Resource ORAS OU Viability Ranking Thread V5 (See Page 43 - Post #1063)

A- ---> B+.

This would be one of my last picks for an offensive fairy. Diance is a better offensive fairy with it's better speed and more useful secondary stab. Choice BAND Azurmaril an knock holes into teams better than this without eating a mega slot. For a middling speed tier mega this doesn't hit quite as hard as it would like to, which is a problem with the metagame becoming bulkier and harder hitting.
I don't know why you are comparing a special wallbreaker to a bulky banded attacker. They are entirely different Pokemon.

Garde already dropped not too long ago, but I don't see any reasons to drop it again. She's still a powerful special attacker with immediate power and it's hard to switch into her Pixelate Hyper Voice. I don't see how 117-base power STAB with 165 special attack "doesn't hit quite as hard as it would like to". Unlike Diancie, Mega Garde already hits very hard without needing calm mind/whatever and she has Taunt. Stall has adapted to Mega Garde, but she still has a very good matchup against Stall.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

Serperior: A- --> A

Honestly, this thing is such a menace right now. I'm mostly speaking on behalf on its SubSeed/SubGlare sets, which are, in my opinion, the best sets to be running in the meta right now. There's so much to like about this mon right now; it takes advantage of the biggest threats in the metagame in Keldeo, Rotom-W, Lando, Diancie, and can break past Clef and once it gets on a roll it even breaks past Scizor, Tyranitar, Azu; you get the point. The best thing about Serperior is that its checks either involve mons that have to be switched in and take either Leech Seed or Glare and get crippled such as Heatran or Torn. The only other way to easily check it is by revenging it with either of these two or mons like Lati/Weavile, showing that it has done its job well. The rise in bulky waters which Serp has no trouble dealing with in Slowbro, Slowking, Gastro makes its job easier. It's hardest counter in Amoonguss is still fairly common, and Mega Lati is a huge annoyance if not running Dragon Pulse, but a lot of its other hard checks in Talonflame and M-Venu have not been as common as of late. The rise in Physdef Tangrowth as opposed to AV make it even easier for Serperior to break past opposing teams. This is simply a huge threat that is able to steamroll through teams not entirely prepared for it right now, and it should absolutely rise to A rank.
the most powerful skill in the game is the ability to induce yellow magic onto the opponent. serp has glare which gives it the ability to turn into a yellow magician and force torn-t to be paralysed. i think what crystalram has said is extremely true. despite the fact that serp starts off soft due to it's low special attack, its ability to consistently wear down what other mons need removed is simply amazing. i've been using the subseed set a lot right now and i think it really helps that it's cool speed tier tackles a lot of the top tier threats at the moment esp since that bulky offence / balance as an archetype is on the rise. i'd say yes to moving serp up to A rank. it's about time!
I'm gonna say no to this because Serperior hasn't changed or improved significantly to justify a raise. Also the "steamrolls through teams that aren't prepared" is something that applies to about any relatively high tier threat you don't prepare for. Not sure what else to say here really, maybe lots of people constantly lose to this thing on the merits of sub-par team-building / neglect rather than it being this fantastic mon it's being made out to be in these two posts.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Quick note on Mega Bro: He's one of like 2 megas (Gyarados-M being the other) that I feel the base form's viability should also be considered as a benefit to the Mega. The reason I say this is because you do not have to evolve either before you start your sweep. In a lot of teams I've included Bro-M in, he's my long term standard Slowbro wall until I mega evolve. All I miss out on is leftovers, and realistically that's not bad for bro because you even avoid knock off damage in some cases.

To say mega bro 'loses regenerator' is just to me not using him correctly. If you need the extra bulk, fine I understand. However most of the time base bro is strong enough to allow Bro to pivot until sweeping. When you want to threaten a win is the only time I'd suggest mega evolving there, and when bro is planning to stick in for the long run is when Mega Bro is really good. In short, I feel most cases with Mega Bro, you should be running him in base for as a pivot until you change the slot to become a sweeper/wincon.
The thought that the base form's viability is a plus for Mega Slowbro is certainly a misconception. There is a benefit to having a good base form, but overall this is a downside to the Mega's viability. I think Gyarados is a terrible comparison point for multiple reasons - its base and mega forms differ more signficantly and its base form is less viable than the mega meaning there's less of an opportunity cost to the upgrade. The only way they should be compared here is that sometimes it makes sense to stay non-mega - but the influence this has on the mega forms' viability is much different for the two cases.

