Variations

OM

It's a starstruck world
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I thought I might help with some names for the Variations

for Solar Power you have
Solar Power, Raises Special Attack by 1.5x in Sun, loses Ten Percent of it's health at the end of the turn
Hydro Power, Raises Special Attack by 1.5x in Rain, Loses Ten percent of it's health at the end of the turn
Ancient[?] Power, Raises Special attack by 1.5x in Sandstorm, Loses Ten Percent of it's health at the end of the turn
Glacial Power, Raises Special attack by 1.5x in Hail, Loses Ten Percent of it's health at the end of the turn

For Sand Rush you have
Sand Rush, In Sandstorm, this pokemon's Speed is doubled
Swift Swim, In Rain, this pokemon's speed is doubled
Chlorophyll, In Sun, This Pokemon's Speed is doubled
Snow Sprint, In Hail, This pokemon's Speed is doubled

For Fairy Aura you have
Fairy Aura, Increases the power of all Fairy-type moves in battle to 1.3x.
Dark Aura, Increases the power of all Dark-type moves in battle to 1.3x.
Flame Aura, Increases the power of all Fire-type moves in battle to 1.3x.
Mental/Psionic Aura, Increases the power of all Psychic-type moves in battle to 1.3x.
Growth Aura, Increases the power of all Grass-type moves in battle to 1.3x.
Varied Aura, Increases the chance of all of SpartanMalice's OM Submissions to be accepted by 1.3x.
Oceanic Aura, Increases the power of all Water-type moves in battle to 1.3x.
Gaian Aura, Increases the power of all Ground-type moves in battle to 1.3x.
Energetic Aura, Increases the power of all Electric-type moves in battle to 1.3x.
Generic Aura, Increases the power of all Normal-type moves in battle to 1.3x.
Draconic Aura, Increases the power of all Dragon-type moves in battle to 1.3x.
Shadow Aura, Increases the power of all Ghost-type moves in battle to 1.3x.
Insectial[?] Aura, Increases the power of all Bug-type moves in battle to 1.3x.
Mountain Aura, Increases the power of all Rock-type moves in battle to 1.3x.
Frost Aura, Increases the power of all Ice-type moves in battle to 1.3x.
Metallic Aura, Increases the power of all Steel-type moves in battle to 1.3x.
Toxic Aura, Increases the power of all Poison-type moves in battle to 1.3x.
Wind/Burd Aura, Increases the power of all Flying-type moves in battle to 1.3x.

for Magnet Pull you have
Magnet Pull, Traps Steel Types so they can't Switch Out
Landslide, Traps Rock Types so they can't switch out
Butterfly Net, Traps Bug Types so they can't Switch Out
Infinite Ocean, Traps Water Types so they can Switch Out
Burning Arena, Traps Fire Types so they can't Switch Out
Gale Tornado, Traps Flying Types so they can't Switch Out
Electromagnet, Traps Electric Types so they can't Switch Out
Challenger, Traps Fighting Types so they can't Switch out
Infinite Forest, Traps Grass Types so they can't switch out
Psychikos, Traps Psychic Types so they can't switch out
Sinkhole, Traps Ground Types so they can't Switch Out.
Witching Hour, Traps Ghost Types so they can't Switch out.
Demonic Turmoil, Traps Dark Types so they can't Switch Out
Dragon's Den, Traps Dragon Types so they can't Switch Out
Doorless Room, Traps Fairy Types so they can't Switch Out

Not sure if any of them are good or not, but I thought they might like some names...

Last edited:
I like the name idea! Here's a list of my suggestions, PLEASE feel free to use them and make me famous :)
I won't do the weathers because CorruptedFlame already had good ideas.
Water = Water Absorb
Electric = Volt absorb
Fire = Fire absorb
Ground = Shock absorber
Rock = Rock Collector
Ghost = Ghost Buster
Dark = Nocturnal
Fighting = Punching bag
Normal = Ordinary absorb
Steel = Melting pot
Fairy = Fairy absorb
Bug = Predator
Grass = Herbivor
Dragon = Cave Dweller
Psychic = Mind absorber
Ice = Ice absorb
Flying = Vacuum Cleaner
Poison = Toxin absorber

I tried to stick with the theme of "absorbing" while also being creative sometimes.

