Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

I'm sorry I am just getting confused by all this. I am taking the easy rode and using a Ev calculator and my Garchomps speed is supposed to be at 169 after I input the EV's and IV's. Won't it mess it up by leveling up and EV training ti at the same time?
No. Again, the only thing that affects your EVs is the type of Pokemon you defeat. Exp and leveling up does absolutly NOTHING to your EVs.

For example in the case of your Garchomp, as long as you have 252 Speed EVs on a +Speed nature Garchomp, you will have 169 Speed at Lvl 50.

Xylen

Perfect Harmony.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm sorry I am just getting confused by all this. I am taking the easy rode and using a Ev calculator and my Garchomps speed is supposed to be at 169 after I input the EV's and IV's. Won't it mess it up by leveling up and EV training ti at the same time?

Your stats will change depends on the EVs you have. Leveling doesnt really affect it.

So how many attack EV's will I get with a horde battle of Shuppet with Power Bracer on? If I get 1 EV per Shu8ppet that equals 5 in horde battle +4 from Power Bracer so I would get 9 EV's in total from a Horde battle correct?

Last edited:

Xylen

Perfect Harmony.
So how many attack EV's will I get with a horde battle of Shuppet with Power Bracer on? If I get 1 EV per Shu8ppet that equals 5 in horde battle +4 from Power Bracer so I would get 9 EV's in total from a Horde battle correct?
You get 5 per shuppet, so a total of 25. With PokeRus, its 50.

Oh ok so just 11 hordes and with the 11th just take out 2 since PokeRus is near to impossible to get legitetly. Alright Awesome
You don't have to worry about taking out just 2. The game caps at 252 max on a stat, and even if you kill more nothing is added. No points will be added to other stats either, don't worry. And it's pretty easy to get Pokerus these days, you can easily get it from Wonder Trade or from other players.

Just incase if I lose track of getting 252 EV's I can keep battling hordes of shuppets and just to make sure I have 252 even though I already have it, but I don't know that I am still battling to make sure it won't affect anything right?

You don't have to worry about taking out just 2. The game caps at 252 max on a stat, and even if you kill more nothing is added. No points will be added to other stats either, don't worry. And it's pretty easy to get Pokerus these days, you can easily get it from Wonder Trade or from other players.
lol yeah I got a random lvl 96 ditto with pokerus

Also I should make sure I max out all my EV's before I hit level 50 correct?

Last edited by a moderator:

Xylen

Perfect Harmony.
It doesnt matter what level you are. The stats will scale according to your evs, For example, At lv 26, Koffing will have 62 Defense with 31 Def IVs 0 Def EVs , It'll have 78 Defense with 252 Def EVS and 31 Def IVs.

It really doesn't matter at all what lvl your Pokemon are. Level has no effect on your EVs. If you intend on using them in competitive play there's an option that autoscales your Pokemon's levels to 50 anyway.

EDIT: Xylen beat me to the punch.

It really doesn't matter at all what lvl your Pokemon are. Level has no effect on your EVs. If you intend on using them in competitive play there's an option that autoscales your Pokemon's levels to 50 anyway.

EDIT: Xylen beat me to the punch.
Oh ok so if I have a fully EV trained pokemon at level 1 it will bring it to level 50 with it's level 50 fully EV trained stats correct?

Sorry bad example

If my Gible was fully EV trained in Attack at level 16 with its attack stat at 42. If I play in VGC or ranked it will automatically bring it up to level 50 stats correct?

I have a question for my Jolly Garchomp. I completely forgot Outrage was an egg move and I don't have it. Any good sets that I can run without it? Should I just replace it with Dragon Claw?

I have a question for my Jolly Garchomp. I completely forgot Outrage was an egg move and I don't have it. Any good sets that I can run without it? Should I just replace it with Dragon Claw?
You can certainly use dragon claw on garchomp.

A decent set is stealth rock/swords dance/EQ (or stone edge)/dclaw for an offensive stealth rock setter.
You can give this set the rocky helmet, leftovers or the garchompite and it'll still work quite well.

You can even replace rocks with poison jab, stone edge with rock slide and experiment with other moves to increase coverage if you're carrying another rock setter.
Just tank attack and speed, you don't need outrage to be an effective physical sweeper (though it can help). I find that Outrage can even be less useful than other attacks in some circumstances. The opponent can freely switch in fairies or physical walls to absorb your damage or setup on you while you're locked in and/or switching Pokémon.

You could also try run a scarf set with EQ/Dclaw/Rock Slide (or stone edge)/filler (poison or fire type moves) with max atk and speed.

In summary? Yes, you should just replace it with Dragon Claw and compensate for the loss of power with additional coverage in another moveslot.

Oh ok so if I have a fully EV trained pokemon at level 1 it will bring it to level 50 with it's level 50 fully EV trained stats correct?

If my Gible was fully EV trained in Attack at level 16 with its attack stat at 42. If I play in VGC or ranked it will automatically bring it up to level 50 stats correct?
Yes.
See roxanne's post above. Outrage is basically for more power; it can pick up some KOs that Dragon Claw can't, at the cost of locking you in for 2-3 turns. If you're not worried about power then roxanne has some great suggestions.

You can certainly use dragon claw on garchomp.

A decent set is stealth rock/swords dance/EQ (or stone edge)/dclaw for an offensive stealth rock setter.
You can give this set the rocky helmet, leftovers or the garchompite and it'll still work quite well.