It's true that having a good base form is good in some regards - you don't have to mega evolve right away, and you can play as a regular Slowbro for some of the match. However this is the only upside - there are multiple downsides. First of all Mega Slowbro is meant to be a late game sweeper and not so much a pivot throughout the game. If you utilize your Mega Slowbro as a regular Slowbro, you're bound to get Scald burned by Keldeo or Toxic'd by Heatran and this is going to neuter a sweep. These are only some examples - there are other mons which base form Mega Slowbro should not be pivoting into for fear of status conditions. This means if you intend to play your Mega Slowbro as a pivot early on, the number of pokemon you should be using it to check is smaller - anything that can status you, as well as strong physical attackers like Excadrill (non Leftovers Slowbro with 80+ Def does not take on LO Adamant Excadrill unless you Mega Evolve).

The other thing of course is opportunity cost of using your mega slot when you could use a regular Slowbro and a different mega. By using a regular Slowbro you open yourself up to a) the freedom to switch into more things for the most part and b) more viable moveset options. I've touched on a already so let's talk about b. If you are using Calm Mind Slowbro you don't want to be statused either but a Burn from Will-O-Wisp Talonflame for example does not hurt as much when you have Leftovers recovery. The more viable moveset options is a pretty big one - Mega Slowbro's viability is primarily based on CM STABs + Slack Off. It's true you can run those offensive tank sets but generally it's not recommended, and also you shouldn't be running something like STABs + TWave or Toxic which is very viable on regular Slowbro. So yeah there's a level of versatility that regular Slowbro provides which constitutes a much greater opportunity cost to utilize on Mega Slowbro.

Last edited:
Quick note on Mega Bro: He's one of like 2 megas (Gyarados-M being the other) that I feel the base form's viability should also be considered as a benefit to the Mega. The reason I say this is because you do not have to evolve either before you start your sweep. In a lot of teams I've included Bro-M in, he's my long term standard Slowbro wall until I mega evolve. All I miss out on is leftovers, and realistically that's not bad for bro because you even avoid knock off damage in some cases.

To say mega bro 'loses regenerator' is just to me not using him correctly. If you need the extra bulk, fine I understand. However most of the time base bro is strong enough to allow Bro to pivot until sweeping. When you want to threaten a win is the only time I'd suggest mega evolving there, and when bro is planning to stick in for the long run is when Mega Bro is really good. In short, I feel most cases with Mega Bro, you should be running him in base for as a pivot until you change the slot to become a sweeper/wincon.
The way I see it, bro's base form being more useful over the course of the game than it's mega is more a bad thing for megabro than a good thing. If you're gonna keep bro in its base form just so you can take advantage of regenerator, why not just use cm regular bro? Sure it misses out on the monsterous defense boost, but regular bro is certainly no slouch defensive-wise, it's the whole point he's viable in OU in the first place. And shell armor, while neat, doesn't do much besides deny RNG, which again is nice but regen is obviously the much more useful ability. So yeah drop megabro to B+

Reactions: amg

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
I think ppl are really focusing too much on losing Regenerator with mega bro. We know losing regen sucks. That's why it's a subrank below normal slowbro. It's not a reason for it to drop. Mega bro being B+ also puts it in the same rank as cune which I would think is something most people agree is ludicrous. Even with mega opportunity cost, putting something as damn near unbreakable as mega bro with cune is just not agreeable to me.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think ppl are really focusing too much on losing Regenerator with mega bro. We know losing regen sucks. That's why it's a subrank below normal slowbro. It's not a reason for it to drop. Mega bro being B+ also puts it in the same rank as cune which I would think is something most people agree is ludicrous. Even with mega opportunity cost, putting something as damn near unbreakable as mega bro with cune is just not agreeable to me.
I think you're really overhyping Mega Slowbro's "unbreakability." Didn't you call it the scariest wincon in the tier? That's simply not true unless your builds just aren't ready for it.