Water = Aqua Boost
Electric = Spark Plug
Fire = Smoke Alarm
Ground = Tectonic Boost
Rock = Boulder Boost
Ghost = Phantom Boost
Dark = Night Crawler
Fighting = Boxer
Normal = Normal Boost
Steel = Iron Hand
Fairy = Pixie Boost
Bug = Anteater
Grass = Sap Sipper
Dragon = Dragon Slayer
Psychic = Thought Eater
Ice = SubZero
Flying = Jetstream
Poison = Immune System

Water = Wake
Electric = Motor Drive
Fire = Quick Flame
Ground = Continental Drift
Rock = Mountain Climber
Ghost = Quick Spirited
Dark = Night Fall
Fighting = Quick Jab
Normal = Zippy
Steel = Maleable
Fairy = Quick Pixie
Bug = Dragonfly (fastest insect)
Grass = Seed Spread
Dragon = NightWing
Psychic = Quick Hypnosis
Ice = Quick Freeze
Flying = Streamliner
Poison = Quick Venom

Water = Riverbank
Electric = Supercharge
Fire = Flash Fire
Ground = Shock Wave
Rock = Landslide
Ghost = Flash Phantom
Dark = Shade
Fighting = Counter Strike
Normal = Retaliation
Steel = IronHide
Fairy = Pixie Power
Bug = Gatherer
Grass = Farmer
Dragon = Monster Eater
Psychic = Mental Manipulation
Ice = ReFreeze
Flying = Migrater
Poison = Toxic Build

Rattled was discussed earlier and determined to be "types effective on psychic type raise speed". So they psychic type is what changes, then the speed raising types are only those that are effective on the new type. So if you have Disconnected, only ground moves raise speed.
Water = Drained
Electric = Disconnected
Fire = Choked flames
Ground = Tremors
Rock = Shattered
Ghost = Spooked
Dark = Frightened
Fighting = Coward
Normal = Weak Willed
Steel = Bent Metal
Fairy = Pacifist
Bug = Squashed
Grass = Mowed
Dragon = Slayed
Psychic = Rattled
Ice = Melted
Flying = Crashed
Poison = Antidote

Water = Storm Drain
Electric = Lightning Rod
Fire = Arsonist
Ground = Seismograph
Rock = Spelunker
Ghost = Haunted
Dark = Villain
Fighting = Champion
Normal = Regularity
Steel = Scrapper
Fairy = Group Up
Bug = Mantis Pose
Grass = Agriculturalist
Dragon = Knighthood
Psychic = Energy Wormhole
Ice = Ice Age
Flying = Cumulus
Poison = Vaporize

Wow that took forever. I mean, honestly, I've come up with over 70 names so far, 100+ by the time I finish. I'll work on my list some more later

Last edited:

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
I think I would use Vacuum Cleaner for Flying and Ghost Buster for Ghost, given that the former kind of sucks air into it. I think "Absorb" works fine for Normal given the "plain" nature of the Normal typing. I like most of the names though they probably won't be pickable in teambuilder that way (if the abilities are done via a script), but maybe a status message similar to Mix and Mega's could work.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
for normal absorb, maybe name it "ordinary absorb" for actually making sense in a sentence. "with no special or distinctive features" so basically, an absorbtion with no special or distinctive features...sounds like a perfect fit.

Thanks for the feedback so far, I made those changes because they are good ideas. If it's easier/possible for coders to create the variation abilities with the names rather than hidden power types or fifth move slots or whatever that would be awesome! Feel free to keep giving suggestions for names, I still have to go back and do names for like Storm Drain, justified, etc. As long as you guys think this is something I should keep doing.

I agree that simply making ''new names'' is the easiest way since it doesn't limit you to certain ivs etc. I would however pick names that are close to the original so that it is easier to remember. It might be an idea to have a certain ''name'' for that type.
An example: Fairy type Water Absorb: Pixie Absorb
Fairy type Motor Drive: Pixiedrive
The names might sound derpy but it will be easier to remember and thus implement.

I agree that simply making ''new names'' is the easiest way since it doesn't limit you to certain ivs etc. I would however pick names that are close to the original so that it is easier to remember. It might be an idea to have a certain ''name'' for that type.
An example: Fairy type Water Absorb: Pixie Absorb
Fairy type Motor Drive: Pixiedrive
The names might sound derpy but it will be easier to remember and thus implement.
I see how that's easy to remember, but what bothers me is that they just do make sense. Motor drive is an electrical impulse that kickstarts the pokemons speed stat, a force "powering/driving its motor". When you say "Pixie Drive", this is all I think of.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
I see how that's easy to remember, but what bothers me is that they just do make sense. Motor drive is an electrical impulse that kickstarts the pokemons speed stat, a force "powering/driving its motor". When you say "Pixie Drive", this is all I think of.View attachment 52086
That picture sure made me laugh haha. You're right that it doesn't make too much sense but the problem with totally changing names might mean that it becomes a pet mod instead of an OM. I don't know for sure if changing the name entirely makes this om a pet mod. I like the name changing part since it doesn't cripple your Pokemon with certain ivs / item / etc. Anyways since there are 18 types you'd need to think of 18 different names (well 16/17 if you take the original) and by changing the entire name it would take long to code since you'd have to copy paste the name 1 by 1 for every type.

