pokemon off.

My weakest link seems to Blaziken every time. Maybe I should Mega Charizard Y Instead or a physical attacker? I just don't know....
I'm a bit rusty, but... No 30/31 HP IV on Blaziken? And why 252SpD on Gengar? Not to mention Gengar's running not-so-offensive moves for a "special attacker". Perhaps your issue could be due to low HP IV on Blaziken? And might want to look into re-allocating Gengar's EVs and moves.

Mega Blaziken
-High Jump Kick
-Flare Blitz
-Protect
-Baton Pass

-Hex
-Will O Wisp
-Taunt
-Substitute

-Toxic
-Recover
-Ice Beam
-Scald

You need better IVs on your pokes. While its probably not the reason, not having a perfect HP iv on Blaziken and no perfect def iv on Milotic hurts.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay

Mega Blaziken
-High Jump Kick
-Flare Blitz
-Protect
-Baton Pass

-Hex
-Will O Wisp
-Taunt
-Substitute

-Toxic
-Recover
-Ice Beam
-Scald

Weird, Blaziken seems to be the only one with a half-decent build. I would recommend rebreeding it to get a flawless one. I prefer Adamant since Speed Boost already gives you crazy speed anyway.

I think you may have meant specially defensive on Gengar, since it isn't running any special attack EVs or reliable special attacks. Gengar does not make use of a defensive set well at all due to its low defensive stats. It's better to just go all out with an offensive set, perhaps making use of Focus Sash and Destiny Bond. Using Sub and Taunt in the way that you explained makes no sense at all. If you use Substitute then you're opponent is forced to attack to break it anyway, why would you use Taunt in that situation? If you want to use a defensive Gengar set then I would recommend using Mega Gengar as it's a little bulkier and traps things with Shadow Tag so it can prey on things that don't threaten it (non Crunch/Earthquake Mega Kanga etc.).

I really don't think Milotic is that viable on Battle Spot. Sure it's pretty bulky but the Meta is too fast paced and full of heavy hitters that threaten it too much. I've found the best way to use it is as a Rest-Talk set as that actually makes use of Marvel Scale and allows you to stall out things with Toxic.

I also don't understand why you're only using three Pokemon. Is that your whole team? Do you take any others with you and just not chose them? Only going with three gives your opponent a huge advantage in Team Preview because they already know what you're running.

My advice to you is to scope out the Singles Viability Rankings thread and get some ideas from there. There's also the RMT thread where you can find things that have worked for other users. Many OU Pokemon maintain their viability here so maybe look up some teams / analyses for some inspiration. You can also play Battle Spot on Pokemon Showdown which is great for practicing since you don't have to spend the time breeding

well truth is i haven't fulled ev trained them yet, i just put down the evs I plan to use.

so would a destiny bond set be better for gengar then?

i also have scizor, sylveon, and charizard on there. gengar and charizard r only ones with 6ivs and max evs.

scizor has perfect ivs though event though its 5. sylveon is missing def.

I have a 3iv Gyarados. My suicune is quiet nature, so I don't know if that could work over Milotic.

Last edited:
well truth is i haven't fulled ev trained them yet, i just put down the evs I plan to use.

so would a destiny bond set be better for gengar then?

i also have scizor, sylveon, and charizard on there. gengar and charizard r only ones with 6ivs and max evs.
Would really advise you to breed for better IVs then before you start EV-ing them. Shouldn't be that hard using Gen 6 breeding mechanics.

Would really advise you to breed for better IVs then before you start EV-ing them. Shouldn't be that hard using Gen 6 breeding mechanics.
and i gave wrong ivs on Milotic. Milotic is HP/Def/SpDef/Att/Speed. Missing max in sp. att. I think I will ditch Milotic because it gets a UU rating. I did remove recover and dragon tails as moves and added rest and sleep talk per suggestion made.

on hand, pokemon with perfect ivs I have are:

-scizor, shiny gengar, shiny charizard, dragonite

Sylveon is not 30 in def, Blaziken is not 30 in hp, and I also have an umbreon with same stats as Sylveon.

This is my second blaziken and sylveon, so I don't want to breed for better ivs on them again. In my opinion, it takes too long. and i think the ivs isn't what is killing me. I also have a gardevoir missing perfect in it's sp. att atat. I have a perfect 5iv sceptile. i also have a 6iv zoruark.

Below is an updated model of my team, but for Blaziken and Greninja I still need to work on their EVs:

Blaziken @ Blazikenite (Mega Blaziken sweeper baton passer)
IVs: 5 max (Att/Def/SpDef/Def/Speed)
-High Jump Kick
-Flare Blitz
-Thunder Punch
-Protect

High Jump Kick is a little risky, but is going to be dealing better damage than Low Kick even on most heavy enemies. Protect is there to ensure you get at least one stage of Speed Boost. Since his primary purpose is to pass Speed to your other pokemon, he'll be of most use once you've punched some holes in the opposition, but they may still have speedy threats on their side that you'd lose to if they're allowed to hit first. However, he also acts as a wallbreaker because he has massive power on his own and there's not that many things that resist both Fighting and Fire and have the defenses to stand up to his attacks. You'll have to watch out for things like non-Mega Gyarados, Altaria and Mega Altaria, and Pelipper.