Suicune is slightly worse than Mega Slowbro but it has some significant advantages. It's a status absorber, it has much better special bulk to begin with (much much harder to break with special attacks at +1), fewer weaknesses, better speed which can definitely come into play, and doesn't take up a Mega slot. Also CM Roar sets are particularly threatening since you can prevent other mons from setting up alongside you (i.e. Manaphy or ironically Slowbro) which can allow Suicune to get an advantage in setting up. The lack of reliable recovery does hurt big time there's no doubt about that and it doesn't have Regen to utilize but I don't really think it's that big of a push to put them in the same rank. Honestly I usually worry more about Suicune than Mega Slowbro simply because many of the methods to deal with regular Slowbro (something I already take into account when building) are effective at defeating Mega Bro. Obviously I won't count Weavile but that'll never be my only way of breaking Slowbro lol

I'll be honest, I have no experience using Cune outside of UU (why you would use it over CM Manaphy is beyond me lol) but it seems about on par with Megabro: they're both cm users that, when they get a setup opportunity they can be hard to break, but on their own they can prove underwhelming. However I think a better comparison would be Mega Altaria: two mons that have potential to be really good, but in practice end up being rather underwhelming, need quite a bit of team support to function well, and have a lot of opportunity cost associated with them. I'd say they're both on the same level.

Suicune is used over Manaphy thanks to its considerably superior bulk and Pressure. You could argue Roar also, but I'm not really a fan of that as it forgoes Sleep Talk.

E: also the notion that they're both on a par with each other, and Mega Bro isn't true. The clue is in the name with Mega Bro: it takes up your Mega slot. Not to mention that Pressure has actual real uses with something like Suicune, whereas almost all of the time you have no ability at all with Mega Bro.

If garde drops it shouldnt be for most of those reasons. Gardevoir has quite a few niches over azumarill and i honestly dont even think theyre comparable. 100 isnt a middling speed tier, its quite decent honestly. and its a wallbreaker so lol idk where you get the idea that it doesnt hit hard. It hits much harder than diancie and diancie's secondary stab doesnt actually help it break fairy resists. Garde is quite the nightmare for fatter teams so im not really understanding your points.
With rock tying on diancie it hits fire types and takes neutral from poison tho its not too common. I personally like earth power on diancie since ground + fairy has perfect type coverage except for steel types to take neutral from earth power or are immune like bronzong and skarmory. Also with earth power its speed tier is 350 and also has a better match up versus offense since earth power diancie has limited switch ins. Though diancie must run protect, it doesn't hit nearly as hard as gardevoir does. Gardevoir shots on stall a lot better then diancie garden also has a Betier defensive typing and also isn't forced to run protect. Mega gardevoir is fine at A- if you ask me tho there are better fairies right now

Serperior: A- --> A

Honestly, this thing is such a menace right now. I'm mostly speaking on behalf on its SubSeed/SubGlare sets, which are, in my opinion, the best sets to be running in the meta right now. There's so much to like about this mon right now; it takes advantage of the biggest threats in the metagame in Keldeo, Rotom-W, Lando, Diancie, and can break past Clef and once it gets on a roll it even breaks past Scizor, Tyranitar, Azu; you get the point. The best thing about Serperior is that its checks either involve mons that have to be switched in and take either Leech Seed or Glare and get crippled such as Heatran or Torn. The only other way to easily check it is by revenging it with either of these two or mons like Lati/Weavile, showing that it has done its job well. The rise in bulky waters which Serp has no trouble dealing with in Slowbro, Slowking, Gastro makes its job easier. It's hardest counter in Amoonguss is still fairly common, and Mega Lati is a huge annoyance if not running Dragon Pulse, but a lot of its other hard checks in Talonflame and M-Venu have not been as common as of late. The rise in Physdef Tangrowth as opposed to AV make it even easier for Serperior to break past opposing teams. This is simply a huge threat that is able to steamroll through teams not entirely prepared for it right now, and it should absolutely rise to A rank.
Yes please lol. Serp is imo pretty underrated, it's speed tier along with contrary makes it difficult to stop once it starts going. Not to mention that glare sets can bait in and neuter checks (Torn, Tran, SpDef Talon) and sub-seed is just plain disgusting lmao. Serp can easily break down bulky teams, cripple would-be checks, and rk a lot of popular mons rn (Rotom, Keld, Diancie, etc.) and I believe the rankings shouls reflect that better than they do now. Also it can be said the Serp is nowhere near deserving of being on the same rank as Zard-Y and Megacross, as those two require a lot more team support than Serp does and come with great opportunity cost (kinda unfair to say that when Serp isn't a mega ik, but that just means you can have a mega with a lot less opportunity cost ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ)