You can even replace rocks with poison jab, stone edge with rock slide and experiment with other moves to increase coverage if you're carrying another rock setter.
Just tank attack and speed, you don't need outrage to be an effective physical sweeper (though it can help). I find that Outrage can even be less useful than other attacks in some circumstances. The opponent can freely switch in fairies or physical walls to absorb your damage or setup on you while you're locked in and/or switching Pokémon.

You could also try run a scarf set with EQ/Dclaw/Rock Slide (or stone edge)/filler (poison or fire type moves) with max atk and speed.

In summary? Yes, you should just replace it with Dragon Claw and compensate for the loss of power with additional coverage in another moveslot.
So I actually like your suggestions just a quick question or two.

Do you think it would be best to Run Dragon Claw/EQ/Crunch/Poison Jab? Since I have Gallade, Magnezone, Sylveon, Chansey, and Infernape on my team and none of them can cover Ghost types and Cruch can help Gallade out since Gallade isn't non resistant to ghost. Or would Choice Scarf just take away the super effective coverage since I can only use 1 move?

So I actually like your suggestions just a quick question or two.

Do you think it would be best to Run Dragon Claw/EQ/Crunch/Poison Jab? Since I have Gallade, Magnezone, Sylveon, Chansey, and Infernape on my team and none of them can cover Ghost types and Cruch can help Gallade out since Gallade isn't non resistant to ghost. Or would Choice Scarf just take away the super effective coverage since I can only use 1 move?
What is your Gallade set? It appears to be Mega Gallade just from the make up of your team, and Mega Gallade should be running Knock Off as a standard move. Get rid of Crunch on Garchomp for something like Stone Edge or Rock Slide. You don't really need Poison Jab, it only really hits Fairies, which you have semi-checks to in Magnezone and Chansey. Consider Fire Fang or Fire Blast instead, or even the Offensive Stealth Rock setter instead.

EDIT: Also at this point, if you need tips on the build of your team, consider making an RMT thread in this forum here. Make sure you read the forum rules here before you post.

What is your Gallade set? It appears to be Mega Gallade just from the make up of your team, and Mega Gallade should be running Knock Off as a standard move. Get rid of Crunch on Garchomp for something like Stone Edge or Rock Slide. You don't really need Poison Jab, it only really hits Fairies, which you have semi-checks to in Magnezone and Chansey. Consider Fire Fang or Fire Blast instead, or even the Offensive Stealth Rock setter instead.
I am currently using Infernape as my SR user. Also I don't think I can get Fire Fang since I never got the option to learn it only Dragon Rage

EDIT: Also at this point, if you need tips on the build of your team, consider making an RMT thread in this forum here. Make sure you read the forum rules here before you post.
Alright, thank you :)

Hello all! I'm going to be getting Omega Ruby with the New 3DS in February!
I'm trying to plan my team ahead of time, and pretty new to all these newer pokemon. So I will let you know what I'm looking for in my team and hope you guys can give me the best results with your experience.

Basically, I just want a competitive team that's pretty much a big tank. I want the best of the best when it comes to defense, the best wall that is just annoying to get past, and deadly.

Currently I have these contestants, if you don't disagree.

Shuckle, Chansey (with E. Light), Aegislash (defense stance).

Someone mentioned Probopass as well, so I'll consider him too.

Note that I'm going for a regular real team, not legendaries and all that casual stuff. Thanks!

Hello all! I'm going to be getting Omega Ruby with the New 3DS in February!
I'm trying to plan my team ahead of time, and pretty new to all these newer pokemon. So I will let you know what I'm looking for in my team and hope you guys can give me the best results with your experience.

Basically, I just want a competitive team that's pretty much a big tank. I want the best of the best when it comes to defense, the best wall that is just annoying to get past, and deadly.

Currently I have these contestants, if you don't disagree.

Shuckle, Chansey (with E. Light), Aegislash (defense stance).

Someone mentioned Probopass as well, so I'll consider him too.

Note that I'm going for a regular real team, not legendaries and all that casual stuff. Thanks!
Hey, Well to answer that question we first need to know more about what the team is being used for (ex: is it an OU team, Dooubles, VGC, or its is just play wth friends type of team). I say this because the mons you listed are in very different tiers with Aegislash being in Ubers and therefore unable to be used in OU or bellow if using smogon tiers. While if you using Vgc then most things but legandaries are allowed. Also you seem to be new so Welcome, if you are confused or have any other questions you can ask in this thread, pm me or a mentor or even use our help form at : http://www.smogon.com/mentorship/help

So I have a quick question.

If I have fully trained my Gible at level 20 would I need to level it up to 50? I know if you play ranked it will automatically be level 50 in the battle, but would my Gible automatically turn to a Garchomp and will all my stats be what it would be at level 50?

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

If I have fully trained my Gible at level 20 would I need to level it up to 50? I know if you play ranked it will automatically be level 50 in the battle, but would my Gible automatically turn to a Garchomp and will all my stats be what it would be at level 50?
Nope, you gotta level to 50

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Nope you'll have to evolve it

edit: minus... :[

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Would getting it to level 100 be better or would it not matter due to all competitive battles being level 50?
it wouldn't matter as long as you go above 50, but it does if you're below. All stats will be reduced to what they would be at level 50.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)