SpartanMalice

I mean it's certainly possible but will take quite some time to code. As in, you hvae to manually modify each of those abilities 18 times. That's at least 45 x 18 minimum, which would lead to 810 abilities. I'm not quite sure if creating custom abilities would make it OmOTM eligible. I'll get back to you on that.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
I mean it's certainly possible but will take quite some time to code. As in, you hvae to manually modify each of those abilities 18 times. That's at least 45 x 18 minimum, which would lead to 810 abilities. I'm not quite sure if creating custom abilities would make it OmOTM eligible. I'll get back to you on that.
it wouldnt even be eligable to be a OM, it would be forced into pet mod territory. something you COULD do, is change the pokemons name to the "Aspect" so, fire type "levitate" would have the name "fire" and whatnot. defeats a huge "unpredictability" of the meta, but i dont think theres any way around it tbh.

Plates + Silk Scarf, covers all types. It would cripple the Pokémon to being unable to carry another item. Unless you would be able to carry a Plate + Another item. This would however count as a simple rule in choosing the typing without creating new names / nicknames which should make it eligible.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Plates + Silk Scarf, covers all types. It would cripple the Pokémon to being unable to carry another item. Unless you would be able to carry a Plate + Another item. This would however count as a simple rule in choosing the typing without creating new names / nicknames which should make it eligible.
This basically puts a huge burden on choosing one of these abilities, and because it's the point of the metagame I don't think it's a good idea. The change of the meta isn't that huge already, and putting a restriction on it just makes many of these abilities outclassed. Plus, megas can't get them.

SpartanMalice

So I have an idea for this but I'm not sure if it's gonna work out. Basically, hidden power's code is thrown around in three separate files: scripts.js, battle-engine.js and moves.js... now, my idea is to tweak hidden power itself so that it includes Fairy and Normal - it doesn't seem impossible and actually seems simple. The question is, would it become a custom mod then? (Fairy stab is generally only useful for fairies, who only have stronger stabs - and normal pokemon likewise with hidden power normal). Because the effect on gameplay is minimal, but it still a gameplay change.

o I have an idea for this but I'm not sure if it's gonna work out. Basically, hidden power's code is thrown around in three separate files: scripts.js, battle-engine.js and moves.js... now, my idea is to tweak hidden power itself so that it includes Fairy and Normal - it doesn't seem impossible and actually seems simple.
I'm not exactly sure what you're suggesting. Are you proposing determining it by IVs? From what I know standard Hidden Power type determination only allows for 16 types maximum (details here: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hidden_Power_(move)/Calculation ), so any modification would have to completely change the way Hidden Power type is determined in order to allow for 18 types. Also, if you changed it too much, there is an admittedly small but definite side-effect of changing standard sets (e.g. usually, running HP fire or HP fighting needs you to run 30 Spe IVs, but if you changed Hidden Power itself, you might end up changing that requirement.)

anyway, I don't think this makes it eligible for OMotM because Eevee General says that OMs will only be eligible if you can build a team by "normal means" - a.k.a no nicknames, no 5th move hidden powers (same with 6 move meta), nothing that requires you to do something you wouldn't normally do in building a team.

That said I can't conceive of any other feasible way to implement this :/ so I guess IVs are the way to go...?

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
hi there
config/formats.js
Code:
  {
     name: "Variations",
     section: "Other Metagames",
     mod: 'variations',

ruleset: ['OU']
   },
//remove comma if last meta
would get cluttered in a hide tag, so link
mods/variations/abilities.js
Link

Everything changes based off of Hidden Power type. Sorry, no normal or fairy.
Some things to note:
Weathers change! But only if your HP type is Rock, Fire, Ice, or Water. If it's not one of those four, it reverts back to its original effect. This applies for the weather based abilities like Chlorophyll, too.
Magnet Pull might not work. If not, let me know. :]
Flash Fire will still say "Power of Fire-type moves rose!" THIS IS WRONG. The power of its HP type moves rises. I just can't change the text easily. Don't get upset over it please

I didn't code Flower Veil (because it could never effect Florges), Uber-only abilities (like Fairy Aura), and Flower Gift (because Cherrim is bad and spartan said ok)
Scrappy remains uncoded. PS goes about it by removing the immunities for Fighting and Normal. Not removing Ghost's immunities. I could try to work around that if there was a big enough desire, though.

As always, if there's a problem, let me know.

Last edited:
I would personally much rather have the typing of a fifth move be the affected one than having to do Hidden Powers, but I'm glad this is coded nonetheless.