HailFall

I admit maybe I am overestimating mega bro because no one else here seems to see what I see in it. Regardless it definitely is a big threat and giving it free turns can cost you the game unless you're packing something like serp.

As for comparisons to cune, the main issue I have with cune is how quickly it gets overwhelmed by physical attackers, and roar sets are forced to constantly rest vs quite a bit. Bro on the other hand basically is not getting broken by 90% of physical attackers and with shell armor after boosting it hits a point where you basically can't win against it lol. I guess the viability gap isn't quite as large as I made it out to be though, so I apologize for that.

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I think Serperior not deserve to be taken to A rank, Serp is undoubtedly a great pokemon, but in this metagame, where Weavile, priority users, Fast threats (aka mega Mlop & scarf users) are everywhere, it's hard to stay on the field with it , because it is under pressure from these, also now think it is clear that during the teambuilding should not fail a counter for Serp and BO / HO teams need a check for it, I think it is good in rank A-.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
the most powerful skill in the game is the ability to induce yellow magic onto the opponent. serp has glare which gives it the ability to turn into a yellow magician and force torn-t to be paralysed. i think what crystalram has said is extremely true. despite the fact that serp starts off soft due to it's low special attack, its ability to consistently wear down what other mons need removed is simply amazing. i've been using the subseed set a lot right now and i think it really helps that it's cool speed tier tackles a lot of the top tier threats at the moment esp since that bulky offence / balance as an archetype is on the rise. i'd say yes to moving serp up to A rank. it's about time!
I want to just quickly cite one tidbit of this. The ability to consistently wear down your checks is really unrealistic when your precious leaf storm only has 8 pp, and honestly its a huge downside to serperior as a whole. Running out of your STAB in the middle of a sweep is a very real issue, especially when grass is already resisted by every other mon, so it means that serp will be needing quite a bit of support from teammates to get rid of grass resists so that it does not burn through all of its own STAB and not being able to clean.
It is notable that subseed is one of the only special attackers that can consistently beat chansey though. But it's still nowhere on the level of threats like char-x, mega lopunny, excadrill, and talonflame.

I want to just quickly cite one tidbit of this. The ability to consistently wear down your checks is really unrealistic when your precious leaf storm only has 8 pp, and honestly its a huge downside to serperior as a whole. Running out of your STAB in the middle of a sweep is a very real issue, especially when grass is already resisted by every other mon, so it means that serp will be needing quite a bit of support from teammates to get rid of grass resists so that it does not burn through all of its own STAB and not being able to clean.
It is notable that subseed is one of the only special attackers that can consistently beat chansey though. But it's still nowhere on the level of threats like char-x, mega lopunny, excadrill, and talonflame.
It is true that Serp can't really wear down checks with Leaf Storm (Torn takes nothing and has regen, Tran takes nothing, Chansey takes nothing) but this is where glare sets and sub-seed sets are useful for being able to neuter (in glare's case; Tran and Torn hate getting paralyzed for obvious reasons) and wear them down (as you said, sub-seed consistently beats Chansey, and can also wear down Tran easily, tho Torn is harder since it can outspeed you and U-turn out into another fast mon predicting you to spam sub). Also I feel like Zard-X and Serp are a bit more comparable than you'd give them credit for: both are dangerous offensive threats that can do well against both bulky and more offensive teams (prehaps less so in Zard's case since it's slow before setting up but one DD under your belt and few things are outpacing Jolly Zard) but both need to be able to setup on something to be effective and need their checks/counters to be weakened or eliminated before sweeping properly. A quick note before leaving, all-out attacking sets can run giga drain as an alternative to leaf storm, it's strong after a boost or two and is also perfectly accurate

I admit maybe I am overestimating mega bro because no one else here seems to see what I see in it. Regardless it definitely is a big threat and giving it free turns can cost you the game unless you're packing something like serp.

