Side Monotype Bo3 Mini-Tour [Won by TheAce22]

Status
Not open for further replies.

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Last edited:
For future tours can we remove gen5? Sorry to older playas but that meta was messed up. Like only 3 types viable, (maybe 4) with the top one being STAB spam. Maybe monothreat?

DoW

formally Death on Wings
For future tours can we remove gen5? Sorry to older playas but that meta was messed up. Like only 3 types viable, (maybe 4) with the top one being STAB spam. Maybe monothreat?
I don't agree with this at all. Sure, some people don't know the meta, but it's far more varied than people seem to think. Water and Dragon are very strong, it's true, but types such as psychic, fighting, normal, steel, ice, fire etc. are still very good in the hands of someone who knows how to use them. I prefer flying which is the gen V equivalent of rock due to the stealth rock weakness and lack of spinners, among other things, but I still manage to win plenty of games with it.

tl;dr I think if Gen V is removed due to players not knowing it that's one thing, but it shouldn't be removed due to being a bad meta; it most certainly isn't. I'm also not convinced monothreat is that much better in terms of people having actually played it.

I don't agree with this at all. Sure, some people don't know the meta, but it's far more varied than people seem to think. Water and Dragon are very strong, it's true, but types such as psychic, fighting, normal, steel, ice, fire etc. are still very good in the hands of someone who knows how to use them. I prefer flying which is the gen V equivalent of rock due to the stealth rock weakness and lack of spinners, among other things, but I still manage to win plenty of games with it.

tl;dr I think if Gen V is removed due to players not knowing it that's one thing, but it shouldn't be removed due to being a bad meta; it most certainly isn't. I'm also not convinced monothreat is that much better in terms of people having actually played it.
If anything replace it with a choice of mono om (like the players choose a mono om they want to do)
Or it could be a Bo5 w/ ORAS, Gen 5, lower tier, mono om, mono om :)
EDIT: also gen 1 mono could be cool :v

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Just don't do monothreat, that takes away a lot of team building skills and makes some matchups unbearable. Like HO dragon mirror is a doozy, while stall steel mirror is even worse.

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We'll have mono OMs in bigger tours like the league championship or Mono PL, which are coming up after OM Grand Slam. I agree with DoW that gen5 is more diverse than this tour is indicating.

Reactions: DoW

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Er I kinda disagree, a lot of the types you are saying are good have negative matchups vs Dragon, because it has something for each of the types you mentioned as being good, whereas the types can't really respond. For example in my game vs Septicus, I used a Fighting team that in my opinion is a good build, I had 2 scarf users and plenty of offensive presence and got my rocks up early which is usually a huge boon vs Dragon, but in reality I was always going to lose to his scarf Latios however I tried to play, even if I had a Scrafty on my team because I can't risk switching it into Lati meaning he can just pick off mons as he pleases. Dragon also has positive matchups vs Water(try stopping Kyu here) and Fire(lol) while it can run Hydreigon for Psychic and Steel just gets taken apart by the sheer amount of Fire / Ground coverage.

I agree that now the tour has been started with gen 5 as part of the bo3 it should continue with it but to say that Dragon isn't the clear dominant type in this metagame is in my opinion false, it's very easy to bring and expect to have an at least playable matchup, whereas other types all have near unplayable matchups against certain types. To a degree it's hard to justify a competitive reason not to bring Dragon. I don't think this is something that can be fixed retrospectively but should be accepted as a limitation of gen 5 monotype in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)