Gengar @ Black Sludge (special offensive)
EVs: 252 Speed / 252 Sp. Att / 4 HP
IVS: 6 max ivs
-Energy Ball
-Focus Blast
-Shadow Ball
-Thunderbolt

I chose a more offensive direction for him to go, trading his Hex out for the overall-more-powerful shadow ball and giving him Thunderbolt for additional coverage. Sludge Bomb is a good STAB move, for fairy coverrage. I am also using energy ball for more coverage against water types. I have thunderbolt for coverage on flying types and focus blast to hit tanky pokemon like ferrathorn.

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
EVs:252 HP/ 252 Def / 4 SpD
IVs: 4 max (hp, sp. att, att, speed)
-Hydro Pump
-Dark Pulse
-Grass Knot
-Ice Beam

Ice Beam to counter dragon types. Grass knot to hit other water types and heavy type pokemon. Dark Pulse is for ghost and psychic types. Hydro Pump is to hit fire type threats. I chose focus sash because it gives me an opportunity to make sure I get at least one hit in with Greninja.

EDIT: doesn't smogon have a mentor program or something? Also, after this team I plan on starting to breed pokemon I have for my doubles and triples team. Can my doubles and triples team be the same?

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
and i gave wrong ivs on Milotic. Milotic is HP/Def/SpDef/Att/Speed. Missing max in sp. att.

on hand with perfect ivs I have:

-scizor, gengar, charizard, dragonite

Sylveon is not 30 in def, Blaziken is not 30 in hp, and I also have an umbreon with same stats as sylveon.

This is my second blaziken and sylveon, so I don't want to breed for better ivs on them again. In my opinion, it takes too long. and i think the ivs isn't what is killing me. I also have a gardevoir missing perfect in it's sp. att atat. I have a perfect 5iv sceptile. i also have a 6iv zoruark.

Below is an updated model of my team, but for Blaziken and Greninja I still need to work on their EVs:

Blaziken @ Blazikenite (Mega Blaziken sweeper baton passer)
IVs: 5 max (Att/Def/SpDef/Def/Speed)
-High Jump Kick
-Flare Blitz
-Thunder Punch
-Protect

High Jump Kick is a little risky, but is going to be dealing better damage than Low Kick even on most heavy enemies. Protect is there to ensure you get at least one stage of Speed Boost. Since his primary purpose is to pass Speed to your other pokemon, he'll be of most use once you've punched some holes in the opposition, but they may still have speedy threats on their side that you'd lose to if they're allowed to hit first. However, he also acts as a wallbreaker because he has massive power on his own and there's not that many things that resist both Fighting and Fire and have the defenses to stand up to his attacks. You'll have to watch out for things like non-Mega Gyarados, Altaria and Mega Altaria, and Pelipper.

Gengar @ Black Sludge (special offensive)
EVs: 252 Speed / 252 Sp. Att / 4 HP
IVS: 6 max ivs
-Energy Ball
-Focus Blast
-Shadow Ball
-Thunderbolt

I chose a more offensive direction for him to go, trading his Hex out for the overall-more-powerful shadow ball and giving him Thunderbolt for additional coverage. Sludge Bomb is a good STAB move, for fairy coverrage. I am also using energy ball for more coverage against water types. I have thunderbolt for coverage on flying types and focus blast to hit tanky pokemon like ferrathorn.

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
EVs:252 HP/ 252 Def / 4 SpD
IVs: 4 max (hp, sp. att, att, speed)
-Hydro Pump
-Dark Pulse
-Grass Knot
-Ice Beam

Ice Beam to counter dragon types. Grass knot to hit other water types and heavy type pokemon. Dark Pulse is for ghost and psychic types. Hydro Pump is to hit fire type threats. I chose focus sash because it gives me an opportunity to make sure I get at least one hit in with Greninja.

EDIT: doesn't smogon have a mentor program or something?
I wanted to reply to your original post but you've gone and edited it so I can no longer see it. Anyway...

You're too caught up in using things you have on hand, you need to be more flexible and willing to breed more (perfect) stuff. Having 5 perfect IVs in the relevant stats (missing the non attacking stat) is what you want to aim for. I don't want to sound harsh but you need to realise that breeding is an important part of the game and you can't be lazy about it just because it takes ages. If you haven't already got one, go and get a 6iv Ditto from here which will speed things up for you. For information on what is being used in the metagame go here, you will find stuff like the top 12 most used Pokemon and what their most popular moves / items / etc. are so you know what to prepare for, you can also look at things that you like and use their most used moves and stuff yourself. Lastly, use Pokemon Showdown! to practice before spending the time to breed. I did say not to be lazy when breeding but I fully understand how disheartening it can be to spend that time and then find out it doesn't work.

For Pokemon sets, I strongly recommend looking at the Smogon Strategy Dex (located on the home page). Even though those aren't Battle Spot specific sets, they translate their effectiveness here.

Looking at what you have available; Scizor, Gengar, Charizard and Dragonite are all very good to use here, and they all have several good sets to consider so I won't suggest any here. The changes you've made to Gengar are god, except Black Sludge is silly. You won't be on the field long enough to recover much health, I would maybe give it a Life Orb since Greninja has the Sash, or give him the Sash (and Destiny Bond) and give Gren the Life Orb

To answer your question; yes smogon does have a Tutor Program, although I'm not exactly sure on how it works since I've never done it. I'm sure if you look around there or message one of the mentors you will find what you're looking for

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)