As for comparisons to cune, the main issue I have with cune is how quickly it gets overwhelmed by physical attackers, and roar sets are forced to constantly rest vs quite a bit. Bro on the other hand basically is not getting broken by 90% of physical attackers and with shell armor after boosting it hits a point where you basically can't win against it lol. I guess the viability gap isn't quite as large as I made it out to be though, so I apologize for that.
Obviously, I am a big Mega Bro fan. I see first hand all the time just how good he can be. With Pokémon like Lopunny, Metagross, and Keldeo running rampant, MegaBro gets plenty of opportunities to switch in and set up. If you can kill Serp and weaken your opponent's team a little, all you need is to avoid Toxic and get a couple boosts. At +2, MegaBro is so hard to kill. My entire win condition is just killing Serp and Toxic mons and weakening special walls. Switch in on a Banded scizor or Azumarril locked into their priority and set up. I don't think there is a single Mon in the tier that can KO Slowbro with coverage, much less tank a +2 Scald/Psyshock and KO with coverage. I guess I understand why these dudes be saying B+, but I'm with you, MegaBro should stay A-.

Cm mega bro is cool and all with its insane def, useful ability, and reliable recovery, but it gets literally dunked on by so much while trying to set up, including scizor, serperior, manaphy, tornt, cb ttar, mega hera + more (scald exists but it doesnt help with checking these threats because they can just blow you away before you even get the chance to scald), the "mega or don't mega" situation is annoying for situations where you wanna be normal and have regen or mega and have the bulk and power, passive and active damage and status is a bitch even with regen in normal form + slack off/bad rest sets because having to heal constantly from being forced to repeatedly taking damage from so many different sources, like stray eqs, toxics, sr/spikes, and sand inhibits sweeping success (losing lefties is annoying too no passive recovery for you), taking up that mega slot when its reg form could preform the job as a fat cm user with almost the same efficiency, and sharing a rank with Bisharp and Skarmory doesn't seem right to me. Offensive is trash imo too, using up that mega slot for a mediocre bulky attacker is a bit wasteful imo, use Volcanion instead as volcanion is not only bulky, but it can utilize specs to make it hit pretty damn hard with hydro scald or lefties for useful passive recovery mega bro has slack off and amazing def but, again, it uses the mega slot

B+
imo

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Victini to go from C+ to B-? This thing is severely underrated as a wallbreaker. Choice banded V-Create hits damn hard, and the same goes for life orb and even choice scarf. I get that 100 speed doesn't give it a lot to work with, and the speed and defense drops from v-create will hurt, but the thing's movepool and bulk for a wallbreaker is insane, and it has reliable ways to deal with a lot of its checks (i. e. bolt strike, grass knot, focus blast, glaciate). It just has too much offensive versatility to be in C+, and I'd definitely like to see it rise to B-. Please discuss?

HailFall

A weakness to stealth rock, pursuit, and rocky helmet/iron barbs/rough skin damage all hold victini back as a wallbreaker. Pursuit trapping has been rising in viability, and the speed and defense drops from V-Create make it all the more susceptible to it. Its just too easy to revenge kill even if it has good wallbreaking abilities, similarly to hoopa-c. The metagame has only been getting worse for victini with sand and pursuit trapping everywhere so this really isnt the time for it to rise. Its a good wallbreaker but it needs a lot of support and struggles vs common team archetypes. It should stay where it is.