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
I would personally much rather have the typing of a fifth move be the affected one than having to do Hidden Powers, but I'm glad this is coded nonetheless.
The problem is that "any OM that uses nicknames or Import/Export" isn't eligible for OMotM, and having to include a fifth move would use Imp/Exp. I mean, I talked with Spartan on PS today about Hidden Power, and we were both pretty satisfied with the solution. I could pretty easily change it to the fifth move type, but I feel like that would lower the possibility of getting on main and it deserves to be there. If there was a big enough movement for it, though, people would still play it on Aqua and the like.
Yeah I guess it's up to SpartanMalice either way. I'd still play this no matter what though.

The problem is that "any OM that uses nicknames or Import/Export" isn't eligible for OMotM, and having to include a fifth move would use Imp/Exp. I mean, I talked with Spartan on PS today about Hidden Power, and we were both pretty satisfied with the solution. I could pretty easily change it to the fifth move type, but I feel like that would lower the possibility of getting on main and it deserves to be there. If there was a big enough movement for it, though, people would still play it on Aqua and the like.
Yeah I guess it's up to SpartanMalice either way. I'd still play this no matter what though.
I figured that was the reasoning, and I'm not at all mad at you for coding it like this; I just think it would simpler the other way.

On a side note, does anyone have a resource or easy method for setting the correct type through Hidden Power IVs?

Also, I convinced Slayer95 to add this on Pandora :>

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
I figured that was the reasoning, and I'm not at all mad at you for coding it like this; I just think it would simpler the other way.

On a side note, does anyone have a resource or easy method for setting the correct type through Hidden Power IVs?

Also, I convinced Slayer95 to add this on Pandora :>
Click the Hidden Power you want in the teambuilder and it automatically changes the IVs for you. Then you can change Hidden Power to something else, but the IVs will stay the same.

Click the Hidden Power you want in the teambuilder and it automatically changes the IVs for you. Then you can change Hidden Power to something else, but the IVs will stay the same.
There is one problem with that, and that is that there are multiple sets of IVs that result in the same type of Hidden Power, and the one that the Teambuilder selects may not be the most appropriate. For instance, for Dragon, you have a choice of three stats to drop 1 IV in:
  • Dark: All 31
  • Dragon: All 31 except one of HP, Atk, or Def
  • Ice: All 31 except Spe, or alternatively Def and either HP or Atk
  • Psychic: All 31 except Spe and one of HP, Atk, or Def
  • Electric: All 31 except SpA, or alternatively Def and Spe and either HP or Atk
  • Grass: All 31 except SpA and either HP, Atk or Def
  • Water: All 31 except SpA and Spe, or alternatively Atk, Def and SpA
  • Fire: All 31 except Spa, Spe, and either Atk or Def
  • Steel: All 31 except SpD, or alternatively all 30 except HP and SpD
  • Ghost: All 31 except SpD and either Atk or Def
  • Bug: All 31 except SpD and Spe, or alternatively Atk, Def and SpD
  • Rock: All 30 except HP, Atk and SpA, or alternatively Def and SpA
  • Ground: All 31 except SpA and SpD, or alternatively all 30 except SpA
  • Poison: All 30 except HP, Atk and Spe, or alternatively Def and Spe
  • Flying: All 30 except HP, Atk and Def, or alternatively Spe
  • Fighting: All 30 except HP and Atk, or alternatively Def
Note: I have omitted other IV combinations that result in lower stats without changing the hidden power type.

SpartanMalice

Hi all, thanks for your support in this - particularly AWailOfATail for coding it and TheBlueFiretruck for getting it hosted on Pandora.

So Magnet Pull has been causing crashes apparently but the code seems to work great otherwise. Great job AWailOfATail.

Last but not least, it may not change anything since OmOTM voting is almost up, but yeah this was in the voting list so if you can, vote for it imo :)

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
Hi all, thanks for your support in this - particularly AWailOfATail for coding it and TheBlueFiretruck for getting it hosted on Pandora.

So Magnet Pull has been causing crashes apparently but the code seems to work great otherwise. Great job AWailOfATail.

Last but not least, it may not change anything since OmOTM voting is almost up, but yeah this was in the voting list so if you can, vote for it imo :)
Yeah I'll work on Magnet Pull if I get time, figured it might not work. Glad to know it's hosted though!

Yeah I'll work on Magnet Pull if I get time, figured it might not work. Glad to know it's hosted though!
Levitate (Rock Type) does not make Rotom-Fan imune to Stealth Rock, I though I'd mention it in case it is not intentional. (Mountaineer from the CAP-mon 'Syclant' does make him immune to Rock-type damage) The rest seems to work fine though, Latias with Levitate (Dark Type) had a good working immunity to dark moves and my Goodra with Sap Sipper (Ice Type) got an attack buff after being hit by an ice move so those work just fine. :)
EDIT: Pixilate seems to work fine too since an opponent using Hyper Voice on Sylveon did neutral damage to Latias. So good job!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)