Victini to go from C+ to B-? This thing is severely underrated as a wallbreaker. Choice banded V-Create hits damn hard, and the same goes for life orb and even choice scarf. I get that 100 speed doesn't give it a lot to work with, and the speed and defense drops from v-create will hurt, but the thing's movepool and bulk for a wallbreaker is insane, and it has reliable ways to deal with a lot of its checks (i. e. bolt strike, grass knot, focus blast, glaciate). It just has too much offensive versatility to be in C+, and I'd definitely like to see it rise to B-. Please discuss?
I don't necessarily disagree with this nom since I don't use (or see) Victini that often, but the metagame isn't very favorable to physically offensive Victini right now. Pursuit has never been more popular in OU, and anytime Victini clicks V-Create it's going to die if your opponent has Ttar or Weavile, no matter what the set is due to the speed and defense drops from the move. Rocky Helmet Chomp isn't nearly as popular as it used to be fortunately for Victini, but that's only because Rocky Helmet Lando has replaced him on most teams. Sand is also super popular and those archetypes genearlly have little problem running all over Victini.
The special set is solid but idk if anything has changed to make it significantly better.

Edit: Ninja'd

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I do not agree in bringing Victini in B-, for many reasons, after the release of Volcanion, the metagame has become too "compact", where Landorus-t is always top-usage, and is probably the best pokemon of the moment (as it always has been, in my opinion), also the ttar increase in usage makes it useless against bulky offense running Mdiancie, tyranitar, Keldeo, Weavile, Bisharp, the metagame is now unfavorable for it, I do not find way to bring him B-; I could agree with you when we Hoopa-u was OU , at that time the metagame had much offensive trend, then scarf revenge killers and Wallbreakers were very hard advantage.

Saw a post on page nine by -Magic- about unranking Whimsicott and didn't really see any replies about it, so might as well post my thoughts.
Whimsicott should remain D rank imo. Sure, it seems pretty bad, especially when you compare it to things like Tangrowth and Amoongus, and its nice set of resistances is kind of irrelevant when you see its crappy defense and special defense stats (basically all of its stats, tbh), but Whimsicott should be ranked as it has a defined niche in the metagame and is pretty good at what it does. Whimsicott's decent movepool and immunity to Dragon type makes it a decent pivot for balance teams that appreciate the speed control Whimsicott provides. Priority Encore is an extremely valuable thing to have, as it allows you to switch in pokemon setting up, such as Clef and Zard X, and lock them into their setup move, forcing them to switch out. From there, Whimsicott has several options on how to punish the switch, such as stun spore, knock off, or u-turn, all which result in an increase of momentum for the player.

Whimsicott's versatile moveset allows the player to prepare for certain threats to their team that they are weak to. For example, if a balance team is weak to stall and decides to add Whimsicott to their team for speed control and utility, Whimsicott can use a moveset containing Knock Off, Moonblast, Encore, and Stun Spore. STAB Moonblast allows Whimsicott to 2HKO Mega Sableye most of the time, which in turn forces it out from mega evolving, allowing an easier time for you to set up hazards. Furthermore, Knock Off really hurts stall's answers to Whimsicott, mainly Heatran, which really appreciates the passive recovery. Lastly, Encore prevents things like Clefable and Chansey from doing their job properly. Against balance teams, Whimsicott really shines as its speed control in Prankster Stun Spore is extremely useful. Being able to paralyze ground types (Landorus in particular) is pretty sweet, too. Against offense, Whimsicott's speed control is extremely useful, being able to cripple things like Mega Lopunny and Weavile with the correct prediction. Access to Momentum can act as a nice setup for a setup sweeper you have on your team, such as Zard X.

Regarding metagame shifts, I've seen no rises or drops that really affect Whimsicott's ranking that much. The presence of Volcanion is actually somewhat beneficial for Whimsicott, as it consequently raises the usage of Landorus, which Whimsicott has a pretty good matchup against. Sand is still pretty strong and with correct prediction Whimsicott can really help you gain momentum by forcing it out with Encore if it Sword Dances or Earthquakes and then punishing the switch. Garchomp is still extremely common and Whimsicott pretty much cockblocks most variants. Whimsicott is actually a decent check to the pretty common Keldeo, as if it switches into secret sword, it can force it out with encore and gain momentum with it's several options. Latios is still a strong pokemon in the metagame and is checked by Whimsicott due to the pressure of being Encored on a Defog or Draco Meteor. Mega Latias is a great pokemon still and Whimsicott acts a a great check.
So, yeah, Whimsicott should remain D rank do to possessing a pretty good niche in the current metagame.

HailFall

Sheddy D -> Unranked

Sheddy is honestly not the sort of thing newcomers should see on this list. Yes there are (highly inconsistent) shedinja stall teams and yes, it is usable, but current metagame trends have unfortunately turned sheddy from gimmicky to outright bad.

The first and foremost issue is the susceptibility to pursuit in a pursuit heavy metagame. Smart doubles are a very fundamental technique in breaking stall, and one wrong move means sheddy is gone for the rest of the game. There is no room for misplay using shedinja at all. This means sheddy tends to be very easily removed by players with a pursuit trapper and any semblance of skill. And unfortunately for sheddy, the things it checks are very often paired with pursuit trappers regardless (keldeo, manaphy, etc.).

Secondly, the massive spike in sand usage forces sheddy to run safety goggles if it wants to avoid being totally useless or totally dead while sand is up. Unfortunately not running focus sash leaves sheddy susceptible to pursuit, so it's really a lose/lose situation.

The third and final thing holding sheddy back is more of an issue for mega sableye, but shedinja is so reliant on mega sableyes support that this has valid correlation to shedinjas viability. More and more builds are using rockers like offensive sd lum garchomp that can get rocks up on mega sableye thanks to their offensive prowess. It being harder to keep rocks off is a massive issue for sheddy because it dies on entry if rocks are set.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Random non but can Thundurus-T move down to C or even possibly lower. First off I feel it faces way too much competition to be on the same level as Sharpedo and Zapdos and I think it fits more along the lines of Seismitoad and Feraligatr who are good pokemon but face competition with something sharing the same set of traits. In fact I feel Thundurus-T is worse comparison to the Pokemon that it struggles with for a team slot which is why I would leave this open to dropping lower. Mega Manectric is naturally fast and doesn't rely on Agility as well as not having a SR weakness is neat especially when it also has an extra slot for Volt Switch to abuse, Fire coverage is superior in every case but TTar and Heatran (which FBlast does hit) who doesn't like taking constant Volt Switches over and over again. Thun-I on the other hand is way more diverse and doesn't even needed Agility since it peaks over most of Agilities targets. Even then it has TWave to cripple faster things if it wants and can even hax its way through that situation as well. Thun-T is too hard to justify on most teams and definitely isn't comparable to the other Pokemon that lie in C+ which are actually pretty decent.

Sheddy D -> Unranked

Sheddy is honestly not the sort of thing newcomers should see on this list. Yes there are (highly inconsistent) shedinja stall teams and yes, it is usable, but current metagame trends have unfortunately turned sheddy from gimmicky to outright bad.

The first and foremost issue is the susceptibility to pursuit in a pursuit heavy metagame. Smart doubles are a very fundamental technique in breaking stall, and one wrong move means sheddy is gone for the rest of the game. There is no room for misplay using shedinja at all. This means sheddy tends to be very easily removed by players with a pursuit trapper and any semblance of skill. And unfortunately for sheddy, the things it checks are very often paired with pursuit trappers regardless (keldeo, manaphy, etc.).

Secondly, the massive spike in sand usage forces sheddy to run safety goggles if it wants to avoid being totally useless or totally dead while sand is up. Unfortunately not running focus sash leaves sheddy susceptible to pursuit, so it's really a lose/lose situation.

The third and final thing holding sheddy back is more of an issue for mega sableye, but shedinja is so reliant on mega sableyes support that this has valid correlation to shedinjas viability. More and more builds are using rockers like offensive sd lum garchomp that can get rocks up on mega sableye thanks to their offensive prowess. It being harder to keep rocks off is a massive issue for sheddy because it dies on entry if rocks are set.
Yeah he describes it pretty well but Shedinja was already a pretty awful pokemon. Its gimmick sounds great on paper but with how many common types it's weak to (rock, flying, dark, etc) not to mention stealth cocks just go to town on its haunted ass. That combined with the aforementioned susceptibility to pursuit and sand and you suddenly realize that Shedinja team would do a hell of a lot betrer without it. Just get it up out, it's pretty misleading to show it as a viable mon to new players, even if it is listed as one of the shittiest ones in the tier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)